Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great, Kat, and love the way you took us to all those different scenes during the explosion:

In Leah’s house a relieved Dan continued to pack his things while Sutty waited on the phone to be put through to Kane.

In the Diner Kirsty glanced nervously at the clock, then at Irene and then back at the clock.

In the Bank Peter raced at the speed of light through numerous security doors in an attempt to reach the Back offices.

Back down the block Jesse thumped the walls in frustration and worry, had he been too late?

In the Back offices Jack exchanged a look with Robbie and checked his watch anxiously as he watched Kane and Mr Shaw.

Brilliant cliffhanger! :)

The aftermath... this storyline still has plenty more drama left to come.

Thanks to everyone for reading and reviewing. Please let me know if you're still enjoing this or if you're bored already. Thanks Jess for proofing.xx

SIXTY TWO

“The line went dead.” Sutty hurriedly put the phone down and then tried to ring again.

“What?” Dan was still busily packing his things and not really paying attention.

“The line’s gone down, there was like a huge bang and then the line just went dead.”

“A huge bang?” Dan raised an eyebrow and rolled his eyes to suggest that he thought Sutty was making a big deal over nothing.

“It was an explosion Dan! I’m sure of it.”

“Nah, we warned Peter. You’re imagining things mate.”

“I’m not. What if Peter didn’t get the message through in time? Dan it’s dot on the hour, I hear a bang and the line goes dead. Co-incidence? I don’t think so.”

“You’re saying the bomb went off?” realisation was dawning on Dan and he looked at Sutty, his eyes wide with fear.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.” Dan was reaching for his phone to try the police station, his face a picture of total shock but there was no answer.

“That’s not a good sign. Do you think Peter’s okay?”

“I don’t know. It’s not just Peter though, Kane’ll be at that bank and that police officer, the one I smacked last night.”

“Jack? Oh God Sut this is awful! What do we do?” Dan looked like a little boy caught behind the glare of headlights, begging for answers.

“Lets go down there. At least we can find out what’s happened and if it has gone off we might be able to help,” Sutty suggested.

“Yeah good idea.” Dan grabbed his car keys and the two men raced out of the door.

“Shouldn’t I have heard from him by now?” Kirsty gently stroked Matthew’s sleeping face in an attempt to ease some of the frustration she felt.

“Come on darl, be reasonable, he’ll only just have collected the money. There’s still the transfer to go yet. Stop getting yourself all worked up,” Irene cautioned.

“It’s kind of hard though. Why do things never go right for me and Kane? I’m beginning to think someone’s punishing us,” Kirsty remarked.

“What in blazes would anyone want to punish you for?”

“For Dani, what Kane did, me betraying her. We do seem to have permanent bad luck.”

“What a load of piffle. You and Kane have paid twice over for yer mistakes and besides there’s plenty of stuff gone right for you. Matthew for one,” Irene told her.

“I guess.” Kirsty could not resist a smile as she looked at her son. “I’m just worrying over nothing I guess. Peter said it’d be routine,” Kirsty replied.

“I wouldn’t believe a thing Peter says.” Kirsty and Irene looked up, “sorry I wasn’t eavesdropping, I only heard that last line, ignore me I’m a bit frustrated.”

“It’s okay, sit down darl,” Irene urged, Kirsty nodded.

“Are you alright?” Kirsty asked, noticing that Angel’s face was pale and drawn, her hair was scraped back into a messy ponytail as if she had not been bothered with it.

“Just frustrated I guess, it’s nothing.”

“No come on girlie, spill the beans. Is it Peter?”

“Yeah, I thought we were friends but then he does stuff that I just can’t understand,” Angel admitted.

“Is this about Leah and Dan?” Kirsty whispered, “Kane let Dan stay at our place last night, he and Leah had a huge fight after you’d gone.”

“Really?” Angel was surprised, Peter hadn’t mentioned any fight when he had come the beach looking for her.

“Yeah apparently Leah and Peter have been carrying on,” Kirsty imparted.

“Now you don’t know your facts girlie so be very careful what you’re saying,” Irene cautioned.

“That was what Angel was talking about though, wasn’t it?” Kirsty asked.

“Yeah, of course it was,” Angel added, quickly. She wasn’t ready to talk about her pregnancy yet, not even with Irene who was looking at her suspiciously

“Was it a good party?” Angel asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah if you don’t count the fact that Martha got drunk, threw herself at Sutty and Jack got drunk and kicked off on Sutty,” Kirsty explained.

“Krsty!” Irene warned and Kirsty went silent as she realised a frowning Tasha was watching her. Tasha shot Kirsty a look and then headed over to where Beth and Sally sat.

“Good one big gob,” Angel teased.

“It was the truth though,” Krsty protested as Irene shook her head at her. As much as she thought Kirtsy was wrong for talking about other people in such a way, she was more relieved that Kirsty was no longer worrying about Kane.

“I’ll make us all a fresh coffee hey? Irene suggested, standing up.

“Hey sweetie,” Beth greeted Tasha as she took a seat opposite them.

“Hi Beth,” Tasha replied, unable to keep the huge grin that was spread over her face.

