Chris Hemsworth 5th highest paid actor in Hollywood

Guest hunnibunni7000

Chris Hemsworth is a typical hunk that Hollywood is wanting for their hyped and commercial movies, the movies that the actors really get a huge payment for. This has very little to do with acting talent, a lot of more talented actors don't get this popular. But not many actors have that kind of charisma and looks. No other actor from H&A is coming close. Just look at the roles he has had. It is only action movies, never something deep.

Heath Ledger was extremely popular, but he was a different kind of actor. But also he had a lot of charisma (but different from Chris'), he was exceptional in movie dramas with more depth. The very mysterious one. Still there are actors out there who could have done just a great job as Heath did and Chris do, but they haven't got this far because of the lack of the right charisma, right contacts in Hollywood and luck.

But no other actor from H&A are coming close to these two when it comes to creating a good charisma... But it is absolutely possible to have a great career without being that kind of hyped, and best paid actor. There are tons of actors and actresses who we don't read about in every magazine, but still has a really good career. I hope that more H&A actors from the past do have a career like that. :) I think it is better to have a great career without being the most hyped and popular in Hollywood. The lifestyle and pressure in Hollywood is not good for everyone and it has destroyed several actors.

Good on him! He's done really well to capitalise on his opportunities in Hollywood.

Chris is also a well-liked guy because he hasn't forgotten his roots compared to some other actors who've headed to Hollywood over the years.

Chris Hemsworth is a typical hunk that Hollywood is wanting for their hyped and commercial movies, the movies that the actors really get a huge payment for. This has very little to do with acting talent, a lot of more talented actors don't get this popular. But not many actors have that kind of charisma and looks. No other actor from H&A is coming close. Just look at the roles he has had. It is only action movies, never something deep.

Heath Ledger was extremely popular, but he was a different kind of actor. But also he had a lot of charisma (but different from Chris'), he was exceptional in movie dramas with more depth. The very mysterious one. Still there are actors out there who could have done just a great job as Heath did and Chris do, but they haven't got this far because of the lack of the right charisma, right contacts in Hollywood and luck.

But no other actor from H&A are coming close to these two when it comes to creating a good charisma... But it is absolutely possible to have a great career without being that kind of hyped, and best paid actor. There are tons of actors and actresses who we don't read about in every magazine, but still has a really good career. I hope that more H&A actors from the past do have a career like that. :) I think it is better to have a great career without being the most hyped and popular in Hollywood. The lifestyle and pressure in Hollywood is not good for everyone and it has destroyed several actors.

I have followed chris hemsworths career since home and away and yes I am a little biased because he was my favourite in the show but most actors start off with blockbusters and action movies if they are lucky enough to land those types of roles. It is the only way to get noticed by better directors. he has not only made action movies. He has now worked twice with ron Howard on rush and the new in the heart of the sea. He is now getting better roles and ones that can showcase his acting talent which I think he has. You can not survive in Hollywood on looks alone. You must have something else.

It is amazing how he has established his career after home and away. It is very rare for soap opera actors to make it in Hollywood and I think it was through his determination and effort. Most actors who don't land roles or struggle to land roles give up and I don't think chris did. Even if he only made the Forbes list because of marvel movies it does not take away from his acting talent or his strive to succeed. He was cast as Thor and has used it to his advantage. Good for him. He obviously has a good team behind him.

He probably won't survive Hollywood if he only makes action movies but he isn't and I believe he will continue to score movies with depth as he continues with his career. He always gets good reviews for his movies on his acting and that is a very good start. The critics like him so far and so do a lot of the directors. next year he has 3 movies out and one is a potential oscar movie. I think he will continue to go up from here.

I don't believe any other home and away actors will make it as far as he has done. There is not much room in Hollywood for everyone. But I could be surprised. A lot of home and away actors are in Hollywood at the moment but none of them seem to be scoring any big roles. But time will tell.

• 3 months later...

I TOLD you all he was brilliant :)

I can understand how people who've only seen Thor/The Avengers (or only seen ads for them) would think he's just a pretty dumb blond getting by on good looks and big muscles because... uuuuummm... that's the character? I mean, Thor's weapon is a magical sledgehammer, that's like the definition of not-subtle. I went through this with Kim all the time back in the day, explaining to haters that Chris didn't show much emotion because KIM didn't show much emotion... It's a real shame when people can't tell the difference between actors and the characters they play.

If you want proof of a great actor INTENTIONALLY portraying an infuriating lack of emotion, go watch Brokeback Mountain. That movie bores the hell out of me, mostly because of Heath Ledger's performance, and he was nominated for an Oscar! (How they worked out that he was the "lead" and Jake Gyllenhaal was the "support" I'll never know.) He also (posthumously :( ) won an Oscar for playing a psychotic clown-faced serial killer who liked to blow things up in The Dark Knight - not particularly subtle, high class dramatic acting there, but still validated by the industry and the fans. Action, sci-fi and fantasy are no longer dirty words.

Now, I'm not going to say that Chris Hemsworth is as good an actor as Heath Ledger was, because I honestly don't think that's true. Maybe he will be in time, if he keeps landing good roles. I do think he's probably as good as Hugh Jackman though, and Hugh Jackman wouldn't be where he is today without a little movie called X-men. Does everyone hate Hugh Jackman because he sometimes plays a muscle-bound superhero in a comic book franchise? Or do we say wow, well done for making it in Hollywood and showing all the other Aussie actors out there that it can be done.

