Back to the Future

Guest solaris

:lol: Loved it! Esp Belle's quip about Aden's sleeping!

The beginning was great - I love how, even though they've slept together, Aden still has that barrier at times. Very realistic.

I wonder how the Geoff and Aden talk will go. Aden seems to be over it... a bit.

Cannot wait for more! :D

xoxo

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The beginning was great - I love how, even though they've slept together, Aden still has that barrier at times. Very realistic.

I wonder how the Geoff and Aden talk will go. Aden seems to be over it... a bit.

xoxo

EEP! Unless I've written this wrong, they've shared a bed but they've never made love. If I've written it wrong will someone PLEASE tell me?

xoxo

EEP! Unless I've written this wrong, they've shared a bed but they've never made love. If I've written it wrong will someone PLEASE tell me?

Oh, ooops. :blush: You're most probably right [seeing as it's your fic]. I'm probably getting muddled up with the many different Adelle fics out there. Sorry!

I had the same confusion as Taniya, lol. Glad that got cleared up though! Excellent chapter! I loved the way you wrote that scene with Aden and Belle in bed... perfection! I loved it!!! that line from Geoff about Darwin was hilarious! Should be interesting to hear his apology!

Can't wait for more! Please update soon!!!!!!! :D

Update time :D

This chapter took a turn away from what I'd planned, a somewhat heated discussion in the office managed to put the proverbial bee in my bonnet about the right of the individual to hold an opinion - so long as they didn't allow that opinion to make them discriminatory/behave in an inapropriate manner.

Warning - Some stronger language, homosexuality is a theme...some may find the manner it's dealt with offensive - it isn't intended to be! In addition, I'm not ripping the mick out of religion - I have a great deal of respect for faiths of all kinds.

Chapter 34

The tone of Geoff's voice immediately caught Aden's attention, there was something 'off' about it...but he wasn't sure what.

“Sure!”

Geoff nodded an acknowledgement and followed Aden outside to the chairs in the patio area, Aden had always brought his second cup of coffee out here for some reason. Sheer determination made him snag a chair and sit down...what he really wanted to do was put as much distance as possible between himself and this mess. Aden had always been pretty good at reading people's moods, something that had been an evil necessity for him around his father and grandfather. He'd long had a tendency to look towards the bad rather than the good, but that was also evening out – one more thing he could thank Belle for he mused. Pulling his thought back on track he watched Geoff, it didn't take a genius to figure out that something was very wrong – Geoff was beyond uncomfortable and making little effort to hide it. The obvious discomfort was a little surprising; since the whole Geoff and Nicole thing had kicked into gear they'd put their differences behind them, recently their interactions had even been friendly. It was time to move this along.

“What's up?”

Geoff was sat with his elbows on his knees and his head down, lost in his own thoughts. Aden's question snapped him out of his reverie, making him pay attention to where he was and the reason for it...oh how he wished the apology was for a different transgression in a different subject area! He took a deep breath and started to speak.

“I...I ow you an apology...”

Aden's eyes opened wide, his confusion evident.

“What for?”

Geoff winced, but continued.

“For what I implied...what I said...yesterday. I was out of line, it was wrong for me to suggest that you must be...”

“Gay?”

Aden finished the sentence when Geoff floundered, Geoff nodded.

“I shouldn't have said it, I just...”

He trailed off with a shrug. Aden had been observing Geoff carefully, he decided to fill in the blanks and see what response he got. He had a bad feeling that this discussion was a can of worms and he was the tin opener...there was the potential for this to get messy.

“It was just so far outside the boundaries you're familiar with that you jumped in with both feet and reach a pile of inaccurate conclusions?”

A wry half smile lifted the corner of Geoff's mouth, sometimes Aden's perceptiveness surprised him.

“I think that qualifies as an understatement!”

He jammed his hands back through his already tousled hair and laughed, but it wasn't a happy sound.

“I didn't think it was possible for...”

He broke off, a tide off scarlet embarrassment crawling up his face to the tips of his ears – he hated the ease with which he blushed.

“You didn't think it was possible for a guy to be raped!”

The statement was flat and definitive, he had no need to make it a question. The rise and fall of one shoulder was the only reply he got, it was all he needed. In his opinion it was time for Geoff to acquaint himself with some of the realities of the modern world, now he knew this was going to get messy – he should have accepted the apology and left matters there!