“Someone looks happy,” Sally remarked.

“Have you spoke to Robbie today?” Tasha asked.

“No he was starting his new job this morning.”

“I know, I saw him on his way in.” Tasha was still grinning.

“Wait a minute. Are you guys back on again?” Tasha nodded.

“Oh sweetheart that’s wonderful news!”

“Congratulations Tasha, I’m sure you’ll be great this time,” Sally told her with a gentle smile.

“Thanks. Beth I know I treated Robbie badly but I promise I’m never going to hurt him again. I missed him so much,” Tasha explained.

“I know sweets, no-one blames you. The Believers had you brainwashed, it wasn’t your fault. I’m delighted you and Robbie are good again.”

“Thanks.” Tasha stood up to give Beth a hug.

“Well it seems like things are looking up then,” Beth remarked.

“For you maybe. What am I going to do with Cassie? Obviously nothing I said last night penetrated.”

“I’m sure she’ll cme round Sal, Cassie’s not a bad kid.”

“What’s Cassie done?” Tasha wanted to know. Sally sighed.

“She’s just being a teenager I guess but she seems to really hate me right now.”

“She’ll come round,” Beth reassured her but Sally was unconvinced.

“Leah I’ve tracked them down!” Rachel raced into the kitchen of the Diner.

“Really, where are they?”

“At yours, they stayed in Kane’s house last night. Kirsty just mentioned it then.”

“Oh brilliant. Are you going down to speak to them?”

“Yeah I really want to sort things out with Jay.”

“Yeah I need to speak to Dan as well. Irene’s break is nearly over so if you hang on a minute I’ll come down with you,” Leah offered.

“Okay.” Rachel leaned back against the counter to wait for her friend.

“Hello Doctor Armstrong, nice to see you. I was just saying Leah that the party last night…”

“Colleen can you take these to table six please, you can tell me later,” Leah interrupted her. Offended, Colleen bustled out.

“Bit harsh wasn’t it?”

“I just can’t be doing with her right now, I’m stressed enough. What if Dan won’t forgive me?”

“He will, just give him some time,” Rachel urged, “I’m sure once he’s had a chance to think about it…” Rachel was interrupted by the sound of her pager bleeping in her pocket. She took it out and checked it.

“The hospital?” Leah asked.

“Yeah it seems I’m needed. Can I just use your phone?”

“Sure go ahead.” Rachel quickly dialled the hospital and after a hurried, muttered conversation she hung up and turned to Leah.

“There’s been a major incident, an explosion and I’m needed urgently, sorry Leah.”

“No you go, that sounds really awful.”

“Yeah it does doesn’t it? See you later.” Rachel raced from the Diner, nearly knocking Tony over as she did so.

“Tony are you okay? Is it Lucas?” Beth was quick to pick up on the worried expression on his face. Tony reached out for her hand.

“No it’s not Lucas, I just ran into Alf. He’s had a call, they need the search and rescue teams to assemble right away. I’ve come for all volunteers and trained personnel,” he announced to the Diner.

“Why, what’s happened?” Beth wanted to know. The Diner was silent, everyone wanted to know.

“Is it the explosion? Rach was just called into the hospital because there’s been an explosion,” Leah remarked.

“An explosion? Where?” Kirsty was on her feet, frantic.

“Kirsty calm down!” Irene soothed.

“How can I calm down? It has to be!”

“You don’t know anything yet. Tony do you know where the explosion was?” Irene asked.

“I think you need to sit down Beth,” Tony urged.

“Where is it Tony? You’re scaring me!”

“In the Commonwealth Bank, I’m sorry Beth.” Beth sank down to her seat in silence. Next to her, Tasha’s mouth had dropped open.

“That’s where Robbie’s working this morning,” Tasha remarked.

“Lord save us!” Irene exclaimed, “Robbie as well!”

“As well as what?” Tony was quick to turn round and face Irene.

“As well as Kane! We have to get down there!” Kirsty was frantic, tears were streaming down her cheeks. She had known something would happen. She had had a sense of unease, of worry all morning, she had known that Gus was up to something but she had never expected this. It was all her fault, if she hadn’t have encouraged Kane to get back in touch with Gus in the first place none of this would ever have happened. It was all her fault.

“Kirst I think you should leave it to the search teams and the police, Peter and Jack will find him,” Angel soothed, “they’ll find Kane.” Kirsty felt her temper rising, she wanted to scream, to shake them. They had no idea.

“You don’t get it do you? The whole of the Yabbie Creek Police Team are in the bank! They’re all in there, Peter, Jack, all of them!” Kirsty’s anger erupted in a bellow as she lost it in front of the whole Diner. She was shaking and didn’t even notice when Irene put a comforting arm around her shoulders and a cup of sweet tea in front of her.

“What? What did you say?” Tony demanded. His face was now as wjhite as Beth’s as the realisation that his son, as well as hers was in danger.

“The whole of the Police force were in that Bank this morning. Peter was leading an investigation and Jack was pretty heavily involved. I guess it went wrong somewhere along the line,” Kirsty explained, quieter now.

