Summer Bay - The Musical

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Story Title: Summer Bay - The Musical

Type of story: Short Fic

Main Characters: All of them...

BTTB rating: G/A

Genre: Drama, Romance, Angst, Comedy, Musical.....

Warning: Dodgy singing..... and you may occasionally tap your feet as you sing along.

Does story include spoilers: No

Summary: Summer Bay has seen a lot of drama recently and the characters let down their hair..... and start singing.....

Authors Note: Against my better judgement I have been persuaded to post this story anyway. Anybody who refers to Glee in anyway shape or form will have to go stand in the naughty corner.

Play List:

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

Chapter One:

Miles walked through security not making eye contact with any of the guards, almost as though he were the inmate and not the visitor. He adjusted the visitor badge with an audible sigh and moved with the queue. Although there wasn’t actually that many people filing ahead of him. Glancing at his watch he moved over to a table in the midst of a group of tables. A chair either side of them. He looked around seeing blank faces on the guards and expectant expressions on the people visiting. The tables were covered with a blue formica that had darker speckles of blue in them. He looked down, his eye caught by the way there almost seemed to be patterns in the abstract spluts of dark blue.

“Hello Mate.” Roman Harris said coming over and sitting down opposite him. He wore dark blue canvas trousers and a grey T shirt and simple looking tennis shoes on his feet.

“How you been?” Miles blurted out.

“Ok.” Roman said keeping his voice even. He looked at his old friend and sighed.

“Ok I cut my hair.” Miles said to him.

“I notice and I hate to say it but something seems to have crawled on your face.”

Miles reached up and stroked his beard thoughtfully.

“Like it? I think its kind of dashing.” He murmured with a grin.

“Actually I’m kind of wondering if the beard and the haircut were because you knew you looked kind of girlie the last time you were here and wanted to butch up in case my cellmate fancied you.”

Miles gasped before he started laughing.

“Your cellmate doesn’t fancy me does he?” he asked after a moment crossing his legs under the table and glancing nervously around.

“Don’t worry mate.” Roman said.

“So you’ve been ok.” Miles said going back to the start of the conversation. “that all? Morag is staying with us at the moment. You could lodge an appeal to the sentence.”

Roman shook his head.

“Not going to happen.” He said.

“Just ok then?” Miles said glancing around wondering what to say. He caught sight of one of the other prisoners strumming and old guitar before looking back at Roman. “Nothing happened since my last visit?” he asked.

“Well the warden threw a party.” Roman began. “In the county jail.”

He found himself humming under his breath before hearing the guy with the guitar start playing.

“And the prison band was there and they started to wail.” Roman sang the next line, his singing voice not terrible, but well, not used that often. He heard a croaky note and frowned before singing the next line, his feet tapping on the floor. “The band was jumping and the joint began to swing. You should’ve heard them knocked out jailbirds sing.”

Roman turned his head and caught one of the other prisoners banging out the rhythm of the song on the table. He nodded at Roman encouraging him to carry on.

“Everybody, let’s rock, everybody in the cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock.” Roman sang the chorus before standing and beginning the next verse. He looked around seeing other prisoners moving tables back and joining him in the middle of the room.

“Spider Murphy played the Tenor saxophone, little Joe was blowin’ on the slide trombone.” He began with tapping feet but now he found he was copying Elvis moves, his fingers tucked into his waistband as he began to jive. “The Drummer boy from Illinois going crash boom bang,” he sang nodding at the guy playing imaginary drums on the table. “The whole rhythm section was a purple gang.”

“Yeah!” the guy called out beginning an elaborate beat on the table. One of the other prisoners threw him a couple of pencils and he began using them as drumsticks.

Roman sang the chorus once more with the other prisoners joining in before he began the next verse. He saw the guards started to merge in the corner and reckoned on one more verse before they would be taken away so decided to give it his all. His hips swaying in time to the beat, his head bobbing he looked at Miles and grinned before launching into the next verse.

“Number 47 said to Number three, you’re the cutest jailbird I ever did see, I sure would be delighted with your company, come and do the jailhouse rock with me.” Roman sang. “Everybody, let’s rock, everybody in the cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock.”

“Enough.” A stern looking guard called out walking over to Roman. He gestured and two of his colleague moved to the centre of the room too cautiously approaching Roman before they tackled him. The struggle lasted minutes before Roman was caught in a head lock and subdued.

