I Don't Wanna Be Told To Grow Up

Guest *caitie*

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 2-Choice To Make

Orlando's P.O.V

‘She’s WHAT?’

I jumped off I’d seat I’d been sitting on.

Mum scratched her arm slightly self-consciously.

Dad held her close looking cool, calm and collected.

‘I know this is a shock, but-‘

‘It’s wonderful!’ Olivia exclaimed

‘Yeah!-Wait, what?’ I said, confused

‘Yeah, it’s great!’

I looked doubtfully at Olivia. She and children just didn’t go together. I was fine with kids, but I was very surprised at Olivia’s comment.

‘But you hate kids’ I exclaimed

She shrugged

‘I can get used to them’

I looked at Mum, Dad and Olivia who were staring at me intently, listening for my reaction to this news.

I smiled weakly

‘Awesome’

Mum jumped up and hugged me.

‘Thank you! I love you two so much’

She pulled in Olivia

‘Mum, I’m not two anymore!’

She smiled at me

‘Even big fifteen year olds that are the same height as me sometimes need a hug’

I smiled then gave her a quick squeeze and let her go.

‘If it’s a girl what are you going to call it?’ Olivia asked, letting her go to

‘Hang on,’ I said ‘what if it’s a boy?’

Olivia pouted

‘But I want it to be a girl! I can teach it a heap of stuff!’ Her eyes went glazed as she went into a day-dream

‘And if it’s a boy I want to teach it a heap of things!’

Olivia snapped out of her day-dream and gave me a look that tells people that she is impossible to reason with.

‘It’s going to be a girl!’ She screamed at me

‘Just because you’re so pig-headed you think you can get anything-‘

‘Shut up!’ Dad yelled

We stopped our arguement from across the room and turned to Dad

‘I think it’s safer not to know the gender of this baby till it’s born!’

Olivia crossed her arms and refused to look at anyone, whereas I just stood there, trying not to look angry or annoyed with anyone.

‘Your mother is having a baby, and all you can do is argue?’

Those words made us feel ashamed of ourselves

‘Now both apologize to each other, and your mother!’

‘Sorry’ I mumbled

Olivia did the same then mumbled that she had to go do some homework.

I didn’t say anything and walked upstairs, and remembered that I had school tomorrow

‘She’s WHAT?’ Rory and Ryan exclaimed

‘Yeah, that’s what I said’ I said weakly

‘Well, umm, that’s great!’ Rory said uncomfortably, obviously not quite knowing what to say

Ryan laughed almost wickedly

‘I just want to know what Olivia thought’

I smiled.

I had known Ryan since I was born and Rory had moved in when I was 2 and we had all been best friends ever since. And they basically knew Olivia as well as me. We were all basically like brothers and sister. So they knew how much Olivia hated kids

‘She was actually fine with it’

Rory choked on the water he was drinking from his water bottle

‘She was fine with it? Is she on something?’

‘No, I dunno. But she seemed to have the idea that it’s a girl, and she’s going to teach this poor, innocent child all about how to act like a girl’

Ryan and Rory laughed as we headed to one of the two classes we all had together, music. I had been playing guitar since I was five, so as I sat there strumming the guitar to a song I had practiced a thousand times before, I found myself drifting off into boredom land.

‘Orlando!’

I nearly dropped my guitar.

As I looked up I saw Sally Parkinson standing there, grinning at me.

‘Sorry if I startled you’ she said, trying to contain her laughter

I smiled at her

‘Just a bit’

‘Yeah, well. So what are you practicing?’ She asked, sitting down on the floor next to me.

‘Some song I’ve known for ages but I can’t be stuffed to learn any other song so I practice this one.’

She smiled

‘Seems you’ve been practicing it for the past decade’

I grinned

‘There’s no harm in knowing a song off by heart.’

The bell rang for recess and I jumped up and ran into one of the store rooms, stuffed my guitar in a case and pushed it onto the shelf on the wall. I ran out of the music room and saw Sally’s startles expression as I ran past her.

‘Where are you going?’ She asked

‘I going to ply soccer, I promised the boys, sorry!’

I was happy to see she looked disappointed.

After recess I had Science. I wasn’t even listening to the teacher as he explained things about reactions to certain chemicals. I think it was revision anyway. We seemed to be doing a lot of revision. The bell rang for lunch and I went out the door with Rory and Ryan.

‘Are you playing soccer?’ Rory asked me as we walked through the school grounds.

I considered the question

‘No, I think I’ll just sit around and talk to people.’

‘Ok’

Rory and Ryan left me, running to the soccer ground. I saw a bunch of people sitting around and Sally Parkinson caught my eye and I could see in her eyes she wanted me to come over. But then I saw Melissa sitting by herself near a tree, she looked lonely. I looked back and forth and Melissa and Sally, realizing Sally probably wouldn’t like me anymore if I sat with Melissa. I had liked Sally since grade three, except Melissa looked so lonely.

