My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 22: ROMANCE FOR TWO COUPLES

5:45PM

As the sun began to slowly set, Jack had finished making preparations in the Bachelor Pad. He looked at his watch. 5:45PM.

“Excellent. Just enough time to pick a nice outfit to wear.” Jack thought to himself, as he went into his bedroom and sorted through his wardrobe.

Fifteen minutes later, Martha walked in to see the dining table with two plates, two wine glasses, a bottle of what appeared to be overpriced champagne, a vase of red and white roses in the centre and two candlesticks with lit candles. Jack appeared from the hallway.

“Oh Jack. This looks lovely.” Martha’s face glowed with a smile.

“Come on in” Jack replied. Martha noticed Jack’s dinner suit.

“Wow, you look smashing!”

“You’re not too bad yourself” Jack replied. Both of them couldn’t help but giggle at each other.

“So what is all this for?” Martha asked.

“Well,” Jack replied “we haven’t had a lot of time together for a while, you know with all my late shifts in the station and after all this business with the robbery in the Surf Club and then what happened with Dad, that I thought tonight will just be about you and me.”

“Aww Jack.” Martha gave Jack a kiss.

“Actually not yet.” Jack walked over to the telephone and pulled the cord out of the wall socket. “Now it’s just the two of us.”

Martha interrupted. “Not yet.” She pulled her mobile out of her bag and switched it off. “Now it’s just the two of us.......hang on, what about your mobile?”

“Left it on my desk at work” Jack replied. “So now it’s just the two of us.” He smiled.

“Sure is.” Martha smiled back as she gave her husband one more kiss and they both headed for the table.

+++++

6:00PM

The evening crowd of Summer Bay residents came in to try the dinner specials that were being offered in the Diner. Irene, Leah and Roman were busy cooking and preparing meals for the many that came, including Ray, the local real estate agent.

“That was lovely, thank you Leah.” Ray commented on the lovely seafood dish he had just eaten.

“No worries.” Leah responded. “I’m glad you like it.”

“Here, take this.” Ray held out a $20 note. “You work too hard.”

Leah took the note, but rolled it up and placed it in Ray’s top pocket.

“That’s very nice of you, but you don’t have to do that.” Leah replied.

“What? Is your favourite customer not allowed to give tips now?” Ray asked, with a smile.

“No no. It’s just that it’s not fair to Irene, Colleen and Roman. They’ll get jealous if they find out I get paid extra while they get nothing from their customers.”

“But you’re my favourite one.” Ray commented.

“Oh Stop it!” Leah childishly replied with a giggle, taking the plate and heading back to the kitchen. Ray looked at her with a smile.

+++++

Back at the Police station in Yabbie Creek, Constable Watson entered Charlie’s office.

6:30PM

“Charlie, Forensics just called. They said that they have finished with their investigations and although they are still unsure of who did it, the good news is that the Surf Club and the Gym can be re-opened again.”

“That’s great news” Charlie replied. “I’ll call Alf and let him know. What’s the situation on the Kent Holden case?”

“The officers from Alice Springs have just taken him and left.” Watson replied.

“OK thanks for letting me know.” Charlie said.

“No worries.” Watson replied before heading out the door, closing it behind her. Charlie picked up the phone and began to dial Alf’s mobile.

“Hello Alf, it’s Charlie Buckton here........................I’m well thanks........we’ve just received confirmation from forensics that the Surf Club can be reopened tomorrow...........................no, they still need to work out who is responsible......................Don’t worry, you’ll be the first to know when we find out.............no worries. Bye.”

Charlie then began to dial Jack’s mobile to let him know about his grandfather.

“Hello, you have reached Jack’s mobile. I can’t take your call right now. Please leave a message.”

“Voice Mail. Perfect. What’s the point of having a mobile, Jack if you don’t keep it on?” Charlie said to herself.

“Hey Jack it’s Charlie. Just wanted to let you know that Kent has been transferred tonight to Alice Springs to face charges over there. Hope your surprise dinner with Martha goes well and tell your Dad we’re all thinking of him. OK bye, and also, turn on your mobile!”

Charlie grabbed her jacket and keys and headed out of her office. She saw Watson behind the front desk.

“Hey. Since all our work is done for tonight, would you like to head off for dinner or something?”

“OK, but if it is anywhere else, other than the Diner.” Watson replied.

“Why? I hear that the Dinner menus are half price tonight.” Charlie commented. Watson smiled.

“You only want to go there because your boyfriend happens to be the cook there.”

Charlie smiled. “Well..........yeah.” They both laughed at each other as they left the station.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Terrifying Information)

Tony goes from bad to worse after hearing troubling news from Charlie.

Xavier bumps into Ruby at the Diner.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashbacks present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE

CHAPTER 23: TERRIFYING INFORMATION

6:40PM

“Hey love, what can I get you?” Irene asked Xavier.

“Can I get four takeaway Chicken salad meals please.”

“Four takeaway Chicken Salad meals coming up.” Irene noted down on her notebook, as she headed back in the kitchen. As Xavier turned around, he saw Ruby enter the front door.

“Ruby, hey how are you?”

“Hey, I’m fine thanks.” Ruby replied.

“Did you come to take advantage of the Dinner specials night?” Xavier asked.

“Actually, I came here to ask Irene for a part time job. Charlie’s been bugging me about getting a job so that I have something ‘interesting’ to do.” Ruby replied.

“Well, good luck with asking her. I think Irene’s completely stressed out. There’s quite a crowd tonight, and Colleen doesn’t seem to be here.”

A minute later, Irene came out of the kitchen with four takeaway containers.

“Here you go love.” Irene said, handing the food to Xavier.

“Thanks Irene.” Xavier replied.

“So I guess I’ll see you around.” Xavier said to Ruby.

“I guess I will.” Ruby smiled. Suddenly there was a sound of plates crashing on the ground in the kitchen.

“Good luck with asking Irene.” Xavier said.

“Actually, I think I’ll leave it for tomorrow. Irene looks stressed.” Ruby replied. “Hey, you know what, if you’re looking for a job, perhaps we can both work here.”

