90s Teen Relationships

Guest beau_t

I really liked Tug and Sarah, the whole will-they-won't-they thing. And I liked Jack and Sally, even though I didn't like Jack very much and thought he treated Sally badly, it was good to see Sally join in the teen group at last.

Meg and Blake, and Shane and Angel are stating the obvious...

I really liked Blake and Finlay as well.

What teen romances were you into as a kid? (or whoever old you were in the 90s!)

What teen romances were you into as a kid? (or whoever old you were in the 90s!)

I really liked Selena and Damien whilst it lasted, I loved Vinnie and all the girlfriends he had and Shane and Angel were wonderful. (Still struggle to believe they didnt like each other in real life).

My all time favourite couples though were: Steven and Selena whose forbidden romance was a real feature of my teen years, and Late 90's and into the 2000's was Will and Gypsy. I just love them both.

Why did Damian never* have a relationship??

* One-night stand with Selina excepted, and that was a flash in the pan.

I think it's great that they could have a long running teen in the series in those days without them having relationship-based storylines. Writers would probably be laughed out of the meeting room for suggesting such a thing today!

I'd have to agree with Steven and Selina - they were great.

I also loved Kylie and Jesse (were they teens or early 20s?) and the Selina/Jesse/Chloe love triangle.

I really liked Tug and Sarah together, as well as Shane and Angel. Steven and Selina and Jack and Sally were also good couples. From the less interesting 1997 gang I liked Aaron and Casey together. But my all time favourite couple was Will and Gypsy. They were a match made in heaven.

It's curious how the ones that spring to mind are the ones that never happened or didn't last very long.I spent months wanting Fin and Blake together then it happened right before he left.(I think they'd actually taken him off the credits already.)I quite liked the idea of Joey and Casey together and I think they kissed once.Same with Liam and Casey for that matter, who seemed to toy with the idea for an episode then forget it.Having said that I did like Liam with Stephanie and Joey with Tiegan. Sally and Nelson were quite cute too.

And I really wanted Damian and Sarah together.They seemed to be going that way when she first turned up, then she ended up with Tug.After they broke up, she and Damian went to the formal together and again nothing came of it.Ah well.

It's odd that, thinking about that whole Curtis/Selina/Shannon/Chloe/Jack group, most of whom seemed to date each other and the rest of the Bay at various points, I can't think of any pairings that I really loved or really hated(with a few exceptions), most of them they got right.Not sure if I've got more pickier as I've got older or if they used to write relationships better.I actually suspect it's the latter, since I'm getting the same feeling watching the 1980s episodes.

And I really wanted Damian and Sarah together. They seemed to be going that way when she first turned up, then she ended up with Tug.After they broke up, she and Damian went to the formal together and again nothing came of it.Ah well.

I was always waiting for Damian and Sarah to get together as well. They had similar personalities and were both smart and sensible, I thought it was strange that she went for Tug, but I did think Tug & Sarah were very sweet together.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in episode 4000 I'm sure Irene said that Tug and Sarah were now married and living on a farm? I don't think Sarah ever took him back after he bashed Shane on stage at the concert? I was always waiting for them to get back together but they didn't so they must have reconciled offscreen? Or am I wrong?

Red Ranger I agree with you that it's weird how the classic teen group (Shannon etc) didn't really create any memorable relationships. Selina/Curtis, Shannon/Curtis, Selina/Jack were good but not classic.

Joey and Tiegan were great to begin with but IIRC they got boring (well Tiegan did after she settled down and became nice).

Correct me if I'm wrong but in episode 4000 I'm sure Irene said that Tug and Sarah were now married and living on a farm? I don't think Sarah ever took him back after he bashed Shane on stage at the concert? I was always waiting for them to get back together but they didn't so they must have reconciled offscreen? Or am I wrong?

No, you're basically right.When Nathan came back in 2002, Alf told him that Tug and Sarah were married, which was news to us.I seem to remember when Tug left he actually went to work on Sarah's dad's farm while Sarah went off to uni, so it's not completely random.Although I seem to remember, and it's difficult to know for sure because I think I misheard the conversation at the time, that when Sarah came back for Shane and Angel's wedding she was meant to be engaged to someone else...

I loved Tug and Sarah too.I was disappointed that they never left together at the time,but was happy to hear they were married years later.Shane and Angel were also a great couple.It was so sad when Shane died.I also loved Blake and Sophie and Steven and Selena as couples.There were so many great couples on H&A during the 90's.

Archived