My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

CHAPTER 42: TEEN FRIENDSHIPS

“How could you even say such a thing?” Tony asked, shocked at Rachel’s question. “After all we’ve been through, do you honestly think that I don’t love you anymore?”

“But why all of a sudden do you mention Beth?” Rachel asked. “Beth died years ago.”

“I know, I know. It’s just that…..”

“Just what? Tell me the truth.” Rachel demanded.

“Well” Tony spoke, “Perhaps you better sit down. This is gonna be a long story.”

+++++

1:30PM

“Rubes, I know you’re in there. Open up!” Xavier was knocking at the front door at Roman’s house. After a few minutes, Ruby eventually decided to answer the door.

“What do you want now?” Ruby asked. “As if you haven’t done enough miserable things for me already!”

“I came to give you this” Xavier replied, handing a folded letter.

“What’s this?” Ruby asked, grabbing the note and unfolding it.

“It’s a letter from Irene” Xavier replied. “I went to the Diner this morning and explained to her that it was my fault you got into trouble the other day. Basically, Irene wrote this letter to apologise for yelling at you and that she is offering you the one available position.”

“I can see that” Ruby noted. “Oh my God. Xavier. But why?”

“It’s the least I can do. I was being such a jerk, and I shouldn’t have been.” Xavier replied. “Will you forgive me? Can we be friends again?” Ruby pulled him into a hug.

“Of course we can.”

“Thanks” Xavier replied. “And also, one more thing.”

“What?”

“It’s a surprise. Call Jai and Annie and meet me at the hospital in an hour.”

“Why at the hospital?” Ruby asked.

“Just trust me. There’s someone I want you to meet.”

+++++

At the Surf Club, Gina sat down at a table, reading a newspaper. Alf came up towards her with a glass of lemonade.

2:00PM

“Here’s your lemonade”

“Thanks Alf” Gina replied. “Hey Alf, take a look at this.” Gina pointed at an article in the newspaper.

“Suspect still unknown in Surf Club and Gym robbery. Well, that doesn’t surprise me.” Alf smirked. “I just don’t understand which flamin’ mongrel had the idea of robbing this joint.”

“Well at least you’re back in business, unlike my brother.” Gina noted. Alf sighed.

“Yeah, the poor man. How is he?”

“Martha told me that he finally woke up. I’m going to see him later tonight.”

“Give him my regards, and tell him we are all thinking of him” Alf said. “Sorry, have to go. There’s another customer. Don’t forget.”

“I won’t forget” Gina replied.

Jack, Lucas and Martha entered the Surf Club. Jack looked around and saw Gina sitting alone. He then turned back to the others.

“Hey babe, why don’t you and Luc find a seat. I need to speak to Aunt Gina privately for a moment.”

“Private?........er…….OK then.” Martha replied.

Jack headed towards his aunt.

“Hey Aunt Gina” Jack greeted.

“Hey, Jack, any further news on your Dad?”

“He’s OK. I think Rachel is with him at the moment.” Jack replied. “Actually, I’m glad I caught up to you here. I want to continue the discussion about Grandma’s death.”

“For the last time, Jack, I don’t want you to tell your father” Gina hastily responded.

“He WILL find out the truth eventually. He has a right to know” Jack argued. “I’m supposed to tell him now.”

“NO, JACK, NOT NOW. Your father’s just come out of an operation.” Gina replied. “If he hears one more thing about Mum, or Kent or anyone for that manner, it will kill him. Do you want your Dad to recover?”

“Yes, but….”

“Then you WON’T tell him!” Gina demanded.

“But what about when he finds out you and Hugo kept this all from him? He will hate you” Jack explained. “And now that Hugo also told Xavier, he’ll get mad!”

“Just leave everything to me” Gina calmly responded. “I’ll deal with this.”

“But Aunt Gina, you don’t understand, Dad’s………” Jack was abruptly interrupted by Gina, who was now annoyed.

“I WILL SAY THIS ONE LAST TIME. I am doing this to protect your Dad. I love him so much, that I don’t want him hurt, especially when he is recovering from something that almost killed him, and if keeping Mum’s death a secret is what it takes to protect him, then so be it. You will not tell your father this. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!” Gina stood up and stormed out of the Surf Club.

“Everything OK?” Alf asked.

+++++

“I know it sounds stupid.” Tony said, concluding the story.

“It’s not stupid at all” Rachel replied. “Near-death experiences are said to exist. Think of Sally and Tom, for example.”

“Yes, I remember. Poor Sally.”

Rachel stared out at the window into the sky.

“What’s wrong?” Tony asked.

“I just can’t believe it. I mean, Beth was the one you spoke to”

“Beth was the one who helped me see sense and come back to you” Tony replied. “She was not angry, or upset. It was just peaceful.” Tony looked into his fiancé’s eyes and saw a tear falling from her left eye.

“What are you thinking?” Tony asked, raising his hand and wiping the tear away.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” Rachel cried.

“Why? You have nothing to be sorry about.”

“But I do” Rachel replied. “I accused you of still having feelings for Beth without knowing the full story.”

“Come here” Tony reached out, giving her a gentle hug. “You’re the one I love. You’re the one who I will marry and have a child with. So, if anyone’s doing the apologizing, it’s me. I’m just sorry that………you and everyone had to go through the pain of almost losing me.”

+++++

2:30PM

“So what do you have to show us?” Ruby asked. She, along with Annie and Jai were with Xavier at the opposite end of the hospital. Xavier slowly reached the door knob.

“Before I let you in, you’ve all had the pox before, right?” Xavier asked.

“Yep” Ruby nodded.

“Same here” Jai added.

“Me too” Annie replied.

“OK then. Guys, I would like you to meet my brother, Brendan. Don’t worry, Dr. Winston said that the pox is almost completely gone”

“Where is he?” Annie asked. Everyone looked in to see an empty bed.

“BOO!” Brendan yelled out. He was hiding behind the door.

“Bandicoot!” Xavier smiled. “Nice of you to surprise us, but Dr. Winston said that you have to stay in bed, so come on, back we go.

“This is Brendan’s bed!” Brendan laughed.

“It sure is, and it’s waiting for you to climb into it” Xavier replied, helping his brother in. “Now, Bandicoot, I want you to meet some friends of mine. This is Ruby, Annie and Jai.

“Hey Brendan” Jai greeted him, but Brendan’s attention quickly turned to Annie, grabbing her hand and giving it a kiss.

“What a gentleman!” Annie commented. Everyone laughed.

+++++

Back at Tony’s room, Charlie entered. Rachel was outside, grabbing herself a coffee.

“So what’s up?” Tony asked.

“Just wanted to let you know that we got a call from the prison. Kent’s now been officially charged.”

“What are the charges?” Tony wondered.

“He’s being charged with kidnapping along with attempted murder to you, assault, as well as another murder….” Charlie was interrupted.

“Hang on, you lost me. Assault? Murder? Are you saying he murdered someone? Who?” Tony asked. Charlie was stunned at his question.

“Don’t you know? Didn’t Jack tell you?

“Know what?” Tony asked. “Please tell me what’s going on?”

“Tony, I hate to break this to you, I really do. And I thought Jack told you this already, but your mother in Alice Springs………….she……………..she died, Tony. I’m very sorry.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Unconscious)

Ray is hassled over the phone by a stranger.

Lucas and Martha work together to restore the Gym.

Annie discovers something at the Caravan Park.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER 43: UNCONSCIOUS

Rachel and Julie came out of Tony’s room into the corridor.

“How is he?” Charlie asked.

“He’s unconscious” Julie replied. “He was incredibly upset and out of control, that we had no choice but to give him a sedative. Excuse me.” Julie went back to the reception desk.

“Rachel, I’m so sorry” Charlie apologised. “I caused all this.”

“Don’t be” Rachel replied. “Tony had to find out the truth about his mum one way or the other. Does Gina know?”

“Jack says she knows. Hugo too.” Charlie replied. “Actually, I can’t stay long. I have some work to do at the station. Again, I’m so sorry to bring the bad news.”

“It’s OK, thank you Charlie.” Rachel replied. Charlie gave her a small smile, before turning around and heading out of the corridor.

+++++

“What a mess!” Lucas exclaimed. He and Martha peeked into the Gym for the first time since the robbery. Since Alf and Tony are business partners, Alf had always carried a spare key to the Gym.

“I think the Gym turned out worse than the bar!” Martha commented. “I still don’t know who would do such a thing.”

“Neither do I” Alf commented. Suddenly, Lucas came up with an idea.

“Guys, I have an idea. Alf, can I take your spare key?”

“er…….why?”

“I was thinking of giving Dad a surprise by restoring the Gym for him, before he leaves the hospital.” Lucas replied. “I’m not really doing anything for the next couple of days, so I have plenty of time to spare.”

“Actually, I’ve got some time off too, so I can help” Martha noted.

