Have you seen any improvement over the last few weeks?

Guest Light of the Bay

Since you know Marilyn as she is now, I'd be interested to know what it is about her that you would say is 'well rounded'? Have you ever seen what she used to be like back in her first two stints? I'm always interested in view points of people who are relatively new to the show because they don't have it's past to compare it to so to speak.

You're right, I've got no idea how Marilyn used to be. Same that I didn't know that Irene used to be an alcoholic until I read it on here. I'm not sure it matters though if somebody doesn't know the history. For a soap to be successful it has to be accessible to new people. Of course that's no excuse for sloppy writing. From what I've seen of Marilyn in the last two years, she is caring, motherly, friendly, not-judgemental, a bit of a ditz, diplomatic and a great comedy actress. She's into spiritual things and has her own mobile hairdressing business (despite never cutting anybody's hair). I don't think that's very one dimensional. Roo and Marilyn have had some great comedy scenes together.

...how inconsistent all of the characters are I.e something bad happens to them and then a couple of weeks later, sometimes episodes later, its as if it didn't ever happen and it is all forgotten about. H&A used to be pretty spot on at being really consistent and showing decent follow through. Irene and Bianca prime examples of the bad writing (cancer, rape).

You're absolutely right on that point. Even my housemate who only watches Home & Away over my shoulder now and then has noticed it. But I actually quite like that about the show too. What's the point in dwelling on something for weeks? In UK soaps when somebody dies it lasts for weeks, there's funerals, misery and inevitable spirals into depression for one or more characters. I like the fact that Bianca has moved on from her rape, that Irene has beaten cancer, and that Ruby isn't still mourning Charlie (even if it has made her bonkers). I think H&A treads this line quite well.

In regards to 'trashy'. See I think all the over hyped sex, romance and lust the show focuses on these days as trashy TV because it takes minimal effort to write that sort of thing, is more often than not story focused and yet it takes up 80% of screen time. What would you consider 'trashy' about the show in 2000?

I can't remember much about the show in 2000, I think mainly the visual style of it stands out to be as trashy - but obviously that's nothing to do with the writing. I honestly couldn't tell you a single storyline although I do remember tuning in around the time that Ailsa died. I don't think H&A is over-sexed, mainly because you never really see any sex, it's all implied - and I think sex storylines can be important anyway, like Ruby trying to get pregnant.

People do have sex at the end of the day - and lots of it (sometimes!) but I don't think the way H&A approaches sex is trashy. It's not a total lust-fest with everybody banging strangers on the beach.

I think the leisure centre and council election is a great example of a fun, community led storyline which took up a lot of screen time. Gina looking after Jett surely harks back to the show's roots?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bianca is not a well rounded character!! Where I am in Norway we are in late 2010/early 2011 season and she is a snobby teacher who is engaged to a prince, but attrached to the more warm Liam.... but she is a very responsible teacher and is trying to make Liam a better person.

And from what I've read - in Aus/UK pace she is with a criminal and gang member with a bad temper, have had a child with him... That is not the Bianca they described in 2010/early 2011 season.

And Leah??? When they put her in the forefront of the show again in early 2010 season, after being in the background for a few years the writing of her has been all over the place. She had lost 2 husbands and then she was pining over Elijah and had a lot of breakdowns because he wanted to go Africa.... she didn't even fit with him. And her so called friendship with Charlie.... that was/is not believable, Charlie was not Leah's type... She had two wonderful friendships with girls on her own age which was believable: Sally and Rachel. The Leah we knew from a few years ago wouldn't have supported the gang leader and the criminal boyfriend of her housmate/friend who actually in a way was to blame for Charlies death (and he had a family), instead of her daughter who actually had no one. And she would certainly not have had fallen for him!

I do agree that the show changed in the Australian 2005 season, but I also think it changed again in late 2009/early 2010 season and became even worse! Now they are doing things just for the sake of it, without caring about the storyline they are telling. And they treated sensitive topics far better in 2005-2008 than they have done from late 2009 and onwards.

The problem that has been the past few years I think is that they are not exploring the characters.... They are eploring the romances and changes the characters personality just to suit the romance... So called romantic relationships have been the main thing on the show... without the show becoming more romantic. Earlier on I feel they put the characters and their personality and backstories first, and then romance.

Another problem are sensationalism and the tendency to try to stir up the audience. Then when the public are rooting for the couple, they are breaking up and moving to the next just to cause some waves.... Well it worked earlier on, but this tendency to stir up has become a habit and it is really tiring. We never se a good couple or a friendship building anymore. Even in the years 2005-2009 it was far better than it is now. (saw some eps UK pace earlier this year).

