Summer Bay - The Musical

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter Four

Marilyn stormed into the farmhouse looking round for Sid, frowning on seeing the living room empty. She paced back and forth, her incredibly high heels clicking out an agitated rhythm on the floor.

“Oh.” Dex murmured peaking round the door and seeing her.

“Dex have you seen your father?” Marilyn burst out with the question her voice rising at the end.

“Yeah, a few times. Apparently he was there when I was born, and again when I…..”

“This is not time for your sense of humour Dexter. It’s Nicole, she…. .” Marilyn stopped and burst into tears before moving over to the long sofa and collapsing on to it. Her head was down and she sniffed miserably.

Dex looked at his hand and inspected his fingernails before taking a breath and walking into the room. He sat next to Marilyn and sighed.

“Nicole what?” he asked sounding just a touch like his Dad that he almost looked around to see if he were there.

“She said horrible things, horrible.” Marilyn sniffed. “I’ll never get over it.”

“I’m sure she didn’t mean it.” Dex soothed looking desperately around the room.

“Oh she did. “ Marilyn said looking up and wiping at her tears.

“No, really.” Dex mumbled wondering why when Marilyn had been crying her mascara hadn’t run. There were no black marks whatsoever.

“She hates me.” Marilyn said with a shudder before sniffing suspiciously again.

Dex could see her eyes filling up with fresh tears and he was torn between seeing if her mascara ran this time and comforting the older woman. He looked at her carefully piled up hair and make up before easing closer to her. She was wearing another of her leopard print tops and short black skirts and his gaze was drawn to her legs as he reached around her to place his arm on her shoulders. Realising where he was starring his horrified glance ran up her body focusing on her cleavage and he gasped shocked, unable to pull his eyes away, teenage hormones he hastily assured himself and not the reoccurrence of the crush he’d had on her. Or was it? He asked himself quickly still frozen in place his arm in the air.

“Dex what are you doing?” Marilyn’s question forced him back to the present and he felt colour entering his face before he tried to think of a reasonable sounding excuse for his present position.

“Er, Sometimes I like to hold my hands up in the air.” He mumbled. “You know,”

“Er…” Marilyn gasped unable to think of anything to say. Puzzlement showed on her face making Dex all too aware of what the scene would look like if his Dad were to walk in at that moment. He jumped up and looked at her before lifting both hands up in the air.

“I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying ayo.” He sang off key. He looked at Marilyn and saw the confusion still clouding her face “Gotta let go, I wanna celebrate and live my life, Saying ayo.” He sang his voice gaining confidence. “Cause we goin’ rock this club We goin’ go all night, We goin’ light it up like it’s dynamite.” He sang on before spinning around as he waved his arms in the air. “Cause I told you once Now I told you twice We goin’ to light it up like it’s dynamite.”

“Er….” Marilyn said again.

“Sing with me.” He instructed her. “I throw my hands up in the air sometimes.”

Marilyn shook her head.

“Oh no I don’t sing.” She murmured putting a hand to her chest.

Dex leaned forward and looked into her eyes.

“I throw my hands up in the air sometimes.” He sang again.

“Saying ayo.” Marilyn sang seeing Dex nod at her.

“Gotta let go. I wanna celebrate and live my life, saying ayo….” Dex sang spinning around again and waving his arms in the air.

“What the devil is going on?” Said asked standing in the doorway.

Dex stopped abruptly looking at his dad. He felt colour coming into his face before muttering “nothing.” Under his breath. He moved quickly past his Dad and escaped into his room. The wind from the open bedroom window caught the door and it slammed behind him.

“Oh Sid.” Marilyn cried out. “Haven’t you ever wanted just to throw you hands in the air sometimes?” she asked him before walking past him and going into the bedroom.

Sid stood there looking at the empty room before hearing the second bedroom door slam wondering if he’d walked into the right house.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter Five

Casey stopped dead in the hallway. He felt someone jostle him as he stood there and ignored their look of frustration. In front of him was Ruby. Ruby. Ruby. The girl of his dreams. He loved the way her hair surrounded her face in that brown and blonde tousled halo. The way her eyes sparkled as she laughed or just smiled. He loved the small hands and the way she moved them when she spoke certain words. Moving slowly over to her he imagined that she could hear his heart beating from where she was standing at her locker and he wiped his hands nervously on his trousers before he spoke.

