Romeo calling Alf 'mate'

Guest Edward Skylover

I guess that they are business partners so more equal now

It's not an equal partnership. Alf is the one with the money and the boat. He's also a pillar of the community and Romeo's elder by quite a considerable margin. Romeo should reserve informal terms of address like "mate" or "dude" for people of his own age group.

^ :lol:

In my experience here in Oz, mate is a quite usual form of address as in G'day Mate!!! No problem with it.

After hearing people use the word 'mate' on H&A for all these years, I've figured it was 'normal' in Australia! :)

I guess it may depend on a country's culture or on what people think is (dis)respectful. For example, there is no way I'd call an older person or someone I don't know 'mate' in the two languages I speak daily (French and Dutch). To me, it's a word you'd use for a relative or friend who is in your age group but in some countries, it may be totally normal to call them 'mate'.

It's not something I've noticed but it's not something I really have a problem with.I don't think the age difference makes it a problem, but possibly the fact Alf was a kind of parent figure to Romeo at one point and still is a kind of mentor does.If I'd been Romeo's age(ie 17, as he was when they first met)and met someone Alf's age in a situation where we were equals, such as as work colleagues or members of a social organisation, I wouldn't have any problem talking in familiar terms with him.On the other hand, I'd have a hard time addressing one of my old teachers, for example, that way. There are people I've known since I was very young that I used to call Mr Whatever and now call by their first name, which feels a bit weird sometimes but I think continuing to call them Mr Whatever would be even weirder.I think if I'd grown up in Summer Bay, I'd be calling him Alf by now.Probably wouldn't call him "mate" but then I don't call anyone that.

Archived