Summer Bay 2017

Guest Shane&Angel4Eva

Pippa was sitting at the table thinking about the fight she had just had. It made her furious, the way she was always being told what to do, and how to live her life. She was in love, and that wouldn’t change, no matter what people said.

Sally walked down the stairs and sat down next to her daughter. She knew Pippa was angry, but she also knew that she knew what was best for her daughter.

“Honey, I can’t let you see go out with VJ anymore. He is too old for you, and besides that he is having some trouble at the moment, and it would be better for you to keep out of it.”

Pippa jumped up, knocking the chair to the floor as she did. “You can’t stop me mum, I love him and we are going to be together forever” she screamed as she ran for the door, tears flooding down her cheeks.

Sally sighed. It wasn’t easy being the mother of a teenage daughter. And it pained her that the object of her daughter’s affection was in fact her best friend’s son. That didn’t change the fact that he was a little trouble maker with some serious problems.

She recognised the stubbornness in her daughter though. It was clear to see she took after her father. The thought brought a smile to her face. Flynn would have been so proud of Pippa. All the things Sally feared would get Pippa into trouble, he would have admired and encouraged; her independence, her strength, her passion and her fearlessness.

She would have to deal with it later, right now she had a five year old to deal with “Mummy, when will daddy he home from work?”

……………………….

Meanwhile, Leah was dealing with her own child’s teenage angst. VJ had just not been himself lately, and something needed to change. He was lacking a father figure, and she knew it. It wasn’t like she hadn’t tried to fill the void in his life – she had been married three times since his father, but it was never right – nothing felt like the love she had for her first husband.

Which is why the letter on the table filled her with so much joy, hope and also fear. It was from her long lost husband. Last she knew he had gone into witness protection program and could never contact her again. That was over 12 years ago. She picked up the letter and read it again, savouring every word.

My dearest Leah,

I was going to come straight back to the Bay and see you, but I thought that wouldn’t be fair. I know you are still there, as I saw the review for your new restaurant in the City paper. Congratulations by the way. Sorry, I have gotten off track – but I am proud of you.

You see, I am free – I am Vinnie Patterson again. After I testified against that guy from Prison he thought I died, hence why Vinnie couldn’t live, as you know. But now he has died, and the entire group has been infiltrated by the police, effectively ceasing its existence. Sure, there are a few die-hards that still linger, but their vengeance is aimed now towards the people that killed him, and they have all but forgotten about me. I was contacted by the police and told I could have my old life back, if I want – because it is safe to be me again.

I don’t know if I am doing the right thing contacting you. I know you have moved on with your life, and all I ever wanted was for you to be happy. It is just that even though we haven’t been together for over a decade, I have thought of you and little VJ everyday. You are in my mind, you are in my heart, and you are in my soul.

I will always love you, and if you still feel anything please contact me. I will move back to the Bay in a flash to be with you. I know it won’t be easy, especially explaining it all to VJ, and I am sure he struggles with why he has no father. But I hope you tell him I love him, and that I never meant to leave you two. You were my world. I know this is so much to take in, so take your time deciding my darling.

So my dear Leah, please let me know. If I don’t hear from you I will take it you want nothing to do with me, and I will leave you alone.

All my love, always,

Vinnie xxx

She folded the letter and held it against her heart. Although the years had passed, the love had not. She once made the choice to not go into witness protection with Vinnie, as she thought it was best for VJ that they stay in the Bay and have a stable, normal life with Dan. Well that didn’t go to plan, and now VJ needed his dad more than ever. She has regretted that decision for a long time, but Peter made it clear when she changed her mind after her and Dan split that it was too late.

The dreams she once had for her life had turned into one big long nightmare.. But truth be told, she didn’t know if she had the courage to contact Vinnie. Dreams were one thing – but real life? That was a completely different story! She needed some advice. She picked up her mobile and called her good friend Tasha.

To be continued…

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. Here is the next installment. Sorry I can't write much at once, I don't have enough time.

As she walked amongst the trees in the park grounds, Pippa thought about running away. Her thoughts drifted into a dream about escaping with VJ, going somewhere where no-one could find them, and they would live happily ever after…after all that is what Mr and Mrs Phillips did right, and everything worked out for them. She jolted back to reality as she saw a shadow pass by a large tree. She could have sworn it was human, but now she was doubting her own eyes because there was no more movement and the air was silent.

“Anyone there?” She yelled out casually, thinking it might be one of the local kids playing. “You know you aren’t allowed to play out here, go home!” she called out again, and went on her way, the mysterious shadow fading from her mind as she again dreamed of a magical world where her and VJ could be left alone…

…………………………………

Back inside the house Sally was busy organising lunch. “What shall we have today kids? Vegemite?” Three little voices chipped up in unison “Yucko, no way!”. Sally laughed, she knew the triplets hated Vegemite, but their reaction to her asking made them all giggle.

She looked at her small boys and her heart melted. They were very handsome boys, similar in many ways, though not identical. It had been a hard job naming all three, she wanted to honour her deceased husband, and also remember important men that had passed through her life.

So there they were, her three very special little boys; Flynn, Thomas and Michael. She hoped that one day they would understand the significance of their names, and how the namesakes helped shape her life, and make her what she was today.

She smiled as she thought of the boys’ father, her husband. She knew he wanted to name one of the boys after himself, but in his selfless love for her, he stayed quiet and let her choose. She promised herself that their next child, boy or girl would be named after him. She patted her bulging stomach and knew that it wouldn’t be long now until they found out which.

………………………………………….

VJ smashed the empty coke bottle on the footpath. It shattered into a hundred pieces. He knew he shouldn’t have done it, but he was angry, and it made him feel better. His thoughts were racing through the events of the morning just passed. First his mother had acted strangely at breakfast, wasn’t doing her normal lecture to him, she was very distracted, which should have been a good thing, but all it did was make him feel uneasy.

Then he met his girlfriend Pippa at the beach. They weren’t meant to see each other, but he loved her and didn’t want to be away from her. She was younger than him, but he had loved her since he could remember. They grew up together, their mums were very close. It was never like brother and sister though, he had thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world forever.

Sally had come down to the beach with the triplets, and had caught them kissing. She told Pippa to go straight home, then turned to him. “I know you think you love her, but if you really did, you would leave her alone. Pippa is too young for a boyfriend, and she doesn’t need to be lead astray” she said, in a calm yet stern voice. No wonder she was the principal of the school. “You know I care for you, but I care for Pippa too, and while you are getting into so much trouble I think it best that you don’t come around anymore” With that she turned the pram around, and walked off.

He bent over and picked up what was left of the neck of the bottle and pegged it across the road. It actually bounced on the tarmac, and flew up to shatter the driver’s window of the car parked on the opposite side of the street.

“Oh sh*t” he muttered, as he quickly ran away. Not quick enough though to escape the view of Colleen who had just come scooting around the corner on her new gopher. Her hips might be failing her, but her eyesite was as sharp as ever (especially with her new glasses)!

Archived