Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what I want to know, Skykat, is how on earth do you manage to find the time to read everyone's fanfics :o (and while writing your own! :P ). I only manage to keep up with about four! :)

I don't! There's only really a handful that I manage to regulary keep up with. I don't tend to read new fics anymore either unless they're by an author whose work I love or if they're recommended to me because I just don't have the time.

My job is pretty intense, I'm away every weekend and I have an awful lot of personal stuff going on that I'm trying to deal with so my time is a bit limited. I tend to read other people's fics by popping on here in little bits during the day but the only time I really get to write is at night because I have insomnia so I write instead of sleeping!

I had a week away last week and I have really struggled to get back into writing this fic but the next chapter has been written and has gone to Jess for proofing so it should be with you in the next day or two. Thanks for everyone's lovely comments.

FIFTY SEVEN

“Well?” Tony demanded.

“Well what?” Lucas snapped, pulling his covers over his head.

“Well are you going to explain what Cassie was doing here?” Tony yelled.

“Look Dad, nothing happened,” Lucas replied.

“Really?”

“Really, she snuck in last night, she was waiting for me when we got back but we just slept. I swear nothing happened,” Lucas replied.

“Good,” Tony breathed.

“I don’t see what the big deal is? Matilda doesn’t even get told off for actually having sex with Dylan but I get a whole load for sharing a bed with Cassie?” Lucas asked, his tone full of anger and resentment. “Matilda is Beth’s concern Lucas and you’re mine. I’m not shouting at you I just want to be sure you know what you’re doing,” Tony replied.

“I do,” Lucas told him.

“See I don’t think you do. You’re at a pretty rough place right now son, I see that but this sort of behaviour isn’t the answer,” Tony said.

“What sort of behaviour?” Lucas asked of Tony.

“This fooling around with Cassie when you don’t really like her that much,” Tony told him.

“Who says I don’t like her?”

“Come on Luc it’s pretty obvious to everyone you’re just hurting over Mattie,” Tony explained.

“Is it now? Well for your information I couldn’t give a toss about Matilda or what she does and I do like Cassie so it’s none of your business what I do,” Lucas snapped.

“It is my business when I find her in your bed. I mean does Sally know?” Tony asked.

“No. But I’m sure you’ll tell her though,” Lucas replied.

“Where’s this attitude coming from Luc? I’m on your side,” Tony assured him.

“Yeah really feels like it,” Lucas snapped, standing up and heading out of the room.

“Lucas where are you going?”

“For a shower!” Lucas stormed from the room leaving Tony wondering just where he was going wrong with his sons at the moment.

“Mr Hunter nice to meet you. My name is Richard Brigg I’m the assistant manager here at the bank and it’s nice to meet you finally.” Robbie shook hands with the warm, friendly man who extended his hand.

“You too Sir and I just want to say thank you for this opportunity,” Robbie replied, “I know I’m a bit young for this sort of position…”

“Well maybe so but you’re references are excellent and Barry Hyde in particular is a good friend of our manager here so his recommendation carried a lot of weight. Are you aware of what your role here will be?” Mr Brigg asked.

“Vaguely. I know you took me on mainly for my computer analysts skills and my ability to research on the net,” Robbie replied.

“Yes but are you aware that your job will require you to, how shall I put it, research our clients?” Mr Brigg asked.

“Yes Sir, that aspect of the job was outlined to me,” Robbie replied.

“So you understand that this is a highly confidential post and as such you’ll have to sign a confidentiality agreement? Nothing in this post is to be discussed beyond myself and the manager here, that includes with other colleagues and friends?”

“Yes Sir I understand,” Robbie replied.

“And you realise also that if anybody comes into the restricted area of the bank where you will be working you are not permitted to discuss what you or they are doing here?” Mr Brigg stressed.

“Yes Sir I understand that,” Robbie replied, wondering just why the man felt the need to emphasise something that Robbie was already well aware of.

