This whole shark story line has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Guest matty

I'm kind of on the fence with this one but more leaning towards the "Yay, we got the shark!" camp.I understand that the shark's just doing what's natural to it but for me the bottom line is there was a dangerous animal on the loose and lives were at risk.Saying that people should just share the water with the shark and if they get attacked or eaten that's their lookout seems like political correctness taken to its extremes.If a lion attacked someone on a safari, they wouldn't say "Oh, it's the lion's natural instinct, it can kill him if it likes", they'd shoot it.As someone pointed out, dogs get put down for attacking people.The only really viable alternative was staying out of the water permanently because the danger would always be there.

The reason why they put down dogs when they attack someone is because when they get a taste for human blood they will be likely to attack again

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shark's home and territory is water. Ours is land. If you want to swim in a beach, and you know that there is a shark there, then go ahead, but understand the risk. How dare we kill an animal in its natural territory just because we want to go for a swim. Swim in a pool if you don't want to risk it. If someone wants to rob my house, should they kill me, to get me out of the way? It's the same situation, really.

Not sure what to say to such a ludicrous post. :rolleyes:

Sharks KILL people who are just out for a swim which is what people do, especially Australian’s given our climate. To suggest that everyone should just swim in a pool is just hilarious! So no one should ever swim at the hundreds of lovely beaches in the world?

Don't forget, it also comes down to business. Its all very well to say "they shouldn't kill the shark, its only doing whats natural in its own environment", but that would basically have killed the town's tourism stone dead and put a lot of people out of business. At the end of the day, it had to be done.

One comment that was either incisive or simplistic, I'm not entirely sure which, was when Andrew was suggesting driving the shark away somehow and Adam claimed that if they did that it would attack someone somewhere else, in other words if they did get rid of it without killing it they'd just be passing the buck onto another resort.Without being an expert on marine life, I'm not sure if, as with the dog example, the shark would have been more likely to attack humans after getting a taste or if it would have been just one more shark in an ocean full of them.

I do accept that, while I think it was the right choice, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the whole "Here's to the death of the shark!" attitude.I'd have preferred it to have been presented as a necessary evil to protect their lives and livelihoods, as Bobby seemed to view it initially, rather than a cause for celebration.

A shark's home and territory is water. Ours is land. If you want to swim in a beach, and you know that there is a shark there, then go ahead, but understand the risk. How dare we kill an animal in its natural territory just because we want to go for a swim. Swim in a pool if you don't want to risk it. If someone wants to rob my house, should they kill me, to get me out of the way? It's the same situation, really.

Well said Matty I totally agree with you. But people are right it was over 20 years ago. Bobby seemed to be the only one at first who was against shark hunting. Once the shark was caught though she was happy to celebrate with the others. Most sharks attacks people don't get eaten. When Bethany Hamiton got attacked it just took her arm after that it left. Apprently we don't taste that good anyway. Most sharks only take a bite out of humans because they think they are turtles or seals which sharks love. Why should we kill something for doing something that comes natural to them. One of the reasons why whales are caught in countries like Japan is because they eat the fish. Thats just wrong it would be like someone coming into your house and killing you for eating your food.

Exactly. It's in its own territory, and is doing what comes naturally. It's just outrageous, the arrogance and lack of care, and disregard that many people have for animals.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one but more leaning towards the "Yay, we got the shark!" camp.I understand that the shark's just doing what's natural to it but for me the bottom line is there was a dangerous animal on the loose and lives were at risk.Saying that people should just share the water with the shark and if they get attacked or eaten that's their lookout seems like political correctness taken to its extremes.If a lion attacked someone on a safari, they wouldn't say "Oh, it's the lion's natural instinct, it can kill him if it likes", they'd shoot it.As someone pointed out, dogs get put down for attacking people.The only really viable alternative was staying out of the water permanently because the danger would always be there.

Lives were only at risk if people decided to go into the beach. Otherwise, they weren't. It's different if some animal was roaming the streets of Sydney, Melbourne or any other very populous area.

Not sure what to say to such a ludicrous post. :rolleyes:

Sharks KILL people who are just out for a swim which is what people do, especially Australian’s given our climate. To suggest that everyone should just swim in a pool is just hilarious! So no one should ever swim at the hundreds of lovely beaches in the world?

IMO, your post is ludicrous. People have a CHOICE of whether they want to enter a beach infested by sharks. If you want to do so, sure, go ahead, but prepared. Otherwise, swim in the pool. How dare you kill an innocent animal for being in its own territory and doing what comes naturally, just so that you can have a safe little swim??

Would it be okay if someone came into your home and killed you, so that you were out of the way?

Don't forget, it also comes down to business. Its all very well to say "they shouldn't kill the shark, its only doing whats natural in its own environment", but that would basically have killed the town's tourism stone dead and put a lot of people out of business. At the end of the day, it had to be done.

Okay, so profit comes before the live of an innocent animal?

This is going the way I thought I would and will probably be an ultimately pointless because peoples opinions towards animals will be hardened and I know I'm not going to start believing killing the animal is the wrong thing to do and Matty's not going to start believing that killing the shark was the right thing to do.

Archived