My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashbacks present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE.

CHAPTER 72: DAWSON'S GANG

“You’re...............you’re not dead” Gina whispered, still shocked at seeing her ex-husband standing right before him.

“No, I’m not” Jeremy smiled.

“But......................but.....but how?” Xavier asked. “What’s going on?” Constable Nate Williams placed his hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Come on, let’s all go inside. We’ll explain everything.”

Gina, Hugo, Brendan and Xavier, along with Jeremy and Nate entered the house. Walking into the Lounge, they sat down on the couch, Jeremy and Nate facing the family.

“Please..............explain” Gina asked, still shaken. Nate turned to Jeremy.

“Perhaps you should start” Nate whispered. Jeremy nodded and began to speak.

“I suppose you got the letter from my lawyer”

“Yes, I........I did” Gina nodded. “You wrote that the Divorce was the only way to protect us.”

“That’s true” Jeremy replied. “Believe me, Gina, I didn’t want to do this, but he found out about my booming business at the Caravan Park, and he blackmailed me, saying that he will harm me if I didn’t join his gang.”

“But why did he select you?” Xavier asked.

“I guess it was because of my reputation” Jeremy replied. “You may have been too young to know this, but when we moved to Broken Hill to help your Uncle Tony after Kate’s death, I bought the nearby Caravan Park, which was failing badly. I restored it, and it became popular again. Anyway, there were a few incidents around that time too. I once saved a young girl from drowning at the neighbour’s pool, and another incident was I wrestled with a robber, who had a gun in his hand, who was trying to rob the General Store. Word spread around about those incidents and people in the community came up to me, praising me for my efforts. The Mayor at that time, Mr John Mueller gave me an award. I felt good about myself. I was happy. That’s what Dawson threatened to destroy. He blackmailed whoever he wanted to get his work done. He targeted me because I became a well known figure in the town and he knew that he could use my reputation against me. He said that he will ruin everything I achieved and that he will turn the community to hate me.”

“So what did you do?” Hugo asked.

“I did what every loving father does” Jeremy responded. “I laughed in his face. I told him I didn’t care if he ruins my reputation, because my family comes first. I told him there was no way that I would join him in his string of robberies.”

“But you still did” Xavier asked, angrily.

“Trust me, son. I didn’t want to” Jeremy replied. “But one day, Dawson came up to me with pictures of all of you...”

“Take a look at this” Dawson said, handing over an envelope. Jeremy opened it and saw a number of photographs of his whole family.”

“HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS?” Jeremy demanded.

“I have contacts, I have spies. They take pictures” Dawson smiled.

“I SWEAR, IF YOU HURT THEM, I’LL........”

“Then you’ll do the right thing and do that job for me” Dawson replied. “I need the money, and I’m getting you to do it. Remember, it’s you reputation on the line” Dawson took out his gun and showed it to Jeremy.

“But not just your reputation that will suffer if you refuse, it’s also your family.”

“Dawson said that the only way that he believes that I won’t fault on him is if I Divorce you and he sees a copy of the official divorce papers to prove it. He believed that all of you were the reason I rejected joining him in the first place.”

“So, in other words, you really had to leave us, to protect us from Dawson” Hugo said.

“That’s right, son” Jeremy nodded.

“You know what hurts the most?” Gina asked. “You said that you couldn’t stand Brendan anymore, that you hated him for being disabled. I mean, look at him?” Jeremy looked over and saw Brendan, who was sitting at the end of the couch, playing with his fingers.

“How can you hate Brendan, your own flesh and blood?” Gina asked. “He’s your son.”

“I’m.............I’m sorry” Jeremy replied, bowing his head in shame. “I know it was hurtful, but I had to tell you that I couldn’t stand him as the reason for leaving you. I had to make my reason somewhat believable. I couldn’t say anything about the gang.”

“Why not?” Gina asked.

“Because Dawson said that if I told anyone about him, whether it was you, or even the Police, he would kill me.” Jeremy turned his attention once again to Brendan. Seeing his face, he started to cry.

