This whole shark story line has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Guest matty

Exactly. It's in its own territory, and is doing what comes naturally. It's just outrageous, the arrogance and lack of care, and disregard that many people have for animals.

Lives were only at risk if people decided to go into the beach. Otherwise, they weren't. It's different if some animal was roaming the streets of Sydney, Melbourne or any other very populous area.

IMO, your post is ludicrous. People have a CHOICE of whether they want to enter a beach infested by sharks. If you want to do so, sure, go ahead, but prepared. Otherwise, swim in the pool. How dare you kill an innocent animal for being in its own territory and doing what comes naturally, just so that you can have a safe little swim??

Would it be okay if someone came into your home and killed you, so that you were out of the way?

Okay, so profit comes before the live of an innocent animal?

I do understand your point of view but I think it's a bit black and white.And we apparently have different definitions of the word "innocent".It's not about profit, it's about community:If the shark had remained a threat, no-one would have come to town, there'd be no money coming in, the town's economy would collapse and sooner or later they'd all have to pack up and move away.It's like a farmer shooting a dog that's a danger to his livestock.You might find it cold but people have families to feed.I find it cold to suggest that a shark comes before human lives and should be allowed to kill as many innocent swimmers and surfers as it likes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, your post is ludicrous. People have a CHOICE of whether they want to enter a beach infested by sharks. If you want to do so, sure, go ahead, but prepared. Otherwise, swim in the pool. How dare you kill an innocent animal for being in its own territory and doing what comes naturally, just so that you can have a safe little swim??

Would it be okay if someone came into your home and killed you, so that you were out of the way?

I'm not even going to bother. You've told me all I need to know about you.

Annually more people die from falling coconuts hitting their heads than people do from shark attacks. How can you hunt for one shark that attacked someone in an ocean full of them? A shark that is innocent could end up getting killed as a result of another shark attacking someone.

• 8 months later...

I think everyone is missing the point.

Surely Andrew was correct in that the shark was only there in the first place because of what Macklins were tipping over the cliff.

Or was Andrew wrong.

You are right though. In 2012 the story would be handled much differently. Probably so long ago as mid 90s actually. I can just see Shannon now fighting the sharks corner,

Archived