These Nightmares

Guest sevenpuddings

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

It doth return. Special mention to Kase for pushing Kat and I back into writing this story. We held up our end of the bargain, now its time for you to old up yours!!

I hope it holds up, sall. Don't worry, we have plenty more in the works too. Hopefully it won't go on Hiatus again!!

-

-

Chapter Four

The wind whipped her hair gently around her face, causing tickling sensations all down her jaw line. Wistfully, she contemplated the horizon, watching the sun fade behind the gentle waves that were crashing softly on the shoreline, rhythmically, much like the slow beatings of her heart. Her breathing had calmed now. No longer was her heart thumping in her chest, as it had been when she’d finally stopped sprinting.

As the breeze swept across her face, it sent a small chill down her spine, washing over the light layer of sweat had formed on her brow from the quick pace she’d set while running from Ric. Not that she needed to be worried, she mused, as she breathed in the salty air – her long legs had always made her a speedy runner, allowing her to escape more often than not – not that she’d ever had the need to escape from Ric.

Generally, it had been the opposite, she thought, remembering the many times she’d ran into his comforting arms, the arms that always chased the demons away. She shivered then, pulling her arms tightly around her body, curling into a ball, as fleeting memories flashed through her mind, her breath becoming caught in her throat as she remembered the fear she’d felt during her lifetime. At such a tender age she’d been introduced to feelings that she knew weren’t normal; that she knew people should never have to feel.

She’d been so young. So vulnerable. And she could not forget. Never forget, his hands on her body. Those large, calloused, hard hands had haunted her nightmares for so many years now. Hands, she thought, shivering, she was never going to escape. Because despite the fact they’d taken her from that place long, long ago, she could never out run the nightmares. She could never out run her fears of loneliness.

The tears rolled gently down her cheeks, and she felt his rough hands reach cautiously up to brush them away. Her eyes closed quickly, unwilling to meet his own when she knew all she’d see in them was painful disappointment. Because she had been the one to ruin things here for them – ruin any chance they had of a real life. Crumbling into his open arms, she felt her body mould into his, as he pulled her close, protecting her form the nightmares that haunted her very existence.

“She won’t love me,” Cassie sobbed into Ric’s chest, as his broad arms wrapped around her thin frame tightly. “They never love us, they never love me,” She continued to cry, her body beginning to convulse with sobs. “We’re always alone Ric, they always leave… us… alone,” Finally, Cassie’s body collapsed against Ric’s as he soothed her gently, allowing the release of everything she’d stored inside of her from the minute they arrived.

Cassie always wanted people to believe she was stronger than she really was. It was rare that she let her guard down – even around Ric, who claimed to have seen her at her worst. He knew of the nightmares from her past, and every time he imagined the man she described once to him touching her, his fists would clench until all the blood drained from them. The image of someone hurting Cassie was enough to push him over the edge. Yet when Cassie behaved as she had today – rare enough indeed – Ric knew deep down there were memories from her past that even she had hidden in the deepest regions of her brain. Memories that would surface when she was strong enough to deal with them on her own.

“Shh,” He said gently, as he rubbed small circles on her back “It’s okay Cass, you’ve got me,” He whispered into her ear, “You’ll always have me.” She sniffled against his chest as her sobs subsided, and finally managed to look up at him, her eyes rimmed with red from crying. “You promise?”

Ric couldn’t help but give her a little grin. “I promise, Cass, I’ll always be here for you, no matter what. You’re my life,” He sighed gently, as she began to untangle herself from the strong embrace. “You’re my family, my everything. I could never be me without you.”

Cassie bit her lip and looked away, thinking it through, before smiling up at him shyly. “You’re my family too, and I need you so much Ric,” She tugged on his sleave gently, reiterating the point “Just, don’t let me do this alone?” Her large eyes looked up at him, and he pulled her into a tight hug, murmuring “Never Cass, k?” Before allowing her to breath, and letting her out of the embrace.

