These Nightmares

Guest sevenpuddings

Okay, I think you both must already know how brilliant this chapter was, but just in case you didn’t...

For Cassie, there were no certainties in life. Other children she’d met, they’d had certainties. They’d had a mother, who would drop them at the gate, kiss them lightly on the cheek, and stay there, until they’d walked out of sight.

I loved that. Really felt for Cassie.

“Crap,” He swore under his breath, earning a glare from Maggie, as the car suddenly swerved from the main road, and began to bump and rumble, kicking up dust down a dirt road. Peering out the window, she watched on, amazed, enchanted, as the dry bushland turned into lush green trees right before her eyes. Overgrown as they were, she smiled to herself, imagining the fun and games she and Ric might have had, had they come here before… before their innocence was lost in the black.

The car journey description was absolutely amazing, I was travelling with them! But I particularly liked when the car left the main road for the dirt road and began “kicking up dust” and how the scenery began to change. I could picture it like a moving image. (I’m beginning to think either your description was exceptionally good or I was actually sitting in the front seat with Maggie... :P )

In her mind’s eye Sally looked kind of like Mrs Slater but not as fat. In her mid-forties like Mrs Taylor with soft white hair and a round, lined face. Big eyes, not small and slanted like Mrs Jessop’s but big, soft eyes that smiled and danced and looked at Cassie as if she was the most special person in the world.

She had no picture of him. It was best not to. Numerous foster fathers and Cassie had never warmed to any of them best to keep your distance. At the end of the day foster father’s were men and men, however nice they seemed, couldn’t be trusted.

I know Sally wasn’t how she pictured when they met, but that made me smile so much. And then the sadness of Cassie’s image of men... So effective.

Well, you know me; you can take the kid out of the city, but you can’t take the city out of the kid.” What he’d said wasn’t a lie either. Having grown up in downtown Sydney, Ric knew the one thing he loved about life was the congestion, the fury, and the fast pace that city life moved at. It was the one thing he always knew would keep up with him.

Living in a smaller, more rural town, Ric knew he’d miss the sounds of cars flying past his window at three in the morning. Somehow, that had become a comfort him.

Loved that. Really caught Ric's personality as did the part about him watching the car racing on TV.

It wasn’t dark; that was her first observation, as Cassie looked around the room quickly. It was light, welcoming, warm. Not overly tidy either, like other places they’d been. There were a few papers strewn over a desk, older newspapers sitting on the table, and pictures everywhere...

That was another fantastic description, easy to see. Just like I was there. (Ummm...I wasn’t travelling with them, was I...? :unsure: )

Lucky you, Cassie though to herself a little bitterly, as she remembered the numerous homes she’d been sent to for the last seven years of her life.

Nice touch. It’s going to be intriguing when Cassie finds out Sally was a foster kid herself.

as moths practically swarmed around in her body

Okay, I hate to do this, but people are always asking for constructive criticism so here goes. I think it would have been better to drop that line (especially as it’s almost the first line and first impressions are always the most important part of any story). It doesn’t sound right. It’s a terrible cliche but “butterflies in her tummy” would have been better or maybe Cassie “tried but couldn’t stop trembling with anxiety and fear”.

Loved this chapter though and how Sally and Flynn are just as uncertain as Ric and Cassie. This is too good to be a mere fanfic, it's really fantastic writing. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, WOW!!!!

I only just started reading this today and have read the 3 chapters and I am in awe of you girls and the amazing talents you all possess!!! These chapters have really shown a great diversity in your writing showing that you can write and have written from several different points of view which I have found truelly facinating!!!

I figure seeing as we are all starting to present much more detailed and critical reviews maybe I should jump on this band wagon and give you guys a long review to!!!

He peered out from under the covers and saw her slight, small figure silhouetted against the moonlight.

I just love how you describe the seven year old Cassie, funnily enough it really reminds me of this tiny little girl I saw in the Emergency waiting room at the hospital the other day, she was so cute and so adorable and looked like one of those little girls that you would want to protect from something bad ever happening to them.