“I’m sorry, Brendan” Jeremy sobbed. Brendan jumped off the couch and approached his Dad with a hug.

“Brendan loves Dad!”

As Brendan took a seat next to his father, Jeremy took some time to calm himself down, then continued with the story.

“So what happened next?” Hugo asked.

“Dawson gave me his first task” Jeremy replied. “It was at the nearby Bank. Myself and a couple of others stormed in with masks over our face and knives on our hands. Together, we stole a few thousand dollars.”

“Then?” Xavier asked.

“After Dawson was impressed with the result, he got me to go to Brisbane after finding out a number of successful, high-earning businesses over there. He reminded me about what will happen if I bailed on him. He told me that he has contacts over there and they would know if I tried to escape from his work. So, I went to Brisbane and did his work, and then I would transfer the stolen money to his account.”

“OK.......but the police told us that you helped them catch Dawson” Xavier said. “How did that happen?”

“Well, twelve years later” Jeremy continued. “Dawson was still operating and I was still under his control. He was a smart man; he would keep all his actions discrete and no one, not even the Police knew throughout those years. But one day, my robbery of the Jewellery Shop in Brisbane went terribly wrong when I accidentally pulled the trigger of the gun I was holding, killing the shop assistant. I was arrested by the police, and I was given five years in prison. When Senior Constable Nate Williams over here was given an anonymous tip-off about Craig Dawson and my involvement with him, he got me out of prison after I served three years, on the condition that I will provide information that will help catch Dawson. Then, over the next year, Dawson discovered that members of his gang were slowly disappearing. In fact, they were being arrested one by one by the Police all over the country. Then, Dawson must have found out that I was responsible for exposing his work to the cops, and as I made my way back to Broken Hill, I was stopped along the highway by a man. He told me to return to Brisbane, because he found out that Dawson was planning to kill me.

“Who was this man?” Xavier wondered.

“He must have been a local here, or else how would he have known about Dawson’s plan?” Jeremy replied. “Anyway, I took the man’s advice and returned to Brisbane. Then the next day I discovered that your grandmother Brenda died from injuries in an attempted murder plot. I rang up an old friend that I had from the time we were still living in Alice Springs and he found out about the funeral plans that you and Tony were organizing and he gave me the details.

“So that’s when we saw you at the cemetery” Gina said.

“Yes” Jeremy nodded. “I had driven all the way from Brisbane to Alice Springs to be at the funeral.”

“Hang on, you still haven’t explained how Dawson was caught.” Hugo said.

“I better answer that” Nate replied. “It’s true, your father did travel from Brisbane to Alice Springs to attend the funeral. I spoke to my team, and we decided to use Jeremy’s visit to Alice Springs to our advantage. So we, along with our colleagues came up with a plan to catch Dawson. It was a plan that not even Jeremy knew about...

Jeremy was in his car, driving out of Alice Springs, upset after being rejected from his ex-wife and sons after the confrontation outside Brenda’s house.

As he was driving along the highway, he noticed a couple of cars chasing him from behind, noticing that they were Police cars.”

“Oh great, just what I need, a speeding ticket” Jeremy said to himself. Turning on the left indicator, he pulled over on the side of the road. The Police cars approached and stopped suddenly next to him: One in the front and one at the back. About four police officers quickly hopped out, along with a doctor who had travelled with them. One of the officers rushed over to Jeremy and pulled him out of his car.

“GET OUT OF THE CAR, QUICKLY” the Policeman yelled. The others ran towards him and helped pull Jeremy out with great force.

HEY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING, WHAT DID I DO WRONG?” Jeremy screamed.

“NOW!” the Policeman yelled. The doctor came from behind and stabbed a syringe on his arm. Jeremy passed out in a matter of seconds.

“OK, he’s unconscious” The doctor announced.

“GOOD. GET HIM INSIDE.” The other officers dragged Jeremy into the Police car, placing him into the back seat. The Policeman then took out a large metal pole from the back seat of his Police car. Raising it up, he smashed the front of Jeremy’s car, the glass from the windows scattered all around the road. Placing the pole back in his car, he got in the driver’s seat and drove off. The others, including an unconscious Jeremy followed behind him.