“Er yeah Hi.” He murmured.

“Oh hi Casey.” Ruby murmured before looking into her locker once more and he frowned at the way that seemed to be cutting him off.

“So have you thought anymore about us dating?” he asked his voice breaking only a little as he spoke.

“Oh Sorry, yeah, I’m kinda seeing someone. Sorry.” She said and broke his heart. He continued to look at her his mouth open as she changed books over in her locker and shut it with an audible snap. “Was there something else?” she asked.

“Oh no.” he said watching her face. He saw her gaze move past him and on to Romeo. “No there is nothing else.” He said brushing past her and going over to his locker. He kept turning and shooting looks at the two of them as the bell rang and they filed into class. Ruby sat so she could look at Romeo, who was sitting the other side of him and he muttered something uncomplimentary under his breath.

“You got anything to add Casey?” Mr. Copeland asked.

Casey looked at him and shook his head.

“No change there then.” one of the other boys piped up with a mocking laugh.

“Forget you.” Casey muttered shooting the other guy a look.

“Oooh.” The kid mocked again.

Casey shot up from his seat and looked around first at Romeo and then at Ruby.

“I see you driving round town with the girl I love and I’m like, forget you.” He sang.

“I guess the change in my pocket wasn’t enough, I’m like forget you.”

He moved through the desks looking at everyone of their faces before reaching the front and looking back at Romeo before his gaze lingered on Ruby.

“Forget you. And forget her too! I said if I were richer I’d still be with ya Ha now ain’t that some…” He spun around before crossing one foot over the other and performing a smooth dance more. Clicking his fingers in time he sang more. “\Now I know, that I had to borrow, Beg and steal and lie and cheat. Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya.

'Cause being in love with you ass ain't cheap. I pity the fool that falls in love with you (oh sh*t she's a gold digger) Well (just thought you should know n*gga) Ooooooh I've got some news for you

OOOH, I really hate your ass right now I see you driving 'round town With the girl I love and I'm like,

Forget you!” he sang in perfect beat.

Ruby’s mouth dropped open and she looked over at Romeo seeing him look everywhere except at her and flushed feeling guilty.

“I think we’ve done with your contribution now Casey. Please resume your seat.” Miles called out as the cat calls died down.

Casey nodded slowly and moved back to his desk. He kept his head down and refused to look at either of people sitting beside him but he knew they were looking at him. He was no longer invisible.

Haha, Dex and Marilyn singing :lol: I can just imagine it happening and Sid saying 'what the devil is happening?' :lol:

Interesting way for Casey to become visible :)

There should be more spontaneous singing and dancing in life, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter Six

Miles stumbled slowly down the stairs and into the kitchen. It was really early in the Summer Bay house, too early for the lesser spotted teenagers to be up so he was going to make use of the quiet and get some more marking done. He felt his eyes were burning from lack of sleep as he stuttered around making a pot of coffee. He poured out a cup watching as the black liquid swirled aroung the mug before he added milk to the potent brew. The hot bitter liquid burnt his lip as he took a long drink trying to wake himself up.

“Strewth mate you look like something the cat dragged in.” Alf called out in his cheery voice.

“Year 12’s. Homework.” Miles said quickly. “Nicole. Romeo. Noise.”

“Er…ok.” Alf said in response before he poured out a drink for himself. “Beautiful day out there.” he added slowly. “thinking of doing me some fishing.”

Miles raised his eyebrows as if to say ‘So.”

“Maybe you should come along? Get some fresh air into you.” He suggested.

Miles shook his head and sunk lower on the chair he’d just collapsed in.

“Got to be better that this stuff.” Alf said lifting his cup in demonstration.

Miles gave the other man a stare.

“This stuff is the only thing stopping me from killing everyone in town.” He declared.

“Right that’s it.” Alf muttered. “Get your clothes on and come with me.”

“Charming though that offer is I have to finish marking and get to school.” Miles said glaring at the other man.