And earlier on they started to explore the characters first and then put them in a relationship later. The characters personality came first, and then the romance. And when the characters were in a relationship they had other storylines than about each other, they were still doctors, teachers, friends with others and having other storylines. With todays writing we would never have have had wonderful couples like Sally and Flynn, Rebecca and Travis, Noah and Haley... I don't think we would have had characters and couples like Aden and Belle, Tony and Rachel either.... because even when they had their problems and break ups, we knew the characters and they were working through their issues and developed a lot just to be able to be together.

Since you know Marilyn as she is now, I'd be interested to know what it is about her that you would say is 'well rounded'? Have you ever seen what she used to be like back in her first two stints? I'm always interested in view points of people who are relatively new to the show because they don't have it's past to compare it to so to speak.

You're right, I've got no idea how Marilyn used to be. Same that I didn't know that Irene used to be an alcoholic until I read it on here. I'm not sure it matters though if somebody doesn't know the history. For a soap to be successful it has to be accessible to new people. Of course that's no excuse for sloppy writing. From what I've seen of Marilyn in the last two years, she is caring, motherly, friendly, not-judgemental, a bit of a ditz, diplomatic and a great comedy actress. She's into spiritual things and has her own mobile hairdressing business (despite never cutting anybody's hair). I don't think that's very one dimensional. Roo and Marilyn have had some great comedy scenes together.

...how inconsistent all of the characters are I.e something bad happens to them and then a couple of weeks later, sometimes episodes later, its as if it didn't ever happen and it is all forgotten about. H&A used to be pretty spot on at being really consistent and showing decent follow through. Irene and Bianca prime examples of the bad writing (cancer, rape).

You're absolutely right on that point. Even my housemate who only watches Home & Away over my shoulder now and then has noticed it. But I actually quite like that about the show too. What's the point in dwelling on something for weeks? In UK soaps when somebody dies it lasts for weeks, there's funerals, misery and inevitable spirals into depression for one or more characters. I like the fact that Bianca has moved on from her rape, that Irene has beaten cancer, and that Ruby isn't still mourning Charlie (even if it has made her bonkers). I think H&A treads this line quite well.

In regards to 'trashy'. See I think all the over hyped sex, romance and lust the show focuses on these days as trashy TV because it takes minimal effort to write that sort of thing, is more often than not story focused and yet it takes up 80% of screen time. What would you consider 'trashy' about the show in 2000?

I can't remember much about the show in 2000, I think mainly the visual style of it stands out to be as trashy - but obviously that's nothing to do with the writing. I honestly couldn't tell you a single storyline although I do remember tuning in around the time that Ailsa died. I don't think H&A is over-sexed, mainly because you never really see any sex, it's all implied - and I think sex storylines can be important anyway, like Ruby trying to get pregnant.

People do have sex at the end of the day - and lots of it (sometimes!) but I don't think the way H&A approaches sex is trashy. It's not a total lust-fest with everybody banging strangers on the beach.

I think the leisure centre and council election is a great example of a fun, community led storyline which took up a lot of screen time. Gina looking after Jett surely harks back to the show's roots?

I agree that you don't have to know the history. I suppose I just think it's a shame that newer viewers don't get to see what the show used to be like because to me, it was a far better production in regards to writing.

It was full of character lead drama that did have ramifications and shaped the characters realistically. They didn't drag it on in a depressing way either like they do in the UK soaps (from what I've seen), more often than not, something poignant or light hearted would happen to help the characters move forward and friends were always seen to be helping the other characters out on screen. It wasn't soppy, it was just feel-good, aspiration sort of stuff.

For instance Irene used to be quite a comical character, putting her foot in it at times but she was also fiercely loyal and had very strong emotional bonds with the kids she lived with throughout the 90's and early 00 - all of which were seen on-screen. However being a mother wasn't the only thing to define her, each year and in between the major storylines she would, as all other characters did, have continuing sub plots that would shape the character subtly as the years go by. Whereas these days, those sort of plots, friendships and bonds are all left off screen and all we are left with is an actor behind a counter saying lines, being called Irene. To me, that makes the current show feel very cold and uninviting.

It's difficult to describe because people like Alf and Marilyn had more depth and purpose too. Marilyn actually had very specific dialogue - she would often get things muddled up which would make her more endearing and unique. She was also very innocent and child like. The very basic elements are still there, but I'd say she is currently only 50% the character she once was. Leah even used to be quite a different character to what she is now.

For instance Irene used to be quite a comical character... these days, those sort of plots, friendships and bonds are all left off screen and all we are left with is an actor behind a counter saying lines, being called Irene. To me, that makes the current show feel very cold and uninviting.

