Tammin: 'Home & Away' is unrealistic

Guest msf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the unpleasantness came from your end Karl. If you want to stop the unpleasantness, that's fine with me. But I won't stop until I get the unpleasantness out of BttB.

I don't want to get in the way of your enjoyment of the boards.

By the way, it's still "you're". But because you're not being unpleasant at the moment, I won't take it any further.

CMS, I  don't think anyone here is saying that the Kane/Dani situation was "normal" for first time sex at all......I really don't know where you got that from or to whom you are referring.

I didn't think Dani had protested, mostly because of the way the story went after that.  If she was clear about not wanting it, then how could Kane possibly claim ignorance?? He is supposed to be intelligent, so could he fail to realise thart a girl repeatedly telling him "no" and trying to push him off, causing him to use force, means that she deosn't want it??? he is not a child. He is not stupid.  He obviously knew what he was doing.

That is an awful, awful thing to do, so how could `Kirtsy not only forgive him, but fall in love with him???  it makes no sense at all.  I suppose I got my menory of the catual rape episode muddeld up (I didn't recall Dani protesting or Kane using force)..because the wiriters appeared tp have too!!

How utterly bizarre....

The seemed to be attempting to justify his behaviour by bringing up his abusive childhood, but that is stil no excuse.

Suerly Any man with a brain can tell that a woman  who resists him, shouts no, forcefully tries to push him off etc  seriously does not want sex.....so why was Kane allowed poff the hook if that was the case with Dani ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're looking at the whole thing way too black and white. Just because someone does something wrong doesn't make them a bad person. Even if they do a big wrong thing. You're doing exactly what way too many do. You're writing off criminals. The prison system sucks, because it doesn't care about rehabilitation enough. It is just worried about locking people away from the society. The problem is that most get out, and for a lot the problem just manifests.

It is not Black and White. Yes Kane raped Dani. Yes his background etc. is no excuse, though it is a reason. He was brought up with the belief that Woman are objects, that a woman will always say no, but they mean yes, etc. He was troubled, and he was very much in the wrong with Dani. That does not make him a horrible person though. This is exactly why I don't agree with the Death Penalty. Well that and there is always the possibility the person is innocent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Krazy Karl, I can't believe that you read my post properly.

I did not suggest that Kane should be locked away for life, removed from society, given the death penalty or anything of the sort.

I was simply saying that, if Dani did make her objections clear to Kane, and he still went ahead and forced sex on her, then how is it posssible that Dani's very own sister could not only forgive him, but marry him??

It does not seem something than most people would/could do. I am not writing Kane off, or suggesting that he couldn't potentially be rehabilitated, but surely Kirsty is far too close to home??

And Kane did not pay penance for what he did. Yes, over time he began to experience remorse, but some things are unforgivable and that is a fact. I don't know how many women out there could want anything to do with a someone who had raped anyone, let alone their own sister. I was just pointing out that that was a daft thing of the producers to do, because it does seem to make what Kane did to be shown to be "okay" and forgivable.

On that more general point about prisons......yes, you are right, rehabilitation is essential, as some criminals just need help to see the error of their ways (Kane, for instance) and can then be re-integrated into society and live normal, law abiding lives.

However, there are also criminals who are so despicable, and those that pose such an incredible threat to society, they need to be locked away for good, to protect us all.

Ian Huntley, for instance, would fall into that category, as would terrorists.

Anyway, just to reiterate, I wasn't suggesting that Kane couldn't be rehabilitated at all, just that it was not a good idea to have Kirsty as the one to fall in love him and force all the others to accept him into their lives, considering the fact that Kanes victim was her very own sister.

Archived