My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

CHAPTER 12: POKER

The sun had set over Summer Bay. Night had fallen and the lights shone around the small town.

6:00PM

Martha came in to the station bringing in dinner for Jack. Jack was working a late shift.

“Hey babe, look what I have for you” Martha said, handing Jack a plastic container with food. The other officers turned around and looked. Jack felt embarrassed.

“OK now I feel like an absolute fool! My wife has to bring my meals to me.” Jack said to his wife, taking the container and placing it on his table.

“Don’t worry, it’s not the first time I come here to bring you your dinner.” Martha reminded him. The other officers giggled silently to each other.

“Thanks.” Jack replied with an uneasy smile.

“OK got to go. Love you.” Martha said, giving Jack a kiss before turning around and leaving. “Bye guys.”

“Bye!” the other officers replied, at once. Once Martha disappeared from the corridor, they all turned their attention back to Jack, who was already blushing with embarrassment.

“Excuse me” Jack said silently. The officers couldn’t help but laugh, even Charlie, who was next door in her office. The door was wide open, so she was able to hear everything.

Jack entered her office. “Hey.”

“Hey” Charlie replied, still giggling quietly to herself.

“Seriously?” Jack asked

“OK I’m sorry, I’ll stop” Charlie replied.

“Any news on the robbery?” Jack asked

“No report from forensics yet. They’re still at the Surf Club and the Gym doing tests and everything.”

“I see” Jack replied. “I hope they finish soon because Dad wants to go back to the Gym as early as possible.” Jack’s phone began to ring. “Hello..........Hey Alf, what’s up?”

+++++

Kent was sitting in the living room of his house. Opening a small tin container, he took out some photos and studied them carefully. Some were aged, others were black and white, but still visible enough to identify the faces.

He then focused on a particular photo. It was that of a young child, probably five or six. Kent stared at the photo before placing it back with the others inside the container and closing the lid.

“Brenda, my dear, you will never stop me from finding my child. Not even any of the police from Alice Springs will stop me. I know my child is here in Summer Bay.” Kent’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a noise coming from outside. Kent got up and looked out the window, but saw no-one.

“Probably just some kid pulling a prank” he thought. He went back to the living room at sat back down in his couch.

But not far away, outside the house, Kent was still being watched by the stalker.

+++++

At the Diner, Alf was busy on his mobile.

“What do you mean there’s a problem. How much longer will it take?.................OK but please be quick........I have a business to run................OK, thanks Jack. Bye.”

Seeing Alf frustrated, Irene began to ask questions.

“What’s the matter this time?” she asked.”

“There’s been more delays with Forensics, it may take another day or so to finish up.” Alf explained.

“Well I’m sure they’ll find out who did it soon enough” Irene reassured him. Colleen came out of the kitchen with some camomile tea for Alf.

“Camomile? What on earth? I asked for normal Tea!” Alf exclaimed.

“Well I was going to make you that, but seeing you worked up like that over the phone, I had to prepare Camomile instead. It calms you down.......well, it calm’s me down.” Colleen explained.

“Maybe we should be giving that to you three times per hour!” Alf replied. Irene giggled whilst Colleen frowned.

“Come on Alfred, It’ll be on the house” Colleen begged.

Alf sighed. “Fine!” he replied as he grabbed the cup and headed to a nearby table.

“There we go. That wasn’t hard was it?” Colleen commented.

“All right, show’s over. Now go to the kitchen and see if Roman has meals ready.” Irene demanded.

+++++

7:00PM

At the poker game, Ruby and Annie were seriously losing money to the boys.

“Stop winning! I’m losing all my money” Annie whinged.

“What? You only lost 50 cents since the start of the game an hour ago!” Jai exclaimed. “If it helps, at least you’re not losing as much as Ruby, who now owes around 10 dollars to Hugo.” Xavier and Hugo chuckled at Jai’s comment.

“Do I need to be reminded?” Ruby replied sarcastically.

“Rules are rules, you owe my brother 10 dollars. Pay up!” Xavier pointed out. Hugo opened up his wallet, ready to collect the cash.

Two minutes later.....

“Give me my money!” Hugo demanded, throwing a pillow at Ruby

“Never!” Ruby yelled back.

“It’s war!” Jai screamed, as the boys and girls engaged in a massive pillow fight which extended to Hugo’s room next door, leaving a trail of mess everywhere, from books on shelves knocked down to cotton wool from pillows scattered on the floor.

“What on earth is going on here?” Everyone looked up to see Gina standing in the doorway. She did not look pleased.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: The Dark Side)

Lucas tries to work his way out of attending the School Camp.

Gina lays down the law on Hugo and Xavier.

Kent’s stalker makes a secret deal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments so far. Not long now until the "cliffhanger chapter" and the beginning of the main storyline.

CHAPTER 13: THE DARK SIDE

It was a bright morning as the sun vibrantly rose over the east of Summer Bay.

8:00AM

Finishing his breakfast, Tony got up from the table and grabbed his keys.

“What have you got planned today?” a curious Rachel asked, hugging him.

“Well,” Tony smiled “First, I’ll go next door to see Luc before he leaves for camp. Then I have to go to the city again and speak to the insurance company about my gym, as well as meet up again with Dennis to discuss buying more gym equipment.”

“Sounds like you have a busy day today” Rachel smiled.

“Yeah I do, but knowing you’ll be here when I come back tonight is all that matters to me.” Tony smiled back. “It’s good that the hospital is giving you a shorter shift today.”

“Yeah.” Rachel replied, giving Tony a kiss. Gina entered at that exact moment.

“Guys, get a room!” Gina joked.

Tony smiled. “Don’t worry Sis, I was just leaving.” Giving Rachel another kiss, Tony left.

“Bye.” Gina yelled out.

Rachel gasped as she looked at her watch.

“What’s the matter?” Gina asked.

“I’m running late. I have to rush off and start my hospital shift, You and the boys have the house to yourselves today. Tony left some breakfast on the stove for you and the boys if you want” Rachel said as she grabbed her bag and headed to the door.

“OK thanks Rachel. Take it easy” Gina said as she headed to the kitchen.

“Bye” Rachel replied back. As she opened the door, she saw Xavier and Hugo standing outside.

“See you boys later.” Rachel said, leaving the door open for them.

“Bye Rach.” The boys said together.

Gina placed the breakfast meal on the table. “OK Boys, eat up, and then clean up.”

“Excuse me?” Xavier asked.

“After your little games with your new friends yesterday, your rooms need a cleanup. Remember, this is your uncle’s house, not yours, so it’s your responsibility to keep it tidy for him.” Gina replied.

