Jodi Anasta ponders Bay return

Guest Mishyy

^ You've got to elaborate on why he was horrible in all aspects you've mentioned.

I think the actor was quite good to be honest and even though he came across as dislikable to the viewers, his character is quite complex. Now it's easy to say that he was a troublemaker and that's all he did throughout his time, but I think Ailsa's death had a profound impact on him. As a teenager, Duncan was already getting up to some mischief, and while it wasn't malicious it was certainly noticeable, but we didn't think too much about it, because sometimes teenage behaviours can be crazy and out there, but on top of being a teenager, you can't blame him for being angry and obnoxious towards everyone considering he went through something that not many other kids his age go through with losing a parent.

I think after Alf's 60th Birthday, he finally began to turn over a new leaf and he realised his actions were hurting others around him and he finally acknowledged what happened to his mother. To me he sounds like he's changed and grown up after getting married in 2009 off-screen. It'd be great to see what's been up to lately, and just remember he's connected to many iconic characters.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be very difficult to bring him back considering the length of time since he left. I thought he was a well written character although as some have pointed out not particularly likeable.

If he was to come back the writers would have to go to considerable lengths to re-establish his character and introduce him to the many new viewers who would have no idea who he is. Relationships would have to be explained and in some cases re-established.

I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be done but it would have to be very carefully researched and written to be a success and of value to the current show.

Yes Roo has been a success. It's good to link the past show with the developement that is taking it into the future but it has to be carefully and thoroughly done. The balance has to be right too so that the show continues to move into the future and develope while acknowledging its past. Returns of past characters can be overdone.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to see Martha return. She was a big part of the show for a long time and when she left, she left a massive hole. Her character has connections to the beginning of the show (Roo having baby Martha back in 1988) so I think its important for a show like Home and Away which is based around families to continue with this family unit style of show.

I would like to see Martha return after being released from jail after helping Hugo escape from being in police custody. Her storyline could be about her coming back to Summer Bay and having everything change. People not being so forgiving and someone else living in her farm house. She would find it hard to adjust back into life being outside jail and the viewers could join her on her journey.

Archived