I had a choice to make.

Next Chapter~Who does Orlando choose?

Chapter 3-Twisting out of Control

Olivia's P.O.V

I saw Orlando waking over to Melissa.

What is he doing? I thought, he was supposed to get with Sally Parkinson!

I shook my head as I pulled grass from the ground I was sitting on in fury.

‘Come on, Ella,’ I said to her, standing up and pulling my skirt down, and back up again as a teacher walked past, ‘We need to get a closer look at what’s happening, I can’t believe he is sitting with Melissa, of all people, this is going to ruin his reputation! Not that he has one’

I added quickly.

Ella giggled.

Ella had short, blonde, wavy hair that went slightly past her shoulders. Her face was flawless so I had no idea why she was wearing foundation. Her eyebrows were curiously darker than her hair, and she was always complaining about them. She was outgoing, but could be very shy around some people.

‘Okay,’ she said ‘If you say so!’

She locked her fingers together, except for her forefingers, which she put together and started pointing at random people, giggling when they looked at her curiously. I walked towards a tree, which was close enough to Melissa and Orlando to gather what they were talking about. Ella came behind me, giggling at random people who walked past, and, when they looked at her, laughed, and pointed her pretend gun at them.

‘Ella calm down!’ I whispered when we finally got to the tree and she stood beside me, occasionally looking out from behind it and pulled her pretend gun up to her cheek and tried, and failed, to keep a straight face. I pulled her back behind the tree

‘With you here it’s a wonder he hasn’t spotted us yet!’ I snapped, keeping my voice low. Ella rolled her eyes, but pulled her fake gun and face back behind the tree.

‘Fine, ruin all the fun!’ She whispered, giggling.

‘Shhh! I need to hear what they’re saying!’ I said, turning my head away so she wouldn’t see my laughter.

I didn’t catch much of their conversation. All I heard was something about having a nice day, and what they were doing after school.

‘Hey, so umm, do you, ah, want to meet up at the diner somewhere?’ I heard Orlando ask

‘No!’ I whispered

God, even though he was just my brother, I still wanted him to go out with the right girl. And I wanted him to go out with Sally Parkinson! Not, shy, sensitive Melissa! I was very tempted to jump out at Orlando, ask what the hell he was doing basically asking out this girl, when he should be sitting with Sally? But I stayed right where was, fuming at the teenagers that were sitting barely 10 metres away from me. The bell rung, Orlando stood up quickly and put his hand out to Melissa to help her get up. She blushed furiously, but took his hand and smiled sweetly. As I turned around I saw Sally glance in Orlando’s direction and then turn away. I noticed the bitterly disappointed look on her face. I shook my head, walking fast to catch up with Orlando. Ella was running behind me.

‘Wh-where are we going?’ She asked breathlessly as she ran to keep up with me

‘I am going to talk to that dear brother of mine who has some strange idea that he is going to go out with Melissa today.’

Ella looked at me as if to say “So”? But I ignored her. I finally caught up with Orlando.

‘Dear brother,’ I said sweetly ‘I heard from a flying rumor that you are going to the diner after school with a certain girl named Melissa?’

He looked at me curiously

‘Yep’

‘Did you know that Sally is crazy about you and you have basically ruined the last chance you have at getting together with her, that is-if you actually go to the diner’

Orlando stopped in the middle of the doorway

‘Are you suggesting that I’d just leave her there? How could you think I would do that? I’m not one of the guys that would do that! I can’t believe that you even suggested it!’

He started walking

‘Goodbye, Olivia, I’ve got to get to class’ he mumbled as he left

I watched as he walked away. I didn’t think he would react like that! Ella tapped me on the shoulder

‘Sorry to interrupt you from your cozy conversation with your brother, but we have classes to, and if we continue like this, we’re going to be late for home Ec.’

I groaned and started jogging towards my next class

I dumped my bag on the floor

‘Mum, we’re home!’ I screamed

Orlando blocked his ears

‘God, was that piercing enough for you?’

I smiled and nodded sweetly

Dad came in a few minutes after us

‘Where’s your brother?’ He asked when he saw me lounging on the couch

I pursed my lips

‘Getting ready’

‘For what?’ Dad asked

‘His first actual date’ I said sarcastically, and then ran upstairs, I had to Call Ella.

