The Paranormal

Guest Formerly Known as FKAJ

I've been watching episodes from the first series of The X-Files over the last couple of months, and sonething I've noticed is that I often don't have to suspend my disbelief. That is, quite a few of the paranormal phenomena they deal with I actually find myself believing in.

Here's the thing: the ones that I do or don't believe in often seem to be totally arbitrary. I don't know where the line is for me. For starters, I have no problem with the alien abduction MythArc, because I believe in the Roswell Incident conspiracy theories. But I don't believe in energy beings like the one that possesses Lt. Colonel Belt in the episode Space. I believe in ESP but not the people who claim to be able to contact the dead. I believe in homicidal 11-year-old clones, but not an 8-year old girl with telekinetic powers resulting from being reincarnated from a murdered police officer. I believe in genetically mutant cannibals, but not werewolfs, vampires or ghosts. I usually do the same when watching Star Trek, assessing whether each new Alien of the Week is plausible based on criteria that I can't explain even to myself.

What, if anything, do you believe in?

Things I believe in:

God/s

Jesus

Science

Magic

Curses

Ghosts

Spirits

Mediums

Psychics

ESP

Tarot

Telekinesis

The law of attraction

Unicorns

Mutations/diseases (animals or people having physical or psychological abnormalities that could lead to the perception of them being "super" natural)

Parallel universes

Things I almost believe in:

Angels

Faeries

Vampires (the traditional kind, not human beings who drink blood by choice - they exist)

Werewolves

Big Foot

Nessy

Chupacrabra

Crop Circles/Alien contact

Voodoo/Zombies (corpse reanimation)

Dragons (I have a theory that there were dinosaurs that survived long enough to be confronted by human beings, hence the legend of dragons)

Things I don't believe in:

Alien abduction

Alien invasion/body snatchers

Aliens running the government...

The government covering up the fact that they're all aliens, or at least working for the aliens...

Giant Lizard people who mask their true identity by messing with our brain waves to make us see on an alternative wavelength, one where they appear human o_O (There are seriously people who believe this...)

Scientology

I'll pretty much believe in anything, but I have a real aversion to Alien conspiracies. Not the possibility of Aliens existing, mind you - it's a bloody big universe out there - just the paranoia that surrounds it. I always hated those episodes in the X-Files, except for the initial abduction of Samantha. That was fine as a catalyst, but when it took over the WHOLE show... bleh.

Jem, your list is pretty close to mine. But I have some alterations.

Things I believe in:

Spirits

Reincarnation*

Science

Ghosts

Curses

Halloween* (Very big believer of this... I guess because it originated here...)

Tarot Reading

Other 'worlds'. Not Mars or any of that crap. But the other planets that haven't been 'found'...

*I know that may sound stupid... Believing in reincarnation and also believing that spirits come back, but I think that even though you reincarnate, some spirit will always be left behind.

Trolls, Elves, Unicorns Nessy, Big Foot etc.

Telekinesis

Werewolves

Crop Circles

Witches

Scientology

UFOs flying into the WTC and the Pentagon. It was clearly human terrorism. Move on.

Little green men, aka Aliens.

Things I believe in:

God/s

Jesus

Science

Magic

Curses

Ghosts

Spirits

Mediums

Psychics

ESP

Tarot

Telekinesis

The law of attraction

Unicorns

Mutations/diseases (animals or people having physical or psychological abnormalities that could lead to the perception of them being "super" natural)

Parallel universes

Angels

Faeries

Vampires (the traditional kind, not human beings who drink blood by choice - they exist)

Werewolves

Big Foot

Nessy

Chupacrabra

Crop Circles/Alien contact

Voodoo/Zombies (corpse reanimation)

Dragons (I have a theory that there were dinosaurs that survived long enough to be confronted by human beings, hence the legend of dragons)

Alien abduction

Alien invasion/body snatchers

Aliens running the government...

The government covering up the fact that they're all aliens, or at least working for the aliens...

Giant Lizard people who mask their true identity by messing with our brain waves to make us see on an alternative wavelength, one where they appear human o_O (There are seriously people who believe this...)

Scientology

I'll pretty much believe in anything, but I have a real aversion to Alien conspiracies. Not the possibility of Aliens existing, mind you - it's a bloody big universe out there - just the paranoia that surrounds it. I always hated those episodes in the X-Files, except for the initial abduction of Samantha. That was fine as a catalyst, but when it took over the WHOLE show... bleh.

Dude, I can pretty much ditto all of that except for the following:

I absolutely do believe in faeries and angels and also reincarnation.

I believe in soulmates, but also that they come in different forms. A soulmate can be a lover, a best friend, a parent, etc. They are simply a soul that is meant to be a part of your life. Usually soulmates share past lifetime connections, but I also believe in new connections as not every soul has lived a thousand times or more. I believe in soul ages. Oh, and the romantic notion of soulmates also exists.

I believe in karma.

I believe in intuition, that we all have it, we just need to tune it in.

I do believe in curses, but I also believe that curses work with the victim's belief that they are just that, a victim. If you've ever seen Practical Magic: Gary Hallet to Sally Owens: "Curses only have power if you believe in them. And I don't."

And I wouldn't rule out time travel. Because really, with everything else I believe strongly in, why shouldn't it exist?

I don't believe that there is one right way religion wise. I do believe all religions are the same song, different tunes. Same dance, different steps. And so on and so forth.

Ohh, I love these topics!

Things I believe in:

God

Jesus

Science

Aliens - Not the little green men in flying saucers but I believe there is defiantly other forms of intelligent life in the universe besides us. The universe is too large and vast not too have other intelligent life forms simply by the law of averages.

Things I don’t believe in:

Mythical beings such as Vampires, Werewolfs, Cyclopses, Unicorns etc.

Things I’m unsure about:

Magic

Ghosts

Spirits

Telepathy

Telekinesis

Psychics

Jem, your list is pretty close to mine. But I have some alterations.

Things I believe in:

Spirits

Reincarnation*

Science

Ghosts

Curses

Halloween* (Very big believer of this... I guess because it originated here...)

Tarot Reading

Other 'worlds'. Not Mars or any of that crap. But the other planets that haven't been 'found'...

*I know that may sound stupid... Believing in reincarnation and also believing that spirits come back, but I think that even though you reincarnate, some spirit will always be left behind.

Trolls, Elves, Unicorns Nessy, Big Foot etc.

Telekinesis

Werewolves

Crop Circles

Witches

Scientology

UFOs flying into the WTC and the Pentagon. It was clearly human terrorism. Move on.

Little green men, aka Aliens.

My list is the same as yours, more or less.

I believe in God and Jesus. I believe in angels - not of the guardian sort - the celestial beings who live in heaven. I think that Hell is a very real entity, and the devil is a part of this. I definitely think that evil spirits and demons exist, too.

I don't go in for Scientology, alien abductions, communicating with the dead, mediums or any of that jazz.

emmasi- Your list is pretty much the same as mine as well, but with a few changes.

Things I believe in:

God

Jesus

Intuition

ESP (Strong believer of that)

Psychics

Mediums (somewhat)

Spirits

Science

Unknown worlds

Telekinesis

Telepathy