To Love Again

Guest Danni02

Thank you for the comments. Spotd1, chapter 22! :P

Twenty

Grace skipped excitedly by Charlie’s side. After a morning building sandcastles, being buried by her mother in the sand and then burying her mother, Grace had decided it was time to swim, or at least muck around in the water, given she was only two years old and couldn’t actually swim yet. “Nice day for a swim, huh?” Charlie turned around to see Brax walking down the beach with his surf board under his arm.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “It is.”

Brax smiled at her before looking down to Grace. “How are you today?”

Grace gave him a shy smile before leaning against Charlie’s legs. “I kay.” Grace answered quietly.

“And how are you?” Brax asked as he looked up to Charlie.

“Good.” Charlie answered as she noticed Brax’s tattoos. It was the first time she’d seen him with no shirt on and having seen the tattoo on his forearm, she’d wondered if it was his only one, but, obviously not.

“Checking out my ink?” Brax said, seeing Charlie’s eyes still fixed on his chest.

“Sorry.” Charlie looked back up to his face, seeing little dimples as he smiled.

“It’s alright; you can look all you want.” Brax grinned as he looked her up and down. She was in her white bikini and Brax thought she had a gorgeous body. Charlie bit her bottom lip and couldn’t help but like the look of Brax’s toned muscular body.

“You eh,” Charlie cleared her throat. “Like tattoos then.”

“Got them when I was young eh,” Brax put his board down in the sand. “So they are there now.”

“I see,” Charlie gave a nod of her head. “So, you not at work today?”

“Nah, remember I told you I was working dinner shift today.” Brax said as he looked down to Grace who had crouched down and was running her finger in circles around the damp sand at the water’s edge.

“Oh yes,” Charlie answered, but of course, she couldn’t remember. She was so nervous about the fact she’d asked him on a date that everything after that was a bit of a blur. “You still okay for Friday then?”

“Yes,” Brax nodded, seeing the nerves on Charlie’s face. “Are we just doing drinks or did you want to eat dinner as well?”

“Ehm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. Drinks with a guy was one thing, but dinner too. She bit her bottom lip before looking down to Grace who was getting her hands covered in the damp sand. “I think just drinks if enough for ehm...” Charlie trailed off.

“That’s fine,” Brax cut in. He knew it must be hard for Charlie getting back into dating so he wanted to make her feel as comfortable as possible. “Do you want to go to Angelo’s or is there anywhere else you had in mind?”

“Uhm....I think that little bar down Hayward Street in Yabbie Creek?” Charlie said. “It’s a nice quiet little place. If it was okay with you we could go there?”

“Yeah of course,” Brax gave a nod. “I’ll pick you up around 8 then?”

“That’s fine,” Charlie gave him a smile. “Eh, I’ll let you get your surf. Get this little monkey in for a swim.”

“Ah yeah, you like swimming do you?” Brax looked back down to Grace. She stared up at him as she stood up, wiping her sand covered hands on her swimming costume. She gave a nod as she grabbed onto Charlie’s hand.

“Well I guess I’ll see you tomorrow night,” Charlie said, giving Brax a smile. “Enjoy your surf.”

“Yeah eh, have a nice swim.” Brax returned the smile and watched as Charlie and Grace walked off into the water. His smile grew larger as he picked up his surf board, looking forward to the next night and what he hoped was the first of many dates with Charlie.

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled as Nina handed her the beer. They were at another house party of one of Dave’s friends.

“So, Xavier didn’t want to come?” Nina questioned. She’d asked Ruby to ask Xavier along, but he didn’t come with her.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “He doesn’t think you’ll be his kind of people.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Nina asked.

“Well he’s a trainee cop and you guys....” Ruby trailed off. “I think it’s best anyways. You know considering....” Ruby held the joint up before taking a puff.

“Oh c’mon so he’s never even tried it?” Nina said taking the joint from Ruby and having a draw.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “And as far as he is aware I only did it that one time, so...” Ruby took a swig of the beer. “Anyways, it’s probably good we are making different friends. We don’t want to be together 24/7,” Ruby exhaled. “We need some time apart from each other.”

“I guess,” Nina exhaled as she looked up to see Andy walking over to them. “Well I’m going to go find Dave,” Nina stood up and handed the joint back to Ruby. “Remember what I said about him.” Nina whispered before she left Ruby with Andy. Ruby exhaled thinking Nina couldn’t be that worried if she’d left them alone together.

“You alright today?” Andy asked.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Sorry about the other night I was just.....I was having a bad day.”

“I see,” Andy gave a little nod. “So, you having fun tonight?” Andy asked.

“Yeah it’s all been good so far,” Ruby answered. “You?” Ruby took a puff of the joint.

“Yeah,” Andy gave a nod. “Will be better if it was a bit livelier though eh,” Andy gave a little laugh, taking the joint from Ruby a taking a big draw. “It’s quiet.”

“Well we do have school tomorrow,” Ruby answered. “Maybe people want to do well in their classes.”

Andy gave a little laugh. “The first month is usually party central then when the hard work starts it dies down.”

“And you know this because?” Ruby questioned. “You’re only a first year yourself.”

“I have an older brother though,” Andy said. “And older cousins who tell me stuff. Although my brother and one of my cousins are the world’s biggest geeks so would probably be in bed by 9pm every school night.” Andy laughed.

“So you’re brother isn’t a stoner like you?” Ruby took the joint back and had a smoke.

“Says the girl smoking a joint,” Andy laughed before taking a swig of his beer. “But no, it’s safe to say he most definitely isn’t into drugs.”

“I see,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked around to see it was getting quieter and quieter. “I guess party is a bit of a flop though,” Ruby exhaled. “It’s pretty dead.”

“Yeah,” Andy replied. “You want to get out of here?” He suggested.

“And what do you suppose we do?” Ruby questioned as she looked up to him, seeing a glint in his dark brown eyes. Andy flicked his hair from his face before reaching into his pocket, pulling out a little bag with some pills in. Ruby widened her eyes before pursing her lips together.

“Want to come back to my place? Make our own party?” Andy questioned. Ruby bit her lip as she gave a little nod of her head.

“Sure,” Ruby stood up and put her half finished beer on a table. She put the joint in her mouth as she grabbed her bag. “Let’s go.” Ruby said and she and Andy left the party, Andy taking her hand in his as they made their way back to his place.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much beebee, Spotd1, Freakie42, Sarah, Sabrina and RoRo90 for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-one

Ruby and Andy were sitting in his room, watching Peppa Pig on his laptop. “You are right,” Andy laughed. “This show is amazing,” Andy pointed to the screen, still laughing.”They’re talking pigs.”

“Told you it was good,” Ruby giggled. “A show about talking pigs, how can it not be?” Andy and Ruby had both taken an E when they got back to Andy’s place, today’s effects seemingly making them hysterically happy.

“Your little sister is a legend for introducing you to this show,” Andy said. “I could watch it all night.” Andy’s eyes were fixed on his laptop as Peppa was dancing around in a tutu.

“In that case you need to watch the one when they go swimming,” Ruby said. “George’s first time in the water, love that one.” Ruby told him as she flung her hand in front of her face a few times.

“That is the next one we will watch then,” Andy said before looking down at Ruby. “What you doing?”

“There was a blob,” Ruby answered having a hallucination from the E. She looked to him before she gave a giggle as she sat her pinkie finger in the middle of his chin. “You’re so cute.” Ruby cooed.

“Thanks,” Andy laughed. “You are cute too. Extremely.” Andy said, putting his hand on the back of her head, softly rubbing her hair.

“You know what else I think?” Ruby questioned.

“What?” Andy asked.

“You have really pretty eyes,” Ruby gave a sort of giggle. “They are so so so brown and like....yeah.” Ruby said, moving her hand up his face so it was resting on his cheek.

Andy smiled before leaning down and placing a soft kiss onto Ruby’s lips. She smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other, the laptop crashing to the ground but none of them caring. They were too wrapped up in the moment. They continued to let the kiss become more passionate before they started pulling at each other clothes as they lay down in the bed, Andy straddling over Ruby as he removed her dress from her body.

Charlie was walking through to her bed when she saw Grace walking sleepily out of her bedroom, Lola safely in her arms. “Hey monkey what are you doing up?” Charlie said as she bent down to her daughter’s level and patted down her bed hair.

“I open eyes.” Grace answered.

“Yup,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “C’mon mummy will take you back to bed.” Charlie stood up as she held her hand out for Grace to take.

“No mummy.” Grace shook her head before she ran down the hall and into Charlie’s room. Charlie walked into her room to find her daughter climbing up on her bed.

“Oh and what’s this?” Charlie questioned as she walked across the room and sat down on her bed.

“I ere,” Grace hit her hand against the pillow as she got herself comfy. “And Lola.” Grace cuddled her beloved ragdoll close to her.

“Eh this is mummy’s bed,” Charlie said as she leaned forward and ran her hand through her daughter’s hair. “You need to sleep in your own bed like a big girl.” Charlie was surprised that Grace wanted to sleep in her bed. She’d always been a great sleeper and even when she’d been moved from a cot to a bed she’d only had one night in with Charlie and then took to sleeping in her own bed.

“One mummy,” Grace held one finger up. “Sleep ere.” Grace hit her hand against the mattress.

“Hmm okay,” Charlie gave a little smile. “Just the one night, right?”

“Uh-huh.” Grace answered as Charlie got into bed next to her daughter, Grace moving along in the bed so she was closer to her. Charlie wrapped her arms around Grace as she cuddled into her.

“So did you enjoy your day at the beach?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Grace answered. “Water fun.”

“It is, isn’t it?” Charlie said.

“Yeah,” Grace exhaled. “He no me lollipop.” Grace furrowed her eyebrows as Charlie pulled back to looked down to her, Grace with a serious scowl on her face.

