I Don't Wanna Be Told To Grow Up

Guest *caitie*

Chapter 5-Glad You Did

Orlandos P.O.V

Detention with Mr. Collins was horrible. He gave me a lecture on how important it was for your grades that you finish the homework by the due date. I stayed quiet throughout the whole thing, until he told me he was going to give me the homework I didn’t do and more and I had to have it all finished by tomorrow. I tried to tell him that I never would be able to finish it because I had to practice surfing tonight straight after school and tomorrow at 5.00, but he wouldn’t listen, saying that it was my problem. I felt like yelling at him, but I didn’t, I simply walked out of the room and tried to put all of my anger into the drama play I was doing. I had never been good at drama, so I was surprised when the teacher complemented me. At Lunch we played the grade 7s in soccer, and won, Rory sprained his ankle, so we took him to the school nurse. Sally walked up to me with two of the giggling girls that always surrounded her

‘Hi Orlando’ One of the girls said. I think her name is Chantelle

The girl giggled, blushed when I looked at her, and then started giggling again.

‘Emma, Shut-up!’ Chantelle whispered, none too discreetly

‘Why don’t you both shut-up?’ Sally snapped, then turned back to me, smiling

‘Hi Orlando, what’re you up to?’

‘Nothing much’

‘Awesome, do you want to go to the diner today after school, everyone’s going’ she said

‘I’m sorry, I can’t. I’ve got to go for a surfing practice and then I’ve got to do some homework I got set by Mr. Collins for not doing the other one’

‘Oh’ her perfect smile flickered, but she hitched it back on and said brightly ‘Oh well, maybe another time?’

‘Yeah, maybe’

•••••

I got back at seven from surfing, which was later than usual, got a quick bite to eat, then went upstairs to do homework. When I next looked at the clock it was 12.30 am. But I had to keep going. I hardly even knew what I was writing, maybe I would wake up really early in the morning and do all this stuff, but then I figured it was already the morning, and I panicked when I realized I only had 4 and a half hours to get all his stuff done. The pile of sheets slowly worked its way down, and before I knew it, Mum was knocking on the door telling me to get up. I felt horrible. I had a splitting headache and my throat hurt, but I got my self out of bed, slowly put on my surfing stuff, then realized I couldn’t go surfing, it was already 8.00. So I had a quick shower, hoping it would wake me up, it didn’t, then put my school stuff on. I didn’t bother to get any breakfast. I knew Mum would kill me. She was always lecturing to me about eating enough, but I was late enough as it was. Ryan and Rory commented on how tired and sick I looked, and suggested that I go home. But I didn’t want to. I wanted to see Melissa, and play soccer, and I wanted to learn a new song in music for once. I walked into Maths, chucked the homework on Mr. Collins desk, and sat in the back row

‘Hey, Ollie!’ Jeremy said

‘Hi’ I said

Jeremy looked at me closely

‘Are you okay? You look a bit sick’

‘I’m fine’ I smiled, trying to reassure him, why did everyone comment on me, I didn’t look that bad, did I?

I did. As I stopped in front of a mirror in the boys bathroom, I figured I did look pretty bad. My face looked pale, and tired. My eyes were droopy and I looked that at any second I was going to drop off to sleep. I shook my head and met Julian in the corridor, who was a boy in my soccer team.

‘Hey,’ he said ‘did you know we have an extra practice straight after school?’

‘No, why?’

‘Don’t know, coach said something about us not playing the best of our ability’ Dean rolled his eyes

‘Right then,’ the bell rang

‘I got to go to music, see ya!’

‘Yeah, see ya after school’

I thought about what Dean had just said. Straight after school today I had surfing practice. I could go there after soccer, the surfing coach wouldn’t be very pleased. But he was a fair person and would understand when I explained to him my situation, I hoped. I met Melissa in the corridor too, and she asked me whether I wanted to go to the diner again. I said yes, but it would have to be at 6, but she still agreed to it, and with that sorted, I ran to music. I actually started practicing a new song in music. I had got the chords for ‘Hey There Delilah’ by Plain White T’s and I was finding it pretty easy, once you got the hang of it. But it was taking a long time for me to focus on things. Soccer practice was a nightmare. Our coach made us run around the school football oval 5 times then 20 pushups in a row, then get partners and kick the ball to each other. Then the coach gave me a lecture afterwards about how much I sucked this lesson. The coach was nice, but would go off when he thought someone wasn’t doing their best

