To Love Again

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments :)

Forty

Ruby walked back into the house following her surf. She looked down to the couch, seeing Grace laying down, her yellow blankie cuddled close to her and a basin on the floor next to her, just in case. Charlie was in the kitchen, unloading the dishwasher. “Hey sweetie how was your surf?”

“Good,” Ruby answered. “Brax and I were out there for ages.”

Charlie stopped what she was doing and turned to face Ruby who was crouching down in front of Grace, feeling her forehead. “I’m sorry, I don’t think I heard right,” Charlie said. “What did you say?”

“Brax and I were out on the surf for ages,” Ruby said again. “Actually gave me some pretty good pointers too.”

Charlie opened her mouth but no sound came out. She rubbed the back of her head. “You and Brax were surfing together?” Charlie questioned, thinking she must be mistaken.

“That’s what I said mum.” Ruby stood straight and walked out of the room and down the hall to her bedroom. Charlie followed, a rather puzzled look on her face.

“Like, Brax?” Charlie questioned. “My Brax? Darryl. Darryl Braxton?” Charlie walked into Ruby’s bedroom.

“Yes,” Ruby answered. “I met him on the beach and we talked and....well.....I’m trying here.” Ruby gave her mother a smile. Of course she was dying to know what they talked about but, right now, the fact that Ruby said she was going to try with Brax meant so much to her, she didn’t want to push it, or worse, make Ruby change her mind by being too pushy.

“Aww Rubes.” Charlie surprised Ruby as she lunged forward enveloping her in a hug.

“Mum.” Ruby sighed, trying to pull away from the hug but Charlie wasn’t ready let go yet.

“Thank you,” Charlie said. “You have no idea how much this means to me.” Charlie felt herself welling up. Her daughter’s approval meant everything to her and she was so glad that she’d finally got it.

“I’m sorry for being such a pain about it,” Ruby said, finally being freed from her mother’s grasp. “I was just...” Ruby trailed off. “Well being a pain,” Ruby exhaled. “But I really am going to try harder and he does seem like a lovely guy.” Ruby gave her mother a smile.

Charlie smiled at Ruby’s words. “Well thank you.” Charlie gave her a smile.

“Things getting pretty serious with you two?” Ruby questioned and Charlie bit her lip before nodding lightly.

“I’d say so,” Charlie answered. “It’s going to be taken slow, but....” Charlie nodded her head.

Ruby raised her eyebrows. Brax had told her at the beach he loved her mother and although she felt a little bad that she knew before her mother did, she was happy for her. “Are you seeing him tonight?” Ruby questioned, thinking maybe it would be the time Brax told Charlie.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “Grace is still sick. I don’t want to leave her.”

“She’ll be fine with me watching her,” Ruby said. “I honestly don’t mind if you want to go out.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Really it’s fine,” Charlie said. “I don’t want to leave her.”

“Okay,” Ruby sighed. “Well any time you want me to I’ll babysit with no problems.”

“That’s good to know.” Charlie gave her a smile before leaving the room to check on Grace.

Ruby spotted him sitting on the beach, his surf board sticking up in the sand. She took a deep breath before walking down and standing beside him. “How have you been?” Ruby questioned.

He looked up at her and even after all this time, Ruby still saw disappointment and hatred in his eyes. “Busy,” Xavier answered. “You?”

“Yeah you know, uni,” Ruby exhaled as she took a seat next to him. “Still enjoying it in Melbourne?”

“Yeah, loving it there,” Xavier answered, playing with the sand as a distraction. “How’s Andy?”

Ruby exhaled, shaking her head. “I haven’t spoken to Andy since I left,” Ruby told him and Xavier sniggered before looking at her and seeing that she was telling the truth by the look on her face. “Xav the last thing I wanted to do was hurt you,” Ruby felt herself welling up. “I...I was just going through a hard time. I....Melbourne made me miss dad more and I....I know I shouldn’t have turned to drugs.”

“You think?” Xavier questioned with another snigger. “Look, Rubes, I was shocked. I never would have thought you’d do that. You’re not like that,” Xavier exhaled. “But I understand it was a difficult time and I can forgive you for taking the drugs,” Xavier said. “Providing you’ve stopped?”

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “I’ve not touched the stuff since I’ve been home.”

Xavier gave a little smile. “Well if you are looking for my forgiveness, then, when it comes to the drugs,” Xavier gave a little shrug. “I can forgive you for that, but, for sleeping with Andy?” Xavier questioned. “I...I can’t.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. She was happy Xavier had forgiven her for her lies and deceit over the drug taking, but, it was forgiveness for sleeping with Andy that she really wanted. “Ever?” Ruby squeaked.

“I don’t think so,” Xavier answered. “Rubes, what we had was so special. We were each other’s first everything and you ruined that by sleeping with someone else,” Xavier cleared his throat. “What does that tell me for what I meant to you?”

“You meant everything to me,” Ruby wiped a tear from her eye. “You still do mean everything to me,” Ruby told him. “I love you so so much and I wish I could turn back time. I wish so much that I could erase ever meeting Andy from my life, but I know I can’t and I....I’m so sorry. I promise I’d make it up to you every day for the rest of our lives. Every day I would show you how sorry I was and how much I love you,” Ruby sniffed back. “Because I do,” Ruby cried. “I love you so much, Xav. Please, just, please can I have a second chance?” Ruby questioned. “Doesn’t everyone deserve a second chance?”

“I don’t know,” Xavier gave a little shrug. “But what I do know is that I don’t want to be with someone who could do that to me,” Xavier’s words cut Ruby hard. She felt like her heart was being ripped from her chest. “So being your boyfriend again?” Xavier questioned. “You ruined that, Rubes,” Xavier said as he stood up, wiping sand from his bottom. “Maybe one day we can be friends but you’ve had your chance at being my girlfriend and you blew it, big time.” Xavier said, picking up his board and running down to the sea, leaving Ruby sitting on the beach, tears streaming down her face.

Brax had shown up at Charlie’s. He’d brought more soup for Grace along with some Thai food for him and Charlie for lunch. They were sitting at the table, Grace sitting on Charlie’s knee as she ate her soup. “This good.” Grace told Brax as she put a spoonful in her mouth.

“I’m glad you like it,” Brax gave her a smile. “You feeling better today?”

“No.” Grace shook her head, although she did have more colour and sounded chirpier than the night before.

“I think she is a bit better,” Charlie answered, running her hand through Grace’s hair. “Hopefully she’s on the mend.”

“Yeah,” Brax said before taking a drink of his beer. “So, Rubes tell you about our chat this morning?” Brax said, before taking a mouthful of food.

“Yeah,” Charlie swallowed her mouthful. “I was a bit surprised but I’m glad she’s coming around.”

“Me too,” Brax gave a little smile. “Soon we’ll be good buddies just like me and little monkey, here,” Brax said, smiling at Grace. Although she still tended to be shy with him, she wasn’t near as bad as two months ago. “I’m your buddy, right?” Brax gave a little grin.

“Yes,” Grace nodded. “You are buddy.”

“Yeah,” Brax shared a smile with Charlie before taking a drink of his beer. She raised her eyebrows as her smile got bigger. “So, you want to watch more Peppa Pig today, Grace?” Brax questioned.

Grace put a spoonful of soup in her mouth as she nodded. “The farm one.”

“Ah the farm one,” Brax gasped. “I’ve been wanting to see that one for so long, is it a good one?” Brax took some more of his food into his mouth as he waited on an answer from Grace.

“Best one,” Grace answered. “Ay mummy?”

“Oh yeah,” Charlie rolled her eyes as she looked at Brax. “It’s amazing.”

Brax gave a little laugh as Charlie put Grace down onto the floor, saying she was finished with her soup. She walked along to the couch and climbed up onto it, laying down, cuddling her blankie close to her. “She’s looking better now.” Brax said, gesturing over to Grace.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Should be back to herself by tomorrow.”

Brax gave a little smile, looking from Charlie to Grace then back to Charlie. “Let’s finish this lunch so we can watch Peppa Pig.” Brax grinned and Charlie laughed before putting some food onto her fork. She looked at Brax as he took a drink and smiled, the funny feelings in the pit of her stomach only growing stronger.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

Forty-one

After watching Peppa Pig at the Farm, Grace fell asleep and was settled into her own bed for her nap. Charlie and Brax started watching a more age appropriate film together, but then they somehow got lost in kissing rather than watching the movie. “Mmm.” Brax gave a little moan as he ran his hand down her back. Charlie was running his hands through hair, their tongues swirling around each other’s mouths.

“Mmm.” Charlie pulled back as Brax’s other hand slid up her thigh, under her skirt. She leaned her head forward, their foreheads pressing together.

“It’s okay,” Brax whispered as he sat back on the couch, Charlie cuddling into him. He gently ran the tips of his fingers in a circular motion on her shoulder. “So, I was thinking, once Grace is better of course then we could have a day out,” Brax said. “Me, you and Grace. We could go to the zoo or something,” Brax said. “Ruby could come too, if she wanted.” Brax said.