“What do you....” Charlie trailed off. She knew Grace had referred to Brax as the lollipop man and she had seen him at the beach that day, so figured that’s what she was talking about. “Well no sweetheart, because we didn’t go to the restaurant today.”

“We see’d im.” Grace said, moving hair from in front of her face.

“Yeah we did,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Pretty sure he won’t carry around lollipops to give to little kids though. People might think he’s a bit creepy.” Charlie said her thoughts out loud.

“Huh?” Grace scrunched her nose up.

“How about we go to the restaurant tomorrow and I’m sure Brax will give you a lollipop?”

“Red one,” Grace’s eyes lit up. “An pizza.”

“Oh you want lunch there do you?” Charlie questioned and Grace gave a nod. “Right, well if you get to sleep now mummy will think about taking you okay?” Charlie said and Grace smiled.

“Love you mummy.” Grace leaned her head up and gave her mother a kiss.

“I love you too monkey.” Charlie pulled her daughter closer to her and placed a kiss on her forehead before they both closed their eyes to sleep.

Ruby walked into the apartment, her hand rubbing the side of her aching head. She walked down the hall and into the bedroom, seeing Xavier was already up, the bed having been made. She threw her shoes down close to the wardrobe before she picked up her sweats and singlet from the chair and changed out of her dress. “Oh you are home.” Xavier walked into the bedroom, a towel wrapped around the lower half of his body as little drops of water were still visible on his chest.

“Sorry,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she felt herself welling up, guilt creeping into her at having cheated on Xavier. “I eh...it was a late night and I....I crashed at Nina’s.”

“You could have let me know,” Xavier pursed his lips together. “I was worried.”

“Sorry,” Ruby said again, opening her bag and pulling out her phone. “It ran out of battery.”

“Right,” Xavier gave a curt nod. “Well when it comes back on you’ll have some texts and calls from me,” Xavier clicked his tongue. “Judging by the state you look today I’ll say it was a good night.”

“It was...okay.” Ruby pursed her lips together before looking down, to ashamed to look him in the eye.

“You best get a shower had you not?” Xavier questioned. “You’ll be late for uni.”

“I’m not going in today,” Ruby shook her head which proved a mistake as it really hurt to do so. “I’m going back to bed.”

“Right.” Xavier exhaled and Ruby knew he was mad with her.

“Look Xav, I’m sorry for not coming home last night and for not letting you know where I was, but, I’m okay and I promise it won’t happen again.” Ruby said as she looked back up to him, Xavier unaware that the won’t happen again part was referring to more than just not letting him know where she was.

“Okay.” Xavier didn’t sound like he believed her. He took the towel from his body and put on some boxer shorts before walking over to the wardrobe and put on his uniform.

“So, how was your night?” Ruby questioned.

“Fine,” Xavier answered. “I called my mum and then watched some of The Big Bang Theory before going to bed.” Xavier exhaled as he buttoned up his shirt.

“Bet your mum liked hearing from you.” Ruby smiled.

“Yeah I’m sure she did,” Xavier said walking back across the room and sitting down on the edge of the bed to put his boots on. “Do you have the key to our mail box?” Xavier questioned. “I’ll check it on the way out.”

“Eh it’s in my bag,” Ruby answered. “Where’s your key?”

“It snapped, remember,” Xavier said. “I’ll get another one cut today.” Xavier pulled Ruby’s bag closer to him and opened it, pulling out the key. His mouth opened in shock as a little bag fell out of her bag with a few already rolled up joints in it. “What the hell is this?” Xavier raised his voice at his girlfriend.

“S***, I forgot they were there.” Ruby mumbled.

“Ruby what are you doing with these?” Xavier questioned. “You promised me you wouldn’t smoke again.”

“I...I....” Ruby paused as she rubbed her sore head. “I was given them at the party last night and I didn’t want them so I...I just threw them in my bag and I forgot about them,” Ruby lied. Truth was she was given them by Andy after asking him for a few. “I swear Xavier.”

“Right I’ll just take them with me then,” Xavier said. ”Destroy them.”

“No,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Don’t do that. I’ll just give them back to Andy. He’ll give them to someone who wants them.”

“So you’ll deal now?” Xavier questioned.

“Don’t be stupid. I’d hardly be a dealer. I wouldn’t be getting any money,” Ruby said. “Give them back to me.” Ruby held her hand out but Xavier shook his head, stuffing them into his pocket. Ruby sighed wishing she still had the joints to smoke them herself. When she smoked the pot, it didn’t seem to hurt as much that Angelo was gone.

“I’ll see you later.” Xavier spat before walking out of the room. Ruby lay back on the bed as she sighed. A tear rolled down her cheek as she replayed the previous night in her head. Andy kissing and caressing her as she did the same to him. She loved Xavier more than anything and seeing him proved that for her. She hated herself for what she’d done to him and even more so for taking ecstasy. She ran her hand over her eyes, wiping away the tears before curling up into a ball, the tears still managing to fall from her eyes.

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-two

Ruby struck the match, resulting in a little orange flame. She lit the candles before shaking the matchstick in her hand, putting it out. She put the box of matches back in the drawer before discarding the used matchstick into the bin. She looked up to the clock in the kitchen and saw it was 5.45, which meant Xavier would be home any minute now. She checked on the lasagne that was in the oven before taking a deep breath as she patted her dress down. She walked over to the table and put her hands onto the box that was wrapped up – a gift she’d bought Xavier – and felt a nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach as she heard the door opening. “Hey, how was your day?” Ruby walked quickly over to Xavier and leaned up on her tiptoes, placing a soft kiss on his cheek. Xavier looked down to her before he looked beyond her, seeing the table set all nicely, the candles burning and the bottle of chilled wine at the end of the table. He gave a little snigger as he shook his head, walking down to the bedroom to change out of his uniform. “So dinner is nearly ready,” Ruby followed him down the hall. “I made lasagne,” Ruby said. “Your favourite,” Ruby watched as Xavier unbuttoned his shirt. “Look,” Ruby exhaled. “I get your mad at me for not coming home last night but -”

“It’s not about that,” Xavier shook his head. “Yeah I was worried but you are clearly safe,” Xavier threw his shirt into the laundry basket before grabbing a t-shirt from his drawer. “It’s the joints I found Rubes,” Xavier sat on the edge of the bed and took his boots and socks off. “I’m going to ask you a question and I want an honest answer.”

“Okay.” Ruby pursed her lips together, knowing what he was going to ask.

“How more many joints have you smoked since that first night?” Xavier asked, standing up from the bed and walking over to the wardrobe, pulling out a pair of shorts and putting them on.

Ruby bowed her head down. She gave a little shrug before exhaling. “I’m not sure. Four maybe five.”

“Why are you doing this, Rubes?” Xavier asked. “This isn’t my Ruby.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby felt a tear stinging her eye. “I just....since being here I’ve thought about dad a lot more and it just seems to help with the pain.” Ruby let a tear escape her eye as she looked back up to Xavier.

He exhaled lightly as he stepped closer to her and pulled her closer to him, resting his arms on her back, rubbing it lightly. “You don’t need to turn to drugs. Talk to me about him.” Xavier decided he couldn’t get mad, not when she was crying for her dead father.

“Sometimes it doesn’t help,” Ruby answered. “I thought by smoking pot it would stop the hurt.”

“And does it?” Xavier pulled back as he looked into her eyes.

“For that moment yes,” Ruby answered. “But then it wears off and....” Ruby trailed off as she shook her head. “The pain is back again.”

“Babe,” Xavier exhaled. “Why the hell did you think turning to drugs would help?” Xavier softly rubbed her back. “It’s only going to make things worse,” Xavier said. “You can talk to me, you can always talk to me and if I can’t help then call your mum, but, Rubes, never, never think you need to turn to drugs as a form of help, it’ll only ever turn out to make things worse.”

“I know that now,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “I’m so sorry Xav, I’m so so so sorry, please don’t hate me.”

“I couldn’t ever hate you,” Xavier hugged her. “I love you so much Rubes.”

“I know,” Ruby bowed her head down, feel guilty. She didn’t deserve his love. Of course she loved him but she couldn’t say it, not after what she’d done. He’d be extremely disappointed in her for taking an E and then there was the sleeping with Andy. “But I can’t talk to my mum. I always need to be strong for her.”

“Rubes, you’re entitled to grieve too,” Xavier said. “Your mum would understand that,” Xavier placed a soft kiss on her temple. “Now, I won’t tell your mum about the pot smoking, but you need to promise me that you won’t ever do it again,” Xavier said. “Maybe it’s best if you stopped hanging out with those friends you made.”

“So you want me to go back to having no friends?” Ruby questioned, avoiding the pot smoking remark for now.

“Of course not,” Xavier said. “But they are not the kind of friends you want,” Xavier exhaled. “And they are not the only people in your class so I’m sure you’ll find you fit in with one of the groups,” Xavier gave her a smile as he rubbed her arm. “What do you say?”

Ruby gave a little nod. “I’ll try.” Ruby told him.

“Good,” Xavier smiled. “Now, how about we go eat dinner then you call your mum and I’m sure she’ll talk to you about Angelo.”

“Not over the phone,” Ruby shook her head. “But I will talk to her,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Now, you want to see the present I got you?” Ruby managed a little smile as Xavier looked lovingly down at her.

“You got me a present?” Xavier’s eyes widened. “Why, it’s not my birthday and it’s not an anniversary, is it?” Xavier suddenly looked unsure.

“No,” Ruby answered. “I just thought you deserved something.”

