University and College etc.

Guest Eli

I don't need to worry about this yet for a couple of years but I want to do law, which shouldn't be a problem at A-Level, I only need three C's. But at university level, I can't seem to find a university anywhere in the UK or Ireland that does entertainment or music/media law which is what I want to specialize in. But this isn't my problem, I have a question, does anyone know how long I need to study law at university?

EDIT: I went on the UCAS site recommended earlier, I found out that Bournemouth University does entertainment law. General law for the first year, Entertainment for the second year and a placement for the third. So I was looking at the entry requirements, it said I need 320+ points to enter in 2010, which I won't be doing so I will probably need more. It sent me to here but it doesn't make sense. Is it possible to gain 320+ points with GCSEs, AS-levels and A-levels?

To get 320 points, you need ABB at 'A'-Level (this is pretty low for Law, to be honest - a lot of places routinely want AAB/AAA). AS Levels don't count because they automatically get added to your final grade if you carry the subject on for the two years. The only time an AS Level counts is if you drop it at the end of the first year of college. GCSEs aren't a high enough qualification to be recognised for points, although certain very competitive courses (such as medicine, or anything at Oxford/Cambridge, sometimes Warwick) will want A*s/As in certain subjects//a certain number, just to try and differentiate between candidates. If you do high grade (Grade 5+) music exams, or certain LAMDA drama qualifications, then these can be counted, too.

The standard law degree is three years, but it is possible to do another degree and then just do a law conversion course for a year.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was planning on going to Warwick Uni next september but turns out they are very snobbish when it comes to students from the Access to Higher Education course. You have to have a GCSE B in Math, which means I would have to study for the Higher Math paper and that is extra work.

I thought they'd changed it so that it's possible to get a B on Foundation?

Warwick. :wub:

It is 2 tier instead of 3 now; Foundation and Higher. We are doing the higher exams for 4 of the exams but foundation for the last 2 unless we ask to do the higher. To get a B grade I would need to do all at higher, something I think will be very hard for me.

Shame though because it is a beaut of a uni :wink:

BA (Hons.) in Italian at the University of Warwick, starting in two weeks. Arghhh!

By the way, Eli, I don't know what it's like for international students, but I don't think the entry grades for Brighton are that high... although I think it's more expensive for you than it is for us.

Why Brighton, btw?

Jess, I am now officially jealous! Italian is my favorite language. I speak it pretty well, but don't read or write it (and haven't had time to try and learn yet) :(

Warwick is a great uni...I have friends there and one of my doctoral supervisors is a professor there.

I don't need to worry about this yet for a couple of years but I want to do law, which shouldn't be a problem at A-Level, I only need three C's. But at university level, I can't seem to find a university anywhere in the UK or Ireland that does entertainment or music/media law which is what I want to specialize in. But this isn't my problem, I have a question, does anyone know how long I need to study law at university?

EDIT: I went on the UCAS site recommended earlier, I found out that Bournemouth University does entertainment law. General law for the first year, Entertainment for the second year and a placement for the third. So I was looking at the entry requirements, it said I need 320+ points to enter in 2010, which I won't be doing so I will probably need more. It sent me to here but it doesn't make sense. Is it possible to gain 320+ points with GCSEs, AS-levels and A-levels?

This would mean at least 2 A's or A*'s so if you can get that then then yeh it is possible. The points are calculated on the as and a2 grades.

This would mean at least 2 A's or A*'s so if you can get that then then yeh it is possible. The points are calculated on the as and a2 grades.

I don't think unis are gonna make the new A* a part of their offer... I think it's just so that they can distinguish between candidates. Yeah, A2s count, but the AS Levels are added in to them, so they don't count per se. So, for example, if you took Biology 'A'-Level, you'd count your overall grade once, not the AS and A2 grades separately. :wink:

BA (Hons.) in Italian at the University of Warwick, starting in two weeks. Arghhh!

By the way, Eli, I don't know what it's like for international students, but I don't think the entry grades for Brighton are that high... although I think it's more expensive for you than it is for us.

Why Brighton, btw?

Jess, I am now officially jealous! Italian is my favorite language. I speak it pretty well, but don't read or write it (and haven't had time to try and learn yet) :(

Warwick is a great uni...I have friends there and one of my doctoral supervisors is a professor there.

Aww, I was gonna write something, but if you can't read it then that could be a problem... :wink:

Warwick = :wub:

Why Brighton, btw?

Aww, I was gonna write something, but if you can't read it then that could be a problem... :wink:

Warwick = :wub:

You could write and give me translation? ^_^

The weeks I've spent in Milan over the years means I recognise some words...I just wish I had more time to study the language!

I guess if I apply for (and get) the research position I'm intersted in I'd HAVE to learn to read and write Italian (position is in Trieste)

Archived