The 1997-1999 Dip

Guest Ryan

The mid-nineties are usually thought of as a relative high point of the show's history. However, 1997 to1999 are generally considered weak. So, much so that changes made in 2000 are credited with saving the show!

What in your opinion went wrong in the late nineties, or did you not notice this?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly noticed it, I lost interest with the show around 1997 for a bit, but I really can't explain why....I wasn't a fan of Jesse, and never have been....and I got a bit bored with the whole Chloe/Lachie/James storylines I think.

Of course there still were some great storylines around that time, but as a whole, in respect to the rest of the 90's, I really felt it lacked something

I wouldn’t say I lost interest or that the 'dip' happened in 1997 - that is one of my favourite seasons.

...But I agree there was a bit of a dip in 1998 and 1999, and I think Pippa's departure had a huge play in that. I think, although the fostering theme certainly didn’t die down, it was maybe a bit messy, the stability had gone.

We did have some real strong storylines and characters, such as all of the Diana-Chloe-James-Lachie-Irene stuff, Joey's path to insanity, Ailsa going crazy 3 times, the whole Robert v Nash’s stuff.... Sally was very much 'background' throughout 98 and 99, which was ironic as Kate had just finished her HSC and had just started to devote all her time to the show, yet they gave her less to do in the way of any major storylines than they had any years prior.

Having said that, it was still written typical H&A with a very character driven and emotional ethic about it, and I'd rather that style any day. I preferred 1999 to 1998. Its only year later that I was able to look back and realise it had a bit of a dip.

Well, interestingly enough I took a few years off from Home and Away around this time so perhaps there was a dip. I thought it was just me! I watched it sporadically then until those awful Sutherlands. Once they left I was back full time! But I digress. I must say Chloe was always one of my favourite characters, and I loved the storyline about Lachie, and then her getting with his brother because she thought it was the right thing to do. It was all so heart-breaking.

I always hated Vinne too so his arrival was part of the reason I gave up on it. When did he arrive? I hated that whole Bonza Burgers period anyway.

I didn't watch it much from 98-99 either. But i watched it beforehand and have since it returned to British TV on Five in 2001 (so i have been dedicated since the 2000 season)

I liked Vinnie and to a certain extent i liked the Sutherlands. There was an era i didn't really like a lot of the characters such as Tiegan (she was a bit annoying) ..and although looking back she was probably a good one Justine. I also hated Sally's boyfriend Tim and nothing they did together interested me.

I too loved Chloe which is why i was upset about the way she was killed off on her return in 2005.

I just think at that point in my life i wasn't interested in watching any soaps, although it's interesting that this was during a dip in the show.

I remember watching one episode during this era and Gypsy snapped at Jesse that she didn't want to act babysitter to Rachel on their date..and me and my family were all like, "Woah, you bitch"

But then in the Five episodes Gypsy was always a favourite of mine.

Yes it's funny. I really do think a lot of it is to do with what you're into at that time. I've seen a couple of episodes lately with Vinnie in them and he actually doesn't bother like he did at the time. I had forgotten how he brought out all the fun in Leah. I never thought he and Sally were suited though.

Archived