Current Episodes In Ireland

Guest gryphons_halo

I haven't really been able to post anything of much substance in the forum lately, due to work commitments and lack of time etc, etc, but recently I've been enjoying the show so much that I thought I'd write down a few of my thoughts on current episodes and give a general review of what I am seeing/liking right now.

Have to say I'm really enjoying all of the storylines running in the show at the moment, I think it's probably one of the best collection of plots I've seen in it for a long time. They've managed to get just about every character involved in a major story with very few being relegated to background status, which I think is great.

Irene's storyline is brilliant, very well written and acted and developing at a nice steady pace. Love the way it started small but has gradually gotten more serious. The appearance of Chloe was just genius, my heart was racing as I watched it. The look on Irene's face as she was both confused and terrified at the same time was perfect. Of course I know how it's all going to pan out having kept up with Australian discussion, but the way they are handling it at the moment is very clever, no hints at all as to the twist that is to come.

The Flynn/cancer story is excellent storytelling and acting also. The scenes between Kate and Joel have me choking up nearly every episode. Brilliant support from Ric and Cassie too in this, who also have a major role in the story. And they've brought Colleen into it as well, which has only made it more interesting (the fact they have incorporated Colleen into the Irene story as well is great, she is the kind of character who, while not often having her own individual storyline to take centre stage in, can effortlessly and perfectly overlap into all the other storylines occurring around her, and add something different to them all.)

I'm also really enjoying the whole Amanda/Josh/project 56/Alf/mayoral run/fraud etc storyline – there's so many layers and levels to this and so many sub-plots attached, its like a cancer itself that has spread its tendrils throughout the whole show and taken it over. Morag's involvement adds that touch of class it does to every story she is involved with. Alf has always been at his best when he's got an adversary to be bolshy and blustery with, something he hasn't had for a while. Josh is brilliant – utterly cheesy and camp as hell but deliberately so, and Daniel plays it brilliantly. I don't have any problem with Amanda either. Holly Brisley might not be the best actress in the show, but she doesn't have to be, the character of Amanda is what it is and she doesn't need to do any more to bring her to life. I for one am quite happy with the way she is portraying what is essentially a pretty one-dimensional character. As of yet there isn't much complexity to Amanda's personality, so I find her acting sufficient. And yes while one-dimensional characters are generally dismissed as being bland and uninteresting, they can also be just plain and simple FUN, and it's still okay to have fun every now and then. Home and Away used to have a lot of one-dimensional fun baddies in the past, it was something I enjoyed but something that was pushed out of the show, in favour of more complex, "deeper" characters who weren't just black or white but rather something in between. This is all well and good, and fine in its place, but for a character who is simply there to be a "baddie" and to stir things up somewhat, I don't see what more you need than someone like a Josh or an Amanda or a Dodge, to pick an example of an older one-dimensional character. If Dan Bennett wants to reintroduce this trend of having a bad guy without the internal struggles and moral conflicts that colour him or her grey rather than black, then that's just fine with me, he can bring them on by the bucketload.

Amanda's involvement in Dan's life has also made him and Leah more interesting and given them something to be involved in. Ryan as a recurring character showing up Amanda as a bad mother and Dan having to pick up the pieces, while Leah has no choice but to tolerate Amanda in her life, is good to see developing too.

I'm even, I have to say, enjoying the much maligned Scott-Hayley-Kim storyline. While I was keeping up with the discussion in the Aussie forum all I was hearing was how bad and drawn out it was, too many twists, too many coincidences, etc, etc. That's as maybe but still I find it makes for fun viewing. Some of the coincidences were a little bit TOO coincidental of course (Dr. Free's death was ridiculous), but suspension of disbelief is a pre-requisite for a show like this so I'm not too bothered. I like that this storyline gives Amanda something else to do on the side from the Josh thing, and I like that the characters involved remain consistent to their pre-established nature. It's a real tragedy for Kim, knowing what is eventually going to be revealed, and its fun to watch Scott and Hayley pining for each other but constantly being kept apart by one twist after another. It might be a light storyline but it gives these three characters something major to be a part of rather than to just be in the background of someone else's storyline. This is what I like, for all characters to have their own plots to be involved in, rather than just tagging along on someone else's ride, so any story that does this for any character is good in my book, even if it is this kind of romance will they-won't they kind of thing.

Jack-Martha-Corey is interesting to watch too, especially since that storyline is intertwined with the Alf-Josh thing and will later stretch out into one of the other current storylines. Martha is growing on me quite well, having taken a while to warm up, in my opinion. And Jack is by far the most interesting of his family.

