My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

CHAPTER 52: ALL THE EVIDENCE

At the Holden House, Gina and Rachel were already asleep. However in the annexe part of the house, the sleepover party was far from over, as the kids were entertaining themselves with a Nintendo game.

9:30PM

“Brendan wants to be Yoshi” Brendan demanded childishly.

“OK you can be Yoshi” Jai finally gave in to Brendan’s demands. “I’ll play as Mario. What about you Xavier?”

“Er…guys, I think I’ll sit out of this round. I’ll join in the next round” Xavier replied.

“OK then. Brendan, looks like it’s just you and me. Let the race begin!”

Xavier got up and sat next to Hugo at the back of the room.

“You don’t look very good. What’s up?” Xavier asked.

“Nothing” Hugo replied. “Mum asked me to supervise you guys, and that’s what I’m doing, aren’t I? Besides it’s now 9:30PM. I thought you invited Annie and Ruby.”

“Ruby rang and said she couldn’t come, because of something going on with her sister and Roman. Annie couldn’t come either because she’s helping Geoff, Miles and Alf with some things in the Caravan Park.”

“I see” Hugo noted. “So how are things with you and Ruby?”

“She’s amazing” Xavier smiled. “We started off as a cheeky duo, remember the poker game?” Hugo chuckled.

“I remember.”

“Then there was the argument at the Diner, but ever since then we became stronger friends than ever and I mean……I like her…….I like her a lot.”

“So is Ruby your official girlfriend?” Hugo asked. Xavier began to blush.

“Neither of us have admitted it to each other, but just between us, I think she’s the one, Hugo.” At that moment, Xavier was interrupted by some jeering noises.

“Brendan wins!” Brendan cheered with excitement.

“I think you cheated!” Jai protested. “Anyway doesn’t matter, I’ll get you in the next round. Xavier, come on, the third controller’s waiting for you.”

“Coming” Xavier called out. “Are you sure you’re OK Hugo?”

“I’m fine” Hugo smiled. “Now go on, your character, Princess Peach is waiting for you!”

“Stop it!” Xavier chuckled. “Brendan chose my character!”

As Xavier and the boys challenged each other in front of the television set, Hugo continued to keep a watch on them from behind. Hearing the laughter and joy of the trio, he let a tear slip down his cheek. He knew that from the end of tomorrow, Xavier and Brendan’s happiness would come to an end as Gina has already made final preparations for the flight back to Alice Springs. Hugo knew that the only thing left was hope that Tony will change his mind and forgive his family.

+++++

The next morning was a massive change for the Summer Bay residents, compared to the day before. Temperatures peaked 32 degrees Celsius.

8:00AM

Brendan, Jai and Xavier were seated opposite the pool table at the Surf Club.

“Brendan wants to play pool!”

“I know, Bandicoot, but we have to do Martha’s job first. We can play pool another time” Xavier replied.

“But Brendan wants to play now!” Brendan demanded.

“Yes, I know. Listen, if you’re good, then perhaps after we finish the job, we can all have a game of pool, OK?” Brendan nodded, understanding what his younger brother had said.

Annie and Ruby entered the Bar and went towards the boys.

“Hey guys” Annie called out. “We’re here, so where’s Martha?” At that moment, Martha emerged from the Gym.

“Hey guys, glad you can make it. Come on in.”

+++++

“Unbelievable!” Charlie exclaimed. “Since when did Jack get permission to do this?”

“Come on Charlie, we know Jack well enough” Watson replied. “When no one notices, he just does his own things”

“Well, I can tell you that he’s certainly gonna get a lecture from me when he turns up, if he turns up to work today!” Charlie added. “So what’s this?”

“It’s Ray’s business card” Watson added. “Jack placed his number on the machine, so that he can record all of Ray’s mobile calls.”

“You’re kidding me!” Charlie exclaimed. “Well what’s he recorded so far?”

“See for yourself, I haven’t listened to it either.”

Entering the office, Charlie pressed a range of buttons on the recording machine. Finding Ray’s number, Charlie began to play the recorded messages. The first two messages were personal family related conversations, but the third message was the one that caught their attention.

“Listen” Charlie said.

RAY: “Hello?”

MAN:”Don’t mess around with me Ray. Where’s the money?”

RAY: “I gave you the money”

MAN: “Don’t lie to me. I know that you hid some of the stolen cash. You told me that you were going to give me all the money you stole from the Surf Club and the Gym, in exchange for me allowing you to reopen your real estate agency.

RAY: “How did you find out?”

MAN: “Doesn’t matter how I found out. The point is, you lied to me. You didn’t give me all the money you stole. That was not part of the deal. I’m trying to run my own company here. What did you do with the rest of the cash?”

RAY: “I don’t have it.”

MAN: “It’s that new girlfriend of yours , isn’t it? My private detectives followed you two around without you knowing.

RAY: “Excuse me?”

MAN: “We have pictures of you and the girlfriend at that buffet in the city, as well as that orchestra concert. You’ve been spending the money on her, haven’t you? I’m warning you, Ray. You better pay up, or else you and your girlfriend will suffer the consequences”

BEEP…….BEEP……..BEEP……..

Charlie and Watson stood in shock after hearing the message. At that moment, Jack walked in.

“So now do you believe me?” Jack asked. “I stayed here late last night to record that.”

“Wow……it’s unbelievable” Watson commented.

“And here…..” Jack continued, handing Charlie a couple of printed sheets. “I printed these pictures on the Internet from the camera that Lucas hid in his office. It shows Ray with a bag of cash hidden in his lockable filing cabinet”

“I think that’s all the evidence we need to request for a search warrant” Charlie said.

“Anyway, I stopped by at the Diner this morning” Jack said. “Apparently Leah said that she’s going out with him for lunch today.” Upon hearing this, Charlie stood still and silent, remembering exactly what she heard in the recorded message.

“Are you OK?” Jack asked.

“I’m fine” Charlie replied. But in her mind, she couldn’t stop thinking about what might happen to Leah.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Not Fair)

Brendan goes missing when Martha takes the teens out for breakfast at the Diner.

Gina and Hugo discover that Tony will be leaving the hospital earlier than expected.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 53: NOT FAIR

8:05AM

“Thanks for coming” Martha said to the teenagers, who were eager to know what job they need to do.

“So what can we do?” Jai asked.

“I was hoping that you guys can give me a hand with some finishing touches here in the Gym” Martha replied. “I know its short notice, but Lucas had to go out this morning to do some work with Mr. Bartlett, and as you may know, Tony will be home soon, so I’m hoping to get this Gym clean for him as quickly as possible.”

“Sure, Martha. We can help you, can’t we guys?” Xavier asked. Everyone nodded in agreement.

“By the way, just before we start, I thought I’d shout you guys some breekfast in the Diner. Interested?”

“Wow, Martha. Thanks” Ruby exclaimed.

“Let’s go guys” Martha said, as she left the Gym, followed by the teens.

+++++

“Tony” Julie called, waking him up as she entered his hospital room. “I’ve got some good news.”

“What news?” Tony asked.

“The scans and test results show that you’re all clear to go”

“I know” Tony replied. “Rachel told me when she was here yesterday. I can leave tomorrow night, right?” Julie looked confused.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think you know what I mean?”

“Well, what do you mean?” Tony asked.

“I mean, that the tests were all positive, I showed it to the other doctors and they said you can leave earlier.” Tony was surprised at what Julie had said.

“Wow…..er…….how soon?”

“As early as tonight” Julie smiled.

“Really?” Tony smiled in excitement. “Thanks Julie. I just can’t wait to get home.”