“And how do you know? It might be another bank, they might not even be there,” Leah snapped.

“No Kirsty’s right, it was definitely the Commonwealth,” Irene supplied. “The investigation was about that scumbag father of Kane’s, he was helping the Police.”

“There was a Police Investigation going on and nobody warned Robbie? It was his first day working there!” Beth was furious, her voice was calm and her anger cool but her flashing eyes gave her feelings away. She sank to her seat, defeated.

“Oh my God!” Matilda had burst into tears now, she and Tasha were hugging each other. Leah had picked up the phone and was trying to get in touch with Dan.

“If that’s true we need to go help Alf right away.” Tony was over his initial shock and thinking logically. “Will you be okay?” he asked Beth.

“I’ll keep an eye on her,” Sally offered. Tony nodded and departed the Diner with half a dozen males.

“I’m not staying round here. I’m going down there!” Irene will you mind Matthew?”

“That’s not a good idea girlie,” Irene suggested.

“I don’t care. Don’t try and stop me Irene.” Kirsty’s voice brokered no argument.

“I’ll go with her,” Angel whispered. Her face was ashen on hearing that Peter’s life was in danger. It felt like a bucket of ice had been poured down her back, she felt shivery and sick. Last night Peter had told her he loved her and she had thrown it back in his face. Why hadn’t she just told him she loved him too? Why hadn’t she told him how much he meant to her? Now it was too late. He just had to be alright.

“Me too, Jack and Robbie will probably want someone there for them when they’re done clearing away the explosion.” Beth’s voice was calm again now and Matilda shook her head at her mother. Beth was reacting like she always did, pretending it wasn’t happening, that it was no big deal.

“Mum didn’t you listen to what they just said? They’re in the Bank!” Matilda protested.

“But they’re fine. I’d know if they weren’t. Come on Kirsty, I’m sure Kane’s fine too. And Peter but we’ll go down and see if we can help hey?”

“If you hang on a second I’ll fill some flasks of coffee and juice and we’ll make some sarnies for you to take down to the rescuers.

“That’s a good idea,” Beth said calmly.

“Do you think I care about sandwiches. You can bring them down later, I’m going now. You coming?” Kirsty demanded of Angel. Angel nodded but Kirsty had already exited the Diner so Angel hurriedly followed her.

“McGregor!” The Governor opened the door and Jesse stood up eager for news. “I’m sorry I didn’t believe you earlier.”

“You mean you do now?”

“Yes I do. I’m sorry McGregor, the radio just reported an explosion at the Commonwealth Bank.” The news was imparted in an even voice and Jesse felt like a sledgehammer had just connected with his stomach. He sunk down to his bed and covered his face with his hands.

“Any casualties?” he asked calmly.

“We don’t know yet, I’m sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter anyway. Kane’ll be dead. He was the one opening the box, he’ll have got the full force of the blast. He’ll certainly be dead, maybe Peter Baker too.” Jesse felt like an empty shell, he couldn’t cry, he couldn’t shout, he just felt empty, nothing.

“I’m sorry McGregor.” The Governor really did feel guilty, he had let McGregor down in a big way and people were dead as a result. “You’re to go back to your cell, you’re off restricted.”

“Is that my prize?” Jesse demanded, angrily. “Haven’t I been good.”

“You’re free to head back now. Officer Rice will take you through.” The Governor stepped back, afraid that Jesse would lash out. He was reacting clamly, too calmly. Jesse stood up wordlessly and followed the Officer back to his cell. Only once he was there, with the door shut behind him did Jesse let his emotion get the better of him. Sinking to the floor he burst into tears. All he could think about was Kane and Kirsty and their new baby. He had let them down, Kane was dead and it was all his fault. Well maybe not all. With that thought his anger resurfaced and he picked up the dresser and threw it across the cell, he smashed the alarm clock, overturned the bed, slung everything aside, threw his own belongings at the wall. He stood shaking in the middle of the mess and uproar but only one thought was clear in his mind. Gus Philips was to blame for this, for all of it. Gus had threatened Sutty, Gus had murdered Blubber and now he had murdered Kane. Gus was to blame and he needed to be punished. It was over a week now since Jesse had told Peter he would kill Philips but what did that matter now? Peter was probably dead. Maybe if Jesse had killed him sooner Peter would still be alive, Kane would still be alive. There was only one solution in Jesse’s mind. Gus Philips had to pay for what he had done and Jesse would have to be the one to make him pay. He would bide his time, keep his cool but he would do it. For Peter, for Kane, for Blubber. Gus Philip’s days were well and truly numbered.

their-lovers-1.jpg

the-bomb-has-gone-off.jpg

Fantastic chapter, Kat, full of excitement, just like an end-of-season cliffhanger, and OMG, who did those brilliant pictures at the end too?

Loved the dialogue especially, particularly the early conversation between Kirsty and Irene, very realistic.

Beth was furious, her voice was calm and her anger cool but her flashing eyes gave her feelings away.

Superb description! :D

Poor Kirsty! And poor Jesse too, I reckon the anger is exactly how he would react. Looking forward to next chapter. :)

Archived