The only characters at the moment that don't have anything of their own going on in the show, and who I consequently am not enjoying, are Tony, Beth, Barry, Robbie, Tasha, Lucas and Matilda. I haven't taken to Tony at all as he really hasn't had anything of his own to do and has only been a background character as such. Beth seems to be losing her way lately, not really having any input into anything. I was a bit annoyed the way Kit's most recent appearance here ended, it didn't seem right that Beth would doubt her word about the drinking. Beth was supposed to, I think, become the new matriarchal centrepiece of the show, I got the impression she could have been like a Pippa-type character, but it hasn't really worked out that way and she doesn't seem to have any real direction, in episodes I am watching now. I would say the same about Barry Hyde, he seems to be just drifting at the moment, since the split with Irene, and doesn't seem to have much reason to be around. This is where it may have been a better idea to leave him in the "temporary guest" status he enjoyed for his first year on the show, and like Morag enjoys now. At that point he was coming and going only when storylines were available for him to be part of. Now he's a permanent fixture he can go months of just lurking in the background before anything interesting comes along for him to do, and I feel the character is suffering as a result. He is no longer as interesting, now that he is there all the time and mostly doing nothing. Lucas is another one I don't "get" yet. He, too, hasn't really had any major storylines, just all this stuff with Matty, which isn't exactly riveting. Teenage romance stories never do anything for me anyway. He's also a bit too "cute" for my liking, but hopefully he'll get some showcase storylines soon and he will grow on me. Robbie and Tasha are a bit boring at the moment but I know there is some great stuff coming up for them so I'm not too worried.

All in all I've found myself enjoying the show quite a lot in recent weeks, thanks in main to the large storylines that have given just about every member of the cast something unique to do. I like a "busy" show with lots of things going on at the same time, and its delivering that in spades at the moment. Hopefully it will continue in this vein going into the future, because its making the show a lot more fun to watch, more fun than its been in a long, long time.

Just my two cents worth! Any fellow Irish/British viewers who are at the same point in the show as me feel free to add any additional insights you might have!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also truely enjoying Home and Away in Ireland at the mo!

I have to say Irene's storyline is just brilliant. Loved the scene where Irene comes home and finds Chloe making dinner, Irene's facial expressions and grunts / noises were classic. Have to say this storyline is getting better and better. My heart when Chloe kept appearing from different sides of the room! I knew it was coming...but still...I was so scared for Irene, I felt I was in the room with her.

The Kim / Hayley / Scott / Hayley Storyline is actually growing on me, and I'm really starting to feel for Kim.

I also feel for Amanda sometimes, when she was telling Scott about her pregnancy when she was 14yrs old and then miscarraiging must have been really hard for her. I find Hayley selfish, I know she's confused, but really, stringing Kim along all this time. Loved the way "Will" had those talks with her. He's looking great!

I just love Corey! He's such a looker and not bad at acting either, he makes the Martha scenes more bearable. I used to love the character of Martha, but now she moans and screams and acts like Dani, esp to Jack when "Granddad" was arrested! Oh put a sock in it Mac!

The Flynn Cancer Storyline is just superb. When Sally gets going, I find myself choking up with her, she has that affect on me! Flynn is out shining himself also... Sick of Cassie now...Bring on Belle!

Tasha / Robbie / Beth / Tony / Josh = YAWN FEST!

Colleen, the little gem! What would I do with out her, she cracks me up in every episode, even if it's just her facial expressions! Love her!

Matilda & Lucas are just so boring and I've no feelings for them, infact if they were both killed off in a freak storm, I don't think I'd miss them. Matilda was better single, and Lucas needs to be more darker, I'm sick of his "good boy" routine! Those cheeky smiles can be a bit too much for me!

That's my euro's worth! :wink:

I have to say Irene's storyline is just brilliant. Loved the scene where Irene comes home and finds Chloe making dinner, Irene's facial expressions and grunts / noises were classic. Have to say this storyline is getting better and better. My heart when Chloe kept appearing from different sides of the room! I knew it was coming...but still...I was so scared for Irene, I felt I was in the room with her.

That scene was spooky but I think it was needed. I think it would have worked even better if it had been Ken who had greeted her.

Matilda & Lucas are just so boring and I've no feelings for them, infact if they were both killed off in a freak storm, I don't think I'd miss them. Matilda was better single, and Lucas needs to be more darker, I'm sick of his "good boy" routine! Those cheeky smiles can be a bit too much for me!

I am hoping that they do have storylines for Lucas and that they do give him a dark side but I can't say I hate those cheeky grins. The grin could light up a room I tell ya.

Archived