“Solitary.” The guard said with satisfaction, breathing heavily. “An you others if you don’t want to join him get the tables back in formation.” He added before he and the two other guards began to move Roman out of the room.

Roman struggled again before managing to turn his head and look at Miles.

“See you next month.” He called out. “Rock, everybody in the cell doing the jailhouse rock…” he added in a soft undertone before the stern guard jabbed him in the ribs with his nightstick.

Miles stood up stunned watching as solemn faced prisoners moved the furniture back to how it was. They began filing out of the room the way they had taken Roman and he could still hear the solitary guitar strumming.

“Rock,” Miles sang under his breath as he moved out of the formidable grey looking building with the high wire fence and over to his car. “Everybody in the place was doing the jailhouse rock…”

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Two

Leah began her daily walk along the beach. She glanced at the ever so blue sky and the blue sea with the swirling surf and sighed as her bare feet sunk into the hot pale golden sand. She carried her shoes in one hand and tugged on her long dress in the other trying to stop the hem touching the ground. Her eyes misted over with tears every now and again as her thoughts drifted to her lack of lovelife. Roberston was charming but his timing sucked, turning up in the middle of the mess with Elijah. She thought of the other man, coming back from Africa with a wife. When she thought of Grace her heart went out to the other woman at losing a child but she couldn’t help but think of how lucky she was to have her man. Tears began to seep down her face as she acknowledged her true feelings for Elijah.

“Leah.” Elijah called out to her, the man turning up just as she didn’t want him too, Leah though with suitable Irony.

She turned away and dashed a hand at her face scrubbing off tears and blinking back the fresh ones that threatened to spill down her face. She sighed before turning once more and facing him.

“I’m sorry to interrupt I just had to come over to you.” He began. “Have you been crying?” he asked seeing her face.

She knew she couldn’t hide the tear stains and the no doubt red nose from him when he was that close to her and began to feel a curl of anger growing inside of her.

“It’s none of your business anymore.” She told him, her tone bitter.

“I’m sorry I never meant to hurt you.” He murmured in his gentle sweet voice and Leah felt a jolt go through her, a mixture of love and hate combined and wanted to hit out at him suddenly.

“When?” cried out before she could stop herself. “When you left the first time? Or when you came back married? You could have taken Grace anywhere but you had to bring her here to my home.” Leah muttered folding her arms protectively around herself.

“I know that.” Elijah protested. “But you drew me back. I’m sorry this upsets you Leah, I never meant for that to happen.”

“Are you totally clueless?” Leah asked borrowing an expression from one of the teenagers working at the diner before shooting him a look of anger. As quickly as the anger came to her it faded away leaving her with an empty sad feeling.

“I am sorry Leah, I would never hurt you for the world but all I’ve done is just that.” Elijah muttered. “I hate seeing you crying. I just had to stop and see if there was something I could do.”

“Well next time don’t.” Leah gasped out. “If you see me walking down the street then walk on by.”

Elijah gasped and recoiled from the spite filled words.

“But you were upset. I had to come over. I know this is difficult….” He stuttered.

Leah fixed him with her gaze and opened her mouth. She didn’t know what she was going to say to him and became surprised when she began to sing, she must have heard the song a million times played by her mother back home when she was younger and the lyrics sank in without her realising it.

“If you see me walking down the street and I start to cry, each time we meet, walk on by.” She sang, her voice melodious and husky sounding. “Each time we meet walk on by, walk on by.” She sang out dropping her shoes to the sand and looking into Elijah puppy dog gaze. “Make believe you don’t see the tears, just let me grieve in private, cause each time I see you I break down and cry. “Walk on by.”

Elijah took a step back and looked down at her.

“I just can’t get over losing you, and so if I seem broken and blue… Walk on by, Walk on by. “Leah sang.

She lifted her arms outstretched expressively before looking into Ellijah’s face and singing.

“Foolish pride, That’s all I have left, so let me hide the tears and sadness you gave me when you said goodbye… Oh walk on by…. Don’t stop,…. Walk on by…. My foolish pride is all that I have left so let me hide the tears and sadness you gave me when you said goodbye. ….. Walk on by. Walk on by…”

“Leah….” Elijah protested.

“Now you really gotta go so walk on by….” Leah sang out the last lines of the song her eyes on the tall man in front of her. He took a last look at the diminutive woman in front of him and sighed before he turned away. He heard her singing carry along on the soft summer breeze as he walked away.

