At her Best in front of the camera

Guest Andy

At her Best in front of the camera

By Alison Buckland

Central Coast Express

11 July 2007

A LOVE of performing has led a former Central Coast youngster to the high pressure world of the TV soapie.

Charlotte Best, 13, is the newest face on Channel 7's long-running Home and Away.

Before moving to Sydney with her family several years ago, she lived at Point Frederick and attended Central Coast Grammar School.

She started her rise to stardom on the coast doing eisteddfods and talent searches as a singer and dancer, winning the Central Coast Star Talent Quest three times.

She attends Brent St Talent Development High School in Sydney where she combines her love of performing arts with her academic studies. To land her role on Home and Away Charlotte had to endure three auditions, but has settled in well to life in front of TV cameras. "I was so excited to start, they're all lovely people on the show," she said. "It's the experience and doing what I love, it's fantastic, amazing."

The only downside to the show is due to the long hours she misses her family and friends. "I don't get to see my family a lot, I've usually left by the time they get up," she said.

Charlotte's character on the show is country girl Annie, 14. "She's a strong character, a bit of a funny one," Charlotte said. "She's grown up with all boys and I have four brothers so we're a bit the same, she's a tomboy but has a girly side too," she said.

Region boasts several stars

CHARLOTTE Best is not the first Central Coast person to land a part in the popular soap.

Amy Mizzi, of Bateau Bay, joined Home and Away in 2003 at age 19.

She appeared as troubled teenager Kit Hunter and was later nominated for a TV Week Logie.

Central Coast musician Israel Cannan also landed a guest role as bad boy Wazza.

Home and Away started life on the Seven Network in January 1988.

It revolves around the day-to-day happenings in fictious Summer Bay, based on Sydney's northern beaches.

Among its best known stars are Kate Richie, who plays Sally Fletcher.

charlottebestqo2.th.jpg

Another coastie, eh? Makes me think I should have done something with my life...

Well, um... I was in a drama class with someone who went to school with Amy Mizzi, AND my friend taught drama with the guy who used to play Macca... So there :P

Still, none of that was happening when I was 13. Darn kids :P

• 3 weeks later...

Archived