“I didn’t know that the officers would do this” Jeremy replied. “But they said its part of the plan.”

“It was” Nate replied. “Those officers who took Jeremy and trashed his car were the ones from Alice Springs. They then transferred Jeremy to us and we took him to this house, where we kept him under close guard, for protection. We then told the local radio station and the local TV network to announce that Jeremy Austin was killed in a head-on collision along the highway. We were hoping that his “death” would seek Dawson out from his hiding place. And it worked.”

“How?” Hugo asked.

“Senior Constable Jacob Donovan of Alice Springs told me that Dawson drove up to the crash site and saw Jeremy’s wrecked car that we left there intentionally. What he didn’t know is that we had Police hidden around the area. As Dawson approached the car, one of the officers who was hiding in the back seat jumped up and pointed a gun at him. Then all of the others circled him and got him at gunpoint.”

“Wow......that’s......that’s just unbelievable” Xavier said.

“There’s just one thing I don’t understand” Gina spoke.

“What is that?” Nate said.

“If Jeremy’s “death” was a plot to expose Dawson, why did the Police in Alice Springs have to tell me that he died?”

“Actually, to tell you the truth Gina, I used my fake death as an advantage as well” Jeremy replied. “After the cops told me I was being put in Witness Protection and I was announced as “dead” I told the officers to tell you, as well as my lawyer I was “dead.” I remembered about the letter that I wrote that I gave to my lawyer, explaining everything. So, now that you and the Lawyer believed I was dead, the Lawyer would send the letter to you.”

“And it was because you wanted me to know about this?”

“You wouldn’t give me a chance to explain” Jeremy replied. “I was true about what I said to you in the letter. I always loved you and the boys, and I always will. I never wanted any of this to happen. I only did this to protect you all, so that Dawson and his gang would not try to hurt you. I sacrificed my happiness so that you would all be alive. But it’s over now, the gang is gone. Please, Gina. Please take me back. I love you.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Meet The Family)

After hearing the full story from Jeremy, will Gina and the Boys take him back into their lives?

Lucas invites Nicole for Lunch at the Diner with the family, but what does she say that makes Tony upset?

Warren loses his patience with Colleen’s Jukebox.

Martha is rushed to Hospital. Will the baby be OK?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally finished typing this chapter :) I originally was supposed to end this fic a few chapters back, but I just came up with more ideas to add, so I couldn't resist :P . Anyway now this is chapter 73. Anyone think I can make it up to 100?

CHAPTER WARNING: Abuse mentioned in this chapter. (May be a sensitive topic for some readers, so just warning you in advance.)

CHAPTER 73: MEET THE FAMILY

4:30AM

“Gina, what’s wrong?” Jeremy asked, seeing his ex-wife close to tears.

“I’m sorry” Gina apologised. “It’s just......I’m overwhelmed at everything that’s happened.”

“I’m sorry Ms. Austin” Constable Nate Williams replied. “I know that the journey here was not great for you all, but...”

“No, it’s not that” Gina replied. “It’s just seeing you alive after I thought you died, then receiving the letter explaining that you loved me the whole time. It’s just shocking........I mean, after reading the letter, I remembered about our happy times together, both in Alice Springs and when we moved here in Broken Hill, and how we would go out on vacations with the boys, and...........”

“What are you saying?” Jeremy asked. Gina burst into tears.

“I...............I................I..........I want you back, Jeremy” Gina admitted. “I want us to pick up where we left off.” Jeremy, stunned at what he heard, got up and pulled his ex-wife into a tight hug.

“I’m glad to hear that Gina. Thank you” Jeremy smiled.

“Dad” Jeremy turned to see Xavier next to him. Tears were streaming rapidly upon the teenager’s face.

“Oh, Xavier” Jeremy sighed.

“I’m sorry Dad. I’m so, so sorry.”

“Come here” Jeremy hugged his distraught son. “It’s over now. I’m back. We’re gonna be a family again – the way it was meant to happen.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt” Nate spoke out. “I know all of this has been a shock. Is there anyone you would like me to call?” Gina thought for a second.

