Tammin: 'Home & Away' is unrealistic

Guest msf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think Tammin is right. Although the show isn't meant to be extremely realistic, I think the way this story was portrayed sort of minimised it. It's shocking how people can think that Dani wasn't raped but I understand how they can think that.

I don't think she was slating Home and Away either.. maybe just the fact that it can't do too much.

I reckon the rape thing was the censors... but now we have the two sweetest words in the English Language, Pee Gee!!!

Seriously though, that seems like a really odd thing to say, and I wonder how far into her time on the show did it take her to realise this? Did realise it by the time her character fell down that mine shaft? Or did was it the Car going over the clifF that did it? Or the fact her sister all of a sudden wasn't!

That's not unrealistic, what's unrealistic is that Marc went to same university Sarah did and at the same time even though he's from a different country, much older and neither of them is uni material.

Then Plonker arrested Marc because he reckoned he was in love with her, did he find any witnesses to corroborate that ?

"Home and Away is unrealistic"-Tammin

No **** Sherlock!!!!!

Did she figure that out when Colleen fell down a quarry and was lifted back to the top by the Aboriginal ghost of Alf's brain tumour imagination???? Or the time her sister Jade was thrown from a car that went of a cliff and landed on a beach two miles from said clifftop, with no more than a small cut on her forehead????

Methinks she is just bitter because she lost screentime on that storyline. Whilst it could have been interesting to make that storyline grittier and more decisive, you have to realise that had the storyline made it clear that Kane actually raped Dani, we never could have had the Kirsty/Kane storyline, which proved very popular with viewrs, much more popular than Princesss Sutherland and her weekly moan.

If the storyline hadn't been left so ambigous, they would never have been able to create that other side to Kane's character and have Kirsty fall in love with him-the viewers simply would not buy it. As it was left, we could pretty much decipher than Dani lead him on a fair bit, and he failed to realise that she wanted to stop. We could forgive Kane when we realised he genuinely hadn't realised, and was genuinely sorry for hurting her. And then we could believe in him and Kirtsy. and all the subsequent storylines those two enjoyed.

So I think it worked out for the best really. Tammin should really get over it. And herself.

Bull**** that Kane's character was ambiguous!!!

He ALWAYS had raped, as in penetrated without consent, Dani. It was just that he thought he had permission, and didn't believe he was in the wrong at first. Kane worked because he was a kid that made a pretty big mistake, and got away with it, and then had to go into rebuild mode, and did it pretty successfully. He was always a nice guy, he just was confused, and took Dani's flirting to be an invitation for sex. But there should have been no doubt in anyones mind that Kane penetrated Dani.

On the Kane thing, there are so many situations for rape. Theres dark alley, very clearly non consentual rape, theres, also very clearly very non conesntual date rape. Theres getting hot and heavy, one partner says no, the other keeps going, and its that no that often makes or breaks rape cases. If somebody is continually saying to stop throughout the whole thing, its pretty obvious to the rapist that its not wanted. If they say no, it what can easily be misread as in the same context as "we shouldnt, I have work soon". Theres even been rape cases where the rapist has thought the victim's nos were moans of pleasure. With Danis rape, it was eventually left up to the audience as to what sort it was. People will never aggree.

That said, shes an idiot if she thought that signing up for a soap opera was going to equal realastic storylines.

The Kane/ Dani storyline was always left slightly ambigous. If Dani had tried to push him off, shouted out at him to get off etc, it would have been obvious to anyone and everyone, even Kane, that that would constitute rape. In that case, it would have been fairly cut and dry, and how could Kirsty, or the audience, have ever forgiven him? It would have been impossible, not to mention sick.

The trouble with the word "consent" is that it is difficult to define in rape cases. People don't generally sign forms consenting to the act before having sex, consent is usually assumed when both people carry on and don't make any vocal or physical objections. Kane could not read Dani's mind, and unless she actually forcefully told him no, and he was required to physically restrain her in order to go through with the act, that one cannot really blame him, or accuse him of "rape".

What we saw of the storyline was Dani very obviously flirting with Kane, dressing provocatively, inviting him into the house, and then bringing him up to her bedroom. What happened from there was unseen and had to be figured out based on the erspective character's accounts after the event.

The audience were left with the general idea that Kane misread signals from Dani, and failed to pick up on her unwillingness, but not that she actually tried her best to push him off, or cried out for help. In that way, we are able to frogive Kane, and put it down to teenage stupidity and the fact that he let his hormones overtake his ability to care for Dani's feelings.

If you believ that Kane willingly raped Dani, and this was clearly not the writers intention, than how on Earth can you ever forgive him???

Krazy Karl, you say that Kane mistook Dani's flirting for more, and believed that she wanted to have sex, so how is that rape??? Rape is when the person knows that the other one doesn't want sex, but forces it upon them anyway, using physical force, weapons, or threats.

Archived