“Well……..OK, but remember this is the only spare key I have” Alf replied, taking out the key and handing it over to them. “It’s no longer my responsibility. If you lose it, then Tony will bite your heads off!”

“We’ll be careful” Martha laughed. “Luc, how about you start cleaning up whatever you can and I’ll quickly rush back home and get a few cleaning products.”

“No need, I have some here.” Alf said.

“Yeah, but have you seen the state of the Gym? It’s appalling. We need the “state of the art” cleaning products that I have. Sorry, grandad” Martha smiled.

“Since when did my granddaughter know much about cleaning products?” Alf wondered.

+++++

At the Agency, Ray was in his office when his mobile phone rang.

“Ray Henderson speaking……………………what?........NO! I can’t give you anymore. We had a deal. I did my end of the bargain, now you have to……………………..THAT WASN’T PART OF THE DEAL!.........................look, I can’t, it’s too risky. My new girlfriend Leah almost found out………no I stopped her from going into my office in time. She didn’t see it…………I’m telling you I can’t! GOODBYE!”

+++++

3:30PM

After visiting Brendan in hospital, Jai invited Annie, Ruby and Xavier for a late lunch at the Summer Bay Caravan Park House. As they were preparing the meals in the kitchen, they were greeted by a familiar nearby resident.

“Yoo Hoo. Only me” Colleen yelled out.

“Hey Colleen” Jai greeted her.

“I won’t stay, but I have just finished my shift at the Diner, and I was wondering if any of you have seen Roman by any chance.”

“Nope, haven’t seen him at all” Jai replied.

“Well, if you do, tell him that he has to come in tonight to replace Leah’s shift at the Diner. And, actually Ruby, since you’re here, Irene also told me to tell you that you first official shift at the Diner starts tonight as well.”

“OK thanks for letting me know” Ruby replied.

“OK well I’d better be off then”

“Bye Colleen” Jai replied. As they went back into the kitchen, they saw Annie staring at something out the window.

“You OK Annie?”

“Guys, look!” Everyone looked through the window. They saw Roman with the blonde stranger getting into a caravan.”

“Oh My God! Roman!” Ruby exclaimed.

“Isn’t that the blonde lady we saw at the beach before?” Xavier asked.

“Yes it is. I recognise her now” Jai exclaimed.

“Who is she?” Ruby asked.

“Her name is Tina. She came here a few days ago to rent out a caravan.”

“OK, but why is Roman with…………NO!!”

“What?” Xavier asked.

“Oh My God, is Roman having an affair behind my sister’s back?”

+++++

4:00PM

At the hospital, Jack arrived, but as he headed towards his father’s room, Rachel came up towards him.

“Hey Jack. Just be careful. Your father’s a bit unsteady at the moment.”

“Why? What do you mean?” Jack asked.

“He just found out about your grandma’s death.” Rachel explained. “Julie had to give him a sedative to calm him down, but he’s awake now.” At that moment, her phone rang. “Sorry Jack, I have a call. I’ll leave you to it.”

“No worries” Jack replied. Rachel headed off in the opposite direction.

“Thank God Aunt Gina came to her senses and told Dad the truth.” Jack muttered to himself. Turning the door knob, he entered the room.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Secrets)

Tony is inconsolable after learning about his mother’s death, but how will he react when he discovers that Gina and Hugo knew all along?

Hugo makes a second attempt to reconcile with Lucas.

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashbacks present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE

CHAPTER 44: SECRETS

“I’m back.” Martha yelled out, as she entered the Gym.

“Where’s the cleaning stuff?” Lucas asked.

“Well, my extra helper is bringing it in.” Martha replied. Hugo walked in with a box of sponges, sprays and detergents.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Lucas said in disbelief.

“I’m not.” Martha replied. “As I went home, I bumped into Hugo and he agreed to help us in here.”

“Yeah, it would be nice to do something for Uncle Tony for a change.” Hugo added.

“Don’t you start!” Lucas scowled. “After what you did!”

“I said I was sorry!” Hugo replied.

“Is something wrong?” Martha asked.

“Lucas is still angry at me for Uncle Tony’s kidnapping.”

“You bet I am!” Lucas growled. “Why are you here anyway?”

“I want to help clean up the gym for Uncle Tony.”

“Don’t bother” Lucas sternly replied.

“Excuse me?” Hugo asked.

“If you want to help, then you can by leaving and staying away from all of us!” Lucas yelled. “You are not welcome here!” Hugo, hurt at the comments made by his cousin, placed the box down and ran out of the gym.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!” Martha yelled at her brother-in-law.

+++++

Jack saw his father on the bed with his face hidden behind his pillow. Jack could hear him sobbing silently.

“Dad, I’m so sorry” Jack softly spoke. He reached out to hug his father.

“Why?” Tony cried. “Why is this happening? What did I do?”

“Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault at all” Jack reassured him.

Tony slowly began to calm himself down.

“How did mum die?”

“She died from internal injuries.” Jack replied.

“What do you mean?” Tony asked. “How did mum get injured?”

“Kent attempted to murder her a couple of weeks ago” Jack replied. “The injuries that killed her were not detected until a week after the attack, and…………hang on. Didn’t Aunt Gina tell you this?”

“No. Charlie told me that Mum died.” Tony said.

“Charlie?” Jack was surprised. Tony nodded.

“Gina never told me anything about.…….does she know that mum died?”

Jack nodded slowly.

“Hang on…..” Tony responded. “Something isn’t right here. Why did you ask me if Gina told me about how mum died? Does she know about all of this?” Jack stood there, not knowing what to say.

“ANSWER ME!” Tony demanded.

“Dad, please. I’m sorry.” Jack replied. “I thought Aunt Gina told you, but….” Jack was interrupted when Tony suddenly grabbed onto his arm and pulled onto him.

“TELL ME THE TRUTH, JACK!” Tony ordered. Jack saw the fear in his father’s eyes. He could not keep his Aunt’s secret any longer.

“She knew about all this. I’m sorry, Dad” Jack was close to tears.

“How long has she known?” Tony asked. “Tell me!”

“A few days ago” Jack responded. “She gave the bad news to Hugo.”

“SHE TOLD HUGO?” Tony yelled. He began to get angry.

“Then Hugo told Xavier…”

“WHAT?” Tony screamed. “SHE TELLS HER SONS, BUT SHE DIDN’T TELL ME ANYTHING? WHY?”

Jack saw his father's face filled with anger and hate. He then remembered what Gina told him:

“If he hears one more thing about Mum, or Kent or anyone for that manner, it would kill him. Do you want your Dad to recover?”

“WHY DID SHE KEEP THIS FROM ME?”

“Dad,” Jack calmly spoke. “Gina didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to see you hurt, like you are right now, especially after all that’s happened.

“THAT’S JUST STUPID!” Tony yelled. “WHAT? DOES SHE THINK I CAN’T HANDLE ANYMORE NEWS?”

“It’s not that, but…..” Jack was interrupted.

“GINA SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME FIRST! THIS IS MY MUM WE’RE TALKING ABOUT. I SHOULDN’T JUST HEAR ABOUT IT FROM CHARLIE! TELL ME, JACK. DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW ABOUT THIS? COLLEEN? THE WHOLE TOWN?

“I’m sorry, Dad.” Jack softly replied. “Please don’t give Aunt Gina or Hugo a hard time because of this.”

“I’M SORRY, BUT I CAN’T FORGIVE HER, OR HUGO” Tony replied. “I HATE THEM FOR DOING THIS TO ME. I JUST CAN’T BELIEVE THEY DIDN’T TELL ME……….AND THEY KNEW ABOUT MUM ALL ALONG!”

+++++

“HUGO” Martha yelled out, as she caught up to him. He was sitting by himself, alone on the Beach.

“Why did you take off like that?”

“Everyone hates me, including Lucas!” Hugo replied. Martha sat down beside him.

“Don’t say that!” Martha replied. “No one hates you. Jack and I don’t hate you.”

“Well try telling that to Lucas” Hugo scoffed. “I don’t blame him though. I probably would have done the same if I were him.” Martha sighed.

“Just ignore him. One day, he will realise that what happened to Tony was not your fault.” Martha placed her hand on his shoulder. “If you want to talk, you know that Jack and I will be here for you.”

Hugo suddenly got up.

“I’m sorry, was it something I said?” Martha asked.

“I just need some time alone. I’ll deal with this myself.”

“Please, talk to me” Martha pleaded. “Tell me how you feel, and let us help you.”

“I DON’T NEED HELP FROM YOU OR JACK, I NEED TO BE ALONE!” Hugo yelled. He then stormed off in the other direction.

“HUGO!” Martha yelled. Hugo ignored her and kept on walking.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Telephone Conversation)

What has Richard been hiding from Jack and Charlie?

Lucas notices Ray’s strange behaviour.

