Euros 2020

pembie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a awful shot taken by Ashford that cost the game I think 

Well overall I thought England was very lucky to get to the final I think we played best against inikane even though I found that 4 0 win boring to watch I enjoy closer games so at least italy didn’t thrash us last night 

To have fans break into Wembley was beyond stupid and then the person running around on the pitch just proves people are dumb 

Oh well maybe we will win the World Cup next year lol

I quite liked that the Dutchess of Cambridge was at the presentation ceremony when Djokovic won Wimbledon and she was at Wembley with Prince William and Prince George shortly afterwards.

I thought England had an amazing start and for a significant portion during the first half they were dominating.  But in the second half they reverted to the team that lost to France and Portugal in 2004, Portugal in 2006 and Italy in 2012.  So unlike a typical Premiership team, they were sitting back and refusing to come out and play.  I was concerned that when Southgate announced the squad with 5 in midfield, whilst it's attacking with a 3-5-2, if the wing backs aren't pressing forward, you are effectively playing with 5 at the back.

Most people could see that the Italian goal was coming and when they scored I felt there was going to be one winner.  I had doubts about Pickford but I thought he did brilliantly to save 2 penalties.  So again below average penalty taking which has been typical for this tournament.  No blame to attribute to the penalty takers because its very difficult in that scenario although I do agree that blasting them is probably better than trying to fool the keeper with the run-up.

I knew immediately that the 3 players in question were going to be subject to racial abuse after the match.  People will always find the scapegoat.  I was concerned how people would react if England lost but whilst the racial abuse and violence are disgusting the violence itself hasn't been as bad as I thought.  The funny thing is you don't see this with other sports - Rugby, Tennis, Athletics etc.  I honestly hope that England don't host anything like this in the foreseeable future but questions have to be asked about the negative tactics and ultimately if England are to succeed at international level then they have to be brave.  Italy were the best team in that tournament and worthy champions.

On a slightly different note, really great to see Argentina beat Brazil in Brazil's own back yard and win their first major tournament in 28 years.  Really enjoyed the second half of that game and very pleased Messi has finally won something at international level.

Archived