“Hmm……well I am looking for a job actually. I’ll think about it.”

+++++

Charlie and Watson pulled up at the car park outside the Diner.

7:15PM

“Wow, looks like there’s a lot of people tonight.” Charlie commented on the many people she saw sitting outside.”

Watson smiled. “Perhaps your boyfriend became Summer Bay’s most famous cook!”

Charlie laughed at her colleague’s comment. Suddenly, Charlie’s phone rang.

“Why don’t you go ahead and find a table. I’ll join you in a minute.” Charlie suggested.

“OK then.” Watson left the car and headed towards the Diner. Charlie answered the phone.

“Hello....................Hey Richard, what’s up?.......................WHAT??......................well, where is he?......................Oh no!................OK just send some officers there and do a search around the area..........OK..........bye.”

Charlie started up the car and began to drive off. Watson, who heard the car start up, began to race back.

“HEY” Watson yelled, running after the car. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME HERE! I LEFT MY CAR BACK AT THE STATION!”

+++++

At the Holden House, Rachel, Tony, Hugo and Xavier were sitting around the table finishing on Dinner.

7:30PM

“Good choice on the Chicken Salad meal. This tastes delicious.” Rachel commented.

“I agree with Rach. This is lovely.” Hugo noted.

“Thanks guys. I’m glad you like it.” Xavier replied. “What about you, Uncle Tony?” Rachel glanced at Tony’s plate and saw that the food was hardly touched.

“Come on Tony, you have to eat something. Do you want me to make you something instead?”

“No it’s fine, thanks Rach.” Tony replied.

There was a knock on the door. Hugo went over to open it.

“Charlie, Hey. What’s up?” Hugo said.

“Hey, Hugo. Listen, there’s something I need to tell all of you.” Tony and Rachel headed over towards the officer.

“Charlie. What’s going on?” a curious Rachel asked.”

Charlie sighed. “Umm........there’s no easy way of telling you this”

“Tell us what?” Tony asked.

“Charlie, you’re scaring me. What’s going on?” Rachel asked again.

“I’ve just received a call from Richard back at the station. There’s been an accident.”

“What accident?” Hugo asked.

“The police van that was transporting Kent to the airport collided with a truck along the highway. Both of the officers who were responsible for transferring him were killed instantly.”

Rachel became worried. “And Kent?”

“There’s no sign of him. We think that he escaped from the wreckage. We have just sent officers over there to search for him.”

Tony began to panic.”OH, NO NO NO. HE’S COMING BACK. HE’LL BE HERE, HE’S COMING BACK FOR ME.” Rachel held onto her fiancé.

“Don’t think like that.” Hugo replied. “The cops are out there. They will catch him.”

“BUT WHAT IF THEY DON’T. HE’LL BE HERE, HE’LL BE AFTER ME AGAIN.” Tony panicked.

“Tony, please calm down.” Charlie spoke.

“YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT HE’S CAPABLE OF. HE CAN DO ANYTHING, HE.......” Tony had a sudden flashback:

“I’ll show you what it’s like to disobey me!” Kent yelled.

“NO!!!!!” Tony screamed. At that moment, he grabbed onto his chest.

“TONY!!” Rachel screamed

“OH MY GOD!!” Charlie yelled. Tony had collapsed on the floor.

“XAVIER, CALL AN AMBULANCE!” Hugo yelled at his brother. Xavier grabbed the phone and dialled.

+++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Future Family)

Tony is rushed to the Hospital.

Jack and Martha dream about their future together

I'll post the next chapter now, as I probably won't have time to do so over the weekend. :wink:

CHAPTER 24: FUTURE FAMILY

7:35PM

“TONY, CAN YOU HEAR ME?” Hugo and Charlie yelled out. Rachel watched in horror. Xavier headed across the living room and peeked through the curtains.

“The ambulance is here.” Xavier said.

“Tony did you hear that?” Rachel replied. “Don’t worry, you’ll be OK.”

A couple of minutes later, two paramedics wheeled Tony into the Ambulance.

“Rachel, why don’t you go with them.” Hugo said. Keeping one hand on her tummy, Rachel was helped by Charlie into the back of the Ambulance. The paramedics closed the door and began to drive off.

“Come, Hugo. I’ll give you a ride.” Charlie said.

“Thanks Charlie.” Hugo replied. “Xavier, stay here.”

+++++

Meanwhile at the Bachelor Pad, Jack and Martha had just finished their dinner. Surprisingly, neither of them heard the ambulance next door.

Martha smiled at her husband. “Thank you for a wonderful dinner.” Jack smiled back.

“Should we head to the couch and crack open the champagne?” Jack asked.

“Sounds like a plan.” Martha replied as they both stood up and headed across to the living room.

Jack opened up the champagne bottle, pouring the contents onto Martha’s glass, then onto his glass.

“Aww you’re such a gentleman” Martha smiled.

“That’s why you married me.” Jack smiled back. Martha giggled.

“Hey, here’s a question.” Jack said. “Do you ever think about what the future? I mean, kids, a bigger house? I mean, I can just imagine the two of us, with a beautiful son or daughter.....”

“Maybe a brother or sister for that child as well” Martha smiled.

“Perhaps we could find a house, situated over a romantic spot.” Jack added.

“With a big backyard....that has a swing set for the kids to play in” Martha commented.

“Plus a hideout, where they can keep Dad and Lucas prisoner when they play Cops and Robbers” Jack suggested. Martha laughed.

“I can’t wait for all that to come true.” Martha smiled. She reached over and picked up her champagne glass.

“Here’s to the future.” Martha said, raising her glass. Jack grabbed his glass.

“To the future” Jack replied.

“CLINK”

+++++

8:30PM

“Rachel?” Nurse Julie called as she left the room. Rachel, Hugo and Charlie stood up from their seats in the corridor of Yabbie Creek Hospital.

“Any news?” a worried Rachel asked.

“Tony’s suffered a mild heart attack.” Julie replied. “It must have been caused from an overload of stress and panic. He’s still weak, but he will be OK.”

“Can we see him?” Hugo asked.

