My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

OK, it's finally done :)

CHAPTER 102: THE MARATHON - PART 2

At the Beach, Annie, Jai, Ruby and Xavier sat together on the sand, waiting near the finish line. They saw Lucas and Nicole coming up towards them.

1:10PM

“Hey, has it started?” Jai asked.

“Yep, just ten minutes ago” Lucas replied. “That means they’ll all be here at the finish line in about an hour or so.”

“That’s right” Nicole said. “And guess who’ll we see first?”

“Geoff?” Annie said.

“No, not Geoff” Nicole replied. “My Dad will get here first and will win the trophy!”

“No Nic, you’ve got it wrong” Lucas said. “It’s going to be MY Dad………..or even my brother!”

“Whatever you say, Holden” Nicole rolled her eyes. “Hope you brought your fifty dollars.”

“Hang on” Ruby interrupted. “Fifty dollars?”

“Are you guys saying that you made a bet on who will win the Marathon?” Jai asked.

“er……yeah we did” Lucas replied. Xavier burst out laughing.

“What?”

“I’m sorry” Xavier chuckled. “You two are such idiots. This whole betting thing is so lame. It’s just a marathon. Everyone’s getting a medal whether you’re first or not. Does it really matter who wins?”

“YES!” Lucas yelled out. “For the sake of my wallet, it does matter who wins!”

“What about if none of them are first?” Annie asked.

“What?...........Annie, someone has to be first” Xavier replied. “The runners aren’t gonna go around in circles forever.”

“No, I mean, what if Roman, or Tony, or Jack don’t get first, and someone else does? What happens to the fifty dollars?”

“Then, it’s whoever is the closest to first place” Lucas replied.

“Now just wait one minute, there’s something else that’s not right” Ruby interrupted. “Luc, you’ve got your brother and your father up against Roman. That’s two against one. How is that fair to place a bet?”

“Don’t worry Rubes” Nicole replied. “It doesn’t matter. My Dad did so much training, I don’t have to worry at all about losing money. In fact, I bought myself a new purse to fit more money in.” Taking it out from her bag, Nicole handed it over to Ruby.

“Wow, it’s so shiny. Looks very funky!” Ruby smiled.

“Thanks” Nicole replied. “I brought it with me, so that I can put Luc’s fifty dollars in it.”

“For the last time Nic, you’re not getting fifty dollars. My family will win!” Lucas argued.

+++++

Nearby at the Diner, Irene and Leah were hastily preparing hundreds of sandwiches and biscuits to give to the runners at the finish line.

“Do you think we’ll be finish on time?” Irene asked, while pacing quickly up and down the kitchen with trays of food.

“There’s another hundred sandwiches to make, and I have to get the salad ready!” Leah panicked.

“Well love, let’s keep an eye out and pull the first person in and get them to help us!” Irene suggested.

Outside, Charlie and Richard sat at a table, having their late lunch. Richard was staring out at the beach.

“Richard?” Charlie called out, snapping Richard out of his daydream. “Are you OK? What’s up?”

“I just can’t help but think…..”

“Think about what?” Charlie said.

“Do you think we’ve been too hard on Warren?” Richard asked. “I know that he’s not OK with us, but despite that, he’s still my brother.

“Why do you bring that up now?” Charlie asked.

“Well” Richard continued. “When Mum died and Dad was too ill to take care of us when we were young, Warren was the one who looked out for me and Frances. He failed to get an offer at University because he did so poorly at the HSC because he concentrated more on his job as a labourer, just to earn money for us to live.”

“But he hates us” Charlie replied. “Do you think we should really forgive him this soon?”

“I don’t know what to do” Richard said. “Maybe I should talk to him. I guess the reason behind why he’s so overprotective of me is that he’s lived with all the responsibility and he felt like he failed after my disastrous engagement with Jill, then again with Tina. He just doesn’t want me to get hurt again.”

“But how are you gonna talk to him again?” Charlie asked. “It’s not like he’s forgotten about what happened at the station the other day.”

“I know that, but I have to find some way” Richard insisted.

Colleen and Warren were coming up nearby. Warren looked around and spotted his brother and Charlie sitting outside. Noticing his brother, Richard slowly stood up, holding his chair for support.

“Warren, can we talk, please?”

“Colleen, let me walk you in” Warren smiled.

“er….that’s nice of you, but don’t you want to talk to your brother?”

“Don’t worry about him” Warren whispered.

“Colleen!” Irene exclaimed. “What brings you here?”

“Ladies, we’re back in business!” Warren smiled.

“You mean…….?”

“Colleen Smart’s back on the job!” Colleen squealed.

“That’s great news!” Leah replied. “Come and put your apron on. We have another hundred sandwiches to make.”

“WHAT?” Colleen and Warren gasped.

+++++

The crowd of locals gathered further down the road, halfway between Yabbie Creek and Summer Bay in wait to cheer on the two hundred participants. The section of the road was the challenging part of the Yabbie Creek Marathon – the road was going slowly uphill, then steeply downhill at the other end. Around them on both sides of the road were a number of large trees, giving the environment a forest-like setting.

1:30PM

“I keep telling you, it looks…….weird!” Gina said, commenting on her ‘Team Holden’ shirt. “Martha, Rachel and Uncle Andrew were lucky enough to get outta here!”

“Gina, they’re just on their way to the Diner to wait near the finish line.” Jeremy reminded her. Suddenly a quick flash shone on Gina’s eyes.

“Brendan, stop taking pictures of me!” Gina ordered. “I swear, if you or Xavier put that picture of me with this silly ‘Team Holden’ shirt on Facebook or something, I’ll stop with the pocket money.”

“Don’t worry champ, I’ll give you the pocket money” Jeremy giggled.

“No you will not!” Gina sternly replied.

“OK I’m sorry” Jeremy raised his hands up in defence.

“I’m sorry Ms Austin” Belle apologized. “Come on Brendan, why don’t we head over to the guys at the beach and we can take more pictures near the finish line?”

“OK” Brendan replied. “Brendan’s keeping the picture of Mum!”

“Brendan!” Gina squealed. Both were interrupted when the crowd started to yell and roar as the runners were coming up past them.

“Here they come!” Belle cheered.

“Who’s that in front?” Jeremy asked.

“It looks like Jack” Gina replied. “I wonder where Tony is?”

Jack was indeed in first place. Tony and Roman were not far behind.

“What’s the matter Dad?” Jack called out. “Too old?”

“Yeah, we’ll see about that” Tony yelled.

“Well, we’ve got Aden out of the way, he’s too far behind” Roman said, quickly looking back to check. “Looks like it’s just the three of us and Geoff!”

“Not Geoff” Tony replied. “I looked back and he’s a lot further behind than Aden. So it’s just the three of us.”

“I am gonna win this!” Roman said.

“Sure, running like a ten year old girl, you’re gonna win this!” Tony teased.

“Watch out Roman, we’re going downhill” Jack yelled out. “I don’t think girls can handle that!”

“I can so handle that!” Roman yelled. “Just watch! I’m telling you boys, I will win today. Nothing’s gonna stop……….” Suddenly, a large branch from a tree fell down on the road. Unable to stop, Roman tripped over the branch and fell, rolling down the hill and slamming his head on the tough cement.

“ROMAN!” Tony yelled, running up towards him. Jack looked back and saw Roman unconscious on the road and ran towards him. Squatting next to him, Tony and Jack rolled him over.

“Oh God!” Jack gasped. Blood had covered Roman’s face. Tony saw a deep wound behind his head.

“He’s hit his head real bad.”

“Roman, can you hear me?” Jack yelled. Looking up, he saw the paramedics running towards them.

“Over here!”

+++++

1:40PM

Back at the Diner, Irene, Leah, Colleen and Warren were busy with the food. Andrew, Martha and Rachel sat inside near the counter.

“Come on Warren, I’m sure you can do better than that. We have approximately only fifteen minutes or so, then we have to take it down to the Beach” Irene said, noticing how slowly her colleague was spreading the topping over the slices of bread.

“I’m sorry Irene, I’m not in the greatest mood.” Warren mumbled. Hearing the phone ring in the kitchen, Warren went over to answer it.

Pier Diner, Warren speaking………………….yes, we did……………..what sort of problem?...................................OK, I’ll be there in 15 minutes. Bye.”

“You’re going out?” Irene asked. “You can’t go out. We still have a lot to do!”

“Irene, remember the containers of fish we ordered?” Warren said. “That was Neil our supplier from North Valley. He said there was a problem with something. I have to head over there and sort it out.”

“Can’t it wait ‘til tomorrow?” Irene asked, annoyed.

“Unfortunately it can’t, sorry Irene.”

“But we need help in here.”

“We can help if you want” Andrew said, overhearing the discussion.

“Are you sure?”

“No problem” Martha replied. “Just as long as we get to the beach in time before everyone arrives.”

“Oh, thank you so much guys” Warren blew a sigh of relief. “I’ll see you guys later.”

As Warren headed out the door, Richard and Charlie entered inside.

“Warren, can I please……….” Richard stopped as his brother continued walking out. “Look at that Charlie, he won’t even talk to me!”

“Give him some time” Charlie replied. “He’s angry at us, he’ll forget about it eventually.”

“Charlie, this is my brother we’re talking about” Richard said. “He’ll never forget about it.”

Inside the Kitchen…

“Leah, focus!” Irene yelled.

“Sorry” Leah apologized. Rachel stared at her.

“You OK, Leah?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Dreaming about your boyfriend again, are we?” Irene teased.

“Wow, so you and Hugo are that serious?” Rachel giggled.

“OK, OK” Leah confessed. “Hugo and I are…………together and before you say anything, no, it’s not a fling or a one-time thing. It’s the real deal!”

“So……..where’s he been taking you?”

“Well, the other night we had a nice meal at Pizza Hut in Yabbie Creek?”

“Pizza Hut?” Martha said.

“Wow, some guy you have!” Irene replied.

“Hey!” Leah exclaimed. “It’s not my fault his diving business is down.”

“Maybe when it goes back up again, Hugo could take you to that new Greek Restaurant in North Valley.” Colleen suggested.

“There’s a Greek restaurant there?”

“Yes there is” Colleen replied. “In fact, me and my lawn bowls team went there for dinner last night and may I say it was fantastic!”

