Australian Discussion Thread

Frankie

Haaf14, in today's episode we find out that Stephen Montague has alibied out of killing Kate. So it looks like it may be Sienna.

Jezz, I was wondering how soaps get "renewed" in Australia. Is it every year, or once every few years for the next few years? How is it announced to the public? Thanks!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I just started watching Neighbours since the beginning of this season when I was visiting New Zealand earlier this year and I am finding it sinfully boring. Has it always been this slow-paced? In comparison to the faster-paced storylines in H&A, I am finding it very drab and dull.

dvj1208 it is mostly slow paced which I didn't have an issue with because you can get into it more and if you've missed episodes you can easily catch up. However in the last year or so, I find it very boring and there are not many characters that I like. The Willis family I can't stand especially Josh, the Turner's I don't mind but they got rid of Mason I do not know, Robbo is an arrogant individual who you always wonder why no-one has given an almighty smack, Kate I was glad to see her go. the Rebecci's, I only prefer Callum, the Canning's I liked Dane over Kyle. The rest of the characters are ok but no one stands out. What I do like is the opportunity for old character to return unlike in Home and Away where you don't really see old characters returning.

If you don't me asking but I would assume you live in Australia, so come you post early in the morning. Do you work late shifts?

dvj1208 it is mostly slow paced which I didn't have an issue with because you can get into it more and if you've missed episodes you can easily catch up. However in the last year or so, I find it very boring and there are not many characters that I like. The Willis family I can't stand especially Josh, the Turner's I don't mind but they got rid of Mason I do not know, Robbo is an arrogant individual who you always wonder why no-one has given an almighty smack, Kate I was glad to see her go. the Rebecci's, I only prefer Callum, the Canning's I liked Dane over Kyle. The rest of the characters are ok but no one stands out. What I do like is the opportunity for old character to return unlike in Home and Away where you don't really see old characters returning.

If you don't me asking but I would assume you live in Australia, so come you post early in the morning. Do you work late shifts?

I get what you mean about the older characters returning. They do seem to make a big deal of it. If only home and away did it, even from time to time.

I don't live in Australia, but I posted the comment above late evening my time :P

Thanks dvj1208 and yet again I get it wrong :wink:

If look at both shows you would say that Neighbours has the edge over Home & Away on old characters because H&A has Morag return from time to time to attend a court appearance and I remember Cecilia returning last year other than that I can't think of anyone else. If you look at Neighbours in a space of 3 episodes you had 3 old characters returning in Zeke, Sophie and Doug.

I had a feeling right from the start they were going after the wrong person for shooting Kate.I think it was Sienna.

The storyline with Doug has been good.It's a shame it doesn't have a huge audience in Australia because it does a lot of things better then HAA.

Thanks Jezz. How well did it do for Kate's death.

Episode 6756 (Kate getting engaged with Mark and then getting shot with Mark) - 285,000

Episode 6757 (Kate's death and funeral) - 312,000

Episode 6758 (Doug's arrival) - 238,000

Very big fluctuations in ratings it has to be said in regards to Tuesday's episode and Wednesday's episode when Doug Willis returns to the show. From what I can gather, many people weren't impressed with the nature of Kate's death and the way it was rushed too quickly.

Haaf14, in today's episode we find out that Stephen Montague has alibied out of killing Kate. So it looks like it may be Sienna.

Jezz, I was wondering how soaps get "renewed" in Australia. Is it every year, or once every few years for the next few years? How is it announced to the public? Thanks!

I must admit I'm not sure about how soaps get 'renewed' so to speak in Australia. I guess a lot of it has to do with television ratings and if network channels want to keep the show on air. It also has to do with production costs, contracts of actors/producers etc. It's never announced publicly though so it's all one big guessing game from a viewer's perspective about how soaps are 'renewed' in Australia.

Ive got to admit I'm enjoying Neighbours more at the moment then Home and Away. I think Sienna shot Kate too. I'm loving that Daniel Robinson has come into it now. I hope one day Charlene and Scott will return

I do enjoy Neighbours from time to time, but it is very slow-paced in some areas and so fast-paced in others that if you blink, you miss the storyline, such as Kate's shooting and death.
I'm really disliking Josh. He's such an arrogant person who wants everyone to look after him and he doesn't care about anyone but himself...the selfish jerk. Although, I must admit for me to have this reaction, the bloke has to be a good actor! Lol. Just don't like the character.
Looking forward to seeing what Daniel and Paul get up to together though :)

Archived