“A family day out?” Charlie said, looking up to him as she placed her hand on his chest.

“Yup,” Brax nodded. “I think it would be a great day.”

“I’m sure it will be,” Charlie smiled. “Eh, it sounds good, yeah, we should do that.”

“Looking forward to it already,” Brax gave her a smile, before looking into her eyes. He loved her eyes. Soft, caring, loving eyes. His smile grew larger as he gently rubbed her cheek with his thumb. Looking at her now, she was gorgeous and he loved her. He loved her so much and he wanted her to know it. “I love you Charlie.” Brax said his face now in a grin.

Charlie smiled as she felt her heart flutter. “I....I lo...” Charlie tried to get it out, but, she couldn’t say the word. She did love him, she knew she did. She could tell by the feelings she got when she was with him, when they kissed and how happy she’d just felt hearing that he loved her. “I....” Charlie tried once again, but, she couldn’t get it out.

“It’s okay,” Brax looked down, saddened. “We’re not going to get there at the same time.” Brax exhaled. He looked crushed. Charlie bit her lip as she looked into his saddened eyes.

“But Brax I -”

“I eh,” Brax stood up. “I’m going to go right now,” Brax cleared his throat. He really expected her to say it back. He thought she loved him too. “See you soon though, yeah?” Brax smiled weakly as he placed a kiss on her forehead before getting up and leaving the house.

“Brax.” Charlie shouted out after him but she couldn’t exactly go chasing him, not when Grace was asleep in her bed. She ran her hand over her forehead as she sighed before closing the door, deciding to give him give the space he clearly wanted right now. She walked over to the shelving unit and picked up her wedding picture. She ran her hand over Angelo’s face as she exhaled sadly.

Ruby pushed Lucy on the swing as she squealed in delight. “C’mon I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.” April said as she leaned against the frame of the swings.

“It was,” Ruby sighed. She was telling April of the discussion she’d had with Xavier earlier on the beach. “He hates me with a passion.”

“Well at least he’s forgiven you for the drug taking,” April said. “It’s a start.”

“I guess,” Ruby sighed, once again pushing the swing, Lucy continuing to enjoy herself. “And he did say maybe one day we could be friends,” Ruby exhaled. “So, I guess, being friends with him is better that nothing at all, right?”

“I’d say so,” April exhaled. “Look, Dex, Xav and I are going to the movies then out for a few drinks tonight. Why don’t you come along and you guys can try this whole friend’s thing?” April questioned and Ruby bit her lip, not sure if it was the best idea.

“I’m not sure,” Ruby clicked her tongue. “He said one day. I don’t think he intends on hanging out with me now.”

“Well the offer is there,” April said. “Or you could always text him and see what he says,” April suggested. “Let him know you want to come along and see if he’d mind.”

“Hmm,” Ruby considered this. She wanted to see her friends but didn’t want it to be awkward and knew it probably would if Xavier was there, but then again, that should be no reason to stop seeing her friends. After all, they were her friends too. “I guess I’ll text him and see what he says,” Ruby took her phone from her pocket and wrote him a quick text. It felt weird texting him again. She hadn’t done it in so long. “So, I also bumped into Brax this morning.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“Aw God Rubes,” April sighed. “What did you do now?”

“Nothing,” Ruby’s voice squeaked. “We....talked,” Ruby exhaled. “And I am going to give him a chance,” Ruby gave a little smile. “You were right. He is a nice guy and he deserves a chance and mum is really happy with him and....yeah,” Ruby bit her lip. “We’ll see how it goes.”

“Aww well that’s good,” April smiled. “I’m glad you’ve seen sense.”

“Yeah,” Ruby sighed. “Like I said, we’ll see how it goes.” Ruby said, feeling a little nervous as her phoned beeped. She looked down to see it was a message from Xavier. Come if you want. Not up to me what you do. Ruby exhaled sadly as she showed April the text.

April read it before looking back up to her friend. “Well he’s not said no,” April said. “And maybe hanging out with him can only be a good thing,” April suggested. “You know, he’ll see what he's missing.”

“Yeah, maybe.” Ruby sighed.

“Ruby, push,” Lucy said as she looked around at her. “Ruby.”

“Sorry,” Ruby said as she once again pushed Lucy on the swing. She pursed her lips together, not sure if she was looking forward to being out with Xavier or if she thought it was a really bad idea.

Grace walked with Charlie back through to the living room. She looked around before she furrowed her eyebrows as she looked up to her mother. “Where my buddy?”

“What?” Charlie screwed her face up, a little confused.

“Buddy,” Grace said. “Where is he?” Grace held her hands out to the side, giving her mother a confused look.

“You mean Brax?” Charlie questioned and Grace gave a little nod. “Oh he had to go home,” Charlie said, taking a seat on the couch as Grace climbed up beside her, her blankie still being carried in her hand. “You’ll see him again though,” Charlie told her. “I think.” Charlie mumbled.

“Yes,” Grace nodded, cuddling into her mother. “We watch Peppa Pig.” Grace grinned.

“Again?” Charlie sulked. There was only so much Peppa Pig she could take at a time.

“No,” Grace shook her head. “Me and Buddy.”

“Ah I see,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Well yes, you’ve watched lots of Peppa Pig with Brax, haven’t you?” Charlie ran her hand through her daughters hair as she spoke.

“He’s good,” Grace said. “You like ‘im?”

“I do sweetheart, I very much more than like him,” Charlie sighed, not sure why she wasn’t able to say those 3 little words back to him. She knew she felt it, so why couldn’t she say it. She looked down to her daughter who was looking up at her with a big smile, her big blue eyes all wide. She gave her daughter a smile before leaning down and placing a kiss on her head. “You’re looking a lot better though.” Charlie smiled glad Grace seemed to be getting over being sick. She still had a slight temperature but she hadn’t been sick since breakfast and Charlie was sure she’d be back to normal by tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

Forty-two

Dex put the girls’ drinks down on the table. “Thanks.” The girls said as Dex sat back down next to his girlfriend. “Where’s Xav?” April questioned.

“Uhm,” Dex looked to Ruby before looking back to April. “He’s still at the bar.”

They all looked over to the bar where Xavier was standing talking, and flirting, Ruby noticed with a blonde haired girl. “Sorry Rubes.” April exhaled as he saw the girl laughing as she rubbed his upper arm.

“He’s single,” Ruby was crushed seeing Xavier talking with this girl. “He can do what he wants,” Ruby said before taking a rather large drink. She pursed her lips together watching as the girl kept her hand on Xavier’s arm, laughing at something he was saying. “I uhm...I’m going to the toilet,” Ruby made a quick exit from the room, running into the toilets and locking herself in a stall. She leaned against the door and pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Rubes,” Ruby heard April’s voice in the toilets. “Rubes.”

Ruby took a deep breath before opening the door, letting April into the stall. “Ruby.” April wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“I love him,” Ruby cried. “I can’t let him go,” Ruby fell into April as she wrapped her arms around her, holding her friend as she cried. They’d talked about this a countless number of times; April didn’t really know what else to say so all she could do was hold her till the tears stopped. Once they did, she wiped the tears from her friends face and helped her fix her make-up before they walked back through to the pub, Ruby stopping as she saw Xavier and the other girl in a passionate kiss. “I have to go. It’s too soon for me to see this.” Ruby said before she ran from the pub.

Charlie put some sugar into the coffee before stirring the cup. She sighed as she looked up to her friends, both of them talking about someone or something. She wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation; her mind was on something else. “What do you think, Charlie?” Leah questioned. Upon hearing her name, she bit her lip. They were expecting an answer from her and she had no idea what they were talking about.

“Uhm....” Charlie looked from Leah to Bianca a few times.

“You weren’t listening, were you?” Bianca asked and Charlie continued to bit on her lip as she shook her head.

“Sorry.” Charlie rubbed her face.

“You want to talk about it?” Leah questioned, knowing something was bothering her friend.

“I....Brax told me he loved me.” Charlie said and both Leah and Bianca gave a squeal of excitement.

“That’s fantastic,” Bianca screeched. “Why is it making you look like you’ve told been told something awful?”

“Because I...” Charlie paused for a moment. “I couldn’t say it back.” Charlie bowed her head down and Leah noticed she was playing with her wedding rings.

“So you’re not there yet,” Leah rubbed her friends back. “It doesn’t mean to say you won’t get there.”

“That’s the thing though,” Charlie looked back to her friends. “I do. I really really do and I....I want to tell him,” Charlie said. “But every time I tried I just froze up and....” Charlie took another packet of sugar from the dish and started playing with it in her hands. “I want to say it, but....but I can’t.”