“Thanks Colleen, I’ll make sure Hugo takes me there. He can pay” Leah chuckled.

Suddenly, a mobile phone rang. Realizing it was her phone, Rachel took it out of her bag and answered the call.

“Hello………………………..Hi Jeremy, how’s the Marathon going?............”

+++++

1:45PM

“According to my watch, if the Marathon began at 1:00PM and the route is approximately 15 kilometres long and if the average runner can make about 250 metres per minute, they should be here in about fifteen minutes” Jai calculated.

“Jeez, what a geek!” Xavier whispered to Ruby.

“I heard that” Annie exclaimed. “But it’s true Jai, you are a geek!”

“Thanks” Jai replied, assuming it was a friendly compliment.

“Hey, there’s Belle and Brendan” Lucas pointed out as they saw the pair heading towards them.

“Hey guys” Belle called out.

“Hey” Xavier replied. “Bandicoot, did you behave?”

“Brendan behaved!” Brendan replied.

“Good man” Xavier smiled.

“And” Belle added. “He found my camera. Check out the pics.” Sitting down with the teens, Belle flicked through the shots that were taken by Brendan.

“Hang on, go back one picture” Xavier said. “Why is Mum wearing a ‘Team Holden’ shirt?”

“Oh” Belle replied. “Your Mum asked me to delete that one.”

“Wait” Xavier ordered. “Keep that one. It might come in handy.”

“In what way?” Nicole asked.

“I can get a copy of that and show it to Mum and say to her; Mum, if you don’t want this picture to circulate to all my friends on Facebook, you’ve gotta get me an iPhone!

“Oh my God, you are so lame. Get your own!” Belle replied, punching him on the arm.

“Oww that hurt” Xavier moaned.

“Good!” Belle smiled.

“NIC!” a voice yelled out. The teens looked over and saw Charlie running towards them.

“Hey Charlie, what’s up?”

“There’s been an accident.”

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Gathering)

Everyone gathers around to hear Rachel and Dr. Winston deliver Roman’s diagnosis. Will he survive?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a big dramatic chapter :o

CHAPTER 103: GATHERING

2:00PM

“RACHEL, WHERE’S DAD?” Nicole hastily asked as she ran inside the hospital with Lucas and Charlie chasing behind.

“Nic” Rachel exclaimed, turning around to see the panicked teenager standing before her. “Listen, your Dad…..”

“I want to see him, please” Nicole begged, close to tears.

“OK, just calm down…….take a nice deep…..”

“Please, Rachel” Nicole interrupted. “Take me in.” After a moment of hesitation, Rachel placed her hand on Nicole’s shoulder.

“Come this way.”

Sitting on the chairs on the opposite end of the corridor, Aden, Jack, Jeremy and Tony watched on.

“Poor Nic” Aden whispered.

“All we can hope is that Roman will get better” Tony replied. Jeremy looked over and saw Jack was visibly upset.

“Jack?”

“Do you think it’s our fault?” Jack whispered.

“What do you mean?” Tony asked.

“All this stupid rivalry about who’s gonna win the marathon” Jack replied. “Do you think we’ve pushed Roman too far?”

“Hey” Aden replied, placing his hand on Jack’s shoulder. “Don’t blame yourself for this.”

“What are you talking about?” Tony interrupted. “Of course we’re all to blame for this.”

“What?” Jeremy asked.

“We teased Roman into thinking he can’t win, so he pushed himself to the limit, and when he did, he tripped over, rolled down the hill and smashed his head.” Tony replied. “We all pushed each other, and now look what’s happened!”

“No one’s at fault here” Jeremy said. “I saw what happened. It was a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. If someone is to blame, it’s the people in charge of the event. They should’ve checked the route and chosen one where there are no falling branches as a hazard.”

“Mr. Austin’s right” Aden added. “What we did……..it was just a bit of fun. We never intended to hurt anyone, including Roman.”

“Just pray he’s gonna get out of this” Jack whispered.

A couple of minutes later, Rachel and Dr. Jim Winston came out of Roman’s room towards the boys.

“Rach, how is he?” Tony asked. He then noticed the sad look on his fiance’s face.

“Rach?”

“Oh God Rach……..please don’t say…….” Jack whispered.

“It’s not good news” Rachel replied.

“Why? How is he?” Aden asked.

“Roman’s taken a massive blow to his head” Jim explained. “And it’s so severe, that he’s suffered extensive brain damage. He is currently listed in a very critical condition.”

“He’s in a coma” Rachel said. “But…….”

“But?” Tony said.

“But it’s most likely that………..that…..” Rachel was struggling to find the right words to explain. “Jim?”

“It’s likely that Roman will never recover, and he may not be able to hold on by the end of the day.”

“Hold on?” Jack whispered in a mixture of shock and sadness. “You mean……..” Jim nodded.

“That’s right, Jack, he may not make it. I’m very sorry.”

“My God!” Aden gasped quietly. After a moment of silence, Jeremy began to speak.

“How’s Nicole taking this?”

“She’s really distraught” Rachel replied. “Luc and Nurse Julie are with her now.

“This is gonna be so devastating for her” Tony whispered. At that moment, Rachel placed her hand onto her tummy.

"Rach, are you OK?"

"I'm fine, it's nothing."

"Are you sure it's nothing?" Tony asked, worried.

"I'm fine, trust me" Rachel replied. "I better go back inside with Julie."

+++++

Meanwhile inside the Diner.....

“How bad?” Irene asked. She, along with Leah, Colleen, Martha, Andrew and Richard gathered around the counter listening to Gina.

“It wasn’t good” Gina replied. “It was windy where we were and a large branch fell from a tree on the road, just as it was going downhill. Roman couldn’t stop or avoid it in time and he tripped and rolled down the hill and he hit his head on the gravel at the bottom.”

“Oh my goodness” Colleen whispered. “I better ring Alf and let him know what’s happened. Entering the kitchen, she picked up the phone and dialed some numbers.

“All we know is that Charlie and Rachel ran out, saying that there was an accident” Richard said. “I never knew it was this bad.”

“So what happened next?” Martha asked.

“Jack and Tony ran towards him to help him, then the paramedics came soon after and took him in. That’s all I know” Gina replied. “Jeremy’s with the others at the hospital.”

Outside, Hugo, who had just arrived, sat with his brothers and Belle, checking out the photos from Belle’s camera.

“Awesome photos” Hugo smiled. “You’re a real amateur, Brendan!”

“Brendan’s an amateur!” Brendan cheered.

“I bet you don’t know what amateur means.” Hugo laughed.

“Brendan doesn’t know” Brendan giggled.

“I know they’re nice photos Bandicoot” Xavier replied. “But what are we gonna do? With Roman’s accident, do you think it’s a good idea for them to be released to the press?”

“I don’t know” Belle replied. “We’ll have to wait until we know what’s going on at the hospital.”

“Hold on a second” Hugo interrupted. “What accident?”

“You haven’t heard?” Belle replied. “Roman injured himself, bad, at the marathon.”

“What?......how bad?”

“Mum said it looked bad” Xavier replied. “Aunt Rachel is treating him at the moment.”

“I hope it’s not serious” Hugo commented. He then turned his attention back to the camera screen and saw Brendan’s picture of Gina with her ‘Team Holden’ shirt.

“Wow, you took a picture of Mum with that shirt?”

“Brendan’s gonna put it on Facebook!” Brendan laughed. Xavier chuckled.

“You two are gonna be in so much trouble when Mum finds out and……………..hang on Brendan, since when did you start using Facebook?”

“Since I opened one up for him……..three years ago” Xavier replied.

REALLY!” Hugo exclaimed. “THREE YEARS AGO…………………..hey, can you add me as a friend?”

“Now why should we do that?” Xavier asked.

“I’m trying to beat the total number of friends that Leah has on her account” Hugo explained.

“How many does Leah have?” Belle asked.

“She has 985” Hugo replied. “You know, she’s Greek. Plenty of family and friends there!”

“And how many do you have?” Xavier asked. Hugo paused for a moment.

“I…….I rather not say.”

“Come on, tell us.” Xavier said, jokingly punching his eldest brother in the arm. “We won’t laugh. Promise.”

“Five” Hugo hesitantly replied. Belle, Brendan and Lucas burst out in laughter.

“You promised you wouldn’t laugh!”

“OK” Belle chuckled. “But five?........seriously?”

“Hey, don’t laugh!” Hugo said. “I run a diving business. I don’t use the computer a lot, nor do I have a lot of time for it!”

“Brendan has more friends than that!” Brendan laughed.

“Who do you have?” Xavier asked.

“I’ve got Leah, Uncle Tony, Aunt Rachel, Luc and Jack and Martha have one account together” Hugo replied. How many do you have Brendan?”

“Brendan has 200 friends!”

“WHAT? TWO HUNDRED? HOW?”

+++++

Back inside the Hospital, Tony, Jack and Lucas gathered together, while Charlie, Aden and Jeremy went outside to grab a coffee.

3:00PM

“What are we gonna do?” Jack asked, still shocked at the diagnosis that Rachel and Dr. Winston had mentioned.

“There’s nothing we can do” Tony whispered. “We can only hope that by some slight miracle that Roman will come out of this OK.”

“I went in there with Nic” Lucas replied. “He looked real bad. Do you think he’ll get through?”

“Rach says that the chances are really slim, and if………..”

“JUST STOP IT JACK!” Tony snapped.

“Dad?”

“NO JACK, WE CAN’T KEEP THINKING ABOUT ALL THE NEGATIVES!”

“But Rach said……” Lucas was interrupted.

“Yeah I know what Rach said” Tony replied. “I’m not saying that Rach is wrong, but don’t you think there’s still at least a tiny glimmer of hope that Roman will make it?”

“I’m sorry Dad” Jack apologized. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I know that Roman is a great mate of yours.”

“He is………he is” Tony replied. He was now struggling to speak as tears slowly formed in his eyes. “He stood by me after that hell I went through when your grandfather came here. I owe him a lot.”

“Dad” Jack whispered, as he pulled his father into a hug. “You know what, you’re right. We can only think positive thoughts. It’s not over until they say it is.”

At that moment, the silence of the corridor was filled with loud wailing as Nicole came out of Roman’s room, with Julie holding onto her, trying to calm the distraught teenager.

