Emergency surgery

Guest Luc

I found this article on the Sunday Herald Sun Website

THE long-lived soap is being revamped so it can last another 20 years, as Darren Devlyn and Greg Thom report

There's no denying iconic Aussie soap Neighbours has been languishing in its greatest crisis in two decades.

Channel 10, however, is adamant the soap is emerging from a major ratings slump and its future on the network is assured.

The truth is that the show is only now being subjected to an emergency overhaul due more than a year ago.

In the late 1980s the soap was a ratings powerhouse.

Riding on the popularity of Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan it had a national audience of more than 1.5 million.

And its overseas success was staggering -- showing on the BBC in Britain to an audience of 20 million.

These days Neighbours has a respectable five million committed fans in Britain, but has struggled to crack 800,000 viewers in Australia.

Ten says the show captures the 16-39 demographic, but the fact remains it's far too close to the tail of the top 100-rating shows list.

The soap has often been belted by A Current Affair and Today Tonight in the 6.30pm timeslot, and industry experts believe there's no excuse for it not matching the performance of Seven's Home and Away, which consistently cracks the million-viewer mark at 7pm.

``It's a pretty simple equation,'' an industry source says.

``Ten wouldn't want to axe the show because they need it to meet their yearly drama quota requirements (commercial networks must run a minimum amount of locally produced, first-run drama each year) and haven't got other hit shows on the shelf.

``If they were to let it go, they'd be faced with getting another drama up and hoping it worked. If Ten did ever let it go, it's feasible the show could stay in production just for overseas markets (Neighbours screens in 65 countries).''

Another source says: ``Overseas sales are critical to the show getting made. Free-to-air networks rarely pay 100 per cent of the budget (for Neighbours it's about $400,000 a week).

Here they usually pay less than 50 per cent. The BBC would be a major part of the deal.''

Mark Fennessy, CEO of the show's production company, FremantleMedia, agrees the show could survive on overseas sales alone.

``Absolutely. I can tell you that there is a long-term deal being negotiated with the BBC,'' he says.

Though he won't disclose the figure, Fennessy says overseas sales of the show are worth

``multiple millions of dollars'' to the company.

``It is one of the jewels in the crown of FremantleMedia worldwide and this is a billion-dollar company with 29 offices around the world,'' Fennessy says.

``There's not a piece of business FremantleMedia has worldwide that's more important than Neighbours.''

It was once said: ``Neighbours solves problems over a cup of tea, Home and Away solves them by sinking a ferry.''

Neighbours writers recently attempted, but failed, to coax viewers with controversial storylines.

There have been lesbian romps, explosions and a plane crash, but such plots have not resulted in the show maintaining ratings momentum.

Ten faces major challenges as it sets out to re-invent the soap.

The budget is to be boosted, which should help address the fact that the show, with its flimsy sets, looks cheap.

More money means the show will be able to hire additional reputable actors and film more elaborate stunts.

FENNESSY likens Neighbours' predicament to that of a car badly in need of a tune-up.

``It's just been running on bad fuel. It's like a sports car going flat out in second gear. It just needs a change of gear and fresh fuel and it will sing and hum again for another 20 years.''

Fennessy says crucial changes that will make an impact over the next few months include new opening credits, a new musical theme, more shooting on location and the decision to film the show in High Definition (HD).

``Home and Away is shot on HD. That's why it looks like it does.''

The priority for producers is to revert to plots that explore neighbourhood life and to build the profile of core characters.

Critically, the shake-up includes the signing of actors Rowena Wallace (on air from April 10), Penny Cook and Jane Hall.

Casting has begun to recruit a multi-generational family that will move into Ramsay St.

Ten maintains that new interest in the show is spiked by episodes now on air that were filmed in the UK.

Last week the show managed to crack the 800,000-viewer mark.

Ten network drama executive Dan Bennett says the time has come to get Neighbours back to basics.

``There is no secret the show has lost its way over the past month or so in terms of storyline direction. It's kind of skewed away from what was traditionally Neighbours,'' he says.

``The plan very much is to go back to what Neighbours was in the beginning and has been for the majority of its life and refocusing on that. The audience will feel more comfortable and the storylines will be much more accessible to them.''

Fusion Strategy's media analyst Steve Allen believes Neighbours is far from a lost cause.

``Home and Away has been through this cycle, but did well out of re-inventing itself,'' Allen says.