Xavier and Hugo, knowing that they will NEVER win in an argument with their mother agreed they will clean up their rooms.

“Good, I’m glad that’s settled. Now we can eat.” Gina smiled at her boys as they all sat down around the dining table.

+++++

Arriving outside the school grounds, Jack and Lucas got out of the car. Opening the boot, Jack helped his brother pick up a couple of bags.

8:30AM

“Have a good day at camp.” Jack said

“Will you be alright without me?” Lucas asked.

“Why are you so concerned about me? Is this because you don’t want to go?” Jack asked? Lucas smiled awkwardly at the hope that Jack won’t let him go to the camp.

“That’s not gonna work with me!” Jack smiled. Lucas just sighed.

“Listen, don’t worry. It’ll be fun, and it’s only a few days. I’ll be with Martha, and Dad will be busy taking care of Rachel, so there’s nothing to worry about.” Jack explained.

“What about Rachel? What if she gives birth? I don’t want to miss the birth of my new brother or sister” asked Lucas. Jack just laughed.

“What?” asked an annoyed Lucas.

“You’re doing it again. You’re just finding an excuse to not go to the camp. Besides, Rachel is not gonna give birth in the next few days. There’s still at least another few months.”

Lucas looked annoyed that his plan to avoid camp failed.

“You’ll have fun, OK? By the time you get back, you’ll wish that you were still there.”

Lucas sighed again.

“OK now go along with your friends and have fun. Dad will pick you up when you return. Bye.”

Lucas reluctantly grabbed the bag from Jack and moved off with the other students in the school.

Entering back into the car, Jack turned on the radio. He started to do a little dance move with his hands and feet.

“YES! Finally a few days with just me and Martha alone in the house! Could this day get any better?” Jack smiled as he finally managed to get his seat belt on and drove off to work.

+++++

9:00AM

Sitting in the car, alone, the stalker reached into the glove box of the car and took out the piece of paper with the phone number. Grabbing the mobile, the stalker turned it on and began to dial.

“Doug it’s me again............I thought about the deal you proposed the other day and I have decided to accept it..........just bring the items over here. I’m in my car on the western end of Bush Valley road near the Yabbie Creek intersection.................don’t worry, I have the cash here with me..............OK.”

+++++

Jack arrived at the police station.

“Hey Jack” Charlie smiled as Jack entered.

“Hey” Jack smiled back.

“What are you smiling about?” Charlie teased. Jack’s smile grew even wider.

“I’m just happy. I mean, now that Lucas is at the school camp, I’ll be able to have some time alone with Martha in the house. Just quality time between the Husband and Wife.”

“Well I’m happy for you, but now we have other things to do.” Charlie commented. “Here, follow up this case for me.” Jack took the folder from Charlie and went to his desk.

+++++

The stalker sat quietly inside the car. The silence inside was interrupted when the mobile rang.

“Hello.......I’m here waiting........do you have the stuff I need.........OK.....I’ll be here and waiting.”

Ten minutes later, a second car arrived. Doug came out of the car and proceeded towards the stalker.

“You’ve got the cash?” Doug asked.

“Two thousand dollars, Right here.” The stalker replied. Counting the money, Doug reached in his car and gave the stalker a small backpack.

“All the stuff is in here.”

“OK thanks. And remember, no one knows about this.” The stalker clearly said.

“Don’t worry, no one will know.” Doug promised. And with that, he got back in his car and left.

The stalker opened up the backpack and grabbed the contents inside. A gun and a few rounds of bullets. Placing it back into the backpack, the stalker began to start the engine to the car.

“Kent will pay for what he’s done!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: From Dirty To Clean)

Gina enlists Hugo with extra cleaning work, to Xavier’s delight.

Rachel tells Julie about her plans to surprise Tony for Dinner.

EDIT: Just realised a typing error in this chapter. It's actually one thousand dollars (not two thousand dollars) in the conversation between the stalker and Doug.

CHAPTER 14: FROM DIRTY TO CLEAN

10:00AM

“I Get the vacuum cleaner” Hugo said

“No you don’t! I do” Xavier said childishly.

“No. I’m the eldest. I get the vacuum cleaner. You can use the bucket and sponge and do all the hard work!” Hugo replied. Gina poked her head into the boy’s bedroom

“Now, boys. I don’t care who does what, just as long as both rooms are spotless and clean” Gina commented whilst inspecting the mess inside. “I don’t want your Uncle Tony to freak out if he sees more mess scattered around in his house. The living room is already scattered with the many baby toys and gifts that Rachel bought on sale at the shops, as well as those personally made and delivered by Colleen. Now get started!” Gina smiled at them and left the room.

Hugo took the vacuum cleaner to his room. He turned to faced Xavier and stuck out his tongue in amusement.

“Whatever” Xavier remarked.

+++++

3:00PM

“See you tomorrow.” Rachel was ready to leave after finishing her shift at the hospital.

“Rachel, don’t forget your shift tomorrow starts early in the morning.” Nurse Julie reminded her.

“Oh, don’t remind me!” Rachel couldn’t help but laugh and roll her eyes. Nurse Julie laughed as well.

“Well don’t worry, it’s your last day tomorrow. You get to have your two weeks leave! Lucky you!”

“Can’t wait!” Rachel said excitedly. “Anyway, I have to stop by at the shops. I have a special dinner to make for Tony tonight as today marks our three year anniversary.”

“Congratulations!” Julie smiled. “And I’m sure he is even happier with the wedding and baby Holden on the way.”

Rachel smiled. “He is over the moon. He loves this baby, just as much as Jack and Lucas.”

“Well, I’m happy for you. Both of you. Actually, all three of you” Julie replied, touching Rachel’s tummy. Rachel couldn’t help but chuckle a little and smile.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.”

“Bye”

About Ten minutes later, Rachel arrived at the shopping centre. Grabbing an empty trolley, she pushed it around the isles, carefully.

“Now what will Tony like?” Rachel thought to herself.

+++++

“All Clean.” Hugo was relieved that his room was finally neat and tidy again. Peeking into his brother’s room next door, he began to tease him.

“You missed a spot.” Hugo informed Xavier.

“Where?” Xavier asked.

“There, there and there.” Hugo pointed at three different spots.

“Oh man!” Xavier exclaimed. At that moment, Gina walked in.

“Well boys, this looks much better now. Isn’t it nice to have a clean room for a change?”

“Whatever” Xavier replied. Gina couldn’t help but smile. She knew that boys will always be boys.

