The 1997-1999 Dip

Guest Ryan

the nash family were bad except 4 gypsy

I thought they were OK - better than most of the characters on the show today at least.

I'd say they were all good apart from Tom. Joel was probably the best cop character in the shows history, not that that's saying much. Probably because he was basically a father who happened to be a policeman, rather than just being a cop. Natalie was really good as well, especially after they recast her. Gypsy was just about my all time favourite. And then there was Tom, who was dire. I don't know how they managed to create a character as good as Gypsy and one as bad as Tom at the same time. Still, I think the family as a whole are a very underrated part of Home and Away history. They get forgotten, because the dreadful non-Gypsy teen group turned people off, but they were good.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the nash family were bad except 4 gypsy

I thought they were OK - better than most of the characters on the show today at least.

I'd say they were all good apart from Tom. Joel was probably the best cop character in the shows history, not that that's saying much. Probably because he was basically a father who happened to be a policeman, rather than just being a cop. Natalie was really good as well, especially after they recast her. Gypsy was just about my all time favourite. And then there was Tom, who was dire. I don't know how they managed to create a character as good as Gypsy and one as bad as Tom at the same time. Still, I think the family as a whole are a very underrated part of Home and Away history. They get forgotten, because the dreadful non-Gypsy teen group turned people off, but they were good.

I agree 100% Joel was good and (apart from P Baker) probably was, imo, the shows only decent permanent cop character. Natalie was good too and Gypsy was an excellent character and a good actress ( sadly, she probably wouldn't get cast today, though - cos she's not considered as attractive as the one-time models currently on the show). As for Tom, less said, the better...

Gypsy was an excellent character and a good actress ( sadly, she probably wouldn't get cast today, though - cos she's not considered as attractive as the one-time models currently on the show). As for Tom, less said, the better...

I'm not sure about that, I dont think any of the current female teenagers are ex models, 'Martha' and 'Charlie' are the only female ex-models in the show at the moment I think.

I totally agree with you guys about Joel, Nat and Gypsy though - I think they were a fantastic addition each with their own personal backstory so as they were all solid characters in their own right.

Gypsy was an excellent character and a good actress ( sadly, she probably wouldn't get cast today, though - cos she's not considered as attractive as the one-time models currently on the show). As for Tom, less said, the better...

I'm not sure about that, I dont think any of the current female teenagers are ex models, 'Martha' and 'Charlie' are the only female ex-models in the show at the moment I think.

I totally agree with you guys about Tom, Nat and Gypsy though - I think they were a fantastic addition each with their own personal backstory so as they were all solid characters in their own right.

I assume you meant to say "Joel" there?

I have to say I loved the Nash family. I just thought they were realistic and believeable and worked as a family. Maybe I am just a bit biased because Gypsy and Tom were teens at about the same time that I was, but I liked them. I also liked Gypsy/Will as a coupling and enjoyed their whole saga.

I know so many others disagree but they really made the show for me.

I totally agree with you guys about Tom, Nat and Gypsy though - I think they were a fantastic addition each with their own personal backstory so as they were all solid characters in their own right.

I assume you meant to say "Joel" there?

Yep! :blink:

I totally agree with you guys about Joel, Nat and Gypsy though - I think they were a fantastic addition each with their own personal backstory so as they were all solid characters in their own right.

True, not all the cast are ex-models...but no way in a million years would the actress that plays Charlie have got a permanent job on H&A 10-15 years ago. It seems that they cast on looks more these days than they ever did at any other point in the past.

True, not all the cast are ex-models...but no way in a million years would the actress that plays Charlie have got a permanent job on H&A 10-15 years ago. It seems that they cast on looks more these days than they ever did at any other point in the past.

I agree with this as well. The original casting didn't rely on looks alone - there were plenty of perfectly average looking people included. In recent years, it seems that every new addition is would-be model material.

• 3 weeks later...

The mid-nineties are usually thought of as a relative high point of the show's history. However, 1997 to1999 are generally considered weak. So, much so that changes made in 2000 are credited with saving the show!

What in your opinion went wrong in the late nineties, or did you not notice this?

the credits

Archived