“Nic?” Lucas whispered, rushing over towards her. A moment later, Rachel emerged out of the room and slowly headed towards Jack and Tony.

“Rach?” Jack asked. “What’s going on?” Both watched as Rachel slowly shook her head.

“I’m sorry” Rachel whispered. “We tried everything we could.”

“So……Roman’s…………..”

“He passed away five minutes ago” Rachel whispered.

“Oh my God!” Jack whispered. He turned to face his father, who froze in shock, staring directly at Rachel. Suddenly they heard footsteps coming towards them. Jack and Tony looked up to their left and saw Gina, Irene, Colleen, Alf, Martha and Andrew standing in front of them, as well as Aden, Charlie and Jeremy who had just returned inside.

“Rach, how’s Roman, is he alright?” Irene asked. Staring at Rachel, it took them only a matter of seconds to realize that Roman was gone – Summer Bay has lost their friend.

+++++

A couple of hours later as evening came across Summer Bay…

6:00PM

“Come in” Richard called out, as he heard a knock on the front door of his apartment. Charlie entered inside.

“Charlie!” Richard exclaimed. “I……..I thought you were just gonna stay at home with Leah.”

“I’m…….I’m sorry” Charlie replied, bursting into tears. Rushing over to her colleague, she hugged him tightly.

“Shh……it’s OK” Richard whispered, kissing her on the forehead. “I know Roman was your ex, but……..you still cared for him, right?”

“I did” Charlie whispered. “He may not have been the biggest saint I know of, but……he was still my friend.” Charlie turned around when she felt another hug from behind.

“Oh Billy” Charlie smiled, hugging him. “You’re a sweet little boy, aren’t you? Just like your Dad.”

“Hey” Richard whispered. “Would you like to stay here with us for Dinner? It’s been a long, hard day. You should get something to eat.”

“I…….I would like that, thanks” Charlie replied.

+++++

Inside Irene’s house, Aden and Belle lay in the darkness inside their bedroom.

“Aden, you awake?” Belle whispered.

“I can’t sleep” Aden replied. “I just can’t stop thinking about Roman.”

“It’s unbelievable, isn’t it?” Belle said. “I think I speak for everyone in the Bay when I say this was the last thing that we ever expected to happen today.”

“That’s right” Aden responded. “I can’t stop thinking about Nic also. She must be shattered, losing her Dad like that.”

“Gina and Luc stayed behind at the hospital with her. They’ll look after her” Belle whispered. Aden rolled around to face his girlfriend.

“Belle, there’s one thing I need you to promise me.”

“What’s that?” Belle asked.

“Please promise me that you’ll never leave me” Aden whispered. “Nic’s already lost someone she loves. I don’t ever wanna lose you.”

“I can never dream of leaving you” Belle replied. “I love you, Aden” Both leaned forward, giving each other a kiss.

+++++

At the Caravan Park House, Alf and Andrew were in the Kitchen preparing tea and sandwiches, whilst Colleen, Jack, Jeremy, Irene, Martha, Rachel and Tony sat at the Dining table, each of them silent. After a few moments, Rachel stood up from her seat.

“You OK, Rach?” Tony asked.

“I……I just need to go to the bathroom” Rachel replied. “Excuse me.”

Nearby, Brendan, Hugo and Xavier were using the computer.

“Yes! Graham Johnston accepted my friend request.” Hugo said as he navigated around his Facebook page. “That brings my total number of friends to twenty.”

“Who’s Graham Johnston?” Xavier asked.

“Graham is one of my regular diving customers” Hugo explained. He then suddenly had a thought. “Hey, you know what? I should use my account to advertise the Diving business. Then, when people add me as a friend, I can offer them things like discounts or exclusive Diving areas to explore. That’ll bring my business up!”

“That’s a great Idea” Xavier smiled.

“If this works, I’ll beat Leah’s numbers in no time!” Hugo chuckled.

“Hey!” Jeremy called out, noticing the computer screen. “You three didn’t come here to surf the net. Now is not the time.” Hugo, Brendan and Xavier suddenly felt guilty after their little games, whilst everyone else were mourning the loss of their friend.”

“Sorry everyone” Hugo softly replied. “I think it’s best we turn this off for now. We can work on this another time.”

“Good idea” Xavier whispered.

Alf and Andrew came out of the Kitchen with some trays.

“Here we are, some sandwiches and tea to keep our strengths up” Andrew said, placing the contents on the table.

“Thanks” Martha whispered. The silence was interrupted when Jeremy’s mobile rang. Taking it out, he saw Gina’s name flash on screen.

“Gina, how’s Nicole?.........................OK, so what’s going on?.............................As long as she’s alright………………….Yes, OK thanks for letting me know……..bye.”

“What did Gina say?” Irene asked.

“Dr. Winston’s gonna drop Luc home and she’s gonna spend the night at Nic’s house just to keep an eye on her.”

“How’s Nic holding up?” Alf asked.

“Understandably not well” Jeremy sighed. “But at least Gina’s there just in case…..” They were interrupted when they heard a yell from the bathroom.

“TONY………HELP!”

“Rach!” Tony gasped. Racing down the hall, Tony hastily opened the door to the Bathroom and saw Rachel clinching onto her stomach in pain.

“Rach…..my God, are you OK?”

“It’s the Baby” Rachel replied, gasping for breath. “The baby’s coming out.”

“But how is that possible?” Tony asked. “There’s still a couple of months left.”

“I don’t think so” Rachel said. “My water broke, Tony. It’s time.”

“Hold on to me” Tony instructed. Rachel held on as they both made their way down the stairs into the Kitchen.

“Whoa love, what’s wrong?” Irene gasped.

“Rachel’s in labour” Tony replied. “We have to get to the hospital now!"

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Good And Bad)

With Tony and Rachel excited as the birth of their baby draws near, Nicole struggles to come to terms with Roman’s death.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the best chapter i've made, but here we go :wink:

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashbacks present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE

CHAPTER 104: GOOD AND BAD

6:30PM

“It’s so good to see you again, Dad!” Nicole smiled, hugging her father.

“I’m just glad to be with you again” Roman replied. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too” Nicole said.

“Nicole……………………Nic?” Gina’s voice echoed behind, interrupting Nicole's thoughts as she sat in silence inside the corridor, directly outside the room where Roman lay. Staring at the door, she remained motionless, heartbroken after the tragic events that had unfolded.

“Come on. Why don’t we go home and I’ll make you something to eat?” Gina silently suggested, placing her hand on the teenager’s shoulder.

“I don’t wanna leave” Nicole whispered, whilst holding back tears. “I just want my Dad!”

“It’s OK” Gina replied. “The nurses will take good care of your father for you. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“I just wanna stay here” Nicole cried.

“You need to take care of yourself too” Gina said. “You need to keep your strength up, and……” The sound of banging open doors, followed by the screeching of wheels interrupted her sentence. Gina turned around and saw Rachel in a wheelchair with Tony and Julie close behind.

“Rach? Are you OK? What’s going on?”

“Rachel’s in labour” Tony explained. “The baby’s coming.”

“Come this way, we’ll get you into a bed” Julie instructed, moving ahead in front of them.

“Hurry” Rachel said, moaning in discomfort. Pushing the wheelchair, Tony followed the nurse into a room.

Moments later, Jack, Brendan, Hugo and Xavier arrived inside.

“Hey” Gina called out. “Where’s your Dad?”

“Dad and Irene went to pick up Leah” Hugo replied. “And we called Luc and he and Dr. Winston are turning around and making their way back. Anyway, now that we are here, the fun begins. Aunt Rachel’s giving birth!”

“So I’ve seen” Gina said. “I thought Rach had a couple of months left or so.”

“We thought so too” Jack replied. “But who cares, the sooner the better! My new little brother or sister is coming soon!”

“Brendan can’t wait to see Aunty Rachel’s baby!” Brendan laughed.

“It’s so exciting, isn’t it Bandicoot?” Xavier said, a huge smile beaming on his face. Nicole, who remained silent nearby slowly looked up at the group without them knowing. She felt lonely and hurt – she believed that everyone else had forgotten already about Roman.

+++++

Inside Richard’s apartment, Richard, Billy and Charlie had just finished dinner.

7:00PM

“Daddy, when can we watch ‘Shrek The Third?” Billy asked, holding up the DVD case.

“We’ll have to watch it next weekend, buddy” Richard replied. “Tonight’s a school night, remember? It’s time you brush your teeth and jump into bed.”

“But I want to watch it now” Billy demanded. “And I want Charlie to watch it with me.”

“Not tonight, Billy.”

“Maybe another time” Charlie suggested, smiling at the ten year old.

“You look sad, Charlie.” Billy said, noticing the frown on the Senior Constable’s face that formed slowly after her smile.

“It’s been a big day, Billy, for everyone” Richard replied. “Charlie’s not really keen on seeing a movie tonight. There’s always next time. Now why don’t you go to the bathroom and try out the new toothbrush with the Mickey Mouse design that your Aunt Frances bought for you the other day.” Reluctantly, Billy slowly made his way down the hall.

“Sorry about that.”

“No, it’s fine, he’s only trying to cheer me up” Charlie replied. “He’s such a sweet boy!”

“A naughty one, according to the feedback my sister gives me” Richard chuckled. Charlie looked up at him.

“Sorry” Richard apologized. “I shouldn’t be making jokes. You’ve had a hard day. Is there anything I can do to cheer you up? Maybe, get you something to read, or…….”

“Something to read?” Charlie asked.

“OK, I’m bad at this. What would Leah do to cheer you up when you’re down?”

“Well” Charlie began to think. “She would get me some chocolate, and a bottle of wine.”

“OK, I’ve got chocolate, I’ve got wine. I’ll just go and get it” Richard said, slowly heading towards the Kitchen cupboard.

+++++

“Premature?” Tony whispered to himself. “So there was no mistake after all?”

“No mistake” Dr. Jim Winston replied. “The baby’s coming out early.” Tony looked over at his fiancé and saw the worrying look on her face.

“I……I don’t understand” Rachel said. “Everything was OK. The tests said I was fine and the baby was fine.”

“Rach, don’t worry. We will……” Tony was interrupted.