“Maybe just one at a time.” Julie replied. “OK I’ll leave you guys to it.”

“Thanks Julie.” Rachel responded.

“Perhaps you should go in first.” Hugo said to Rachel.

“Thanks.” Rachel replied, as she headed into Tony’s room, softly closing the door behind her.

Rachel pulled up a chair and sat beside her fiancé. She held his hand.

“Tony, it’s me. Everything is gonna be OK now.” Tony slowly opened his eyes and turned his head to see Rachel. He gave her a weak smile.”

“Rach...........where am I.......what happened?”

“You’re in the hospital. You had a mild heart attack, but don’t worry, they’ll take care of you here.” Rachel replied, stroking his hair. “Julie said she will keep you in here tonight for observation.”

“What about Gina? And the boys? Jack? Lucas?” Tony asked.

“They’re all safe.” Rachel replied. “Gina went to see your mum. Jack’s somewhere with Martha and Lucas is still at camp.”

“And Dad? Where is he?” Tony asked. Rachel was trying to think of an answer that will not put him into any more stress.

“Where is he?” Tony asked again.

A few minutes later, Rachel left the room to join Hugo and Charlie in the corridor.

“Rachel, what’s wrong?” Hugo asked. He could tell that Rachel was worried.

“He asked me where Kent was?” Rachel replied.

“What did you say?” Charlie asked.

“I had to lie to him. I had to tell him that the police captured him.” Tears began to form in Rachel’s eyes. “I’m sorry, but all I want is for Tony to get better.” Hugo pulled her into a hug. Charlie sighed.

“Don’t worry, we’ll make sure that they catch him.” Charlie reassured her. She pulled out her mobile.

“Meanwhile I’ll call the station and get Richard to stay here outside Tony’s room tonight, so you have nothing to worry about.”

“Thank you Charlie.” Rachel replied.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Communication Errors)

Leah comes to the rescue when Lucas is stranded outside the school grounds.

Here is the next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 25: COMMUNICATION ERRORS

A new day arises as the dark sky gives way to the vibrant glow of red and orange lights from the sunrise.

6:30AM

Jack and Martha lay together on the couch after a long night of romance and celebration. Jack was the first to wake up, followed by his wife.

“Morning, sleepyhead” Jack told Martha with a smile.

“Morning” Martha replied. “Did we spend the night in here?”

“We sure did!” Jack replied. “Last night was so awesome; we must have fallen asleep on the couch.”

Martha chuckled. “Thanks again for last night. It meant so much to me” she said.

“Anything for you, babe” Jack replied, giving his wife a kiss.

“Listen, I’m going to head off to the Diner for breakfast before work. Wanna come?”

“Sure” Martha replied. Jack got up and headed for the bathroom, while Martha headed to the bedroom to get changed.

+++++

7:00AM

Outside the school grounds, Lucas had just arrived back. Placing his heavy bags down, he grabbed his mobile and began to call his Dad, but was greeted instead with the following:

“Hi, you have reached Tony Holden. Please leave a message after the tone.”

Lucas was confused as to why the call went to voice mail.

“Perhaps his phone is off” he thought, as he began to dial Jack’s mobile.

“Hello, you have reached Jack’s mobile. I can’t take your call right now. Please leave a message.”

Lucas sighed. “Doesn’t anyone turn their phone on?” He then decided to call Jack at home.

“Beep....Beep....Beep”

Lucas was now annoyed. “WHAT DID HE DO? UNPLUG THE PHONE?”

+++++

Rachel was at the Diner. She spent the night worrying about her fiancé she couldn’t get a wink of sleep herself.

“Here, love. This will give you all the strength you need.” Irene said, handing Rachel a plate with hot food.

“Thanks.” Rachel replied. At the same time, Jack and Martha entered. Spotting Rachel near the counter, they headed towards her.

“Hey Rach.” Jack and Martha called out. Rachel turned around.

“Jack, there you are. Where were you? I’ve been trying to call you all night.” Rachel asked.

“Sorry Rach. The phone was unplugged and I left my mobile at work.” Jack replied. “Hey, where’s Dad?”

“That’s why I was trying to call you. He had a heart attack last night.”

“WHAT?” Jack was becoming worried, and so was Martha. “Is he going to be OK?”

“He’s much better now than last night. Luckily the heart attack was only mild. Julie said if all goes well, he may be released as early as this evening.” Rachel replied.

“Oh Thank God.” Martha said.

“What caused Dad to have the heart attack?” Jack asked.

“He’s had a build up of stress.” Rachel replied.

“Why would Dad be stressed? I thought that now Grandad’s in Jail, Dad would put all this behind him and move on.” Rachel looked at Jack, shocked.

“You haven’t heard? Didn’t Charlie tell you?”

Tell me what?” Jack curiously asked.

+++++

Meanwhile, on the road...

7:30AM

“Thanks for picking me up.” Lucas replied. “It seems you’re the only person in Summer Bay who actually keeps a mobile switched on, or a phone plugged in!”

Leah chucked. “No worries”, she replied. “So, how was camp?”

“Actually it wasn’t as bad as I thought.” Lucas smiled. “I seemed to have learnt a lot more about teamwork and self-discipline.”

“Really? Martha tells me you’re just a couch potato at home, and you don’t do any chores.”

“Well, not anymore. Starting today, I’ll be a more responsible person.” Lucas stated.

“That’s good to hear.” Leah smiled.

“So how’s Dad? He was actually supposed to pick me up.” Lucas asked. Leah paused, not sure of what to say.

“Leah, what’s wrong?”

Leah sighed. “I better take you to the hospital.”

+++++

Jack rushed into the station and went towards his desk. Charlie heard him enter the building.

“There you are. I’ve been trying to call you. Your Dad was rushed to hospital last night.” Charlie said.

“Yeah I know. Rachel told me.” Jack replied. He then opened the top drawer on his desk.

“Aha. Found it!” Jack exclaimed, grabbing his mobile phone and switching it on. He then turned his attention back to Charlie.

“Listen Charlie, can I ask you a big favour?”

“No need to ask, Jack. You can have the morning off.” Charlie smiled.