CHAPTER 45: TELEPHONE CONVERSATION

4:15PM

Lucas was at the Diner having his very late lunch break. Martha stormed in and took the plate of food away from him.

“Hey, I was eating that!” Lucas said.

“You’ll get it back after you hear what I have to say!” Martha replied.

“Which is……”

“Do you realize what you did earlier? Why did you have to be so mean to your cousin?”

“He let Grandad in so that he could kidnap Dad!” Lucas argued. “It’s his fault that Dad was tortured at the burning warehouse!”

“But it wasn’t Hugo’s fault” Martha replied. “He didn’t intentionally open the door for Kent.”

“Whatever” Lucas scoffed.

“You know what?” Martha yelled. “YOU NEED TO GROW UP! IT’S OBVIOUS THAT THE SCHOOL CAMP TAUGHT YOU NOTHING ABOUT BEING A BETTER PERSON. YOU NEED TO STOP BEING A BRAT AND GET OVER IT!”

“WHAT ON EARTH’S GOING ON?” Irene yelled. She was staring from the counter, looking unimpressed at them.

“Nothing Irene, sorry for yelling” Martha replied. She tossed the plate back on the table in front of Lucas.

“You know what, I don’t need a lecture from you!” Lucas screamed. He picked up his plate and left the Diner.

Finding an empty table outside, Lucas sat down. As he was eating, he could hear Ray, who was sitting on the table behind him, arguing on his mobile.

“I told you the deal’s off!.....................It was hard enough to get the Real Estate business started again…………….well you’ll just have to help yourself. You’re not getting one cent from me!...............What?...................I did this for Leah, not for you. Just leave me alone. She’s mine!”

Stunned at what Ray had just said, Lucas began to wonder. What is Ray up to, and what did he do for Leah?

+++++

4:30PM

At the Yabbie Creek Police Station,

“Hey guys, I want you to meet my fiancé!” Richard called out. “Guys, this is Tina.”

“Tina. Nice to meet you. I’m Jack” Jack greeted her with a handshake. Tina went around the room and introduced herself to the other officers. Charlie went up to Richard.

“Richard, I didn’t know you were engaged!”

“Me neither” Jack replied. “When did this happen?”

“A month ago” Richard replied. Charlie and Jack were in shock.

“You’re kidding! Why didn’t you mention something before?” Charlie asked.

“I wouldn’t think any of you would be interested. You’re all busy here at the station.”

“What?” Jack was surprised. “Of course we’d be interested. In fact, why don’t you and Tina join Martha, Charlie and I for dinner tonight.

“But……” Richard was interrupted.

“We’re not taking no for an answer.” Charlie smiled.

“Well…………OK then” Richard replied.

+++++

Hugo arrived at the Holden House to see his mother cooking a recipe in the kitchen.

5:00PM

“Hi Mum” Hugo called out. “Something smells good.”

“It’s your Uncle’s favourite” Gina replied. “Chicken and Vegetable casserole.”

“Nice” Hugo commented.

“Don’t tell Rachel, but remember back in Broken Hill when your Uncle had a breathing problem and had to stay overnight in Hospital? He kept on complaining about how horrible the food was, and no offence to Rachel and the staff, but I have a feeling that he doesn’t like the food here either, so when I go and see him tonight, I’ll sneak this in.”

“Good Luck!” Hugo chuckled.

“You’ll need the good luck because you’re going to be the one who carries it inside” Gina laughed. “Anyway, I convinced Rachel to take a break from the hospital, so she’ll be here tonight, Xavier will probably be with his friends, while the two of us go and see your Uncle.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Hugo replied.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Exposed!)

Charlie and Richard are furious when Ruby lets slip about Roman and Tina.

Gina is left in shock when she realizes that Tony knows about Brenda’s death.

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 46: EXPOSED!

Darkness clouded Summer Bay as night fell, but the lights of the small town glowed everywhere.

7:00PM

In the Diner, Charlie, Jack and Martha, followed by Richard and his fiancé Tina entered and sat down at a table. Roman, who was at the front counter was shocked to see Tina and bolted into the Kitchen.

“Something wrong?” Irene asked.

“Sorry Irene, but could I swap positions with you? Could you take over the counter?” Roman asked.

“er……….OK then” Irene replied. “Ruby should be here soon, so she can help you in here.” Irene left the kitchen.

“Did they get rid of the termites in your apartment yet?” Jack asked.

“They’re still doing some repairs” Richard replied. “Shame they haven’t finished yet. The damage was so bad, that we have to stay elsewhere until it’s fixed.”

“Really, that bad?” Martha said.

“Yeah. I’m staying at Warren’s apartment for now” Richard spoke. “But it’s so small, that sadly there was no room for Tina.”

Tina laughed. “I told him not to worry about me. “I booked myself a caravan to stay in for a little while until Richard’s apartment is fixed.”

At that moment, Xavier and Ruby arrived.

“Rubes, come over here for a second.” Charlie called out. “I want you to meet a new friend of ours. This is Tina, Constable Richard Dean’s fiancé. Tina, this is my sister, Ruby.”

“Nice to meet you” Tina smiled.

“You too” Ruby smiled back. “Hang on, I’m sure I’ve seen you somewhere.” As she stared into Tina’s face, she suddenly remembered the discussion she had with her friends earlier that day.

“Isn’t that the blonde lady we saw at the beach before?” Xavier asked.

“Yes it is. I recognise her now” Jai exclaimed.

“Who is she?” Ruby asked.

“Her name is Tina. She came here a few days ago to rent out a caravan.”

“OK, but why is Roman with…………NO!!”

“What?” Xavier asked.

“Oh My God, is Roman having an affair behind my sister’s back?”

“Rubes, you OK?” Xavier asked.

“I’m fine, sorry. Excuse me for a moment.” Ruby, followed by Xavier went to the counter.

“Hey Irene, Is Roman here?” Ruby asked.

“In the Kitchen, love” Irene replied. Ruby entered the kitchen and spotted Roman washing dishes in the sink.

“Hey Rubes, glad that you’re working with us……….” Roman was interrupted.

“I know about you and that blonde girl!” Ruby sternly responded.

Meanwhile at the table,

“I’ll buy us all some drinks” Charlie said. “I’ll just be at the counter.”

“Excuse me?” Roman questioned.

“That girl in there, Tina” Ruby replied. “We saw you in a caravan with her this afternoon.”

“Who’s ‘we’?” Roman asked. He began to panic.

“Myself, Xavier, Annie, Jai and perhaps everyone in the caravan park” Ruby replied “Her caravan was pretty much a gallery for all the residents. Your curtains were not closed and we saw you two from all angles!”

“Rubes, please. Don’t tell anyone”

“TELL ANYONE WHAT?” Ruby yelled. “THAT YOU CHEATED ON MY SISTER WITH THAT BLONDE, WHO HAPPENS TO BE ENGAGED TO MR. DEAN? HOW COULD YOU DO SUCH A THING?” At that moment, Charlie appeared in the Kitchen, after hearing everything her sister had said.

“Is that true?” Charlie asked, shocked at what she just heard. Roman fell silent.

“ANSWER ME!” Charlie demanded. Roman bowed his head in shame and guilt.

“Yes” Roman whispered. “But, Charlie.......” Charlie stormed out of the Kitchen.

“TINA!” Charlie yelled. Tina turned around to face Charlie, who was marching towards her.

“HOW DARE YOU!” Charlie yelled, slapping her in the face.

“HEY!” Richard yelled. “WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING? THAT IS MY FIANCE!”

“YOUR FIANCE HAD AN AFFAIR WITH MY BOYFRIEND!” Charlie shouted.

“WHAT?” Richard yelled. He was now furious.

“Mate, calm down” Jack said, holding onto Richard. Richard pushed Jack’s hands away from him.

“TINA, IS WHAT CHARLIE SAYING TRUE?”

“I’m sorry, Richard” Tina replied. “I never meant for you to find out.”

“WHAT?” Richard screamed. “YOU MEAN, I WAS GOING TO MARRY YOU AND YOU WERE GOING TO KEEP THIS A SECRET FROM ME!”

“Richard, please” Tina pleaded with him to calm down.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS, I THOUGHT WE WERE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER, BUT YOU CHOSE TO CHEAT ON ME, I CAN’T MARRY YOU NOW! I HATE YOU!” Richard stormed out of the Diner.

“Richard!” Jack yelled out.

+++++

At the hospital, Gina and Hugo entered Tony’s room.

“Hey little brother” Gina smiled. “Look what we brought for you!” Hugo placed a large container of Gina’s casserole on Tony’s bedside table.

“Mum made it especially for you” Hugo noted.

“Yeah, I remember the last time you said that the hospital food was horrible” Gina chuckled. Tony stared directly at her with a frown on his face.

“Tony, are you OK?” Gina asked. Tony continued to stare at her.

“Uncle Tony?” Hugo called out.