“And besides,” Gina continued, “It will make Rachel and Tony happy, seeing as this is actually their house!” Hugo and Xavier just rolled their eyes.

Gina noticed some spots in Xavier’s room that still needed to be cleaned. “Well, Xavier, you still need to finish off a few spots.”

“Ha Ha. Told you so!” Hugo teased his little brother and smiled.

“And, seeing as you room is already clean Hugo, maybe you can help your brother in here” Gina smiled. Hugo suddenly wiped the smile off his face.

“OK I’m off to the hospital, and then I will be off to the shops.” Gina said, grabbing her bag and her car keys. “Once you have finished, then you can settle down and watch a movie or something. Bye.”

“Bye mum” Xavier replied as she got into her car and drove off. “Ha Ha. Now you have to help me!” Xavier said childishly to his brother.”

“Shut up” replied Hugo, jokingly smacking his brother over the head.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Revealed!) - "Cliffhanger Chapter"

Kent’s stalker is finally revealed.

Charlie makes a discovery after receiving a letter from the mystery lady.

There you go guys, the wait is nearly over! Next chapter, everything is revealed and the main storyline will begin. :wink:

OK, this is it!!! the chapter you've been waiting for is finally here. :)

The "Cliffhanger Chapter!" :o:P

CHAPTER 15: REVEALED!

In the Diner…..

“Just wait until I catch the flamin’ mongrel that ruined my business!” An enraged Alf exclaimed.

“Now now, just calm down. We don’t want a heart attack, do we?” Colleen remarked.

“Colleen, table seven please.” Irene said, handing her a plate of food.

“Hey, I’m only trying to calm him down” Colleen said

“Hey, I’m only running a business here!” Irene replied. “Now, table seven please!” Colleen reluctantly took the plate and left the kitchen.

“And you, this goes to table nine.” Irene said to Alf, handing another plate from Roman. “And I don’t want to hear anymore whining about the Surf Club. Don’t worry, the police will catch them and you’ll get your bar back in no time.”

Alf replied “Just as long as whoever’s responsible is caught. The sooner, the better.” Irene became fed up with Alf.

“Yeah Yeah, hope they catch them soon. Now go on. Table Nine!”

“Hey, steady on woman!” Alf remarked, as he left the kitchen. Irene just rolled her eyes and Roman smiled.

Noticing the smile, Irene stared right at his face.

“What are you laughing at? You’ve got more cooking to do!”

Roman laughed silently at himself “I love mad, bossy Irene.”

“What did you say?”

Roman suddenly stopped laughing. “Nothing” he replied. When Irene left the kitchen, Roman smiled again.

+++++

At the hospital, Gina approached the reception desk.

3:30PM

“Hello Ms Austin” Nurse Julie said.

“Hi Julie” Gina replied. “Is Doctor Jim Winston available?” Julie checked her computer.

“He’s with another patient right now. He should be finished in about ten minutes”

“Oh I see” Gina replied. “I can’t wait that long. I have to head off to the shops before they close. Can I leave this with you?” Gina asked, handing Julie an envelope.

“What is it?” Julie asked.

“It’s just the cheque I promised to give to Doctor Winston for Brendan’s stay here. I went to the bank yesterday to get the payment sorted out. If you could pass it on to Jim, that would be great.” Gina said.

“No worries. I’ll pass it on to him.”

“Thanks.” Gina replied as she left.

+++++

6:00PM

“Charlie, this just came in. I think it’s for you.” Constable Watson entered Charlie’s office, handing her a letter. “By the way, I’m heading to the Diner to grab a coffee, you want one?”

An exhausted Charlie suddenly gave a sigh of relief.

“Yes, that will be lovely, thanks.”

“No worries,” replied Watson as she left the office and closed the door behind her.

Charlie noted two stamps on the top right corner of the envelope. One was labelled ‘Express Mail’ while the other had a picture of a Kangaroo with the words ‘Alice Springs’ printed underneath.

“Alice Springs? Who would know me over there?” she thought to herself. Then she suddenly realised that the calls from the anonymous lady over the past few days was traced back to Alice Springs. Did the lady manage to track down Charlie after all?

Opening the letter, Charlie saw that it was a hand-written message. It read:

To the Constable in charge,

I apologise for not revealing my identity over the phone but I thought it would be safer if I write to you in person.

My name is Brenda and I am writing this letter to warn you of a danger that awaits Summer Bay. My son and daughter live there and I fear that they will be targeted. I am writing this letter from hospital as I was attacked by my husband a few days ago. He is an alcoholic and a very bad tempered man. Word has spread from my contacts in Alice Springs that he has fled to your town. I’ve tried to tell this to the police here but they just wouldn’t take it seriously. I’ve also tried to warn my son, but I can’t get through to him for some reason.

Please catch him before he harms my son or daughter, ESPECIALLY MY SON. My husband’s name is Kent ..........

Charlie was shocked after reading Kent’s surname.

“No. It can’t be!” she thought. Then she immediately realised who Brenda and Kent’s son was.

+++++

It was now evening, as the sun slowly disappeared over the west of Summer Bay.

6:30PM

The Stalker pulled up just a couple of hundred metres away from Kent’s house. Opening the backpack given by Doug, the stalker took out the gun and loaded two bullets inside.

Slowly walking towards the front door, the stalker knocked on Kent’s door. Inside, Kent was slightly annoyed that he was interrupted from the bath that he was preparing for himself. Turning off the tap, Kent went up to the front door, turning the knob and pulling the door wide open.

“Can I help you?” Kent asked, only to be suddenly shocked at who was standing in front of him – the stalker was no other than his son! Noticing the gun that his son held pointing directly at him, Kent began to panic.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

“Hi Dad, remember me?” Tony said in disgust.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Hurting)

Tony holds his father at gunpoint, but why?

Charlie is left reeling after discovering Kent’s real identity, but why is she hiding it from Jack?

Irene gives Rachel a gift from the Diner.

And so, the main storyline begins.....

I knew you guys would get a shock from that previous chapter :wink:

Anyway, we are now at the start of the main storyline in this fic. The other storylines (i.e. robbery) will still play out along the way. (I counted a total of 60 chapters on Word, so there's still plenty more to come.) - also it's not just the robbery, there are still many other small storylines that are yet to start.

CHAPTER WARNING: Mention of violence/abuse present in this chapter.

CHAPTER 16: HURTING

Tony stood there with the gun pointed straight at his father, waiting for answers.

“DO YOU REMEMBER ME? DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID?” Tony was now angry. Kent saw Tony put his finger closer to the trigger.