“I suppose I better let my brother Tony know. He’s been worried about me.”

+++++

5:00AM

“Tony, you’re up so early” Rachel mentioned at the sight of her fiancé sitting at the Dining table with a cup of tea.

“Hey, Rach” Tony replied with a yawn.

“Something wrong?” Rachel asked. Tony sighed.

“Gina just rang up. There’s been some major things going on over there.”

“Major?” Rachel asked, sitting on the chair facing him. “What...............what’s happened?”

“It turns out that Jeremy Austin’s alive after all” Tony replied. “The police in Alice Springs and Broken Hill worked on a case together, bringing down a large group of thieves. It turned out that Jeremy was a main target by the ringleader, so the Police faked his death and placed him in Witness Protection.”

“Whoa, that’s massive” Rachel commented. “How’s Gina and the boys?”

“Understandably shocked, but they’re getting there. The Police told her that they will book her and the boys on a private flight back here sometime during this week and that they’ve asked the Hotel in Alice Springs to pack their things, to be returned to them.”

“I see” Rachel understood. “But what happens to Jeremy...............they’ve caught the guy who was after him, right? Has Gina forgiven Jeremy and taken him back to her life and her family?”

“Apparently she has” Tony replied. “But both agreed that they need just a bit more time apart to settle down after everything that’s happened. Gina said that Jeremy will remain in Broken Hill for a while to assist with the Police and, when he’s ready, he’ll return here to be back with her and the boys.”

“What do you think about all this?” Rachel asked. “Just personally.”

“Personally, I don’t know” Tony replied. “The boys and I relocated about a year or two before the pair divorced. I remember Gina telling me how much she hated Jeremy for what he had done, especially after he used Brendan’s disability as an excuse. But then......”

“What?” Rachel asked.

“After what I heard from Gina after all these years, I hated Jeremy for what he did to my sister. I thought it was cruel, but now after hearing the reasons why he had to do it, I can’t help but wonder that he may just be a man with a heart after all.”

“But he only did it to protect his family, right?” Rachel reminded him.

“I know, Rach, despite that he did that in the worst possible way. I didn't have time to confront him at Mum's funeral, but really, I think Jeremy will need to prove a lot more to regain everyone’s trust.”

+++++

As the sun rose over Summer Bay, Irene and Warren opened up the Diner and began to set up.

7:00AM

“Ah, what a lovely Tuesday morning it is today” Warren smiled, as he was setting up the counter.

“Tuesday?” Irene asked. “I hate to break it to you love, but today’s Wednesday.”

“Why do I keep thinking today’s Tuesday?” Warren said. “Hang on........Wednesday?”

“Yes” Irene sighed. “You know what that means?” Warren nodded.

“Yes, it means it's Colleen’s turn to select songs for the Jukebox. Damn it!”

+++++

Tony and Rachel headed over to the Bachelor Pad for breakfast with Jack and Andrew.

8:00AM

“So Uncle Andrew, how was your first night here in Summer Bay?” Tony asked.

“Not bad” Andrew replied. “I slept like a baby, despite I’m almost seventy.” Rachel chuckled at his comment. “I must say though, I loved the meal at the Diner last night. That Greek lady......what’s her name..........”

“Leah?” Rachel said.

“Leah, that’s it!” Andrew remembered. “She a great cook, and so was that other guy.”

“Oh, Warren” Jack replied. “He’s excellent. Irene said that he’s only new there. He’s the brother of a great friend of mine. Apparently he’s been a cook for many years down near the city.”

“Either way, it was lovely.”

“Speaking of which” Tony added. “Rach and I are going there again for lunch. Why don’t you come with us?”

“Sure, that would be lovely” Andrew smiled.

“What about you, Jack?”

“Charlie said that I don’t have to come in until tomorrow, so yeah, I’ll come.” Jack replied. “I’m not sure about Martha though.”

“Still with the morning sickness?” Tony asked.