Leah and Bianca exchanged a glance. “Because of Angelo?” Bianca bit her lip. “He was the last person you said that to and maybe....maybe you want to keep that special between you two.” Bianca suggested, knowing it would never be easy to say that again after losing your husband, a man she knew Charlie loved more than anything. She knew she’d hate to even think about telling someone else she loved them if she ever lost Heath.

“Maybe,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I.....I think so,” Charlie threw the sugar packet onto the table before rubbing her cheeks with her hands. “But I do feel it. I know I do and I really want to tell him.”

“Don’t stress over it,” Leah said. “The best thing you can do is not think about it at all and eventually it will slip out.” Leah told her.

“You think so?” Charlie screwed her face up, unsure.

“Yes,” Bianca agreed with her friend. “And until then you can let him know in other ways,” Bianca suggested. “Be affectionate, cook him a romantic meal....you could tell him something that not many other people know. You know, telling him a secret showing him how much you trust him. Suggest a romantic weekend away...maybe take the relationship to the next level....” Bianca trailed off. She was aware Brax and Charlie were yet to consummate their relationship and thought by taking this step, Charlie could show Brax how much she did love him. “If you feel ready of course. Don’t go doing it just for him.”

“I wouldn’t,” Charlie shook her head before sighing. “I knew dating again would be difficult,” Charlie exhaled. “I mean I hadn’t even considered it as an option until I met Brax, but, I didn’t think it would have been this hard.”

“It’s only been a couple of months,” Leah spoke softly. “Just take this at a pace you are comfortable with. Don’t rush into saying things or doing things if it makes you feel uncomfortable. Surely Brax understands how difficult this must be for you?”

“He does,” Charlie gave a nod. “He’s so understanding. He’s amazing and I just...I wish I could tell him that.”

“You will one day,” Bianca said. “And maybe then it’ll be more special because he’ll know you really mean it.”

“Yeah.” Charlie spoke quietly before pursing her lips together as she played with her wedding rings thinking maybe there was something she could do to show Brax how much he meant to her.

After finishing her shift at work and collecting Grace from Marilyn’s, Charlie decided to go to the restaurant to see Brax with plans of asking him around that night so she could try to express her feelings to him. “Buddy.” Grace ran across the restaurant, her face lighting up as she saw Brax.

“Hey,” Brax bent down to her level, surprised as she wrapped her arms around him in a hug. “You’re certainly all better today huh?” Brax smiled as she gave a little nod.

“No been sick.” Grace screwed her face up before walking backwards and leaning against her mother.

“Hey.” Brax spoke quietly as he stood back up, looking to Charlie.

“Hi.” Charlie gave him a smile before they stared at each other for a moment.

“You come see Peppa Pig,” Grace asked and Charlie gave a little laugh as she ran her hand through her daughters chocolate brown hair. “Please buddy.”

Brax laughed at what was seemingly his new nickname. “I’m working tonight, monkey,” Brax told her and Grace frowned. “But I’m sure you and your mummy will watch it when you get home,” Brax walked behind the bar and leaned up to the box of lollipops. “She well enough for one of these?” Brax questioned, taking out a red lollipop.

“I’ll take it for later,” Charlie said taking it from Brax, smiling as their hands grazed together. “Uhm...maybe if you wanted to you could come over after work.” Charlie spoke shyly. She wasn’t sure where they stood now after what happened yesterday.

“Dunno what time I’ll finish eh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head and Charlie bowed her head down sadly. “We’ve got a big booking. 40th birthday so we’ll probably be chucking them out late on.”

“Right,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well maybe see you tomorrow or something.”

Maybe, yeah,” Brax gave a little nod, watching as Charlie played with her wedding rings. “Well I best get set-up. We’re opening for dinner soon.”

“Right sorry, I’ll get out your way.” Charlie said, feeling herself wanting to well up at Brax’s hostility.

Brax gave a weak smile before looking down to Grace. “You be a good monkey okay?” Brax said and Grace gave a little nod.

“You be a good buddy.” Grace ran forward and hugged his leg. Brax gave a little laugh as he ruffled her hair.

“Right Grace, c’mon, we’ll go home and get some dinner.”Charlie held her hand out and Grace ran over to her taking her hand and leaving the restaurant with her mother. Brax sighed as he ran his hands over his face wondering what would happen next between him and Charlie.

Thanks for the comments. Sweetie211000 I have no plans to writing a sequel for I Want You. I feel it’s better as a standalone fiction and can’t actually think of anything to make it into a sequel, however, if people were keen to read more and there were some idea’s for storylines thrown my way I would consider it.

Forty-three

Ruby was walking along the beach when she saw him leaning over the fencing staring out towards the ocean. She took a deep breath before walking over to him. “Looked like you had a good night last night.” Ruby exhaled, leaning herself against the fence.

“It was okay.” Xavier spoke quietly.

“Think it was more than okay,” Ruby managed a little laugh, although she was devastated that Xavier had at least kissed someone else, now she had an idea of how Xavier must have felt. “You looked pretty cosy with that girl.”

“I was trying to get over you,” Xavier blurted out and Ruby’s mouth opened in shock. “We only kissed,” Xavier exhaled. “It was nothing like when I kissed you and...” Xavier paused. “I can’t get over you, Rubes.” Ruby felt a glimmer of hope rising in her.

“I can’t get over you either,” Ruby answered. “Xav if you just give me another chance. I promise I’d -”

“You really hurt me,” Xavier sighed. “How can I trust that you won’t do that to me again?” Xavier turned so he was looking more directly at Ruby. “There’s always going to be that worry.”

“I won’t,” Ruby shook her head. “Cheating on you was the biggest, most stupid thing I’ve ever done and believe me, I won’t be making that same mistake again,” Ruby said, stepping forward and rubbing Xavier’s hand. “I love you so much and I’d spend the rest of our lives together proving that to you.”

Xavier looked into Ruby’s eyes before giving her a weak smile. “I love you too.” Xavier said before entwining his hand with hers. He could stay mad at her for longer, but, at the end of the day, he was only punishing himself. He wanted to be with Ruby despite what she’d done. He wanted to give her that second chance. It was time he was honest with himself.

“So....so does this mean....” Ruby pursed her lips together. She wanted to scream and shout in excitement but used all her strength to stop herself.

“How about we go for a smoothie and play some pool?” Xavier questioned. “See how it goes?”

“I would like that very much.” Ruby smiled as they walked up to the surf club, hand in hand.

Charlie was just finished getting ready for bed when her phone beeped. She walked over to it and picked it up from the bedside table and saw she had one new message from Brax. I’m outside. She screwed her face up before walking through to the door and opening it so Brax could come in the house. “Hey,” Charlie looked to him, confused. “Why didn’t you ring the bell?”

“Didn’t want to wake Grace.” Brax told her as he walked into the house. Charlie gave an appreciative smile, even thought the doorbell wouldn’t have woken her. He gave a little smile as he looked her up and down. She was in her blue silky pyjamas and boy did he think she looked hot.

“How was work?” Charlie questioned.

“Busy, like I said,” Brax gave a sort of laugh. It was just after 11 and that was him turning up at her place as soon as he finished up in the restaurant. “How was your night?”

“Lots of Peppa Pig, no thanks to you,” Charlie answered and Brax gave a little laugh. “Listen, eh....come sit,” Charlie took his hand and led him to the couch. “Thanks for coming.” Charlie looked at Brax with a smile.

“Sounds like I am here for an interview.” Brax laughed more nervously than anything else. He didn’t know what Charlie wanted to talk about.

“Look, Brax,” Charlie took a deep breath before taking his hand in hers. “What you said yesterday....I....I was so happy when you said that,” Charlie smiled. “And I lo...” Charlie once again couldn’t get the words out. “I do too,” Charlie said, giving his hand a squeeze. “I just...”

“It’s okay,” Brax exhaled. “Charlie if you’re not ready to start dating again then, I understand. I-”

“I am,” Charlie voice rose. “And I do....I do lo....I told you about Grant, Brax,” Charlie argued. “I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t trust you enough and lo...” Charlie pursed her lips together as she ran her wedding rings around her finger. She took a deep breath as her wedding day flashed before her eyes. The moment when Angelo put the ring on her finger. She smiled as she remembered that day and the night Angelo proposed. How surprised but happy she was. She took another deep breath before taking her rings off her fingers and slowly laying them down on the coffee table. Brax widened his eyes in surprise. “I do, Brax. Even though right now I can’t get the words out, I do and that’s how much you mean to me.” Charlie said, pointing to the rings that now lay on the table.

Brax looked down to the rings on the coffee table. The rings that symbolised Charlie’s life with Angelo. The rings that she took off to prove how much Brax and the life they were making together meant to her. He looked up at her and could see tears forming in her eyes. “You don’t have to stop wearing these,” Brax said, picking the delicate rings up and rolling them around his hand. “I know how much they mean to you.”