“Listen, son, just put the gun down and let’s talk....”

“DON’T YOU START WITH ME!” Tony yelled. “After what you’ve done to me all those years ago, you are the last person I want to see in my life.”

Kent pleaded once again to his son “Please, let’s just talk.” Slowly lowering the gun and placing it back into his pocket, Tony entered the house.

“Let’s talk then.”

+++++

Meanwhile, Rachel was at the Diner with Irene for an evening coffee after finishing her shopping.

“Thanks for the coffee Irene. I have to go. Tony should be back from the city soon.”

“No worries.” Irene replied.

A smile glowed on Rachel’s face as she got off from the seat and reached for her bag.

“Planning something, are we?” Irene asked, noticing the smile on Rachel’s face. Rachel sat back down.

“Shh...don’t tell anyone, especially Colleen because......you know.” Irene nodded. Rachel continued “I’m planning a surprise meal for Tony tonight as today marks three years since we got together!” Irene got up and hugged Rachel

“Oh love, I’m so happy for you.” Irene then went behind the counter, grabbing a bottle of wine.

“You know what; take this with you for tonight. It’s on the house, a gift from me.”

“Irene, thank you so much” Rachel happily replied. “I can’t drink it though, but I’m sure Tony will love this.” Grabbing her bag and thanking Irene once more, she left the Diner.

+++++

6:40PM

Charlie read the letter once again, still in shock.

“Kent Holden, Tony and Gina’s dad, Jack and Lucas’ grandfather” she thought to herself. Charlie then turned her attention to the TV screen, which was on. It was the news. Watching it, Charlie suddenly became attentive at the current report and turned up the volume.

“Police in Alice Springs are still searching for a suspect in an attempted murder case. Officers have revealed that Kent Peter Holden had attacked his wife Brenda Jane Holden at their family home, then fled from the scene. It is believed that the argument between the couple started after Brenda attempted to file for divorce, following Kent’s drunken behaviour, as stated by friends and neighbours. Police, however have not stated why they have delayed questioning Brenda on Kent’s possible whereabouts. Anyone with information should contact the authorities immediately.”

“Oh my God!” Charlie whispered. “It’s true then. Kent must be here in Summer Bay!” Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Charlie quickly hid the letter in her desk drawer and switched off the TV.

“Come in” she yelled. Jack came in and closed the door behind him.

“Hi Charlie. Watson asked me to hand you this.” Jack said, handing over a nice warm cup of coffee.

“Thanks, I really needed one.” Charlie smiled. “Any news?”

“Forensics are still finishing off at the Surf Club. Other than that, we’ve just got a call from a lady who said she saw from her upstairs window, a man holding what appears to be a gun, enter the house next door.” Jack replied. “She left the address to us. I think we should check it out.” Charlie then suddenly remembered the warning that Brenda wrote on the letter and feared that the man with the gun could be related to the incident in Alice Springs. It could be Kent himself.

“Is Everything OK Charlie?” A curious Jack asked. Charlie paused for a moment, thinking whether to tell Jack the truth about Kent and the letter from Brenda.

“I’m OK.” Charlie replied. She didn’t want to reveal Kent’s real Identity to anyone else, not even Jack until he was caught first.

“OK, let’s check it out. Call Watson and Richard and tell them to serve as backup.”

Jack nodded and left the office. As Charlie got up, ready to leave, the phone rang.

“Charlie Buckton speaking............Rachel.............slow down, what’s up?”

“Charlie, I’m a bit worried, Tony hasn’t come home yet. The supplier in the city who Tony was to meet today just called me and said that he never showed up. Something doesn’t sound right”

Charlie tried to calm Rachel down. “Listen, just wait a while, I’m sure he’ll turn up OK? I’m sorry Rachel but I need to go. I’m currently on duty.”

Charlie placed the phone down and began to think. Suddenly she assumed the worst that Tony may have gone to confront Kent. Leaving the office, she yelled to Jack and Constable Watson.

“Let’s go.”

+++++

“Listen son, I came here to see you” Kent said to his furious son, who was now seated at the opposite end of the room.

“WHY WOULD I WANT TO SEE YOU, AFTER WHAT YOU DONE?” Tony yelled at his father.

“Look son, I.....”

Tony interrupted “NO. I’ll tell you what you did. Remember my childhood, back in Alice Springs, the abuse you gave to me. You hated me, whilst constantly screaming I wasn’t good enough in the family? Kent looked straight into his son’s eyes, seeing the tears begin to form and slowly flow down his cheeks.

“Do you remember when I was 7 and the shed caught fire? I yelled at you to help me as I was trapped inside and you just stood there, perhaps wanting to leave me dead. In my entire childhood, all I ever did was try to prove to you I was a good son and all you did was reject me in return. You hurt me, badly, both when you were and weren’t drunk. Don’t you know how I felt? Tony buried his head in his hands, consumed by grief.

Kent began to speak. “Son, I had to come to see you. Your Mother’s dead.” Tony looked up at his father in a mixture of shock and sadness

“What?.........no.......not mum. First Kate, then Beth, now mum.” Tony buried his head in his hands again, sobbing.

+++++

At the Holden House, Rachel was alone, by herself in the living room. Hugo and Xavier were still inside the annexe part, whilst Gina was still at the shops.

“Why do you have to be late tonight, Tony? Where are you?” Rachel said to herself. She was disappointed at the thought that the surprise dinner was most likely not going to happen.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the phone suddenly rang. Rachel quickly picked it up.

“Hello.............I’m sorry, Tony’s not here, this is his fiancé, Rachel. May I ask who I’m speaking to............Brenda Holden…………I see, you must be Tony’s mum………..”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Phone Call)

A shocking phone call from Rachel drives Tony to breaking point when he realises Kent lied about his mother being dead.

Will Charlie, Jack, Richard and Watson reach Tony in time?

PLUS: A plot follow-up – A small summary of the clues which has led to what has happened so far in the major storyline.

Thanks for the comments. The answer to you last post, Red Ranger, can be found in the "Plot Follow-Up" section, located at the end of this chapter.

CHAPTER WARNING: Mention of abuse/violence present in this chapter

CHAPTER 17: PHONE CALL

“I’m sorry son, but that’s the truth.” Kent told his distraught son. Suddenly, Tony’s phone rang. Wiping the tears away from his eyes and clearing his throat, he reached in his pocket to grab his phone.

“Hello?”

“Tony, thank God I finally got through to you. Where are you?” a worried Rachel asked.

