General Chat

Krazy Karl

Lol VLC is safe, as far as I know :)

Eli, not actually been as an exchange student, but I went to visit family there and went to their school a few times to visit. Plus I've been on holiday about seven times and have spoken the language since I was four. Maybe I can help? :unsure:

Okay, you see my school is offering this french exchange programme. You can go to France for three weeks, live with a host family and go to school.

It's based on three-four years of French education (like I have), but I'm afraid my French sucks...

Also I have heard that French people tend to laugh at you if you don't speak their language perfectly (I would cause major laughing if that's true...)

Also I'm kind of worried about their politeness and manners, cause I'm so afraid of doing something wrong that somehow would seem rude.

Is it as horrible as I'm afraid? And do most French people today speak understandable English?

On one level I really wanna sign up for this programme, but I'm a bit chicken about it too!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and offering to help by the way, it's very much appreciated :)

Don't even worry about that lol - I'm glad to help out! :)

Well, there are some French people who may laugh at you, but they're in the minority, as far as my experience goes. Their English is, as a general rule, pretty good and understandable, but they're learners just like you are with French. Most of them will understand that you are just a student and are there to learn, and will want to help you and welcome you.

The manners there are only a slightly bigger deal than here, and again, if they've signed up for this programme, they understand you're still learning. I doubt very much they'd take any offence if you made a tiny slip-up, as long as they can see you're trying.

I know the French do get a pretty bad reputation as far as attitude goes, but it's an extremely stereotypical view, as far as I can tell from being there. Some French people may be a little snooty, but name me any one person you know who hasn't at some point thought they were better than another! My point is, most Prench people are just normal people like you or me (no jokes about me please :P) and they will treat you fairly, and be nice to you, as they are perfectly aware this is a new experience for you.

I would definitely sign up for it - it sounds like it would be a worthwhile experience, and it's understandable to be scared, but I can assure you, most of what you've heard are the kinds of rumours spread by the same ignorant people that think because I'm Scottish I have red wild hair, drink beer obsessively and wear a kilt to school (no on all counts :wink: ). They say things because they don't know any better, but this is a chance for you to find out for yourself how wrong they are. It would be a shame to pass it up.

I hope this helps a little, and if you have any other questions, whether about France or your French, please don't hesitate to post them or PM me with them. I'm always happy to help out :)

Thanks, I know what you mean about stereotyping, I'm Norwegian, but my favourite food isn't rotten fish, I don't love cross country skiing, and I didn't meet ANY polar bears in Oslo! :P

I think I'm gonna sign up...

It might help a little that French exchange students are coming to our school soon (which means they'll have to speak English, as there are only a few students who knows any French)

Thanks again for helping me out, I only have one more question (for now): is the food horrible?

Lol well it depends on taste, really - although if you're out for meals, you'll find it easy enough to get pasta dishes etc like you would here. The traditional French food, I really like, but I can see why some people might not.

Give it a go anyway - if you're not into it, you'll easily find something similar to what you'd get in an Italian restaurant, for example, I would think. And don't worry about "snails" or "frogs' legs" which you hear about - snails, I've tried, and they're a delicacy in France. They do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat them every other night, as you may be told! :lol:

The French students will know from being at your school what it's like to be the odd one out, so they'll most likely do everything they can to make the experience easy on you :)

As I said, I really don't mind helping - I'm here for a chat about France any time lol! It's my favourite country, so ..... :)

Lol well it depends on taste, really - although if you're out for meals, you'll find it easy enough to get pasta dishes etc like you would here. The traditional French food, I really like, but I can see why some people might not.

Give it a go anyway - if you're not into it, you'll easily find something similar to what you'd get in an Italian restaurant, for example, I would think. And don't worry about "snails" or "frogs' legs" which you hear about - snails, I've tried, and they're a delicacy in France. They do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat them every other night, as you may be told! :lol:

The French students will know from being at your school what it's like to be the odd one out, so they'll most likely do everything they can to make the experience easy on you :)

As I said, I really don't mind helping - I'm here for a chat about France any time lol! It's my favourite country, so ..... :)

Would it be okay if I added you on msn?