“My life with Angelo is over,” Charlie pushed back tears. “It’ll always be special to me but right now, I have you and you are special too,” Charlie exhaled. “When I’m with you I feel happier. I feel okay to laugh and smile in your presence. You make me remember what it’s like to have fun and let me see I can do that without feeling guilty,” Charlie said. “But I do....I do...” Brax gave a little smile as he wiped away the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs. “And one day, I hope to say it to you, but right now, it’s just....it’s not coming and I’m sorry.”

Brax cupped his hand around the back of her head, rubbing it lightly before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Right now, although he would have loved to have heard her saying she loved him, Charlie taking her wedding rings off was a new step for their relationship and he was very grateful that she felt strong enough to do that. That showed him just how much she did in fact love him. “So, you still up for that zoo trip?” Brax questioned and Charlie smiled as she gave a nod, wiping a tear from her eye.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “We’d love that.” Charlie said and Brax smiled before one again placing a kiss on her lips.

“Well I better get home,” Brax gave a little smile. “But how about we make this zoo trip tomorrow?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod as she walked him to the door. They shared one final kiss before Brax left, Charlie locking the door behind him. She walked over to the coffee table and picked up her wedding rings and exhaled sadly. She walked over to the shelves and picked up her wedding picture.

“I still love you baby, I always will, but it’s time for me. I need to do this,” Charlie whispered before placing a kiss on the picture. She put it down before walking through to her bedroom and opening her jewellery box, lifting out the ring box. She put the rings into it and kept the box open, bringing the box with her to her bed. She sat down and looked down to the rings, running her hand over them before putting them down on her bedside table. She looked to the picture of her, Angelo and baby Grace and smiled before settling down in bed to sleep, taking another look at her rings.

Thanks for the comments.

Forty-four

Charlie was pleasantly surprised when Ruby agreed to spending her Saturday at the zoo with her, Grace and Brax. They’d set of reasonably early, getting to the zoo just after opening so they had plenty of time to spend there. Grace was walking with Charlie’s hand in hers, Lola being held close to her by her other hand. Brax was walking close by to Charlie and Ruby was a few steps behind, looking down to her phone. “Ruby can you please put that phone away,” Charlie turned to look at her daughter as they stopped to wait in the queue for the tickets. “You were on it the whole way up here.”

“Yeah yeah.” Ruby mumbled as she continued to text.

“Ruby, c’mon.” Charlie pulled the phone from her daughter and put it into her bag.

“Mum,” Ruby gasped, holding her hand out in front of her. “Give it back,” Ruby pleaded. “I wasn’t finished replying to his text.”

“The text will still be there later,” Charlie told her. “Now I’m very pleased you and Xavier are going to give things another go, but, please for now just spend the day with us like you said you would.”

Ruby sighed, knowing she wasn’t about to get her phone back anytime soon. “Okay, sorry,” Ruby exhaled, looking down to Grace. “You excited to see all the cool animals?”

“Yeah,” Grace gave a little jump. “And Lola.”

“Well of course Lola is excited too,” Ruby said, pinching Grace’s cheek. “What do you want to see most?”

“Uhm,” Grace curled her nose up as she thought about her sisters questioned. “I see dem monkeys and turtles.” Grace’s little face lit up as she spoke.

“Ah of course monkey wants to see the monkeys,” Ruby said, ruffling her sisters hair. “Need to watch we don’t leave you with them, huh?” Ruby joked but Grace frowned.

“Mummy won’t let you.” Grace said before she looked up to Brax. “Or buddy.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she ran her hand through Grace’s hair before they moved forward in the queue. Brax paid for the tickets, despite Charlie offering him money, but he insisted it was his treat today. “So, is it the monkey first?” Brax questioned, looking down to Grace who gave a little nod.

“Yeah, c’mon buddy.” Grace took Brax’s hand and walked ahead with him, while Charlie and Ruby walked a little behind.

“So I see you’ve taken your rings off,” Ruby lifted up Charlie’s hand and rubbed her now bare wedding ring finger. “You sure you’re ready for that?”

“I wouldn’t have done it if I wasn’t ready,” Charlie said, pulling her hand away from her daughter, playing with her finger herself. “I...I needed a way to show him that I do lo....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “He told me that he loved me,” Charlie exhaled. “And I couldn’t say it back so I......I had to show him in another way.”

“But you still love dad, right?” Ruby questioned.

“I will always love him,” Charlie gave a smile, Angelo’s face popping into her mind. “But it doesn’t mean I can’t have what we had with someone else.”

“I know that now,” Ruby linked arms with her mother, looking ahead to see Grace grinning up at Brax as he pointed over to the monkey’s that were swinging on trees. He was obviously saying something amusing as Grace started to laugh. “He’s great with her.” Ruby smiled and Charlie looked their way.

“Yeah, he really is.” Charlie said. She loved that about Brax. How much he tried to make Grace a part of everything and how good he was with her. Charlie knew Grace would need a father figure as she grew up and knew that Brax would be the next best thing after Angelo for her daughter. Of course she knew it was early days, but, she could see herself being happy with Brax and them being a family.

“And mum,” Ruby said, looking up to her. “Don’t rush the I love you,” Ruby told her. “It’ll come when it’s supposed too.” Ruby gave her arm a squeeze before they walked up behind Brax and Grace so they could all see the monkeys together.

“How was the zoo?” Xavier questioned as Ruby sat down on the couch next to him.

“Good,” Ruby answered. “I had a great time actually,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “And of course Grace had a blast.”

“That’s good then,” Xavier gave a little smile. “I’m glad you had a good day.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “How was your day?”

“Went to some car thingy with John,” Xavier curled his nose up. “Guess it passed the day.”

“Aww I’m sure you had fun bonding with the step-daddy.” Ruby gave a little laugh as she put her hand on his chest and rubbed it gently.

“Like you did?” Xavier questioned.

“He is way off becoming my step-dad,” Ruby exhaled. “I’m not even sure mum would want to get married again to be honest,” Ruby said, playing with Angelo’s wedding ring. “But I guess we’ll just need to see.”

“Yeah,” Xavier seemed distracted by Ruby’s pendant. He’d seen the necklace the night before but the pendant had been hidden as it had slipped under the top of dress. “What’s this?” Xavier said, putting his hand onto it.

“What the ring?” Ruby questioned and Xavier gave a little nod.

“Not something of Andy’s is it?” Xavier said, pulling himself slightly further away from Ruby.

“No, no, God no,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s dad’s ring,” Ruby told him. “Remember my mum used to wear it?” Ruby questioned and Xavier’s eyes widened in realisation as he gave a nod. “Well she gave it to me just after I moved back home,” Ruby told him. “I was struggling a bit and...yeah,” Ruby exhaled. “She gave me it.” Ruby held onto it tighter.

“I see,” Xavier gave her a little smile. “Well you know if you ever want to talk about your dad then....I’ll be here.” Xavier said and Ruby gave him a little smile of thanks.

“I know,” Ruby smiled before leaning forward and softly kissing his lips. “Now, let’s get this movie started.” Ruby said, leaning into Xavier and resting her head on his chest. Xavier kissed her head as he wrapped his arm around her before hitting play on the remote.

Charlie lightly rubbed her daughter’s forehead as she slept. Not only was she holding onto Lola ragdoll, but, her new monkey teddy that Brax had insisted on buying her at the zoo’s shop and that Grace had christened Milly Monkey was also in the bed with her. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before leaving the room, rejoining Brax in the living room. “She still sleeping?”

“Yeah.” Charlie nodded as she sat back down on the couch from checking on Grace. After the zoo they’d had dinner together, before Ruby decided she’d done enough family bonding for one day and heading out to be with Xavier. Brax helped Charlie bath Grace before they settled down to some Peppa Pig and after Charlie settled Grace in bed they watched a movie together before Charlie had gone to check on her young daughter.

“So, you want to watch a second movie or do you want me to head home?” Brax questioned.

“Uhm....” Charlie bit her lip. “You can stay longer.” Charlie said, almost nervously before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on his lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as he wrapped his arms around her tiny frame, pulling her close to him, the kiss only continuing to get more passionate. Charlie ran her hand through Brax’s hair as he rested his on her back, their tongues darting around each other’s mouths. As the kissing only continued to intensify, Brax felt his heart beating faster, thinking that he was about to have sex for the first time with his girlfriend and he couldn’t wait. Brax ran his hands up Charlie’s legs, going under her dress and caressing her thighs.

“You want to move this to the bedroom?” Brax whispered, feeling Charlie’s hand sliding down his chest and cupping him where he was hardening. Charlie gave a nervous squeak as an answer before they stood up, Brax removing her dress and they made their way to the bedroom. Charlie pulled his t-shirt from his body before their lips crashed together once again. She ran her hands down his bare back before sliding her hands around his waist and undoing the button of his combat pants, all the while their kiss only continuing to grow in want and passion. Brax’s pants dropped to the floor and he stepped out of them, before they fell onto the bed, Brax straddling over her as their hands entwined together. He started placing kisses on her neck and Charlie looked to the side, suddenly getting an image of Angelo laying next to her. She closed her eyes and re-opened them before once again, seeing her husband.