``But you have to be careful how you do it. If you become more bizarre in plotlines, you'll end up fracturing the relationship you have with your core audience. You can't just jerk your audience around and expect them to stay loyal.''

If the show were to disappear from our screens, it would have an enormous economic impact. The production employs more than 120 people to make 2 1/2 hours of TV a week.

Neighbours has spawned its own mini economy, from providing valuable work for local production crews to generating tourism dollars and overseas distribution sales.

Even the real-life residents of the fictional Ramsay St benefit.

Householders in Pin Oak Court, Vermont South -- where the familiar outdoor scenes are filmed -- are paid up to $20,000 a year for the inconvenience caused by filming and visits by busloads of English tourists.

Official Neighbours tour operator George Josevski says he ferries up to 25,000 visitors a year to the street -- 90 per cent of them from the UK.

Up to 200 a week pay $35 to head to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow Hotel, in St Kilda, for a Neighbours trivia night, where they get to rub shoulders with cast members.

Josevski says visitor numbers have increased every year since he started the tours in 1997.

The tours now turn over more than $400,000 annually.

``It's also good for tourism in Victoria because Neighbours obviously has a big following in the UK and it has drawn people to Melbourne,'' Josevski says.

``I'm not saying everyone comes to Melbourne because of Neighbours, but it has made an impact.''

JOSEVSKI, who owns official Neighbours merchandising rights, says fans spend more than $100,000 a year on everything from T-shirts and key rings to board games, DVDs, fridge magnets and caps ordered online or at the Neighbours shop in Flinders St.

Ten's Dan Bennett is convinced the right strategies are now there to get Neighbours back into the race.

``Neighbours is not going anywhere. The plans in place are really going to make the show better than it's ever been and we have no doubt that the audience will respond as such.''

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey thanks for that! I really hope that with the addition of those 3 well known actresses this will help the show. I think its taken far too long however, to upgrade from their cheap looking sets, as well as some of their ridiculous storylines. I would love if it went back to more of the older Neighbours' storylines (pre-2004) but kept the aesthetics of the show current.

I think its taken far too long however, to upgrade from their cheap looking sets, as well as some of their ridiculous storylines. I would love if it went back to more of the older Neighbours' storylines (pre-2004) but kept the aesthetics of the show current.

Agreed a hundred per cent, I might start watching again regularly if that happens. They have to tread carefully with this Revamp because its either going to save the show or kill it completely. I'm unhappy with all the Home and Away comparisons mentioned in the article, even though the show does have the same demographics, they are not the same show. If Neighbours 'Sinks a Ferry' each week the show will lose loyal viewers that's the reason the ratings slumped, it's the reason I tuned out a few years ago.

. I'm unhappy with all the Home and Away comparisons mentioned in the article, even though the show does have the same demographics, they are not the same show.

Yeah that annoyed me too. And never mind the budget and camera's, they need to hire new writers, directors and camera men. They are making out as if Home and away survives only with its budget, when that was its major flaw last year <_< Also, they are going to return neighbours to the family side of things rather than events, by inreasing the budget so they can film more stunts?

I can just see it in six months time, "the new and improved neighbours........has been cancelled to make way for the simpsons repeats"

``Ten wouldn't want to axe the show because they need it to meet their yearly drama quota requirements (commercial networks must run a minimum amount of locally produced, first-run drama each year) and haven't got other hit shows on the shelf.

``If they were to let it go, they'd be faced with getting another drama up and hoping it worked.

Thank you.

``If they were to let it go, they'd be faced with getting another drama up and hoping it worked.

Thank you.

You're Welcome :P Was that meant to be an I told you so Response... If so then have a look at the Kissing Viewers Goodbye Topic before you count your chickens... Coral said that they are working on some new shows that may become possible replacements for Neighbours.

I read that. But I tend to agree with this person. If Neighbours isn't working, what makes people think that a new show will work? Coral mentioned that show "Surgeons" in the other thread. I never watched it, and I don't know how many people did. Either way, it seems like it didn't last long. I don't know how well Tripping Over did either, but I personally lost interest in it pretty fast. (And it only had my interest to begin with because an ex-Neighbours star was in it.)

