Beauty In The Breakdown

Guest whispered_envy

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I ended up getting a new fish! :P

Umm...this is a pretty long one. Warnings: More depression/suicial themes. One day it might get happier...maybe. :P

Chapter Thirteen:

“I believe everyone has the ability to help themselves- it’s just a matter of whether they are willing to.”

Dr Kempton’s sentence echoed through Aden’s head as he wandered away from the clinic’s main building and out into the garden. The perfectly manicured plants stood neatly in amongst flower beds, providing a quiet setting for people to think.

Seeds of doubt planted themselves in Aden’s mind. Could he really help himself? Was he willing to? He had told Dr Kempton that he was, but could he actually hold true to his word? There was so much that he had to deal with- his grandfather, his father, his brothers, his mother, Belle, Roman, himself- was he ready to deal with it? Another question popped up in Aden’s mind- would he ever be ready to deal with it?

He flopped under a large tree, closing his eyes. He let out a small groan- there were too many questions, most he didn’t have to answer to.

There came a voice from the other side of the tree. “You right there?”

Aden jumped. He hadn’t realised anyone else had been around. Blushing slightly, he answered the female voice. “I’m sorry- did I disturb you?”

“Not any more than I already am.” The voice replied airily.

A puzzled expression hit Aden’s face for a second, till he clicked with what she meant. He chuckled slightly. “Pretty dark sense of humour you’ve got there.” He commented.

“Well, when you’re in and out of places like this, then you gotta learn to laugh at yourself.” There was rustling from the other side of the tree, before the person stepped around the trunk and appeared in Aden’s view. A tall and skinny girl, she had long dark brown hair that hung around her face and the glasses she wore. She wore loose clothing and had some of palest skin that Aden had ever seen. In her hand she held a book- she had obviously been reading it before Aden had disturbed her. “Hi. I’m Violet.”

“Hi. I’m Aden.”

She sat down next to Aden, surprising him with her forwardness. “I haven’t seen you here before- are you new?”

Aden nodded. “I arrived yesterday.”

“Oh.”

Aden looked down at the book still in her hand. “What are you reading?” He asked.

She showed him the front cover of her book. “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.” She announced.

“I’ve never heard of it. What’s it about?”

“You’ve never heard of it?!” Violet repeated disbelievingly. “How could you not have heard of it?!”

Aden shrugged. “I’m not heaps into books...unless I have to read them for school.”

“You’re missing out!”

“Well, if it’s so good, what’s it about then?” He challenged.

“It’s set in a mental health institution...”

“Woah, woah, woah.” Aden cut her off. “Stop right there. Why on earth would you want to read a story set in a mental facility when you’re stuck in one?”

“It’s a good book! It’s one of my favourites.” She explained, like this was the most normal thing in the world.

“No offence, but that’s kinda strange!” Aden told her honestly.

“Strange is only one of my many qualities.” She told him.

Aden stared at her, bewildered. Violet had to be one of the most upfront and honest people he had ever met. “So how long have you been here for?”

“Umm...just over a month now.”

“That’s a pretty long time.”

“I’ve been in other places longer. Whenever my uncle and aunt don’t know how to handle me, they just turf me off to another clinic. This is my fourth time here.”

“That kinda sucks.”

“Yeah it does, but you get used to it.”

Aden was surprised, again, at her relaxed attitude to her life. Surely things weren’t easy for her. “But don’t you hate being carted off by your aunt and uncle like that?”

“Yeah, but there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s not their fault I’m messed up.” Violet reasoned. She looked at Aden, who was sitting in silence, waiting for her to continue. “You want to know what happened that made me messed up, don’t you?”

“Well...yeah.”

“If I tell you my secrets, will you tell me yours?” She asked slyly.

Aden shifted uncomfortably. “Erm, well...I don’t think I’m read to do that yet.”

“So why should I tell you my problems then, if you aren’t willing to tell me yours?” She said reasonably.

“Good point!” Aden laughed. “Maybe because you want me?”

Violet laughed hysterically. “Sorry, no deal! You’re not that hot!”

“Aww, come on! How can you resist this bod?” He asked cockily.

She laughed. “Aden- you’re such a guy!”

“Is that such a bad thing?”

Suddenly, her expression changed and the laughing stopped. She looked at her watch. “Oh crap- is that the time?” She stood up, brushed herself off, and started running away.

“What’s wrong?” Aden yelled after her.

“I’m late to my therapy session!” She yelled back, and continued running towards the building.

He looked down to notice that she had left her book behind. Picking it up, Aden stared after her, about to call out, but she was too far away. Violet was definitely a strange one. He liked talking to her though- he had almost forgotten that he was in a mental health clinic.

Almost.

----

“What do I do, Irene? What do I do?” Belle moaned, putting her head in her hands. She was supposed to be helping the older lady chop up vegetables for dinner, but instead she had got distracted when Irene had asked her about the photography cadetship.

“Girlie, I can’t make this decision for you!” Irene said rationally.

“I know, but...”

“Look, darl, if you decide to go, then you’ll know that I’ll miss you terribly- Annie and Geoff too! I love having you around!” She gave Belle a quick squeeze. “But this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I don’t want you passing this offer up if it’s something you really want to do!”

“But what about Angelo?”

“Angelo is a very understanding and compassionate person- if he knows that this is your dream and what you really want to do, he’ll be pushing you out the door!”

“I know, but...”

Irene turned to look at Belle, putting her hands on her hips. “What’s really troubling you, girlie? I know this isn’t just about Angelo!”

Belle sighed. “It’s Aden.”

Irene threw her hands in that air! “For god’s sake Belle! You can’t keep worrying about the boy so much!”