“Don’t worry?” Rachel replied. “Tony, there is a chance that something’s not gonna go well. Premature babies are not fully developed. They can suffer a range of problems. They can be born blind, they can……”

“Shh….just relax” Tony whispered, holding onto Rachel’s hand. “This is our baby. We…..”

“I didn’t mean that I didn’t want it or……”

“I didn’t say that” Tony interrupted. “I know you love our baby. We will love it, no matter what problems he or she may have. We will just have to work together, OK?” Rachel nodded. Unable to hold back tears that was slowly forming in her eyes, she began to cry.

“It’s OK, Don’t cry, Rach” Tony said, sitting on the chair next to the bed and giving his fiancé a kiss on the forehead.

“I’ll give you two a moment” Jim whispered as he headed out of the room.

“Now, Rach” Tony continued. “No matter what happens, we will get through this.”

“You know what’s stupid?” Rachel said. “I feel scared about giving birth, but I shouldn’t be. I have delivered many babies before with other patients. How am I gonna get through this?”

“I will stay here with you, for as long as it takes. I promise.” Tony smiled.

There was a knock on the door. Jack, Martha, Lucas and Xavier came inside and gathered around the bed.

“Hey Rach, these are for you” Martha said, handing her a bouquet of flowers.

“Thanks” Rachel whispered.

“Aunt Rach, are you OK? You look like you’ve been crying.” Xavier noted. Tony decided to step in.

“It’s OK, mate. It’s just a scary feeling.”

“Yeah…….yeah it is” Rachel replied. She sensed from Tony’s response that it was best not to mention to the others about the baby being premature. She didn’t want to worry them.

“You sure you’re OK?” Martha asked.

“I’m fine, honestly” Rachel insisted.

“OK, well, we’ll wait outside” Jack replied.

“See you soon” Lucas smiled. “Can’t wait to see my new sibling!”

“Our new sibling” Jack corrected his brother.

“Don’t worry, you will” Tony smiled.

Back at the corridor, Brendan, Gina, Hugo, Irene and Leah gathered around. Jeremy, who had just returned from the Kitchen with his coffee, approached his fiancé.

“Gina, shouldn’t you be taking Nicole home?”

“I tried to, but she won’t leave” Gina whispered. “She insisted to me that she wants some time alone.”

“Poor Girl” Jeremy sighed, looking over to see Nicole sitting alone not too far away. “We have to do something.”

“But what can we do? What can anyone do?” Gina asked. “Nicole’s completely shut down. She doesn’t want to be near anyone, she doesn’t wanna talk to anyone. She’s made it perfectly clear that she wants to be alone.”

“Do you think that will help?” Jeremy asked.

“I don’t know” Gina replied. “I was hesitant to leave her by herself, but she insisted that I do.”

Jack, Lucas and Xavier joined the others.

“Hey, how’s Rach?” Leah asked.

“They’re fine” Lucas replied, struggling to hide his excitement. “I can’t believe it’s happening now!”

“I know” Jack chuckled. “I can still remember the day when Rach made the announcement, like it was yesterday!”

“Brendan’s getting a brother!” Brendan said.

“No, Bandicoot” Xavier laughed. “Not a brother, but you’re getting a new cousin!”

“We’re getting a cousin!” Hugo corrected his brother.

“Brendan’s getting a cousin! Brendan giggled.

“This is like the most exciting day ever!” Xavier cheered.

“JUST SHUT UP, ALL OF YOU!” Nicole screamed. Everyone swiftly turned around to see the distraught teenager staring furiously at them.

“Nic?” Lucas whispered.

“MY DAD’S DEAD, AND YOU’LL ALL LAUGHING AND HAVING A GOOD TIME?” Nicole cried. “IT’S OBVIOUS THAT YOU DON’T CARE, ALL OF YOU!” getting up from her seat, Nicole ran out of the hospital.

“Nic!” Lucas yelled, running out after her.

Everyone else looked at each other in shock.

“Oh my God! Nicole!” Irene gasped.

“I…..I shouldn’t have said this was the most exciting day ever” Xavier said, feeling deep regret. “I can’t believe that I didn’t think about Roman.”

“That was a very stupid thing to say, mate” Hugo said in disappointment.

“I knew I shouldn’t have left her alone” Gina whispered to Jeremy. Gina quickly made her way out.

“Wait” Jeremy said. “Where are you going?”

“Where do you think, Jeremy? I have to go after her.” Gina hastily replied.

“I’ll go as well” Jeremy said to the others, catching up to her fiancé.

“NIC!” Lucas yelled, catching up to the distraught teenager outside the building.

“GO AWAY!” Nicole screamed, whilst running away as fast as she can.

“STOP, NIC!” Lucas shouted, grabbing her arm as he finally caught her.

“LET ME GO!” Nicole cried.

“Come here” Lucas whispered, pulling her into a tight hug. “I’m sorry.” Nicole could no longer hold back her sadness and hurt.

“I miss my Dad. I love him so much!” Nicole cried. “How am I gonna go on without him?”

“I’m so, so, sorry Nic.” Lucas sighed.

“There they are” Gina said, spotting them a fair distance away.

“Wait” Jeremy replied, holding on to his fiance’s arm. Both of them watched as Lucas comforted Nicole. “Perhaps we better leave them alone. Luc is her friend. They’ll take care of each other.”

“But…..”

“Gina.”

“I……….well…….you’re right” Gina softly replied. “Luc will take care of her.”

“He’s a good lad” Jeremy smiled. Placing his arm around Gina, he guided her back inside the building.

+++++

Back inside Richard’s apartment…

9:30PM

“I don’t think you should go home tonight. You should stay here where I can keep an eye on you” Richard said, helping a drunken Charlie from the Dining table onto the couch.

“I’m fine, seriously” Charlie giggled.

“No, you’re not” Richard replied. “You’re obviously upset and distraught about Roman.”

“Yeah, I know. That’s why I need drinks to help me get through this.”

“Come on, you know that’s not true” Richard smiled. Charlie stared at him. “Come on, let me put this blanket over you.” Placing the blanket over his girlfriend, Richard took the empty glass and headed towards the Kitchen sink.

“Hey, Mr. Richard” Charlie said. “While you’re there, get me some more wine, will you?”

“I think that’s enough for tonight.” Richard chuckled. “You’ve had too much to drink.”

“But I want more” Charlie demanded.

“No Charlie, you don’t need more.” Richard replied. Charlie frowned in disappointment.

“Gosh Richie, you’re so mean!” Charlie said. “Roman wouldn’t be that mean to me.”

“But Richard’s here to look after you” Richard smiled as he sat next to Charlie, stroking her hair. “Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.”

“Roman was nice to me” Charlie drunkenly spoke. “He’s so funny. I miss him, I want to see him. Hey Richie, do you think I can go to your balcony and fly to the sky so I can say hi to him?”

“Wow, you’re really drunk!” Richard said to himself.

“Roman and I were just so awesome!” Charlie laughed, whilst staggering to speak. “He’s such a cool bloke. I mean, even after we broke up, I never stopped loving him, like…….” Richard got up from his seat.

“Come on, you!” Charlie said. “I have more funny stories to tell you.”

“I….I………think it’s for the best that I let you get some rest. I’ll see you in the morning.” Richard replied.

Sitting on the bed in his bedroom, Richard kept silent. Despite his girlfriend’s drunkenness, the thought of hearing her suddenly admitting her love for Roman rushed through his head. Climbing into bed, Richard pulled the sheets over him and turned off the lamp. As he closed his eyes, he began to wonder – Did Charlie really love him? Or was Warren right after all about the relationship being a rebound for both of them?

+++++

Over twelve hours have passed by. Rachel lay on the bed, holding her newborn son, Harry. Tony was at the other end of the room, asleep on the chair.

10:00AM

“Knock Knock” Jack called out, as he opened the door.

“Shh” Rachel whispered. Jack looked over and saw his father.

“Is Dad alright?”

“He’s so exhausted, he didn’t get a wink of sleep.” Rachel replied.

“What about you, Rach?” Jack asked.

“I’m OK” Rachel replied. “I’m just glad to be back to normal again!”

“I bet you are!” Jack chuckled. “So how’s my little brother?”

“He’s fine……………for now” Rachel sighed. Jack sat beside her on the bed.

“Rach, you don’t seem happy.”

“I’m sorry Jack, but it’s just hard.”

“But you heard what Dr. Winston said” Jack said. “There is still a chance that Harry will be able to live a normal life, despite he is premature.”

“But there will still be problems along the way” Rachel noted. “Harry didn’t get enough oxygen and his lungs aren’t in the best shape. He may not be able to talk, and then he’ll probably develop breathing problems.”

“And there is a chance that his prematurity won’t stop him from living his life” Jack replied. “He’s my brother and I love him no matter what’s wrong with him. You and Dad are loving parents, and Harry deserves parents like you. He is so adorable.”

“Thanks Jack” Rachel smiled. “Hey, can you do me a favour?”

“Sure, anything.”

“Can you call Julie and tell her she can come pick up Harry now?” Rachel asked. “Julie said that Jim just needs to finish some observations and a couple of tests.

“Actually Rach” Jack interrupted. “Would it be OK, if I can take Harry to Jim myself? I’d love to hold him.”

“Of course you can” Rachel smiled. Picking up his youngest brother gently from Rachel, Jack cradled him in his arms and slowly made his way out of the room.

Along the corridor, Martha came up towards him.

“Hey babe.”

“Hey” Jack replied. “Listen, how’s everyone else?”

“Fast asleep” Martha said. “Anyway, Irene’s gone off to keep an eye on Nicole.”

“How is she?”

“Gina said she didn’t sleep at all” Martha sighed. “Poor thing. It’s gonna be so hard on her.”

“I still can’t believe Roman’s gone.” Jack said. “Here we are, excited about Harry’s birth, but at the same time we feel sad for Roman and Nicole.

“I know, me too.” Martha whispered. Not wanting to talk about sad news, she decided to change the topic. “So how’s this adorable little thing?”

“He’s so cute” Jack smiled. “Just imagine. Soon, we’re gonna have one of these of our own.”

“You mean two?” Martha reminded him. “We’re having twins, remember?”