The Slaters were not at all pleased to find seven year old Cassie in bed with eight year old Ric but Ric could take their shouting, he could take their threats but Cassie was his friend and what was wrong with them sharing a bed?

That was so abordable I can really see these two little kids just waking up in the same bed after nothing has happened and completely innocent it is just sooo unbeleivably adorable!!!! It's just one of those things you gush over when it comes to little children!!!

I love how you have shown them evolving over their ages and how they are changing as they are getting older it is all very lifelike!!!

In the second chapter I really felt for Ric as he had woken up and overheard the old women talking about him, it would be so hard to find out that this is your last chance like that with no one ever giving you a warning when really all you think you are doing is what you think is best for your best friend... It would be really difficult to here that kind of thing!!!

And onto the third chapter this one hit me like a tonne of bricks to be honest. I love Sally so much on the show and although I am really imagining the whole story and alot of it I can actually see as being played out the one paragraph where you described Sally:

She was dark, not white haired, about the height of Cassie. Young, maybe late twenties or early thirties, certainly not mid-forties and there were no lines on her face. Her figure was slim, not round and though her smile was large, Cassie couldn't help but feel it looked a little forced, not the loving, warm smile of her imaginings. Her posture reminded Cassie a little of the ballerina's she'd seen on TV, tall and stiff, rather than warm and welcoming as she moved rather robotically towards the door.
To be honest I really couldn't picture it!!! I just can't ever see Sally as one of those people forcing a smile particularly in this type of situation!!! That said I can't wait to see where you take her character cause this could be a WHOLE NEW journey for the character of Sally.

I just love Flynn it is so Flynn I just don't know what to say that is exactly the way he would be and should be and the way if I was going to a foster home I would want them to be!!! I miss Flynn on the show sooo MUCH!!!

"Don't touch that," She snapped loudly, as all eyes fell on Cassie. Numbly, she put the picture back in its place, her eyes darting towards the ground, her mind swirling with fragments of memories, long forgotten, of another woman who once, would yell at her too.

"I mean, Cassie, I'm…" Sally stuttered, as Flynn took her hand in his, but made no attempt at an apology.

This has got me really and truelly intreuged I can't wait to see where this leads it must be something extremely personal for our Sally to react that way towards Cassie picking it up to inspect it!!!

Well after reading the first three chapters I really and truelly can't wait to see the next twists and turns that this story will take next you have certainly cast the rod out there and have reeled me in I am definately interested in continuing to read this story so please update soon!!!

Sasha xx

I love that we're converting more people round to long reviews, so much more useful and interesting for the author to read although is that the reason the number of reviews have dropped? Only two reviews in the whole week I was away; that's a bit disappointing, maybe this is a bit too descriptive for some people's liking? I don't know. Thanks to those who have reviews though. Really appreciated.

I love that we're converting more people round to long reviews, so much more useful and interesting for the author to read although is that the reason the number of reviews have dropped? Only two reviews in the whole week I was away; that's a bit disappointing, maybe this is a bit too descriptive for some people's liking? I don't know. Thanks to those who have reviews though. Really appreciated.

Actually, I think the reason is it's TOO GOOD to be subjected to fanfic reviews like "update soon!" and most people are just sitting back and enjoying the read. :D

My God that must have taken ages to write! I honestly didn't realise you had updated I'm more in the A&C forum than here but I'm so glad I popped in. Such amazing writing and took me a while to read. :P Terrific discription. I love that he is like a big brother type towards Cassie, which shows in the last paragraph too. For Cassie, there were no certainties in life. Such a heartbreaking line. :( As is the way she's so weary and distrusting of the men in her life. Great dialogue too. “The way you say ‘green’,” She said quietly, not wanting to get on Maggie’s bad side after such a long trip “It’s like it’s the filthiest word you’ve ever said,” And you can take the kid out of the city, but you can’t take the city out of the kid.” Just wondering are you and Jess each writing a chapter seperately or do you both write one together? Either way I'm looking forward to the next one! :D

Thanks Amy. We both write every chapter. Some chapters Jess'll write a lot of and then I'll add stuff in and other chapters I'll write some of and she'll finish off. We have a full timeline planned out, what we're finding though is that we're both writing bits and when we put it together we have complete chapters so its working quite well, we're just taking it in turns to post them.