“Unfortunately yes” Jack sighed. “But she keeps on insisting that she doesn’t want to see someone. Rach, did Martha say anything to you?” Rachel was staring into space.

“Rach?” Jack called out. Rachel swiftly turned to face him.

“Yeah, what?”

“Did Martha say anything to you?” Jack asked again. Rachel took a moment to think of an answer for him, but remembered what Martha had told her...

“Listen Martha, you need to tell Jack. You can’t hide this forever. He’s the father, he needs to know.” Martha suddenly stood up, heading towards the door.

“Wait, where are you going?” Rachel asked.

“I’m sorry, Rach........I have to think things through. I can’t tell Jack now.”

“er.......no, she didn’t say much” Rachel responded. Rachel knew that Martha can’t keep the pregnancy a secret forever, despite that she promised her friend not to tell anyone, neither Jack, nor Alf. It was now a question of how long it will be until the truth is exposed.

Lucas came out of his room to join the others at the table.

“Hey mate” Tony smiled. “You up early, and school doesn’t start until another week or so. Strange, isn’t it?”

“Come on, Dad” Lucas chuckled. “I don’t always sleep late.”

“That’s not what Jack told me.”

“That’s Jack, he’s always like............” Lucas was interrupted when his father grabbed his arm.

“What’s this?” Tony asked, looking at the ink drawn numbers written on his son’s arm.

Nicole grabbed his arm. Taking out a pen from her pocket, Nicole scribbled some numbers.

“That’s my mobile. Call me” Nicole smiled.

“Oh” Lucas exclaimed. He had forgotten about the numbers that were written there. “I met this girl, Nicole, and.....”

“Does Luc actually have a girlfriend?” Jack teased.

“Yes.......I mean, no.......I mean, I don’t know” Lucas replied, struggling to find a proper answer. “I.....I mean, I like her. She’s cute, she’s friendly. I just don’t know if she likes me.”

“Lucas and Nicole, sitting in a tree” Jack sung.

“Shut up, Jack” Lucas yelled.

“Yeah, shut up Jack” Tony replied.

“What?”

“Be happy for your brother. He’s finally found love. Besides, If this Nicole girl didn’t like Luc, she wouldn’t have given him her number, right?”

“er.............right” Lucas replied.

“In fact, why don’t you call her and invite her with us for lunch. I look forward to meeting her.”

“Really?” Lucas smiled. “Thanks, Dad.”

Grabbing his mobile, Lucas headed back towards his room to make the call.

“Oh, by the way” Lucas called out. “Nicole is Roman’s daughter.”

“Nicole is what now?" Tony asked, confused.

+++++

A few hours later, Lucas introduced Nicole to his family. All of them gathered at a table in the Diner for lunch. Meanwhile, Warren was at the counter with Irene. The Jukebox was playing a CD with a collection of forties and fifties music, which was especially selected by Colleen, who was listening in from the back of the room.

12:30PM

“Seriously, I will pay someone $100.00 to destroy that thing” Warren whispered to Irene.

“I just still can’t believe that it actually brought more customers in here.” Irene replied. “But we made a deal with Colleen. We told her she can keep that flippin’ Jukebox in here and she can play her boring forties and fifties on Wednesdays, if she makes more of an effort in her shifts here.”

“Why did today have to be Wednesday?” Warren asked himself. “Anyway, look at her. She’s just sitting down there, doing nothing. Not much of an effort there, eh?”

“Well, that’s going to change right now” Irene said, looking at her watch. “Break’s over, Colleen. We need you back in the Kitchen.”

“OK fine” Colleen stood up from her seat. “Damn, I wanted to hear more!”

Jack, Martha, Lucas, Andrew, Rachel and Tony were listening to Nicole, who was having a conversation with them.

“Wow, she’s talkative.” Jack whispered to his father.

“So, where were you living then?” Rachel asked.

“I was staying with my Mum down in the city” Nicole replied. “I came here, hoping to be more independent, and also, Dad asked me to take care of his house, so that he doesn’t have to sell it when he left for the SAS.”

“So what do you think of Summer Bay?” Lucas asked.

