University and College etc.

Guest Eli

Holy crap!

I just do chemistry by itself and I think I don't have any time. Do you enjoy it?

i do chemistry as well! i'm at st. andrews (in scotland)...where do you do it?

I'm at Leeds, absolutely awesome uni life here. I love love love it.

Uni applications = the biggest head ache ever.

Im so glad i found this thread. I know so much about uni and uni courses (so please fee free to ask) but I still have no idea what to do and im 22! i've looked at every course up and down the country. Im pretty bright so getting in shouldnt be too much of a problem. I obv want to go to a well respected uni, but i have no idea what I want to do! arggh its so frustrating!

I love drama, i also love teaching and being around kids and cultural studies and tourism also interests me. Sorry if i sound big headed and clueless but i really dont have a clue! has anyone ever been in my situation? and of course id love to study abroad!

Absolutely. Applying to uni was the biggest nightmare of my life. Like you, I was good at school and so it was pretty much just choosing what I wanted to do and I had no idea. It's frustrating when everyone around you seems to know what they want to study and you just can't decide. What I did was when everyone else was applying I put it off for a year and then took a gap year to decide whether or not I actually wanted to go. It's hard to know what you're going to enjoy before you get there, in the end just go for something you've got an interest in and then when you get there you'll work it out. There's always the option of changing at the beginning of the year if you don't like it. Good luck!

I am hoping to study Education Studies at Leeds Met Uni.

Leeds is great, you'll love it! :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my friends here in Norway has applied to go to Leeds next year, and from what I've heard her say about it's great :)

I'm finally feeling like I'm settling down on a decision regarding what I'm going to do next year. I think I'm going to apply to four different one year degrees. Social studies, English and Psychology, all at the University of Oslo. The fourth one year degree I'm going to apply to is the one I think I want the most though, Christianity, Religion and Life Stance at the Norwegian School of Theology.

I found that even if you think you know what you want to do, you will always have doubts about if you really enjoy it after a semester. I think that maybe it's best if you take a selection of papers in what interests you, and see where they take you (there's bound to be subjects that you really dislike after a semester).

For my BA I started with a major in Modern Languages and taking papers in Linguistics, German, Italian, and International Relations. After a semester I dropped Italian. During the second semester I stopped doing my IR paper because it was too complex, and I perservered with Linguistics although it was soooo boring.I'm now a German and Political Science Major, and although I am yet to do a pols paper, I did write an essay for someone (she even got a A- for it :( )and realllly enjoyed it.

Just remember Char- try new stuff because for all you know, it could be something you stick with :)

It doesn't really work like that in England, generally. Like, for example, I'm taking Single Honours Italian - so I do three Italian modules and one English one, and I'll take them all for the rest of the year. Only the English module was free choice. I couldn't really change now to English if I wanted to. You can also do Joint Hours, so I've got a friend doing English Lit. and German, for example, but even then you don't get that much module choice. I think it's slightly different at some Scottish universities, though.

• 3 months later...

Hey!

I'm going to Uni in September, and I've now put my firm choice as University of Manchester, and my insurance as University of Newcastle. However, I only ever visited Manchester (risky, I know... especially as I'm not going to get my firm choice grades). Also, to help situations, I have to apply for accomodation for Newcastle within the next coulple of days, and I obviously have no clue where to choose!

I want self-catering... but apart from that, I'm not too fussy. I think I'd rather a mixed sex place to avoid girlish squabbles. Maybe nearer to the University, unless there's a great student place outside of the city centre (like at Manchester) then I could be tempted to live elsewhere.

So does anyone go to Newcastle, or has been to Newcastle, or is about to go to Newcastle that could help me? Pretty please? :D

It doesn't really work like that in England, generally. Like, for example, I'm taking Single Honours Italian - so I do three Italian modules and one English one, and I'll take them all for the rest of the year. Only the English module was free choice. I couldn't really change now to English if I wanted to. You can also do Joint Hours, so I've got a friend doing English Lit. and German, for example, but even then you don't get that much module choice. I think it's slightly different at some Scottish universities, though.

I got told about that by someone else too, Mind you I definitely couldn't cope with being bogged down by what I could take. I have a friend who started out doing a BCA (bachelor of commerce and administration), is now doing a BA in Psychology and Sociology, and now wants to change that to a Bsc in Psychology and Sociology. Now that i'm in my second year of my double degree, I have sights set firmly on what I want to get out of my degree and i'm taking papers that reflect that.Our honours system is different too, you must be invited in and it's dependant on your 1st and 2nd year results for your degree/major.

I got told about that by someone else too, Mind you I definitely couldn't cope with being bogged down by what I could take. I have a friend who started out doing a BCA (bachelor of commerce and administration), is now doing a BA in Psychology and Sociology, and now wants to change that to a Bsc in Psychology and Sociology. Now that i'm in my second year of my double degree, I have sights set firmly on what I want to get out of my degree and i'm taking papers that reflect that.Our honours system is different too, you must be invited in and it's dependant on your 1st and 2nd year results for your degree/major.

I suppose it's what you're used to and what you've been brought up around, 'cause I'd find all that choice baffling!

Yeah, Honours here is automatic (unless you do really, really, really badly...).

There's a course I've been looking at for a few years now. It's Photographic Media @ Griffith College. It's a private College, so it's fee-paying. But I've noticed something strange...

Duration of course: 3 years (BA) Full time OR Part time

Fees: €5600 Full time, €3900 Part time (per year)

So, if I do part time, it's cheaper, but I'm still finished in 3 years? Apparently it's the first of its kind in the country, but it's almost too good to be true. There doesn't seem to be a catch... :unsure:

Archived