“Oh Rach, sorry, it must have been reception problems. I’ll be back soon.” Tony replied.

“Dennis the gym supplier rang, saying you didn’t meet him in the city.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll reschedule with Dennis for next week.” Tony replied.

“Well.....OK then. Oh by the way, your mother Brenda somehow managed to get in contact here at home by phone about a minute ago, wanting to speak to you. She must have managed to find out our home number” Tony was shocked at what Rachel just said.

“MY MOTHER?.......er.......OK I’ll be back soon.........OK bye.” Tony placed the phone back in his pocket, but his attention went back directly to his father. Tears once again began to form in his eyes.

Kent stood up and went towards him.

“You know what son, we....”

“SHUT UP!” Tony screamed, pulling the gun out and pointing it again at his father.

+++++

Rachel went back to the Diner and sat down. Irene saw her and sat down with her.

7:00PM

“What Happened?” Irene asked. “Oh no, don’t tell me Tony didn’t like the wine!”

Rachel sighed “Tony’s not home, I can’t serve my surprise dinner now.” Rachel felt sad that the love of her life didn’t come home in time.

“Oh love, I’m so sorry” Irene replied. “Tell you what, why don’t I fix up some dinner for you. You look like you need a meal yourself. I’ll get Roman to cook you something.”

Rachel accepted her offer. “Thanks Irene”.

+++++

Charlie and Jack, followed by Watson and Richard pulled up outside the address.

“OK here’s the plan...” Charlie told Jack. “We will enter from the front, while Watson and Richard will enter from the back. Be warned, he is armed.” Jack nodded.

As they got out of the car, Jack noticed another car parked not too far away.

“Wait a Minute, that’s Dad’s car. What’s he doing here?” Charlie looked in Jack’s direction and spotted the car.

“Oh no!” Charlie whispered.

+++++

“What are you doing? Kent asked his son.

“I’m doing what I should have done a long time ago.” Tony replied angrily. “You are unbelievable, you know that?” Kent looked confused.

Tony began to raise his voice, now ferocious as ever. “MUM’S NOT DEAD! YOU LIED TO ME!”

“No son, she IS dead, she......” Kent was interrupted halfway when Charlie and Jack crashed through the front door.

“OH MY GOD, DAD!” Jack yelled, seeing the gun on his father’s hand. Charlie was equally just as shocked. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

“I can’t believe you show your face here in Summer Bay, after what you did to me.” Tony said to his father. “All those years of pain and suffering that you gave me. For years I couldn’t sleep without the constant reminder of the hitting and the punching.” Tony’s tears began to flow uncontrollably, his voice trembling. Jack began to slowly move towards his father.

“Dad, please, give me the gun. Don’t do something you’ll regret. I don’t know who this creep is but you need to calm down. Please Dad?” Tony shook his head.

“No, not until he hears what I have to say.”

Turning his attention back to Kent, Tony continued to speak.

“You have no idea what it feels like, do you? To be rejected and hated by your own father.” Tony’s voice grew louder as a terrified Jack and Charlie looked on, cautiously.

“You gave me a terrible childhood, over nine years of hate and constant suffering. It only ended when I fled with Kate to Broken Hill. I hate you and I never want to see you again!”

Jack was confused. “Dad, who is this guy?”

Kent then stood up from his seat, prompting Charlie to pull out her gun.

“YOU KNOW WHAT, I CAME HERE TO TRY AND TALK TO YOU, BUT NOW I DON’T CARE ANYMORE.” Kent yelled at his son. “You WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH, YOU WERE A TERRIBLE SON!” Jack was shocked realising that the man standing before him was his grandfather.

Kent continued. “You WERE A DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY, YOU COULDN’T EVEN LIVE UP TO MY EXPECTATIONS.”

Tony’s face grew red with anger, his finger slowly touching the trigger. Fearing the worst, Charlie tried to calm him down.

“Please Tony, put down the gun. I promise you, you won’t be in trouble if you put down the gun.” Charlie pleaded. Tony ignored her.

“You’re a little troublemaker. You and your mother brought shame and disgrace to the family. You are nothing but a horrible, horrible son!” Kent laughed with disgust.

Suddenly the gun went off. BANG!

“NO!!” Jack yelled.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Live or Die)

Did Tony shoot his father?

Irene, Roman and Martha are excited for Rachel as the due date draws near.

PLOT FOLLOW-UP: A week ago, (a couple of days before the first chapter), Kent Peter Holden (Tony/Gina’s father) had attacked his wife Brenda Jane Holden (Tony/Gina’s mother) on a drunken rampage in Alice Springs (This was hinted from the newspaper article Alf and Colleen read in Chapter One). Believing that Brenda had died in the attack, Kent fled to Summer Bay to avoid the police in Alice Springs and rented a place to stay from Ray Henderson’s agency under the name ‘Paul.’ Knowing that his son and daughter live in the Bay, Kent wanted to track them down, but unknown to him, he was stalked by Tony, who managed to find out his father’s presence and tried to seek revenge on him because of his father’s alcoholic abuse to him when he was young. When they meet face-to-face, Kent tells Tony that Brenda has died, but little did they both know that Brenda was in fact, still alive, and it was confirmed through the mysterious phone calls and the letter to Charlie. It was also confirmed when Brenda finally tracks down the phone number of the Holden House and calls Rachel, looking for her son. Rachel passes on the message to Tony, who then realises that his mother is still alive and that his father had lied to him.

Thanks for the comments, there's still plenty more to come in this fic.

Anyway, here's the next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER WARNING: (Small amount of) violence present in this chapter.

CHAPTER 18: LIVE OR DIE

Jack and Charlie watched in horror at what just happened. Tony’s hand began shaking after the gun shot.

“Ha Ha Ha...” Kent laughed at his son. “No wonder why you’re stupid. You couldn’t even aim the gun properly, even if for example we were to be robbed back in Alice Springs and you had to shoot to protect yourself.”

Jack was now scared for his father. “PLEASE DAD, GIVE ME THE GUN!”

“I MISSED ON PURPOSE, YOU FOOL!” Tony yelled at his father. “DO YOU THINK THAT I WILL WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE IN PRISON FOR MURDERING YOU? NO, I DON’T THINK SO!”

Kent replied with just a laugh.

At that moment, Watson and Richard crashed through the back door, after hearing the shot.

“OH MY GOD, MR HOLDEN!” Both officers were just as shocked as Charlie and Jack.

“Come on then, this may be the last chance to prove you are worthy in the family. Go ahead and shoot, and this time, don’t miss!” Kent said to his son.