“Ohh,” Xavier gave a smile as he raised his eyebrows. “Well let’s go see what it is then.” Xavier said excitedly before walking down the hall towards the kitchen. Ruby sighed as he she wiped away fresh tears that wanted to fall from her eyes before taking a deep breath and walking through to the kitchen to be with Xavier.

Charlie was running her hand up and down the stem of her glass. She and Brax were having their first drink at the pub, Charlie choosing wine and Brax having a bottle of beer. Brax saw Charlie’s other hand was playing with her necklace, the ring being held in her hand. “So, you have a nice lunch today?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Think Grace really appreciated the two lollipops you brought her, although her mummy certainly didn’t.”

“Sorry.” Brax pursed his lips together.

“It’s okay,” Charlie said. “Besides, she said and I quote ‘Lollipop man be nice.’”

“Ay she thinks I’m nice.” Brax gave a smile.

“Yeah I don’t get it either,” Charlie joked and Brax gave a little laugh. She took a drink of her wine before smiling. “Bear in mind she also told me in the same sentence that she liked the grass, so....” Charlie raised her eyebrows and Brax once again laugh.

“Well if this date goes well maybe we could go out the three of us one time,” Brax said and Charlie looked at him nervously. “We could go to the park. There’s lots of grass there eh,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little laugh. “But it is important that I win Grace over if we are going to be -”

“Brax,” Charlie cut in, stopping him from talking. “This is only our first date. I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. I’m not going to introduce Grace to you in that way for a long time. She doesn’t need to be confused.”

“Okay, sorry.” Brax took a swig of his beer.

“Besides, despite her shyness Grace won’t be a problem,” Charlie told him. “If you are to be worried about one of my daughters you should make it Ruby,” Charlie exhaled. “I can tell you now she won’t like this one bit.”

“I guess to an extent that’s understandable,” Brax answered. “She won’t want anyone coming in and replacing her father.”

“She most definitely does not,” Charlie answered. “Anyways, eh that’s probably not what you want to hear, so, maybe we should change the subject.”

“Okay, what do you want to talk about?” Brax questioned, glancing down to see Charlie playing with her wedding rings. He cleared his throat before taking a drink of his beer, thinking it was probably just a habit she had and she was bound to feel strange being out on her first date since the loss of her husband.

“Eh, tell me about yourself,” Charlie said. “You know, how was growing up?”

Brax gave a sort of snigger of sadness. “Not the best,” Brax shook his head. “My dad walked out on us when mum was still pregnant with Casey. Mum seemed to give up trying and spent what little money she did make on booze or the pokies. I spent my teens.....well doing stuff I probably shouldn’t admit to a police officer just so we could eat and not get chucked out on the street.” Brax looked a little ashamed of his early life.

“I’m sorry, doesn’t sound like an easy life,” Charlie sucked in her bottom lip. “Do you see your dad now or...”

Brax laughed. “Nah,” Brax shook his head. “He’s still long gone and my mum is still very much a fan of the booze and the pokies,” Brax ran his hand over the edge of the table. “What about you?” Brax questioned.

“Eh,” Charlie tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “It was a pretty good upbringing. Being an only child with an overly strict father sort of sucked, but, he was a police officer too and I guess he was just trying to protect me.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“Oh so Ruby was a result of a teen rebellion?” Brax questioned.

“Not quiet no,” Charlie answered. “Anyways, after Ruby came along my dad mellowed a little but then my mum died and he went back to being his uber strict self.”

“Sorry to hear about your mum,” Brax said. “Do you still see your dad?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He’s dead too. Apart from an aunt who now lives in Adelaide, my girls are my only family,” Charlie played with her necklace once again. “Unless you still count Angelo’s family as being a part of mines.” Charlie pursed her lips together before taking a drink of her wine.

“Oh, I see,” Brax felt sad for Charlie but at the same time, he liked the fact they had that in common. That they didn’t have much family. “So, what made you decide to be a police officer?” Brax questioned. “Was it something you wanted to do or was it more to please your father?”

“I wanted to make sure that people didn’t get away with the wrongs they did,” Charlie answered. “And I guess on some levels, yes, I did think it would give me more approval from my father,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “So, what made you get into the restaurant business?” Charlie ran her hand up and down the stem of her glass.

“Eh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “When I was 16 I took a part time job as a dishwasher at a diner and I guess I worked my way up from there.” Brax answered.

“I see,” Charlie said. “So, you didn’t have any crazy dreams as a child about being a rock star or an astronaut?”

Brax gave a little laugh before drinking the last of his beer. “I wanted to be a professional surfer,” Brax said. “I eh, did a few junior comps when I was young but my brothers needed me at home so...” Brax shrugged his shoulders. “I had to stop competing and look after them.”

“Seems like you did a lot for your brothers,” Charlie said. “Can’t believe Heath repaid you by sleeping with your fiancée.”

“Charming eh?” Brax sighed.

“That’s Heath.” Charlie rolled her eyes.

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled. “Anyways, can I get you another wine?” Brax questioned, pointing to Charlie’s glass. She gave a little nod before drinking the last mouthful. Brax smiled as he picked up her empty glass, their hands grazing together ever so slightly before he walked off the bar to get another round of drinks.

Thanks beebee, Spotd1, Freakie42 and pembie for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-three

Charlie and Brax were walking up the driveway to Charlie’s house. “So, thanks for seeing me home,” Charlie stopped walking at her door. “And thanks for tonight, it was good.” Charlie looked down as she tucked a loose stand of hair behind her ear.

“You’re welcome,” Brax gave her a smile as she looked back up to him. “I had a really good time.”

Charlie bit her bottom lip as they stared at each other silently for a moment. “So eh, I best get back in,” Charlie pointed to the door as she cleared her throat. “I’ll see you around.”

“Yeah,” Brax pursed his lips together. “Maybe we could have drinks again or maybe dinner sometime.”

“I eh,” Charlie paused for a moment. “I’ll let you know,” Charlie gave him a smile before leaning forward and placing a soft quick kiss on his cheek. “Goodnight Brax.”

“Goodnight Charlie.” Brax said as Charlie turned and opened the door to her house.

“Hey Marilyn.” Charlie greeted her with a smile.

“Oh hello,” Marilyn smiled as she looked around from watching TV. “How was your night?”

“It was....” Charlie exhaled as she sat down on the couch next to Marilyn. “He such a sweet guy but...” Charlie bit her lip. “I’m just not sure I’m ready for this.”

“Well letting go of Angelo is going to be a big deal,” Marilyn spoke softly. “And you’re giving it a go and the first date was bound to be the worst to get through so at least that’s over, right?” Marilyn gave Charlie’s arm a rub of comfort.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I think giving it a chance is what I need to do. You don’t know if you don’t try, right?”

“Exactly,” Marilyn agreed. “A few dates and if it still doesn’t feel right then you know it’s not time yet.”

“Yup,” Charlie clicked her tongue as she played with her wedding rings. “Anyways, I hope Grace was alright for you tonight.”

“Oh no problems,” Marilyn answered. “She’s slept through the whole night,” Marilyn said. “Probably isn’t even aware you’ve been out.” Marilyn gave a little laugh as she fixed her hair.

“Well thank you for watching her,” Charlie said as she and Marilyn stood up at the same time and began walking over to the door. “See you.”

“Bye.” Marilyn gave a little wave as she left the house. Charlie closed and locked the door before walking down the hall into Grace’s room. She knelt down by her bed, running her hand over her daughters head, watching her as she slept. She smiled as she saw Lola firmly grasped under her arm. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her daughter’s forehead before leaving her to sleep. She walked down the hall and into her bedroom, flinging her bag down on the dresser before taking off her heels, throwing them down near her wardrobe. She looked down to the picture on her bedside table and exhaled sadly as she saw Angelo’s smiling face. She lay down on the bed, bringing her hand out and placing it down on the side where Angelo used to sleep. She slowly moved her hand up and down the mattress a few times as she felt her eyes starting to sting with tears. She wiped her other hand across her eyes, pushing back the tears before taking a firm grip of her necklace.

“I love you.” Charlie whispered deciding she needed a few moments longer before she’d get up to get herself ready for bed.

“I still can’t believe you bought me an iPad.” Xavier grinned over breakfast.

“Well you cracked the screen on your other one and it was out of warranty so it would have cost heaps to fix so...” Ruby gave a little shrug, failing to tell Xavier the real reason she’d bought it was out of guilt for sleeping with Andy. “But I’d appreciate it if you didn’t tweet over breakfast.”

Xavier exhaled as he put the iPad down and reached picked up his spoon. “You’re a great girlfriend, thank you so much,” Xavier grinned before taking a spoonful of cereal. “I’ll need to thank you after breakfast.” Xavier said as he raised his eyebrows.

“No need,” Ruby answered. “You thanked me enough last night.” Ruby gave him a smile. After dinner they’d went straight to bed, Xavier wanting to show Ruby just how thankful he was.

“You did see my eyebrow raising, right?” Xavier once again raised his eyebrows. “I was thinking we could share the shower...” Xavier grinned suggestively. “Then I’m going to take you shopping. It’s only fair I return this gesture.” Xavier said as he pointed to the iPad.

“No it’s really not.” Ruby mumbled.

“Ah c’mon, you are amazing and I want to show you how much I love you,” Xavier said. “And you’ve been feeling down about your dad and I want to make it up to you for not realising that.”

“I hid it well,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Really, Xav, you don’t need to buy me anything.”

“Babe, I do,” Xavier sighed. “You’re amazing and -”

“I’m not that amazing,” Ruby chocked up. “Not amazing at all,” Ruby shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I’m so sorry Xavier. It was a stupid stupid mistake,” Ruby cried. “I love you so much and....” Ruby trailed off.

“Ruby what are you talking about?” Xavier sounded panicked. “The pot smoking? That’s okay, we’ve sorted that, right?”