“I’m sorry you need to stop,” Charlie said, unlocking their hands and pushing on his chest. “I need you to leave. You just have to leave.”

Brax looked to her confused as he got off from on top of her, kneeling on the bed next to her instead. “It’s okay,” Brax exhaled, going out to touch her arm, but Charlie shrugged away. “Charlie what -”

“You just need to get out. You need to go.” Charlie didn’t mean to shout at him but that’s how it came out. Brax exhaled, getting off the bed and redressing himself in such a hurry that he put his t-shirt on back to front. He left the house with neither of them saying anything else. Charlie turned around in the bed and put her hand over Angelo’s side before sighing as she tightly shut her eyes.

Thank you Chax, beebee, Sarah, Sabrina, emmamurphy8 and Pembie for the comments. :wub:

Forty-five

Charlie watched as Lucy and Grace jumped on the trampoline in the back garden. She was running her fingers around where her wedding rings should be. “Something’s on your mind. Again,” Bianca said as she sat down at the table next to her friend. “This still about those 3 little words?” Bianca asked, handing Charlie the glass of juice.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head. “We sorted that, it’s uhm....something else.”

“The zoo not go to well with Rubes and Brax?” Bianca questioned, wondering what could have her friend in this mood.

“They were fine,” Charlie sighed. “It’s uhm...me,” Charlie bit her lip before looking to the girls who were happily jumping away. “We were so close to having sex last night then....” Charlie paused. “I saw Angelo’s face and freaked out,” Charlie bowed her head down. “I...if I have sex with Brax then that’s it. Me and Angelo really are done and I’ve closed the book on our lives together. I don’t want to close the book,” Charlie felt her eyes misting over. “I want to leave it open.”

“Charlie,” Bianca spoke softly as she leaned over the table and gave her friends hand a squeeze. “You don’t have to close any book,” Bianca exhaled. “You can still remember and treasure the life you had with Angelo while making a new one with Brax.”

“How am I supposed to do that if I can’t have sex with him?” Charlie questioned. “I already can’t tell him the L word, I can’t hold off sex forever either,” Charlie rubbed her hands over her face, frustrated at the situation she seemed to have herself stuck in. “It’s not fair on Brax to keep him in a relationship with so many restrictions but I don’t want to be without him,” Charlie said. “I just.....what am I supposed to do, Bianca?” Charlie gave her friend a questioning look and Bianca clicked her tongue, not sure how to answer her friend.

“Maybe you’re just not ready,” Bianca suggested. “When it’s going to happen it will and if Brax is a decent guy, which I am sure he is, he’ll wait until you are ready.”

“I felt ready though,” Charlie exhaled. “I wanted him. He’s so.....” Charlie bit her lip. “It was just....it was when we got on the bed I freaked out,” Charlie said. “That’s the bed I shared with Angelo and maybe...” Charlie pursed her lips together before giving a little shrug as she exhaled. “Maybe it was the thought of doing it in our bed, mines and Angelo’s bed that was freaking me out and not the actual thought of doing it with Brax.”

“Well there’s only one way to find out if that’s the case or not,” Bianca exhaled. “You have a guest room,” Bianca gave a cheeky laugh. “Or of course there’s always Brax’s place.”

“Yeah,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well I guess I’ll need to see if Brax actually wants to see me again,” Charlie sighed. “I wouldn’t blame him if he broke up with me. All this isn’t fair on him.” Charlie ran her hands up and down the glass as she spoke, her tone saddened. Of course she didn’t want her and Brax to be over but, she knew it wasn’t fair on him right now.

“Brax is bound to understand how difficult this must be for you.” Bianca exhaled before quickly glancing to the girls, making sure they were okay before looking back to her friend.

“I know but understanding it is one thing,” Charlie exhaled. “I don’t think he expected that he’d have to put up with this much crap. Poor guy just wants a normal relationship and he gets stuck with me and whatever the hell it is I am giving him.”

Bianca gave a little laugh. “Charlie you’ve been together all of two months and he’s already said he loves you,” Bianca said. “I’m pretty sure he wants to stick around for a long time.”

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a little smile. “Let’s just hope I haven’t ruined that with my little freak out.”

“You won’t have,” Bianca said. “Just go talk to him and I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“I will,” Charlie exhaled. “So, how are things going with you and Heath?” Charlie said, changing the subject from her and Brax.

“Yeah we’re all good,” Bianca gave a little smile. “In fact we are back to trying for a baby again.”

“Aww,” Charlie gushed. “Lucy will make a great big sister.” Charlie said and on hearing her name, Lucy stopped jumping and ran over to the table, Grace following behind her. Both girls climbed up onto their mothers knees.

“Too much jumping.” Lucy said, picking up her mother’s juice and taking a drink.

Bianca ran her hand through Lucy’s blonde ponytail. “I just hope it happens this time,” Bianca exhaled. “We’d love a little boy to complete our family,” Bianca smiled hopefully. “Don’t get me wrong, we’d be more than pleased with another daughter, but, you know.”

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a smile as she wrapped her arms around her daughter as she cuddled into her, Charlie feeling her heart beating faster, most probably from all the trampoline jumping she’d done. “Well I hope it does happen for you,” Charlie said. “You make such beautiful kids,” Charlie smiled down at Lucy. “Even if she does look like her father.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

Bianca mocked offence. “My husband is gorgeous, thank you very much.” Bianca said before they both laughed a little. “Have you ever thought about having more children?” Bianca questioned.

“I thought about it with Angelo for sure,” Charlie answered. “I uhm....I wouldn’t say no to more children but I think I’d need to sort out my problems in the bedroom department first,” Charlie said. “Because I’m pretty sure you can’t get a baby without doing the deed.”

“Well technically these days you don’t actually have too,” Bianca started and Charlie gave a little laugh. “But no, I know what you mean. And you’ll get there.” Bianca gave her an encouraging smile, knowing it might just take some time, but she was already proud of how far Charlie had come in even attempting a relationship with Brax, she knew the rest would fall into place soon enough.

“So you going to make me ask?” April questioned as she sat down at the table, putting the smoothies down.

Ruby looked to her friend, knowing what she was talking about. “It’s going fine,” Ruby gave a little smile. “We’re going slow and such but.....” Ruby paused pulling her smoothie closer to her. “It’s nice to be around him again.”

April smiled. “Well I am glad you are giving it another go,” April took a drink of her smoothie. “But what’s going to happen in two weeks time when he needs to go back to Melbourne?” April watched as Ruby bit her lip and looked deep in though.

“Uhm,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “We haven’t really talked about that yet.” Ruby said. Although she hadn’t talked to Xavier about it, she’d thought about it already and new she didn’t want to go back to Melbourne and she wasn’t even sure if her mother would let her.

“You think you’ll transfer back to Melbourne?” April questioned.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “Not sure the uni’s would be pleased that I keep mucking around and well.....Melbourne just reminded me to much of dad and Andy and the drugs happened there,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “We’re probably just going to have to try long distance for a while.”

“Oh,” April inhaled. “You sure that’s wise?” April questioned. “You’re trying to repair your relationship. It’s probably best if you don’t put like 600 kilometres between you.”

Ruby sighed. “I know, but,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “There’s not much else we can do. And you know, if we can get through long distance for a little while it just proves that we can get through anything and we are meant to be.” Ruby gave a nervous sort of smile. Of course she was already worrying about what would happen with her and Xavier when he needed to go back to the police academy after the holidays.

“Well I guess it’s up to you how you deal with it,” April exhaled. “I just hope the distance doesn’t prove too hard to make it work.”

“Look, Xav and I have been together since we were 15,” Ruby said. “It’s not like we are starting out,” Ruby exhaled. “Yeah we hit some hurdles but, it’ll all be fine.” Ruby mumbled, hoping that indeed all would be fine when Xavier went back to the academy.

Thanks for the comments.

Forty-six

Charlie took a deep breath before walking up the stairs to the restaurant. She’d gone between the lunch and dinner time shifts, so she knew apart from Brax, it would be empty. She found him restocking the fridge behind the bar. “Hi,” Charlie looked nervous. It was the first time she’d seen Brax since what happened a couple of days before hand. She’d decided to give it a couple of days before talking to him, mostly so she could figure out what she wanted to say. Although she was tempted to text Brax, she decided in the end not too, but was a little saddened that he hadn’t bothered trying to get in touch with her either. Brax looked up to Charlie and gave her a weak smile before looking back to the fridge and putting in some more bottles of beer. “Been busy these last few days?”

“It’s not been too bad,” Brax answered. “Account book is in the office if that’s what you are here for,” Brax said, pointing through to the office. “And the receipt box is by the till.”