There should be an update soon though hopefully.

Oh...I can't believe I missed the second chapter!! I guess I wasn't on much the time you were updating. As for your concern about reviews dropping Kat, I have to admit that I review less often as I do want to give a descriptive one that is useful rather than a "It was great, update soon". And because of that, I'll run out of time to review properly.

Like now, so I'll review and edit this post soon. It was a great chapter, and I can't believe I missed it!

Thanks Kase, I know what you mean and I'm exactly the same with other people's fics aswell so I should just stop moaning! Anyway here's another chapter for you all to read and hopefully enjoy!

Jess and I would both like to say a big thank you to Jade for proof reading this chapter for us...you're freeing us both up to write more so thanks!

Oh and just one point I wanted to mention. Someone commented in one of the reviews about Sally. Jess and I decided that in order to go with the direction we intended with this story Sally's character would have to be slightly different to the Sally we see on Home and Away. Also remember that Sally in this story is being seen through Ric and Cassie's eyes and they have their own issues regarding her. I hope people can accept the slight character changes and appreciate the story nonetheless.

Chapter Three

-

“Thank you Mrs. Roberts,” Cassie heard Sally say primly.

“Have a safe trip home,” Flynn added as she looked up to see them waving from by the door before Flynn shut it gently.

And no goodbye to us, Ric thought bitterly to himself, how typical.

He looked across and caught Cassie’s gaze before flipping the television off and swivelling in his seat to face Flynn and Sally. They stood awkwardly in the doorway, glancing at one another almost nervously before Flynn finally made a move.

“You’ll have to excuse Sally and I,” He said kindly, “We’ve never had foster children before, and we’re still adjusting.”

“So we’re like test animals?”

Ric’s eyes snapped to Cassie, who was glaring evilly at Flynn and Sally, her eyes unnerving, locked in a secret battle with Sally, who was fidgeting nervously with her hands under the intensity of the gaze. Ric looked distantly at her, as if slightly wary of delving too deep; but just from one glance, her eyes, as always, gave her away. In her eyes he saw enormous animosity towards the couple that had taken them in, and was completely unsure of where it had come from.

“Of course not,” Flynn responded immediately, taking his wife’s hand in his own. Ric noted the warmth in his voice, despite the obvious snarky comment that Cassie had just attacked them with, and he had to give them bonus points for that.

“What we’re trying to say Cassie, is that everything might not go as smoothly as we’d like it to in the beginning, but we’re both ecstatic that you’re here. Both of you,” He appealed to her, but she continued to glare, unintimidated by neither the severness she so obviously saw in Sally, nor the kindness offered by Flynn. His eyes glanced to Ric, who managed to give a half smile in their direction.

“We’ve prepared your rooms,” Sally said, attempting to ease the tension filled room, but Cassie observed that her tone was edgy, and therefore only fuelled her anger.

“Rooms?” Ric asked, quickly glancing at Cassie. “As in plural?”

Sally looked nervously at Flynn, practically begging him to take the lead. And once more, Ric watched on, as Flynn approached the teenagers as the voice of reason.

“We just thought that maybe, considering that we’ve certainly got the room, that you’d each like a bedroom to yourself? They mentioned that you’d often been placed in rooms together...”

“By choice,” Cassie snapped, earning another odd look from Ric, which she ignored.

“We were told that too,” Flynn took it all in his stride, and Ric admired him for that. Not many people could ignore Cassie on the rare occasion that she became as foul as this.

“And we talked about putting you both into the same room, but we came to the decision that its probably better in the long run if you’re in separate rooms,” Flynn appealed and Ric sat back, stunned.

Long run.

