Why are they destroying characters before they leave?

project90

They wrecked Zac, made him a cheater and be hated and took Hunter for him

Kat was horrible at the end. Looked bad, unprofessional and pathetic when it came to the whole Robbo baby storyline 

Ash has never been much of a fan favorite but got worse at the end with the whole custody battle and Robbo obsession .

VJ also didn't fair well in the custody storyline and I hated the hinted romance with Coco (glad that never went anywhere) They killed Billie's character who I think was well liked. They could have given her and VJ a happy ever after and avoided the bad storyline 

Olivia they destroyed by making her cheat on Hunter when again they left at same time they could have got married and explored a young marriage/live together storyline and made them leave together. When was the last time they had a long term couple leave together happy? 

Brody they destroyed with the affair. He was a well liked character. They could of done a marriage problem where they rushed in too soon and for the wrong reasons. They married to make Maggie happy while she was sick. They could have had the marriage fall apart and had Brody leaving with a bit of repect.

Spoiler

Now they are making Raffy unbearable in the lead up to her exit. 

Way more examples but I've made my point 

Josh Barrett was ruined before he left. To this day, I still believe that it was entirely out of character for him to commit murder. 

I agree about VJ as well. I found it really unbelievable that they'd make him into a bad parent just to create drama and to eventually hand the baby over to Ash of all people. 

On 22/08/2019 at 09:06, D.B said:

Josh Barrett was ruined before he left. To this day, I still believe that it was entirely out of character for him to commit murder. 

I agree about VJ as well. I found it really unbelievable that they'd make him into a bad parent just to create drama and to eventually hand the baby over to Ash of all people. 

Couldn’t agree more. It still riles me up remembering that whole storyline!  The only way I think they could maybe have got away with it is if they’d made it some sort of after effect of his head injury.

Does anyone hate it too when characters become such background characters before they leave?. 

Also noticed people seem to think Kyle was ruined too!. 

I wouldn’t say he was ruined he just got all dramatic storylines once brothers left. 

But just wondering form other people point of view?. 

I notice characters are sometimes sidelined into background before there exit too

Tamara - She barely had any storylines  in her last 12 months.

Spencer - I guess we probably had too many teens at the time but he become very sidelined after he broke up with Maddy, except that dating online hoax storyline. 

Matt - After Maddy left he basically was just Evie's shoulder to cry on, and other than that he took his sister Eloise under his wing but I believe they only did that so Raffy could have a playmate her own age

Olivia - After cheating on Hunter she just seemed to be there as a friend for Jasmine and Ziggy. 

I know characters might be ruined in some people’s point of view  but I think it’s better to have storylines before they leave instead of this being there as part of the furniture . 

On 26/08/2019 at 19:52, Little bean said:

The only way I think they could maybe have got away with it is if they’d made it some sort of after effect of his head injury.

An after effect of his head injury? I never really considered that, but when you actually think about it, it's very plausible! If only they'd actually went with that, it would been a good attempt to save his character.

Archived