‘We don’t want people on this team that let everybody else pull the weight! I’ve seen you do way better, Orlando, way better’

I then ran to surfing, and gave a quick explanation to coach Greg why I was so late, then quickly changed into boardies and got a surfboard, then paddled out to sea, where some of the boys sat, waiting for a wave

‘Hey, where’ve you been? You look terrible!’ Ty said, staring at me

‘Gee thanks, I’ve been at soccer practice’

I may as well have not have caught any waves at all at that practice. I just kept falling off. I was just getting more and more tired as the day went on, when I expected the opposite. My clumsiness scored me another lecture, but this time from Coach Greg

‘The city have asked me to pick 4 people on this team to go compete in the under 16 category, and this competition is national’

I looked up at him hopefully. This team had only ever competed in state competitions.

‘I was considering sending you, but after your performance today, I am reconsidering’

‘Please Coach Greg; I was just, not concentrating enough!’ I pleaded

‘Yes, I could see that, just do better next practice, okay?’

I nodded, and then went to get changed quickly at my house, giving mum and quick explanation of why I wouldn’t be there for tea

•••••

Melissas P.O.V

God he was cute, why the hell is he choosing to go out with me tonight? I thought as Orlando walked into the diner, flicking his wet hair out of his face.

‘Hello,’ he said when he saw me ‘I hope I haven’t kept you waiting’

As he got closer I saw that he looked really pale and tired

‘Are you okay?’ I asked, I was concerned for him, I hoped he was okay. I touched his arm, then quickly let go as electricity seemed to run up my arm.

‘Yeah, I’m fine’ he said, looking curiously at me.

‘Are you sure, you don’t look well at all’

He smiled

‘I’m fine, just a little tired’

I smiled

‘If you say so’

We then chatted about a lot of things. I loved the way we could talk, just talk, like best friends, like we had known each other forever. I felt as if I told him my deepest, darkest secret, he wouldn’t tell anyone, I trusted him.

It got to 9 o’ clock and he said he had to go

‘It would be awesome if we could meet up and do this every week’ he suggested

I looked down

‘What’s the matter?’ he asked

I looked up

‘It’s just, there is a heap of girls that would die to be in my position, and you chose me, me’ I looked back down ‘I don’t know why’

‘I chose you because I noticed I hardly ever talk to you, I wanted to get to know you’

I looked up and smiled

‘I’m glad you did’

Chapter 6 up soon!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 6-Suck Up

Orlandos P.O.V

I got home at 9.30 and got an aspirin for the head-ache that just wasn’t going away.

When I told Mum I was going to bed she gave me a quizzical look, then walked over to me

‘Are you alright? You look terrible’

I sighed

‘About 10 people have asked me that today’

‘I’m sure they did!’ She put her hand to my forehead

‘You’re very warm’

‘Yes, but can I please go to bed?’ I asked pleadingly

‘Okay, and make sure you get a good nights sleep’

I walked upstairs and was about to get dressed to go to bed when I realized I had a two page essay due tomorrow for SOSE. I groaned and took out the essay question from my bag.

“What caused The Great Depression?”

It was an easy enough question, but I was tired, and I knew it would take me a long time to do because I wasn’t concentrating very well. I tiptoed to the bookcase in the hallway, making sure Mum didn’t here me, grabbed the D-F encyclopedia, and went quickly back to my room, shutting the door behind me. I sighed as I chucked the encyclopedia, pencil case and my English book on my bed. It was going to be another sleepless night.

•◘•◘•◘•◘•

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!