“The more the merrier!” Jack laughed. “I still can’t believe it though. That was one night, eh?” Jack looked down and smiled at his brother. “One day, when you’re old enough, I’m sure Dad’s gonna tell you the story about the adventure of you coming into this world. You’ll be guaranteed a few laughs, I’m sure!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Six Feet Under)

Nicole is left shattered, whilst the town gathers around for Roman’s funeral.

Richard and Charlie make a decision about their relationship.

Don't worry Tachel fans - the story of what happened during the birth will be told in the first half of the finale chapter, so there's something to look forward to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done :wink:

Note: The preview for this chapter included a small storyline involving Martin, Gina and Xavier - but because this chapter is already too long, I didn't bother writing it (it didn't really have any relevance to any of the current storyline anyway.)

CHAPTER 105: SIX FEET UNDER

10:00AM

“Ouch, my head!” Charlie moaned as she lay on the couch inside Richard’s apartment. Richard came out of the kitchen with a glass of water.

“I reckon you’re gonna be needing this” Richard said, handing the glass to his colleague.

“I’ll need a lot more of this” Charlie chuckled.

“Yeah” Richard whispered. Charlie looked up and saw Richard was unusually quiet and unattentive.

“Richard, is something bothering you?”

“There is something that’s bothering me” Richard replied. “Can you remember what you said to me last night?”

“I…….I can’t remember what we did last night” Charlie said. “I don’t even remember how I ended up here in your apartment.”

“Perhaps I’ll fill in the details” Richard suggested. “You came here last night because you were so upset about Roman. You had dinner with Billy and I, then you were upset again, so you drunk some wine and you passed out on my couch. But that’s not the only thing.”

“What else?” Charlie asked.

“You said that Roman was your one true love” Richard replied. “You never stopped loving him.”

“I said that” Charlie gasped. “Richard, you know that’s not true.”

“You see, that’s the thing Charlie, I don’t believe you” Richard said. “You were so depressed last night. It was like as if he was your husband that you lost.”

“Roman was my friend” Charlie said.

“He was your boyfriend, and your boyfriend for a very long time if I remember correctly” Richard replied. “I don’t think you’ve gotten over him.”

“Come on, Richard. My relationship with Roman was completely over before we got together.” Charlie said. Richard looked over at the window.

“Frances is here” Richard said. “She can keep a watch on Billy while I take you back to Leah’s.”

“But Richard…”

“We can talk more about this later” Richard insisted, as he headed towards the table to grab his car keys.

+++++

One week has passed…

10:30AM

“Nic, are you ready yet?” Lucas called out as she and Lucas stood outside her bedroom door along the hallway inside Roman’s House.

“Come on Nic, Mr. Stewart will be here soon to pick us up.” Ruby said. After hearing no response, the pair became increasingly worried.

“OK, I’m coming in” Lucas said. Opening the door, He and Ruby saw Nicole sitting on her bed, facing the opposite direction, whilst holding a picture frame of her and Roman together. It was taken hours before the start of the Yabbie Creek Marathon. Lucas slowly approached, sitting next to his girlfriend and placing his hand on her shoulder. Silently sobbing, Nicole slowly leaned her head on Lucas’ shoulder.

“I can’t do this.” Nicole whispered.

“Yes you can, you have to” Lucas replied. “Everyone who loved and cared for your Dad will be there, but you’re the most important person in his life.”

“But I’m scared” Nicole sobbed. “I’m afraid that I’m not gonna cope and everyone will be staring at me and I’ll be embarrassed.”

“You know that’s not true” Ruby said. “You can do this.”

“Rubes is right” Lucas added. “You haven’t left the house all week, and you slammed the door on Aunt Gina and Uncle Jeremy the other day when all they wanted to do is to help you.”

“Come on Nic” Ruby said. “I can’t begin to imagine how it feels right now, but if you don’t wanna see anyone else, then that’s fine, but at least come out of the house to say goodbye to your father.”

“Just pretend we’re not there” Lucas added. “It’s just you and Roman.”

At that moment, the doorbell rang. Nicole placed the picture frame back on her bedside table.

“That must be Mr. Stewart” Lucas noted. “Nic, can you do this?” Nicole paused in silence.

“I……….I……I don’t know” Nicole whispered.

“Nic, if you don’t wanna do this for yourself, then do it for us” Lucas replied. “Do it for all of the people who loved him and who knew him, but the most important thing – do it for Roman.” After a moment of pause, the doorbell rang again.

“It’s your choice” Lucas whispered. Drying the tears from her face, Nicole slowly nodded.

“I’ll do it.”

“Thanks Nic, this means so much to all of us” Ruby smiled. “You go get ready and I’ll go and let Mr. Stewart know you’ll be downstairs soon.”

“OK. Thanks” Nicole replied, letting out a small smile.

+++++

At the Bachelor Pad, Jack, Andrew and Martha were getting ready. Hearing a knock on the front door, Andrew opened it.

“Hey Tony.”

“Hi Uncle Andrew. Everyone ready?”

“Jack and Martha are just getting changed” Andrew replied. “Where’s Rachel?”

“Rach is not too well" Tony replied. "She's still in the recovery process after the birth.”

“So you left her alone next door?” Andrew asked, confused.

“No” Tony replied. “We phoned her brother Brad a few days ago. He just arrived from Tasmania this morning and he’s next door as we speak. He’ll keep Rachel and Harry company, so I’ll be standing in for her at the funeral”

“Oh, I see” Andrew understood. “I’m assuming Gina and Jeremy……”

“They left early to drop Brendan off with his carer in the city” Tony finished his sentence. “They’ll meet us at the cemetery.”

Jack and Martha came out of the hallway and into the Living room.

“Oh, hey Tony, I thought I heard your voice” Martha said.

“Dad, I thought we would meet you and Rach at the cemetery.” Jack asked curiously.

“Change of plans Jack.” Tony replied. “Rachel’s not coming, and also there’s something I need to ask you.”

“What’s up?”

“Jack, can you come with me in my car?” Tony asked.

“Er……….sure, I guess” Jack replied. “Martha, can you take Andrew with you in my car?”

“Sure, no problem.”

“OK, let’s go” Jack said.

Ten minutes later…

Tony was driving along the main highway. Jack sat next to him on the passenger seat, reading the street directory.

“According to the map, we should take the road on the right at the next traffic light to enter the freeway” Jack noted. “But it’s still another two hours or so until we reach Roman’s home town of Newcastle. I actually remember going there for a weekend break last year with Martha. She kept complaining about…….” Jack was interrupted when his father suddenly made a turn to the left on a side street.

“Dad, what are you doing?” Jack asked. “You’re meant to turn right at the traffic light.” Tony pulled over and turned off the engine. He kept silent.

“Dad, are you OK?” Jack asked. Tony slowly shook his head and began to choke up tears.

“I can’t do this, Jack” Tony whispered. “Do you know why I asked you to come with me?”

“Why?”

“Because if I didn’t, I’d be driving on my own” Tony continued. “I’m scared that I might lose it, and crash into somebody, or something.”

“Lose it?” Jack asked.

“That’s right Jack” Tony replied. “I know that I’ve been busy over the past few days with taking care of Rach and Harry, but now it’s only finally sunk in.”

“What’s sunk in?” Jack asked.

“I’ve lost my best friend.” Tony cried, burying his head in his hands. Jack placed his hand on his father’s shoulder.

“I know, he was my mate too” Jack sighed.

“You know” Tony continued. “The only thing that I can think of was the times that Roman was there for me, like the loyal, trustworthy friend that he is. He helped me surprise Rachel on her birthday, not to mention also how he stood by me through all the hell I went through with your Grandfather. I owe him a lot.” At that moment, reality suddenly snapped into his mind.

“Oh, look at me sobbing myself silly, it’s embarrassing! I’m sorry.”

“No Dad, don’t apologize” Jack replied. “I think it’s too much for you. It’s normal to mourn over someone’s death, especially someone who was a great friend to you, like Roman, and we understand you haven’t had the time to mourn because of Rachel and Harry. Today is your day to say goodbye to Roman.” Tony remained silent in grief.

“Dad, I think it’s better if you let me drive” Jack noted. “Just sit back and take some time out. You need it.” Swapping positions, Jack sat behind the steering wheel and started the engine.

+++++

Two hours later…

1:00PM

“They’re here” Irene announced as the group of mourners saw Alf’s ute pull up at the car park near the cemetery. Alf, Ruby, Lucas and Nicole got out.

“Just remember, you’re doing this for your Dad” Lucas whispered.

“I know” Nicole nodded. “Let’s do this.”

As the ceremony went under way, each of the residents placed a written message they had prepared the day before on top of Roman’s coffin.

Roman, Keep smiling from above, we know you’re up there! Love, Aden and Belle.

You were such a great person to have had working with us at the Diner. We will always remember you. From your lovely team, Irene, Colleen, Leah and Ruby.

Dear Roman, thanks for that expensive Jacket you gave me on my Birthday. When I wear it, I’ll always remember how kind and supportive you were to me and my family. Lucas.

You are a great friend. I am saddened that a simple accident at the marathon had cut your life so short. I will always be forever grateful for your support and your loyalty to me, especially after the tragic events which happened in my life over the past few months. I can never thank you enough. Tony.

I’m still left in shock on how your life ended so quickly! I will miss all the fun times we had together, especially the practical jokes we did behind Martha’s back! Haha, I still remember. Take care. Jack.

I know we had our quarrels when I first arrived at the bay a year ago, but I’m glad that you were there for my uncle and his family when he needed you the most. Put in a good word for me to the big guy upstairs. From your mate, Hugo.

Dear Roman, I know our relationship ended so badly, but it didn’t mean that I didn’t like you as a friend, despite how angry I was at the time. There will always be a part of me that will love you forever. Miss you everyday. Love, Charlie. P.S: Don’t worry about Richard – he doesn’t seem to be angry anymore!

Dear Dad. How am I gonna live the rest of my life without you? I will miss you heaps and a day doesn’t go by unless I think about all the happy times we shared together since you came back from the SAS. I love you. Nic.

+++++

2:00PM

Fifteen minutes later after everyone else were slowly driving back home to Summer Bay, Charlie remained standing beside Roman’s grave with Richard standing nearby, whilst Leah waited patiently for them in her car. After placing a bouquet of flowers on top, Charlie took out a tissue from her handbag to dry the tears from her face. She then slowly made her way towards Richard.