“Thanks.” Jack hastily replied, giving his colleague a big hug. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Hmm I wonder” Charlie replied as Jack ran out of the station.

As Jack got into the car, his mobile began to ring.

“Jack speaking...........Hey Leah.............Oh, thank you so much, I completely forgot about picking up Lucas............I don’t know what I’d do without you. I’d give you a big hug right now, but I already gave it to Charlie.................OK I’m just about to head to the Hospital as well. See you there. Bye.”

+++++

“You’re lucky that I did pick you up. Your brother completely forgot.” Leah said.

“That is so typical of him” Lucas replied, rolling his eyes. Leah laughed.

“Well you can’t blame him, he’s been flat out at the station, you know with the burglary case at the Surf Club, and also trying to catch your Grandfather.” Lucas suddenly interrupted.

“WHAT? MY GRANDFATHER? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Room For One)

Xavier and Ruby argue over a vacant job at the Diner.

Alf finally reopens the Surf Club.

CHAPTER 26: ROOM FOR ONE

8:30AM

“Sorry love, there only room for one.” Irene told Xavier and Ruby.

“Well, I think I should be the one to get the job, seeing as I’m the new guy here” Xavier argued.

“Excuse me. I’m the one who needs the job in order for my big sister to get off my back? Besides, I asked first!” Ruby argued back. The argument between the two teenagers led to a full scale quarrel.

“OK ENOUGH!” Irene yelled. “I don’t want you two scaring the very few customers I have here right now.” Xavier and Ruby backed down, but suddenly, a thought popped into Ruby’s head.

“I have an idea. What about Xavier and I both do some jobs around here and you can judge which one is the better of us?” Irene thought for a second, and then answered.

“Yeah, I suppose we can do that, just as long as you can agree with each other that this is the best idea.”

“Sure” Ruby happily replied.

“Xavier?” Irene asked. Xavier sighed.

“Fine” he replied.

+++++

Jack weaved his way along the corridors of the Hospital. Finally reaching his father’s room, he saw Lucas and Leah sitting outside.

“Oh, Luc. Thank God you’re here. Sorry I couldn’t pick you up.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Lucas replied.

Jack went towards the door and looked through the glass window. He saw his weak father lying on the bed, whilst Rachel sat beside him, with one hand stroking his hair, the other resting gently on her tummy.

“Poor Dad.” Jack sighed. A tear began to fall down his cheek. Lucas got up and put his hand on his brother’s shoulder.

“Don’t cry, Jack. We know Dad’s a strong man. He’ll pull through.” Lucas reassured his big brother.

“I know.” Jack replied, wiping the tear away. Leah got up from her seat.

“Listen, I’m going to grab myself a coffee. Would you boys like some?”

“None for me thanks” Jack replied.

“Same here” Lucas replied. Leah went off along the corridor. Jack and Lucas sat down.

“So, what’s this I hear from Leah about Grandad?” Lucas asked. “Is that true, about what he did to Dad?”

Jack nodded. “Sadly, it’s true.”

“Oh my God” Lucas sighed. “No wonder why Dad would never tell us about him. That’s why he would always change the subject. If only I knew.”

Jack put his arm around his brother. “If only I knew too” he responded. “This is probably the biggest secret that Dad has ever kept, from anyone. It’s just unbelievable, you know, Dad has always treated us as if we were on top of the world. If only Grandad did the same, back when Dad was young” Jack said.

“I just can’t believe he would keep it a secret from us” Lucas replied. “Why couldn’t he just tell us about Grandad?”

“Listen” Jack told his brother. “All that Dad needs right now is our love and support. Can you promise me that you will give that to Dad?”

“I promise.” Lucas responded.

+++++

12:00PM

“Finally, you’re back in business!” Martha told her grandfather, as she walked into the Surf Club.

“And about flamin’ time too!” Alf replied. “I just wish they found the person who did this.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Charlie and the crew will catch whoever’s responsible” Martha reassured her grandad.

“It’s already taken a big blow on my business, not to mention Tony’s gym next door. Speaking of Tony, how is he?”

“Leah called me. She said he’s doing better and he should be released tonight.

“Pretty soon though for someone who’s had a heart attack, isn’t it?” Alf asked

“Well that’s what she told me” Martha replied. “Anyway, Rachel is still there by his side.”

“Well that’s good to hear” Alf said. “Listen love. Could you give me a hand cleaning up at the back?”

At that moment, Hugo arrived through the front doors.

“Hey guys” Hugo yelled out.

“Actually, Grandad, I can’t stay. Sorry. I promised Rachel I’d meet her at the Hospital. Perhaps Hugo can help you.”

“Help with what?” Hugo curiously asked.

“Clean up around the back” Alf informed him. “Vacuum cleaner’s inside the cupboard.”

“Is my mum here?” Hugo asked. Martha looked confused.

“Er......no. Why?”

“Doesn’t matter” Hugo sighed as he headed to the cupboard. “Are you kidding me? Cleaning, again?” he thought to himself.

Martha and Alf looked at each other and laughed.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Panic Stations)

Is Rachel’s baby in danger?

Xavier and Ruby try to sabotage each other’s chances for the job at the Diner.

Hugo stays behind to care for Tony.

CHAPTER 27: PANIC STATIONS

It was now evening again. Xavier and Ruby had begun to battle it out for the job at the Diner.

6:00PM

“This one goes to table four.” Roman said as he handed Ruby a plate of food. “And Xavier, this one’s for table twelve.”

“No problem” Xavier replied as he and Ruby left the kitchen.

“Careful” Irene said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be............." "CRASH

“LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!” Irene screamed, as she looked down and saw a broken plate, as well as a combination of meat, vegetables and gravy scattered all over.”

“I’m very sorry, Irene. I didn’t see the door” Xavier explained.

“Here, take this” Roman said, handing him a bottle of detergent and a cloth.”

“Bucket’s over there” Irene pointed out. Ruby arrived back in the kitchen.

“I heard a crash, what’s happened?” Ruby asked.

“Oh, nothing love, just an unfortunate accident.” Irene answered. Your friend over here didn’t use his eyes to look where he was going.”