“I love it” Nicole smiled. “It’s so much better than the city. I hated the busy streets and the crowds on almost every street corner. But it’s not just that”

“Oh” Tony said. “What else?”

“We had this one neighbour living in the apartment next to us who kept on complaining about being abused by his Dad” Nicole replied. “I mean, he would just keep whinging and whinging all day, all night and would just never shut up. I mean, it’s ridiculous. I hate those people who say they were abused, because all they do is whinge about it to the world.” Tony suddenly wiped the smile off his face.

“Nicole” Lucas nudged her, trying desperately to get her to change the subject, but failed.

“I mean” Nicole continued. “That’s probably why his Dad went up and abused him because he couldn’t cope with all his tantrums and that. Gosh, I’m glad I’m not living next to them anymore. All those so-called “abused” people do nothing better than complain. What an idiot!”

At that moment, Tony stood up. Slamming his chair towards the table, he marched angrily out of the Diner. Everyone, including Irene, Colleen and Warren looked up, stunned.

“OK Nicole, that’s enough” Lucas whispered.

“I’m sorry. Was...........................was it something I said?”

A few minutes later...

“Dad” Lucas called out. He spotted his father sitting alone at the beach. Tony ignored him. Scooping up the sand with his left hand, he watched it trickle between his fingers back to the ground. Catching up to him, Lucas sat down on the sand.

“I’m sorry, Dad.” Tony stopped playing with the sand and turned to face his youngest son.

“It’s fine, mate. Don’t worry about it.”

“No, Dad” Lucas interrupted. “Nicole was way out of line. She should never have said those things.”

“Like I said, Luc, don’t worry about it. Nicole wouldn’t have known about what I went through with your grandfather.”

“Dad, it’s not fair” Lucas replied. “Child abuse is a serious thing. No one deserves it. Dad, you never deserved it.”

“Well you can’t change the past, can you?” Tony sighed.

“I know” Lucas silently replied. “You OK, Dad?”

“I’m fine, mate” Tony replied. He outstretched his arms and gave his son a big hug.

“Tony, Luc” A voice called out. Tony and Lucas turned around to see Andrew running towards them.

“Andrew, what’s going on?” Tony asked.

“Come quickly. Martha’s collapsed at the Diner.”

“What? How? What happened?”

“I don’t know. Anyway, Rach called an ambulance and they’re on their way. Come on.” Tony and Lucas got up and along with Andrew, quickly headed back to the Diner.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Truths)

Martha struggles to keep her pregnancy a secret from Jack. Will Rachel spill the beans?

Gina, and the Boys arrive back in Summer Bay.

Lucas visits Martin in the aftermath of his Brain Tumour Operation.

Unaware of Gina and Jeremy’s reunion, Dr. Winston asks Gina out on a date.

Next Chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 74: TRUTHS

12:45PM

“Martha Mackenzie Holden, 25, suddenly collapsed at the Diner” The paramedic called out.

“Come this way” Julie called out. The Paramedics wheeled Martha into an empty room.

Jack raced into the corridor, followed by Lucas, Nicole, Rachel, Tony and Andrew.

“Where is my wife?” Jack called out. “What’s going on?” Rachel grabbed onto Jack.

“Slow down, Jack. I’m sure they’re just setting her up in a room. They’ll take good care of her.”

“Here, why don’t you take a seat?” Tony suggested.

“I DON’T WANT A SEAT, DAD. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT’S WRONG WITH MY WIFE!” Jack yelled.

“Perhaps I’ll go and find out what’s going on” Rachel said. “Just stay here Jack. I’ll let you know what’s happening.”

“Please do” Jack replied. Rachel went off along the corridor.

Jack sat down along with the others.

“I knew it!” Jack said, frustrated.

“Knew what, mate?” Tony asked.

“The morning sickness” Jack replied. “Martha’s had it for a few days, but she insisted she didn’t want to see a doctor. I should have made her come here.”

“Mate, don’t blame yourself” Tony said. “And don’t worry, Julie will take good care of her.”

Tony watched as Jack began to cry.

"Oh my God!" Jack sobbed.