“Good. Well this is your desk and your computer, nobody comes down this end of the bank unless it’s to access the personal files or safety deposit boxes so you will be relatively isolated. Apart from today however because we have an employee from another branch coming in to do some work in the unit next to yours, you’re not permitted to speak to him though or he to you, even about everyday matters, okay?” Mr Brigg asked.

“Yes Sir,” Robbie replied but he felt increasingly weird about what he was being asked to do. Sure this was a confidential job, but surely some conversation was allowed?

“Right well, I’ll leave you to get settled then.” Mr Brigg hurried off mentally going through the checklist he had been left in his head. Mr Shaw had been livid when he had realised that the new recruit was starting work today and had insisted that Richard emphasise the confidentiality aspect of the job, particularly that Mr Hunter must not talk to the employee from the other branch. That in itself seemed weird to Mr Brigg because he had never known a employee come in from another branch before and surely even if it was confidential information the two men would be able to at least say hello? Mr Shaw had said no though, there was to be no communication between the two and Richard Brigg could not help feeling that something was happening in the Bank today, something big. He only wished he knew what.

“Was all that clear Kane?” PC Mark Townsend, dressed as a TV repair man, asked him.

“Yeah I know what I have to do. What’s the point of this wire though if I can’t get in touch with anyone?” Kane asked.

“Because we can monitor what goes on with you, we can hear everything through the wire and the micro camera in your watch will give us a good, clear visual of what’s going on,” Mark explained.

“But what if I need to get in touch with you?” Kane demanded.

“You’ll be surrounded by plain clothed officers all of whom are wearing two way wires and any communication can be through them,” Mark explained.

“Okay.” Kane breathed.

“Good. I’ll be going then, you two need to say your goodbyes and you should start making your way to the bus stop Kane. You’re to be on the twenty past bus into town remember?”

“Yeah, can’t forget can I?” Kane replied sarcastically.

“Well I’ll be off then.” Mark packed up his things and after wishing them good luck, left the Beach House.

“I’ll walk you to the Diner, make sure you’re surrounded by people and then I’ll walk to the bus stop. If we go now we’ll have time,” Kane told Kirsty when they were alone.

“Is that really necessary babe?” Kirsty asked.

“It’ll reassure me babe. My Dad’s insane there’s no knowing what he’ll try and I’d feel a lot more comfortable if I knew you were somewhere safe where he couldn’t get to you,” Kane replied.

“You think he will?” Kirsty had not considered the possibility that she might be in danger and she was worried now.

“Who knows what he’ll do babe, but it’s a possibility isn’t it? He might keep hold of you to make sure I go through with it. I’m just not taking any chances,” Kane told her, Kirsty’s face drained of colour and Kane became aware that he had upset her. “It’ll be okay babe, you’re going to be safe and I will too, so get Matthew ready and we’ll head off.”

“Okay,” Kirsty agreed, allowing some of her tension to leave her body as he hugged her. Within minutes Matthew was ready and the two were heading, hand in hand, towards the Diner.

Sutty had been having a lovely dream about Rachel, just being with her, it was so realistic that when he felt himself stirring from his sleep he stretched out to touch her and made contact with her …facial hair. Sutty jumped up in shock and with his eyes now wide open, he became aware that he had slept, not in bed with Rachel but on a sofa with Dan. Startled by his sudden movement Dan too awoke and yawned loudly.

“Where am I?” he asked, sleepily.

“Kane’s sofa, it appears we slept together mate,” Sutty teased.

“Please tell me that this is all a nightmare and that last night didn’t really happen?” Dan demanded.

“Sorry mate, no can do. You left Leah and Rachel threw me out, it happened alright,” Sutty concerned. Dan groaned again. “Like me to see if Kane has any painkillers?” he offered.

“No I just want to die,” Dan moaned. Sutty managed a smile and headed to the kitchen to fix Dan a glass of water and some painkillers. “Is that your phone flashing?” Dan asked, pointing in the direction of a flashing light.