“And I’m sorry I was so horrible back at the house,” Cassie replied instantly, biting her lip once more nervously, “I promise, this time, I won’t let anything ruin our chances, okay?” She continued, taking her hand in his. He grinned down at her, squeezing her hand gently, before turning around, and looking towards the diner. “Hey,” Ric motioned “I think that’s where Sally and Flynn said they’d meet us.”

At the mention of their names, Cassie’s hand tensed up within his own, but Ric threw her a reassuring smile, and felt her relax in an instant. Looking up towards the diner, he began walking in its direction, only to be distracted by some familiar blonde hair. Within moments, Matilda had approached them, and have him a small smile, causing him to drop Cassie’s hand instantly.

Cassie, frowning at the interaction, instantly grabbed Ric’s hand and pulled him hastily towards the diner, scowling at him, while he shook his head in confusion. “What?” He muttered under his breath to her as they walked in the doorway. “Who the hell was that?” Cassie managed to spit out quietly, as Ric continued to look at her. As he opened his mouth to speak, however, their names we called out from the other side off the room. Ric waved at them, and motioned for Cassie to follow him. “Please behave Cass,” He said under his breath as they approached the table. She shot him a stare before sitting herself down in an empty chair, forcing a smile towards Flynn and Sally.

“Did you have fun exploring then?” Flynn asked happily, trying to remain upbeat as possible, as Sally glanced around the crowded Diner.

Ric nodded and nudged Cassie, who threw them a small grin, before replying “Yeah, the beach looks pretty amazing,”

Flynn nodded enthusiastically. “Its naturally beautiful. Personally, I find 6am to be the best time, seeing as that’s when it’s the least crowded,”

Cassie wrinkled her nose in unison with Sally, which caused Ric to stifle a laugh, especially as Cassie shot him a glare.

“You’re not a morning person either?” Sally asked Cassie timidly, but Cassie only shook her head in return, biting her lip and looking towards her lap.

At she hadn’t spat a snarky reply in her face, Ric mused a little defeatedly.

“so what would you like to order then, you can have whatever you like seeing as it’s a celebration,” Flynn offered with a cheerful grin. Sensing Cassie about to speak next to him Ruc beat her to it.

“That’s awesome Mr Saunders,” Ric jumped in.

“Its Flynn and Sally, none of this Mr and Mrs Saunders stuff, you’re living with us now, you’re family there’s no need for anything so formal,” Flynn smiled at them both. Ric looked over at Cassie. Never in all the homes they had been with had they ever been referred to as family and for once Cassie too was stunned into silence.

“T..thanks, Flynn,” Ric managed.

“Great so with the formal stuff out the way what are we eating because I for one am starving!” Flynn announced.

“You only ate half an hour ago!” Sally teased him playfully.

“Well I’m a growing man,” Flynn shot back, winking at Ric and Ric managed a smile. These two were making a genuine effort and they obviously weren’t in a hurry to be rid of them despite Cassie’s best efforts. Maybe, just maybe this wasn’t going to be so bad after all, Ric thought to himself as he picked up his menu and began to study it.

-

-

“A double cheese burger with extra fries? You’re a walking heart attack Flynn Saunders,” Sally scolded after Flynn announced his choice.

“I was going to choose that too.” Ric’s voice was hesitant but he was rewarded with a smile as Sally looked up at him.

“The difference is Ric that you didn’t only eat half an hour ago and you’re still growing whereas Flynn here can only grow in one direction, outwards.” Sally giggled and Ric found himself caught in her playfulness. When she relaxed she really was a lot of fun.

“Women.” Flynn rolled his eyeballs at Ric who laughed in response. “It’s going to be good to have another man in the house.”

“Well don’t you go thinking you’ll get it all your own way because us women are the ones with the real power, right Cassie?” Ric held his breath, he knew an olive branch when he saw it, Sally was trying so hard. He only hoped Cassie had the decency to accept it.