“It’s not about the pot smoking,” Ruby sniffed back. “I...I...I took an E last night.” Ruby bowed her head down, embarrassed with her behaviour.

“You what?” Xavier yelled as he stood up from the table.

“It’s not the only thing,” Ruby cried. “I slept with Andy. I’m so sorry. It was just a stupid mistake and I love you so much and -”

“Get out.” Xavier yelled.

“No Xav, please just -”

“I said get out.” Xavier yelled as he grabbed Ruby by the arm, dragging her to the door.

“Ouch,” Ruby moaned. “You are hurting me.”

“Yeah?” Xavier squeezed her arm a little tighter. “Not as much as you’ve hurt me. Now get out.” Xavier opened the door and pushed her out into the hall.

“Xavier,” Ruby exhaled. “Let’s just talk about this,” Ruby tried to open the door, but Xavier had already turned the lock, locking her out of the apartment. “Xav, I’m in my pyjamas,” Ruby banged on the door. “Xavier, please.” Ruby cried as she gave the door another bang. Her tears became heavier as she slumped down and leaned against the door as tears streamed down her face.

Thank you Sarah, RoRo90, Freakie42 and Spotd1 for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-four

Grace and Lucy were sitting silently, happily munching on their pieces of chocolate cake as their mothers talked over coffee in the diner. “So how are things going back home?” Charlie questioned as she put some sugar into her cup.

“Fine.” Bianca answered shortly.

“That’s all you have to say?” Charlie stirred her cup as she looked questioningly to her friend.

“They shouted.” Lucy said before putting a big piece of cake into her mouth.

“Oh.” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“It was nothing,” Bianca shook her head. “Just a stupid little argument. Things aren’t going to be perfect right away,” Bianca bit her lip. “I still love him and we’ll get over this little bump.”

“I’m sure you will.” Charlie smiled encouragingly before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Yeah, so enough about me,” Bianca said. “You need to tell me about your date last night, how did it go?” Bianca raised her eyebrows as she saw a little smile forming on Charlie’s face.

“It was good,” Charlie replied. “I had a good time.”

“Ahh and was there any goodnight kiss?” Bianca questioned.

“Nope. No kiss.” Charlie answered before pursing her lips together.

“Not even a quick peck?” Bianca asked, a little surprised.

“Well yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “I kissed him on the cheek, but, I dunno, I....I did have a good time, but...” Charlie trailed off and watched as Grace had decided that the fork was slowing her down so she was using her hand to break of pieces of the cake, getting her hand all chocolate covered in the process. She shook her head in amusement before looking back to Bianca. “It was weird.”

“Good weird?” Bianca wondered.

“Is there such a thing as good weird?” Charlie scrunched her face up. “I felt strange being out and having a good time with someone who wasn’t Angelo,” Charlie admitted. “So thinking about kissing or anything else is going to take some time.”

“But you are open for it to happen?” Bianca questioned.

“Maybe,” Charlie gave a little shrug. “I...I’m trying aren’t I so I guess on some levels, yes, one day I’d like to be in a relationship with someone.”

“Well of course it’s going to be hard thinking about doing that with someone else,” Bianca spoke softly. “And no one is saying you need to go do it with him right now,” Bianca said. “You can take things at a pace that you are comfortable with.”

“I know, I just -” Charlie stopped talking as her mobile phone started to ring. She looked to the screen and was slightly surprised to see Carla was calling her. “Hello.....Ruby’s what?.....is she okay?” Charlie pursed her lips together as she listened to Carla’s response. “She wants me to what?......Oh Carla I can’t.....” Charlie was cut off by Carla talking over her. “Right,” Charlie rubbed her forehead. “Okay, I’ll get there as soon as I can.” Charlie stood up from chair as Bianca looked to her, confused.

“Is everything okay?” Bianca questioned.

“I’m not sure,” Charlie answered. “She said Ruby has turned up to her place all upset. She wouldn’t tell her what was wrong but she seemed to be in an awful state. I mean she turned up in her pyjamas. Said she’ll only talk if I go to her so Carla called me.” Charlie ran her hand over her forehead. “I’m going to have to go to Melbourne.”

“Oh okay eh,” Bianca watched as Charlie took Grace’s chocolaty hand and she jumped down from the chair. “Grace can stay here if you want,” Bianca said. “I’ll watch her.”

Charlie bit her lip, considering this. “Eh, you don’t mind?”

“No not at all,” Bianca said. “And if Grace is around me and Heath are more likely not to yell at each other.”

“I don’t want you using my daughter as a -”

“No, I don’t mean it like that,” Bianca cut in. “I just meant....” Bianca trailed off. “Look Grace will be fine here with me and Lucy isn’t that right?” Bianca looked down at Grace and gave her a smile.

“No,” Grace shook her head. “I go Uby too.”

Charlie exhaled as she bent down to her daughter’s level and rubbed her chocolate stained cheek. “You stay here with Bee and Lucy, okay. Mummy will call you later.” Charlie kissed her daughter before standing back up.

“You want me to drive you to the airport?” Bianca questioned.

“No no it’s fine, I'll get myself there.” Charlie said before she left the diner in a hurry, worried about Ruby as the phone call with Carla didn’t sound too good.

Bianca ran up the stairs to the restaurant, chasing after Grace as Lucy ran up behind her mother. “Grace come here,” Bianca ran through the restaurant, that was empty due to them being between the lunch and dinner shift. “Grace.”

“Hey what you doing running off from Bianca?” Brax questioned as she appeared behind the bar. Grace sucked in her bottom lip as she pointed up to the tub on the shelf. “Ah I see,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I’m not sure little girls who run away are allowed lollipops, what do you think, Bianca?” Brax questioned as he looked up to her to see she was standing at the bar, lifting Lucy up onto the stool.

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “You don’t run away from me like that, okay?” Bianca tried to sound as stern as she could, letting Grace know what she did was wrong.

“I lollipop, Bee.” Grace sighed as she once again pointed to the jar of lollipops on the shelf.

“No, you are not getting a lollipop.” Bianca shook her head as she walked around the bar and took Grace’s hand, pulling her back around to the bar front. Grace bowed her head down sadly.

“Want mummy.” Grace pouted.

“You can't get your mummy sweetheart.” Bianca told her as she cupped her cheek with her hand, lifting her head up to face her again.

“Want mummy.” Grace stomped her foot on the ground.

“I’m sorry sweetie but you can’t get mummy,” Bianca repeated. “She had to go to Melbourne to see Ruby.”

“Oh, is everything okay?” Brax sounded concerned.

“I don’t know,” Bianca replied, keeping her gaze on Grace. “C’mon we’ll go back to my house and you and Lucy can play with the play dough, how does that sound?”

Grace shook her head as Lucy squealed. “Yeah yeah.” Lucy clenched her fists and shook them in excitement.

“Want mummy.” Grace said.

Bianca looked down to her watch and exhaled. With any luck Charlie would have found room on a flight out pretty quickly and would be in the air by now or could even be in Melbourne, but there was always a chance she was still waiting at the airport. “How about when we go home I’ll phone your mummy and see if she can talk?”

“Uh-huh.” Grace smiled, showing a set of lovely white teeth.

“Okay, and what do you say for running away from Bianca?” Bianca questioned.

“Sorry,” Grace gave a sad pout as she gave Bianca puppy dog eyes. “I no again.” Grace said as she wrapped her arms around Bianca, giving her a hug.

“Good,” Bianca exhaled as she stood back up, before looking to Brax. “Give me two lollies.” Bianca said and Brax gave a little nod before reaching for the jar and handing Bianca two lollipops.

“Thank you.” Grace said as she took the red lollipop from Bianca’s hand before she ran over to the booth, Lucy taking the orange lollipop from her mother before Bianca lifted her down from the seat and she ran across to sit with Grace.

“Look, I eh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I wanted to say sorry to you for telling you about Heath the way I did and....well I’m sorry if I’ve caused a rift between you two.”

“It’s nothing that won’t fix,” Bianca tucked her hair behind her ear. “But probably not the best way to have gone about it.” Bianca pursed her lips together as she looked down.

“No,” Brax cleared his throat. “Like I said I am sorry and I hope things turn out okay.”

“Well apology accepted,” Bianca said. “And I’m sorry too.”

“What do you have to be sorry for?” Brax questioned, watching the girls from the corner of his eye, seeing them concentrating greatly on trying to get into their lollipops.

“Things I thought about you. Things I may have said about you when I thought you were a fiancée stealing....” Bianca raised her eyebrows as she trailed off. “But yeah, you’re actually a pretty nice guy, so...yeah.”

“Well thanks,” Brax smiled at the compliment, seeing that he and his sister-in-law could get on well. “Cute little kid you have as well,” Brax smiled as he gestured over at Lucy who was still concentrating hard on getting the paper from the lollipop. “Which is a surprise considering she looks like Heath.”

Bianca gave a little laugh. “Will you ever forgive him?”

“Well it was a long time ago and....” Brax trailed off. “I think so. It’s time to build bridges, right?”

“That’s up to you and Heath,” Bianca exhaled. “But it would be nice. Especially if things with you and Charlie go well. We could double date.”

Brax gave a nervous laugh. “I don’t know if she’s that into me, to be honest.” Brax sighed.

“She likes you, Brax,” Bianca told him. “It’s just going to take time, you know, after what happened with Angelo and getting back into dating,” Bianca said. “Don’t give up on her,” Bianca gave him a smile before turning around and looking as the girls were starting to look frustrated that they couldn’t get into the lollipops. “I better go help these two,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “See you around.” Bianca told him before walking over to the girls to help them with their lollipops.