I think things like this happen in all soaps. Take Betty in Coronation Street for example - she was reduced to just saying "yes luvvie?" behind the counter in the pub. I suppose there could be logistical or contractual reasons why some characters like Irene don't get to appear more than they do. It could be that some of the actors are tired of working on the show. They seem to bend over backwards to keep Alf in the cast, letting the actor disappear for months at a time. I still find Irene quite comical and I'm not put off by the team working in the diner - humour comes from those situations too and whilst I'd love Irene to have more scenes to me she feels as much part of the Summer Bay community as everyone else.

In real life there are some people you see more than others - so whilst it's a shame we only really see Irene in the Diner, she's still a warm friendly character and if you don't know the past I suppose you don't feel like you're missing out too much.

Marilyn actually had very specific dialogue - she would often get things muddled up which would make her more endearing and unique. She was also very innocent and child like. The very basic elements are still there, but I'd say she is currently only 50% the character she once was. Leah even used to be quite a different character to what she is now.

I suppose it might be quite different now but that sounds similar to the Marilyn I love - putting her foot in it! Like when she read Roo's tarot cards recently and said some really awkward things about her and Sid.

Bianca is not a well rounded character!! Where I am in Norway we are in late 2010/early 2011 season and she is a snobby teacher who is engaged to a prince, but attrached to the more warm Liam.... but she is a very responsible teacher and is trying to make Liam a better person.

And from what I've read - in Aus/UK pace she is with a criminal and gang member with a bad temper, have had a child with him... That is not the Bianca they described in 2010/early 2011 season.

You're probably right. I suppose what I meant by listing Leah, Bianca is that they're really good actresses and so whilst their character may change with time, what matters is they always sell that to me. Bianca's scenes with the psychosis were phenomenal.

It does seem to me that a lot of the long term viewers share the opinion that the show is not what is used to be. I still watch though in the hope that it will return a far more enjoyable show that feels like Home and Away again. As I have said previously, the show is so far away from that at the moment, the only way i can see them achieving this is by bring back some characters who used to be in it.

Yes there has been some storylines that have been more Home and Away that we used to know such as Gina taking in Jett which baystar mentioned. However, i feel this was only a device to keep Gina and Palmer in it as they would be pretty much redundant characters with the departure of Xavier. I'm really hoping we see the character progress and grow though, but i still feel like we see scenes happen just for the sake of it. For example when we saw Jett being bullied outside the surf shop, in the old Home and Away we would have seen the build up to that, which would stir the audiences emotions, but now we just see Xavier stumbling across it happening.

I really could go on all day about how the show has lost its feel, but I dont wan't it to sound that i dont enjoy the show anymore. I still do (just nowhere near as much), and for some weird reason, the show feels a lot more enjoyable if you watch the omnibus edition rather than watching it daily.

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks the storylines have gotten worse and worse. It's just so trashy and not what Home and Away should be about. Was Home and Away this bad whewn Cameron Welsh was at the helm? I don't think that could have been possible. Also, what the hell is John Holmes thinking? He shouldn't be allowing such trash to appear on our TV screens. I hope Julie McGauran replaces him as Executive Producer. I also think that Lucy Addario, Lousie Bowes and the writers have to go as well. I think Channel 7 should bring back Coral Drouyn and Bevan Lee and headhunt some new, skilled writers who can do good things for the show. In Australia, didn't the ratings sink to 700,000 or something last week? I remember when it would easily get between 1 million - 1.3 million. If thwey continue to sink then hopefully something will change. It seems like Louise Bowes and Lucy Addario don't want to know that lots of people are unhappy with the show as it is - which is worrying.

Over the last few weeks the storylines have gotten worse and worse. It's just so trashy and not what Home and Away should be about. Was Home and Away this bad whewn Cameron Welsh was at the helm? I don't think that could have been possible. Also, what the hell is John Holmes thinking? He shouldn't be allowing such trash to appear on our TV screens. I hope Julie McGauran replaces him as Executive Producer. I also think that Lucy Addario, Lousie Bowes and the writers have to go as well. I think Channel 7 should bring back Coral Drouyn and Bevan Lee and headhunt some new, skilled writers who can do good things for the show. In Australia, didn't the ratings sink to 700,000 or something last week? I remember when it would easily get between 1 million - 1.3 million. If thwey continue to sink then hopefully something will change. It seems like Louise Bowes and Lucy Addario don't want to know that lots of people are unhappy with the show as it is - which is worrying.