“Richard, you’re right. You’re right about everything.”

“About you and Roman?” Richard asked. Charlie nodded.

“I just kept staring at his grave and all I can think about is the great times we had together. We were together for three years and we shared a lot of great memories.”

“So our relationship……..”

“It was a rebound relationship” Charlie admitted with sadness. “You were right when I said that Roman was the love of my life. I guess our relationship was really my response after I was angry at him for cheating on me with your fiancé.”

“So I guess Warren was right after all” Richard said. “Our relationship wasn’t meant to be.”

“He was right” Charlie sighed. “Listen Richard, I’m so sorry for all this. You really deserve someone better, and I understand if you don’t wanna be friends anymore, and….”

“Wait” Richard interrupted. “Who said I didn’t wanna be friends with you?”

“But I thought……….”

“Listen Charlie, it’s alright” Richard replied. “I understand Roman was a big part of your life. You loved him, I get that. Don’t you worry about me, there’s still plenty of fish in the sea!”

“Oh, stop it!” Charlie giggled.

“Listen Charlie” Richard continued. “I know that since we both work together, it may feel a bit awkward given that we both agreed to break our relationship, but just so you know, I really enjoyed having you as my girlfriend, and whilst I’m sad it’s over, I am thankful for your honesty.”

“Thank you for understanding” Charlie whispered, giving the constable a big hug. “And just for the record, you were not so bad yourself!”

“Haha, very funny” Richard sarcastically replied. “Come on. Leah’s waiting for us in the car.”

Charlie turned around and stared one final time at the tombstone.

“Goodbye Roman, I’ll always love you” Charlie whispered. Richard placed his arm around the Senior Constable as they slowly made their way to the car park.

+++++

As evening was slowly approaching, the residents gathered around at the Surf Club for Roman’s wake.

5:00PM

“Hi Brad, how’s Rach and Harry?.............................OK, I’ll be there soon. Thanks for your help. Bye.”

“Everything alright at home?” Martha asked.

“They’re fine” Tony replied. “Rach is taking a nap and poor little Harry fell asleep in Brad’s arms. I’m just about to head back home now.”

“OK, I’ll let Jack and Luc know you’re going.”

“Alright. Thanks” Tony replied.

As he headed towards the exit, Nicole caught up behind him.

“Mr. Holden?”

“Nic, hey.”

“Listen, I just wanna say thank you for coming” Nicole replied. “I know you and Dad were best mates.”

“We were indeed” Tony sighed. “It’s just hard to believe he’s gone.”

“I know” Nicole whispered.

“Come here” Tony replied, pulling Nicole into a hug. “Now remember, if there’s anything you need, or you need someone to talk to or keep you company, or even a place to stay, you’re always welcome to come to Rachel and I, or even Gina and Jeremy. Luc told me you weren’t sure if you would be able to cope, but you did well today. Just remember, you’re not alone in all this.”

“Thanks Mr. Holden” Nicole smiled.

“It’s Tony, remember?”

“Of course” Nicole chuckled. “Thanks Tony.”

Warren entered inside and approached his brother, who was sitting by himself at a table.

“Hey Richard, I thought I’d find you here.”

“Warren?” Richard exclaimed, surprised. “Why are you here? I thought you didn’t like Roman.”

“I’m not really here because of Roman. I’m here because of you.”

“Er……..I’m lost.” Richard replied.

“Charlie stopped by my apartment a moment ago and explained everything. You alright?”

“You know what, Warren? You’re a very strange person” Richard commented. “About a week ago, you hated me so much, you wouldn’t talk to me, even when I tried to make contact with you.”

“I know, that’s why I’m here” Warren replied. “I’m here to apologize.”

“What?”

“I’m sorry” Warren apologized. “I’ve been a bit of a brat lately.” After a few moments, Richard placed his arm around his big brother’s shoulder.

“A real brat, eh?”

“I was” Warren chuckled.

“But you know what? This time you were right” Richard replied. “Charlie and I – it was just a rebound for both of us, but we broke up on good terms and we are still friends. It would mean a lot to me if you could try to be friends with her as well.”

“I can always give it a shot!” Warren laughed.

“And Warren” Richard continued. “You’re my big brother. I know you were only looking out for me, so I’m sorry for being a bit of a brat to you as well. Am I forgiven?”

“Apology accepted” Warren smiled.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: The Final – Part 1)

After eighteen years have passed by, Tony begins to tell Harry the story about his birth, but when Harry brings up the subject about Kent, Rachel and Gina fear that Tony hasn’t completely moved on from the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay. Here we go :wink:

CHAPTER 106: THE FINAL - PART 1

“You know, you could help me get the food ready” Rachel complained, whilst whisking some ingredients together in the Kitchen. 63 year-old Tony Holden, along with his 18 year-old son Harry were upstairs in Harry’s bedroom, oblivious to Rachel’s moaning.

“So Dad, you told me you’d tell me the story about how I was born.”

“Well mate, it was a rollercoaster of a day!” Tony chuckled. “You wouldn’t believe it if I told you.”

“I’ll believe anything” Harry laughed.

“OK then. But I’ll warn you mate, this is gonna be a long story…..”

“Whoa love, what’s wrong?” Irene gasped.

“Rachel’s in labour” Tony replied. “We have to get to the hospital now!"

“But…..But I thought………we thought” Jack was interrupted.

“I know, I know, you thought a couple of months left” Rachel moaned in pain. “The baby’s coming out now.”

“We’ve gotta go” Tony insisted.

“OK, well take good care, we’ll be right there with you at the Hospital.” Irene replied.

“Don’t have the baby yet until we get there!” Martha said.

“I’ll try not to” Rachel replied. “Come on Tony, let’s go.”

Tony was now driving along the main road towards the Hospital. Rachel sat at the passenger seat, pressing her hand against her stomach in pain.

“How long until we get there?”

“About another ten minutes, hang in there” Tony replied.

“It seems like it’s taking forever!” Rachel complained. Suddenly, the sound of a siren, followed by flashing red and blue strobe lights illuminated behind them.

“Oh, you’re kidding me!” Tony mumbled, noticing the cops behind him. Turning on the indicator, Tony pulled up his car on the side of the road. A few moments later, a young constable aged in his early twenties appeared next to him.

“Good evening sir, do you know how fast you were travelling?”

“Listen mate, I can explain” Tony said. “My fiance’s in labour and we’ve gotta get her to the hospital, and……”

“I’ve heard that excuse from a couple of other people earlier this evening with people saying that their fiancé or their wife’s in labour when in fact they’re not” The constable replied. “Do you have your license with you?”

“No, I’m serious, my fiance’s about to give birth.”

“I’m sorry, but you’ll have to wait here while I write up a fine for……” The constable was interrupted.

“I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN, YOU IDIOT!” Rachel screamed. “I PROMISE YOU, IF YOU KEEP US WAITING HERE ANY LONGER, I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT YOU DOWN, AND I WILL CHOKE YOU, UNTIL YOU…..”

“OK, OK” the Constable quickly replied, frightened. “Just go, please!” Turning around, he quickly ran back into his patrol car and drove off.

“Wow, Rach” Tony smiled. “You really scared him. Did you see his face when he……”

“DO YOU SEE MY FACE RIGHT NOW?” Rachel growled. “DRIVE TO THE DAMN HOSPITAL, NOW!”

That cop turned out to be Sargeant Charlie Buckton's future husband.” Tony explained.

“You mean, you got pulled over by Mr. Fletcher?” Harry asked.

“That’s him” Tony replied. “At that time, Michael Fletcher started off as a new recruit at North Valley police station. Three years later when Senior Constable Watson did some changes around, he moved to Yabbie Creek and that’s how he and Charlie met. Back then, she was the Senior Constable. Another fact is that her last boyfriend was also Senior Constable Richard Dean, who was only a Constable at that time."

"So she has a thing for cops?" Harry chuckled.

"Perhaps" Tony replied.

“I must say though, that Mr. Fletcher seemed a little bit uncomfortable when he and Charlie came here for Dinner last week.” Harry noted.

“I think after eighteen years, he’s still scared of your mother” Tony laughed.

+++++

“Brad! Thank you for being here!” Rachel smiled, opening the front door for her brother.

“Am I still in Summer Bay? Everything seems so different now” Brad replied.

“Well you haven’t been here for about eighteen years, that’s why!” Rachel laughed.

“Gosh, this place seems so big now” Brad commented. “When did you and Tony have the second level built?”

“We built it one year after your last visit” Rachel replied. “We needed more room for Harry because all the Austins were living with us, but when Jeremy finished fixing his house down the road and they all moved in there, Tony changed his mind about building upstairs, then changed his mind again, deciding he wanted more room anyway, so the builders came in and yeah, this happened.”

“Well now it looks like the mansion of Summer Bay, rather than a house!”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, thanks” Rachel smiled.

Brad made his way towards the Kitchen.

“Wow…er…………do you want some help in here?”

“Please, can you?” Rachel said. “Tony and Harry are upstairs. Those lazy guys don’t even wanna help me out here.”

“As if Harry’s gonna do some cooking for his own birthday party” Brad chuckled. “What time do the others get here?”

“Not for a couple more hours” Rachel replied.

+++++

“So you and Mum went to the hospital. What happened next?” Harry asked.

The sound of banging open doors, followed by the screeching of wheels interrupted her sentence. Gina turned around and saw Rachel in a wheelchair with Tony and Julie close behind.

“Rach? Are you OK? What’s going on?”

“Rachel’s in labour” Tony explained. “The baby’s coming.”

“Come this way, we’ll get you into a bed” Julie instructed, moving ahead in front of them.

“Hurry” Rachel said, moaning in discomfort. Pushing the wheelchair, Tony followed the nurse into a room.

Inside a room, Tony and Julie helped Rachel onto a bed.

“OK, so Rach, when did the labour start?”

“About fifteen to twenty minutes ago” Rachel replied. Reaching the clipboard, Julie wrote down some notes.

“OK, on a scale of about one to ten, ten being the highest, how much pain are you in right now?”

“I……..I don’t know. Try eleven!”

“Eleven? Really?” Julie asked.

