Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, considering Fisher has always been my joint-favourite character with Vinnie, it is pretty poor that I had never seen his final (he'd come back, of course) episode until watching the recording this morning. Can't remember why I stopped watching sometime around 03 but it was probably in protest at Vinnie seemingly being killed off in the prison fire. Got back into H&A in 09 and managed to watch many episodes between 03 and 09 on Youtube but, like someone else said, I never could find Fisher's departure on there.

I don't cry at television screens but that made me come close, and once again I'm very glad I've watched/am watching the 7Two run. Firstly because I have seen how Fisher was with Bobby (that's all a bit before my time) and it has made him even greater in my eyes. Secondly, that little, brilliantly done, flashback montage of Fisher moments beginning with him dressed in that cool punk outfit trying to get down with the kids. If I hadn't watched the 7Two run i'd be wondering what the hell that was about. Instead, in the middle of an incredibly sad episode, I suddenly got a great unexpected laugh and could reflect back to that episode as if I was actually alive to watch it originally. Think the current show massively lacks the ability to blend sadness with something funny in that way.

PS. I doubt Kate Ritchie had to create any imaginary tears to see good old Fisher off. And either Norman Corburn is acting incredibly well or i'd like to think that Don's speech applies to Norman too.

I noticed that and then once I noticed it, it made the next set where Joey's shot by the pool feel really jarring as he was appearing in two credit shots in a row.

My guess is the tried something arty and felt it didn't work.

I suppose with the later one it was like Shannon and Chloe being in Rebecca's shot, but yes, as a two person shot it didn't work.

Watching the Fisher lost at sea episode now - I remember Travis having two different boats, but were they both called Blaxland? The one used in that episode looks different to the current one.

Shannon and Chloe is OK, I think, because even though she's not wearing exactly the same thing, Shannon comes into the next shot late and looks like she could have come from what she was doing in the shot before. It may have worked better had they cut to Joey walk along the side of the swimming pool rather than sitting.

It can be weird what you remember and what you don't. I completely remember Harry but have no recollection of June (although I may have stopped watching before she really appeared). I'm afraid she sticks in my mind only as mad Mary who kidnapped Pepper in Neighbours before promptly trying to kill her in an inferno a few years ago.

Caught the mineshaft episode online at lunchtime.I had seen it before, it seems to have been one earlier in the week I missed, but found it quite enjoyable, even if it did rely on Rhys doing an idiotic "Let's not bother getting help, I'll climb down while you two stand on an unstable shaft cover."Not sure about the VFX side, the live action mineshaft was good but that CGI overhead shot was a bit awkward.But I actually found the characterisation very effective:Rhys quietly panicking while he's alone but putting on a brave face for the family, Rhys and Kirsty's bond being re-emphasised, Jade being the most fragile both emotionally and physically(I wonder if someone remembered her childhood asthma, given she seemed more breathless than the others?).Kit looked rather swish and I was surprised and pleased that she came across as the only sane one while Seb and Scott were in dire need of a slap.Nice to get the "It's Angie" moment in there too, although I always felt Tasha being Angie's exact double was a bit overdone.

2004 Olympic cliffhanger.I don't know, maybe repeated viewing dulls its impact because I remember finding it quite dark at the time.But I felt it dragged horribly, the attempts at casual conversation in the first half seem forced and it's hard to sustain interest in Jesse offering Kane a job when there's a mad woman with a gun on the way.It's vaguely interesting to see who supports who during the siege-Leah comforting Kane, Jesse holding old friend Sally while Flynn's busy doing the doctor stuff-but that's the closest to decent character moments we get.Even at the time, I found it frustrating that the whole thing is down to Scott's criminal stupidity in placing all his friends in danger rather than leading Sarah on a wild goose chase, especially when Dani wasn't even in danger(well, not until she decided to come racing after them anyway).I find that's often one of Dan Bennett's biggest faults, having everyone act stupid in order for the story to work.Sarah does have an unstable edge which just about stops her descending into panto villainy, even though I found some aspects a bit silly.(Pretty soon we'll be treated to Eve Jacobsen deciding that instead of going after people who were actually involved in the storyline, she'll target a bunch of people who just happen to live in Summer Bay, even if they never met Sarah or weren't even in town at the time.)The closing minutes, when you get a real feeling that Sarah's just going to start killing them all, were pretty tense, however.

Well, the aftermath's often better than the event and, whether because I haven't seen it in yonks or because I find myself more drawn to these "ordinary" episodes(mind the ghost), I enjoyed the second episode more.Pretty much the final act for the Sutherlands, as all of them bar Kirsty leave in the space of a few months(and she didn't last that long into 2005).Max seems oddly grown up and worryingly cynical here, I always wished they could have had him stay with the Hunters as I rather liked the friendship he built up with Henry and Matilda.(And yes, Mattie is today's "Yikes, you look young.")Guess this is heading towards Henry getting mixed up with Ric.Nice use of Alf's recent experience in his chat with Hayley, Flynn's doubts would ultimately come full circle when he learned Kit had seen Noah as well and realised there were more things in heaven and earth.It is kind of ironic watching those scenes knowing that ultimately it was Scott and Hayley who went off to Paris together, even without knowing what's coming up there's a doomed air about Scott and Dani despite Hayley and Noah acting like they're going to get a happy ending.

Archived