“Sure I mean everyone knows that women are waay more intelligent.” Ric felt as if he could have picked her up and spun her around, he was so pleased to see her finally making an effort.

“I couldn’t agree more.” Sally could not have looked more delighted as she bestowed a beaming grin on Cassie.

“Well how about we boys leave you girls to plotting your world take over while we do the manly thing and order the food. Tuna mayo Sal and The Chicken Surprise Cassie?” Flynn stood up on receiving nods from Cassie and his wife. Ric stood up to follow him to the counter and Cassie, without Ric’s reassuring presence, reverted to ripping apart her paper napkin.

“So Cassie what sort of things are you into?” Cassie could feel the older woman’s gaze on the top of her head but she felt too scared to even look up. This Sally, she wasn’t what Cassie expected but still she was trying. Flynn seemed to like Ric and Ric was obviously getting settled here, what if they decided Cassie was a disappointment? What if they decided just to keep Ric? Forcing herself to look up she found herself meeting a pair of very kind, very soft and very pretty greeny, blue eyes.

“You know the usual stuff, music, shopping, sunbathing…” Cassie shrugged.

“Well you’ve come to the right place for sunbathing, did you get a look at our beach here?”

“Yeah its lovely,” Cassie replied honestly, “Not the best place for shopping and partying though.” Cassie didn’t even know why she had said it. Sally was trying so hard and all Cassie kept doing was throwing negatives at her. Sally shifted uncomfortably.

“Well Yabbie Creek’s only a short bus ride away and we go into the City a far bit. The Bay has things to make up for it though, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.” Cassie noted the defensive tone in Sally’s voice and felt guilty at having put it there.

“I’m sure Summer Bay’s nice though.” She amended slightly, looking desperately over her shoulder in the hope that Ric and Flynn would return soon to ease the awkwardness. Sally must have been thinking along the same lines.

“Ric’s probably getting the whole town low down from Colleen, she’s our resident busybody. She has a heart of gold though so we tend to forgive her when her mouth runs away with her,” Sally explained.

“Is she the red haired woman?” Cassie asked, looking over at the counter.

“Ah no that’s Irene, you’ll meet her soon enough, she’s offered to adjust your school uniform for you tonight.”

“Why does it have to be done tonight?” Cassie felt a sinking feeling in her stomach.

“For school tomorrow of course.” Sally confirmed her worst fears.

“Why tomorrow? Isn’t it a bit soon?” Cassie felt as if her whole body had been enveloped in a straight jacket and her breathing increased as she looked frantically around the tiny, cramped Diner with its typical small town paint job and small town people.

“Flynn and I thought it would be better to have you settled in as soon as possible into a routine,” Sally tried to explain but in her panic all sense of logic left Cassie and she could feel nothing but fury.

“More like you didn’t want to take time off work you mean.” Sally’s face flushed red as the remark hit home and she began to fidget nervously with the salt and pepper shakers. Fortunately she was saved from replying by the sound of raised voices from the counter and both women turned to see a small, older woman in a hideous floral dress laying into Ric for something.

Cassie knew what was coming next, she had seen it a million times and sure enough she watched as Ric’s temper emerged and he nearly blew the woman’s head off. She looked completely horror struck as Ric stormed off out of the Diner and after a second’s glance in Sally’s direction, Flynn raced after him.

Cassie stood up to go after him too but instantly felt a hand on her shoulder. “Stay here,” Sally instructed.

“Ric needs me, I’m going after him!” Cassie brushed her aside.

“Flynn has gone after him. You can sit here while I go and speak to Colleen and find out what just went on there.” Cassie glowered at Sally’s back as she headed to the counter to be greeted with a verbal onslaught from the obviously distressed woman that Ric had just given out on.

Cassie sat in her seat for a few seconds contemplating going after Ric anyway but Sally had positioned herself in such a way that Cassie remained in her line of vision as she tried to placate the irate woman. Sinking back into her seat Cassie sighed deeply.