I'm really looking forward to In the Heart of the Sea. Somehow I've gone my whole life without ever reading Moby Dick (wonder if the forum will censor that lol), or watching a movie based on it. I know what it's about of course, but I've never wanted to investigate it because I didn't think I'd be able to sympathise at all with some guy who's only goal in life is to kill an animal (I like animals!). It'll be interesting to see if Chris can make me sympathise with that kind of cruelty and insanity. Either way, it will give me something to do while I patiently await the Brokeback Mountain sequel starring Chris Hemsworth as Heath Ledger (fingers crossed!).

Edit: oop, just looked it up: "Based on the 1820 event, a whaling ship is preyed upon by a sperm whale, stranding its crew at sea for 90 days, thousands of miles from home." Maybe NOT Moby Dick then? I just saw a whale and assumed... this is why we don't make assumptions based on trailers, kids!

I can understand how people who've only seen Thor/The Avengers (or only seen ads for them) would think he's just a pretty dumb blond getting by on good looks and big muscles because... uuuuummm... that's the character? I mean, Thor's weapon is a magical sledgehammer, that's like the definition of not-subtle. I went through this with Kim all the time back in the day, explaining to haters that Chris didn't show much emotion because KIM didn't show much emotion... It's a real shame when people can't tell the difference between actors and the characters they play.

If you want proof of a great actor INTENTIONALLY portraying an infuriating lack of emotion, go watch Brokeback Mountain. That movie bores the hell out of me, mostly because of Heath Ledger's performance, and he was nominated for an Oscar! (How they worked out that he was the "lead" and Jake Gyllenhaal was the "support" I'll never know.) He also (posthumously :( ) won an Oscar for playing a psychotic clown-faced serial killer who liked to blow things up in The Dark Knight - not particularly subtle, high class dramatic acting there, but still validated by the industry and the fans. Action, sci-fi and fantasy are no longer dirty words.

Now, I'm not going to say that Chris Hemsworth is as good an actor as Heath Ledger was, because I honestly don't think that's true. Maybe he will be in time, if he keeps landing good roles. I do think he's probably as good as Hugh Jackman though, and Hugh Jackman wouldn't be where he is today without a little movie called X-men. Does everyone hate Hugh Jackman because he sometimes plays a muscle-bound superhero in a comic book franchise? Or do we say wow, well done for making it in Hollywood and showing all the other Aussie actors out there that it can be done.

I'm really looking forward to In the Heart of the Sea. Somehow I've gone my whole life without ever reading Moby Dick (wonder if the forum will censor that lol), or watching a movie based on it. I know what it's about of course, but I've never wanted to investigate it because I didn't think I'd be able to sympathise at all with some guy who's only goal in life is to kill an animal (I like animals!). It'll be interesting to see if Chris can make me sympathise with that kind of cruelty and insanity. Either way, it will give me something to do while I patiently await the Brokeback Mountain sequel starring Chris Hemsworth as Heath Ledger (fingers crossed!).

Edit: oop, just looked it up: "Based on the 1820 event, a whaling ship is preyed upon by a sperm whale, stranding its crew at sea for 90 days, thousands of miles from home." Maybe NOT Moby Dick then? I just saw a whale and assumed... this is why we don't make assumptions based on trailers, kids!

In the heart of the sea is based on Moby Dicks story? It is somehow related to Moby Dick.

I do agree with what you wrote. I can't wait for in the heart of the sea. I think it will be great.

Chris is currently filming a comedy called Vacation. It will be quite exciting to see him take on a comedy film.

I agree that the late Heath ledger was a better actor for sure. He was brilliant. But Chris is himself and I think he is doing a fine job. It is very hard to be original in hollywood as there are a lot of young, blonde type actors out there trying for the same roles but he seems to have a good team behind me and he seems to be making good movie choices. Looking forward to seeing the rest of his movies. I think he has like 5 movies out next year. Going to be a great year

Have you seen Rush? He was really good in that.

I don’t necessarily think the highest paid actor means that they are the best actor or that they deserve the amount of money they are given. More that he is seen as one of the best marketing tools/an economical asset at the moment.

Having said that, I never thought he was a ‘plank’ in H&A and I think he’s ok at what he does. I don’t think he’s the best actor in Hollywood or deserves the amount of money he earns by any stretch, but then I think most actors are absolutely overpaid in general.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t necessarily think the highest paid actor means that they are the best actor or that they deserve the amount of money they are given. More that he is seen as one of the best marketing tools/an economical asset at the moment.

Having said that, I never thought he was a ‘plank’ in H&A and I think he’s ok at what he does. I don’t think he’s the best actor in Hollywood or deserves the amount of money he earns by any stretch, but then I think most actors are absolutely overpaid in general.

Exactly. Hollywood isn't that bothered about how talented you are, but rather how marketable you are, and how many tickets will sell for a film where you are one of the named stars. I think Chris has been quite clever with his film choices - Thor was a good film to breakout in because there are few other actors in Hollywood that would have had the physique to pull of Thor and comic hero films are often do well in the box office (because comics are now the cool thing rather than just perceived as geeky). And now, he has the popularity to expand his film repertoire.

I agree that he is probably average, and I am actually surprised that he made the top 5. But then again, number 2 is The Rock - I think Chris is definitely superior to him lol.

Archived