Thank you beebee, RoRo90 and Sarah for the comments. Feel free to check out my new fiction Follow Your Heart :)

Twenty-Five

Charlie rang the doorbell of her mother-in-laws house. It was getting dusky out and there was a slight chill in the air. She took a deep breath as the door opened and she saw Carla at the other side. “Charlie, come in.” Carla gave her a smile and Charlie walked into the house, stopping in the hallway as she realised this was the first time she’d set foot in the house which Angelo had grew up in since his death.

“Where’s Rubes?” Charlie questioned. “Have you managed to get her to talk yet?”

“She’s in Angelo’s room,” Carla pursed her lips together. “She won’t talk. I’ve gone in a few times, sat with her for a while, but,” Carla shook her head. “Nothing.”

“I’ll go up then,” Charlie said and Carla gave a nod, leaving Charlie to go see her daughter. As Charlie walked up the stairs, she stopped as there was a photo of Angelo in his police uniform, taken the day he’d become an officer. She ran her hand over the picture before she pursed her lips together and walked up the rest of the stairs, stopping outside Angelo’s room. She took another deep breath before she knocked on the door. “Rubes sweetie it’s me,” Charlie said softly. After a moment with no reply, she walked into the room, seeing Ruby lying on the bed in the foetal position, her cheeks tearstained. She walked over to the bed and sat down next to her daughter, putting her hand onto her back and rubbing it gently. “What’s happened?” Charlie questioned. Ruby looked up to her mother, wiping her hand across her eyes. She pushed herself up on the bed so she was sitting.

“I’ve screwed up,” Ruby answered as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I’ve screwed everything up.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad,” Charlie said. “Why don’t you tell me what’s wrong?”

“I eh...” Ruby paused as she played with her bracelet. “I wasn’t really making friends,” Ruby started. “I don’t know why but for some reason, I was....I was struggling,” Ruby paused before clicking her tongue. “Xav and I went out one night and we saw people from my class. Maybe the drink helped, I dunno, but we got talking and I started hanging out with them.”

“Okay, so, so far you’ve made friends,” Charlie looked a little confused. “What’s bad about that?” Charlie tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear.

“They uhm....” Ruby took a deep breath. “They smoke pot.” Ruby spoke tentatively. She knew her mother wouldn’t be pleased about this and more importantly she knew how disappointed she would be in her.

“Rubes,” Charlie widened her eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’ve -”

“I have,” Ruby cried. “I’ve been smoking pot. I’m so sorry mum, I really am but I just....” Ruby wiped the tears from her eyes as she noticed the look on her mother’s face. She looked so disappointed in her.

“How could you be so stupid?” Charlie questioned, her tone angry. “Ruby I can’t believe you could be so stupid.” Charlie raised her voice, her anger growing.

“That’s not the worst,” Ruby looked away from her mother. “I did something even more stupid then I cheated on Xavier.” Ruby’s voice broke as more tears fell from her eyes.

“So the pot smoking and cheating on your boyfriend wasn’t the stupid thing?” Charlie sounded confused. “I’m scared to ask you, Rubes,” Charlie looked at her questioningly, waiting for answers. Ruby looked back up to her mother as she pursed her lips together. Charlie already looked extremely disappointed with her and she hadn’t even told her about the E yet. “Well I’m waiting.” Charlie’s voice was loud and angry.

“I took an E,” Ruby cried and Charlie opened her mouth gobsmacked at her daughter’s revelation. Charlie stood up from the bed and took a few steps back, leaning herself against the wall. “Say something.” Ruby said as she stood up from the bed.

“You took....I....” Charlie paused. “I have never ever been more ashamed and disappointed in you in all my life,” Charlie looked disgusted in her daughter. Ruby bowed her head down. She’s expected a lecture on drug taking and its effects, but this, this was worse. Knowing how much she’d disappointed her mother. “What the hell were you thinking Ruby?”

“I’m so sorry,” Ruby cried. “I wasn’t. I wasn’t thinking at all. I just wanted it to stop. I wanted the hurt to stop.” Ruby said as she slumped to the ground in tears.

“What hurt?” Charlie questioned.

“Dad,” Ruby cried. “Being here in his home town, I....I couldn’t stop thinking about him and it hurt and -”

“And you thought drugs would be the solution?” Charlie screwed her face up. “Ruby drugs are never the solution. Never.”

“I know that now.” Ruby cried.

“If you were getting upset about your dad then you could have talked to me.” Charlie said keeping her distance from her daughter. She was still too disgusted in the fact she’d taken drugs to comfort her.

“No, no I couldn’t,” Ruby looked up to Charlie. “I’ve never had the chance to grieve for him.” Ruby raised her voice, this time her turn to show anger.

“Oh don’t be so ridiculous, of course you have.” Charlie spat.

“No I did not,” Ruby yelled. “The first time you bothered to get up and dressed was for his funeral and I had to do most of the planning for that,” Ruby said. “Me,” Ruby hit her chest with her index finger as she stood up. “Not you, you cried and cried in your bed. The funeral arrangements and Grace, she was left to me and Bianca too,” Ruby yelled, finally getting her frustrations out. “For months I had to put my grief to the side because you needed help. You’re husband had died, you’d lost your best friend, the love of your life, you were devastated, but what about me?” Ruby yelled. “He was my father and I loved him and you never gave me the chance to grieve.” Ruby seethed as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Charlie wiped a tear that was rolling down her cheek before stepping forward and pulling Ruby into a hug. “I’m so sorry,” Charlie whispered. “Please forgive me. I didn’t mean too. I am so sorry.” Charlie held her crying daughter in the embrace.

“I thought if I came here I’d feel closer to dad,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she pulled away from the hug. “I don’t,” Ruby looked down. “It made me feel worse.”

“So is this why you chose Melbourne?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded as she sat back down on the bed.

“Dad told me a few times about how he went to Melbourne uni for a year,” Ruby wiped her hand across her face. “But then quit for the police force,” Ruby exhaled. “He always said he regretted that and wished he’d finished uni and I told him I’d go to Melbourne and I’d complete it for him,” Ruby sniffed back. “He said he’d be so proud of me if I did that and after he died, I really had to keep that promise.”

“Well he wouldn’t be proud of this would he?” Charlie spat. “Pot’s bad enough but an E,” Charlie shook her head. “He’d be so disappointed.”

“I know,” Ruby cried. “So, what’s my punishment?”

“I think knowing how disappointed I am in you is enough,” Charlie answered and Ruby gave a little nod as she bowed her head down. “But, on another note, as long as you went to somewhere you were happy with, your dad would have been proud,” Charlie said as she put her hand onto Ruby’s back and rubbed it gently. “He was proud of you anyways, Rubes, uni or not.”

Ruby took a deep breath. “Do you think....I want to come home.” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“What about Xavier?” Charlie questioned.

“We’re finished,” Ruby spoke sadly. “I slept with someone else and I lied to him about the smoking. I promised him it was just the once and it wasn’t and the E...” Ruby exhaled. “I wouldn’t take me back so I don’t expect him too either.”

“Well if it’s what you want,” Charlie said. “But Ruby, if I so much as suspect you taking -”

“I won’t,” Ruby shook her head. “I promise you. I swear I don’t want to ever touch anything like that again. It didn’t help at all and it was....I promise, mum, please let me come home.” Ruby once again started to cry as she bowed her head down.

“Of course you can come home,” Charlie rubbed her daughters back. “And sweetheart, I’m so sorry about how you felt about being able to grieve.”

“You just....I had to be strong and -”

“Well you shouldn’t have,” Charlie sniffed back. “You love him too and it’s bound to be a hard time for you as well,” Charlie said. “I’m sorry I made you feel like that and anytime.....anytime you want to talk about your dad, laugh about your dad, have a little cry,” Charlie felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “You come to me and we’ll get through it together, okay?”

“It won’t upset you?” Ruby questioned.

“Maybe it will,” Charlie answered honestly. “But we’ll have each other there for support, yeah?” Charlie took a deep breath, trying to compose herself.

Ruby gave her a weak smile before leaning into her, resting her head on her chest. Charlie put her arm around her and ran her hand through her hair. “Can you do me a favour?”

“Hmm?” Charlie questioned.

“Go to my place and get my things so I can come home?” Ruby questioned. “I don’t really think I’ll be welcome and I’d rather not see Xav right now,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Knowing how disappointed you are in me is enough. I don’t need to see it on him too.”

“Sure, I’ll go.” Charlie answered before placing a kiss on her daughters head as she continued to run her hands through her hair.

Thanks for the comments.

Twenty-six

Charlie was folding Ruby’s clothes into her suitcase as Xavier walked into the bedroom. “You can give her this as well.” Xavier threw the iPad into the suitcase. Now he knew why Ruby bought it for him, he didn’t want it.

“So, you’re not willing to give her another chance?” Charlie questioned as she pulled some hangers out of the wardrobe with some dresses on. She lay them down on the bed, before picking up the first one, taking the dress off the hanger and folding it up.

“No,” Xavier shook his head. “She did drugs when she promised me she would stop, she slept with someone else.” Xavier sounded angry.

“You know if you called me after the first time this happened I could have stopped this.” Charlie told him.

Xavier sniggered. “So it’s my fault is it?”

“No,” Charlie put the dress into the case before picking up another one, taking it from the hanger and began folding it. “If anyone’s it my fault for -”

“No it’s Ruby’s fault,” Xavier’s voice raised. “She only has herself to blame here and I’m not about to go forgiving her as easily as that. She lied to me about her pot smoking, she took an E and she slept with someone else,” Xavier exhaled as he sat down on the edge of the bed. He rubbed his hand over his forehead. “We’re finished. I don’t want to be with someone who could do that to me.”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “That’s a shame because she really loves you.”