Flynn had used those words to describe their stay here. In Summer Bay. With Flynn and Sally Saunders.

Long run.

“Separate rooms would be great,” Ric blurted out before he knew what was going on. He felt her icy glare cast over him, but he pretended not to notice, as he grinned up at Flynn and Sally.

“Great!” Flynn replied enthusiastically, hugging Sally close, as she managed to smile down at Ric. Cassie rolled her eyes at them before standing up and stalking over to her bags in the doorway.

“So can we see these rooms or not?” She asked spitefully, her dark mood only intensified by watching Ric suck up to the perfect couple. It was all becoming rather sickening and she only wished that she could take back asking Ric to put up this ‘good boy’ act; she missed the real him right now.

“Sure,” Sally nodded before letting go of Flynn’s hand and motioning for Cassie to follow her. Her mouth set in a thin line; Cassie slumped along behind Sally, as she heard Flynn talking animatedly to Ric behind her.

Sally even walks like she’s got a pole stuck up her ass, Cassie mused, as she followed her up the winding staircase, until they came to a stop in front of a pink doorway. She cringed at the salmon like colour, and groaned deeply when Sally turned to smile at her.

“Let me guess,” She said, “My room?”

“Yes,” Her reply was sharp and severe, and made Cassie shiver a little. “And Ric’s room is right next door, so you won’t be too far away.”

“Far enough,” Cassie replied shortly, before storming past Sally into the room, and slamming the door behind her.

Sally was stunned into silence as she looked at the door. She took a few deep breaths before she turned to see Flynn and Ric standing awkwardly at the top of the stairs.

Ric felt sorry for the woman that had taken them into her home. She was obviously trying hard, and could tell from the way her hands were shaking that Cassie’s behaviour was obviously not what they were expecting.

But then again, what could they expect? Foster kids weren't normal kids; as they had been so painfully reminded many times before. Why else would they be alone? But nevertheless, Ric had to wonder why the 'good' one, his best friend, who usually always made such an effort, was now acting as if she was in the midst of hell.

Looking at the hostile door in front of him, he shrugged apologetically in her direction before asking, “So, that’s my room?” gently.

“Yes,” Sally replied, her voice quiet.

“Thank you Mrs. Saunders” Ric replied as he eased himself gently past her into his room. He shut his door gently behind him and leaned against it, just long enough to hear sniffles coming from outside, muffled by what he could only guess was Flynn’s body.

Cassie had been a right cow all afternoon, and Ric could not for the life of him understand why. She had been the one to make him promise to behave. She had been the one excited to come here – she was the one who loved the outdoors, the fresh air, and the trails of bushland that led to anywhere she wanted to. He had only come for her. He had only behaved for her.

And what had she done? Thrown it back in his face. In their face. And Ric wanted to know why. He threw his stuff down onto the bed that sat in the corner of the room and roughly pulled the door open, only to collide with Cassie.

“Ow!” She yelled as their foreheads collided, and she was knocked back onto the ground.

“God Cass,” Ric snapped at her as he held his own forehead, “Way to make an entrance,”

“At least I wasn’t barging out of my room. Off to suck up to your new mummy and daddy?” She spat at him, as Ric looked down at her, shocked, his mouth gaping open and shut.

“Whatever,” She stood up and rubbed her head. “I’m going to watch television.”

“Fine,” Ric replied, as he followed her wordlessly down the stairs.

“You unpacked then?” Flynn asked brightly as Ric and Cassie re-entered the room. Cassie glanced nervously in his direction, shrugged and ignoring him, went to the couch and turned on the television.

“Were the rooms okay for you?” he persisted. Ric looked over at the guy. Cassie was being a pain in the ass but still the smile on his face remained genuine.

“They’re great thanks,” Ric replied, taking pity on him. He smiled gratefully.

“Would you like something to eat? A sandwich maybe?” She appeared to have come in from outside and she stood, slightly behind him, as if using him as a barrier. Ric was quick to notice her eyes darting nervously around the room.

“No. We’re going to go explore.”

