Tammin: 'Home & Away' is unrealistic

Guest msf

Guys, I don't want to be rude and I know I'm not a mod or anything but, please, can you take your argument somewhere else? The rest of us don't want to here it!! That's not what we've come to this thread for.

Moving on.. The Cure, I agree with you 100%. Before, when you posted and didn't know that Dani had protested etc.. I was seriously worried about what you were writing!! Makes sense now though! :)

You're spot on about Kirsty. How she could go out with Kane and then marry him, I don't know. I know that what he did to Dani doesn't make him the Devil or anything but the fact that Kirsty is Dani's sister just made it wrong. So wrong. I didn't get it, at all.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krazy Karl, I can't believe that you read my post properly.

I did not suggest that Kane should be locked away for life, removed from society, given the death penalty or anything of the sort.

I was simply saying that, if Dani did make her objections clear to Kane, and he still went ahead and forced sex on her, then how is it posssible that Dani's very own sister could not only forgive him, but marry him??

It does not seem something than most people would/could do. I am not writing Kane off, or suggesting that he couldn't potentially be rehabilitated, but surely Kirsty is far too close to home??

And Kane did not pay penance for what he did.  Yes, over time he began to experience remorse, but some things are unforgivable and that is a fact.  I don't know how many women out there could want anything to do with a someone who had raped anyone, let alone their own sister.  I was just pointing out that that was a daft thing of the producers to do, because it does seem to make what Kane did to be shown to be "okay" and forgivable.

On that more general point about prisons......yes, you are right, rehabilitation is essential, as some criminals just need help to see the error of their ways (Kane, for instance) and can then be re-integrated into society and live normal, law abiding lives.

However, there are also criminals who are so despicable, and those that pose such an incredible threat to society, they need to be locked away for good, to protect us all.

Ian Huntley, for instance, would fall into that category, as would terrorists.

Anyway, just to reiterate, I wasn't suggesting that Kane couldn't be rehabilitated at all, just that it was not a good idea to have Kirsty as the one to fall in love him and force all the others to accept him into their lives, considering the fact that Kanes victim was her very own sister.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I did... I just got a bit sidetracked in a political rant :P

I think that was the controversy of Kirsty and Kane. It wasn't daft at all. It was how it unfolded. And Kirsty being selfish allowed it to happen. Just out of curiousity, did you watch it the first time around. Because I've generally found that people who didn't watch Kirsty and Kane fall in love are the ones that are more likely not to accept them.

Krazy Karl, I can't believe that you read my post properly.

I did not suggest that Kane should be locked away for life, removed from society, given the death penalty or anything of the sort.

I was simply saying that, if Dani did make her objections clear to Kane, and he still went ahead and forced sex on her, then how is it posssible that Dani's very own sister could not only forgive him, but marry him??

It does not seem something than most people would/could do. I am not writing Kane off, or suggesting that he couldn't potentially be rehabilitated, but surely Kirsty is far too close to home??

And Kane did not pay penance for what he did.  Yes, over time he began to experience remorse, but some things are unforgivable and that is a fact.  I don't know how many women out there could want anything to do with a someone who had raped anyone, let alone their own sister.  I was just pointing out that that was a daft thing of the producers to do, because it does seem to make what Kane did to be shown to be "okay" and forgivable.

On that more general point about prisons......yes, you are right, rehabilitation is essential, as some criminals just need help to see the error of their ways (Kane, for instance) and can then be re-integrated into society and live normal, law abiding lives.

However, there are also criminals who are so despicable, and those that pose such an incredible threat to society, they need to be locked away for good, to protect us all.

Ian Huntley, for instance, would fall into that category, as would terrorists.

Anyway, just to reiterate, I wasn't suggesting that Kane couldn't be rehabilitated at all, just that it was not a good idea to have Kirsty as the one to fall in love him and force all the others to accept him into their lives, considering the fact that Kanes victim was her very own sister.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I did... I just got a bit sidetracked in a political rant :P

I think that was the controversy of Kirsty and Kane. It wasn't daft at all. It was how it unfolded. And Kirsty being selfish allowed it to happen. Just out of curiousity, did you watch it the first time around. Because I've generally found that people who didn't watch Kirsty and Kane fall in love are the ones that are more likely not to accept them.

I had huge problems with KK. I would've liked Kane coming back and earning Dani's acceptance - but he forced it on her through KK, and I couldn't stand it.

Away from Dani, I actually liked some parts of Kane. But because of the utter selfishness of KK, any real respect I could've had for Kane was ruined.

It actually took me a long time to accept that Kirsty actually loved Kane. It coincided with a period in her life where she was being rebelious and turning against her family - I just thought Kane was an extreme way to do this. But by the end I could see that they really loved each other. But it wasn't enough for me to like KK as a couple.

It was "put up and shut up" or lose your sister. I still find it difficult to believe that the princess took the more selfless option.

I don't really understand what you're saying here. You think that it would have been more selfless of Dani to refuse to have anything to do with Kane or Kirsty again? Personally, I think that making an effort to work through things and keep her family together was not a selfish action at all.

I've said this before, but I still don't understand why people claim that the most selfish person in the whole saga was Dani. Why didn't people expect Kirsty to be the one to 'put up and shut up' in the first place? Surely splitting up with your boyfriend at fifteen isn't as horrible a thing to deal with as having your rapist become your brother-in-law?

I still see the situation that Kane and Kirsty put Dani in as very cruel. Rape is all about power - Kane forced himself on Dani physically, and then did it again metaphorically when he forced himself into her life by marrying her sister. And what really annoyed me was that he openly taunted her about it (remember that scene when he bragged to her about how he was going to be the one to father her nieces and nephews?). Even if Dani chose the 'less selfless option' - which I don't believe she did - I don't think it was fair of Kirsty and Kane to expect her to choose one of those options in the first place.

It was "put up and shut up" or lose your sister. I still find it difficult to believe that the princess took the more selfless option.

I don't really understand what you're saying here. You think that it would have been more selfless of Dani to refuse to have anything to do with Kane or Kirsty again? Personally, I think that making an effort to work through things and keep her family together was not a selfish action at all.

I've said this before, but I still don't understand why people claim that the most selfish person in the whole saga was Dani. Why didn't people expect Kirsty to be the one to 'put up and shut up' in the first place? Surely splitting up with your boyfriend at fifteen isn't as horrible a thing to deal with as having your rapist become your brother-in-law?

I still see the situation that Kane and Kirsty put Dani in as very cruel. Rape is all about power - Kane forced himself on Dani physically, and then did it again metaphorically when he forced himself into her life by marrying her sister. And what really annoyed me was that he openly taunted her about it (remember that scene when he bragged to her about how he was going to be the one to father her nieces and nephews?). Even if Dani chose the 'less selfless option' - which I don't believe she did - I don't think it was fair of Kirsty and Kane to expect her to choose one of those options in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I mean, is that I find it difficult to believe that Dani (known fairly well for her selfish streak) would have taken the selfless option (as she did), especially in such a difficult/sensitive situation.

Archived