“Yeah she loves me so much that she went out got high and shagged another man to prove it to me eh,” Xavier stood up and made his way over to the door. “I’ll pack all her crap from the bathroom and get her DVD’s packed away too.” Xavier said before leaving the bedroom.

Charlie bit her lip as she put the last of Ruby’s clothes into the case. She turned around and saw a photo of Ruby and Xavier on Ruby’s bedside table. Picking it up, she smiled as she saw how happy they looked together. Even though Xavier and Ruby were only 15 when they first started going out, Charlie saw something special in them and really thought they’d be together for life. “Oh Rubes.” Charlie shook her head as she threw the picture into the case before zipping it shut. She pulled out the handle before leaning down and picking up the sports bag – also full of Ruby’s clothes – before walking down the hall, rolling the case behind her.

“I’m almost done.” Xavier said as he was looking through the DVD collection, throwing Ruby’s into the box that also had shampoo, lotions, perfumes and make-up bags in it.

“Xavier.” Charlie spoke softly, knowing he had a lump in his throat.

Xavier cleared his throat before looking up to Charlie. “What? Do you need me to help take the bags out to the car?” Charlie had Carla waiting on the street with Ruby. Once they’d collected her things she was going to drive them back to the airport. Charlie had called and there was space on the 9pm flight back to Sydney, so she’d booked them on there, before calling Bianca to say goodnight to Grace as it was 7.30 so she didn’t want to miss talking to her before Bianca put her down for the night.

“No, Carla should be up any minute to help,” Charlie said. “I just thought maybe you’d like to go say bye to Ruby?” Charlie wondered.

Xavier laughed as he threw seasons 1-5 of The Big Bang Theory into the box, Ruby still needing season 6 to complete her collection. “Nah, its fine,” Xavier said. “I said goodbye in my own way this morning.”

“So she doesn’t even get a chance to explain?” Charlie questioned, just as there was a knock at the door and Carla walked into the room.

“I’ll just grab these,” Carla picked up the sports bag before taking the handle of the suitcase. “Oh,” She moaned at the weight of them. “Good job the lift works in here.” Carla said before disappearing from the apartment, leaving Charlie and Xavier to talk, feeling she’d interrupted.

Xavier waited to make sure Carla had left before looking to Charlie. “Explain what exactly?” Xavier questioned. “How she smoked the joints? How good this other guy was in the sack? How it felt being high on an E? What was going though her mind as we were making love last night when she knew only the night before she was doing the very same thing with someone else?” Xavier trailed off suddenly remembering he was talking to her mother and she probably didn’t need to hear as much about her daughter’s sex life. “It’s over Charlie. She’s a drug taking cheat and I don’t want to talk to her ever again,” Xavier stood up as he lifted up the box, almost flinging it a Charlie. “That should be everything but if I find anything else she’ll get it when I’m home for Easter,” Xavier said. “I’m sure you can see yourself out.” Xavier said before walking down the hall, Charlie jumping in fright as she heard the bedroom door being slammed shut. She exhaled lightly before she left the apartment and made her way down the corridor to the lift, ready to go to the airport to fly back to Sydney with her daughter.

Charlie put the suitcase down in Ruby’s room as Ruby flung the sports bag down on the chair before putting the box down on the bed. She sighed as she looked up to her mother. “When you going to stop looking so disappointed in me?” Ruby questioned.

Charlie sniggered. “I don’t know.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she sat down on the edge of her bed, picking up a little green turtle teddy of Graces. “How did this get in here?”

“Grace likes to play in here sometimes,” Charlie told her. “I guess she left it here.”

“Bet she’ll be stoked I’m back,” Ruby smiled as she ran her hand over the teddy. “Maybe tomorrow we can go to the beach and have a family picnic.” Ruby suggested.

“I’m working and Grace is going to Marilyn’s.” Charlie told Ruby.

“Right eh,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “I guess I’ll catch up with April or something.”

“You have to call Melbourne uni and tell them you’re not going back and you also need to call Northern Districts and see if there is a space there for you.” Charlie told her daughter.

“But its Sunday tomorrow,” Ruby answered. “The offices won’t be open.”

“Right,” Charlie rubbed the back of her head. “Then you’ll do it first thing Monday morning.” Charlie told her and Ruby gave a little nod.

“Of course.” Ruby answered.

“Right, well it’s late so I’m going to go to bed.” Charlie said before she turned and walked out of the room, closing Ruby’s door behind her. Ruby slumped down as she sighed. There was no usual kiss goodnight, no sleep well or sweet dreams.

“Oh Tilly Turtle how silly have I been?” Ruby exhaled as she spoke to the teddy she was holding. “I screwed up, right? I love Xav so much but that’s it, we’re done. I’ve screwed up with him big time,” Ruby stopped talking as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “How did it all go so wrong so fast?” Ruby lay back on her bed, hugging Tilly Turtle close to her. “And then there’s mum. She’s so disappointed in me and dad will be looking down on me, he’ll be...” Ruby wiped a tear from her cheek. “I’m so sorry dad,” Ruby cried. “I don’t know how to make everything okay again.” Ruby spoke through the tears as she lay on the bed, wondering what she could do to fix everything that had gone wrong.

Thank for the comments. Freakie42, yes, Casey is not in the bay, but even if he was I wouldn’t have him in the story much or get Ruby and Casey together. I did not like them as a couple and don’t like Casey.

Twenty-seven

Grace gasped as she saw Ruby walking into the house. “Uby....Uby....Uby.” Grace screeched as she ran over to her sister and jumped up into her arms. “Wow,” Grace cuddled against her. “It’s Uby.” Grace said as she glanced at her mother briefly.

“Yeah it is,” Charlie answered. “Did you have fun with Bee and Lucy?” Charlie questioned and Grace nodded from her sisters arms. “And were you a good girl?” Grace once again nodded.

Charlie looked to Bianca, seeking an answer. “She was good.” Bianca smiled.

Charlie looked down as she felt Lucy pulling on her hand. “Mummy daddy shout.” Lucy put her hands over her ears before running across the room. Charlie raised her eyebrows before looking back to Bianca.

“Eh so Ruby,” Bianca looked to her. “You back for a visit?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m back for good,” Ruby put Grace down on the floor and she ran over to Charlie, Charlie lifting her up into a hug. “Took some drugs and shagged another bloke so Xav kicked me out.” Bianca opened her mouth in shock at what Ruby had told her.

“Ruby you -” Charlie started but Ruby cut her off.

“Well everyone was going to find out anyways, right?” Ruby sighed. “So go on, cast judgement.” Ruby said as she looked back to Bianca.

“Wow, eh...” Bianca rubbed the back of her head.

“Mummy what shagged?” Grace questioned her eyes all wide in wonderment.

“Ehm,” Charlie put Grace down to the floor. “You go play with Lucy right now and then you’re going to Marilyn’s okay?” Charlie questioned. “I think she was going to take you to the park today.” Charlie said hoping this would distract her from her question.

“The slide,” Grace did a jump before running back over to Ruby. “You take us.” Grace pulled on Ruby’s hand. “Lucy come.” Grace waved her friend over.

“I can’t take you to the park,” Ruby told her sister. “Mummy said you need to go to Marilyn’s today.”

“Outside.” Grace pulled on Ruby’s hand, Lucy pulling on her other hand, helping Grace out. Ruby looked to Charlie who gave a little nod before taking the girls out.

“Nice save,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “So, what’s this Ruby is saying?”

“Don’t,” Charlie shook her head as she took a seat on the couch, running her hand over her forehead. “I just can’t get my head around it.”

“I just can’t believe that of Rubes,” Bianca sat down, still a little gobsmacked. “Did she say why she did it?”

“Oh apparently that all comes down to me being a bitch of a widow who took up all the grieving rights so she needed to stay strong.” Charlie answered, playing with her necklace as she did so.

“I’m sure that’s not true,” Bianca said. “Of course Ruby’s been able to grieve too.”

“It is true,” Charlie said. “Rubes has been my rock and maybe I just put too much onto her. She’s so young and she lost her father,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s time I started acting like a mother again.”

“Aw c’mon, Charlie, you are still a mother,” Bianca told her. “I mean look at the way you dodged Grace’s question.” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Just like the way you quickly moved on from Lucy’s comment,” Charlie said. “You know if your kid is picking up on it -”

“I know, I know,” Bianca sighed. “It’s not good.”

“You think maybe you came back to quickly after the whole fiancée thing?” Charlie questioned. “Because that would kind of be my fault for pushing at you.”

“You didn’t push at me,” Bianca shook her head. “You were looking out for me. You didn’t want me to make a mistake,” Bianca gave her friend a smile. “And it’s just stupid little things that seem to set us off,” Bianca sighed. “Like last night I said I’d go bath the girls if he emptied the dishwasher and he said he would,” Bianca paused. “Fast forward to this morning and I open the dishwasher to put in the breakfast dishes and it’s not been emptied even though he’d told me he’d done it,” Bianca said. “I started yelling saying oh look at that you’ve lied again,” Bianca rubbed her forehead. “I just over reacted.”

“Yeah,” Charlie said. “You’ll need to leave this in the past. Forget about it and move on.”

“I know,” Bianca exhaled. “The stupid idiot got distracted by a footie game.” Bianca rolled her eyes.

“Thought you said Heath wasn’t an idiot?” Charlie remarked.

“I did, but sometimes he is,” Bianca answered and Charlie gave a little laugh. “So what’s Ruby going to do now she is back?” Bianca questioned. “Did she get kicked out of uni?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “But she’s going to transfer to Northern Districts if there is space on her course and if not she’s going to get a job.”

“Does she know she’s getting a job if she’s not at uni?” Bianca questioned.

“Not yet,” Charlie shook her head. “But she’s getting one.”