Ric heard the sound of the television being switched off and turned to glare at Cassie, annoyed at her rudeness. She glared back at him but something about the look on her face took Ric by surprise. She seemed angry, her lips set in a thin, stubborn line but it was her eyes that most concerned him. Her eyes had always betrayed her, always gave her away and her mistrust, her unease was clear to see, but there was something else. A coldness, a dark, haunted look. Ric raised an eyebrow at her, shooting silent questions in her direction.

“So are you hungry then?”

Mrs Weston had looked at them both with such an eager expression that Ric had been unable to contain his giggles and had reacted angrily when Cassie dug him sharply in the ribs.

“Be polite then!” she had hissed back, before turning to Mrs Weston with her brightest smile and softly explaining that they were both starving and would be very grateful for something to eat. Ric had glared at her as she had agreed on ham and watched with mounting unease as Mrs Weston had bestowed on Cassie the loving sort of affectionate look that Ric didn’t remember ever seeing directed at him.

“You coming Ric?” The sharpness in her voice brought him back to reality and he turned to look at her, but the girl stood before him wasn’t the happy, excited girl who had dug him in the ribs on that day at the Westons. She wasn’t even the nervously, excited girl who had sat shaking in the car next to him that very morning. She was different and Ric couldn’t put his finger on why.

“Would you maybe like us to show you round?” Ric turned to look at Flynn, his face wearing a similar eager look to the one Mrs Weston had worn the day he had laughed. Yet Ric didn’t feel like laughing now, not at Flynn; something about the guy made Ric want to answer him but Cassie beat him to it.

“We’ll be alright,” she snapped sharply.

Ric glared at her, his surprise at her actions now becoming mixed with annoyance. He shrugged apologetically at Flynn and was surprised to see that the guy looked genuinely crushed.

“What Cass means is that it might be nice to explore on our own for now, maybe you could meet us in an hour or so?” Ric hadn’t intended to suggest meeting them but something about the guy made him want to compromise, meet them halfway. After all he had sworn to give this a go.

“That’d be great. We’ll meet you at the BeachSide Diner, you won’t be able to miss that, its just off the Beach but if you get lost you can ask somebody. Shall we say 5.00?” he suggested, his eyes meeting Ric’s. Ric nodded, unable to respond to the obvious warmth and thanks radiating through the guy’s eyes. He had really kind eyes.

“Are you coming Ric?” Cassie was already at the door and the look she shot in his direction left Ric in no uncertainty that she’d go without him; and however grown up and tough Cassie was feeling right now, this was a strange place and there was no way Ric was going to let her explore on her own.

“Sure, see you later.” The woman, Sally still said nothing, her eyes betraying her concern and mistrust but he managed to smile, a grateful smile, a genuine smile and Ric found it all to easy to return as he raced out the door, following Cassie down the path.

-

He caught up with her almost power marching down the path that led through the centre of rows of caravans.

“Hey,” he took hold of her arm but she angrily brushed him off. “What is with you?” he snapped.

“With me? You’re the one sucking up.” The venom in her tone caused him to stop in his tracks and she went ahead of him again.

“You’re the one who wanted me to make an effort. You begged me to try and make this work and I’m doing exactly what you asked except that you’re the one screwing things up. Why Cass?” His words came out more angrily than he intended, his frustration with her finally exploding.

“Because I hate it here, okay? And I hate them!” Her eyes flashed dangerously in his direction before she took off at a run down the path. Ric kicked the ground in his fury, causing a storm of sand to blow back up in his eyes. He swore loudly.

“Excuse me young man but there’s no need for that type of language round here.” Ric spun round, furiously to face the shrew faced woman in the appaling floral dress who was looking at him like dirt. It was a familiar look, one Ric had seen all too often and he reacted just as he always did.

“Rack off you nosy old bitch!” Her jaw dropped in horror and Ric thought he almost saw tears in her eyes as she practically bristled with indignation.