“We’ll miss you though” Julie joked. “You’ve been the hospital’s bravest and favourite patient”

“Don’t worry, I’ll visit” Tony chuckled. “Hopefully not as a patient though!”

+++++

8:15AM

“Hi Irene, can I get six breakfast meals please” Martha asked politely.

“Six?” Irene questioned. “Gee, one of you must be very hungry.”

“What do you mean?”

“You ordered six, and there are only five of you.” Irene replied. Xavier looked around and noticed that Brendan was missing.

“Hey guys, where’s Brendan?” Xavier asked. “He’s not here”

Running back to the Surf Club, Annie, Jai, Ruby, Xavier and Martha went into the adjoining Gym and stood shocked.

“Oh My God!” Martha gasped. Everyone was surprised to see Brendan straightening the loose papers in the desk and organising the pens inside the drawer.

“Wow, Brendan. Good Job, mate!” Jai smiled.

“Looks like we’ll be finishing sooner than expected” Martha commented.

+++++

At the Holden House, Gina, Hugo and Rachel were seated at the Dining table having breakfast.

“I guess we’re gonna have to tell the boys that we have to leave tonight” Gina sighed. “If Tony’s coming home tomorrow, we can’t stay here another night.”

“I’m so sorry it’s come to this” Rachel sadly replied.

“Thanks for letting us stay here” Hugo replied. “We appreciate everything you’ve done for all of us” Hugo replied.

“You’re most welcome” Rachel replied. The sound of the telephone interrupted them. Deciding not to get up, Rachel left the phone to the answering machine.

“Hey Rach, it’s Julie. I just wanted to let you know that Tony’s leaving the hospital tonight, instead of tomorrow night. I got some test results and it shows that he’s well enough now to leave one day earlier. Call me when you get this message. Bye”

Gina was surprised and shocked after hearing the message. Picking up her bag, she headed towards the door.

“Mum, where are you going?” Hugo asked.

“I have to go and get Brendan and Xavier” Gina replied. “In the meantime, you can start packing your things, and get all our suitcases ready. I’ll be back soon, so we can explain everything to the boys.”

+++++

8:30AM

“Not too far to go. You’re doing a great job, guys!” Martha commented. “Especially Brendan, our strong hard worker here.”

“Brendan’s a hard worker!” Brendan giggled.

“You sure are, Bandicoot!” Xavier smiled. At that moment, Gina hastily entered.

“Xavier, Brendan, I need a word with you guys” Xavier and Brendan stopped and headed over towards their mother.

“Mum, what’s up?” Xavier asked.

“Come, I’ll explain in the car” Gina replied. “Sorry Martha, but my boys have to go. It’s urgent.”

+++++

Alf was at the Diner, reading the newspaper. Irene came over towards him with a plate of food.

“Here you go, love” Irene said, placing the plate on the table.

“Thanks” Alf replied.

“Anyway, Alf” Irene continued. “Aren’t you meant to be at the Surf Club? I thought you’d be excited, now you’re back in business.”

“A couple of my mate’s are filling in for me today” Alf replied.

“Why, what’s going on?”

“I’m helping Miles with some work in the Caravan Park, then Martha and I are going to visit Tony.”

“Send him all our best wishes” Irene requested.

“I will” Alf replied. “So what have you got planned today?”

“It’s just the usual flippin’ busy day” Irene sighed. “Roman’s not here, Leah’s going out with her boyfriend Ray for lunch and I have no idea where Colleen is!”

“Yoo Hoo, only me!” Colleen called out as she entered.

“Great, here we go” Irene murmured. “See you later, Alf.”

+++++

9:00AM

“It’s not fair!” Xavier cried, whilst at the same time trying his best to console his upset brother, Brendan. All were seated in the living room of the Holden House, along with Gina, Hugo and Rachel.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart” Gina replied. “I had tickets for us to go back to Alice Springs tomorrow, but since we’re leaving now, instead of tonight, I rang up the airport and we’ve got tickets for tonight’s flight. I’ve already booked it, and Hugo’s already packed most of our stuff.”

“I don’t understand. How can Uncle Tony do this to us? To all of us?” Xavier cried. “I thought he loved us”

“He loves us all” Hugo reassured his upset brothers. “But ever since Kent came here, Uncle Tony has changed. I don’t blame him at all for reacting the way he has. I just think that us moving to Alice Springs is the best thing for everyone right now.”

At those words, Xavier got up off the couch and left the room, leaving Brendan upset with the others.

+++++

9:05AM

“Almost done, guys” Martha said to Jai, Annie and Ruby, who were almost exhausted. At that moment, Ruby’s mobile rang.

“Hello?..........................Xavier…….hang on, slow down. What’s wrong?..............WHAT?..............OH MY GOD!.........WHEN?................TONIGHT?..........................But……it can’t be!

Martha, overhearing the conversation, began to worry.

“Rubes, what’s wrong?”

“That was Xavier” Ruby replied, still shocked. “His family had an argument with Tony, and apparently he’s asked all of them to leave his house. They’re leaving for Alice Springs. TONIGHT!”

“WHAT?” Martha gasped. “Er…….guys. I think we’ve done enough for now. Off you go.”

As Annie, Jai and Ruby left the Gym, Martha grabbed her mobile phone and began to dial.

“Grandad, it’s me. Forget helping Miles for now, we have to go and see Tony. It’s urgent. I’ll meet you there.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Last Chance)

Martha lashes out at Tony, accusing him of being unforgiving and hostile towards the Austins.

Gina is confronted by someone while waiting at the airport. Who can it be?

Leah and Ray attend their lunch date.

CHAPTER 54: LAST CHANCE

At the school, Lucas and Martin were in Martin’s office.

9:15AM

“All done. Thanks for helping me sort these files, Luc” Martin smiled. “Sorry that I’ve taken some time from your holidays.”

“No worries” Lucas replied. “Besides, it was a nice distraction from after everything that’s happened with Dad.” Martin placed his hand on his shoulder.

“I understand mate” Martin replied. “Give your father my best wishes, and if you need to take some time out with your family when the next school term begins, feel free to do so.”

“Thanks Sir” Lucas replied. He then noticed Martin place his hand on his forehead.

“You OK, Sir?”

“Oh I’m fine” Martin replied. “Only a small headache. Hopefully it will be gone by the time I get to the airport tonight.”

“Oh that’s right, you’re heading to Darwin for a week or so.”

“Yeah” Martin said. “Just for a small break before the school term starts.” Lucas checked his watch.

“Well, I better head back” Lucas said. “Hope you have a great time in Darwin.”

“Thanks” Martin replied with a smile.

+++++

9:30AM

“Hey Martha” Tony greeted his daughter-in-law, who had just entered his room. Martha, however was not cheerful, instead, slamming the door behind her.

“Do you know what you’ve just done?” Martha angrily spoke.

“Excuse me?”

“Gina and the boys are going back to Alice Springs today, and they’re probably not coming back ever again, because you can’t simply get your act together and forgive them.”

“Martha, they kept mum’s death a secret from me” Tony argued. “I have a right to be angry at them. As for going to Alice Springs, well, that’s their choice, not mine.”

“NO, TONY” Martha replied. “IT WAS NOT THEIR CHOICE! IT WAS YOURS.” Tony began to get angry.

“I’M SORRY, BUT WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO COME IN HERE AND ARGUE WITH ME?”

“GINA AND HUGO KEPT YOUR MUM’S DEATH A SECRET, SO THAT YOU WOULDN’T BE HURT ANYMORE, DON’T YOU GET THAT?” Martha shouted. “I know it’s not the best thing to do, but after all that’s happened with your father and everything, all we ever wanted was for you to be well again. They were going to tell you eventually, but after you get better. I thought you, of all the people in Summer Bay would know the most about forgiving and giving people a second chance. Maybe you’re not the sweet, loving father-in-law I once thought you were.”