“Dad, don’t do this. Give me the gun.” Jack begged his father, worried that he will shoot again. Tony knew that there was one bullet left in the gun.

“Come on, you know you want to!” Kent said, challenging his son.

“DAD, NO, PLEASE DON’T!” Jack yelled. Tony felt confused, whilst at the same time tempted to shoot. Suddenly he snapped out of his trance. Shaking heavily in shock and fear, Tony turned around to his son and gave him the gun.

“NOW!” yelled Charlie. Watson and Richard rushed to Kent, pinning him down to the ground and handcuffing him. Tony, unable to hold back the anger and hurt anymore let out a loud cry and collapsed on the ground.

“DAD!” Jack yelled as he caught his father in his arms. Tony began to cry uncontrollably.

“Don’t worry Dad, everything is going to be OK now” Jack reassured his father, hugging him.

As Constable Watson led Kent outside into the police car, Charlie went back in and knelt on the ground beside Jack and Tony. Placing her hand on Tony’s shoulder. Charlie spoke to him.

“You did the right thing Tony. Now you have nothing to worry about. He won’t hurt you now.”

Tony began to cry again. Jack sighed, as he pulled his father into a hug.

+++++

Exhausted after cleaning Xavier’s room, the brothers sat down in the living room of the Holden House, ready to watch a DVD when suddenly the phone rang. Hugo got up to answer it.

“Hello?.................Oh Hey Jack, Xavier and I are about to watch a movie and you’re welcome to join us.................hang on, slow down....what’s happened?......................Uncle Tony............what?......”

Hugo hung up the phone just as his mother arrived.

“How are my two lovely boys?” Gina asked. Noticing the reaction on Hugo’s face, Gina became concerned.

“Hugo, what’s wrong?”

“It’s Uncle Tony.” Hugo replied.

+++++

7:30PM

“So I hear the due date is drawing near. You must be excited as ever!” Irene said, as she smiled at Rachel. Roman and Martha joined them at the table, ready to hear more about the baby news.

"Well, you can't really say near" Rachel chuckled. "There's still another five months to go."

"Well, as each day goes by, you are another step closer to becoming a mother" Martha smiled.

“The Baby’s kicking!” Rachel exclaimed as she gently placed her hand on her tummy. Irene, Roman and Martha also joined in.

“Wow, a baby Holden!” Roman exclaimed. “Tony is so lucky to have you.” Rachel smiled at Roman’s comment.

At that moment, Jack entered the Diner, holding onto his father who was evidently still in shock. Charlie followed behind them. This was enough to grab Martha’s attention from the corner of her eye.

“Oh my God, Jack what’s happened?” Martha asked with concern. Rachel turned around to see Tony and gasped when she saw him in his current state. She could tell that her fiancé was crying.

“What’s the matter?” she asked?

Roman got up from his seat. “Here mate, why don’t you sit down, I’ll get you a glass of water.” Jack guided his father to the seat whilst Roman went behind the counter to grab a glass.

“What on earth happened?” Martha asked again.

“There has been an incident, but it’s all over now.” Jack replied.

“What incident?” Rachel asked. Tony began to curl his hands into a fist and banged it repeatedly on the table, louder on each thump and enough to grab the attention of everyone else in the Diner. Rachel grabbed his clenched fists.

“Stop, Tony. Tell me what’s wrong.” Tony however, got off his seat and made his way to an abandoned table on the other end of the Diner to be alone. Jack sighed.

Gina, Hugo and Xavier rushed into the Diner.

“Where is he? What’s happened?” a frantic Gina asked Charlie. Seeing Tony alone at the other table, Gina went towards him but was stopped by Jack.

“Best if we leave Dad alone for a while Aunt Gina, he’s very upset. Here, sit down. I’ll tell you everything.” Gina nodded, taking a seat alongside the others, with Hugo and Xavier standing behind her, keeping one eye on Tony from a distance. Jack and Charlie began to tell the group the story.....

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Offering Support)

Tony lashes out at Roman, leaving him upset.

Gina, Jack and Rachel find out what happened to Brenda.

CHAPTER 19: OFFERING SUPPORT

Everyone at the table was in shock after hearing the story.

8:00PM

Rachel gasped. “My God! Poor Tony. I can’t believe his own father would hurt him like that.

How could someone do such a thing?”

Gina answered. “I knew that Dad had a drinking and temper problem, but that was a long time ago, back when Tony and I were living in Alice Springs. He told me he’d changed.”

“We’re just lucky that we got there in time” Jack replied.

“How on earth did he get hold of a gun?” Rachel asked.

“That’s what we have to find out” Charlie replied. “I’m going to take Tony down to the station after this.”

“We just brought Dad here first because Charlie said that you were worried, Rachel” Jack added.

Roman approached Tony at the other end of the Diner with a glass of water.

“Here, mate. Take this.” Roman said, handing him the glass.

“I DON’T WANT IT! I WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE!” Tony angrily replied.

“Listen Tony, I know you’re going through a hard time, but just let me help you.” Roman pleaded.

“JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!” Tony screamed, taking the glass of water and throwing it on ground. The crash of the glass caught everyone’s attention. Roman, stunned at his friend’s erratic behaviour walked off into the kitchen, followed by Charlie.

“I don’t understand. I was just trying to help.” Roman said.

“Don’t take this personally.” Charlie replied. “Tony’s had a really bad day. It will take some time before he is back to his usual cheerful self.”

“He’s been my friend for the past couple years. I’ve never seen him like this.” Roman said

Charlie sighed. She pulled Roman into a hug.

“Don’t worry. When he wants to talk, he’ll talk about it.” Charlie reassured her boyfriend.

+++++

Outside the Diner, Rachel, Gina and Jack gathered together.

“When we searched Kent’s house, we found this.” Jack said, handing his aunt Gina a photograph. It was the same photograph of the young child that Kent took out earlier.

“Oh my God!” Gina gasped. “My poor baby Brother!” She handed the photo to Rachel, who burst into tears.” Jack gave her a hug.

“Your Dad didn’t deserve this!” Rachel wept. Jack’s eyes began to fill with tears.

“I know” he replied. “But now, I suppose this answers everything.”

“What do you mean?” Rachel asked.

“Dad never told me or Luc about Grandad.” Jack replied. “Every time either of us asked about him, Dad would just change the subject. Now, I know that’s why Dad would always treat us nicely, like mates. He doesn’t want us to follow what Grandad put him through.”

“This also explains why Dennis, the gym supplier rang me up this afternoon” Rachel said.