Chapter Three

Nicole walked into the diner alone, well not quite alone she thought as she touched a hand to her pregnant bump. She smoothed her dress down and smiled when she felt the baby kick against her hand before looking up and seeing Marilyn looking over at her. Her smile faltered and she debated whether to acknowledge the other woman deciding instantly that she would pretend she hadn’t noticed her and slunk over to a table near the door. She eased herself down groaning at how uncomfortable she felt sometimes with the thing inside her. She grinned as the baby kicked her again when she referred to it as a thing.

“Shush.” She whispered stroking her hand over the bump.

“What can I get you?” Irene asked her.

“A big fat cream cake.” Nic said speaking before her brain engaged.

Irene looked over at her and smiled.

“Like that is it?” she asked conversationally.

Nicole sighed.

“Miles has gone to visit Dad so I’m feeling a bit…”

“In need of a big fat cream cake?” Irene finished. “I have just the thing.”

She disappeared into the kitchen leaving Nic alone and wrapped up in her thoughts so that she didn’t notice Marilyn watching her from across the room her mouth a round ‘o’ shape as she pouted out her disappointment that Nic had chosen to sit somewhere else.

Irene triumphantly carried over a tray containing a drink and a square of cake with whipped cream on placing them in front of Nic.

“Oh Irene.” Nic said her eyes lighting up at the sight of it.

“Just what the doctor ordered?” Irene asked.

“Absolutely.” Nic said picking up the fork and taking a big bite of the cake. She gave a contented moan as she felt the chocolate cake crumbling on her tongue with the smooth cream mellowing over the top of it before sighing with bliss as she swallowed. “Perfect.” She declared.

“Nicole what are you eating?” Marilyn cried out coming over to her. “You can’t possibly eat that it’s bad for the baby.”

Nicole dropped the fork to the plate hearing it clatter against the dense white china before landing on the table and stood up clumsily. She placed one hand in the small of her back and looked at Marilyn. All the hurt and anger of the past few months came rushing to the front of her mind and she turned to her.

“I hate this baby and I wish I’d lost it. All you care about is the stupid baby.” She shouted at the woman before turning away and running out of the diner as fast as she could. She heaved in deep breaths panting as the weight of the baby made her feel huge as she stalked down to the beach before sinking down on the hot sand. She felt the first tears trickle down her face before the baby kicked protestingly inside her.

“Oh baby I don’t hate you.” She said to the bump. “I just wish things could have been different.”

Nic looked out at the turbulent sea watching as the waves built and crashed on to the sand in front of her as she sighed.

“Baby, Baby,” she whispered talking to the life inside her. “Baby love, my baby love.” She added her voice rising. “I need you, oh how I need you.” She began to sing, “But all you do is treat me bad. Break my heart and leave me sad. Tell me what did I do wrong to make you stay away so long.” She sang out the wind carrying her words along the long stretch of beach and out across the sea. She stood up, for once her movements had a strange wondrous grace about them as she moved she sang more.

“Because Baby love my baby love.” She sang with all her heart pouring into the lyrics. “Been missing you, miss kissing you, Instead of breaking up, let’s do some kissing and making up. Don’t throw our love away, In my arms why don’t you stay. Need ya, Need ya, Baby love baby love.” She sang her voice breaking with emotion over the lyrics. “Baby love, my baby love, why must we separate my love, All of my whole life through I never loved no one but you. Why you do me like you do.”

She looked around the empty beach and sighed before singing once more. Her voice was beautiful and sad and amazing as it drifted along on the wind carrying her pain with it.

“Baby love, My Baby love, I get this need, Need to hold you, once again my love feel your warm embrace my love. Don’t throw our love away,” She stopped and looked down at her stomach.

“I want to keep you.” She whispered to her baby like she was sharing a secret. “My baby love.”

Really good Tele! Really well written, I like the way the songs are in the middle of the scenes appearing naturally.

Had to laugh at the idea of Miles and Roman singing in the prison, I didn't realise how dodgy the Jailhouse Rock lyrics are :huh:

Amazing stuff...I found myself reading each chapter with the appropriate song playing in the background :)

Favourite chapter so far has to be the first though, Roman and Miles singing Jailhouse Rock...legendary idea!!!

Love it and can't wait for more

Archived