Finishing her argument, Martha stormed out of the room and into the corridor, only to be greeted by her grandfather, who was sitting there.

“Hey Martha” Alf said. “How is he?”

“He’s all yours, Grandad” Martha angrily replied. “I can’t help him anymore!” Alf looked on as Martha stormed out of the hospital.

Meanwhile, Tony was still dazzled after Martha’s sudden outbursts. He then suddenly thought about the way he treated his sister and her family.

“Oh my God!” Tony gasped. “What have I done?”

+++++

The sound of two short beeps from the waiting Taxi were heard outside the Holden House. Brendan, Hugo and Xavier were outside loading the bags, while Annie, Jai and Ruby looked on.

Gina and Rachel were on the porch. Exchanging hugs, both were in tears.

“Are you sure you have to leave now?” Rachel asked.

“You heard the message” Gina responded. “Tony’s coming back tonight, maybe even earlier. The flight’s not until tonight, but it doesn’t matter, we’ll just spend the day at the airport. Thank you for everything. Tell Tony that despite everything that’s happened, we still love him, very much.”

“I will” Rachel replied. “Take care of yourself.”

“I can’t believe that’s it!” Ruby exclaimed.

“I know” Xavier replied. “I thought we would all be friends for a long time, maybe forever.”

“We’ll miss you, all of us” Annie cried.

“It was nice knowing you all” Xavier said. “Rubes. Before I go, there’s something I thought you should know. I didn’t want to say it, because I was scared and everything, but…….”

“Just say it!” Ruby replied.

“I love you” Xavier blurted out. Ruby, shocked at what she just heard began to cry.

“I love you too”

+++++

10:00AM

Alf walked in to the hospital room and saw Tony out of his bed and packing his bags.

“Whoa, slow down mate, what are you doing?”

“I have to go!” Tony replied.

“Hang on, are you sure you’re allowed to be out of bed?” Alf asked. Tony stopped and stared at him.

“I’m due to leave tonight anyway, does it really matter if I leave now?”

“I tried my best to convince him otherwise” Julie said, as she entered the room with the discharge papers. “But in the end its Tony’s decision if he wants to leave, despite that I think he should be resting.”

“Julie, where’s the discharge papers?” Tony hastily asked.

“Here” Julie replied. Tony quickly signed the papers and handed them back to the nurse.

“But Tony, are you sure.........” Alf was interrupted.

“No time for questions Alf” Tony spoke. “Take me to the Airport.”

“Airport? But........”

“NOW!”

+++++

10:30AM

“Sorry Irene, I have to go now” Leah said, as she took off her apron and grabbed her bag.

“OK love” Irene replied. “So, where’s Ray taking you?” Leah hesitated.

“er.......OK, to tell you the truth Irene, we’re having lunch at his real estate agency.”

“WHAT?”

“I know, it’s not the ideal spot, but the best part is that Ray closed the building to everyone, so it’s just the two of us.”

“Well, I supposed that’s great in a way” Irene commented. “As long as you guys have fun”

“Thanks Irene” Leah smiled. “Bye”

“Bye, love.”

+++++

It was now noon. At the airport, Gina, and Hugo were seated at the lounge.

12:00PM

“Xavier should be back with Brendan soon” Hugo said.

“Don’t worry too much about them now” Gina replied. “They’re at the souvenir shop. It’s the only thing at the moment that can keep Brendan happy.” Anyway Hugo, just stay here and wait for them and I’ll just check in our bags.”

As Gina made her way over to the check-in, she accidentally bumped her trolley into a step, sending one of her bags to the floor. Bending down to pick it up, Gina saw someone’s hand grabbing hold of the bag. Looking up, Gina was in shock to see that the person holding it was no other than her baby brother.

“Tony?” Gina exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“Please.........please don’t leave” Tony pleaded. “I forgive you. Please forgive me.” Gina, seeing the sad, remorseful face of her baby brother suddenly leapt with joy and hugged him tightly.”

“I’m so sorry” Tony sobbed on her shoulder.

“It’s all OK now” Gina calmly replied. “I’m just glad you’re back with us”

Loading the bag back onto the trolley, Tony felt someone grab him from behind. Brendan, followed by Hugo and Xavier gave their uncle a group hug.

“Brendan loves Uncle Tony!” Brendan spurted out. Everyone started to laugh at each other, even Alf, who was watching the happy family from a distance.

“Hey Alf, come over here” Tony called out. Alf walked over to them.

“What can I do for you lot?” Alf asked.

“Take the bags, as well as the Boys back to my house”

“What about you two?”

“Gina and I are gonna catch a taxi back.” Tony replied. “There’s so much to talk about.”

“Whatever you say, boss!” Alf chuckled.

“You don’t have to call me that” Tony laughed.

+++++

“Wow, Ray” Leah stood surprised at the foyer of the Agency. “You didn’t have to do all this for me!”

“But I wanted to” Ray cheerfully replied. In front of them lay a rug, with a basket of fish and chips, two glasses and a bottle of champagne.

“And you closed the entire building just for me, how sweet!” Leah chuckled.

“Anything for you” Ray smiled. “So, shall we start?”

“Gladly” Leah replied.

+++++

“We’re in luck!” Jack shouted across the room to Charlie and Watson.

“Excuse me?” Charlie asked.

“I’ve just come back from the courthouse and the magistrate has issued to us the search warrant for Ray’s agency” Jack replied.

“Wow, that was quick” Watson commented.

“OK then, off we go” Charlie replied.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Home Again)

Tony is reminded that he is loved and supported by everyone.

Charlie, Jack and Watson close in on Ray.

After discovering Roman’s past involvement with the SAS, Warren pushes him to leave the Bay.

CHAPTER 55: HOME AGAIN

1:00PM

After hearing a knock on the door, Roman got up off the couch to answer it.

“Hey” Warren greeted him.

“What do you want?” Roman demanded.

“Take it easy, I’m just here to apologise on behalf of my baby brother” Warren replied. “Can I come in?”

Roman nodded. Warren walked in.

As Warren made his way to the couch, he noticed a picture frame of Roman and his army mates.

“So, you used to be in the SAS?” Warren questioned. Roman looked puzzled.

“Don’t tell me you just came here to discuss my time in the SAS. Why are you here anyway?”

“I’m just here to make sure you’re OK” Warren replied. “Despite that I understand Richard’s point of view, it’s still doesn’t give him the right to beat you up. I do understand where you’re coming from, we all make mistakes.”

“Really?” Roman asked. Warren smiled.

“Really. I’ll take care of Richard. You’ve got nothing to worry about.”

Trying to change the topic, Warren decided to return to the subject of the SAS.

“So tell me, Roman. How was work in the SAS?” Warren asked. Roman chuckled.

“It was fun. I had some great mates. Sometimes, I wonder.......”

“Wonder what?” Warren asked.

“I wonder if leaving the SAS was the best decision” Roman replied. “When I look at that picture, I always think about the fun I had there.”

“Are you thinking about going back to the SAS?”

“I don’t know” Roman replied. “I love Summer Bay, but all that I do is cook, day to day at the Diner. There is no challenge or fun to be honest. There’s no adventure, it’s just the same thing every day.”

“Well, maybe you should go back to the SAS” Warren suggested. “If I were you, I’d think about what I really want, and then I would go for it, no questions!”

“I think I have to think this through” Roman replied. At that moment, Warren’s mobile rang.

