The 1997-1999 Dip

Guest Ryan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but Ryan is that both Natalies? Do u mean Angelica or Antoniette?! Yeah the second Nat has aged well..she was in Neighbours at the beginning in 1985 so she'd have to be reasonably old. They were really fit parents/contrast to Rhys perhaps, haha!

Although Rhys was randomly promiscuous with Shelley, Angie and Beth ;)

I didn't like 97 that much. I was never a fan of Chloe and Lachie, and characters like Tiegan, Aaron, Casey weren't that interesting. Justine was alright in the beginning, but didn't become very interesting after a while.

98 was a bit better when Will arrived, and when Will and Gypsy were together. Afterwards it wasn't very good. 99 was also quite a boring year. I wasn't a big fan of either Mitch or Peta, but it became better in late 99 when Edward arrived and Will and Gypsy got back together.

I think a lot depends on the characters. If the characters in themselves are interesting, it's often more interesting to watch as well, like with characters like Shane, Angel, Jack etc.

Nat * 1 (can't do hashes)...kind of reminds me of Shelley Sutherland...don't they look similar?\

I think Nat *1 was more believable as a runner..but Nat *2 was more of a sex bomb.

Yes!! I always thought so in fact I wondered if it was the same actress at one point. I can't find a picture of her though.

I think the main problem with this era was that it didn't havev a believable teen group. I like Joey and Tiegan but Justine, Aaron, Casey, Liam etc were just bland and so I found the storylines relating to them pretty bland. Gypsy was the only Nash that I liked or cared for and there were very few characters I was actually interested in.

I find reading this thread depressing, because I can see history already repeating itself. Pippa left in 98, Sally is leaving in 08. The teens in that era weren't up to scratch compared with the previous ones, and this year none of the new teens (Geoff, Annie Tam and Aden) have lived up to the high standard set by Ric, Cassie, Mattie, Luc, Belle and Drew. Of course that is my opinion and others might beg to differ, but anyway I just see a lot of parallels with then and now. Mattie and Cassie are like Shannon and Selina in a way because of their strong friendship. Belle is like Chloe reincarnated. Ric is this decade's Curtis. Geoff, Tam and Annie are like the newer teens Aaron, Justine and Tiegan. Tam is especially like Justine I think, and Annie has literacy problems like Tiegan did. I know these are superficial similarities, but I'm just struck by how much 2007 is shaping up like the late 90's.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Tam's a hell of a lot better than Cassie and Lucas and Drew actually!! So i don't know whether i disagree, we shouldn't "get worried" about 08...we should just enjoy Sally's departure and see what new doors open. Also i think all of the newer teens are at least better than Aaron and if not they will improve...though it may be difficult for Annie considering she's awful.

Archived