“Well, the score is now Ruby 1, Xavier 0.”

“Shut up!” Xavier scoffed

+++++

7:00PM

At the Holden House, Martha, Jack, Lucas, Rachel and Hugo were eating dinner. Hugo was the first to finish his food, hungry after all that cleaning in the Surf Club. Tony lay down, asleep on the couch in the Living room. Martha and Rachel stared at him from the table.

“Look at him. He looks so calm” Martha commented.

“Yeah, well at least Julie allowed him to come home tonight, which is pretty soon for someone who’s just suffered a heart attack, even if it’s only a mild one.” Rachel spoke. “I just hope that he doesn’t get himself worked up again. Seeing him suffer like this, it’s just so heartbreaking, whilst at the same time it makes me angry that his own father would abuse him like that.”

“I still can’t believe it.” Lucas said.

“None of us can” Hugo replied. “Jack, is there any news of Kent’s whereabouts?”

“Not so far” Jack sighed. “Charlie’s still working on the case. He could have gone anywhere.”

“I just hope they catch him soon” Martha said.

Rachel suddenly began to moan in pain.

“RACH, ARE YOU OK?” Martha asked. Jack, Lucas and Martha immediately got up and rushed to Rachel’s side.

“I’m fine, it’s nothing” Rachel replied.

“You don’t look fine. We’d better take you to the hospital.” Jack said.

“No seriously. I’m fine.” Rachel continued to moan in pain, her hand pressed against her tummy.

“No arguments. This could be serious. Let’s go” Jack insisted.

“I’m coming” Martha said.

“Me too” Lucas insisted.

“What about Tony?” Rachel asked.

“Don’t worry Rach. I’ll stay here and take care of him” Hugo replied.

“Thanks Hugo. Let’s go Rach” Jack, Lucas and Martha helped Rachel out the door and into the car.

+++++

Xavier and Ruby were washing the dishes in the Kitchen, while Irene served behind the counter.

“Hey Rubes, can you keep a watch on the pastries in the oven?” Roman asked.

“Sure” Ruby replied.

“Thanks. I just have to head out to make an important phone call. Just make sure they don’t get burnt.”

“No worries” Ruby replied. Roman grabbed his mobile phone and headed out. At that moment, Ruby’s mobile rang.

“Hello………………….hey Annie…………..sorry, can’t hear you; it’s noisy in here. One moment.”

Xavier watched as Ruby headed to the store room next to the kitchen and closed the door behind her.

“OK much better. I can hear you now. So, what’s up?”

Xavier peeked out of the Kitchen into the counter and saw that Irene was busy with a customer. He then went towards the oven and turned the temperature knob to the highest setting.

“The pastries are going to be burnt in no time, and Roman told you to keep an eye on them. Let’s see what he thinks after you left the oven unattended, little miss Rubes!” Xavier said to himself.

Five minutes later:

“So what are you and Jai up to this weekend…………………wow, sounds like fun” Ruby was still in conversation with Annie when suddenly the smoke alarm goes off.

“OH MY GOD, THE PASTRIES!!” Ruby screamed. “Sorry Annie, got to go.” Ruby raced into the Kitchen to see black smoke venting out of the oven door. Hearing the alarm, Irene raced inside and saw the oven.

“WHAT ON EARTH??” Irene yelled.

“WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO?” Ruby panicked.

“TURN IT OFF!!” Irene screamed. Ruby reached over to the control knobs, turning down the temperature knob and switching the oven off. At that second, Roman entered.

“What’s going on……..NO, MY PASTRIES!!” Roman shrieked. “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL PASTRIES?”

“Roman, I’m so, so, so sorry.” Ruby responded.

“I TOLD YOU TO WATCH THEM, NOT BURN THEM!” Roman yelled.

“Again, very sorry.” Ruby replied.

“Perhaps I should give you an easier job. Take these containers to the store room. For the rest of tonight, all you will be doing is stacking up the store room.” Roman noted. Ruby went into the store room with the containers.

“I better head back to the counter” Irene said, as she left the kitchen.

“Well, that’s one point for me” Xavier chuckled to himself. “Now I guess we’re even.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Danger!)

Xavier and Ruby’s battle escalates, leaving Irene and Roman unimpressed.

Gina has some devastating news.

A mistake from Hugo puts Tony in great danger.

CHAPTER 28: DANGER!

8:30PM

“See, I told you its more comfortable lying down in your bed than on the couch.” Hugo said, fixing the pillow comfortably behind his Uncle’s head.

“Thanks” Tony replied. “Where’s Rach?”

“She went with Jack, Martha and Lucas next door.” Hugo lied. He knew that if he had told his uncle his pregnant fiancé was being treated at the hospital, it would cause him to panic again.

“OK, uncle, get some rest. You’ve had a long day today. Goodnight.” Hugo softly said as he headed towards the door, but is stopped when Tony suddenly grabbed onto his arm.

“WHERE ARE YOU GOING? DON’T LEAVE ME, OR ELSE DAD WILL COME AND GET ME AGAIN!” Tony panicked. Hugo looked straight at his uncle and saw the fear in his eyes and the scared expression on his face.

“Shh….don’t be scared, Uncle Tony. I will just be in the living room” Hugo assured his uncle. “I promise you, I will make sure Kent doesn’t come anywhere near you, or anywhere near this house. You have my word”

“You promise?” Tony asked.

“Promise” Hugo replied. Tony released his hand from Hugo’s arm. “Now get some rest. If you need anything, just call out. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight” Tony replied.

Hugo headed back into the living room when suddenly his mobile phone rang.

“Hello………………………..Mum, Hi. How’s Alice Springs……………………hang on, slow down. What’s happened? Why are you crying............................Is it Grandma Brenda?............................Oh My God…………no, it can’t be……………………………..when will you be back?………………………OK I understand…………….bye.”

Hugo sat down on the couch. He was in a state of shock, after hearing the news from Gina that Brenda, his grandmother has just died in hospital.

+++++

“What’s the result?” Rachel asked.

“All clear” Julie smiled. “It was just a false alarm.”