“Hello.................hey mate, you’re meant to be resting...............OK I’m on my way....bye”

“Sorry, got to go Roman, Richard needs me.” Warren said, heading towards the door. “Take it easy”

“I will” Roman replied. “Hey Warren.........thanks for coming, you’ve cheered me up”

“No worries, mate” Warren smiled.

Heading back to his car, Warren whispered silently to himself.

“You better leave, Roman. After what you did to my brother and sister, or else, you’ll have me to deal with, and I guarantee to you, Roman, you will not like me when I’m mad!”

+++++

1:30PM

“That was lovely” Leah commented about the elegant food that she and Ray have just eaten.

“Anything for you” Ray replied. Grabbing a serviette, Leah accidently knocked over her wine glass, toppling it, along with the contents onto the floor.

“Oh my God! Sorry” Leah gasped. “I should get that”

“Here, let me get that” Ray requested. As they both leaned down to pick it up, Leah felt Ray’s hand on top of hers over the wine glass. Looking up to each other, neither could resist temptation.

As the two leaned forward to kiss, a crash sound was heard from the front door.

“POLICE, DON’T MOVE!” Jack yelled. Leah and Ray looked up in horror to see Jack, Charlie and Watson standing over them, guns pointed in Ray’s direction.

“WHAT’S GOING ON?” Leah screamed.

“Ray Henderson, you’re under arrest for Robbery” Jack informed.

“WHAT? ROBBERY?” Leah questioned. “RAY, TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON”

“WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?” Ray yelled at the cops.

“WE HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT FOR THIS BUILDING” Jack replied, heading towards his office.

“YOU CAN’T JUST BARGE IN HERE, THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY!”

“TRY AND STOP US!” Watson replied. Jack and Charlie rammed through the locked door, kicking it open. A few moments later, the pair walked out with a sack of money.

“You asked for proof, well here it is” Charlie replied, showing Ray and Leah the bag. Ray laughed at them.

“You’re all so stupid. That doesn’t prove that it was from the gym and the bar. It’s just my own money.”

“Should we play the tape?” Jack asked. Watson nodded, pulling a tape player out of her pocket and pressing play.

MAN:”Don’t mess around with me Ray. Where’s the money?”

RAY: “I gave you the money”

MAN: “Don’t lie to me. I know that you hid some of the stolen cash. You told me that you were going to give me all the money you stole from the Surf Club and the Gym, in exchange for me allowing you to reopen your real estate agency.

RAY: “How did you find out?”

MAN: “Doesn’t matter how I found out. The point is, you lied to me. You didn’t give me all the money you stole. That was not part of the deal. I’m trying to run my own company here. What did you do with the rest of the cash?”

“Need I play anymore?” Watson asked.

“Oh my God!” Leah exclaimed. “You robbed the Surf Club...............and Tony’s gym?

“Listen Leah, I.......” Ray was interrupted with a slap on the face from Leah.

“HOW COULD YOU!” Leah shrieked. “I CAN’T BELIEVE I EVEN WENT OUT WITH SOMEONE LIKE YOU!”

“I did it for my business, and for you!” Ray replied.

“HOW DARE YOU!” Leah scowled. “JACK, HE’S ALL YOURS. I NEVER WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN!”

Charlie accompanied Leah outside, while Jack and Watson handcuffed Ray and led him to the police car.

+++++

At the Holden House:

2:30PM

“How did it go?” Lucas asked his big brother.

“All great” Jack replied. “Ray’s finally behind bars. Here’s your soft serve cone!”

“Yay!” Lucas exclaimed.

“Guys, were home!” Gina yelled out from the door. Rachel, Alf, Martha, Brendan and Hugo emerged from the kitchen, whilst Jack and Lucas turned around to see Gina enter the door with Tony following behind her. Everyone jeered and clapped their hands.

“Thanks guys!” Tony smiled. Rachel went up to her fiancé, giving him a kiss.

“OK guys, get a room!” Alf called out. Everyone laughed at his comment.

“So glad that you’re back Dad. We love you!” Lucas exclaimed, giving him a big hug, followed by Jack.

“Thanks, boys” Tony replied.

“Come, Dad” Jack spoke. “Rachel and Alf prepared some food in the backyard for all of us”

“I’ll join you guys in a minute. I first just need to speak to Alf and your wife.”

“Sure” Jack replied.

A few minutes later.

“Thanks for showing me some sense” Tony said. Alf and Martha were sitting beside him on the couch while the others were outside.

“I should apologise” Martha replied. “I shouldn’t have had a go at you this morning”

“It’s OK” Tony replied. “I just want to thank you guys for.........for.....” Alf noticed Tony choking up.

“You OK?” Alf asked.

“I’m so sorry” Tony sobbed. “After everything that’s happened, you guys stood by, helping my sister and her family, and I was stupid enough to yell at her and throw her out of my life!”

“Shh, it’s OK” Martha whispered, putting her arm around her father-in-law. “You did the right thing in the end.”

“Listen, mate, we don’t blame you for anything that’s happened” Alf spoke. “I want you to understand that everyone in Summer Bay loves you and is there for you. You’re like a son to me and I promise you, you’ll never be alone, no matter what happens, and Rachel will always support you all the way.”

“Thanks.............thank you for everything.” Tony cried. Alf and Martha hugged him tightly.

Meanwhile, at the Backyard:

“I hope Alf, Martha and Tony hurry, the food will get cold” Rachel noted.

“Don’t worry about them, they’re fine” Jack replied. I’m more worried about those two.” Rachel looked over and saw Lucas and Hugo on the opposite ends of the yard.

“They’re still not talking to each other” Rachel asked.

“Unfortunately not” Jack replied.

Gina was preparing the table, when her son came up towards her.

“Mum, where’s Xavie?” Brendan asked.

“He won’t be too long, sweetheart” Gina smiled.

+++++

Ruby sat down at the beach, clearly upset at the events which unfolded earlier. She was suddenly interrupted when she heard someone call out her name.

“Ruby!” Xavier yelled, running towards her. Ruby, shocked, got up and ran towards him.

“Uncle Tony’s changed his mind. We’re not leaving!”

“Really!” Ruby squealed. The pair hugged each other.

“I love you!” Xavier smiled.

“I’ve love you too!” Ruby replied. The pair leaned forward to share a kiss.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Blind Date Dance)

Leah turns to Hugo for comfort.

Roman makes a decision about his future.

Following Tony’s advice, Gina takes some time out for herself.

CHAPTER 56: BLIND DATE DANCE

Evening came again over Summer Bay. Gina was in her bedroom at the Holden house, unpacking her luggage.

8:00PM

“Please Gina, let me help you unpack” Tony offered. “It’s the least I can do”

“You don’t have to” Gina replied. “Besides, you should go to bed early. Alf said that Irene is throwing a party at her house for you, so you need to be completely well enough to go there.”

“But it’s Luc’s party, not mine” Tony replied, confused.

“Yeah, I know. The party’s for Lucas, but Alf said it’s for you too” Gina smiled. “For coming back to us safely”

“Aww.....well that’s nice of him and Irene” Tony smiled. “Anyway, leave the packing for another time. You’ve had a long day today. Why don’t you go down to the Yabbie Creek Bar or something and have some time for yourself?”

“But what about the boys?”

“Don’t worry about them, they’re having a good time with their friends” Tony replied. At that moment, Rachel came from the open door behind them.

“Come on Tony. Bedtime” Rachel said.

“But it’s only 8:00pm.”

“I know, I know, but you left the hospital early, so now you need to make up for it by getting some rest, and I’m not saying this as a doctor, but as your soon to be wife.”

Meanwhile, at the annexe end of the house, Xavier was allowed to invite his friends for another sleepover. He, along with Brendan and Jai were playing on the Nintendo, whilst Annie and Ruby sat at the back of the room, chatting to each other.