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “I’ll eh....go get that then and get out of your way.” Charlie spoke sadly before walking through to the office. She took a deep breath as she felt her eyes misting over. Although she knew this wouldn’t be easy on Brax, she felt he was being unfair on her. Trying to move on after Angelo was a huge deal for her and she thought that he understood that. She jumped a little as she felt Brax’s arms go around her from behind. She turned around, Brax’s arms still around her as she gripped tightly onto his back, her head buried in his chest.

“I love you Charlie,” Brax mumbled. “And I don’t want to push you into anything you’re not ready for,” Brax said. “I just think you need a bit more time before dating.”

“No, I’m ready to date. I’m ready for...for the next step,” Charlie sniffed back as she looked up at him. “I wanted too, I really did. It was just....I shared that bed with Angelo,” Charlie said. “I...it was our bed and it was just weird seeing someone else there,” Charlie told him. “I saw Angelo and it wouldn’t be fair having sex with you if I saw his face,” Charlie said. “I....”

“It’s okay,” Brax lightly rubbed her cheek. “We can wait.”

“I’m telling you I don’t want to wait,” Charlie replied. “I just think right now I can’t do it in our bed...in my bed...the bed I shared with Angelo.” Charlie swallowed a lump in her throat.

“So, you’re open for trying elsewhere?” Brax questioned, raising his eyebrows a little. Charlie gave a little nod before Brax smiled, placing a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie let the kiss deepen, before pulling back as his hands went under her skirt and caressed her bum cheeks.

“Not here though,” Charlie looked down. “This is....this was my husband’s restaurant and...” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Maybe we uhm....maybe we could have a date night at your place.” Brax gave a little smile as he tucked her hair behind her ear. He looked into her stunning blue eyes and could see how much she was trying and knew how much she wanted him.

“Date night at my place sounds great,” Brax smiled. “Do you think you’ll get a sitter for Grace for tonight?”

“I’m sure I could.” Charlie answered with a smile.

“Well how about you come around at 7?” Brax questioned. “We can have a nice meal, watch a movie....” Brax trailed off and Charlie nodded a little.

“You going to cook for me?” Charlie questioned.

“I don’t really want to put you through having to eat my cooking,” Brax gave a little laugh. “There’s a reason I work this side of the restaurant business.”

Charlie laughed. “No, you need to cook for me.” Charlie said.

“Okay but don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Brax said and Charlie laughed once again before they shared a kiss.

“I’ll see you in a few hours then.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod before Charlie left the restaurant both excited and nervous for their date.

“Wow you look hot,” Bianca widened her eyes as Charlie walked in the door, Grace running past her and running over to Lucy who was colouring at the coffee table. She put Lola ragdoll and Milly Monkey down on the floor next to where she was sitting and grabbed a crayon in her hand. “Give Grace some paper Luce,” Bianca said and Lucy passed Grace some paper before going back to her drawing, the girls soon in a conversation with each other.

“Thanks,” Charlie smiled at her friend. “Not over the top, am I?” Charlie questioned. Her hair had been straightened and left down, flowing down her back. Her make-up was smoky and she was wearing a purple strapless dress that cut just above the knee.

“Uh-uh,” Bianca shook her head. “Like I said, you look wow,” Bianca smiled at her friend and Charlie took a deep breath before exhaling nervously. “But just so you know, you don’t need to do it tonight if you don’t want.”

“I know,” Charlie put Grace’s overnight bag down on the floor. “We’ll just see how tonight goes,” Charlie said watching Grace busily colouring a picture. “You sure it’s alright for her to stay?”

“Of course,” Bianca answered. “She’s no problems at all.” Bianca smiled at Grace as she was concentrating hard on her picture, her little tongue sticking out.

“Thanks,” Charlie gave her friend a smile before walking over to Grace, bending down next to her and wrapping her arms around her daughter. “You be a good girl for Bianca, okay?” Charlie said. “You do as she says.”

“Yes mummy,” Grace turned her head up to face her. “I wills.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled as she moved Grace’s hair from in front of her face. “I love your picture,” Charlie smiled as she looked down to it. There were a few oranges circles, a blue scribble and lots of red squiggles. “It’s very good.”

Grace grinned. “It’s for buddy,” Grace picked it up and handed the picture to Charlie. “You gives him it.”

“I will,” Charlie ruffled Grace’s hair before pulling her into a hug. “Mummy loves you baby.”

“Love you mummy.” Grace placed lots of quick kisses on her mother’s cheek.

“I’ll see you in the morning okay?” Charlie said as she stood up, keeping a hold of the picture in her hand.

“Uh-huh.” Grace nodded before going to draw a second picture. Charlie exhaled as she looked to Bianca.

“I assume buddy is Brax?” Bianca questioned as they walked over to the door.

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “She’s taken to calling him that. It’s kinda cute.”

“Aww yeah,” Bianca gushed. “Anyways, I’ll let you get going. Have a nice night.” Bianca raised her eyebrows before showing Charlie out, hoping that the night would go how Charlie wanted it too.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Forty-seven

Charlie took a deep breath before knocking on the door to Brax’s apartment. She pursed her lips together as the door opened. “Hey,” Brax leaned in and gave her a peck on the lips. “How are you?”

“Good,” Charlie answered as she walked into the apartment. “How about you?”

“Fine.” Brax answered although Charlie could see he looked a little stressed. She gave him a smile as she followed him to the kitchen.

“Thanks for warning me about the lift being out of order,” Charlie exhaled. “Walking up to the 10th floor in these heels was no easy task.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Sorry,” Brax said. He lived in one of the fairly new twin-set 14 storey apartment blocks that were at the very edge of town, overlooking the harbour. “But in my defence they were supposed to be fixing it this afternoon.” Brax told her.

“They’ve only been built about 6 months,” Charlie sighed. “Things shouldn’t be breaking down already.”

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled as he stirred the pan as Charlie peaked in and saw what she thought was bolognaise sauce. “What you got there?” Brax gestured down to the piece of paper in her hand.

“Oh, yeah. This is from Grace,” Charlie said, handing the picture to him. Brax smiled as he looked down to it. “Wanted me to give it to her buddy.”

“Ahh hey,” Brax grinned. “I love it.” Brax walked over to the fridge and stuck it to the front with a couple of magnets.

Charlie smiled as she watched him staring at the picture, seeming genuinely chuffed at his little gift. “Not sure if she is going to be the next Van Gogh.” Charlie laughed.

“She’s already better than Van Gogh,” Brax turned to face Charlie and gave her a smile. “So, can I get you a drink?”

“Sure,” Charlie smiled as she looked through to the living room area. It was open plan and in-between the kitchen and living room was a 4 chaired round table. Three surf boards sat against the wall close to the door and there was an entertainment unit with a large flat screen TV and what must have been hundreds of DVDs. “Nice TV.” Charlie gestured across to it.

“Thanks, just had it about a week,” Brax exhaled. “Picture quality is unreal.”

“Ahh I must be paying you too much,” Charlie gave a little laugh as she heard Brax cussing. She widened her eyes and turned back to face him. “Everything alright?”

Brax looked annoyed with himself. “I forgot to bring the wine back from the restaurant.”

“Oh,” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “You stealing from my restaurant, Mr Braxton?” Charlie spoke with a disapproving tone as she walked closer to him.

“I was honestly going to leave the money,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I was, I swear,” Brax nodded his head once to prove his case. “I wouldn’t ever steal from the restaurant.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she wrapped her arms around his waist. “I’m sure I can overlook a bottle of wine every now and then,” Charlie gave a cheeky grin. “Especially if I am going to be the one drinking it.”

Brax gave a sigh of relief. “I eh I am sorry I for it though,” Brax said, wrapping his arms around her. “Is beer okay or I can pop out quickly and -”

“Beer is fine,” Charlie said before leaning up and placing a soft kiss on his lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little. “So, what’s for dinner?” Charlie questioned, pulling back.

“Well it was going to be Spaghetti Bolognaise because it’s about the only think I can make,” Brax gave a little laugh. “But,” He paused as he opened the fridge and took out two bottles of beer, unscrewing the tops and handing one to Charlie. “Just before you came in I opened my spaghetti container to see it was empty, so I put some noodles on,” Brax said and Charlie let out a high pitched snort before slapping her hand over her mouth. He looked to her, a little confused at her outburst. “They are the same thing, pretty much, right?” Brax questioned.

“I’m sure it’ll be fine.” Charlie said biting her lip, stopping herself from laughing.

“Not it won’t, you’re laughing,” Brax banged his bottle onto the worktop with great force that the bottle fizzed up and beer started dripping down the top. “I’m messing this whole night up.” Brax banged his fist against the worktop in frustration.

Charlie pursed her lips together. She wanted to laugh at Brax and how worked up he was getting but she didn’t want to upset him anymore that he clearly already was. She put her beer on the worktop and rubbed his back. “It’s alright,” Charlie said. “I’m sure it’ll be fine. Noodles are good and bolognaise sauce is good,” Charlie rubbed his back. “And you’re right. Noodles and spaghetti....they are....similar.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she raised her eyebrows.