“That wasn’t an offer. It was an instruction.” Alf said reeling his shoulders back and standing up straighter. He continued to stare down Miles, man against man. The starring contest lasted for all of thirty seconds before Miles backed down nodding.

“Fine.” He muttered.

“Great.” Alf said like it was a normal conversation they had just had and Miles hadn’t just threatened the entire population. He turned and stepped over to the sink placing his cup in the before heading out the back.

Miles watched him go with narrowed eyes before sticking his tongue out at Alf’s back. It may have been childish but he enjoyed it, he thought as she stood up and moved through the house to the bathroom. He grabbed a shower before getting dressed and heading back down the stairs. It was so much easier to get ready now he didn’t have to spend time doing his hair and shaving.

Meeting Alf out the back he took the fishing rod that was handed to him and the two of them moved out to the pier. He watched with amazement as Alf baited up his line and cast it into the cool blue green of the swirling water below them before sitting calmly down and well, just sitting.

“So this supposed to relax me?” Miles asked after five minutes.

Alf barely glanced at him as he reeled his line in and took the first catch off it. He looked at the first before letting it go back into the water and then casting his line again.

“Too small?” Miles asked.

“Stop talking.” Alf cautioned. “You are scarring all the fish away.”

Miles sighed and looked into the deep water below. If he squinted he could make out the shape of fish swimming and frowned as they took one look at his line and swam away.

“I’m not catching anything.” He said with a whine.

“You a Sheila are you Miles? I know you changed the hair but all you are doing is flapping your lips just like…”

“Alf.” Miles shot out glaring at the other man.

Alf opened his eyes and smiled at Miles.

“Look.” He instructed. “You got the clear blue sky, that amazing sunshine and you are here looking at the this view and all you’ve done is flap your gums.”

Miles let out a loud sigh before he looked round where he was. He liked the way the coast jutted out as though prodding the sea. He wasn’t overly fond of the vast blue monster that lapped deceivingly gently against the support of the pier but he supposed it was ok to look at. He was brought out of his thoughts when he heard Alf humming a tune under his breath and for the life of him he couldn’t put a name to it. He turned his head and looked at the profile of the other man seeing a serene expression on his face. He wondered how he did it, look so calm when there as so much going on. Just like the sea below them, it looked calm with gentle ripples fluttering across the surface but underneath he could see the fish swimming and there were other sea creatures all scrambling for survival.

“Sitting in the morning sun, I’ll be sitting when the evening comes.” Alf began to sing.

“Watching the ships roll in. And then I watch ‘em roll away again, yeah.”

Miles gave a little gasp connecting the tune Alf was humming earlier to the song.

“I’m sitting on the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away. Ooo I’m just sitting on the dock of the bay ….”

“Wasting time.” Miles sang joining in.

Alf looked out at the Bay, the coast curling around them before he sang the next verse.

“I left my home in Georgia heading for the ‘Frisco bay ‘cause I had nothing to live for. And look like nothing going to come my way.”

“So I’m just gonna sit on the dock of the Bay watching the tide roll away.” Miles and Alf sang together. “Ooo I’m sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time….”

“Look like nothing's gonna change. Everything still remains the same I can't do what ten people tell me to do. So I guess I'll remain the same, yes” Alf sang his voice carrying across the sea.

“Sittin' here resting my bones. And this loneliness won't leave me alone. It's two thousand miles I roamed Just to make this dock my home.” Miles sang realising how apt the words were.

“Now, I'm just gonna sit at the dock of the bay. Watching the tide roll away. Oooo-wee, sittin' on the dock of the bay.”

“Wastin' time.” Miles sang.

Alf looked at him before he whistled the last bit.

Miles grinned feeling happier and relaxed before he started in shock as he felt a tug on his fishing line. He reeled it in and looked at the fish on the end of the line before taking it off the hook and let it go back into the water. He could see it swimming away and he sighed feeling more relaxed. He placed the rod to one side before standing up and moving back down the dock. Time to go to work he thought, whistling under his breath.

“Jus’ sitting on the Dock of the Bay….” Alf sang softly. “Wasting the time away….”

Archived