“Yeah, but...it feels like my fault with everything that’s happened! If I had just stayed with him then his brother wouldn’t have come here and wouldn’t have tried to hurt me or if I didn’t yell at him so much when I saw him then I might have been able to help him before...you know...” The words came pouring out of Belle’s mouth before she could stop them.

“Belle, please don’t feel guilty over your decision to break up with him. You made the right choice for you at the time. And if you had stayed with him, you can’t predict that he would have acted any differently! Don’t go blaming yourself for his actions- Aden obviously needed more help than what you could give him.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“No, I am right.” Irene smiled knowingly.

“Do you think Aden will be okay, once he comes home and I’m not here?” As Irene gave her another look, Belle went on. “It’s just that he had relied on me so much!”

“Girlie- I will say this one last time- you can’t always be here for him! He has to, and will, learn to rely on others for help! He has got others who care about him, like Roman, so he won’t be left alone. He will learn to cope.”

Belle still looked unconvinced.

“Do you really want my honest opinion?” Irene asked, which caused Belle to nod furiously. “Take this job offer- leave Summer Bay. You’re all grown up these days, and I think what you need most is a new, fresh start. Get away from all the drama of this place. Start again!”

She gave her a quick peck on the cheek. “Thanks Irene. I’m glad I have you.”

“No worries darl! I will always be here for you- even if you decide to go, you will always have a home here.”

“I haven’t decided I’m leaving yet!” Belle laughed. “I think I know what I’ve gotta do next.”

“What’s that?”

“I have to talk to Angelo.”

----

Aden tapped his fingers on his leg anxiously. This was his first group therapy session, and he was not taking to it. He didn’t want to tell other people about his problems, especially not a group of emotionally damaged teenagers. Dr Kempton- he could bare talking to him, but a whole bunch of people? That was just too much.

“So Aden- would you like to tell us why you’re here?” Dr Carle smiled at him, trying to encourage the newest member of her group session to start talking.

“I’d rather not.” He replied angrily. Violet was in this group, and she was staring right at him, making him feel rather uncomfortable.

“Well, would someone else like to start, so Aden can see how it’s done?” Dr Carle looked around at the eight other people.

Violet sat up in her chair. “I will.” She volunteered.

“Okay, Violet. Go right ahead.”

Violet locked eyes with Aden, and as she started talking she did not let her gaze slide. “My name is Violet, and I’m eighteen. My life was pretty normal- I lived with my mum and my dad out on our farm. Everything was going along fine, but, one day when I was nine, I saw my father stab my mother.”

Aden’s face drained of all colour, but Violet didn’t even hesitate. She continued on, staring at Aden, without missing a beat.

“My neighbour found her body, and me hiding under the dining room table- Dad was long gone. They found him eventually, and he was sent to prison. I was sent to live with my grandmother, but a couple of years later, she fell ill and had to be sent to a home. I was then sent to my aunt and uncles- everyone thought that if I hung around other kids it would help me. But no-one really understood how messed up I had gotten. I went off the rails- at twelve, when I got to high school, I started doing things that no twelve year old should. Going to parties, getting drunk, having sex, taking drugs- you name it, I did it. My aunt and uncle didn’t know how to handle me, so I was sent away a few times. But when I came back, it didn’t take long for me to revert to old behaviours. At about sixteen, my behaviour went in the complete opposite direction. I became a recluse, hiding out in my room, self harming- and again I was carted off to more clinics. I ended up here this time because my aunt and uncle found out I had developed bulimia.”

Aden was stunned by Violet’s story. How was it possible that this girl was still alive?

Violet took a deep breath, and her dark brown eyes continued to stare at Aden. “You know what the worst thing is? Besides the obvious- my mum dying- the worst thing is the looks I get from my aunt and uncle. The looks of pain- that my aunt’s sister was taken away from them, by my father. And because it’s my father, I feel like I’m to blame. That it’s my fault my mum died, and as much as I would like to believe that it’s not, I feel that it is. I should have stopped it, but I was too weak and too useless to do anything at the time. And I hate myself for it!”

The flashbacks erupted in Aden’s mind...his grandfather advancing towards him...his screams echoing through the night...the looks his brothers gave him...the mindless drunken state his father sat in...the shame and anger he felt towards himself for not being able to stop it.

He stood up, his eyes still locked on Violet’s.

“Aden, what’s wrong?” Dr Carle queried.

He finally broke the gaze with Violet, and turned to Dr Carle. “I’m sorry- I can’t do this.” He told her breathlessly, before he ran out of the room.

“Aden!” Dr Carle tried to call him back.

“I’ll go after him if you want.” Violet offered. She felt slightly guilty- she had wanted him to react, but not this much.

“Okay.” Dr Carle agreed.

Violet ran after him, and saw him storming down the corridor. “Aden!” She called, but he didn’t stop.

She ran and caught up with him outside his room. “Aden, wait!” She grabbed his arm.

“Let go of me!” He yanked his arm out of hers, and turned around, face scrunched up into a scowl. “Don’t touch me!” He snarled.

She stepped back, slightly frightened. “Aden!”

“What the hell were you doing in there anyway?” Aden shouted. “Staring me down all through that sob story of yours! What were you trying to achieve?”

“It’s just something I do...when I want to get to know people...” Violet trailed off.

“You are insane, you know that?” He hissed at her. “You are seriously mental!”

“Oh, thankyou Aden for telling me something I don’t know!” She said sarcastically. Aden opened his mouth, but Violet stopped him. “Look, I obviously got to you more than I intended to, and I am sorry about that. But you have to realise that you’re not that special here- everyone has issues, so stop feeling so sorry for yourself and get over it! You’re going have to spill eventually, whether you want to or not.”

Aden shrugged his shoulders. “Whatever.”

The sound of Aden’s door slamming echoed through the hallways.

Archived