“Come on Bandicoot, let’s play something else” Xavier suggested “We’ve played ‘Mario Kart’ all afternoon and you’ve won pretty much all of the races.

“Brendan wants to keep playing Nintendo!” Brendan replied. At that moment, Jack opened the door and entered.

“Hey guys”

“Hey, did Martha finally give you permission?” Xavier asked.

“Well, no” Jack chuckled. “But I made up some story about working late at the station. She and Luc have no idea I’m here”

“What a rebel you are, Jack!” Jai laughed.

“I snuck this from home. It belongs to Martha. Wanna play?” Jack asked, taking out the ‘Twister’ game box from his backpack.

“Brendan wants to play” Brendan jeered. Turning off the Nintendo, the teens gathered around as Jack assembled the game.

“By the way, where’s Hugo?”

+++++

“I’m sorry, I’m boring you with my problems, aren’t I?” Leah asked. She and Hugo were seated at the Surf Club.

“You’re not boring me” Hugo replied. “I just can’t believe that Ray did this to Alf and my Uncle”

“I just feel stupid” Leah replied. “Anyway, nothing like a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows.”

“Whoa, be careful” Hugo warned. “Haven’t you drunk too much already?”

“No”

“But that’s your fourth glass”

“And how many beers have you had?” Leah asked

“Well...........this is my third one”

+++++

8:45PM

Gina sat down in the living room, exhausted after unpacking most of her luggage. She then remembered what Tony said earlier about needing time for herself. Taking her bag and her keys, she headed out of the Holden House.

+++++

9:00PM

Roman was sitting in the Living Room at his house, watching television. He brought his attention to the photo frame of himself and his SAS mates, sitting on the coffee table. He then thought about his earlier discussion with Warren. Picking up the phone, he began to dial.

“Hello.....................Hey mate, it’s Roman Harris.................I want to return to the SAS.”

+++++

At the Yabbie Creek Bar, Gina entered the front doors. As she made her way to the counter, she noticed that a special event was taking place in the lounge area next door.

“Hey” Gina greeted the man behind the counter. “I’ll just have a lemonade thanks.”

“Sure” the man smiled. As he was preparing a glass, Gina stared at the glass windows into the lounge.

“Looks like a busy night” Gina commented. The man nodded.

“That’s right. It’s a ‘Blind Date Dance.’ Each of them is wearing a mask and they take them off to reveal themselves to each other at the end of the dance. Are you interested?” The man asked. Gina at first hesitated, but then made a decision.

“Well, why not” Gina smiled. “I came here to take time for myself, so I might as well enjoy it.” The man chuckled at her response.

“OK then. Here’s a mask. Come with me, and I’ll pair you up with someone.”

“Thanks” Gina replied. Placing the mask on, she entered the lounge.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Like Father, Like Son)

Tony and Jack land themselves in trouble with Rachel and Martha.

Gina meets a familiar face at the Blind Date Dance.

What does Charlie discover the morning after?

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 57: LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

At the annexe end of the Holden House:

9:30PM

“OK Brendan, place your right hand on a green dot” Annie called out.

“Brendan cannot reach that far!” Brendan squealed. As he reached out his hand, he tumbled over, sending Jai, Jack, Ruby and Xavier down with him.

“Oh well, we’ll have to start again” Annie said.

“Count me out of this round, I’ll just watch” Ruby informed.

“But then, who’s gonna play for you?” Annie asked.

“Count me in!” a voice came from the door. Everyone turned around to see Tony standing there, smiling.

“Dad!” Jack exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“Shh....I snuck out of bed. Rachel’s in the laundry, and she doesn’t know I’m here” Tony replied. “Besides, what are you doing here? Martha’s gonna kill you!”

“Well..........yeah” Jack giggled.

“Anyway, what’s wrong with an old man like me wanting to bond with his son and his nephews and mates” Tony asked “to make up for everything that’s happened.”

“OK then, Uncle Tony. You’re in!” Xavier smiled.

Fifteen minutes later.

“Almost there” Tony exclaimed.

“You can do it, Dad!” Jack said. Tony was desperately trying to move his left foot onto the blue dot.

“There we go!” Tony replied.

“JACK ANTHONY HOLDEN!” everyone spun around to see Martha standing at the doorway, clearly unimpressed. “WHAT ON EARTH?”

“er.......hi love” Jack smiled uneasily. “I was just....”

“I know, playing Twister!” Martha replied. “You’re gonna give me a good explanation as to why you lied to me and.........IS THAT MY TWISTER?”

“Um......”

“HOME, NOW!” Martha demanded.

“Sorry guys” Jack whispered.

“Busted!” Tony teased his son. At that moment, another yell was heard.

“TONY, THERE YOU ARE!” Rachel yelled. “YOU CAN’T JUST SNEAK OUT ON ME LIKE THAT, YOU NEED TO REST, FOR YOUR HEALTH!”

“But.......”

“NO BUTS, TONY. BED, NOW!”

“But I want to play!” Tony demanded childishly. Rachel walked in, pulling his left ear and dragging him out.

“Ow......Ow.....OK I’m going.......going.......going..............gone. Goodnight guys!”

+++++

As the night went on, so did the music. Gina was dancing along to a romantic, slow-paced song with the man she was partnered with.

“So tell me, what brought you along here to the blind date dance?” Gina asked her partner.

“Well, I work in a job which is pretty full on and attending social events are one of the few things I have time for.”

“I see” Gina replied. “So, when it comes to the ladies, it’s just been a case of bad luck?”

“If you want to know” the man replied. “I was married before, but it ended when my wife died in a plane crash over Europe.”

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” Gina apologised.

“It’s OK, don’t worry about it.” The man replied. “Although I was upset for months, I finally realised that life does go on, so I kept myself busy. I went to college, and a few years later, bingo! I became a Doctor. Anyway, what about you?”

“I was married once” Gina replied. “It ended in divorce. I have three children, and they live with me in Summer Bay.”

“Let me guess” The man said. “One of your kids is named Brendan, and he recently had a case of Chicken Pox.” Gina was surprised at what she just heard.

“Er......Yes, that’s right. How do you know that?” Gina asked. The man let out a small chuckle.

“Come on, Gina.”

“How do you know my name?”

“I recognise you voice. Besides, we’ve been dancing for over an hour and you still can’t figure out who I am?” The man said. He then took off his mask.

“Oh my God!” Gina gasped, taking off her mask. “Jim?”

“Pleased to meet you, again!” Dr. Winston smiled.

+++++

The next morning was fairly warm.

7:30AM

At Leah’s House, Charlie was in the kitchen, eating breakfast and reading a magazine. Suddenly she heard a door slam, followed by whispering and giggling. Charlie went to the living room, and saw Leah and Hugo, standing shocked after being caught. Leah was covered in her robe, while Hugo looked shaggy with his unbuttoned shirt.

“Oh my.............I think I’m gonna be sick!” Charlie exclaimed.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Families United)

It's Lucas' 17th Birthday, but will he finally forgive Hugo?

Alone and single, Charlie and Richard seek comfort with each other.

Roman bids farewell to Summer Bay.

Next Chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 58: FAMILIES UNITED

Alf, Gina, Lucas, Rachel and Tony gathered at Irene’s house to prepare for Lucas’ birthday party.

11:30AM

“Thanks for organising this, Irene” Lucas said. “You really didn’t need to.”

“Don’t worry about it, love” Irene smiled. “You and your family need a break for a change”

Jack arrived, followed by Brendan, Hugo and Xavier. Brendan and Xavier headed upstairs where Ruby and Annie were playing cards in Annie’s room. Hugo stayed downstairs in the living room, opposite Lucas. After a moment of silence, Hugo began to speak.