“Sorry about my wife” Tony replied. “She’s just a bit stressed because of my driving and…..”

“WHO’S THE ONE GIVING BIRTH HERE? YOU OR ME?” Rachel shouted. Tony looked over at Julie’s clipboard.

“Is there a spot on those papers where you can also record how much pain I am in?”

“I’ll be honest with you Harry.” Tony continued. “Your mother was VERY scary that night. If she can scare Mr. Fletcher, she can scare anyone.

“Really?” Harry giggled.

“Yes Indeed” Tony smiled. “Your Aunt Gina almost had a heart attack when she walked in the room…..”

Rachel lay on the bed in pain, waiting for Dr. Jim Winston to arrive. After a couple of knocks on the door, Gina walked in.

“Hey Rach. How’re you…….”

“GO AND GET THAT BROTHER OF YOURS!” Rachel screamed. “I’M IN SO MUCH PAIN, THERE IS NO TIME FOR HIM FOR COFFEE OR THE RESTROOM, OR WHEREVER THE HELL HE IS. GET HIM!!!” Gina quickly bolted out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Outside the room, Hugo came up towards his mother.

“Hey Mum, how’s Rach? Can we see her?”

“If you want to live another day, DON’T go in there!” Gina quickly replied.

“What?” Hugo asked, confused.

+++++

“Hi everyone” Jack and Martha called out as they entered the front door.

“Hey” Brad called out from the kitchen. “Thanks for coming.”

“I got your message” Martha said, heading towards the Kitchen. “How much cooking has to be done?”

“A lot!” Rachel exclaimed. Jack and Martha looked around and saw plates, pots and pans all over the place.

“Wow, you guys need some SERIOUS help!” Martha exclaimed. “OK, I’ll heat up the pies and then I’ll help you with the cake.”

“Where’s Hayley?” Rachel asked. “Isn’t she coming?”

“She’s hanging out with her friends. She’ll be here later” Martha replied.

“Hayley?” Brad asked.

“Our daughter” Jack replied. “She’s almost the same age as Harry. Speaking of which, where’s the birthday boy?”

“He’s upstairs with your father” Rachel replied. “You know, both of them could be down here, helping. It’s his party!”

“Boys will be boys!” Martha laughed.

“Actually, I'll go up and see what they're up to” Rachel said, heading towards the stairs.

+++++

“OK Rach, you’re doing so well. Let’s go again” Doctor Jim Winston instructed.

“I…..I don’t think I can do this anymore” Rachel said, gasping for breath.

“You’re doing so well Rach, not long to go now” Julie reassured her friend.

"Hold onto my hand" Tony said. Rachel held onto his hand.

“OK here we go” Jim said. “One……two…….three………push!”

+++++

Meanwhile outside in the corridor, everyone else stood still by the sound of a yell!”

OW, MY HAND!

“I wonder who’s more scared of Rachel? Us or my brother?” Gina commented.

“Poor Tony, Rachel’s probably killing him right now!” Leah giggled.

+++++

“MY HAND! I THINK YOU BROKE MY HAND!” Tony screamed in pain, clutching it tightly with his other hand.

“I’m sorry, it’s the pressure of having to push this baby out!” Rachel yelled.

“SO YOU HAVE TO KILL ME IN THE PROCESS?” Tony complained. “MY POOR HAND! IT HURTS SO……”

“I see the baby’s head” Julie interrupted. Tony and Rachel suddenly kept silent.

“Oh my God! Oh my God! Our child’s finally here” Tony smiled, jumping up and down like an excited school kid, ignoring the pain on his hand.

“OK Rach, you can do this. One big push” Jim instructed. “One……..two………three………push!”

Moments later, Jim held up their baby carefully in his hands. Rachel and Tony stared at their newborn child, both with the biggest smiles on their faces.

“Congratulations, it’s a boy!” Jim smiled.

“Oh my God!” Tony laughed. “A boy. This is our boy, Rach. Our own son!” Julie took out a sharp pair of surgical scissors.

“Well Tony, third time Dad, would you like to do the honours?”

“I would be honoured” Tony smiled. Taking the sharp instrument, he carefully detatched the umbilical cord.

“Wait!” Jim interrupted, staring directly at their newborn son.

“What, did I do something wrong?” Tony asked.

“Something’s not right” Jim replied, leaning towards the baby. His breathing’s……..irregular.”

“Irregular?” Rachel asked.

“Hang on” Jim said, examining the baby again. “I……..I……lost his breath. He’s not breathing.”

“WHAT?” Tony exclaimed.

“JULIE, GET THE OXYGEN READY, HURRY!” Jim ordered. Rachel started to panic.

“Oh my God!”

“Rach, don’t panic, we’re gonna do everything to make sure your baby’s alright” Jim reassured her.

“Please” Tony begged. “Please take care of him.”

Rachel and Tony stared in shock as Jim and Julie quickly took baby Harry away to be examined.

“Oh God!” Rachel gasped. Tony held onto her hand.

“Rach, Jim is an excellent doctor, he’ll take care of him, I promise.”

“This is exactly what I feared” Rachel cried. “Our baby’s premature.”

“I know” Tony whispered.

“We can’t lose him” Rachel panicked. “We’ve tried so hard to get a baby of our own. I…….I don’t want him to die.”

“Shh….” Tony tried to calm down his fiance with a gentle hug. “He is our baby. He’s not gonna die. I won’t allow it.”

“You spent one week in the hospital, under a closeful watch, but you came out well in the end!”

“Wow, I must’ve been one strong baby to survive that!” Harry laughed

“Indeed you are” Tony smiled. “I reckon it runs in the family. Your brother Luc had a bit of a rough time too, and now, no problem at all.”

“Perhaps we have the ‘battler’ gene” Harry suggested. “We can survive anything!”

“Yes we can!” Tony chuckled.

Hearing the boys talking and not wanting to interrupt, Rachel stood by the door at the hallway, listening into the bedroom.

“What is the birthday boy and my cheeky husband up to?” Rachel thought.

“Hey Dad, there’s something else I want to ask you.”

“Fire away.”

“Mum’s always talked about my grandparents from her side, and you told me a long time ago about Grandma. But you never told me about Grandad? What was he like?” Tony fell silent, trying to figure out whether he should tell Harry what Kent was really like.

“Well……….Harry………”

“I bet he was some kind of superhero, who was able to battle anything that came in his way” Harry wondered. “Hey, perhaps the ‘battler’ gene came from your side of the family. That would be so cool!”

As Harry continued to think, Tony sat in shock, staring directly at his son.

“If only he knew the truth” he whispered to himself.

+++++

Rachel slowly made her way back. She had heard what Harry had said. Gina, who was now in the living room saw her coming down the stairs.

“Are you alright?” Gina asked, concerned. “You look tired.”

“No I’m fine, it’s just………………”

“Just?”

“Do you think……” Rachel continued. “Do you think, that after eighteen years, that Tony’s really over what happened with him and your father?”

+++++

FINAL CHAPTER: (Title: The Final – Part 2 of 2)

Tony takes the final steps to move on from the past.

• 5 weeks later...

Very sorry for the super long delay. Hope this final chapter is well worth the wait. Once again a big thank you to all those who took time to read this fic, and to those who left feedback :)

This is it! :(

CHAPTER 107: THE FINAL - PART 2

Inside the Holden House, Tony came down the stairs to help with preparing the food for Harry’s party.

“Hey Brad, good to see you mate.”

“Same here” Brad smiled. “I wouldn’t miss Harry’s 18th for the world.”

“Well, glad you can come” Tony replied.

“Tony, can you come here a minute?” Rachel called out from the living room.

“I’ll leave you two to it” Gina whispered to Rachel, as she headed upstairs.

Outside on the porch…

“What’s the matter?” Tony asked. “Did Jack and Martha break something in the Kitchen?”

“No, nothing to do with them” Rachel replied. “There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

“OK, shoot.”

“OK, well…..” Rachel continued. “I know that this is something you said you didn’t want to talk about ever again, and I…..”

“What didn’t I wanna talk about?”

“Your father” Rachel softly replied. Tony stared directly at his wife.

“Rach, I really don’t……”

“Just hear me out” Rachel interrupted. “I heard what Harry said about Kent.”

“What?” Tony exclaimed. “You mean you were listening in to our conversation.”

“I couldn’t help it, Tony.” Rachel said. “Anyway, what did you tell him?”

“What can I tell him?” Tony asked in frustration. “I never wanted Jack and Luc to know about him, but then my Dad came to the Bay, didn’t he?”

“But Harry’s gonna find out sooner or later” Rachel replied. “If not from you, he’ll find out from Jack, or Luc, or even Gina!”

“What am I meant to say?” Tony asked. “Am I meant to say his grandfather’s a criminal who not only tried to kill me a number of times, but gave my mum hell and ultimately causing her death? Rach, this is something that I do not…..” Both were interrupted.

“Hey” a voice called out. Tony and Rachel looked over and saw 17 year old Hayley Holden, along with 87 year old Andrew Holden.

“Hey love” Tony smiled, giving his granddaughter a kiss on the cheek. “Hey Uncle Andrew, how’s the blood pressure?”

“Blood pressure’s fine, back to normal” Andrew chuckled.

“Well remember to take it easy” Tony replied.

“Is Harry inside?” Hayley asked.

“He’s in his room” Rachel replied.

“Excellent, now it’s my turn to beat him in Pacman!” Hayley laughed.

“OK, but first can you help Andrew inside? Rach and I will be there in a minute.”

“Sure” Hayley smiled.

Seeing the pair inside the house, Tony and Rachel continued with their discussion.

“What are you going to do about Harry?”

“Here’s exactly what we’re gonna do” Tony replied. “We are not gonna tell him anything about my Dad, and we are gonna carry on with our lives as if none of this has happened.”

“But he’s beginning to ask questions” Rachel argued. “He thinks his grandfather is a superhero!”

“He’ll forget about it eventually.”

“But Tony…”

“THERE IS NO BUT’S” Tony angrily said. “No one is going to tell Harry anything. I don’t want him to get confused or upset or anything, especially given that today’s his 18th. You will not tell him a thing about his grandfather, do you understand?” Tony stormed off back inside the house, leaving Rachel shocked.

+++++

“Hey Harry, check this out” Hayley said, as she lay on Harry’s bed, looking through websites on the laptop screen.