“Now, is there anything you want me to do?” Charlie asked and Brax looked down to her shaking his head.

“No,” Brax told her. “Just go sit down at the table and I’ll serve up this disaster.” Brax sighed as he walked over to the cooker as Charlie walked over to the table and took a seat.

Ruby and Xavier were walking hand-in-hand along the sidewalk, making their way to the movies. “Xav.” Ruby questioned, biting her lip as she looked around to him.

“Yeah?” Xavier stopped walking and leaned himself against the wall.

“What’s going to happen when you go back to Melbourne?” Ruby questioned. She couldn’t really think of anything else since her chat with April and she wanted to see Xavier’s thoughts on the matter.

“Uhm,” Xavier scratched the back of his head. “I’ve not really thought about it,” Xavier exhaled and Ruby bowed her head down, looking a little sadden. “I mean, I know we’ll need to but right now I’ve just been enjoying the fact we are back together.” Xavier told her and Ruby gave a little smile.

“You know we will need to talk though,” Ruby said. “Do you think we will can do long-distance?” Ruby asked. “Especially with.....well,” Ruby bit her lip. “Would you trust me?”

Xavier gave a sort of snigger. “I’m giving you another chance, aren’t I?” Xavier questioned. “So...I must on some levels.” Xavier exhaled.

Ruby gave him a weak smile. “I don’t want to be with anyone but you, Xav.” Ruby told him, putting her hand on his cheek and rubbing it gently. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Well Skype,” Xavier told her. “And text and you could maybe come visit for the odd weekend and I’ll always be back here for holidays and such,” Xavier said. “And next year I get my placement and hopefully I can get one closer to home, if not, here.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “We should make a promise now, once a week we Skype chat each other.”

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Xavier smiled. “And you know they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, so....” Xavier raised his eyebrows before placing a kiss on Ruby’s lips. “But, we’ll make it work. If we really want it to it will.”

“Yeah, just this will be a big test on the relationship.” Ruby sighed sadly. Of course she’s rather be closer to Xavier, especially after all what’s happened with the recently, but, unfortunately this is just the way things were going to be right now.

“I know,” Xavier answered. “And, we’ll just have to make the most of the time we have together right now eh?” Xavier tucked her hair behind her ear as she gave a little nod. “Now, c’mon, let’s go before we are late for this movie.” Xavier said, taking Ruby’s hand and the pair of the continuing to walk to the movies for their date.

Thanks for the comments. I am feeling a little lost at where to go with this fiction, so I am thinking of bringing it to an end soon. :(

Forty-eight

Charlie and Brax were on the couch. They’d eaten the noodles and bolognaise and Brax served up a slightly burned lemon meringue pie for dessert. Although Charlie insisted it was fine and that it was hard to get meringue right, Brax was still upset that so much of the night had seemed to go wrong. They’d watched a movie and right now were snuggled up on the couch. “So, I don’t expect you’ll want me to cook for you again anytime soon given that disaster?” Brax sighed.

Charlie turned to face him. “Ah so now it’s all so clear,” Charlie said. “You deliberately did this so you didn’t need to cook for me again?” Charlie laughed as she playfully hit his chest.

“I wish,” Brax sighed. “No, unfortunately, all this happened for real.” Brax said raising his eyebrows in annoyance at himself.

“Well this sort of did get sprung on you,” Charlie said. “You only had a few hours to prepare,” Charlie pulled at the label on her bottle of beer. “But it’s so not getting you off the hook,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “You’ll cook for me again.”

“More noodles and bolognaise?” Brax laughed.

“If that’s what you want to cook,” Charlie put the beer bottle down on the coffee table before looking back to Brax. “The bolognaise was lovely.” Charlie smiled.

Brax returned a smile. “Does monkey like bolognaise?”

“She does.” Charlie gave a little nod.

“Well I’ll have to cook it for you both sometime,” Brax said. “And Rubes if she’s about.” Brax added and Charlie gave a little smile. She loved how much Brax always tried to include her kids. He just had that fathering quality about him and she knew he’d make a great father.

“Yeah sounds good.” Charlie gave him a smile before looking into his mesmerizing eyes. He smiled at her and leaned in, placing a soft loving kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her tiny frame towards him so their bodies were pressed together.

“Mmm,” Brax pulled back, both of them looking into each other’s eyes with smile on their faces. “So, do you want to watch another movie or if you uhm.....are you heading home or...”

“I don’t want to go home,” Charlie spoke with a hint of nerves in her voice. “But if you want me too -”

Charlie was cut off by Brax’s lips smacking against hers. The kissing got more intense as Brax pushed Charlie down on the couch and straddled over her, his hand resting against the couch to hold up his weight. Charlie started to unbutton his shirt as the kissing only intensified. She ran her hands over his bare chest and round to his back, pushing him a little closer down to her. Brax pulled back and looked into her eyes. He gave her a smile as he rubbed her cheek. “Are you sure you want too?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod, kissing him hard on the lips. Brax smiled as he stood up from the couch and took Charlie’s hands into his, pulling her up and wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her in for another kiss. Charlie took his shirt from him and threw it down to the floor as they made their way through to Brax’s bedroom.

“Mummy,” Grace ran over to Charlie and jumped into her arms. “I miss you.” Grace held her arms tightly around Charlie’s neck.

“I missed you too monkey,” Charlie said placing a kiss on her temple. “Were you a good girl for Bianca?” Charlie questioned and Grace nodded her head as Charlie put her down on the floor.

“I draws.” Grace grabbed Charlie’s hand and dragged her through to the living room, pointing to a pile of pictures.

“Ah wow you have been busy huh?” Charlie ruffled her hair as Grace gave a toothy grin. There must have been at least 10 drawings that Grace claimed to be hers. “Ah sorry, hey Bianca.” Charlie smiled at her friend as Grace ran back over to play with Lucy.

“Hi,” Bianca smiled at her. “So c’mon, I am dying here.” Bianca squeaked as she looked to her friend, desperate to know if anything happened between her and Brax.

“What?” Charlie gave a sly laugh but she knew exactly what Bianca was getting at.

“C’mon,” Bianca gave a little jump before hitting her friends arm. “How did it go?”

“Ahh you want to know how the date went?” Charlie questioned teasing her friend a little longer. “Well you should have said that.”

“Charlie.” Bianca pleaded and Charlie laughed.

“It was a very nice night,” Charlie said. “We had dinner, watched a movie....” Charlie trailed off. “His bed is very comfy.” Charlie bit her lip as she tried to stop a grin from appearing on her face.

“So you did?” Bianca widened her eyes as a girly squeal escaped her. The girls looked up at her a little perplexed before going back to playing.

Charlie cleared her throat. “I’m not one to give away that sort of information.” Charlie couldn’t help but smile.

“Oh c’mon,” Bianca playfully hit her friends arm. “Yes you are.”

“Ah,” Charlie gasped, mocking offence. “Right okay, in all seriousness.....yes, we did,” Charlie grinned. Bianca squealed once again as she grabbed her friends arm. “My goodness you are more excited than me.” Charlie laughed.

“Sorry, I just....I know how much of a struggled this has been and I’m really happy things are going so well for you,” Bianca smiled. “So,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “How was it?” Bianca nudged her friends arm.

“All I will say is there will definitely be many replays.” Charlie couldn’t help but smile cheekily as she raised her eyebrows.

“Oh,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “Well I’m happy for you. You feel alright about Angelo?”

“Eh,” Charlie curled her nose up. “I did feel a little bit weird after the sex, but,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “It was like I expected him to be knocked from my brain if I slept with someone else, but,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head. “I still remember and love him.” Charlie said as she played with her now bare wedding ring finger.

“I always thought you would have,” Bianca rubbed her arm. “And any time you want me to watch Grace so you can have some time with Brax alone...” Bianca trailed off as she raised her eyebrows. “That’s fine.”

“Thanks,” Charlie smiled. “Normally Rubes would be around though hey,” Charlie said “It was just because she had a date with Xavier.”

“Xavier?” Bianca’s eyes widened. “They back together?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “I’m a bit surprised but glad. She’s way happier so she’s easier to be around,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “And I can return the favour and watch Lucy one night if you want. Especially if you and Heath plan on baby making.” Charlie gave a grin as she raised her eyebrows.

“Might just take you up on that soon.” Bianca gave a little smile.

“Right monkey, c’mon,” Charlie picked up Grace’s Peppa Pig overnight bag. Grace ran over to her mother and Charlie put it onto her back, before picking up Lola and Milly from the couch, Grace taking them in her hands. “What do you say to Bianca?”

“Thank you,” Grace ran forward and gave her a hug. “Bye Lucy.”

“Bye.” Lucy waved as she ran over to where they were standing and hugged against her mother’s leg.

“See ya Lucy.” Charlie smiled down at the little girl before leaving the house with Grace, a smile still on her face as she thought about the night before.