“Who is that guy?” Cassie looked up in surprise to find a pretty brunette girl with a really great figure sat in the seat opposite her and looking at her with interest. “The guy who just told Colleen where to stick it, who is he?”

“Ric?” Cassie’s answer was out of her mouth before she even considered it. “What’s it to you?”

“Just interested is all. You’re new right?”

“Ten points to Einstein.” Cassie looked at the walls in the hope the girl would get the message and leave her alone.

“Ah Belle, I take it you’ve met Cassie? Cassie you’ll be going to school with Belle so its good that you’ve met already.” Cassie was aware that Sally’s arrival had just prevented the brunette from firing back a retort but the look on her face made it clear that she wasn’t likely to forget in a hurry.

“I’ll see you in school Cassie, bye Sally.” The girl called Belle disappeared and Sally retook her seat.

“Did you find out what the old bat said?” Cassie asked. Sally took a sharp intake of breath and Cassie knew she’d said the wrong thing. “You said she was the resident busybody.” Cassie shrugged.

“That doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve respect though,” Sally scolded and Cassie merely glowered back at her as the two women faced off over the Diner table.

-

-

Eeeee it's BACK! And I'm so glad.

Special mention to Kase for pushing Kat and I back into writing this story. We held up our end of the bargain, now its time for you to old up yours!!

I do want to continue my story. I really do. It's just at a point where I've left it so long that the storylines on Aus H&A make where I wanted to go with my story a bit absurd! So I'm deliberating whether to take it into another direction, in which case I have to figure out where, or keep going with it. But if I do go with my original plan, I need to plan it really well otherwise it'll just flop :glare: Thank you guys though, I will keep my end of the bargain and not abandon it, because this update has made me fall in love with this story all over again! It's the least I could do :)

It's just such terrific writing. The way you dwelve into Cassie and Ric and all their insecurities. They are so tight I can see that finding the perfect family and settling in will actually rob them of that closeness. Where it is just them against the world. Already Matilda is causing Cassie jealousy, and Sally asking Cassie not to go after Ric is something different for her. I just can't wait to see where it all goes and how they adapt (or not adapt). And that little spiff with Belle makes me think Summer Bay High may not be very pleasant for Cass.

It's so good to have this back! I hope it doesn't go on hiatus either!

The wind whipped her hair gently around her face, causing tickling sensations all down her jaw line. Wistfully, she contemplated the horizon, watching the sun fade behind the gentle waves that were crashing softly on the shoreline, rhythmically, much like the slow beatings of her heart. Her breathing had calmed now. No longer was her heart thumping in her chest, as it had been when she’d finally stopped sprinting.

Spectacular beginning. Well described. :)

“She won’t love me,” Cassie sobbed into Ric’s chest, as his broad arms wrapped around her thin frame tightly. “They never love us, they never love me,” She continued to cry, her body beginning to convulse with sobs. “We’re always alone Ric, they always leave… us… alone,”

That is so sad. :(

“That doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve respect though,” Sally scolded and Cassie merely glowered back at her as the two women faced off over the Diner table.

Aww, just as Sally and Cassie were making an effort with each other too! Great to see Ric and Flynn making a connection tho. And great to see an update at last! :D

Firstly thanks for the reviews.

Secondly I want to just congratulate Jess on the awesome description in the Cassie scene at the start of the chapter. That part was wholly hers and I think its so spectacular it's worth making sure she gets the credit for it.

There'll be more to come very soon with this. :)

Okay, firstly Jess and I want to thank everyone who took time to review after such a long lay off. Those of you following will be pleased to know that we've been re-inspired with this and now have a few chapters ready to go so hopefully people will keep reading and we can keep posting them. :)

As ever each chapter is fifty/fifty we're not doing a chapter each or anything, we just kind of write a bit, send it, the other writes a bit and so on. It seems to be working so far, we hope. :wink:

Anyway, enjoy and as always please read and review, comments and contructive criticism are always welcome, it only makes us better. :)

Chapter Five

“Ric!” He could hear him calling, hear the footsteps racing towards him but Ric did not look up. He continued instead to punch the fence with his fist, staring out onto the ocean. Watching, he remained fascinated at the surfers riding in on the waves. It was more than a fascination; Ric thought to himself, it was admiration. He admired their movements, their skill and the complete freedom they had out there.