“Hugo, can you wait outside? I want to speak to your mother alone.” Tony said.

“er………sure” Hugo replied. When Tony saw his nephew exit the room, he turned his attention straight to his sister. Gina noticed Tony becoming upset.

“Tony, what’s wrong?”

“I can’t believe you kept it a secret from me!”

“What secret?” Gina asked.

“Mum!” Tony cried. “Why did you not tell me she died?” Gina was in shock after hearing this.

“Tony, It’s not what you think……..”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: A friend In Need)

Furious and Angry, Tony throws the entire Austin Family out of his house, and out of his life.

Jack and Warren are worried when Richard fails to arrive to work. Where could he be?

Hugo begs Martha for help.

NOTE: In case some of you don't remember from the list of new characters in the first chapter, Warren is Richard's Brother.

Who could be Tina?

Ohhh, poor Tony - he's not having a good time is he? :(

A great update and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Tina is Constable Richard Dean's fiance, and also the blonde who Roman had admitted to having an affair with. I wrote Tina just as a one-time character, just to create friction between Charlie, Richard and Roman, which will develop into a small storyline of its own. She is in no way related to the main storyline. Hope I answered your question :)

Now for the next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 47: A FRIEND IN NEED

7:15PM

“HOW DARE YOU!!” Tony was furious with his sister. Gina tried all in vain to calm her little brother down, but to no avail.

“HOW COULD YOU KEEP THIS A SECRET FROM ME?”

“I’m sorry Tony” Gina replied. “It’s just......”

“JUST WHAT?” Tony yelled. “First, I get lies about Mum from Dad, then I find out Mum’s been assaulted by Dad, and then I find out she’s dead, because of undiscovered injuries from the assault…..and to top it off, I find out that you, my own sister, knew all along about this!”

“I didn’t want to harm you. Don't get me wrong Tony, I was going to tell you eventually, but I just wanted you now to only focus on getting better.” Gina calmly replied.

“Getting better?......GETTING BETTER?......HOW AM I GOING TO GET BETTER? YOU KEPT THIS ALL FROM ME!” Tony screamed. “YOU AND HUGO KEPT SECRETS FROM ME. I thought you were the loving and caring older sister that I knew, but now I don’t know what to think about you, or Hugo.

His fury escalated, sending Gina into tears. Upon hearing the yelling, Hugo rushed into the room.

“What’s going on?”

“GET OUT!!” Tony ordered.

“What?”

“BOTH OF YOU, GET OUT!!” Tony demanded. “AND START PACKING YOUR BAGS!” Gina was confused.

“What are you saying?”

“PACK YOUR BAGS. I WANT ALL OF YOU OUT OF MY HOUSE!” Hugo was shocked.

“Please Uncle Tony, you don’t mean that.” Upon hearing that, Tony was now in a fit of rage.

“I DAMN WELL MEAN IT” Tony scowled at his nephew. “YOU KEPT THIS TERRIBLE SECRET FROM ME, AND I CANNOT FORGIVE YOU. I CAN’T EVEN BEAR TO LOOK AT EITHER OF YOU. WHEN I GET OUT OF THIS HOSPITAL, I WANT TO SEE ALL OF YOU OUT OF MY HOUSE AND OUT OF MY LIFE, FOR GOOD!!”

Upon hearing this, Gina rushed out of the room, crying. Hugo raced out behind her, in an attempt to comfort his mother.

+++++

The next morning was a rainy one for the citizens of Summer Bay and Yabbie Creek.

8:00AM.

Jack arrived at the Station and was greeted by Constable Watson.

“Hey Jack” Watson greeted him, handing him a cup of coffee.

“Wow, thanks” Jack replied. “Hang on, there’s something different about you today. You seem nicer than usual. What’s with the coffee?”

“Well” Watson smiled. “I was going to keep this a secret, but………….today is actually my 28th Birthday.”

“Congratulations!” Jack exclaimed, giving her a hug. “Shame it’s on such a gloomy day.”

“Oh well, doesn’t matter. I guess you can’t have everything!” Watson smiled. Jack chuckled.

“Is Charlie here?” Jack asked.

“She’s in her office” Watson replied. “She said she wanted to be alone. Is there something wrong?”

Jack sighed. “It’s a long story. I better tell you later.”

Jack noticed one more cup of coffee on the table.

“Who’s coffee is that?” Jack asked. “Isn’t everyone here?”

“Nope. Richard’s not here yet.” Watson replied. “Pretty strange of him. He’s usually one of the first to arrive every morning.”

“Hmm….” Jack replied.

“Hope he comes soon, or his free coffee will get cold!” Watson laughed. “I have to use the Ladies room. Excuse me.”

At that moment, Jack’s mobile rang.

“Jack speaking”

“Hey Jack, it’s Warren. Have you seen Richard?”

“I haven’t seen him since last night” Jack replied. “Why, what’s up?”

“I’m just worried. He never came back home to my apartment.” Warren replied.

“What?” Jack exclaimed. “Where could he be?”

+++++

Meanwhile, at the pier not far from the Diner,

Richard sat down on the edge of the pier. He was wearing the same suit and tie that he wore to the Diner the night before. He felt the fabric swell up as the rain fell on him, leaving him drenched. Richard then looked at his right hand and saw the plain, gold engagement ring that Tina gave him on his finger. Slowly taking it off, he grabbed it with his left hand and threw it as far as possible into the water. Overcome by grief, he buried his face in his hands, sobbing.

+++++

At the Bachelor Pad, Martha was on the phone with Martin Bartlett.

“Lucas isn’t here at the moment. He left early this morning…………………….perhaps you will find him at the Gym next to the Surf Club……………….yeah he’s doing some cleaning work in there……………………..I’m sure Tony is proud of him………………………….He’s slowly on the mend in hospital………………I’ll pass on your best wishes to him. By the way I also hear that you’ll be going to Darwin for a couple of days...........well, I think it’s good to get a break and make sure you’re all fresh for the next school term.......................OK, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Thanks for calling. Bye.”

Martha went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for herself but was interrupted by a knock on the door. Opening the door, Martha was shocked to see Hugo, who was completely drenched.

“I’m sorry, Martha” Hugo begged. “I need your help!”

“Come here” Martha replied, pulling him into a tight hug.”

+++++

“Is there something wrong, Jack?” Watson asked, noticing a concerned look on his face.

“Warren just called” Jack replied.

“Warren?” Watson asked “You mean Richard’s brother?”

“Yeah” Jack replied. “He called me, saying that Richard never came home last night. I know something’s wrong. I think it’s because of what happened with Tina.”

“What happened with Tina?”

“Richard found out she was having an affair with Charlie’s boyfriend, Roman” Jack sighed.

“WHAT?” Watson exclaimed. “AND I HAVE TO HEAR THIS? ON MY BIRTHDAY?”

“I have to go find him” Jack said. Picking up his coat and umbrella, Jack left the station

+++++

9:30AM

Jack was driving towards Summer Bay when his mobile rang. Turning on his earpiece, he answered the call.

“Jack speaking.”

“Jack, it’s Colleen” Colleen replied. “Listen, I couldn’t help but notice that one of your colleagues is sitting by himself at the pier, just outside the Diner.”

“Richard?” Jack asked.

“It looks like him. I can’t see very well because of the rain. He looks like he needs a friend right now.”

“I’ll be on my way” Jack replied. “Thanks Colleen”

Five minutes later, Jack parked his car outside the Diner. Seeing Colleen standing with her binoculars at the porch, he came up towards her.

“Hey Colleen” Jack called out. “Where is he?”

“Over there” Colleen pointed out. Jack looked at Colleen’s direction and saw Richard sitting alone.

“Richard!” Jack sighed. “I better go talk to him.”

Richard stared at the water below him, watching the drops of rain causing ripples on the surface. He heard footsteps coming towards him, followed by a hand on his shoulder. Turning around, he saw Jack sitting beside him.

“She cheated on me. She broke my heart, Jack” Richard sobbed.

“Shh, it’s OK, Richard. Don’t cry. I’m here” Jack replied. “That’s what mates are for.”

+++++

As the morning continued, the rain slowly drew to a calm and gentle drizzle.

10:00AM.

“Did you find Richard?” Watson asked Jack, who had just arrived back at the station.

“Yeah” Jack replied. “Colleen and I found him at the pier near the Diner.”

“How is he?”

“Not good” Jack sighed. “He spent the whole night at the Beach, in the pouring rain. Julie is treating him at the hospital at the moment. He was very dehydrated and suffering from Hypothermia. I’m going to pick him up later and take him back to Warren’s apartment. How’s Charlie?”

“She just left a few minutes ago” Watson replied. “She said she’s taking the day off, so she’s left me in charge for now. I think she went out to meet with Ruby.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: The Story)

Gina tells Alf the story of Tony’s childhood life.

Jack becomes suspicious of Ray. What is he hiding?