“And the Baby?”

“The Baby’s fine” Julie smiled again. Rachel, Martha, Jack and Lucas thanked her.

“I’ll leave you guys to it.” Julie said as she left the room.

“Thank God, nothing’s wrong with the baby” Lucas commented.

“Yes, thank God!” Rachel replied. “Just think what would happen if Tony found out something’s wrong with his child. It’s bad enough that he has to deal with his criminal father.”

Martha grabbed her hand. “Listen, Rach. There’s nothing wrong with the Baby and that’s the most important thing. Only think of the positive thoughts, just you, Tony and the baby. Once the situation with Kent is all dealt with, everything will be back to normal.”

Rachel sighed. “I really hope so.”

“Excuse me, I have to make a phone call.” Jack said, heading out into the corridor.

+++++

In the store room, Ruby had just finished stacking plates and glasses back on the shelf.

“Hey Rubes, enjoying your new job” Xavier teased.

“Shut up! It’s your fault I got busted by Roman” Ruby argued.

“Excuse me?” Xavier asked.

“No, I won’t excuse you! You turned up the temperature in the oven.”

“No I didn’t” Xavier lied. “What proof do you have that says I did it?”

Ruby became annoyed. “You were the only one in the Kitchen at the time. Irene was at the counter and Roman was outside, so it’s obvious who’s responsible!”

“Well Maybe if you actually did your job by watching the pastries, rather that distract yourself with phone calls, then you would have proof that I turned up the temperature and burned them.” Xavier argued back.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU. I HATE YOU!” Ruby yelled, pushing Xavier against the wall. Suddenly, the shelves in the store room collapsed upon Xavier’s impact, sending all the stacked plates and glasses crashing on the ground.

Irene and Roman came rushing in. Irene gasped after seeing the extensive damage. She was extremely furious.

“LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE! OTHER THEN PULLING A COUPLE OF SHELVES OF MY WALL, YOU JUST BROKE OVER $300 WORTH OF PLATES AND GLASSES.”

“I’m very sorry Irene. “ Xavier said. “If only Ruby didn’t push me in the wall”

“Well if only Xavier didn’t turn up the oven” Ruby argued.

“Don’t listen to her, Irene. She started it.”

“NO, YOU STARTED IT!”

“DID NOT!” Xavier yelled

“DID TOO!” Ruby yelled back. They were both arguing like young kids until Irene snapped.

“THAT’S IT! I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU TWO! FIRST MY PLATE, THEN THE OVEN, AND TO FINISH IT OFF, MORE PLATES – WITH GLASSES!” Irene screamed. “I’M SORRY, BUT THAT’S IT. IT’S OVER!”

“Sorry?” Xavier asked.

“BOTH OF YOU. YOU’RE FIRED!!!”

+++++

On the phone…

“Hey Charlie, it’s Jack. Any news on Kent’s whereabouts?”

“Well, we received a report that Kent was seen fleeing from a park, not too far away from the crash site, in a stolen green BMW. The cops chased him, but lost track of him further North.”

“Are you sure it’s a green BMW?”

“Yes I’m sure” Charlie responded.

“Well I suppose that’s a lead. Now we just have to find that car”

“It’s not that easy. I’ve sent some more officers down there, but since the crash was yesterday, Kent could be anywhere now…..”

“OK, thanks for the update.” Jack hung up the phone. “Where are you, Kent?”

+++++

It was late at night.

10:00PM

Back at the Holden House, Hugo sat at the Dining table, pouring himself a glass of juice when suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“That must be Rachel and the crew.” Hugo thought to himself. He headed to the front door and opened it, but was stunned to see that no one was there.

“Hello, anyone there?” Hugo called out. Receiving no answer, he turned around to go back inside, but all of a sudden:

THUD!

Hugo lay unconscious next to the front door. He was hit, a sharp blow to the head by a plank of wood. Kent appeared from out of the blue.

“Sorry mate, you’re not gonna stop me from getting to my son!” Kent smirked. He then went inside, holding the piece of wood in his hand.

Wandering around the living room, Kent silently murmured. “Come out son, wherever you are.”

The Bedroom door slowly opened. Hearing the door squeak, Kent moved silently and quickly into the kitchen, out of sight. Tony came out of his room.

“Hugo?” Tony called out. “I think I heard someone knocking on the door. It could be Rachel. She left her keys on my bedside……..” Tony stopped suddenly when he saw Hugo on the ground.

“HUGO!” Tony yelled, rushing to his side and shaking him. “HUGO, CAN YOU HEAR ME? WAKE UP, IT’S ME, IT’S UNCLE……….”

THUD!

Kent had swung the plank of wood from behind with full force, hitting his son in the head. Tony fell to the ground, unconscious.

“Hello again, son” Kent smirked “You’re coming with me!” Kent picked up his son and dragged him outside. Placing him in the backseat of the stolen green BMW, Kent climbed in the driver’s seat, started up the engine and drove off into the darkness.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Isolated)

Kent takes Tony to an abandoned warehouse.

Charlie is saddened at not being able to spend time with Roman.

CHAPTER 29: ISOLATED

Back at the station, Charlie and Watson were finishing a conversation.

“Keep me informed about the green BMW. Meanwhile, I’ll send Richard over to Tony’s house to check up on him” Charlie told her colleague.

“No worries” Watson replied, leaving the office.

Charlie sighed as she stared at the photo frame of her and Roman. She wanted to spend some much deserved time with Roman after many nights behind the desk, but at the same time, she knew that she couldn’t rest until Kent was caught, for Tony’s sake. Seeing Richard walk into the station, Charlie called out.

“Richard? Can you come in here please; I have a job for you.”

+++++

10:30PM

Rachel, Jack, Lucas and Martha arrived back at the Holden house when they noticed the front door wide open.

“That’s strange, the front door’s wide open” Rachel commented. As they walked further, they were shocked to see Hugo unconscious, blood pouring from his face from the impact when he hit the ground.

“HUGO!” Jack yelled, shaking his cousin. “CAN YOU HEAR ME?” Hugo slowly regained consciousness.

