The 1997-1999 Dip

Guest Ryan

Yeah I get what your saying, but I kinda disagree they did that. Of course they did to a certain extent, but he was always written consistently, and it was interesting to see how the other teenagers reacted around a ‘freak’. At first Liam was an arrogant and ignorant snob with him, and that lasted ages, he was more close to Selina and Irene in the beginning, plus it was Selina and Chloe who convinced Irene to let Joey stay with them.

He was more a ‘stand alone’ character, in that his main story arch whilst he was there was his relationship with Saul, or lack of, and how he dealt with living in a world that was ‘alien’ to him. But he did make mates with the teens, and imo Liam, Casey, Stephanie and later on Aaron, Justine and Teigan all had pretty solid relationships with him that seemed real, and close.

He also had comical moments, the writers used his naivety in that way, so that was always fun.

To me, the ‘dip’ wasn’t down to the teenagers, it was more the direction of the show and a lack of 'main character' status, it was all pretty equal, having said that Chloe had a large share in the storylines, thought she was never really as popular as the likes of Angel or Shannon...etc But these teens were more 'real' in that we had a rocker/dude, his kinda hippy/alternative sister Justine (who was an ex drug addict), Casey who was just plain messed up threw having a twisted mother and father who she felt 'didn’t love her enough'. We had Liam and Stephanie - but they were 96-97, and as I said before 97 to me is still classed as a high point in the show, and the ratings didn’t dip until 98 I don’t think. Then we had Tiegan, who was illiterate at first and a very frustrated teenager. Sam was also a teen at this point and getting into trouble, but was pretty much background.

...But its definitely worth pointing out that maybe it was down to the fact that they weren’t all ‘magazine cover’ material…but are the audience that superficial? Maybe.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm. I didn't really like Joey to be honest though, i prefer some of the teens today like Belle and Drew...although Ric and Matilda have become a bit boring...

I'd say that Aaron in this period was terrible...but Justine wasn't too bad.....

I'm going to have to disagree with the Casey/Liam/Stephanie/Joey friendship group..i thought it was rubbish....one of the best friendship groups was probably Robbie/Kim/Tash...as u always knew they were good friends. Casey and co. weren't around long enough imo to have a lasting effect on the show.

The Dip could be down to the Nashes..though i'm unsure.

I actually really liked the Nashes (except Tom), but it did take them a while to settle in. Having Tom and Rebecca take over from Pippa was never going to work long-term as they didn't have the experience or the ability to deal with such troubled kids. With Sally it's different as she sort of fell into fostering naturally, and considering her own history she has a lot to draw on. But I thought T/R were a great couple, Gypsy was a fantastic character, and the whole family had some great storylines (the Robert thing was one of the all-time greats IMO). I must say that I prefered the first Natalie - the second one looked and acted far too young for the role, it was almost creepy.

I loved the Nashes too, they were a great family (Tom was boring), but I loved how their family unit was written, very close…Joel and Nat weren’t your typical ‘soap parents’, they had their own cool back stories too. I preferred Nat #2, she made the role her own and was a lot more quirky and had more character to her than the original Nat imo. Plus she was a sex bomb! :cool:

Yeah that’s a good point too. I guess with the teens we are referring to now, that could possibly be it, whilst they were all mates, I dont know, maybe the writers seemed to concentrate on them as characters separately more so than as a group.

Archived