Eurovision Song Contest 2010!

Guest Homeandaway_fan1

You speak Dutch/Flemish in Flanders and French and German in Wallonia. In Brussels, people speak Dutch and/or French. I never know whether I should use 'French' or 'French-speaking' when I'm talking about the French-speaking part of Belgium because if I use 'French', it can mean 'from France' too. :rolleyes:

Gah! I always get it wrong! Okay, Flanders and Wallonia. I should be able to remember that! :lol: So, to correct my previous post: The Dutch-speaking region pick good songs, it seems! Ishtar in 2008 was great, as was Kate Ryan in 2006. And 2004. :wub: Wallonia sent a great act in 2003, though...

Considering I'm able to name all the German states I should be able to remember the regions in Belgium! Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have updated the my first post with new info

Sweden has had all of its four semifinals, now there is only the second chans this saturday and the final the next saturday then we will know who will represent Sweden in Oslo. Though I think thata the songs hasnt been really great this year.

Anyway on Saturday the 27th of February the last semifinal was held.

Anna Bergendahl with the song -This is My life and Peter Jöback with the song - Hollow went to the final. Peter Jöbacks song is written by Fredrik Kempe, he wrote the song for Swedens last two entrys in ESC, and I think he wrote Norways song for this year to. Peters song is ok, though I think he will go far in the final maybe even win since he is pretty popular in Sweden. I love Annas song it is really beautiful.

And Pernilla Wahlgren with- Jag Vill om Du Vågar and Neo with - Human Frontier. Pernillas is a real schlager, a typical Swedish Melodifestivalen song like they used to sound before. Neos song is ok.

ok song and singer... I liked her song from 93 much better, I actually loved that song. I am a big ESC fan... think it is funny every year, no matter how the Norwegian song do... And we have 10 last places, more than any other country in the contest (Finland has 8).

But I think that Niamh's song is a lot like the Norwegian entry this year... And a lot of people have mentioned that on the Norwegian ESC forum. But I do think that the Irish one is a bit stronger and Niamh is a better singer so if this goes through the semi it will be a hard for us to beat.

The Irish ESC fan club members - well one of the bloggers on their site- criticized the Norwegian song and said it was dull and he says he likes the Irish one, but doesn't he hear that they are a lot alike?

Well, I wasn't able to get tickets to the final, they were sold very quickly (in 20 min). And I couldn't get through on the phone and the net site threw me out when I was about to pay for the tickets. Irritating. But I got tickets for the second semifinal. Norway don't have to get through the semi because we are the host nation.. But I think it would be nice to just be there and see some action live. Ireland is in the second semi, so I get the chance to see her sing live. :lol:

------

About swedens fourth semifinal, I liked Annas song, that was good... but I don't know how it will work in the ESC though... Peter Jøback song was ok, but very musical like..., he has a good voice and a good scene performance, but I wonder if this song is too musical like for ESC viewers (like Norways song from 2001 was.) I think there are a lot of ballads this year, so I hope sweden choose some up-tempo song.

Fredrik Kempe wrote My heart is yours - which is Norways entry, but I don't think the songs are very alike. Peter Jøbacks song is more musical song, but he has a better voice than Didrik S-TAngen who sings for Norway. I have never been a fan of Norways song, we should have chosen one of the up-tempo songs.

I really like the Norwegian entry and I really like the Irish entry, but the only similarity I can find is the beginning of the chorus which has the same key change. They're both cliché ballads. Apart from that, I really don't see the uproar people are making over it. Didrik's song sounds like You Raise Me Up by Westlife. So I guess It's For You sounds like My Heart is Yours which sounds like You Raise Me Up. :lol:

It would be an absolute nightmare if Ireland qualified and ended up next to Norway in the Final. Two great ballads placed together!

I love Anna's song in Melodifestivalen. But I think Salem will win because it's quite different. However, I would be pleased if Timotej won. :P

I have updated more info in the top post.

