Heartbreak High!

Guest The Cure

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 5 seasons?I always thought there were more.Maybe I watched repeats or something when I was younger.Drazic was my favourite so I hope they release the whole series.It annoys me when they release one or two then stop.I fail to see the point in that.

Yeah from 1994-1999. It would have gone on into 2000 but the BBC, who were paying half the production costs in the later years decided not to commission new episodes because they had a back log of episodes that hadn't been broadcast over there yet. So the ABC couldn't afford to produce more episodes without their support. As far as I've read, an entire season was written for the year 2000 and they were all ready to start filming when the call came from the BBC - had they filmed it would would have been Series 6. I wonder what happened to all the characters.

I think its a real shame it was axed but in a way I'm glad that it ended on a high and still on top form - it hadn't been transformed into a new show with a new direction and trendy/boring characters - it was still about earthy, arty and kooky inner-city teens when it wrapped - its a pure 1990's series. I also loved how it was shot on film and had a real 'quality' look and feel about it.

I agree, its frustrating when they release 1 or 2 seasons and not the rest. I'm so sure these will be popular though because Aussie's loved it back then and there is still a huge following over in France and the UK - they're sure to sell.

I always thought for sure that only the first two or so seasons of The Flying Doctors would be released on DVD, but despite selling figures being 'average' they continued to release the entire series from start to finish.

I can understand it I suppose if its a TV series that has been around for decades, like if they release a soap that has 5 episode per week and has been on for years and years. But when its a once per week drama lasting 5-10 years I don't understand why they can't just release all seasons.

As far as I'm aware All Saints has now been released from start to finish, which is great. I haven't bought any of them since I recorded a lot when they did the reruns, but I imagine I will some time in the future. I'd also like to buy The Bill on DVD, but I don't think that will ever be released on DVD in its entirety.

So are you guys going to be buying the Heartbreak High Season One Box Set next week? If so, I'd buy directly from Umbrella (the link I posted the other day) - its the cheapest I've seen around. Places like Sanity are selling it for almost $80 - compared to Umbrella's $50-something.

I'll get it but not for a few weeks so it goes down in price.Same as Winners And Losers which is $60 atm.It's been ages since i've seen a tv season that expensive.I got the latest season of GG for $40 a few weeks ago so i don't know why W&L is so expensive.

Why are Australian TV series on DVD for expensive than the American ones its ridiclious. I got Winners and Losers from Sanity for $50 but at Target it was $65 and at Big W it was $57. I think I'll wait for Heartbreak High to come down in price as well. I remember when the McLeods Daughters DVDs come out they were like $100. Now I think they are much cheaper if you can find them

Yeah I usually wait a few months before buying so the price goes down too. But with HBH I'm tempted to just buy next week.

Its just greed really, taking advantage of the hype in terms of a TV drama that is really popular (Packed to the Rafters)- or the box set release of a series that is old or less popular, they have the costs up high because they want to make a profit and aren't sure if the DVD's are going to sell.

I always try and buy from e-bay because more often than not you can buy DVD's at substantially discounted prices compared to going in store to buy. This is because most of the time the 'middle man' is cut out. If you buy from a store like JB HiFi, they mark up the prices to whatever they want.

For example, they'll buy the series in bulk for say... $5-$10 per season/box set and then add on GST and include their own store mark up price ranging from $30-$100 - whatever they think they can get away with - and people will buy because its more convenient to just go in and get it then and there rather than order online and wait for it to be delivered. Also most of the general public arent aware of how much they could be saving online.

Its expensive in the UK too I've noticed. DVDs are all cheaper in the US, there is more competition and there are more sellers over there since the population is so large. I bought the X Files entire series online from a US store - in Australia the cheapest I saw was around $180-$200+ for all 9 seasons including the film. I bought it for $65 US dollars (about $57 AU) with free shipping. It arrived 5 days later. Such a huge saving. Especially when you consider they are selling each season separately over here for around $28.99!!!

Archived