The Rainbow Campaign

Guest Perry

I don't see why they shouldn't have a gay character/s. They don't need to show them in bed or kissing do they [if that is SO offensive to people :unsure: ]? They can just be 'a couple' who are gay and have the same problems that everyone else in H&A has [i.e. being kidnapped, getting lost in the outback etc.]

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that think being gay is wrong. Home and Away probably don't want to risk it. The ratings might shoot up, but they might plummet also. It's a risky decision.

I would like to see a good gay character in the bay. I'm sorry, but Dean wasn't good. There was something about that boy that didn't click. I dunno what it was, but NO... not another Dean! :lol:

The gay character doesn't necessarily have to have a boyfriend. He can be in with the "gang" and just have fun. OR they could introduce a gay character to the adult group. Maybe one of Tony's friends or one of Roman's or something.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon a gay character would be good on H&A. If Neighbours can have two goes at it then why cant H&A? It worked well on Neighbours with Sky & Lana and then the Rosie/Pepper kiss. I think Roman could actually be good as a gay, but obviously he isn't since he kissed Rachel.

(BTW im sure Tim Campbell could do much better then Anthony Callea, whom I dont like much at all)

I reckon a gay character would be good on H&A. If Neighbours can have two goes at it then why cant H&A? It worked well on Neighbours with Sky & Lana and then the Rosie/Pepper kiss. I think Roman could actually be good as a gay, but obviously he isn't since he kissed Rachel.

(BTW im sure Tim Campbell could do much better then Anthony Callea, whom I dont like much at all)

I'm dangerously close to start shipping him and Miles, the other day I got that good old feeling Rob/Kim and Lucas/Geoff used to give me

:lol:

OH NO! Is there another appreciation thread on its way???

In other news I got a letter in the mail yesterday:

Dear Mr Perry,

Thank you for your letter regarding character suggestions for Home and Away. As you know, Summer Bay is the home to a cross-section of various characters representing lots of different personalities. Currently, we are not looking for any new characters to be developed on the show.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us about this issue, I will definetly pass your letter on to the writing department. I hope you will continue to watch Home and Away!

Sincerely,

Cameron Welsh

Series Producer

Home and Away

I'm happy I got a reply and my letter was at least read. I hope they receive some more letters soon so they know it's not just one fan that wants it- there is many!

OH NO! Is there another appreciation thread on its way???

In other news I got a letter in the mail yesterday:

Dear Mr Perry,

Thank you for your letter regarding character suggestions for Home and Away. As you know, Summer Bay is the home to a cross-section of various characters representing lots of different personalities. Currently, we are not looking for any new characters to be developed on the show.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us about this issue, I will definetly pass your letter on to the writing department. I hope you will continue to watch Home and Away!

Sincerely,

Cameron Welsh

Series Producer

Home and Away

I'm happy I got a reply and my letter was at least read. I hope they receive some more letters soon so they know it's not just one fan that wants it- there is many!

Interesting about the 'cross section of various characters'. I came across the following today which was part of a comment on an Australian political forum:

"A few years ago I was on a bus on my way home from work in Dublin, and a bunch of school girls were talking about how they’d just had some sort of exam and that Australia is racist as they have no “black people”. I managed to hear that this view of Australia was based on Home & Away and Neighbours where they do not have “black people”."

I'll be sending in my letter soon too, if I don't forget :wink:

I agree with what a few people have said before. I do want a gay character, but only if they can do the character justice. I'm not waiting to see another gay character come in and turn straight again. That's not something I want to see as I find it very unfair to gay people, and it certainly won't help the way some people think of it.

That being said, I do think Home and Away can pull it off, so the only question left is, do they want to?

I certainly hope so.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that think being gay is wrong.

Some people are barmy. I bet the same people don't mind seeing rapists, serial killers, incest, murder etc. shown in soaps!?!

Its odd though that I can't think of any English soaps that DON'T have gay characters. Surely H&A isn't shown much earlier in the evening than, for example, Emmerdale or Coronation Street?

Archived