Thanks for the comments. So, I’ve come up with an idea that will keep this story going however I’m not really sure I want to go that way, so would also take suggestions of plot ideas from you because I would be sad to end this fiction.

Forty-nine

For the few weeks, Charlie and Brax continued to have their ‘special’ date nights at Brax’s place. Charlie really wanted Brax to be able to stay over at her place though and after a bit of thought, decided that getting a new bed would probably be the easiest way to allow that to happen. She had no problems with Brax being in the house and they’d done plenty of kissing in the place and it didn’t make her freak out, so, all she could think of was getting rid of the bed she once shared with her husband and she’d be able to created new memories with Brax in a new bed. The thought of it sounded completely stupid to her, but she didn’t really know how else she would get passed it. “Why you get new bed?” Grace questioned as she ran into Charlie’s room, Milly and Lola under each of her arms. She threw them up onto the bed before she climbed up and started jumping up and down, picking Lola and Milly up as the bounced at her force.

“I just fancied a new one.” Charlie told her daughter, letting have a little jump on it.

“I get new one?” Grace asked her breathing getting heavy with all her jumping.

“No,” Charlie told her. “You don’t need a new bed.” Charlie said.

“Aww,” Grace moaned. “Lola Milly need one.” Grace said her jumping slowing down.

Charlie laughed. “I’m sure they are fine sharing with you,” Charlie said, walking over to Grace and pulling her close to her for a hug. She placed a kiss on her temple before lifting her off the bed. “Right sweetie mummy has to go to work.” Charlie sighed.

“I go Marlins?” Grace questioned.

“Nope, Marilyn is sick.” Charlie told her daughter as they walked out of Charlie’s bedroom and down the hall to the living room.

“Bee?” Grace asked, looking up to her mother.

“No she has work.” Charlie said lifting Grace up onto the couch so she could put her little white sandals on for her.

“Uby?” Grace questioned as she curled her nose up, not sure who was going to be looking after her today while her mother was at work.

“She has school.” Charlie told her daughter and Grace screwed her face up even more.

“Then who?” Grace said as she held her hands out to the side, Milly and Lola going with them.

“Brax,” Charlie told her. “Would you like that?”

“Yeah my buddy.” Grace’s little face lit up as Charlie lifted her from the couch. She took Lola and Milly from her and lay them on the couch before picking up Grace’s little white cardi and putting it on her over her pale yellow dress. She gave a smile as she moved her plait pigtails a little before tapping her daughter on the nose.

“Cute as a button.” Charlie gushed before kissing her daughter.

Grace smiled. “You too mummy.” Grace hit Charlie’s nose with the palm of her hand before she kissed her. Charlie laughed at her daughter before looking up as the doorbell rang. She walked over to answer it, smiling as she saw her boyfriend at the other side.

“Hey,” Brax smiled as he kissed her cheek. “And wow look at you Grace,” Brax smiled down at the girl. “You’re all dressed up pretty for our little date huh?”

“Yeah,” Grace nodded, running forward and hugging Brax’s leg. Brax laughed as he pulled her back from his leg and bent down to her level, before giving her a proper hug. “Mummy got new bed.” Grace said as she pulled back.

“Oh yeah,” Brax looked up to Charlie and gave her a puzzled expression. “Was about to ask what you’d been getting with those boxes out for the trash.”

“Yeah I uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I thought it might help with.....you know.” Charlie raised her eyebrows and Brax gave a nod of understanding.

“Right, yeah. We’ll need to try it out sometime then eh,” Brax raised his eyebrows and Charlie gave a nod. “Eh, so can I grab her car seat from your car?” Brax questioned. “And we’ll head out.” Charlie gave a little nod as they left the house and walked over to Charlie’s car, taking out Grace’s car seat and handing it to Brax. He looked down to it before looking back to Charlie.

“You don’t know how to fix it to the seat, do you?” Charlie questioned and Brax shook his head, watching as Grace ran around in circles around him. Charlie took it back from him and set it up in his car before grabbing Grace, stopping her from running around. “You be good for Brax and I’ll see you tonight, okay?” Charlie questioned and Grace gave a nod as Charlie hugged her. “See you later.” Charlie smiled at Brax before they shared a quick kiss before Charlie got in her car and drove off to work.

“So, how are things with you and Xav?” April questioned as she met her friend for a spot of lunch between classes.

“They’re good,” Ruby gave a little smile. “We text most days and we Skype every Sunday,” Ruby told April. “I miss him but we’re making it work.” Ruby gave a weaker smile.

“Well that’s good,” April smiled. “You planning on visiting him anytime soon or he coming home for a weekend?” April asked before biting into her sandwich.

“I can’t face Melbourne right now,” Ruby sighed. “But he said he might come home in the next few weeks. Says he is really busy with the academy right now so don’t know if it’ll be an option.”

“Aww well hopefully it is,” April said. “I know you guys are trying hard to keep things up but you do need to see each other.” April said, before taking a drink of her juice. She knew it must be hard for them both and couldn’t imagine being away from Dexter for a long amount of time, because even though there were times where he drove her crazy, she still deeply loved him.

“I know,” Ruby exhaled sadly. “To be honest sometimes it’s harder Skyping him. You know I can see him and hear him but I can’t touch him....I can’t kiss him....” Ruby trailed off. “Maybe I am just going to have to be brave and go back to Melbourne for a weekend,” Ruby sighed. “We’ve got the long weekend this weekend so maybe I can get a cheap flight across.”

“Yeah maybe.” April said.

“We’ll see.” Ruby sighed before taking a bite of her sandwich. She knew long distance was going to be hard, she just didn’t expect it to be this hard.

Brax had taken Grace to the arts centre in Reefton Lakes. After drawing a handful of pictures they’d moved on to the clay room and Grace was taking an extra long time to decide what figure she wanted to paint. They had everything from cats, dogs, tea-cups, vases, picture frames, most anything you could think of. “I no no,” Grace shook her head. “Buddy,” Grace pulled on Brax’s hand. “What one”?

“Uhm...” Brax rubbed his chin. “Oh what about this one?” Brax questioned picking up a monkey holding a banana. “It’s a monkey just like you.” Brax leaned down and tickled her sides causing Grace to giggle in delight.

“Uh-huh.” Grace nodded and Brax passed her down the monkey.

“You be careful with that.” Brax ordered and Grace nodded before looking down to the monkey in her hand, watching she didn’t drop it and let it smash.

“What one you?” Grace asked looking back up to him.

“Ahh I’ll just sit and watch you.” Brax told her and Grace furrowed her eyebrows as she shook her head at Brax.

“You gotta do one.” Grace told him sternly and Brax gave a little laugh before picking up a vase, thinking Charlie might find the gift a little funny.

“Right, let’s go find a table,” Brax said and he and Grace walked through the room until they found a free table, the paints already out and ready for anyone to use. He put the vase down and took a paint brush from the holder, before looking down at all the colours of paint he could use. “You know mummy’s favourite colour?” Brax questioned and Grace scratched the side of her head.

“Blue,” Grace told him. “She likes that.”

“Blue,” Brax gave a little nod thinking he should probably have known that. And the fact that Charlie’s bedroom was blue and the living room had some blue in it might have been a giveaway. “You going to paint your monkey?” Brax asked, dipping his paint brush into the lightest of the blue shades available and starting at the top, thinking he’d paint it darker and darker the further down he got.

“I thinking.” Grace said as she stared at what seemed to be too many choices of colour.

“Oh let’s get shirt over this little one,” Brax looked up as he heard a lady’s voice and saw a young woman walking over to them holding an old t-shirt that already had lots of paint splodges over it. “Pretty little dress like that can’t get covered in paint,” The woman put the t-shirt over Grace, which was about 3 sizes too big for her, but, it would save her clothes getting covered in paint. Grace looked down to it and ran her hand down her front over the multicoloured splodges. “Did you not see the box of them over there?” The lady asked and Brax shook his head.

“Nah but I was thinking that all the other kids’ parents were really prepared bringing something like that with them.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Oh silly daddy,” The lady laughed. “We can’t have daddy taking you home to mummy with paint over that lovely dress, can we?” The lady smiled down to Grace as she spoke.

“He no daddy,” Grace shook her head. “He’s buddy.”

“Ah I see.” The lady gave a little nod.

“She’s my girlfriend’s daughter,” Brax informed the lady. “Super kid though.”

“She’s gorgeous,” The lady smiled. “How old is she?”

“Almost 2 and a half.” Brax answered before he looked down to Grace and smiled.

The lady smiled at the way Brax looked at Grace. “Well you two have fun painting,” The lady said. “I love the monkey you picked, it’s my favourite one.”

“My name monkey.” Grace told her and the lady gave a little laugh.

“Well then monkey you enjoy painting with buddy.” The lady said before she walked off, seeing a family walking in and looking like they needed some help. Grace wiped her hand over her cheek before picking her paint brush back up and dipping it into the pink paint before getting to work on her monkey.

Archived