Here's the next chapter. :) This is quite a long chapter (plus, this was my FAVOURITE chapter to write, and perhaps one of the most significant chapters in relation to the main storyline.) Hopefully you'll all like it, (I need more feedback/comments people haha :P )

CHAPTER 48: THE STORY

At the Surf Club, Gina sat by herself at a table. Alf approached her with a glass of water.

“Thanks Alf” Gina whispered. She did not even look up at him.

“Something wrong?” Alf asked, noticing the sad look on her face. Gina, unable to hold back her pain and hurt suddenly burst into tears.

“Sorry Alf” Gina apologized. Alf sat down beside her.

“It’s OK” Alf replied. “What’s going on? You can talk to me.”

“It’s my brother” Gina spoke. “He kicked all of us out of his house.”

“YOU’RE KIDDING!” Alf exclaimed. “I don’t understand. That is not the Tony I know.”

“He found out about Mum’s death”

“What? Your Mum died?...............I’m…….I’m sorry, Gina. I had no Idea.” Alf replied.

“The worst part is that Hugo and I, as well as Xavier kept Mum’s death a secret from him, and now, look at what’s happened. He hates us and wants us out of his life for good.”

“Hang on” Alf interrupted. “You said that you kept your Mum’s death a secret from Tony. Why would you do that?”

“I was going to tell him eventually, but I didn’t want him to know right now because I didn’t want to see him hurt. I wanted him only to focus on getting better” Gina cried. “It was terrible when I found out that Dad kidnapped him and threatened to kill him, and Tony almost died in the hospital. Throughout his childhood, he suffered because of Dad’s drunken rages, and now the past has caught up with him. I watched as he struggled to get away from Dad, and it was only until one night, Mum had snuck into his bedroom and gave him some cash and a bus ticket for him to run away. Mum had secretly arranged with Dad’s brother, Andrew, to take care of him.

“Hang on” Alf interrupted. “Your Dad’s brother? Kent’s brother? Why Kent’s brother?”

“Don’t worry” Gina reassured him. “Andrew Holden is a nice man, completely different to Dad. In fact, that’s why he moved from Alice Springs to Adelaide, because he couldn’t get along with Dad anymore.

“So anyway, what happened with Tony?”

“It’s a long story” Gina replied.

“Darling, take this” Brenda whispered to her ten year old son, handing over some cash and a bus ticket. “You have to catch the early bus. It’s at 3:00AM. It goes straight to Port Augusta. From there, you need to change buses to the one that goes direct to Adelaide, where your uncle Andrew will be waiting.” After hearing this, Tony was in tears.

“Mum, I’m scared. Why can’t you and Gina come with me?”

“I can’t, sweetheart” Brenda replied. “Dad will get suspicious and will hurt all of us. But you still have a chance to get away from all this and have a better life.”

Brenda then went out into the hallway and peeked into Kent’s bedroom. Seeing that he was completely passed out from the alcohol, she quickly tip-toed back into Tony’s room.

“OK Tony, come out now, quickly and quietly.” Brenda whispered. Tony took his backpack, grabbed his teddy bear and headed out into the hallway. Reaching the front door, Brenda and Tony stood outside.

“You remember where the bus stop is, don’t you?” Brenda asked Tony. Tony nodded. Shedding tears, Brenda knelt down and gave Tony a big hug.”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart, for having to do this.”

“I love you, mum” Tony cried.

“I love you too, Tony” Brenda replied.

Gina continued. “Little did they both know, that I saw everything from my bedroom window. I wanted to go with Tony, but Mum said that if I went, Dad would get even more suspicious and will attack Mum. Besides, between Tony and myself, Tony was the main target from Dad’s drunkenness.”

“But wouldn’t Kent get suspicious already, knowing that Tony wasn’t in the house?” Alf asked.

“Dad didn’t really care about Tony at all” Gina said. “It wouldn’t have made a difference if he was at home or not. That’s how terrible he was.”

“So what happened next?” Alf asked.

“What happened next is based on what Tony told me, years later” Gina replied. “It goes something like this.....”

Tony sat down on the bench at the bus stop in the freezing cold. Looking at his watch, it read 2:50AM. Tony then looked around and saw someone heading towards him. It was a girl, roughly his age. Scared, Tony curled himself up, shaking in fear.

“Who......who are you? Please, don’t hurt me” Tony panicked. The girl responded with a laugh.

“Come on, don’t be silly” the girl replied. “Why would I hurt you? Besides, what are you doing here in the dark? Are you waiting for the bus as well?”

Tony nodded. “I’m heading off to Port Augusta, then to Adelaide.”

“Port Augusta? Adelaide?” The girl gasped. “That’s far away. Why are you going there?”

“I’m running away from my Dad” Tony replied.

“Wow, that’s a long way to travel to run from your Dad.”

“Actually, my Uncle Andrew lives there.” Tony said. “Where are you heading off to?”

“I’m running away too” Kate replied. “My parents are mean to me.” Suddenly, Tony thought of an idea.

“You know what?” Tony asked. “Why don’t you run away with me to Adelaide?”

“But I don’t even know you” the girl replied.

“My name’s Tony.” Tony reached out his hand slowly. The girl, at first hesitant, eventually held onto his hand to shake it.

“I’m Kate. Nice to meet you.”

“Wow” Alf exclaimed. “So that’s how he and Kate met. What happened next?”

“The bus came and they both got on” Gina continued. “I remember Tony telling me that the bus driver was very strange. He never spoke to them during the trip, or even wondered why two ten year olds were travelling alone over a thousand kilometres from Alice Springs to Port Augusta. Even during their rest stops, he would go off in one direction and Tony and Kate would head off in another direction. Anyway, they all arrived eventually at the Bus Terminal in Port Augusta.......”

Tony and Kate entered the second bus, and were the only passengers there. The new bus driver, known as Scott, started up the bus and began to drive off.

Many hours later, the bus pulled over at the destination. Noticing that Tony and Kate were asleep, Scott went over towards them and gently woke them up.

“Hey Kids” Scott smiled. “You fell asleep. We’re here now.”

“Adelaide?” Tony asked.

“Adelaide?” Scott was confused. “Sorry mate, we’re not in Adelaide, we’re in Broken Hill”

“Broken Hill?” Kate gasped. “Tony, we caught the wrong bus!” Scott noticed Tony was crying.

“What’s wrong, mate?”

“We caught the wrong bus” Tony cried. “We were meant to see Uncle Andrew in Adelaide.”

“Is there some way we can contact him?” Scott asked. Tony opened his backpack and took out a note with a phone number written on it and gave it to Scott.

“Mum gave this to me.”

“No worries, mate. We’ll contact him and let him know you’re safe.”

“But where are we gonna go?” Kate asked. Scott thought of an idea.

“Don’t worry, I’ll look after you” Scott smiled.

“Tony told me that Scott called Uncle Andrew, saying that he has him and Kate in Broken Hill” Gina continued. “During that time, Scott welcomed Tony and Kate into his home and took care of them until Uncle Andrew picked him up the next day and took him to Adelaide. Uncle Andrew was also very fond of Kate and even won a court battle against Kate’s parents to legally become her guardian. It turned out that Kate’s parents were involved in illegal activities, and ‘DOCS’ were in favour of handing Kate over to Andrew because they believed that her parent’s environment was unsuitable for a ten year old to live in.

“Wow!” Alf exclaimed. “What a story!”

“There’s still more” Gina replied. “About seven or so years later, Tony came back to Uncle Andrew’s house after finishing the High School Certificate, and Kate told him she was pregnant with his baby. Both had huge smiles on their faces, from what Andrew told me. Nine months later, Jack was born. But then, about a month after that, Uncle Andrew arrived home with some bad news.....

“I’m sorry to say that Scott, the bus driver who took care of you in Broken Hill, passed away a week ago, from a heart attack during a bus drive on the way to Port Augusta.”

“Scott!” Tony gasped. “Oh my God!”

“I can’t believe it!” Kate replied in shock. “He was so good to us.”

“How did you find out about this?” Tony asked his uncle.

“I received a letter this morning” Andrew replied. “But that’s not all.....”

Gina continued. “Uncle Andrew told them that Scott had written a Will, which was dated 30th January, 1976 – the day after Andrew took Tony and Kate with him to Adelaide. The Will stated that Scott left his house, his car and all his belongings in Broken Hill, to them. From that moment on, Tony and Kate were both the rightful owners of everything that Scott owned.

“Strewth!” Alf exclaimed. “How did that happen?”

“Tony found out years later that Scott was also harmed by his parents during his childhood. He had no siblings and he never kept contact with relatives and friends. He was pretty much a lonely man. The only happy time in his life was when he took care of Tony and Kate for that one day.”

“So what happened next?” Alf asked, eager to know more.

Tony and Kate were packing the last of their things into the car. Tony, followed by Kate went up to Andrew and hugged him.