“Hey” Hugo softly replied. Lucas stared at his cousin but didn’t respond.

“I got you something. Happy Birthday” Hugo said, handing over a small wrapped gift.

“Thanks” Lucas silently replied. As Hugo got up to head to the kitchen, Lucas stopped him.

“Hugo, can I see you outside for a moment?”

Outside Irene’s house:

“Listen, Hugo. I think I owe you an apology” Lucas softly spoke. Hugo placed his right hand on his cousin’s shoulder.

“I don’t blame you” Hugo replied. “It was kinda my fault anyway. I should have watched your father more carefully.”

“I don’t want to keep fighting with you anymore” Lucas continued. “In the end, Dad’s back with us, and everything is OK again. That’s all that matters.”

“It’s OK. You’re forgiven.”

“Am I, really? I mean, it was wrong of me to yell at you and tell you that.......” Lucas was interrupted.

“Shh.....don’t worry about it. Come here.” Hugo pulled his cousin into a hug.

From the kitchen window, Jack and Gina looked on, smiling. Both were happy that the pair finally sorted things through and reconciled with each other.

“One big happy family?” Gina asked cheerfully.

“One big happy family!” Jack replied. Gina embraced her nephew.

Next through the door came Charlie, Leah, Warren and Richard.

“Hey” Charlie greeted everyone.

“Oh, thank goodness you’re here” Irene replied in haste. “The more help in the kitchen, the better!”

“Er.......OK I guess I’m needed in the kitchen” Charlie said.

Warren and Richard headed outside for a smoke. Leah sat down with Rachel and Tony on the couch in the Living room.

“Leah?” Tony exclaimed. “I’m surprised to see you here.”

“Sorry?” Leah asked. Tony raised his hands in defence.

“No, I mean, I’m surprised you’re up for partying after what I heard from Jack about Ray. Are you OK?”

“I’m fine” Leah reassured him.

“Yoo Hoo, only me” Colleen yelled out as she entered the door, followed by Martha.

“Finally!” Irene exclaimed. “What took you so long?”

“Martha and I went to Yabbie Creek to get the birthday cake?” Colleen replied.

“We took long, because Colleen practically disapproved most of the cakes, until we finally found the ‘right’ one.” Martha joked.

“WHAT?” Irene gasped. “Why didn’t you just get one of our cakes from the Diner, like I asked?”

“It’s Lucas’ 17th. It has to be a special cake” Colleen replied. Irene rolled her eyes.

“Well this must be one big cake. How big is this box?” Irene opened it to see two cakes inside, side by side.

“COLLEEN!” Irene yelled. “WE ONLY NEED ONE CAKE!”

“Hang on, this was Martha’s idea” Colleen responded in defence.

“The other one’s for Tony” Martha replied. “for being a great father-in-law to me and coming back to all of us safely.”

After hearing this, Tony suddenly spun around from the couch.

“I get cake?” Tony asked, excited.

+++++

Everyone gathered around the table, feasting on the lunch that was prepared. Roman knocked on the door and silently entered.

1:00PM

“Roman, glad you could FINALLY make it” Irene said. “You’re late, and the food’s almost gone.” Everyone spun around to see Roman at the door. Richard, in particular was starting to become agitated.

“OK, just calm down. Take it easy” Warren whispered.

“Excuse me” Richard said, as he headed out the back door.

“Perhaps I should keep him company” Jack suggested.

“Yeah, good idea” Martha replied. Jack followed Richard out the door.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Come in, there’s still some food left” Irene spoke out

“Actually, I can’t stay” Roman replied.

“What?” Lucas asked.

“Sorry, mate.” Roman continued. “I’m just here to let you guys know that I’ve being doing some thinking and I’ve decided to return to the SAS.”

“Er.......wow” Alf replied. “When are you going back?”

“I’m leaving this afternoon” Roman replied.

“What?” Tony exclaimed.

“I know, mate, it’s come as a bit of a shock to you all.” Roman responded. He glanced at Charlie, who was staring down at her plate. “But, I got a call from the SAS this morning, and if I’m to join them, I have to leave, today.”

“Wow........I....I don’t know what to say” Tony replied. “We’ll miss you........we all will.”

“I know, I’ll miss you too” Roman replied. “But I’ll still be coming in and out of Summer Bay for the next few weeks to take care of the furniture and perhaps sell the house.”

“Well.....I.....I guess this is goodbye, then” Irene said.

“I guess it is” Roman replied. “Take care of yourselves, and Lucas, here’s a small present for you. I’ll just leave it here on the table. Bye everyone.”

After Roman placed Lucas’ gift down on the table, he slowly turned around and left. Everyone on the table was silent in shock – everyone except Warren.

“Good decision, Roman” Warren thought to himself. “Don’t ever come back!”

+++++

Whilst everyone else stayed behind at Irene’s house, Warren returned home to his apartment whilst Richard sat down at the beach. He looked up to see a familiar face coming towards him.

3:00PM

“Hey” Charlie said, sitting down beside him. “I wondered where you got off to. Jack said you didn’t come back inside for the cakes?”

“I wanted some time alone” Richard replied. “Besides, why aren’t you there?”

“I needed some space too” Charlie responded. “It was a bit of a shock though, that Roman’s left Summer Bay. I hated him, but still his departure came as a surprise.”

“Hmm”

“Anyway, what does it matter” Charlie continued. “At the end of the day, I’m still alone. I thought Roman was the one for me.”

“Well, that’s romance for you” Richard replied, letting out a small chuckle. “There’s never a perfect couple nowadays”

“I know” Charlie smiled. Richard stood up, shaking the sand from his lap.

“Hey, why don’t I shout the two of us for a drink.”

“But the Surf Club’s closed. Alf’s still at Irene’s” Charlie reminded him.

“I know another place. It’s down near Yabbie Creek” Richard suggested. “We can both go and sulk over our tragic love lives there.”

“I won’t say no to that” Charlie laughed. Standing up, the pair headed towards Richard’s car and drove off.

+++++

Later in the evening:

6:00PM

“Thanks for a great afternoon” Leah said, as she grabbed her bag.

“No worries” Irene replied.

“Bye everyone”

“Bye” everyone replied in unison. As Leah walked out, she bumped into Hugo, who was cleaning up the table.

“Hey” Leah softly spoke.

“Hey” Hugo replied. “About last night.......”

“Come on, do we really need to talk about it?”

“I think we do” Hugo replied. “We were both drunk, and then we ended up sleeping together. I think we need to talk, so we know where we both stand.”

“Hmm......I agree” Leah responded.

“Come” Hugo said. “I know this Bar, not too far from Yabbie Creek. We can talk there.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: The Return)

Tony, Gina and Rachel head to Alice Springs to prepare for Brenda’s funeral.

Brendan suspects a romance between Hugo and Leah.

NOTE: At this point, the next two chapters would have been the final two chapters, but I've decided to write some extra chapters, as I mentioned before. It might take a bit longer than usual to update the following chapters because I'm still in the process of finishing them.

CHAPTER 59: THE RETURN

One week passes by for the residents of Summer Bay.

8:00AM

Hugo and Xavier were in the Living Room of the Holden House, packing some things into their bags. Martha was at the table, keeping Brendan company as he was colouring his books.

Jack arrived at the door after having dropped Tony, Rachel and Gina at the airport.

“Hey guys” Jack greeted.

“Why couldn’t Brendan come to the airport?” Brendan shouted.

“I told you mate, our flight’s not until later tonight, remember?” Jack said. “Besides, I promised you that if you come with us, I’ll take you to the gift shop at the airport before we board our plane.”