“Yeah it is, I must have put it to silent last night,” Sutty replied, picking his phone up and opening it to reveal an answer phone message. Pressing the button he held the phone to his ear and listened.

“Anyone interesting?” Dan demanded, looking marginally more human now that the water had been consumed.

“Sssh,” Sutty urged, “It was Rachel, she’s sorry she went off at me and she wants to talk. Apparently her and Leah are really worried that we didn’t go home last night,” Sutty explained.

“She can worry all she likes,” Dan snapped.

“You’re still mad then?”

“Mad doesn’t even begin to cover it,” Dan replied.

“Take it you don’t want to head over there then? I’m going to go try and talk to Rachel,” Sutty told him.

“Go for it. I never want to see Leah again,” Dan replied.

“You don’t mean that,” Sutty told him.

“Yeah I do. Actually I will come with you, I’ll come over and collect my stuff,” Dan replied.

“Don’t you think you’re maybe being a bit hasty?” Sutty urged.

“No. She’s been after my brother, do you know that’s why Amanda, my first wife, I split up? She went with Peter too and that took a long time to forgive and now Leah too. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive her,” Dan spat. Sutty said nothing, he had completely underestimated the depth of Dan’s anger.

“Still I think you should take a minute to cool down,” Sutty urged.

“No need, lets go,” Dan replied, picking up his jacket and heading out of the door. Sutty had no choice but to follow him.

“Tick, tock, tick, tock. Time’s running out.” Jesse had been lying on the hard bed in the isolation cell with his eyes shut when Gus’s voice intruded on his thoughts.

“This is meant to be solitary confinement, how the hell did you get down here?” Jesse demanded.

“That’s not very nice when I’m delivering your breakfast,” Gus sneered.

“A bit late for my breakfast isn’t it?” Jesse retorted.

“Well I was busy before now, planning things, you know,” Gus replied. Jesse knew this was his signal to ask what Gus was planning but he was determined not to rise to the bait.

“You’re not even responsible for breakfast duty,” he snapped.

“I know but isn’t it amazing what jobs you can get to do when you know the right people?” Gus sneered.

“Blubber did absolutely nothing to you Philips, why did you do it?” Jesse demanded.

“Nothing to do with me, I wasn’t involved,” Gus protested.

“Sure,” Jesse replied, his voice laced heavily with sarcasm.

“Seriously I wasn’t but if I had been that old fatty certainly wouldn’t have been the target, maybe he just got in the way,” Gus replied.

“Are you saying that Blubber wasn’t the target?” Jesse demanded, furiously.

“What would I want with someone like him? You however…it was a very noble thing he did though. Shame he never lived to be thanked for it.”

“You bastard!” Jesse pounded at the door, furious with Gus’s admission.

“Temper, temper,” Gus sneered.

“You’ll pay for this, I swear to god I’ll kill you for this!” Jesse fumed.

“I don’t think you’re in any condition to make threats now are you? Kind of hard to kill anyone down here,” Gus shot back.

“I can wait,” Jesse replied, his voice hard.

“I’m sure you can, but it is pretty lonely down here isn’t it? I think maybe you need something more to think about, a bit more to hate me for perhaps?” Gus tormented.

“Nothing could make me hate you more right now,” Jesse snapped.

“Not even if I was to tell you what I have in store for that darling son of mine?” Gus asked.

“What about Kane?” Jesse was suddenly all ears.

“Interested now are we? Thought you didn’t want to know?” Gus demanded.

“Just tell me Philips!” Jesse shouted, the last remnants of his temper exploding.

“Oh I’ll tell you alright just because there is nothing you can do to stop it and the very thought of it will torment you to death,” Gus sneered.

“The thought of what?” Jesse asked, half-afraid of the answer.

“Of what lies in store for my son in just about three quarters of an hours time,” Gus replied.

Archived