“Sorry?” Jack asked.

“Tony said that he was going to the city to see Dennis to discuss the gym, but this afternoon, Dennis rang me up and said he never showed. I mean, that explains everything – Tony lied about the city. Instead he spent each day keeping track of Kent.”

“That must be what happened” Jack replied. “I just wish Dad told us about this, rather than taking matters in his own hands. Grandad must have been so terrible to him when he was young.”

Charlie came towards them.

“I just got a call from Watson back at the station. A couple of officers from Alice Springs will be coming tomorrow to formally charge Kent and transfer him back there. He’s a wanted man over there.”

“What will he be charged with?” Gina asked.

“Assault, as well as attempted murder” Charlie replied. Gina, Jack and Rachel looked confused.

“Assault? Attempted murder? What?” Rachel asked. “Oh my God, Did he try to kill Tony?”

“Please tell us!” Jack cried.

“No, no. Not Tony. His wife Brenda.” Charlie said.

“WHAT??” Gina angrily responded.

+++++

Back inside, Irene, Martha, Hugo and Xavier kept an eye on Tony from a distance.

“I still can’t believe Jack’s grandfather would do such a thing. No wonder why Tony wanted to get rid of him.” Martha spoke out.

“It’s just unbelievable.” Hugo sighed.

“I know, love” Irene replied. “But just think that it was good timing that Jack and Charlie came. Imagine what Tony would have done. How on earth did he get hold of a gun in the first place?”

Gina walked in and approached her brother, putting her arm around him.

“Oh Tony, I’m so sorry. If only I knew Dad was here” Gina sighed, pulling her little brother into a hug. Tony, still in shock began to speak.

“What was I doing? What was I thinking? A Gun?” Tony asked, tears appearing in his eyes. “This is not me!”

“It’s not your fault.” Gina reassured him. “Listen, why don’t we go? Charlie just wants to have a chat with you at the station.

“Am I in trouble?” Tony asked.

“You’re not in trouble” Gina replied. “Charlie just wants to know what happened. Don’t worry; Jack will be with you as well. Come on, let’s go.”

Tony stood up from his seat. Gina held onto him as they slowly made their way out. Hugo and Xavier, along with Martha followed them out of the Diner.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Father and Daughter)

After learning about the attack on Brenda, Gina confronts her father.

CHAPTER 20: FATHER AND DAUGHTER

The next morning was fairly chilly, as a cold breeze blew over Summer Bay. At the Bachelor Pad, Jack was the first to wake up, followed by Gina and Hugo.

6:30AM

“Thanks for letting Mum, Xavier and I stay here. I just thought that it would be good that Tony and Rachel had some time alone last night without us next door.” Hugo told Jack.

“No problem.” Jack replied. “You, Xavier and Aunt Gina are welcome to stay here as long as you want.”

Gina smiled at her nephew. “Thanks Jack. How was Tony at the station last night?”

“Still in shock” Jack sighed. “He said he couldn’t remember how he got the gun when Charlie asked him. I’m just worried that Dad didn’t tell her the full story, but I don’t blame him. He was so stressed out. I just hope Charlie doesn’t put him in trouble.”

“Maybe give Tony a couple of days to rest and he might be able to remember everything” Gina suggested.

“All I know is Dad told Charlie that he first noticed Kent in Summer Bay when he was waiting in the car while Rachel was at the Butcher’s shop on the day they went out on the picnic. Dad was parked opposite Ray Henderson’s real estate agency and he saw Kent coming out of the doors. Since then he lied to everyone about heading off to the city to see the gym supplier and instead spent each day stalking Kent, eventually figuring out that Ray gave Kent an available house to rent under a fake name – ‘Paul.’ That was the house we raided last night and the house we found Dad and Kent.”

“My guess is Dad found out that Tony and I are living here” Gina said. “He was renting the house because his intention was to stay here and track us down.”

“Perhaps” Jack replied. “The only thing that puzzles me is how did Dad get hold of a gun?”

“That puzzles me too.” Gina wondered. Jack decided to change the subject.

“Anyway, what do you guys like for breakfast?”

“You guys make something for yourselves, I have to head out.” Gina said, heading towards the door.

“Where to?” Hugo asked.

“Just out. I have to take care of something first.” Gina responded.

“er......OK see you later” Jack replied.

+++++

7:00AM

“Mr. Holden, you have a visitor” Constable Watson led Kent out of the cell and into an interview room. Once Kent was seated, Watson went out to call the visitor.

“Ms. Austin. Your Father’s here. Please come with me.”

“Thank you” Gina replied. “Am I able to speak to him alone?”

“OK, but I have to keep an eye through the security camera. An officer will be waiting outside the door when you are ready to leave.”

“Thanks” Gina replied, as she stood up and entered the room. Watson headed out to the office and turned on the monitor.

“Gina! It’s nice to see you.” Kent spoke as Gina sat down on the opposite end of the table.

“How could you do such a thing? To Mum?” Gina angrily asked “Last time I was in Alice Springs, you told me that you’ll promise to change. You told me that you would stop drinking and reconcile with Mum.”

Kent replied. “I tried to, but....” Gina interrupted him.

“BUT WHAT? YOU TRIED TO KILL HER!” Gina yelled. “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU. WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING? WAS IT BECAUSE MUM THREATENED TO GO AHEAD WITH THE DIVORCE?” Kent stared directly into his daughter’s eyes.

“Oh my God, that’s why.” Anger began to show in Gina’s voice. “Well you know what, I don’t blame mum. After the way you treated Tony all those years ago.....” Gina stopped, overcome by emotion.

Kent stood up and put his hand around Gina to hug her. Constable Watson, who was watching from the monitor became alert at this and began to head down to the interview room.

“GET OFF ME!” Gina demanded, grabbing her father’s arms and pulling them away. Watson, along with two other officers entered the room. The officers went towards Kent and began to lead him out of the room.

“Ms Austin, I’m sorry. You have to go.” Watson said. Gina turned to her father once more.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT YOU DID TO MUM AND TONY. I HATE YOU!”

“Ms Austin, please.” Watson spoke again.

“Yes I know. I’ll leave.” Gina replied.” She looked at her father once again in disgust.

“I’m just glad that you’ll be in jail, where you will never hurt anyone of us again.” Gina said, as she turned around and left the room.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Haunted by the Past)

Tony begins to recall his terrible childhood memories.

Gina returns to Alice Springs to visit her mother.

Martha receives a text message from Jack. What does Jack have in store for his wife?

Thanks for the comments :) Here is the next Chapter.