“Well I never heard such disgraceful…”

Ric cut off her tirade by turning on his heel and running off in the direction Cassie had taken. The path meandered through dense shrubbery, sloping gradually downhill but Ric noticed nothing of that as his feet took on a mind of their own, directed by his fury.

Suddenly the path opened up and Ric stopped in his tracks, stunned. His breath caught in his throat and he could do nothing but stare. He was aware that the ground beneath his feet had changed, the sand strewn, worn gravel path had given way to a bed of soft golden grains of sand that glistened and caught the light of a strong bright sun sitting proudly in a silken blue sky, reflecting light and warmth onto the vast expanse of beach.

Beyond the sand, balls of white, frothy foam rolled their way towards him, crashing suddenly onto the sand and then dissolving as if they had never existed. They were quickly followed through by another wave and then another, as Ric watched them mesmerised. Far out amongst the froth Ric watched a guy leap from lying to standing on his surf board in so agile a movement that it was barely noticeable that he’d moved at all. He watched fascinated as the guy manoeuvred his body in line with the surf and rode the wave into the shore, his body moving at one with the Ocean.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Ric almost jumped out of his skin at the sound of the soft female voice and he reluctantly turned his eyes from the ocean to look at her. She was smiling at him, her eyes betraying her obvious curiosity and interest. Her smile was wide, warm and reached those same eyes which he could not help but notice were a brilliant blue, lighter than the ocean but darker than the sky and framed by long, dark lashes.

“Yeah its stunning.” Ric tore his eyes away from her just in time to watch the surfer come crashing from his board and Ric smiled, watching as the guy shook himself off and got straight back on the board.

“That’s my brother, well my step-brother Luke,” she told him. Ric turned back to look at her. A loose tendril of hair had escaped from its band and had fallen over her face and Ric felt a sudden urge to loosen the band and free the rest of her hair, just to see it fall, soft and thick down her back. “Do you surf?” she asked, suddenly.

“No. I mean, I never really had the chance before now,” he admitted.

“City kid?”

“Sydney,” he replied.

“You can tell.” She smiled at him as she spoke and Ric felt himself smiling back, at a comment, which from anybody else’s lips, might have ended in a snapped retort. There was something about her though, an innocence, a vulnerability and her lips were so damn cute that Ric didn’t think he minded what came out of them.

“You should take lessons while you’re here. Kim Hyde is a really good Surf Instructor, he works in the gym up in the Surf Club. That building up there.” She turned and pointed and Ric followed her gaze up the sand but he never got further than the fence. A familiar figure was sat just in front of it, her hands wrapped around her knees, her eyes fixed on the Ocean but even from a distance Ric recognised that troubled look, that pained expression.

“Thanks, I might just do that,” he smiled at her, storing the name Kim Hyde into his memory. “I have to go now but it was nice talking to you,” he told her honestly.

“And you. Maybe see you around?” she asked.

“I expect so,” Ric replied and was rewarded with a winning smile which he automatically returned before turning his back on her, beginning to make his way up the beach.

“Hey!” he heard her call and turned around. “What’s your name?”

“Ric,” he replied with a grin.

“Matilda Hunter,” she offered in return, “see you around.” Turning on her heel she raced off towards the shore, assumedly to meet up with her step-brother the Surfer.

Matilda Hunter.

Her name echoed in Ric’s head and he smiled to himself before squaring his shoulders and heading up the sand. Matilda had been really easy to talk to but somehow Ric doubted he’d have the same success with Cassie.

Great chapter, I like the way its Cassie that has the problem living with Sally and Flynn and not Ric. You describe Ric's confusion with Cass's behaviour really well, its also made a nice change to have Cassie as the more problem child as most of the time we just expect it to be Ric.

His meeting with Matilda was interesting I cant wait to see how their friendship/relationship will develop and how it will affect his bond with Cassie.

I cant wait to see how the family unit will develop between the four of them and how Ric and Cassie will interact with the other residents of the bay.

This is still a brilliant, well written fic and I hope you guys will be able to update again soon. Well done.

Archived