“Brendan likes the gift shop!” Brendan smiled.

“I know you do, mate.”

“So how’s Tony?” Martha asked her husband.

“Dad’s fine” Jack replied. “They should all arrive in Alice Springs in a couple of hours.

Leah knocked on the door.

“Hello” Leah greeted them. Seeing her, Brendan got up from his seat and started clapping his hands.

“Hugo loves Leah! Hugo loves Leah!” Brendan jeered. Leah couldn’t help but laugh.

“Come on, Brendan. It was just one night” Hugo replied. “Anyway Leah, what can I do for you?”

“I came to drop this off” Leah replied, handing over an envelope. “When you get to Alice Springs, can you give this to Tony?”

“Sure” Hugo replied. “But didn’t Mum give you an invite?”

“She did, but unfortunately I have to stay here with Irene and Colleen in the Diner to do extra shifts. It’s been pretty hard to keep it running since Roman left and no one had applied to our notice for a replacement chef.”

“I understand” Hugo replied. “So I guess when I come back after the funeral, I’ll see you around.”

“I guess we will” Leah replied. Suddenly Brendan began to cheer again.

“Hugo loves Leah! Hugo loves Leah!”

“Stop it!” Hugo laughed.

“That’s my cue to leave. I’ll see you later” Leah said as she turned around and left.

+++++

The plane from Sydney to Alice Springs touched down. After passing the gate and claiming their bags, Gina, Rachel and Tony hopped into a taxi and headed to the hotel.

Arriving at the hotel, Tony and Rachel went to the lounge, whilst Gina was at the front desk, speaking to the receptionist.

10:30AM (NT)

“What are the names, please?” The lady asked.

“Austin, Armstrong and Holden” Gina replied. “Our names should be there. We booked the rooms over the internet yesterday.” The lady checked through her computer. She then grabbed two sets of keys.

“OK Ms. Austin. Here is you key for room 201 and Ms. Armstrong and Mr. Holden will be in room 202.” The lady replied. “I also have listed here a four-bed room for X. Austin, H. Austin, B. Austin and L. Holden, and another room for J. Holden and M. Holden. Is that correct.”

“That’s right. But they won’t be here until later tonight” Gina replied. The lady typed some notes on the computer.

“OK then Ms. Austin, I have all those rooms reserved, number 203 and 204, and they can pick up their keys when they arrive.”

“Thanks” Gina smiled, grabbing the keys to 201 and 202.

Heading up the elevator, Gina, Rachel and Tony arrived at Level Five, the highest level at the hotel.

“I’ll ring up Matt, the funeral director and tell him we’ve just arrived” Gina said. “I think he said before that he's going to schedule our meeting with him for tonight, therefore we'll have the whole afternoon to ourselves.”

“Actually, I think Rach and I might just stay in our room and have a rest “Tony replied.

“Fair enough then, I’ll leave you two to it. The Dining Hall will be open at 6:30PM for Dinner.”

“Thanks” Rachel smiled.

Entering room 202, Tony and Rachel took their bags inside. Rachel opened up the curtains and saw the small town of Alice Springs in full view, with the orange hills of bare land on the horizon.

“Wow, Alice Springs is such a lovely town” Rachel smiled. “I just can’t believe that I’ve never been here before.” Turning around, Rachel saw her fiancé sitting on the bed, staring into space.

“Tony, you OK?” Tony turned around to face Rachel.

“I’m fine, why?”

“I’m sorry” Rachel apologised. “I’m bragging about how wonderful this town looks, while you’ve been dreading to come here.”

“Well, I have to come” Tony replied. “This is my only chance to say goodbye to Mum, even if I have to be in the town which I spent ten horrible years of my life.” Rachel sat next to Tony and cuddled him. Tony responded with a kiss on the forehead.

“Tony, you don’t have to do this alone. Do you realise how scared I was for you when you almost died in that fire? I mean, if it wasn’t for Richard Dean finding the warehouse, I could have lost you, forever.”

“I know” Tony replied. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s OK” Rachel continued. “All I want is for you to promise me that you will talk to me when something’s troubling you, and not to keep any secrets. I mean, you proposed to me, I’ll be your future wife. I want you to trust me, because I love you.”

“I love you too” Tony replied. “It’s.......it’s just”

“Just what?” Rachel asked sympathetically. “Please talk to me.”

“I’m scared, Rach. I’m scared to be here. After all that’s happened.” Seeing that Tony was close to tears, Rachel pulled him into a tight hug.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: The Photograph)

Is Love in the air for Charlie and Richard?

Jack tells Xavier about a photograph of Brenda that he found when he was young.

Martin suffers a headache upon his return to Sydney.

NOTE: (Just a trivia for Non-AUS readers) - Northern Territory is 1.5 hours behind New South Wales (in Daylight Savings time)

They told Brendan about Hugo and Leah spending the night together?Or is he just really perceptive? Nice little chat between Tony and Rachel.

He's just really perceptive :P

Anyway, here is the next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 60: THE PHOTOGRAPH

12:00PM

Charlie, Richard and Watson were at the Surf Club. Alf came up towards them.

“Here you go” Alf said, handing each of them a beer.

“Thanks Alf, how much altogether” Richard asked, pulling out his wallet.

“Don’t worry about it, it’s free” Alf smiled.

“Sorry?”

“It’s a ‘thank you’ from me for catching that flamin’ real estate agent mongrel of a man.”

“Wow........er........thanks Alf” Watson smiled.

“No worries” Alf replied. “By the way, were you able to catch the man who Ray was associated with?”

“Not yet” Charlie replied. “Ray’s being very uncooperative, and he’s not telling us a thing. Anyway, we’ll try again with him this afternoon. You’ll be the first to know when we find out.”

“Thanks” Alf replied, as he headed back to the counter.

“Anyway, since we don’t have to be back at the station for another hour, why don’t we bring our Beers to the pool table and start up a game?” Watson suggested.

“That’s a great idea” Charlie said.

“OK, I’ll set up the table” Watson replied, as she stood up and left. As Charlie stood up, she accidently knocked over Richard’s beer glass, spilling the contents all over his police uniform.

“Oh my God!” Charlie gasped. “I’m so sorry, Richard. Here, let me help you.” Grabbing a tea-towel from Alf, she dabbed it gently on Richard’s shirt, soaking up the spilt beer. As she was cleaning him up, Richard stared straight into her eyes. Looking up, Charlie stared at him too.

After a few seconds of silence, Watson suddenly yelled.

“OH MY GOD, JUST KISS ALREADY, WILL YOU?” Charlie and Richard jumped in shock and stared at the constable. Everyone in the Surf Club was now staring at them.

“IT’S SO OBVIOUS THAT YOU TWO ARE KEEN ON EACH OTHER, EVER SINCE THE PAST WEEK!” Watson continued.

“Perhaps we should ditch Watson and go somewhere a little more private” Richard suggested.

“I think Tony’s assistant left the Gym open” Charlie replied. “Let’s go in there.” As the two quickly sneaked out, Watson called out.

“HEY........WHAT ABOUT OUR GAME?”

+++++

At Darwin Airport...

1:30PM (NT)

“Here are your documents and your passport.” The lady said behind the counter. “Your flight to Sydney is now boarding.”

“Thanks” Martin Bartlett replied, taking the documents and the passport. Picking up his bag, he headed towards the gate.

As he was heading to the doors, he felt a strong, sharp headache. Finding a seat nearby, Martin sat down for a few minutes before heading back up towards the plane.