“One question then.”

Aden waited until he had the younger man's complete attention.

“If the mechanics of how such an action could be committed were beyond your comprehension, what on earth did you think actually went on in a homosexual relationship? I'm more than a little confused given you earlier – incorrect – conclusions...”

At first the question made no sense and Geoff continued to look at Aden, blinking like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car. Then it made too much sense! All the colour drained from his face and he made a dive to the nearby bushes.

“Ah hell.”

Aden muttered under his breath, Belle wasn't going to be pleased about this turn of events. He stood and headed for the kitchen, he picked up some tissue and filled a glass with water whilst he was there. When he went back outside, Geoff was still by the bushes. He was bent over with his hands on his knees, considering the possibility of being ill again when he heard footsteps behind him. A wad of tissue appeared under his nose and he accepted it gratefully, wiping the tears from his eyes and cleaning himself up a bit. Standing up properly, he turned t face Aden who handed him the glass of water.

“Thanks.”

Aden shrugged.

“I guess it's my turn to apologise, I had no idea you'd react like that. I just...”

Geoff's gaze steadied in his direction.

“Didn't realise just how sick that image is?”

The ill concealed hostility in the words set Aden back a pace, that hadn't been what he was thinking – not even close – but it was a telling statement.

“Actually I was gonna say that I hadn't realised exactly how sheltered you'd been! I mean, I knew you'd had a sheltered up-bringing, you've said enough to give that away any how but still...”

Geoff was still watching him, so he continued.

“There more than just a lack of knowledge isn't there? As a matter of fact, I think there are issues...issues with a capital I!”

Geoff hadn't moved, his eyes were bloodshot and his face still devoid of colour from throwing up. It was clear that Aden was waiting for a response.

“It's wrong, It goes against God's teaching...it isn't natural!”

Geoff's stance was set, he wasn't going to back away from this and Aden recognised that. He pinched the bridge of his nose, squeezing his eyes shut...he was now really regretting starting this. How the heck was he going to get away from the mess he'd managed to create?

“What's going on here?”

Belle's cool, crisp tone snapped both men out of their stand-off and back to an awareness of their surroundings. Both had been so engrossed in their 'discussion' that they hadn't heard her exit the house. Geoff pulled himself together faster than Aden did.

“I was apologising for Aden, for what I said yesterday.”

Belle could believe that...up to a point, but she'd bet her favourite earrings that there was more to this than just a difficult apology.

“I've known you a long time Geoff, if you think I'm going to believe that making an apology is enough to make you puke...think again!”

That piece of advice was delivered in the same crisp manner, but her tone brooked no argument. Belle wasn't buying the explanation!

“I'll repeat the question, what's going on?”

Aden grimaced and capitulated.

“He's telling the truth, he did apologise...but the conversation moved on some from there.”

Belle turned her attention to her boyfriend.

“Carry on!”

Aden rubbed his hands over his face, he was headed towards Belle's back books...again!

“I just asked him a question, one that was based on his assumptions about me! How was I to know that he'd throw up and then go all 'God Squad' on me?”

Belle's eyes narrowed, she crossed her arms and prepared to take both Aden a Geoff to task if needed.

“Because you have more perception that the average slug?”

He voice conveyed her displeasure more thoroughly in it quiet control than any shout could ever manage.

“Because you know Geoff's background? Not to mention his extremely strict beliefs?”

Aden moved uncomfortably, she was right...he should have known better.

“It doesn't change the fact that his comments are seriously outdated...in Australia at least.”

Belle considered that...he was right...up to a point.

“Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that those are his beliefs. Should those beliefs lead him to treat a person badly just because of who they are...that's wrong, but each person is entitled to their own opinion. It's called freedom!”

“But...”

Belle expelled an exasperated breath.

“But nothing! Discrimination is wrong, having an opinion isn't! This discussion is over, we're going inside. Geoff; a shower, change of clothes and some mouthwash might be a good idea before you see Nic!

They acquiesced to her instructions...before she felt the need to emphasise them!

Geoff puking up is a funny image.

I loved Belle's mini-speech at the end. I hope that got the message through to the two of them.

Cannot wait for more. I wonder if there's going to be more awkwardness between Geoff/Aden now. And Aden/Belle after what he said...

Update soon.

Archived