‘…he’ll be fine, Olivia!’ She assured me

‘I’m not concerned for his safety, Ella, more his respect and reputation, and plus, if word gets out that he went on a date with Melissa-‘

‘I’m pretty sure it already has’ Ella said slowly

‘Go on’ I said, not exactly sure whether I wanted her to

‘Well I was talking to Lara on MSN and she said she’d heard from Clara who’d heard from Sarah who’d heard from Lauren who’d heard from Isabelle who’d heard from Kaitlin who’s heard from Sally who’d heard from Natalie that Orlando asked Melissa out’

‘Oh,’ I sighed ‘well, did you try to, ah, hush it up or something?’

‘Well I said I hadn’t heard anything’

‘Ella, you could’ve at least said it was a lie!’

‘Yeah, well, I didn’t’

‘Why oh why did Melissa say yes? Couldn’t she see that he was too good for him?’ I sighed ‘things are defiantly not going according to plan’

I heard a muffled yell from Ella’s end of the phone.

‘I’ve got to go, Olivia, but one more thing’

‘What?’

‘I don’t blame Melissa for saying yes; anyone would say yes, Orlando’s hot!’

She giggled and hung-up, leaving me astonished at the end of the line.

I finally shook my head, wondering what had got into that girls head, and put the phone down.

My plan was defiantly twisting out of control.

yeah i luv it how shes trying 2 tell her brother who 2 go out wiv r as they say look out 4 his best interests and she just doesnt think melissa is the peferct girl 4 her dear brother as she called him

update soon its grt

Chapter 4-Get Over It

Melissas P.O.V

I walked into the Diner.

What was I doing? I asked myself for the millionth time, I’m not good enough to even walk past him.

I was wearing a long, blue skirt and a top that had a beaded flower on it. I saw Orlando. He was talking to someone I vaguely recognized from my health class. The bell jingles as I walked in and he turned around and smiled, my heart melted. He was wearing blue boardies and a black and white chequed top. Even though he was wearing the kind-of clothes that he probably wore all the time, he looked so hot, he looked comfortable. His wavy, blonde hair reached his ears. His dark eyes were sparkling and I felt that if I stared into them, I would never be able to get all I could out of them. His skin was tanned, as always, and he was wearing a beaded necklace. I vaguely wondered who had given it to him, then snapped out of my day-dream as he walked towards me

‘Hey’ he said

I blushed, I always blushed when he talked to me, ever since third grade. I don’t know why I had started liking him, I think it was because we had to pair up and think of ideas for a mind-map, and the second he talked to me, I was hooked on him. I couldn’t even walk past him without blushing. My friends noticed a lot. They always teased me, and when I told them about this date today, they were thrilled, even jealous, but who wouldn’t be jealous of me? I was going to be talking to be the hottest guy in school!

‘Hi’ I said

He smiled

‘Do you want something to eat or drink?’

‘Yeah, a milk-shake, but I can buy it!’ I added hastily as I saw him pulling a wallet out of his pocket and pulling a 20 note out

He grinned, he was always smiling and grinning, or laughing, I swear his laughter could be heard from a mile away, so when he wasn’t smiling, grinning, or laughing, something was wrong.

‘No, I want to! My treat’

‘Well, if you’re sure…’

He nodded

‘I am! What flavour?’

I grinned

‘Chocolate, I love chocolate!’

‘I love it too!’

I smiled; maybe this wasn’t going to be so bad after all…

Orlandos P.O.V

I was walking home, it was 5.30.

Melissa and I had talked for ages. I worked out she loved chocolate, her favourite band was Fall Out Boy, but she loved all kinds of music, she loved scary movies, but her favourite movies were The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and she was nearly obsessed with them. She had 2 brothers and 1 sister that lived in England with her Dad and she hardly ever got to see them. We had talked so easily, like best friends. When I’d said I’d had to go and I’d like to do this another time, she smiled and said she’d like to too. But now, I wondered if she was being serious. Girls could be so strange, and say things when they actually mean the complete opposite of what they’re agreeing to, but she seemed genuine.

‘So how was your date?’ Olivia snapped as I walked in the door

‘Good’ I said as I walked up the stairs in a day-dream, not even bothering to comment on her furious expression as I walked up the stairs.

I walked to school silently with Olivia. She didn’t talk to me the whole way, and when she saw Ella, she ran straight off to greet her. But I didn’t really care, I just kept thinking of Melissa. When I got into school Sally walked past me, and the look on her face, the disappointment, hurt, and sadness, struck me. I could not stop thinking of it when I walked into class and took my usual seat in the back row, but I soon came back to earth when Mr. Collins announces that e should put our homework at the front of the classroom oh his desk.

I put up my hand

‘What homework, Sir?’

‘The homework on decimals’

He sighed when I looked blankly at him

‘Don’t tell me you forgot?’

I nodded slowly

‘Very well, recess detention for you Mr. Holden’

Some people snickered, but most of the boys looked at me horrified

‘What? What’s the matter?’

‘That means you can’t play soccer’

‘So…’

‘So now we’re going to lose’