“Take care, guys” Andrew said.

“We will” Kate smiled. Andrew saw one year old Jack Holden waving his hand from his baby seat in the car.

“Bye Jack” Andrew smiled. “Be good.

“Tony and Kate, along with baby Jack moved into Scott’s house and made Broken Hill their home. They both got married, and soon, Lucas was born. I then found out about them living there, and I visited them secretly, without telling Dad where they were. I saw Tony for the first time in years since he fled. He looked happy with his new family.”

“But then there was Kate’s……….you know” Alf commented. “Beth told me a long time ago about what Tony told her about Kate.”

“Yes” Gina nodded. “Tony rang me up two days after Kate was killed in that drive-by mugging, and was desperate for help.....”

“Please, please help me” Tony sobbed over the phone. “I don’t know what to do.” At that moment, eight year old Jack appeared from the hallway, staring straight at his father. He could tell something is wrong.

“Jack, go and play with Luc in your room.” Tony said. He didn’t want his son to see him cry. Jack continued to stare at him.

“GO TO YOUR ROOM, NOW!” Tony yelled. Scared, Jack ran to his room and closed the door. Tony stood still in shock at what he just did. He picked up the phone again.

“Oh my God! What have I done?” Tony cried. “I just yelled at Jack! I’m just like Dad, I’m a horrible father! Please, Gina. You got to help me! How am I going to explain what happened with Kate to the boys? Everything is getting harder, and those terrible neighbours have spread false rumours all over Broken Hill saying I’m the one who mugged her. I’m worried that I’m gonna lose control. Please, I’m begging you. Help me!”

That’s when my husband Jeremy......well, now my ex-husband and I moved in with him with Hugo and baby Brendan. He became happy again and he didn’t mind all of us staying at his house. It was actually his idea.”

“And I suppose you wanted to see Tony happy again.” Alf hinted.

“Correct” Gina replied. “I kept Mum’s death a secret from him because I knew, deep down in my heart that If I told him, now anyway, it would kill him. I hated seeing him so unhappy. I only wanted to protect him from the past. Please Alf, please tell me you believe me?” Alf held onto her hand.

“Of course I believe you” Alf replied. “I know that all you wanted was to protect Tony.”

“Thanks Alf” Gina smiled, wiping the tears away from her eyes.

“So what are you going to do now?”

“I guess I’ll have to go home and start packing my bags.” Gina replied.

“Don’t pack just yet.” Alf urged.

“I have to” Gina sighed. “Tony’s due to leave the hospital in a couple of days, and he made it clear he doesn’t want any of us there.”

“Perhaps If I go talk to him” Alf suggested.

“I wouldn’t think it would make a difference.” Gina asked. “You should have seen how angry he was to Hugo and I last night.”

“Trust me, I’ll get him to change his mind” Alf replied. “Just don’t pack you bags yet. I will talk to him first thing tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks” Gina replied.

As Alf began to get back to the counter, he sat back down after thinking of another question he wanted to ask.

“Gina, just out of curiosity..........what happened to Andrew?”

“A couple of months after Tony and Kate left for Broken Hill, Uncle Andrew opened up a Children’s centre in Adelaide, the biggest one in the city” Gina replied. “He was never married, and since taking care of Tony and Kate, he decided to help other kids find a home. Since becoming the guardian of Kate during her childhood, his centre has now taken in and helped over ten thousand children.”

“Wow, that’s just unbelievable” Alf said. “Listen, Gina. Thank you for telling me this story. I promise you, I will talk to Tony.”

+++++

12:00PM

“Thanks again Jack.” Warren replied. Jack had just dropped off Richard back to his brother’s apartment after Julie gave him the all clear from the hospital.

“Take it easy, Richard” Jack said.

“Thanks for everything” Richard replied. Jack turned around and headed down the stairs.

As Jack went towards his car, he turned to his left and noticed Ray with a stranger outside Ray’s Real Estate Agency. Trying to keep himself hidden, Jack quickly climbed inside and looked through the window. He saw Ray and the stranger engaged in an argument. He then noticed Ray handing the stranger a large bundle of cash. He then saw the stranger disappear into his car, whilst Ray marched angrily back into the building.

“How did he get so much money?” Jack wondered to himself. Suddenly, a thought ran into his mind. First, there was the robbery in the Surf Club and the Gym, in which the only things that were stolen was cash. The next day, his Real Estate Agency is back in business. Then, he takes Leah out to an expensive dinner venue in the city. Jack suddenly put all the clues together.

“It was Ray, I’m sure it is!” Jack whispered. “Ray was the one who robbed the Surf Club and Dad’s Gym!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Cake)

Jack shares his suspicions of Ray with Lucas.

Colleen, Irene and Leah lend their support to Charlie, with disastrous outcomes.

Alf and Martha discuss the feud between the Austins and the Holdens.

Thanks for the comments :) Glad that you all liked that chapter.

Next one. :wink:

CHAPTER 49: CAKE

It was now lunchtime. Luckily for the residents of Summer Bay, the morning rain had stopped, and now small glimmers of the sun slowly shone through the gaps of the clouds.

12:30PM

Due to the station being unusually quiet, Jack took some time out and decided to spend some time at the Surf Club with Martha.

“So how’s Richard?” Martha asked.

“Terribly heartbroken” Jack replied. “I found him this morning and took him to the hospital, then took him home. He’s resting for today.” At that moment, Jack noticed Ray walk in, heading towards the counter to order a drink from Alf.

“Jack, something wrong?”

“Sorry, Martha. I have to get back to the station” Jack quickly spoke. “I’ll see you at home.”

“er..........OK then”

“Sorry” Jack apologised as he headed out the door. After serving Ray, Alf went up towards his granddaughter.

“What’s wrong with him?” Alf asked.

“Don’t know” Martha replied. “He seems to be in a hurry for something.”

“Looks like it to me” Alf replied. “Listen, now that I’ve got you alone, I want to speak to you about something.”

“Sure” Martha replied.

“It’s about Gina.”

+++++

“Jack” Lucas called out to his brother, who was just about to enter his car.

“Luc. What are you doing here?”

“I’m just about to head off to the Gym to finish cleaning up” Lucas replied. “What are you up to?”

Jack noticed Ray leave the Surf Club, heading in the opposite direction.

“Jack, you OK?” Lucas caught the attention of his inattentive brother. “Something wrong?”

“Nothing” Jack insisted.

“I saw you staring at Ray. Is there something going on?”

“Nothing’s going on” Jack replied.

“Actually, speaking of Ray, I noticed something strange the other day” Lucas recalled. “He was on his mobile and I heard him yelling something about a deal being off and then something about doing something for Leah.”

“What?”

“Yeah I know” Lucas wondered. “Sounds strange, if you ask me.” Jack suddenly had a thought.

“Luc, listen. I know that you want to get Dad’s Gym sorted out before he comes home, but can you come with me instead?”

“um.......and why?”

“Listen, I think there’s something suspicious going on with Ray. But I need your help with something. Can you come with me?”

+++++

“Rubes, I’m fine. You don’t have to do this” Charlie told her sister, who dragged her into the Diner. As Charlie sat down, Irene and Leah came towards them.

“There’s my cue to leave” Ruby said. “Have fun.” Ruby headed outside. Irene and Leah sat down with Charlie.

“Hey love, how you’re feeling?” Irene asked sympathetically.

“Pretty stupid” Charlie responded. “And to think that I fell in love with Roman in the first place.”

“I’m sorry” Leah said. “I never knew Roman would do such a thing. But don’t worry, we’re here to help you get through this.”

“Thanks Leah, but.....”

“No buts” Irene interrupted. “Rubes asked us to help you and we intend to. Let’s start with phase one.”

“Phase one?” Charlie asked.

“Bring out the chocolate cake, Colleen” Leah yelled out. As Colleen emerged from the kitchen with a box of cake, she accidentally bumped on the edge of the counter, sending the cake flying high, then crashing flat on the ground.

“Whoops!” Colleen squealed.

“Well, there goes my cake!” Irene sighed. “Shall we go on to phase two?”

+++++

Back at the Surf Club…..

“Anyway, I promised Gina that I would talk to Tony, and hopefully make him see some sense” Alf said.

“Hugo was also upset too.” Martha commented. “This morning, he came up to my door and begged me to help him. I’ve never seen him this upset.”

“Well, you can’t blame him” Alf noted. “After all the drama that has happened.”

“It’s not only that, but it’s also due to Lucas’ continued hatred towards him.” Martha replied. “Grandad, if you can get Tony to forgive Hugo, then Hugo can stop blaming himself, and maybe that will also help Lucas realise that this whole thing was an accident.”

“Would you like to come with me to the hospital tomorrow? We can try to talk to Tony together” Alf suggested. “And, after what Gina told me, and after what you just said about Hugo’s situation, I think it would take more than just me to get through to him.”