The shrill alarm woke me up from my deep and peaceful sleep. I looked at my clock

I moaned. I had only got half an hour sleep. I had finished finally at 5.00 and had dropped off to sleep almost instantly. I groaned as I got up and pulled my boardies out of one of the draws. I pulled them on and took my top off. Then walked downstairs sleepily, grabbed another aspirin for my pounding head-ache and a now sore throat, and went off for a surf. I stopped half-way to the beach and realized it was Saturday. My English homework wasn’t due till Monday, and I could’ve slept in. I was very tempted to turn around and go back home, go back to bed, and go back to sleep, but I didn’t, I just kept walking. The sun had only risen half an hour ago, but was already beating down on my back, I wished I had brought sun-screen, but I hadn’t. I chucked my towel and watch down on the sand and paddled out to sea. I saw a couple of other surfers, but they were down the other end of the beach. The surf was pretty average, but I managed to catch a couple of waves. I was utterly determined to catch as many waves as I could, so when I had finished it was about 7.00. I lay down on the, warm, dry sand, exhausted. It was so warm, and soft. I felt myself slowly closing my eyes. There was a little voice inside me that said I probably shouldn’t, but that voice was very small, and I felt myself slowly drifting off to sleep…

I woke up to people walking past me, and voices

I looked at my watch

I sat up and groaned. My head-ache had gotten way worse; it was more like a migraine now. I got slowly to my feet, trying to ignore the cramps in my wrists. I walked slowly back to my house

‘Orlando!’ Mum yelled at me from upstairs as I slammed the door shut ‘Olivia and I are going into the city for a couple of hours, do you want to come?’ I winced; her piercing voice hurt my head.

‘No!’ I yelled

I lay down on the couch in an attempt to stop my head spinning.

Mum came clattering down the stairs and saw me on the couch and said

‘Are you going to be okay?’

‘Yes Mum, you just have a good time’

She smiled, and then said something else. But I couldn’t hear her. Her word were circling around in my brain but not forming anything I could understand. So I just smiled. I heard the door closing and then the car going down the driveway. I sighed and got up to get a T-shirt from the clothes basket I saw beside me and put it on, and then I lay back down on the couch not being stuffed to do anything else. About an hour later I heard the door open.

‘Hello? Is anyone home?’

I looked up from the couch

‘Hi Melissa!’

‘Hi’

She came and sat next to me on the couch

‘So what you been up to?’

Her words seemed to go very slowly into my head.

‘Oh, nothing much, Olivia and Mum have gone to the city to do some shopping, Dad is at work, and so I’m home alone’

She said something that I couldn’t really hear, so I nodded

‘I’m going to, uh, get an apple. Do you want one?’

She shook her head, I was glad she did. My mind was spinning to much to understand words anyway.

I got an apple out of the fridge and slowly moved over to the bench to cut it. I was thankful that I was able to slop and cut the apple, it hurt my head to move. My head was spinning furiously and I hardly had the strength to hold the knife to cut the apple, let alone stand up. I leaned against the bench for support

‘So, what are you doing this weekend?’ I asked Melissa

I caught only a few words from her reply, something about not much, and normal.

‘Okay’ I said

I didn’t have the strength to stand up anymore.

I felt my legs give way from under me and in a last minute attempt to keep myself upright, I tried to grab the end of the bench, but all I got was the knife that came down after me. I fell to the ground, and then felt a searing pain in my wrist. I looked across and saw blood pouring from a deep, long cut it my wrist. I saw Melissa come into the room and look at me in surprise and horror and then run over to me. Then I became part of the darkness that was all around

Olivias P.O.V

Mum pulled up beside the police station.

‘Ah, what are you doing? Last time I checked this wasn’t Sydney’ I asked

‘Yes I know, but your father has almost finished work and he might want to come too’

‘But Mum,’ I whined ‘if Dad comes in his police uniform no hot guys will want to talk to me!’

Mum gave me an amused look

‘Why would they want to talk to you?’

I gasped mockingly ‘How dare you!’

Dad came out of the police station in his uniform and I groaned.

‘What’s your problem?’ He asked me

‘No hot guys will want to talk to me because of you in your uniform!’

‘Don’t worry; I got lots of hot girls in this uniform’

I groaned and sunk down in the seat as Dad jumped in the front seat with mum. I had always hated the front seat. I got sick in it, I have no idea why

‘I take it Orlando is at home?’ Dad asked when once Mum had got the car going

‘Yeah, he still looks very pale, and tired. I don’t think he’s tiring himself out, maybe we should ask him to quit soccer or surfing, I know he loves both of them, but if this keeps going on…’

Mum mumbles to herself

‘You know he’d never quit anything. Anyway, he’s got a real natural talent for both of them, especially surfing; you can’t take that away from him’

Mum sighed ‘yeah, I suppose’

We drove past the “You are now leaving Summer Bay” sign. About half an hour later we heard Mums phone ringing

‘Can you get that please, Jack?’