Now Sweden has choosen all the songs for the final this saturday.

This is the order they will start in the final

1. Darin – You’re Out Of My Life

Music and lyrics: Henrik Janson, Tony Nilsson

A ballad, though I think this can go pretty far just because people will vote for Darin and not the song. The song is ok, but not more. He came second in Swedish Idol 2004.

2. Pernilla Wahlgren – Jag vill om du vågar

Music and lyrics: Pontus Assarsson (Music and lyrics), Daniel Barkman (lyrics), Jörgen Ringqvist (Music and lyrics)

A typical Schlager, a well known person in Sweden, her whole family is in the entertainment buisiness. Jag vill om du vågar - I want if you dare, if you translate it to english. I am glad it is in the final as this shows that Schlager hasnt completly died out, which is good since I love these kind of songs. But I dont want it to win.

3. Andreas Johnson – We Can Work It Out

Music and lyrics: Andreas Johnson, Bobby Ljunggren, Marcos Ubeda

All I can say is that I love this song and Andreas is an amazing singer. This is problably the last time he will compete in Melodifestivalen. He came on third place in 2006 and second in 2007. I will still listen to this song and he will still be my favourite Swedish artist no mather how he does in Saturday.

4. Timoteij – Kom

Music and lyrics: Niclas Arn, Gustav Eurén, Karl Eurén

I like this. It has a swedish sound. Which is great since we havent really had that on many songs for the last couple of years.

5. Peter Jöback – Hollow

Music and lyrics: Anders Hansson, Fredrik Kempe

Fredrik Kempe wrote this song. Also Norways song this year. I am really afraid this can win since he is really famous in Sweden, and that is why people will vote for him and not the song. It is ok, but it wont stand a chans in Eurovision.

6. Ola – Unstoppable (the return of Natalie)

Music and lyrics: Alexander Kronlund, Hanif Sabzevari, Dimitri Stassos, Ola Svensson

A typical Ola song, not his best. Love in Stereo was better. But he is also popular. Competed in Swedish Idol in 2005.

7. Jessica Andersson – I Did It For Love

Music and lyrics: Kristian Wejshag (lyrics), Lars ”Dille” Diedricson (music)

The girl from Fame, they competed for Sweden in 2003. A beautiful ballad, I am a little afraid this might get lost in the crowd if ot were to be sent to Eurovision.

8. Salem Al Fakir – Keep On Walking

Music and lyrics: Salem Al Fakir

This song has a unike sound. Wrote and compesed this song himself. I didnt really like this song at the begining. But after a fue times listening to it, I like it.

9. Anna Bergendahl – This Is My Life

Music and lyrics: Bobby Ljunggren (music), Kristian Lagerström (lyrics)

Another former Swedish Idol(2008) contestent. A great song and a beautiful voice.

10. Eric Saade – Manboy

Music and lyrics: Fredrik Kempe (Music and lyrics), Peter Boström (music)

A really typical Swedish pop song. It works for Disco but not Eurovision.

I really like the Norwegian entry and I really like the Irish entry, but the only similarity I can find is the beginning of the chorus which has the same key change. They're both cliché ballads. Apart from that, I really don't see the uproar people are making over it. Didrik's song sounds like You Raise Me Up by Westlife. So I guess It's For You sounds like My Heart is Yours which sounds like You Raise Me Up. :lol:

It would be an absolute nightmare if Ireland qualified and ended up next to Norway in the Final. Two great ballads placed together!

I love Anna's song in Melodifestivalen. But I think Salem will win because it's quite different. However, I would be pleased if Timotej won. :P

I do agree with you Cal, that Norways song reminds about You raise me up, too. But a little info: That song (you raise me up) is not a Westlife song, they just covered it... josh Groban had a hit with the song earlier, but first it was the Norwegian/Irish group, Secret Garden who had it, I think that the man who song for Ireland in 2006 Brian something (don't remember his name) sang it, but it was written by the norwegian composer Rolf Løvland who wrote the ESC winner songs for Norway in 1985 and 1995 (La det swinge/let it swing and Nocturne).

