Neighbours....noooooooo

Guest alexx

Why do you always have to make a comparison to H&A? This is the Neighbours forum, stop talking about H&A.

I like Carmila too. I really didn’t like Conner. Todie can be a good character but some of the storylines they have given him in the past have been dreadful.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with all the bashing? I like Neighbours the way it is. They have the guts to do and say things that H&A would never do, like, I don't know, have some FUN once in a while!

Yes, it's slow paced. Yes, they're not always running off and threatening to kill each other every 5 seconds. Yes, every episode doesn't end with a life hanging in the balance, but so what? I hate to break it to you people, but some people DO have lives like this, where nothing much happens and you make a joke-a-second to make things more interesting.

Neighbours is one of the funniest things on TV at the moment, and why should that be a bad thing? Just because they know how to write and perform comedy doesn't mean they can't deliver a meaningful storyline when they have to. I think the actors are brilliant and can do anything they set their minds to. Ditto the writers. Heaven forefend they should cut through the treacle and tension with a joke or two.

Neighbours has always been heavy on the comical side of things, and I love that aspect of the show. That isn’t what I don’t like about Neighbours, either is it because its slow-paced (I like that), I also don’t like huge cliff-hangers every episode. Neighbour’s isn’t H&A, just as H&A isn’t Neighbours, they are completely different shows with completely different styles in direction and writing.... But I was never comparing the two shows anyway, this isnt supposed to be a 'H&A vs Neighbours' topic.

For me, I simply lost interest, and when someone looses interest in a show they've been watching religiously for 20 years, it has to be due to something. And I think (as I've mentioned before) its because of the huge cast over-haul, introduction to the kinda characters I'm not keen on, and unfortunately for me, the type of characters I don’t really care about are over half the cast now. (all the new 20-somethings, I normally really like 20-something characters, but I’m not keen on the vibe these new ones bring...it seems very 'trendy and 'Chapel Street (MElb)' and influenced by overseas IMO.

I do like the mum-Timmins for comedy, she has some great lines and comical scenes such as Friday's episode, I laughed out-loud at some of her scenes...the one especially with her and the cop when he asked her to go pig shooting with her...'thought you'd never ask' haha.. :D

All in all, I know shows have to move on and change format, but I really don’t like the format Neighbours has 'become' in the last 12 months, the music, the sets, the trendy-teeny-bopper cast...I think they are purposely aiming the show towards a particularly younger audience now, when they used to aim at such a wider-range, and it worked...there was a high percentage of audience that were adults as well as teens.

While I agree with Alexx's opinion on how the show has changed, I don't believe this only happened in the last 12 months. While the changes may have been more superficially obvious in the past year (new sets etc) I think the show stopped being aimed at a wide audience (teens and adults) a long long time ago.

While I agree with Alexx's opinion on how the show has changed, I don't believe this only happened in the last 12 months. While the changes may have been more superficially obvious in the past year (new sets etc) I think the show stopped being aimed at a wide audience (teens and adults) a long long time ago.

I think it started becoming more predominately aimed towards the younger audience around 2003 - when Jack, Nina, Taj...etc all entered and became the focus, or 2002 or whatever it was. However, it’s become so obvious the last couple of years and I totally went off it in 2005.

Though if you compare 2001 to say 1993/ 1994 the change is remarkably noticeable in who they were aiming at in regards to the audience demographics. So you could say it changed dramatically around that time.

I am really disappointed with Neighbours.

The storylines are quite pathetic. I know that Neighbours has always maintained comedic storylines, but lately it is becoming so predictable. I think the major problem is the characters.

There are only a handful of characters that I like, and it has a lot to do with the sub standard writing and acting. This is in great contrast to the other Australian soap on weekday nights. I honestly dont know what Channel Ten is planning to do with the show, the ratings must be a concern, but then again its Channel Ten so my expectations are not very high. I will continue to watch Neighbours, partly because nothing else is on at that time, and also because there actually one or two decent storylines and episodes every now and then.

Archived