Dad picked up the phone

‘Oh, Hi Melissa’

My heart sank. She was probably calling to suck up to Dad

‘Hang on Melissa, slow down and explain it all again’

I heard her talking at the end of the phone

‘Oh my God’ Dad exclaimed.

And I knew that she wasn’t calling just to suck up.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've just had alot of things 2 do. Anyway, without furthur ado, here's the next chapter!! :)

Chapter 7-Saw Him Again

Olivias P.O.V

‘Oh my god, we should’ve never have left him at the house!’ Mum yelled as we sped round corners and bends in the road back from the city. We were probably about 30 minutes away from Summer Bay, but that was when Mum was driving within the speed limit. So at this rate, we would get there in 15 minutes.

‘Mum, slow down! Orlando doesn’t want to see us in one of those horrible hospital beds as well!’ I complained as my stomach lurched as we went down a hill.

‘Shut up Olivia I’m trying to drive here!’ She yelled.

Dad clutched the sides of the seat, as if he was going to fall out of it any second. I sat there, absorbed in my own thoughts. I suddenly knew how much influence Orlando put into making my life happy. He was always there when I needed him. Like in grade five, when I split up with my first boyfriend called Bobby when he moved away. We were only young, and it defiantly wasn’t serious, but I was sad about it, all the same. He had come to comfort me as I cried and told me that if any boy didn’t appreciate me for who I was, he wasn’t worth going out with in the first place. He’d also given me most of my reputation. Once he started becoming popular, lots of people started talking to me. Some of the people in other grades called me “Orlando’s sister”. I had always pretended to hate it. But now I realized that I’d liked all the attention.

Mum slammed on the breaks in the car park and we all lurched forward. I saw Mum already running inside the hospital and I quickly opened the door and ran after her

‘Mum!’ I shouted when I was in there.

I saw her at the front office desk and I ran over to her

‘Orlando Holden’ she basically yelled at the lady at the desk

The lady nodded and began typing on the computer in front of her while Mum impatiently drummed her fingers against her desk

‘Ah yes, room 204 on the second floor’

Mum didn’t thank her as she ran up the stairs to the second floor.

Dad was right behind us. When I got to the second floor the first thing I saw was Melissa sitting on a chair, clutching a white bag. She was staring at the door in front of her, obviously not really seeing it. Her eyes were glazed until I saw she heard our footsteps and her head whipped around.

Melissas P.O.V

They walked in. I wondered if they would be angry with me. I would be. Olivia, Martha and Jack stood beside me and looked at me as if expecting me to say something. I cleared my throat

‘He-ah-is in that room’ I pointed to the room in front if me

Hey had certainly wheeled him in there, or had they? Maybe he was just part of the weird, parallel, dream that was unfolding in front of me too fast, way too fast, for me to comprehend. Martha sat down to me and I hugged my knees to my chest and locked my arms around them, as if it would give me some comfort when Martha became angry at me.

‘What happened, Melissa?’ Martha asked

That was the hard question. I would rather repeat every single grade at school, every single essay, than answer that question.

‘I, ah, walked into his house, and he was lying on the couch. He looked so disorientated,’ The scene flashed through my mind ‘How couldn’t I see something was wrong, I asked him questions, like how he was, and he answered, but it looked like he didn’t understand what I was saying, he said he was going to cut an apple, and he was asking me questions, but his speech was all slurred, I heard a crash and I walked in and I saw he’d collapsed, and there was blood, everywhere! I called the ambulance, and then I was here’

Here.

In this hell that people seemed to walk past in blurs, or maybe those people were part of the parallel universe that seemed to have swallowed me without me noticing. But if it was a parallel universe, how come it felt so real?

Olivia sat down heavily on a chair, Jack said something about getting coffee, and Martha said nothing. I buried my head in my knees and cried softly. How could this happen to a person so happy and so full of life? This person who was willing to take on a challenge, and never give up? This person who’d said to me, only yesterday, that he wanted to spend more time with me? What if today was the last time I ever saw him again?

Sorry it's shorter than usual, hope you liked it anyway :) :)

Archived