The footsteps had stopped now and Ric automatically stopped punching the fence, but didn’t look up. He could see out of the corner of his eye though, Flynn leaning next to him on the fence, saying nothing.

Eventually Ric could bear the silence no more. “Well?” he looked up, waiting for it to come. The anger, the yelling, the blows.

“Well what?” Flynn asked, turning at last to face him. Ric looked at him, confused. The guy’s face wore an unreadable expression, his eyes emotionless as they flickered from Ric to the surf and then back to Ric again.

Mentally Ric assessed Flynn. He was pretty sure he could take him. The guy was well built and physically fit, his shoulders broad but they weren’t as defined as Ric knew his own were. His muscles weren’t as developed. The guy might have kept physically fit but Ric doubted he’d ever seen any action. Ric sighed with relief, he was pretty sure he was safe on that score if it came to it.

“Aren’t you going to rip at me for losing it with that crazy old bat?” Ric asked, with more confidence now he was sure he could take him if it came to blows.

“Nope. Do you surf Ric?” Flynn asked shortly.

“What?” Once again Ric was caught off guard, his confusion mounting.

“Do you surf?” Flynn repeated, his eyes on the ocean.

“Never had the chance,” Ric replied, almost bitterly. “You?” he added as politely as he could.

“I’ve had the chance but I never took it. Always too busy working.”

“What do you do?” Ric asked curiously; suddenly aware that he knew practically nothing about the guy who had taken he and Cassie in.

“By profession I’m a Doctor. I used to be a Surgeon but I made a mistake and someone died. After that I lost my nerve and moved away from medicine, instead training as a counsellor. It’s only the last few years, living here and being with Sal, that I started to miss it. She convinced me to go back,” he confided.

Ric looked at him in surprise. He had asked the question but had never expected such a big confession in response. Ric couldn’t help but wonder why the guy was telling him this. There had to be a reason. “So you’re working as a Doctor now?”

“Yeah at the hospital but I’m kind of on what we call a bank basis, I only work when they’re short-staffed and want cover, I do a bit of General Practice but I’m not working too much at the moment.”

“Why?” It felt weird to Ric to be asking so many questions; to be allowed to ask so many questions and he half expected the brick wall to build up at any point and the rollicking to come.

“For a couple of reasons really,” Flynn responded “Sal had cancer, not so long ago. It’s why we can’t have kids of our own but it kind of put things into perspective. I realised that as much as I love medicine I love Sal more and I was neglecting her, working all the hours god sent and hardly spending time with her. Also the Caravan Park, it used to be a decent business when Sal was growing up or so she’s told me, but it’s a bit of a ruin at the moment. I’d like to build it back up again. The there is you and Cassie.”

“Us two?” Ric’s head was still spinning from the revelations. Sally had been sick, and Ric knew cancer was a pretty big deal. It must have sucked that they couldn’t have kids because of it. Ric felt a strange sympathy for the giggling woman he had encountered earlier and more of an understanding towards the hard, cold woman who never seemed to genuinely smile. Yet Flynn loved her so much and Flynn was an okay guy so she couldn’t be all that bad, Ric concluded.

“Yeah, we applied to be foster carers and got accepted. We knew we’d be getting teenagers, kids at school so it made sense for Sal to keep on her job; she’d still be able to spend time with you but I wouldn’t, not working all the time, so I cut down. We’re okay money wise, we can live easily enough on what we have put away, on Sal’s wage and the bits I bring in and the Caravan Park. So there really wasn’t any need for me to be working all the time.”