CHAPTER WARNING: (Small/Medium amount of) violence present in this chapter.

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashback scenes present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE.

CHAPTER 21: HAUNTED BY THE PAST

8:00AM

“You silly kid! What have you done?” A highly intoxicated Kent asked his six year old son.

“I’m sorry Dad, I didn’t mean it. It was just an accident” Tony looked at the chunks of glass scattered across the kitchen floor. Twelve drinking glasses were broken, including his father’s expensive beer mug.

“I TOLD YOU TO STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!” Kent yelled as he slowly rolled up his sleeves and walked towards him. Tony crouched down on the corner, scared as he looked up at his father. He could see the fury in his eyes.

“I’m sorry Dad.” Tony began to cry. “I just wanted to grab my Toy soldiers that mum left on the shelf and then the glasses.......” Kent grabbed his son by the shirt.

“I’ll show you what it’s like to disobey me!” Kent yelled.

Tony rose up from his bed, gasping for air. Sweat covered his face and stained his shirt. Looking at his bedside clock, it read 8:00AM. He then turned over to his other side, but saw that Rachel was not there.

Tony headed for the living room and found a note on the table. He picked up the note and read it.

I’m very sorry. I have to go in early for my final shift at the hospital. Hugo and Alf will come in later to look after you. I should be finished at 1:00pm. Rachel xx.

Tony sighed. All he wanted with him right now was his fiancé.

+++++

“Hey Alf, what can I get you?” Irene asked as Alf approached the counter.

“Hey Irene, just two takeaway breakfast meals please.” Alf said, pulling out his wallet to count up the money.

“Coming right up” Irene smiled. “Hey, I suppose you haven’t heard”

“Actually, Martha told me last night. Poor Tony. I can’t imagine what he went through.” Alf commented. “But that’s why I’m here. Rachel called and said she had to go to the hospital early so she asked me to keep him company for the morning. I thought he might cheer up with a nice hot meal.”

“Well,” Irene spoke. “After what happened here last night, Tony will need one heck of a cheering up.”

“Why, what else happened?” a curious Alf asked.

“He was so angry, that he lashed out at Roman and thrashed one of my glasses on the floor.”

“The poor man” Alf sighed.

Colleen came out of the kitchen with two takeaway containers.

“Here you go Alf” Colleen said, handing him the meals. “Oh by the way, do you know what you should make for Tony when you get there?”

“Not your flamin’ camomile tea again!” Alf commented, rolling his eyes.

“Why not, it’s the one thing he needs to relieve any anger and frustration.”

“Colleen, the last thing he needs is Camomile Tea. What he needs right now is our full support.” Alf sternly replied.

“That’s true” Irene commented. “And, the first thing I need right now is some help in preparing meals.

“These meals won’t deliver themselves” Roman yelled from the kitchen.

+++++

In the City, Gina and Hugo had arrived at the Airport terminal.

10:30AM

“Thanks for helping me” Gina smiled at her son as she placed the last of her bags on the baggage carousel. “I’m sorry for doing this right now.”

“It’s OK” Hugo replied. “Grandma Brenda also needs you. “I’ll keep an eye on Uncle Tony. Rachel asked me to keep a watch on him this afternoon after Alf, until she comes back home.”

“Don’t forget Xavier and Brendan?”

“I’ll keep an eye on them. Brendan too” Hugo smiled.

An announcement came out through the loudspeaker

“This is the final call for passengers on Gate 15 boarding for Alice Springs.”

Gina turned her attention back to Hugo once more.

“Now listen. Your Uncle doesn’t know about what happened to Grandma Brenda, so promise me, not a word until I get back. I don’t want Tony to carry any more stress than he already had with what happened last night. Promise me.”

“I promise” Hugo replied.

“OK Hugo, take care. I’ll call you as soon as I land in Alice Springs.” Gina gave her son a small hug, before taking her bag and heading out.

“Bye Mum” Hugo said.

+++++

12:00PM

Martha was taking a stroll along the beach, when her mobile beeped. Taking her mobile out, Martha went to ‘Messages’ and opened one that was just sent from Jack.

Hey Babe, Charlie’s letting me leave early, so I’ll be home early. I have a surprise for you. Don’t come home until six. Love you. Jack xx.

Martha smiled at herself. What was Jack planning tonight? Putting her phone back in her bag, Martha continued along the beach.

+++++

1:00PM

The sun glowed over Summer Bay, giving a warm change from the cool breeze that blew earlier. Tony dozed off on the couch after Alf left.

Tony ran from the kitchen, through the hallway and into his bedroom, locking the door behind him.

“Come back here!” Kent yelled. “You think you can get away from me after breaking my things?” Tony could hear his father’s footsteps thumping hard on the wooden floors.

He hid under the covers of his bed, hugging his teddy bear, crying. “Open the door!” Kent yelled out. Suddenly, Tony could hear his father kicking on the door. After a few attempts, the hinges gave way and the door flung wide open.

“Now I’ve got you!” Kent scowled as he pulled out the blanket and grabbed his son.

“Please Dad, NO!!............NO!!”

“Uncle Tony?” Hugo called out.

“NO!!” Tony cried. Hugo rushed to the couch

“It’s OK, I’m here now.” Hugo assured his uncle.

“WHERE’S GINA? WHERE IS SHE?” Tony got up and began to search the house.

“Tony, Calm down. Mum’s.....” Hugo was interrupted.

“NO! I HAVE TO FIND HER BEFORE DAD GOES AFTER US AGAIN. WHERE IS SHE?” Tony was now in hysterics. Hugo grabbed hold of his uncle.

“Calm down, It’s OK” Hugo replied.

“LET GO OF ME! I HAVE TO FIND HER BEFORE DAD DOES.” Tony continued to struggle to free himself from Hugo until exhaustion overwhelmed him. Collapsing on the ground, Hugo pulled his uncle into a tight hug.

“Shh......calm down. You have nothing to worry about. Mum’s safe and your Dad will not harm her, or you. It was just a bad dream. It’s all over now.”

Hugo heard the lock on the door turning. Rachel entered, after finishing her final shift at the hospital.

“It’s OK now. Rachel’s here.” Hugo told his uncle. Rachel gasped when she saw Tony on the floor.

“What happened?” Rachel asked. Tony looked up and saw through his tears his pregnant fiancé standing before him. He stood up and hugged her, sobbing heavily on her shoulder.

“Rach, thank God you’re here!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Romance for two couples)

Jack sets up a romantic evening with Martha.

Ray begins to take an interest in Leah.

Archived