“Oh, good luck with that then,” Bianca widened her eyes. “Still, April will be stoked she’s back. She’s missed her.”

“I’m sure Ruby missed her too when she wasn’t smoking pot or taking E’s.” Charlie mumbled.

Bianca gasped as she put her hand over her mouth. “Jeeze Charlie, she took an E?” Bianca questioned. “I’d never have thought she’d do a thing like that.”

“Me either,” Charlie shook her head. “But as I said it all comes down to losing Angelo,” Charlie looked saddened. “You know I think...” Charlie gave a shrug as she trailed off.

“She’s finally getting her anger out?” Bianca questioned and Charlie pursed her lips as she gave a little nod.

“Anyways, I need to get Grace to Marilyn’s and get to work,” Charlie stood up from the couch. “Thanks for watching her.”

“No problem.” Bianca smiled as she walked her friend over to the door.

“I’ll return the favour. Take Lucy so you and Heath can have a night out, maybe it’s what you need,” Charlie said. “That is if you trust leaving her at my house with Ruby.” Charlie raised her eyebrows and Bianca could see how deeply disappoint in her daughter she was.

“She’s a good kid who made a mistake,” Bianca said. “She’s not going to do it again.” Bianca rubbed her friends arm.

“I hope not,” Charlie sighed. “Anyways, thanks again and I’ll see you later.” Charlie shouted on Grace and Ruby and they came back over to the car, Grace skipping as she held Ruby’s hand, looking extremely pleased that her sister was home.

Charlie walked up the stairs to the restaurant. She’d called in after her shift and ordered some pizza for dinner. “Charlie, hey,” Brax smiled as she stood at the bar. “How are you?”

“Glad to be finished work,” Charlie sighed as she sat down on the bar stool. “It’s been a long day.”

“Ah so this explains the pizza order?” Brax laughed. “Can’t be bothered with the cooking eh?” Brax said and Charlie laughed. “So, how’s Grace?”

“Good.” Charlie answered.

“And Rubes?” Brax questioned and Charlie looked to him confused. “Bianca was in yesterday and she mentioned you’d gone to Melbourne.”

“Oh I see,” Charlie answered. “She’s back home,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Stuff happened in Melbourne and she’s decided she wants to go to uni here, so...” Charlie exhaled.

“Ahh,” Brax gave a little nod. “You’ll like having her back though eh?”

“Yeah I suppose I will,” Charlie gave a weak smile. “So, anyways, what you doing at work? I thought you had today off?” Charlie looked a little confused, wondering if maybe she’d heard him wrong.

“Swapped shifts with Sean,” Brax told her. “So I’m in now but get tomorrow off instead.”

“Ah anything planned for your day off then?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a little smile, wondering if he was about to be asked on a date.

“Probably go for a surf at one point, but nothing really planned, no,” Brax answered. “How come?”

Charlie gave a little shrug. “Just making conversation till the pizza’s get here.” Charlie answered.

“I see,” Brax answered. “So, are you working tomorrow?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Monday is my day off.”

“So, we’re both not working,” Brax gave a little smile. “How about we do something together?” Brax questioned.

“Well I’d have Grace, so...” Charlie trailed off. It’s not like she didn’t want to go out with Brax, but she knew she still needed to talk to Ruby about it, and also, she was still a bit scared to take that leap.

“She can come too,” Brax gave a smile. “And Ruby.”

“I think it’s all a bit early for a family day out,” Charlie exhaled. “It’d only be our second date and....” Charlie took a deep breath.

“Okay so how about tomorrow night I take you out for dinner?” Brax questioned. “Ruby can watch Grace right?” Brax questioned.

“She could,” Charlie gave a nod, finding herself wanting to say yes, but also telling herself she’d need to talk to Ruby about t first. “Okay, ehm...we can do dinner tomorrow night.”

“Yeah?” Brax smiled. “Great, I’ll pick you up around 7?”

“Sounds good.” Charlie gave a little smile as a waiter came out with two pizza boxes.

“Meat feast and ham and pineapple for Rosetta.” The man said as he handed them to Brax before disappearing back into the kitchen. Charlie handed Brax some money before taking the pizza boxes from him.

“Well I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Brax smiled.

“Yeah.” Charlie bit her lip before getting down from the bar stool and leaving the restaurant, taking a deep breath, already feeling nervous, both for the date itself and for the conversation she needed to have with her eldest daughter.

Thank you Chax, Sabrina, Spotd1, beebee, RoRo90, Sarah, homeandaway13 and emmamurphy8 for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-eight

Grace was running around the house in a Snow White dress. “Right Grace, c’mon,” Charlie shouted from the bathroom door. “It’s your bath time.”

“No,” Grace shook her head as she ran past her mother in the hallway, jumping up on Ruby and sitting a green hat on her head, like the ones the dwarfs from the movie wore, although based on the fact it was ages 2-3, it was rather small for Ruby. “I not Grace.”

Charlie rolled her eyes. “Right, Snow White. It’s time for your bath.” Grace sighed as Ruby walked her down her hall.

“She my warf.” Grace grinned as she hit Ruby on the chest.

Ruby glanced at her mother. “I’m Happy, apparently.”

“No,” Grace shook her head. “You Sneezy now.” Grace said and Ruby pretended to sneeze a few times resulting in Grace giggling.

“Well as long as you don’t become Dopey you can be who you want.” Charlie mumbled and Ruby bowed her head down, knowing what Charlie meant. She put Grace down as her mobile beeped. She pulled it from her pocket as Grace tried to run out of the room, but Charlie grabbed her.

“C’mon, you normally love bath time.” Charlie said as she undid the button at the back of the dress and pulled it from her daughter’s body.

“I play Uby.” Grace pouted as Charlie took her panties off her.

“Ruby can play with you when you’re in the bath,” Charlie said as she lifted Grace into the water. “You can race your toys with her.”

“Yeah can you?” Grace looked up to her sister, questioningly. “Uby?” Grace said after receiving no reply.

“Rubes.” Charlie raised her voice.

“Sorry, what?” Ruby looked up from her phone as she slipped it back into her pocket.

“You play with me.” Grace splashed her hand in the water.

“Of course,” Ruby nodded as she knelt down at the bath’s edge, picking up one of the many bath toys Grace had as she put the hat she’d been wearing on the bathroom floor.

“Everything okay?” Charlie spoke quietly as he looked at Ruby.

“Yea fine,” Ruby nodded. “I eh...I thought it might have been Xav but,” Ruby bowed her head down. “It’s no one I want to care about.”

“Ahh,” Charlie said. “This the boy who ruined it all for you?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah, I guess,” Ruby answered. “Well, no, it wasn’t all his fault. He didn’t force me into any of it,” Ruby sighed as she wound the toy up before letting it go across the bath. “You know I’m sorry, right,” Ruby looked up to her mother. “I didn’t mean to disappoint you.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “But you still have.”

Ruby sighed sadly as her phone beeped once again. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked to the screen, seeing this time it was from April. “Eh, I’m going to hang out with April for a while,” Ruby said as she looked back up to her mother. “If that’s okay?”

“Well I can’t stop you going out,” Charlie sighed. “But don’t be too late. You need to get up and sort out uni first thing,” Charlie said. “And I want to talk to you about something so...we’ll do that tomorrow as well, okay?”

“Right,” Ruby looked a little puzzled. “Okay eh...I’ll see you later.” Ruby said before leaving the bathroom. Grace sighed as she hit her hand hard against the water causing it to splash out, hitting Charlie’s top.

“What you looking so sad for?” Charlie questioned as she pinched her daughters cheek, causing her to smile a little.

“Uby gone.” Grace held her hand out to the side before pouting.

“Aww I know you’ve missed her,” Charlie ran her hand through her daughter’s hair. “I’m sure she’ll play with you tomorrow.”

“Me and Uby jist,” Grace said. “Me and Uby.”

“Sure,” Charlie answered. “Ruby and Grace’s day.”

“Yeah.” Grace smacked her hands against the water once again, causing her to splash her mother again. Charlie laughed at her daughter’s excitement to spend a day with her sister, before reaching for the sponge and body wash so she could get Grace washed.

“Rubes,” April sat down on her bed. “How could you be so stupid?”

“Ahh April I could really do without another lecture,” Ruby sighed as she leaned back against the headboard. “I have my mum for that and I’m pretty sure I’m getting another one tomorrow as she wants to talk to me about something.”

“Sorry,” April bit her lip. “You heard from Xavier since...”

“Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head. “I text him this morning but,” Ruby clicked her tongue. “I don’t really expect to hear from him again,” Ruby bowed her head down. “I eh, I gave him an iPad and this morning it was....well he’d packed it in with my things,” Ruby felt her eyes stinging with tears. “I love him so much and I....I ruined us, I’m never going to have him back,” Ruby started to cry and April moved closer to her and pulled her into a hug. “I know this was my fault, but....I just....I don’t want us to be over.” Ruby cried.

“I know,” April gently rubbed her back. “And maybe if you give Xavier a little space and time he’ll be open to the idea of reconciliation,” April said. “You’re each other’s first loves. There’s something special there.”

“You think so?” Ruby wiped her hand across her face.

“Of course you have something special,” April said. “He’ll be really hurt by what you did and just give him some time and maybe......maybe he’ll talk and....” April trailed off. She didn’t want to get Ruby’s hopes up to much.

“Maybe,” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she sat up. “Wish you could say give him a few days, he’ll calm down, he loves you, he’ll forgive you,” Ruby sighed. “But I guess....well I wouldn’t forgive me so why should he?” Ruby pulled at her bracelet.

“It’ll be alright.” April said quietly.

Ruby sniggered. “Yep....” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Anyways, how are things with you?” Ruby asked, wanting to chance the subject. “You and Dex all good?”