“Why did you know you’d be getting teenagers?” Ric queried, “Most foster families I’ve been with want the little kids. Everyone is always gutted when they get landed with Cass and me. We’re not supposed to notice, but Cass has a keen eye for picking up those things. How did you know you’d get teenagers?” Ric asked.

“We asked for teenagers,” Flynn replied, simply. Ric let out a breath he didn’t even realise he’d been holding and was almost surprised to see that his fingers had been curled into a fist.

“Why would you want teenagers?” he asked, confused and not quite believing the guy. No foster family really wanted teenagers.

“I told you, I worked as a counsellor. It was in a drop in centre where saw a lot of troubled teenagers come through the doors and I always ended up wanting to take them home, give them a proper family. Sal was the same, she wanted to help kids, the way her foster mum Pippa did. The Caravan Park house is built for kids, Sally’s always said that.”

“Sally was a foster kid?” Ric asked in disbelief. Flynn nodded.

“Yep. That’s what all the photos on the walls in the Caravan Park house are; Sal’s foster brothers and sisters. Pippa took in a lot of foster children. She lost two husbands but never stopped taking in the children. She’s a great woman and Sally just wanted to give kids a chance the way Pippa did,” Flynn explained.

“So you really, genuinely wanted teenagers? You didn’t mind that you might get teenagers with problems?” Ric knew he was repeating himself but he wanted to ask, needed to ask.

“That was what we wanted, what we requested and in answer to that question you can’t quite say, we’re not in any way disappointed with you and Cassie. Quite the opposite.” Ric couldn’t speak; he could only look at Flynn in shock. Nobody had ever been so honest with him before, nobody had ever trusted him with such important secrets, or more importantly, nobody had ever actually said they wanted him. But this guy had. This guy wasn’t disappointed in him.

“Even though I lost my temper with that old woman? Are you not going to shout at me?” Ric had to ask.

“Well obviously I’d prefer you not to lose your temper, but Colleen would try the patience of a saint. Sal and I have known her for many years and yes she’s a pain but she also has a very big heart, which is why we tend to forgive her faults and roll our eyes when she goes on. You’re right when you say you shouldn’t have lost your temper with her but you know that and god knows I understand. What would be the point in shouting at you over it?”

Ric didn’t respond. He couldn’t, he didn’t know what to say. Instead he looked back out at the ocean, at the surfers and for the first time in a long time Ric felt the same freedom they must feel out there on the boards. He watched intently as the surfer he had been watching headed back onto the beach, unclipped his board and began to carry it up the beach.

“So did you want to learn to surf?” Flynn asked suddenly.

Ric didn’t look at him, instead he took his time and gave an honest answer. “Not until I moved here but watching them, it looks so…” Ric was stuck for the right words to say but Flynn was nodding. The surfer was approaching them now, heading in their direction. He was taller and slighter than Flynn but like Flynn he was physically fit, with blonde hair. Only as he approached Ric thought he was younger than he had appeared at first glance.

“Nice out there?” Flynn asked as he approached.

“Spot on mate,” he replied smiling. He nodded in Ric’s direction.

“Ric this is Kim Hyde, a friend of mine.” Flynn introduced the blonde in front of them. “Kim this is Ric. He’s going to be living with Sally and I from now on.” Kim leaned over to shake Ric’s hand, his smile genuine and Ric returned the handshake firmly. He liked that Flynn hadn’t called him a foster kid, just said that he was living with him and Sally and from now on. That sounded pretty long term to Ric.

“I was hoping to speak to you actually Kim, Ric and I want to take surfing lessons. Can we book them with you?” Ric had been miles away, in his own happy thoughts but looked up on hearing his name.

“Finally getting you out there hey Flynn? You must be a good influence,” Kim smiled at Ric but Ric was too busy looking at Flynn in shock to respond. “I’m sure we can figure something out. How about you come down the gym tomorrow, say about four and we’ll get you both going with the basics?” Kim suggested.