I'm not against new shows, I just think it would be kind of drastic to take off Neighbours, which has been relatively successful for 20 years, in favour of "trying" something new, pretty much for the heck of it. If they need a timeslot to trial a new show, they could try cutting back on reality TV and reruns. (But then, I do so love the Simpsons...) Even those aren't safe anymore. That dog school show seems to have disappeared, and advertised episodes of the Simpsons were pulled in favour of an apparently spontaneous Australian Idol journey thing. I think Channel Ten really needs to work on its programming in general. Maybe the reason people aren't tuning into Neighbours is that they're not sure if it's on!

I read that. But I tend to agree with this person. If Neighbours isn't working, what makes people think that a new show will work? Coral mentioned that show "Surgeons" in the other thread. I never watched it, and I don't know how many people did. Either way, it seems like it didn't last long. I don't know how well Tripping Over did either, but I personally lost interest in it pretty fast. (And it only had my interest to begin with because an ex-Neighbours star was in it.)

I'm not against new shows, I just think it would be kind of drastic to take off Neighbours, which has been relatively successful for 20 years, in favour of "trying" something new, pretty much for the heck of it. If they need a timeslot to trial a new show, they could try cutting back on reality TV and reruns. (But then, I do so love the Simpsons...) Even those aren't safe anymore. That dog school show seems to have disappeared, and advertised episodes of the Simpsons were pulled in favour of an apparently spontaneous Australian Idol journey thing. I think Channel Ten really needs to work on its programming in general. Maybe the reason people aren't tuning into Neighbours is that they're not sure if it's on!

*Laughs* Yes, Channel Ten does need to work on their programming but if viewers are confused as to when Neighbours is shown they really have been living under a rock, It's been on the 6.30 timeslot since 1992 and there's only a few weeks in summer when it isn't shown.

If they have a replacement show it does need to be tested before replacing it. Surgeons, didn't interest me so I didn't watch it, Tripping Over was shown while I was away for training so I missed the first few episodes so I couldn't get into it however I was once surprised when I flicked the channel to see what was on and I got Dan Mc's butt :wub:... Anyway I would suggest to put it on a 6.00pm timeslot before Neighbours or switching Neighbours to 6pm and putting the new show at 6.30 to get an idea on the shows appeal. Maybe switching the timeslot or temporarily replacing Neighbours may be a good indication on what appeal Neighbours still has.

*Gives Jem heart-shaped cookies* We're both on the same wavelength.

*Eats cookies happily*

They're also forgetting that Neighbours is on earlier than Home and Away, so maybe some people aren't even home in time to watch it. I know that I won't be able to watch Thursday episodes from now on because I'll be catching a later bus home from uni. At the risk of being stereotypical, everyone who watches those current affair programs are shut-ins with no lives who's only pass-time is to complain about things and/or revel in the complaints of others. They'd have no interest in scripted comedy/drama because that's not REAL. The Timmins' are such a waste of TV space - so over the top and ridiculous - so let's get rid of them to draw in those people who are off watching "news reports" about bogans down the street throwing rocks at other bogans down the street... I tell ya, the state of ALL suburbia, it's a wonder those shonky real estate agents can sell inadequite housing!

*Hopes that cookies might soak up some of the beer... seriously, not even one bottle... this is pathetic...*

*Eats cookies happily*

They're also forgetting that Neighbours is on earlier than Home and Away, so maybe some people aren't even home in time to watch it. I know that I won't be able to watch Thursday episodes from now on because I'll be catching a later bus home from uni. At the risk of being stereotypical, everyone who watches those current affair programs are shut-ins with no lives who's only pass-time is to complain about things and/or revel in the complaints of others. They'd have no interest in scripted comedy/drama because that's not REAL. The Timmins' are such a waste of TV space - so over the top and ridiculous - so let's get rid of them to draw in those people who are off watching "news reports" about bogans down the street throwing rocks at other bogans down the street... I tell ya, the state of ALL suburbia, it's a wonder those shonky real estate agents can sell inadequite housing!

*Hopes that cookies might soak up some of the beer... seriously, not even one bottle... this is pathetic...*

*laughs hysterically* I watch those Current Affair programs but I live in Penrith and I'm one of those Bogan's. :P In my personal opinion the Timmins were not the problem... The Ramsay St Stalker, that blew up a plane 6 months after The Summer Bay stalker blew up a plane... that turned out to be the long lost evil twin of Paul's son who was masquerading (sp?) as the good twin and the whole Car crash, lesbian kissing, Pub exploding, Comic book Villain type storylines were the problem.

Edit: Please note I didn't mean everyone from Penrith is a Bogan just me.

Archived