+++++

The night sky slowly came, wiping out the daylight. At the Airport, Hugo, Martha and Lucas were at the counter checking in their bags for their flight to Alice Springs, whilst Jack, Xavier and Brendan were at the gift shop.

7:00PM

“Brendan wants one!” Brendan said, pointing at a stuffed toy kangaroo.

"Are you sure?" Xavier asked. "Remember, Mum said only one stuffed toy from the gift shop to play with on the plane." Brendan nodded, smiling.

"Brendan wants the Kangaroo!"

“OK, Bandicoot” Xavier smiled. “Give it to me and I’ll buy it for you.”

“Thanks, Xavie” Brendan smiled, hugging his brother.

As Brendan continued looking around, Xavier noticed Jack staring at a particular item. It was a gold necklace with a figure of a koala attached to it.

“Jack, are you’re OK?”

“Hey Xavier, what do you think? Should I get it?” Jack asked.

“er.......I should remind you that you’re a guy, not a girl!” Xavier chuckled.

“No, not for me” Jack replied. “For grandma Brenda”

“Oh” Xavier replied. “Sorry.”

“Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it would be good for grandma Brenda to wear this around her neck as a gift from us before she’s buried.”

“But why a Koala?” Xavier asked.

“One day, when I was about 18, I was at home, while Dad was picking up Luc up from junior footy practice. I snuck into Dad’s study room to play a game on his computer and I accidentally knocked over a pile of books that were on the shelf. I picked them up from the floor and noticed a photo that fell from inside one of the books. It was a photo of Grandma, feeding a Koala. I saw from the photo that she had a love and a fascination for Koalas. I just think that a Koala necklace for Grandma Brenda is a nice way to remember the things that she loved, even though we all never met her.”

“I think it’s nice too” Xavier replied. “It’s out gift for Grandma Brenda”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: 105 Kingfisher Street)

Tony steals a key from Gina’s bag and then flees from the Hotel, but why?

Martin’s health takes a dramatic turn.

Rachel’s craving for ‘Apple Pie’ becomes a topic of amusement at the Dining table.

CHAPTER 61: 105 KINGFISHER STREET

7:30PM

“Hope you have a safe trip there………OK then. Bye” Irene placed the phone down.

“How are they?” Leah asked.

“They’re fine” Irene replied. “Martha said that they’re just about to board the plane. Their flight’s at 8:00PM and they’ll arrive at 10:30PM Alice Springs time, which is midnight in our time.”

“I see” Leah understood.

“Well, seeing as we have no customers, we might as well close up early” Irene sighed.

“Might as well” Leah replied. “This place hasn’t been the same, without Roman here, and whether a replacement is ever gonna read our ad, we don’t know.” At that moment, Martin turned up at the door.

“Ah, Martin, glad you’re here!” Irene smiled. “Now we have at least one customer. By the way, how was your trip to Darwin?” Leah noticed Martin looking faint and unwell.

“Martin, you don’t look so good. Are you OK?”

“Here, take a seat” Irene said, guiding him to a chair, but before Martin could take one step, he suddenly collapsed on the ground.

“Oh My Godfather!” Irene gasped. “Martin……Martin, can you hear me?” Martin remained unresponsive.

“I’ll call an ambulance” Leah said, rushing to the kitchen and grabbing the phone.

+++++

6:30PM (NT)

In the Hotel, Tony was unpacking his luggage, whilst Rachel was reading the Dinner menu.

“This menu is awesome!” Rachel squealed. “Roast Pork, gravy. They’ve got the lot!”

“Hey, hey. Take it easy” Tony replied. “You’ve got our kid growing inside you, remember?” Rachel turned the paper over to the desserts menu.

“Oh my God! No way!” Rachel gasped.

“What?”

“They’ve got Apple Pie! I’m so going to get that for dessert!” Rachel smiled. Tony rolled his eyes.

At the moment, Tony’s mobile rang.

“Hello?......................G’day Matt, how you going?..................Does Gina know?..............Oh. Perhaps her mobile is off. I’ll let her know. Thanks for calling. Bye.”

“Rach, I’ll just be next door with Gina. I won’t be long.”

“OK” Rachel called out, still staring at the desserts menu. As Tony walked out of the room, he muttered silently to himself.

“Watch out, Kitchen staff. Rachel’s gonna eat all your Apple Pies!”

Tony knocked on the door to Gina’s hotel room.

“Come in” Gina called out. Tony entered the room.

“Hey Gina” Tony replied. “The funeral director just called me. He said that we can see him after 8:00PM tonight to discuss Mum’s funeral.”

“OK thanks for letting me know” Gina replied. Tony noticed that the tap in the bathtub in the bathroom was running.

“Oh Sorry, I didn’t realise”

“That’s OK” Gina chuckled. “I just want to have a quick bath, before we head downstairs for Dinner.”

“OK then, I’ll see you at Dinner” Tony replied.

“See you there” Gina said, as she went to the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

As Tony made his way out of the room, he bumped into a chair, which sent Gina’s bag toppling on the ground, spilling the contents.

“I’m so clumsy!” Tony said to himself. Tony picked up the contents and placed them back inside, but stopped suddenly when he noticed a key lying at the bottom of the bag. Picking it up, Tony read the tag which was attached to the key.

105 Kingfisher Street, Alice Springs

Tony suddenly remembered that the key belonged to no other than his parent’s house, his childhood home, the home which he spent ten terrible years of his life. Putting the key in his pocket, Tony placed the remaining items back into Gina’s bag and left the room.

+++++

The Hospital was in a chaotic state. A bus accident near Yabbie Creek occurred one hour earlier and all those who were injured were rushed inside.

The paramedics wheeled Martin into the corridor.

“Is there a doctor available?” one of the paramedics called out. Dr. Jim Winston came out of his office.

“I’m here” Jim called out. “Is this patient from the bus accident?”

“No, this is a separate case” The man replied. “Martin Bartlett, 58 years old, collapsed suddenly at the Diner. On the way, he came in and out of consciousness and muttered something about a headache.”

“OK. Take him this way” Jim led the way down the corridor. “We’re going to run some tests and I’m going to get some scans.”

+++++

7:30PM (NT)

Gina, Rachel and Tony were finishing their dinner in the Dining hall, located at the second level of their hotel.

“I spoke to Matt just quickly on the phone, and most of everything is ready for Mum’s funeral tomorrow “Gina said. “We just need to see him at his office after we’re finished here to finalise anything else that’s left.”

“It’s good that you chose him” Rachel replied. “From what I’ve heard, he seems to be a hassle-free guy, and he’s already done the hard work for you guys.”

“Yeah” Gina replied. “All I want is for Mum to have a proper funeral, where we can all say a proper goodbye to her.” Rachel looked over at Tony and began to worry a little.

“Tony, you OK? You’ve been quiet all evening.”

“I’m fine, thanks Rach” Tony replied. “Actually, I might head to the restroom and wash up.”

“OK, but don’t be long, or your fiancé will finish off your dessert” Gina chuckled.

“Excuse me!” Rachel laughed. “I can’t help it if I have a sweet tooth. Plus since I’ve been pregnant, I have a strong craving for Apple Pie!”

“I won’t be long” Tony chuckled. “I’ll be back for MY Apple pie!”

Tony headed a fair distance away. Turning around, he saw his fiancé and his sister giggling at each other in a conversation. Keeping himself hidden, Tony snuck out of the hall and headed for the elevator. Reaching the ground floor, he walked out of the Hotel and into an available taxi.

“Can you take me to 105 Kingfisher Street?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Back To Where It All Began)

Dr. Winston receives Martin’s test results.

Tony enters his Childhood Home for the first time in years, but is unaware that someone is lurking in the darkness inside. Who is it?

Archived