“Sounds great, I’ll be looking forward to it. See you tomorrow mate.” Kim said goodbye to them both and headed off in the direction of the building behind them. Flynn turned to look at Ric. “That all okay with you?” he asked. Ric simply nodded, unable to speak.

“Shall we go back and find the girls then?” Flynn suggested, smiling at him. Ric nodded again dumbly, still too shocked to speak. Finally he managed a smile as the two of them headed in the direction of the Diner.

-

-

Ric’s mood instantly dampened as he and Flynn reached the diner to see Sally and Cassie glaring down the table at one another, as Colleen put their food silently on the table before scurrying off as quickly as possible.

“Uh oh,” Flynn whispered from behind Ric as the two males approached the table apprehensively.

“Hey, honey,” Flynn murmured as he sat down next to Sally, kissing her on the cheek.

“Flynn,” She said through clenched teeth. “We need to get this eaten quickly so that we can get Ric and Cassie fitted for uniforms. Irene’s just finished her shift and she was going to change and then come round to our house, we don’t want to keep her waiting.” Her voice remained even, but her eyes revealed her annoyance to Ric. He turned to look at Cassie only to catch her eye roll, as she pushed herself up from the table. “Whatever. I’m done, I’ll wait outside.” She spat down at Sally, who nodded primly and also stood from the table.

“I’ll go get the bill while you two finish those, just don’t take too long.” Sally gestured at the overflowing plates Colleen had left for Flynn and Ric as she stood up and headed towards the counter.

“What was that about?” Flynn shook his head and threw Ric a shrug as if to say ‘women, what can you do?’ and began tucking into his food. Following his example Ric began eating his burger but somehow it seemed to have lost its flavour. The two women had been getting on so well, and Ric was baffled as to what was behind the sudden change.

“Do you know, I’m really not that hungry anymore,” Flynn admitted after a few minutes. He sat back in his seat and pushed his plate away slightly. Ric noted however that despite being ‘not hungry’ he had managed to consume most of his burger and a handful of fries.

“No me neither,” Ric admitted, forcing a last mouthful of burger into his mouth and looking up at the older man. Flynn now looked troubled; the relaxed, easygoing guy had disappeared. Worry lines knitted across his forehead and his eyes darted anxiously across the Diner to the kitchen cubbyhole where Ric could see Sally, in deep conversation with a young, dark haired woman.

“I’ll go see if Sal’s ready, do you want to go grab Cassie?” Flynn suggested and Ric nodded.

“Thanks Flynn, for the meal and the stuff before, you know.” Ric’s words came out rushed and to his own mind his voice sounded gruff and hard and he felt his cheeks blush furiously. He had never been good at showing gratitude but Flynn placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him, an understanding smile that told Ric he had managed to get his message across.

“No worries.” He strode off towards the counter and Ric took his chance to head out after Cassie.

She was not difficult to find. Slouched with her head in her hands, her back to him. To an outsider she looked like a casual observer, leaning over the fence and watching the people walk by. Ric though, was not an outsider and he knew Cassie’s moods as well as he knew his own. In a quick glance he took in the firm, set shoulders and the nervous way she kicked her feet angrily against the sand. Approaching her, Ric grabbed Cassie’s elbow and pulled her round to face him.

“What the hell?” He swore. “What happened?”

Wrenching her elbow from his grasp, she turned her glare on him. “The stupid cow, that’s what happened,” Cassie whispered harshly. “She wouldn’t let me go after you. She doesn’t understand us Ric. She’s not going to try to understand us,” Her voice cracked a little, her eyes darted away from his, and instantly he knew she was hiding.

“Please Ric, I know I said I’d try, but, but,” Cassie stuttered, as Ric heard footsteps behind them and turned to face Flynn.

“Come on guys,” He said warmly, earning a smile from Ric, “We better get going, I don’t want to keep Sal waiting.”

Cassie looked at Ric panicky, as he simply shrugged his shoulders. She snorted in annoyance as she stormed away, in the direction Sally had already headed, leaving behind a bewildered Flynn and angry Ric.

Archived