“Agreed” Martha replied.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: All Clear)

Dr. Winston gives Brendan the all-clear to leave the hospital.

Gina mourns over her destroyed sibling relationship with Tony.

Will Lucas agree to Jack’s extraordinary plan to expose Ray?

Richard attacks Roman in the Diner, whilst Charlie and Leah go head-to-head with an arrogant boy from the local rugby team.

CHAPTER WARNING: (Small amount of) violence present in this chapter.

CHAPTER 50: ALL CLEAR

2:30PM

Gina sat on the sand along the beach when suddenly her mobile phone rang.

“Hello...............Hello Doctor Winston, is everything OK?......................what? really?........I thought he’d be there for a few more days………I’ll be on my way........thanks for letting me know. Bye.”

Placing her mobile back in her bag, Gina quickly made her way back towards the Holden House and into her car.

+++++

Irene, Colleen, Leah and Charlie were still inside the Diner. Richard, followed by Warren entered.

“Richard!” Charlie exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to get something to eat” Richard replied.

“You don’t look so good. Are you OK?” Leah asked.

“Well.....I’m getting there” Richard sighed.

“We promised Jack that he would rest, but there’s nothing much to eat at the apartment, so I decided we come here instead” Warren added.

“Fair enough. Why don’t you two sit here with us, and I will go and grab something for all of you” Leah suggested.

“Thanks Leah” Warren replied. He and Richard sat down on the table, facing Charlie, Colleen and Irene.

+++++

“Are you mad?” Lucas exclaimed.

“Please Luc, do this one favour for me” Jack replied. “I know that something’s up with Ray. I’m convinced that he was the one who thrashed Dad’s gym and the Surf Club.”

“What’s in it for me?” Lucas demanded. Jack just shone a look at him.

“Well?” Lucas questioned. Jack sighed.

“I’ll buy you McDonalds for Dinner every weekend for this month, if you do this for me?”

“If you buy an Apple Pie and Soft Serve Cone to go with it for each meal, then I’ll do it!”

“I’ll buy you five Soft Serve Cones it we are successful, OK” Jack reluctantly suggested”

“Agreed” Lucas jumped up from the car seat with a smile.

“Well that’s got you all happy again!” Jack chuckled.

“OK, so tell me again exactly what I have to do?”

“See this little device?” Jack said, handing his little brother a small electronic gadget. “All you need to do is sneak into his office and place it in a hidden spot, where he will never suspect it.”

“What is it?” Lucas asked.

“It’s a small wireless camera” Jack explained. “I can access this through the internet at work and home.”

“But isn’t that invading privacy?”

“Well.......yeah” Jack replied. “But I strongly believe that Ray is involved in some dodgy work, so I need to find out what it is.”

“Shouldn’t you tell everyone at the station about this? Even Charlie?” Lucas asked. “Are you allowed to do things like this by yourself without permission?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of them” Jack replied. “Look, don’t worry. If you get into any trouble, just signal from the window and I will come rushing in.” Lucas sighed, as he unbuckled his seat belt and got out of the car.”

“Oh, by the way, one more thing” Jack called out. “Ask for his business card. I’ll tell you why later.”

+++++

“Mum!” Brendan called out, running through the corridor and greeted Gina with a big hug.

“Hello Sweetheart” Gina replied. “All better now?”

“He’s as good as new” Dr. Winston smiled. Brendan chuckled.

“Xavie’s gonna be happy to see me!”

“I’m sure he’ll be over the moon, Hugo too” Gina replied. At that moment, Xavier and Ruby appeared at the corridor.

“Xavie!” Brendan exclaimed, rushing to his baby brother and giving him a hug.

“Hey Bandicoot!” Xavier replied.

“Ms Austin, I just need you to sign a few forms, then you’ll be all set to go” Dr. Winston informed her, handing over a clipboard and pen with a few forms.

“OK thanks” Gina replied.

After signing the papers, Gina thanked Dr. Winston again before he gave a quick wave to Brendan and disappeared along the corridor.

“OK sweetheart, why don’t I take you guys out for a meal at the Diner?” Gina suggested.

“Wait, Mum” Brendan interrupted. “Brendan wants to see Uncle Tony”

“Er....your Uncle’s resting at the moment. We can see him another time” Gina replied.

“Come on, Bandicoot. What about we get your favourite Chicken and potatoes?” Xavier suggested.

“Brendan likes that!” Brendan chuckled.

“I know you do, sweetheart” Gina replied. “Why don’t you go and wait for me in the car with Xavier and Ruby and I’ll be there in a minute.”

“OK” Brendan smiled. He, along with his brother and Ruby headed out.

Heading to the other side of the hospital, Gina looked through the door window into her brother’s room. Tony was asleep on his bed, whilst Rachel sat beside him. Gina was saddened, knowing that he was still extremely upset at her and her family.

“I’m so sorry, Tony” Gina whispered to herself. “I just wish you would understand why I did what I did - It was only so that you would focus simply on your health, and nothing else, after all the hell you’ve been through all your life.” Slowly turning around, Gina headed back to the car.

+++++

The Diner was flooded with the local rugby team, who had all come in for a meal. Charlie, Richard, Warren, Irene, Colleen and Leah were the only adults there.

3:00PM

Gina, Brendan, Ruby and Xavier entered.

“Gosh, there’s only a few spare table’s left” Gina exclaimed.

“Brendan wants to sit here!” Brendan said, pointing to a table. As they headed to the table, Ruby headed towards her sister.

“Hey, how are you?”

“We’re fine” Charlie replied. “Richard and I were just drowning our miseries with a nice glass of cola and ruined chocolate cake, and we dragged Irene, Leah and Colleen along with it.”

“And I dragged my brother into it as well” Richard added.

“Don’t worry, we’re here to help you, both of you” Colleen replied.

“Thanks” Richard replied.

At that moment, Richard and Ruby looked up and saw Roman enter. Richard suddenly got up and punched him in the face.

“THAT’S FOR TAKING MY FIANCÉ FROM ME!” Richard yelled. Charlie spun around to see Richard on top of a bleeding Roman.

“RICHARD, STOP! HE’S NOT WORTH IT” Charlie screamed. Richard ignored her comments and continued to punch Roman. All the boys in the Diner looked over and cheered with excitement.

“FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!” The boys chanted in unison.

At the other table, Brendan was starting to become agitated by the loud noise.

“Mum, make them stop!” Brendan cried, covering his ears. Gina and Xavier held onto him while watching the fight in horror.

Charlie and Warren grabbed Richard away from Roman. Warren pulled his brother outside, whilst Irene and Colleen helped Roman up. The excitement of the rugby boys suddenly turned into disappointment after the end of the fight.

“BOOOOOO!!!” the boys yelled.

“THAT’S ENOUGH. GET OUT, ALL OF YOU!” Leah yelled.

“WHAT ABOUT IF WE DON’T WANT TO?” one of the boys challenged her. Charlie got up immediately.

“DON’T YOU SPEAK TO HER LIKE THAT!” Charlie sternly replied.

“TRY AND STOP ME!” the boy replied.

“I’M A POLICE OFFICER, I CAN HAVE YOU ARRESTED, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” Charlie yelled, showing them her police badge. The boy, scared of what the young policewoman would do next quickly bolted out of the Diner. All the other boys bolted out as well.

“Thanks for that” Leah said.

“No worries” Charlie replied.

“You can’t really arrest a twelve year old boy, can you?”

“No” Charlie chuckled. “I just said that to scare him. And it worked!”

+++++

“All done?” Jack asked.

“Like clockwork” Lucas replied. “I still can’t believe Ray didn’t suspect a thing. I did as you asked. I pretended to be the friend of a client, asking for housing information. When Ray went to the kitchen, I quickly snuck into the office and placed the camera in. Luckily it was unlocked. I came back out in time before he returned.”

“Good Job” Jack smiled.

“And here’s the business card you asked for” Lucas noted. “What do you need it for?”

“It’s got Ray’s mobile number” Jack replied. “I’m going to place this number into the machine back at the station and monitor his calls.”

“Oh my goodness! We’re spying on him” Lucas giggled. “I can’t believe we’re doing this!”

“I know, it’s something we know Dad, Charlie or even Martha would never approve of!”

“We’re naughty, aren’t we?”

“Yes we are!” Jack replied. Both the boys burst out laughing.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Moving Out)

Jack and Lucas receive an ultimatum after Watson finds out about their plan.

Charlie and Ruby begin to move out of Roman’s house, but can Roman change their mind?

With Rachel and Gina’s permission, Xavier invites Jai for a sleepover at the Holden House to celebrate Brendan’s return.

Red Ranger, in this chapter you might find another good quote from Watson :D

CHAPTER 51: MOVING OUT

4:00PM

“Brendan!” Hugo exclaimed with happiness, as the excited teenager, along with Gina and Xavier arrived at the Holden House. Brendan in return greeted his older brother with a hug. Hearing the noise from the kitchen, Rachel came out and was just as surprised as Hugo to see Brendan all well and healthy.