“Why are you stalking people on Facebook?” Harry asked.

“I’m not stalking, take a look” Hayley replied. Harry glanced at the screen.

“OH……MY…….GOD!.......that’s gotta be a fake, right?”

“No it’s not” Hayley smiled. “They got married.”

“How come they didn’t invite me?” Harry complained. “I always wanted to see Japan. Plus, it’s Annie and Jai, they’re our friends, right?”

“Look what they wrote in the comments” Hayley pointed out. “It says: My wedding to Jai was a last-minute thing. We saw a Japanese couple get married in public ‘Las Vegas’ style, but with some lovely, romantic oriental elements added to it. Jai and I loved it, so we thought what the hell, let’s do it!”

“Not fair!” Harry groaned. “I wanted to be there!”

“Photo taken by Belle Jeffries Studios, Tokyo, Japan” Hayley read. “It looks so beautiful!”

“What’s so beautiful?” Martha asked, entering the bedroom.

“Take a look” Harry replied, turning the laptop screen around.

“WOW!” Martha gasped. “That’s a big wedding! Did Annie and Jai invite the whole population over?”

“I want a wedding like that!” Harry said.

“But you need a girlfriend first” Hayley chuckled.

“I know” Harry whispered. “So Martha, any news on Xavier?”

“No, sadly” Martha replied. “No one knows where he is, I just hope he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

“Poor man, he’s taking the divorce pretty hard.” Hayley said. “And I thought he and Ruby were so great together!”

“Well that’s what happens when you cheat on your spouse” Harry replied. “You know what, she and Geoff deserve each other – what they both did to Xavier was awful. Anyway, I sent the invitation to him. I can only hope……”

“He got the invitation indeed!” Xavier exclaimed, appearing outside the door.

“Xavier, we were worried about you” Martha said, giving him a hug.

“So was Mum” Xavier replied. “She hugged and kissed me all over as I arrived here. My face isn’t covered in lipstick is it?”

“No you’re fine” Hayley laughed.

“So how are you?” Harry asked. I mean, are you OK for partying, because I understand if you don’t want to…..”

“Are you kidding?” Xavier replied. “It’s your 18th – who cares about what happened with Ruby, I wouldn’t miss this for anything. You can legally drink the big guy stuff now!”

“Actually, yeah you’re right!” Harry smiled. “Let’s get some beer from Dad’s fridge.”

“Don’t drink too much” Martha said. “We don’t want you two tipsy before the others arrive.”

“Wait for me” Hayley called out. Martha stood in front of the door.

“Not until you’re 18” Martha replied.

“Damn it!” Hayley whispered.

+++++

Tony remained at the front porch, sitting on the chair by himself. The words of his earlier argument with Rachel kept repeating itself in his mind…

“Just hear me out” Rachel interrupted. “I heard what Harry said about Kent.”

“What?” Tony exclaimed. “You mean you were listening in to our conversation.”

“I couldn’t help it, Tony.” Rachel said. “Anyway, what did you tell him?”

“What can I tell him?” Tony asked in frustration. “I never wanted Jack and Luc to know about him, but then my Dad came to the Bay, didn’t he?”

“But Harry’s gonna find out sooner or later” Rachel replied. “If not from you, he’ll find out from Jack, or Luc, or even Gina!”

“What am I meant to say?” Tony asked. “Am I meant to say his grandfather’s a criminal who not only tried to kill me a number of times, but gave my mum hell and ultimately causing her death?

Tony then remembered all the times Harry would ask about his grandfather. He also remembered the number of times when Jack and Lucas asked him when they were young, and the repercussions that followed when his biggest secret was revealed – most notably, the time when Jack harshly disowned him because of his lies…

“Jack” Tony spoke out. Jack remained silent.

“Jack?” Tony said again. “Please………say something.” Tony saw Jack slowly shake his head, whilst trying to hold back tears.

“Why, Dad?” Jack asked. “Why are you doing this?”

“Jack, I……” Tony was interrupted.

“We were scared to death, Dad” Jack replied. “We thought that you drowned.” Tony watched as Jack could no longer hold back, tears slowly flowing down his cheeks as his voice began to tremble.

“I thought we were a family.”

“We ARE a family” Tony replied. “You, Luc and I are our own little family, and we will always be.” Jack shook his head.

“How can we be a family anymore?”

“Jack, don’t say that” Tony whispered.”

“Ever since Mum died, we stuck together closer than ever. We promised each other that we would not keep secrets and we would tell each other about everything.”

“But…..”

“BUT WHAT, DAD?” Jack cried. “You wouldn’t let us help you. You wouldn’t tell us how you’re feeling. How is that being a family?” Tony bowed his head in shame.

“I’m sorry, Jack.”

“Saying sorry isn’t gonna help” Jack replied. “I just…………I just………”

“Just what?”

“I don’t know who you are anymore” Jack cried.

“Jack, I’m your father” Tony replied. “I will always be your father.”

“I thought you were my father” Jack said. “But the Dad I knew wouldn’t shut me out like that. I’m sorry but………..you’ve let me down. You’ve really disappointed me.”

“Jack…..” Tony called out, but Jack had already opened the door and left the room.

Fearing that the same consequences will happen with Harry, Tony decided that he can no longer keep his father’s life a secret from him. He was turning 18 – he’s old enough to know the truth.

Inside the Kitchen…

“Oh, I almost forgot” Jack said, reaching into his pocket and taking out a small envelope. “This is addressed to all of you. The postman must’ve put it in our mailbox by mistake.”

“Who’s it from?” Rachel wondered. Opening the envelope, Rachel read the letter and gasped in shock.

“Matilda, Robbie and Ric are coming over next week for a visit!”

“Are you serious?” Jack smiled.

“They’re coming” Rachel replied. “Tony would be so thrilled to hear that. He’s always wondered what was going on with them. This is great news!”

Nearby, Harry and Xavier headed to the fridge to grab a beer bottle.

“Only one, Harry” Rachel said, noticing the beer bottle in his hand. “We don’t want an embarrassing scene at the party, plus that beer’s expensive. Did your Dad say it’s alright?”

“Dad won’t mind” Harry replied. “And Mum, as you said, only one beer, I promise.”

“Only one beer?” Xavier laughed. “Trust me Aunt Rachel, he won’t keep his promise!” Tony entered the Kitchen.

“Harry, can you come with me?”

“Er……sure, where are we going?” Harry asked.

“We’re going for a little drive” Tony replied. “There’s something I want to show you.” Rachel overheard the conversation.

“But Tony, everyone else will be here in two hours.”

“We’ll only be an hour hour, maybe less.” Tony said.

“Where are you going?” Rachel asked. Tony looked straight into her eyes.

“Trust me Rach, I need to do this.” Tony softly replied. Rachel began to suspect that Tony was finally going to tell Harry the truth. She nodded, understanding.

“Come Harry.” Tony said. Placing his beer bottle down, Harry followed his father out of the house and into the car.

+++++

Half an hour later…

Tony drove into the main entrance. Looking through the window, Harry read the sign.

“Winton Hill Cemetery? Dad, why are we here?”

“There’s something I have to show you” Tony replied.

A few minutes later, Tony and Harry walked down the line of graves.

“Here” Tony whispered. Harry stared at the grave, then at the stone behind it.

“Peter Holden” Harry read the script. “Dad, who is this?”

“Peter is……” Tony hesitated. “Peter is my father, your grandfather.”

“My Grandad?” Harry asked.

“He is” Tony whispered. “Everyone who knew him called him “Kent” because he spent part of his younger years in the county of Kent in the UK. He loved that place.” Harry stared at the grave again.

“Dad…..why are we here?”

“Well” Tony replied. “You began to ask questions about him, so here we are.”

“Wow” Harry gasped. “After all these years. What was he like?”

“He…….he” Tony struggled to explain. “I promised myself I’d be honest with you, Harry. Your grandfather wasn’t a very nice man.”

“What do you mean?” Harry asked.

“Kent has done many horrible things in his life” Tony explained.

“Such as?” Harry asked. Tony panicked, not knowing what to say to his son.

“Come on Dad, you can tell me.”

“He……he killed your Grandmother.”

“WHAT” Harry said in shock.

“And he tried to do the same to me” Tony added.

“Oh my God!...I………I……..” Harry began to walk away.

“Harry?” Tony called out. Harry stopped and looked at his father.

“My Grandfather’s a murderer?”

“Harry, I…..” Tony was interrupted.

“This is embarrassing” Harry shouted. “All this time, I wondered about him. I knew everyone else in the family. Mum told me about her family. I never knew your Dad, but to find out he killed Grandma, amongst other bad things…….I….I’m embarrassed.”

“What?” Tony asked.

“I’m embarrassed to be in a family with a murderer” Harry yelled. He ran out of the cemetery.

“Harry!” Tony yelled, chasing him from behind.

About a minute later, Tony caught up with Harry, who was inside the car.

“Harry” Tony sighed. “Mate, I’m sorry.” Harry looked up at his father.

“No Dad, I’m the one who should be sorry” Harry replied. “Are you OK?”

“To tell you the truth, I feel a bit hurt.”

“Hurt?” Harry asked.

“It hurt me when you said you felt embarrassed to be in our family.” Tony whispered.

“Dad, I never meant……”

“Please don’t feel embarrassed” Tony said. “Just because your Grandfather did all these terrible things, it doesn’t mean we’re bad people. We are good people Harry and you shouldn’t feel ashamed at all. Jack and Luc love you, Mum loves you, and so do I.”

“You know Dad” Harry replied. “I wish you never told me about him.”

“I just thought you should know the truth” Tony replied. “I never told your brothers about him, but when they found out, it nearly tore our family apart. I told you……..because I don’t wanna lose you. I love you Harry, you know that.” Harry leaned over to hug his father.

“It will take more than a murderer to ever tear us apart” Harry chuckled.

Starting up the engine, Tony and Harry pulled their seat belts on.

“Come on Harry, let’s leave this place and never look back.”

“Ready when you are, Dad” Harry smiled. “

Turning the wheel towards the exit, Tony turned and smiled at his youngest son, before entering the highway to begin the journey back – to his real family back home in beautiful Summer Bay.

THE END.

Comments

Archived