“What……..what happened?” Hugo weakly spoke. Jack and Martha helped him up. Lucas noticed the blood on his face.

“You’re bleeding.” Lucas noted. “I’ll get some ice.” Lucas and Rachel went inside. Jack and Martha followed behind, whilst holding on to Hugo.

Noticing the couch was empty, Rachel began to worry. “Where’s Tony?”

“He’s asleep in his room” Hugo replied. Rachel opened the bedroom door and peeked inside, only to find an empty bed. She then checked the bathroom, but there was no-one inside.

“He’s not here!” Rachel said. She began to panic. Hugo stumbled into the bedroom.

“Where could he be?” Martha asked.

“Hang on, that’s impossible!” Hugo said. “He went to his room, I was in here, and then someone knocked on the door and the next minute I was knocked on the…………..OH MY GOD!” Hugo gasped. Jack, Lucas, Martha and Rachel began to worry.

“You don’t think…………OH MY GOD, IT WAS KENT! IT MUST HAVE BEEN!” Hugo panicked.

“WHAT? ARE YOU SAYING DAD WAS KIDNAPPED?” Lucas yelled.

“OH MY GOD!.....................NO…………….THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!” Rachel cried. Martha hugged her tightly while Lucas began to cry.

Constable Richard Dean appeared at the front door.

“Hey Jack” the constable spoke. “Charlie asked me to check up on you guys and…………..what’s going on?

“Richard, if only you were here sooner!” Jack replied.

“What do you mean? What’s happened?” Richard asked.

“Tony’s gone missing. We think he was Kidnapped!” Martha said.

“What? What makes you think that?”

“We have every reason to believe that Kent was here.” Jack replied. “All of us were out, except for my cousin Hugo over here, who stayed behind to watch Dad. When we came back, we found Hugo knocked out near the door. The next minute, we discover that Dad isn’t here.”

“OK I better let Charlie know at the station.” Richard said, taking his mobile out.

“Please hurry!” Jack yelled out.

Rachel was now panicking. “OH MY GOD!……….TONY!...............PLEASE, TELL ME THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!”

“Shh….calm down. Everything’s gonna be OK” Martha replied. Rachel began to snap.

“HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT, MARTHA?” Rachel screamed. “KENT IS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE, AND HE NOW HAS TONY WITH HIM? WHERE ON EARTH COULD HE BE?”

Xavier walked in after his disastrous trial at the Diner.

“Hey I just saw a police car outside. What’s going on?” Xavier asked, looking concerned.

+++++

Meanwhile, in an abandoned warehouse:

Kent dragged Tony, who was still unconscious, onto a wooden chair. Finding some rope lying around, he bound up his son, tying his hands, arms and legs firmly to the seat. Grabbing another chair, Kent placed it on the opposite end, facing Tony, and sat down. The room was large but dark, only lit by a suspended globe hovering above them. Very few items were inside, other then a couple of other chairs, a few rags and an old petrol can, still full with petrol.

About a minute later, Tony began to slowly wake up.

“Oww, my head!” Tony moaned silently. He then realised his hands and legs were tied up to the chair.

“What the…….” Tony looked up and saw his father sitting in front of him. Tony gasped as he realised his worst fears had come true.

“Hello again son. I’m back!” Kent smirked.

“NO!” Tony yelled. He began to struggle to free himself, but to no avail. “HELP!!..........HELP!!”

“Don’t bother yelling, son” Kent laughed. “No one can hear you.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Guilt and Anger)

Lucas launches an attack on Hugo.

Rachel is left with further distress.

Only a short chapter. Sorry :wink:

CHAPTER WARNING: (Small amount of) violence present in this chapter.

CHAPTER 30: GUILT AND ANGER

At the Holden House, Rachel was seated at the Dining table, with Martha comforting her. Jack was outside talking to Richard, whilst Lucas, Hugo and Xavier were seated on the couch.

10:45PM

“Better now?” Xavier asked, removing the ice pack he held against his brother’s head.

“I’m fine, thanks” Hugo softly replied.

Rachel and Martha watched Jack walk back inside.

“Any news?” Rachel asked.

“Charlie’s sending more patrol cars to search for the stolen BMW, and more police cars are coming to patrol around the bay, but so far Dad hasn’t been found.

Martha sighed. “Well at least there’s more officers. They’ll find him in no time.”

Rachel continued to cry. “Tony, where are you?” Martha reached in to hug her. Seeing Rachel upset, Hugo started to cry himself. Xavier put his hand on his brother’s shoulder.

“Don’t worry, bro. You heard Martha. They will find Uncle Tony.” Xavier said.

Hugo was in tears. “It’s my fault!”

“What do you mean?” Xavier asked.

“Uncle Tony’s been Kidnapped, and it’s all my fault” Hugo cried. “I promised him that I would make sure Kent didn’t come anywhere near him, but obviously I failed.” Hugo placed his head in his hands.

“Don’t think like that!” Xavier said. “It’s not your fault. The only person to blame here is Kent.”

Lucas suddenly got up from his seat and punched Hugo in the face. Jack rushed over and held Lucas back.

“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?” Hugo yelled.

“YOU WERE RIGHT HUGO, IT IS YOUR FAULT!” Lucas cried. “DAD WOULDN’T BE MISSING IF IT WASN’T FOR YOU!”

“LUCAS, STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW!” Jack commanded. Xavier stood up.

“DON’T YOU DARE BLAME MY BROTHER, LUCAS!” Xavier scowled. “IT WAS NOT HIS FAULT.”

“THEN WHOSE FAULT WAS IT?” Lucas screamed. “IF HE CHECKED WHO WAS AT THE DOOR FIRST, INSTEAD OF OPENING IT TO EVERY STRANGER WHO WALKS IN, DAD WOULD BE HERE!”

Xavier pushed his cousin. “JUST GET OUT OF HERE!” he demanded. Lucas pushed him back. The boys began to fight and yell at each other.

“JUST STOP IT, NOW!!” Rachel yelled. Overcome with emotion, Rachel headed to the bedroom and slammed the door.

“I’m so sorry. I just……….” Xavier said. Martha interrupted him.

“LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE TO RACHEL! YOU TWO SHOULD BE ASHAMED AT YOURSELVES!” Martha scowled as she headed to comfort Rachel in the bedroom. Lucas stared furiously at Hugo.

“I HOPE YOU’RE HAPPY NOW!” Lucas yelled. Grabbing Jack’s arm out of his grip, he stormed out of the house.

Jack and Xavier sat on the couch beside him. Jack placed his hand on Hugo’s shoulder.

“I’m very sorry, Hugo.” Jack said. “Don’t listen to Lucas, OK? I know it’s not your fault.”

Hugo looked at Jack. “Are you kidding me? Of course Lucas is right. It IS my fault!” Overcome with exhaustion and grief, Hugo buried his head again in his hands. Jack, who was in tears himself, pulled his distraught cousin into a tight hug.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Bruised And Bleeding)

Roman lashes out at Charlie.

The reason behind Kent’s violent past is revealed, whilst an argument leaves Tony injured.

Thanks for the comment Scotcaz22 - glad to hear you're liking this fic.

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER WARNING: (Medium level of) violence present in this chapter. (Although I rated this fic as 'T/A', this chapter may possibly be more suited for an 'A' audience, just to be on the safe side.)

CHAPTER 31: BRUISED AND BLEEDING

11:00PM

Charlie was about to leave the office in order to help with the search when suddenly the phone rang.

“Charlie Buckton speaking”.

“Hey babe, it’s me.” Roman replied.

“Roman, you’re calling at the wrong time. We have a MAJOR case here.”

“You’re always busy. And whatever case you’re working on, I’m sure it can wait until tomorrow. Come home.” Roman said.

“No, Roman I can’t. This is serious, I must stay here!” Charlie replied. Roman was getting annoyed.

“WHY? Ever since you were promoted, I never get to see you anymore. What could be so important, that you…….” Roman was interrupted.

“Look, you don’t understand.” Charlie said.

“WELL MAKE ME UNDERSTAND!” Roman shouted.

“KENT ESCAPED, AND NOW TONY HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED!!” Charlie yelled.

“WHAT?” Roman yelled. He was shocked to hear his friend was kidnapped. But before he had a chance to speak, Charlie had already hung up.

Leah and Irene, who were closing up the Diner raced into the kitchen when they heard Roman yelling.

“What’s the matter now? Irene asked. “Don’t tell me something else is broken, after what happened earlier.”

“No no, it’s not that” Roman replied. “I just spoke to Charlie. Kent managed to escape, and now Tony’s been kidnapped.”

“WHAT?” Leah yelled.

“OH MY GOD!” Irene replied.

“POOR TONY………………..WHAT ABOUT RACHEL? IS SHE OK?” Leah asked.

“Charlie didn’t say.” Roman replied, “But I’m assuming obviously she isn’t coping at all.”

“WELL WE’D BETTER GO OVER THERE!” Irene responded.

“Yeah, good idea” Leah replied. The ladies quickly grabbed their bags from the counter and headed outside. Roman followed behind them, switching off the lights and locking up the doors.

+++++

“Now, you’re going to listen to every word I say, and this time I mean it!” Kent scowled. Tony was still struggling desperately to free himself from the ropes, but failed on each attempt.

Kent got up from his seat and started pacing around the room.

“Remember when you were young, back in Alice Springs? Your mother kept spoiling you with gifts and she treated you as if you were some sort of King? Do you realise what she was doing to you? She ruined you! She did not give you discipline and responsibility. You never learned anything because of her! That’s why I stood up and took control over you. I was the one who taught you from right and wrong. I was the one who gave you strict morals and a lesson in responsibility. It was too late for your sister, but it wasn’t too late for you. Don’t you realise it yet now? I was the one who brought you up correctly!”

“NO! DRINKING WAS THE CAUSE OF WHAT YOU DID!” Tony yelled.

Kent laughed at his son. “You know that’s not true. I believe that I raised you up correctly, unlike your mother.” Kent looked up towards the ceiling and smiled. “But now that your mother’s out of the picture….”

“WHAT DID YOU DO? WHAT DID YOU DO TO MUM?” Tony yelled. “YOU BETTER NOT HAVE HURT HER, OR ELSE….”

“Or else what?” Kent asked. “What are you gonna do? You haven’t forgotten that now you’re stuck with me and your mother will never come in between us again.” Tony began to struggle again.

“LET ME GO! UNTIE ME RIGHT NOW!” he demanded.

Kent laughed. “You know I can’t do that.” Tony was out of control.

“I HATE YOU!” Tony screamed. “I HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU’VE DONE. I WAS ACTUALLY GLAD THAT MUM CAME TO HER SENSES AND THOUGHT ABOUT THE DIVORCE.” Kent stared at Tony straight in the face.

“I HOPE MUM GOES THROUGH WITH IT BECAUSE SHE DOESN’T DESERVE A DRUNK, LIKE YOU!”

Kent got angry after hearing what his son just called him.

“YOU BETTER WATCH WHAT YOU’RE SAYING, SON!” Tony ignored him and continued on.

“Mum was a better parent than you ever were. She did not rely on drinking. She did not hurt me. She treated me with love and respect, just like any loving parent.” Tony began to raise his voice in anger. “YOU NEVER TREATED ME WITH RESPECT! IN FACT, YOU NEVER TREATED ANYONE WITH RESPECT!”

Kent became furious. “YOU SHUT UP RIGHT NOW!” Tony scoffed at his comment.

“Why? Afraid to hear the truth?” Tony laughed. “All you ever were was a drunk, and you always will be!”

Enraged, Kent raised his fist and punched his son in the face. Tony, defenceless as his arms were tied felt the full blow of the punch. His head jolted back, then flung forward. Blood began to pour down from his nose. Kent then grabbed his son by the shirt.

“WE CAN DO THIS THE EASY WAY, OR THE HARD WAY. WHAT’S IT GONNA BE, SON?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Threats)

Kent makes an unthinkable threat.

Irene, Leah and Roman offer their support to Rachel and Jack.

Richard makes a discovery.

Archived