“Great to see you again Brendan!” Rachel smiled. Brendan responded with a giggle.

“Brendan’s hungry!”

“But we just came back from the Diner” Xavier reminded him.

“Brendan’s still hungry!”

“Well I made some sandwiches on the table, come in and have some.” Rachel replied.

“Thanks” Brendan replied. “Brendan doesn’t like hospital food!” Rachel couldn’t help but giggle.

“Hey, don’t say that!” Gina spoke. “Rachel works there, remember?”

“Don’t worry about it” Rachel replied. “No patients like hospital food, not even Tony!”

As Xavier helped settle Brendan at the Dining table, Rachel, who was at the lounge, noticed a sad look on both Hugo and Gina’s faces.

“Guys, are you OK?”

“I’m fine, thanks” Hugo replied silently.

“I don’t think so” Rachel replied with concern. “What’s wrong?”

“I just can’t believe that tomorrow will be our last time here” Gina sadly replied. “Tony is expected to leave the hospital soon, and he has made it very clear to us that we aren’t welcome here.” Noticing that Gina was close to tears, Rachel pulled her into a hug while Hugo patted her back.

“I’m so sorry it had come to this” Rachel said. “I tried my hardest today to convince him to forgive and forget, but he wouldn’t listen to me.”

“Thanks anyway” Hugo replied.

“Have you found a place to stay?” Rachel asked. Gina shook her head.

“No, we couldn’t find a place that we can afford to rent, even if Hugo and I combined our wages, and Jeremy took over Tony and Kate’s old house in Broken Hill after the kids and I moved here. We have no choice but to return to Mum’s house in Alice Springs”

“Does Xavier and Brendan know about this?” Rachel asked.

“We were thinking of telling them tonight” Gina replied. “Poor Xavier, he only just started making friends with boys and girls his age, and you can easily tell that he is fond of Ruby. As for Brendan, it will be exceptionally hard for him, as he doesn’t respond well to change. He and Tony have a great uncle/nephew bond, ever since we were all living together in Broken Hill.”

Suddenly, Xavier called out from the Dining room.

“Guys, I have a great idea. Why don’t we invite Annie, Jai and Ruby for a sleepover tonight to celebrate Brendan’s return?” Gina and Hugo looked at Xavier, shocked at the idea.

“I don’t know if it’s a good idea” Hugo replied. “Besides, this is Uncle Tony and Aunt Rachel’s house.”

“I think it’s a great idea” Rachel replied. “It’s fine, you can invite your friends here tonight.”

“Thanks!” Xavier squealed with excitement. “Did you hear that Bandicoot? We’re getting a sleepover party!”

“Brendan’s having a sleepover party!” Brendan cheered.

As the boys head out to Xavier’s room to make phone calls, Gina, Hugo and Rachel took seats in the living room.

“Rach, are you sure about this?” Gina asked.

“It’s fine. Besides it’s great for Xavier and Brendan to have friends around them.”

“Even though it may be the last time they see them.” Gina sighed.

“I know” Rachel softly replied. “I’m so sorry.”

+++++

Darkness covered the small town of beautiful Summer Bay.

Roman was in his house, lying on the couch in pain. An IcePack rested on his head, trying to reduce the swelling redness, caused by his earlier altercation with Richard. Hearing the door knock, Roman slowly got up and opened the door.

“Charlie!” Roman said, shocked. “I was worried about you. You didn’t come to the bed last night and this morning I woke up and you were gone.”

“That’s because I slept on the couch” Charlie replied. “And it doesn’t matter now. Rubes and I are just going to pack our things.”

“Pack your things?”

“Leah’s offered me a place to stay at her house, and Irene allowed Ruby to stay with her so she can be with Annie” Charlie replied.

“Charlie, please don’t……..” Roman was interrupted by Ruby.

“Save it, Roman. You had your chance, you blew it. It’s over between you and my sister. We’re moving out, tonight!”

“Rubes, can you go upstairs and start packing your stuff? I wanna speak to Roman alone”

As Ruby went upstairs, Charlie sat down on the chair, facing Roman.

“Why, Roman?” Charlie asked. “Why did you do this?”

“Charlie, I’m sorry” Roman replied. “It was a mistake. It won’t happen again.”

“And I’m supposed to believe you?”

“I’m sorry” Roman apologised again. Charlie was now annoyed.

“I can’t believe you” Charlie continued. “Remember last year when you had an affair with Richard’s sister, Frances? You told me that you would change your ways and stay committed to our relationship, and Richard and Warren gave you the benefit of the doubt and believed you. But now, not only did you upset Richard, again, but you upset me, because I was so stupid to believe you.”

Roman was now starting to get angry himself.

“You’re really unbelievable, you know that?” Charlie yelled. “You wouldn’t even know the meaning of the word commitment if it bit you in the head!” Roman suddenly snapped.

“OK, YOU KNOW WHAT, CHARLIE? I’VE HAD ENOUGH! I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU TELLING ME HOW MESSED UP I AM, AND IT’S OBVIOUS THAT ANY AMOUNT OF APOLOGIZING IS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU. YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH? TINA WAS THERE FOR ME ALL THE TIME. SHE DID NOT PUT WORK AHEAD OF COMMITMENT!”

“I told you, Roman. That night, I couldn’t come home early for you” Charlie replied. “I had to find Kent and Tony.”

“THEN WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE OTHER NIGHTS?” Roman argued. “IT’S LIKE YOU’RE OUT ALL THE TIME AND WE NEVER SEE EACH OTHER ANYMORE!”

“I’M A POLICE OFFICER” Charlie yelled. “I HAVE TO WORK LATE ON SOME NIGHTS. JUST BECAUSE I GET HOME LATE ON SOME NIGHTS, DOESN’T MEAN THAT WE CAN’T HAVE A RELATIONSHIP!” At that point, Roman was now furious.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU! WHAT’S THE POINT OF US HAVING A RELATIONSHIP IF EVERYTHING HAS TO BE DONE YOUR WAY WITH YOUR RULES? TINA WAS COMMITTED AND LOVING TOWARDS ME. SHE WASN’T PATHETIC, LIKE YOU” Charlie was stunned at what Roman just called her. Roman suddenly gasped, realising his mistake.

“My God, Charlie I’m so sorry, I never meant to call you that. I’m……” Roman saw Charlie run up the stairs halfway through his sentence. Returning to the couch, he buried his head behind a pillow, weeping silently.

+++++

“HOW CAN YOU TWO BE STUPID?” Watson yelled, furious at both Jack and Lucas. “NOT ONLY, JACK, DID YOU GET YOUR BROTHER, A MINOR INVOLVED, BUT ALSO YOU’RE ACCUSING A BUSINESSMAN OF THEFT, WITHOUT SOLID EVIDENCE!!”

“Please, I told you this because I thought you of all people would understand” Jack tried to calm the officer down. Watson looked at her watch.

“It is 7pm. It is STILL my Birthday. Why do I need to hear this?” Watson argued. Lucas giggled.

“WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING AT, MR CRAZY HOLDEN No.2?” Watson growled. “YOU AND YOUR BROTHER, MR CRAZY HOLDEN No.1 WILL BE IN BIG TROUBLE WHEN CHARLIE FINDS OUT!”

“But I’m absolutely certain that Ray was responsible for the robberies” Jack replied.

“AND YOUR ACCUSATIONS ARE BASED ON WHAT, MAY I ASK?”

“er……..my thoughts and instincts” Jack gave a weak, uneasy laugh. At that moment, Watson rolled her eyes and slapped Jack in the face, before walking away.

“Ouch!” Lucas whispered.

+++++

8:00PM

Roman stood up as he heard Charlie and Ruby coming down the stairs with bags and suitcases.

“Please guys, Don’t leave”

“I’m sorry, Roman, but that’s it! There’s just no place for us here” Charlie replied.

“Please, Charlie, can’t we just work things out?” Roman pleaded.

“It’s too late. You’ve hurt me enough to even want to work things out. It’s over” Charlie cried. At that moment, Roman ran over, kneeling in front of her and holding her hands, only to be greeted in return from a slap from Ruby. Roman fell on the ground, holding his hands in his face in pain.

“You’re just awful, how can you do such a thing?” Ruby yelled. Charlie made a motion to her sister to stop. Looking up from the ground, with a red, swollen cheek and tears in his eyes, Roman began to tremble in his voice.

“Is this the end of us?”

“I’m sorry, but there will never be a relationship between us, ever again. Goodbye, Roman.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: All the Evidence)

Xavier worries about Hugo. Will Hugo tell his brothers that they must leave Summer Bay?

Charlie discovers Jack’s plan and Watson begins to have second thoughts. Will they believe him?

What job does Martha have in store for the teens?

Archived