This whole shark story line has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Guest matty

A shark's home and territory is water. Ours is land. If you want to swim in a beach, and you know that there is a shark there, then go ahead, but understand the risk. How dare we kill an animal in its natural territory just because we want to go for a swim. Swim in a pool if you don't want to risk it. If someone wants to rob my house, should they kill me, to get me out of the way? It's the same situation, really.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's one of those situations where the episodes are of their time. These days, the opinion you've expressed above would be pretty common and they'd never get away with a party celebrating the death of a shark in the show. However, back then we were less politically correct and the views of the general public were much different. Look at the 1988 season of H&A - they dedicated an entire storyline to Roo's Asian boyfriend and the prejudices it invoked, yet the same situation today wouldn't even warrant a raised eyebrow.

I grew up watching TV in the 70's ... The Goodies on the ABC were a weekday afternoon institution for kids of my generation, yet today a good number of those episodes we innocently laughed at cannot be screened due to various racist, sexist and religious sensitivities. Shows like Love Thy Neighbour and Til Death Do Us Part were hilariously funny back then but are considered extremely offensive today.

What was acceptable on TV then and what is now really gives an interesting insight on how we've developed as a society over the past 40 years.

I'm still politically incorrect or possibly just homophobic, racist and sexist.

I think regarding the shark I think it's going to just end up where you are on animal rights issues and stuff like that and I guess we'll have all made longstanding judgements on that a debate here won't change.

I think it's one of those situations where the episodes are of their time. These days, the opinion you've expressed above would be pretty common and they'd never get away with a party celebrating the death of a shark in the show. However, back then we were less politically correct and the views of the general public were much different. Look at the 1988 season of H&A - they dedicated an entire storyline to Roo's Asian boyfriend and the prejudices it invoked, yet the same situation today wouldn't even warrant a raised eyebrow.

I grew up watching TV in the 70's ... The Goodies on the ABC were a weekday afternoon institution for kids of my generation, yet today a good number of those episodes we innocently laughed at cannot be screened due to various racist, sexist and religious sensitivities. Shows like Love Thy Neighbour and Til Death Do Us Part were hilariously funny back then but are considered extremely offensive today.

What was acceptable on TV then and what is now really gives an interesting insight on how we've developed as a society over the past 40 years.

You raise some very, very good points, but I have to point out that I am not at all PC. I love watching shows like 'Kingswood Country'. I just love animals, and it makes me sick that someone would kill a shark simply for being in ITS territory.

Like others have pointed out,it was a different era.I'm not offended by it,probably because I don't like sharks and a person was killed by it.Even these days,dogs get put to death for attacking/killing humans.It's only a tv show anyway so I try not to take it too seriously lol.

A shark's home and territory is water. Ours is land. If you want to swim in a beach, and you know that there is a shark there, then go ahead, but understand the risk. How dare we kill an animal in its natural territory just because we want to go for a swim. Swim in a pool if you don't want to risk it. If someone wants to rob my house, should they kill me, to get me out of the way? It's the same situation, really.

Well said Matty I totally agree with you. But people are right it was over 20 years ago. Bobby seemed to be the only one at first who was against shark hunting. Once the shark was caught though she was happy to celebrate with the others. Most sharks attacks people don't get eaten. When Bethany Hamiton got attacked it just took her arm after that it left. Apprently we don't taste that good anyway. Most sharks only take a bite out of humans because they think they are turtles or seals which sharks love. Why should we kill something for doing something that comes natural to them. One of the reasons why whales are caught in countries like Japan is because they eat the fish. Thats just wrong it would be like someone coming into your house and killing you for eating your food.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one but more leaning towards the "Yay, we got the shark!" camp.I understand that the shark's just doing what's natural to it but for me the bottom line is there was a dangerous animal on the loose and lives were at risk.Saying that people should just share the water with the shark and if they get attacked or eaten that's their lookout seems like political correctness taken to its extremes.If a lion attacked someone on a safari, they wouldn't say "Oh, it's the lion's natural instinct, it can kill him if it likes", they'd shoot it.As someone pointed out, dogs get put down for attacking people.The only really viable alternative was staying out of the water permanently because the danger would always be there.

For me, we have worked ourselves into a level where we can kill all animals and kill ourselves pretty efficiently as well. With that comes a repsonsibility I believe not to go around killing things willy nilly, but at the same time, I believe we should be allowed to kill animals that are dangerous to ourselves. That's what they do themselves and in whilst we might not exactly tear the raw flesh from the bone, I think we should be allowed to protect ourselves. That said I'm no great animal lover, and whilst I'm not the type of person that goes around practising cruelty, neither will I burden myself with trying to protect them or even worse, keeping them.

Indeed, if this happened in my back yard, I'd probably be interested in what shark tasted like after they'd caught it.

Archived