Yes I really do agree with you that it would have been a nightmare if Ireland ended up next to Norway in the final, but I don't think you have anything to fear, because in my opinion, the Irish song is the best!

But this year there are far too many ballads; this weekend 6 more countries have selected their entry and 4 of them (+ Ireland, and that will be 5) are ballads. Its going to be a really boring affair in Oslo. The quality on the songs is much lower than it was last year. Sad, because I really wanted the finals here in Norway to be good and memorable!

I have tickets for semifinal 2, the semi which Ireland is going to compete, but I am afraid I am going to fall asleep because of all the ballads--- we need some up-tempo now.

Sweden please do not send this Anna girl, not a ballad please!!!!!!! I fear that they're going to send a ballad since they have had problems in the last few years with their pop-song entries. Most people who vote in the national final probably don't know what the rest of Europe has sent to the ESC finals in Oslo and think a ballad will be a smartest choice....

I do agree with you Cal, that Norways song reminds about You raise me up, too. But a little info: That song (you raise me up) is not a Westlife song, they just covered it... josh Groban had a hit with the song earlier, but first it was the Norwegian/Irish group, Secret Garden who had it, I think that the man who song for Ireland in 2006 Brian something (don't remember his name) sang it, but it was written by the norwegian composer Rolf Løvland who wrote the ESC winner songs for Norway in 1985 and 1995 (La det swinge/let it swing and Nocturne).

Yes I really do agree with you that it would have been a nightmare if Ireland ended up next to Norway in the final, but I don't think you have anything to fear, because in my opinion, the Irish song is the best!

But this year there are far too many ballads; this weekend 6 more countries have selected their entry and 4 of them (+ Ireland, and that will be 5) are ballads. Its going to be a really boring affair in Oslo. The quality on the songs is much lower than it was last year. Sad, because I really wanted the finals here in Norway to be good and memorable!

I have tickets for semifinal 2, the semi which Ireland is going to compete, but I am afraid I am going to fall asleep because of all the ballads--- we need some up-tempo now.

Sweden please do not send this Anna girl, not a ballad please!!!!!!! I fear that they're going to send a ballad since they have had problems in the last few years with their pop-song entries. Most people who vote in the national final probably don't know what the rest of Europe has sent to the ESC finals in Oslo and think a ballad will be a smartest choice....

Oh, I know, I was just referring to Westlife's version of the song because the original is quite different. ^_^ I do think though that Norway will do better than Ireland. I love both songs equally, but I think Norway would have the home advantage. I'm sure all the Norwegians in the arena will be singing along with Didrik! :D (Jeg elsker Norge :P)

I don't mind if Eurovision is full of ballads. I used to hate them, but I'm beginning to like them now. Anna's song is Melodifestivalen is one of my favourites, and it would do very very well in Oslo. However, I would prefer if Timoteij won because it's quite different to what Sweden has sent in the past and has a lovely Swedish sound to it. :) I have to say, Melodifestivalen gets better every year!

I listened to a few of the entries that were selected over the weekend and I was horrified at Ukraine's entry and Russia's! Both absolutely AWFUL! I think it's safe to say they will not be in the final! Belgium's entry is really good and it will definitely qualify. ^_^ And Moldova's is quite good, too!

Anne Bergendahl- This is my lifewill represtent Sweden in Eurovision this year. It is a great song but I am afraid it will get lost in the crowd of all the other ballads. I voted for Andreas Johnson, Timoteij, Darin but I also wanted Salem to win as that song had a unique sound and I liked that song. I do like Annas to and think it is a beautful song, but I wanted Andreas or Salem to win, after them Timoteij and Darin, then Anna. But Anna was good and I do wish her all luck.

Archived