“Yeah,” April smiled. She and Dex had been dating for nearly a year now. “It’s great,” April said, tucking her hair behind her ear. “It’s really great.”

“Good, I’m glad one of us can be happy,” Ruby said. “And uni is going well for you?”

“So far,” April smiled. “It’s been pretty full on right away, but I’m sure it’ll be worth it when I become a Doctor,” April said. “Well providing I pass,” April added. “So, what are you doing about uni?”

“I’m calling Northern Districts tomorrow,” Ruby answered. “See if I can transfer from Melbourne.”

“Ahh,” April gave a nod. “And if not?”

“I’m not sure,” Ruby shrugged. “Not sure mum will be keen on me seeing if I can get into Sydney or anywhere else. She’ll probably freak out about not trusting me not to take anymore drugs so...” Ruby shrugged. “Guess I’ll need to wait till next year.”

“So you think you’d need to get a job?” April asked.

“Well I’m not going to be allowed to sit around and do nothing, so....” Ruby sighed. “Yeah I guess I’d need to start looking for a job.”

“Well hopefully you get in to the uni,” April smiled. “It’ll be nice to see you around the place,” April said. “Could do lunch some days too.”

“Yeah.” Ruby answered with a sigh.

“Oh sound like you want to hang out with me.” April said.

“Of course I do,” Ruby exhaled. “Just...you know we used to hang out me, you, Dex....Xav....” Ruby looked down as she played with her bracelet. “Now it’ll be April and Dex the couple and the third wheel.”

“No it won’t,” April said. “It’ll be April and her bestie back together and sometimes Dex will be around, but, you’re not going to be a third wheel Rubes.”

“Hmm,” Ruby believed differently. “Anyways, we’ll just need to wait to see what happens when I call tomorrow,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Maybe I won’t even get in.”

“Well I hope you do,” April gave her a smile. “So, Rubes, I eh....can I ask you a question?”

“I suppose.” Ruby looked a little worried as she saw the look on April’s face.

“What made you take the drugs?” April questioned.

Ruby pursed her lips together. “I just....” Ruby exhaled as she pulled at her bracelet again. “The first time it was to fit in,” Ruby spoke quietly. Of course she was ashamed of what she’d done. “But then...I....it helped me forget about dad,” Ruby bowed her head as she felt tears in her eyes. “At least, I wanted it too.” Ruby cried.

“Aww Rubes.” April sighed as she pulled her friend into a hug. She wasn’t going to cast judgement on her all she was going to do was hold her as she cried.

Thanks for the comments.

Twenty-nine

Ruby put the straw into the juice box before handing it to Grace. They’d spent the morning at the park and they were having a little picnic lunch before they were going to feed the ducks. “You having fun?” Ruby questioned as she opened a can of soda.

Grace nodded her head as she was taking a drink from the straw. “The slide.” Grace stopped drinking just enough to say that before she began drinking again.

Ruby smiled. “Someone is thirsty.”

“Uh huh,” Grace nodded. “Too much running.”

After playing on the swings and then the slide for what seemed like forever, Ruby and Grace kicked a soccer ball around for a while, before Grace just started running around, wanting Ruby to catch her. “Well we can have a nice rest huh?” Ruby said as she opened the Tupperware box, putting it onto the blanket. Grace gave a nod as she picked up a sandwich. Ruby pulled her phone from her pocket as it beeped. She bit her lip as she saw she had a text from Andy. Hey, missing u @ school 2day, u ok? Movies 2nite if u feel like it? Give me a txt, xx. She sighed as she deleted the message. She’d let Nina know she was back in the bay and not returning to Melbourne but she hadn’t told Andy, and from what it looked like, Nina hadn’t either. She opened a new message and hovered her hand over the keys for a second, before typing. Hey babe, I am so sorry for what I’ve done. I love you so much and just want a chance to talk, please just talk to me. Xxxxxxxxxxxx. She sighed lightly as she put her phone down on the blanket and reached for a sandwich. Before she’d even took a bite her phone beeped. She was surprised when she saw Xavier’s name flash across the screen. She wasn’t sure if he’d even reply and if he did she didn’t expect it so quickly. She took a deep breath before she opened the message. No. Her heart sunk as she read it. One little word, but it was enough to hurt her deeply. She knew she’d done wrong and she’d hurt Xavier, but she just wanted a chance to explain, a chance to apologise and a chance to make it up to him. She put her phone down as she looked down to Grace, who was staring up at her, her blue eyes all wide. “Alright?” Ruby tried to sound upbeat.

Grace furrowed her eyebrows as she put her half eaten sandwich on the blanket before she crawled closer to Ruby. She put her little hand onto Ruby’s arm and patted it gently a few times, before sitting on her knee, giving her a hug. “Is you kay?” Grace asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Ruby put on a smile as she wrapped her arms around her sister. “I’ve got you to cheer me up,” Ruby said as she tickled her sister’s sides, resulting in Grace’s laughter. Ruby started laughing as she kept tickling Grace, her little laugh infectious. “You’re awfully tickly.” Ruby said as she continued to tickle Grace, her laughter increasing.

“Yes,” Grace screeched through the laughter. “Stop....Uby....” Grace giggled as she tried to break free from Ruby’s grasp. “Please.”

Ruby let go of her sister and she jumped up and started running across the park. “Grace, where are you going?” Ruby questioned. “Come and eat your lunch.”

“No lunch,” Grace shook her head. “Play slide.” Grace made her way back over to the slide from the grass.

“Grace,” Ruby chased after her sister as she made for the slide. “Oi monkey,” Ruby grabbed her sister, lifting her into her arms. “We’ll go back later but you need to eat lunch first.”

“Hmm.” Grace sighed as she started patting her hand against Ruby’s head.

“Why you banging my head?” Ruby asked, bemused.

“Cos,” Grace answered. “Uby, I love slide.”

“Yeah I know,” Ruby sat Grace down on the blanket. “After lunch we can go back then we can go feed the ducks, okay?”

“Yeah,” Grace’s face lit up at the idea of feeding the ducks. “Feed the ducks.” Ruby smiled as Grace tucked back into her sandwich. She looked down to her phone and thought about trying Xavier again, before remembering what April told her. She needed to give him time. She exhaled before taking a drink of her juice and hoped that Xavier would indeed talk with her after some time had passed.

Charlie took a deep breath as she looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing her blue strapless dress and a pair of black heels. Her hair had been straightened and she’d done a smoky-eye look with her make-up. She was far more dressed up for this date than their first date and she wondered if maybe she was too dressed up. “Looking hot,” Ruby whistled from the doorway. “Girls night indeed huh?” Ruby questioned.

Charlie sucked in her bottom lip. Even though she had had all day to talk to Ruby she still hadn’t done it. With Ruby and Grace having been out most of the morning and Charlie spending most of the afternoon trying to prepare herself to bring the subject up, it was time for her to get ready before she knew it. “Not quiet,” Charlie murmured as she turned to face her daughter. “Come sit.” Charlie sat on the bed and patted beside her. Ruby screwed her face up before walking over and taking a seat next to her mother. “Ruby I,” Charlie paused. “I love your dad so much.” Charlie started.

“I know,” Ruby gave a little nod. “And I know I’ve disappointed you and him, but -” Ruby said, thinking she was about to get a talking to about the drug taking.

“Rubes, this isn’t about that.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well then what is it?” Ruby questioned. “Look, mum,” Ruby continued talking. “I know that it must hurt, not being with him,” Ruby said. “Cos I’m hurting too,” Ruby looked like she was about to cry. “But me, you and Grace, we’re doing okay, right?” Ruby questioned. “We’re happy?”

“I know we are,” Charlie tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “But sweetheart -”

“Maybe if me and you could talk about dad more I wouldn’t....” Ruby pursed her lips together. “I know it’s hard for you to talk to a lot about him, but, it helps me and I think maybe if you give it a chance it’ll help you too.”

“We can talk about him,” Charlie answered sadly. “But, Rubes, there’s something I really need to talk to you about, okay, so I need you to listen.”

“Okay,” Ruby answered. “What is it?”

Charlie took a deep breath as she played with her necklace. “I’m going out tonight with -”

“Yeah, you and Bianca are having a girl’s night.” Charlie never told Ruby this; she’d just assumed it when she’d been put on babysitting duty.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “That’s just it Rubes, this is not a girl’s night,” Charlie took a deep breath. “I’m going out with Brax.”

“What?” Ruby raised her voice as she stood up from the bed.

“You know him, right? The man who -”

“I know who he is,” Ruby yelled over Charlie. “How could you, mum?”

“Ruby -” Charlie exhaled as she stood up. She was struggling with this as it was so she didn’t need this from Ruby.

“No, don’t,” Ruby shrugged away, not letting Charlie touch her. “How could you, mum? How could you betray dad like this?” Ruby was getting teary eyed as yelled out at her mother.

“Ruby I -” Charlie tried to explain but Ruby once again cut her off.

“No,” Ruby yelled. “You promised, mum, you promise me,” Ruby stormed out of the bedroom and down the hall, into the living room where Grace was watching Peppa Pig on the TV. “I can’t believe you’re doing this to dad. What does this say on how you feel about him?” Ruby questioned.

“Ruby you’re not being fair,” Charlie said. “I love your dad but -”

“There should be no but,” Ruby yelled. “I hate you for this.” Ruby opened the front door and ran from the house.

“Ruby,” Charlie shouted. “Ruby.” Charlie said once again but Ruby wasn’t going to come back. She shook her head lightly before looking back into the room, seeing Grace staring at her from the couch.

“Uh oh.” Grace slapped her hands against her cheeks. Charlie exhaled as she rubbed her forehead wondering what to do now. Brax would be here any minute to take her out and her babysitter had just run off.

Archived