I agree with a lot of your points, but I have to say since tuning back in over the past two weeks, that 'trashy' element (jumping into bed with each other at the drop of a hat, sex obsessing, ripping each others clothes off etc.) seems to have taken more of a backseat. Watch me be proved wrong over the next week. Haha

And Leah??? When they put her in the forefront of the show again in early 2010 season, after being in the background for a few years the writing of her has been all over the place. She had lost 2 husbands and then she was pining over Elijah and had a lot of breakdowns because he wanted to go Africa.... she didn't even fit with him. And her so called friendship with Charlie.... that was/is not believable, Charlie was not Leah's type... She had two wonderful friendships with girls on her own age which was believable: Sally and Rachel. The Leah we knew from a few years ago wouldn't have supported the gang leader and the criminal boyfriend of her housmate/friend who actually in a way was to blame for Charlies death (and he had a family), instead of her daughter who actually had no one. And she would certainly not have had fallen for him!

I do agree that the show changed in the Australian 2005 season, but I also think it changed again in late 2009/early 2010 season and became even worse! Now they are doing things just for the sake of it, without caring about the storyline they are telling. And they treated sensitive topics far better in 2005-2008 than they have done from late 2009 and onwards.

The problem that has been the past few years I think is that they are not exploring the characters.... They are eploring the romances and changes the characters personality just to suit the romance... So called romantic relationships have been the main thing on the show... without the show becoming more romantic. Earlier on I feel they put the characters and their personality and backstories first, and then romance.

Another problem are sensationalism and the tendency to try to stir up the audience. Then when the public are rooting for the couple, they are breaking up and moving to the next just to cause some waves.... Well it worked earlier on, but this tendency to stir up has become a habit and it is really tiring. We never se a good couple or a friendship building anymore. Even in the years 2005-2009 it was far better than it is now. (saw some eps UK pace earlier this year).

And earlier on they started to explore the characters first and then put them in a relationship later. The characters personality came first, and then the romance. And when the characters were in a relationship they had other storylines than about each other, they were still doctors, teachers, friends with others and having other storylines. With todays writing we would never have have had wonderful couples like Sally and Flynn, Rebecca and Travis, Noah and Haley... I don't think we would have had characters and couples like Aden and Belle, Tony and Rachel either.... because even when they had their problems and break ups, we knew the characters and they were working through their issues and developed a lot just to be able to be together.

I just cant believe that Gina or any of the parents of the pupils who Bianca teachers had no problem with her being involved with a known drug dealer!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying watching the show over the last couple of weeks and I feel it's improved slightly but I think the main issue is that the storylines are a tad dull and very predictable! It's the script department's job to ensure that storylines are interesting and not too simple, I feel they should be a complicated and make the audience think.

It's times like these that the show needs someone like Coral Drouyn or Bevan Lee!

Ok. So reading previous post I've noticed that there seems to be a bit of a mixed feeling around peoples opinion, although most of you seem to think that the show has lost touch with its past and that the focus of the show is to River Boys based.

Now I started watch the show around April last year(2011) so I'm relatively new to Home and Away. I used to watch Neighbours and I always thought that Home and Away was some bogan like. poorly written show because whenever i turned on Channel 7 and saw it i could only see characters that could only be described as slightly dumb. But when I started watching it, because Neighbours had just gone right down the drain, I found it so interesting. It was right when Charlie and Brax were starting their relationship. I thought that it was so well written and amazing. After only a couple of months I fell in love with Home and Away and some of its characters, so much so that when Charlie got shot I cried and when she died i kept crying and throughout her whole funeral couldn't stop. That was really only months of knowing her.

When Home and Away went on its normal Christmas break in Australia, I missed it so much so that I began watching old episodes on YouTube. I watched from about 2004 onwards and have covered pretty much everything from 2000 onwards in terms of what i know about the shows past. I also watched the pilot episode and much of the 1988 season of Home and Away and from what I can gather Home and Away is almost completely different now then when it was in 1988. In my opinion the only things that is the same is the Summer Bay house and Alf.

From other things I've gathered is that whenever a member of the cast has finished their contract with the show (which is normally around 3-4years), their characters are almost always taken off the air. This is what makes it so hard to really love a character because as soon as they are given the opportunity to be loved they are taken away. This also make Home and Away loose touch with its past. I've heard that

Celia Stewart (Fiona Spence) is returning to Home and Away, not sure if as a regular or a guest role for the 25th anniversary

. And speaking of the anniversary i think that it is a perfect opportunity to take Home and Away back to its roots. I've heard that Debra Lawrence who played Pippa Fletch from 1990-1998 doesn't even watch the show anymore cause its to different.

As a new fan i probably don't have much credibility to say anything but from what i know about the show, my opinion is that it is too detached from its past but is still very, very interesting. (Except Harvey, he needs to die)

Archived