"Jack?"

“Dad..........I’m scared that.......that the Cancer’s come back.”

“Come on Jack, don’t think like that”

“I can’t help but think that” Jack cried. “Martha has fought this battle for years and won. If the cancer’s the cause for Martha to collapse, I’m..........I’m not gonna be able to cope. Dad........I don’t want Martha to die.”

“Martha’s not gonna die. She’s strong. She won that battle with Cancer. If the Cancer’s back, she’ll fight it again, and she will win.” Tony tried desperately to keep things positive for his son.

“You always know what to say, Dad”

“I know” Tony replied, letting out a little smile from his mouth. “Come here.” Tony pulled his son into a hug.

“I’m just gonna grab myself a Coffee” Andrew said. “Anyone want one?”

“Sure, I’ll have one, thanks” Tony replied.

“Andrew, let me get it” Lucas offered.

“Oh, Thanks Luc”

“I’ll help” Nicole said.

“Actually, it’s fine Nic. Just stay here with the others. I’ll be fine” Lucas replied. He wanted to get some time alone, away from Nicole. He was still angry at her for what she said back at the Diner.

As Lucas walked through the corridor, he looked into an open door and saw Martin inside one of the rooms.

“Sir?” Lucas called out as he entered the room.

“Lucas Holden” Martin cheered. “You’re a sight for sore eyes. How’s my top student doing?”

“er.........I’m fine, thanks. What happened to you?” Lucas noticed the bandages around Martin’s head.

“I just had a Brain Tumour removed”

“Whoa...............are you OK now, Sir?”

“I’m getting better, I just need to rest” Martin replied. “Pretty nasty though when they showed it to me after the operation.”

“I bet” Lucas chuckled.

“How’s your father?” Martin asked.

“We’re getting there” Lucas replied. “Dad’s feeling a lot better now than before.”

“Give him my regards.”

“I will.”

+++++

Nicole was sitting alone at the corridor. She looked over to her right hand side and saw Tony sitting at the other end. Standing up, Nicole headed over.

“Hi, Mr. Holden” Nicole quietly said. Tony gave her a nod.

“Hi.”

“May I?” Nicole asked, pointing at the seat next to Tony. Tony took out the magazine that was on the chair.

“Sure, have a seat.”

Nicole sat down, and began to speak again.

“Listen, Mr. Holden.”

“You can call me Tony” Tony corrected her.

“OK then” Nicole replied. “Tony. I just wanted to say sorry for what I said earlier at the Diner. After you stormed out, Jack and Lucas told me briefly that you had an unfortunate childhood with your father. I realize that what I said was inappropriate, yet sensitive, and I shouldn’t have said it, so once again, I’m sorry.”

“Thank you, Nicole. I forgive you.” Tony smiled. “I don’t put all the blame on you though. You didn’t know about me.”

“So, I was wondering........between me and your family.............can we start fresh again, and pretend none of this ever happened?” Tony took a moment to think.

“Sure” Tony chuckled, extending his hand out. “Hi, I’m Tony Holden. I have two sons – Jack and Lucas.” Nicole giggled as she reached out her hand to shake Tony’s.

“I’m Nicole Franklin. Pleased to meet you.”

“You know, my son Lucas fancies you. You should meet him some day.” Nicole and Tony suddenly burst out laughing.

+++++

A few hours later...

4:30PM

“Gina!” Tony exclaimed, giving his older sister a hug. “You’re back so early.”

“I know” Gina replied. “I said to you this morning that I would be back later this week, but Brendan insisted that he wants to come home early and, you know, it’s only a three or four hour flight.”

“So where are the boys?”

“They’re at home unpacking” Gina replied. “I came here because I stopped by at the Surf Club to say hello to Alf, but they told me he’s here because Martha collapsed. Is she gonna be OK?”

“She’s fine” Tony replied. “Julie and Dr. Winston gave her the all clear, but just as a precaution, Martha’s staying here for a few more hours to rest. Alf and Jack are with her at the moment.”

“That’s good to hear” Gina smiled.

“So, how are you?” Tony asked. “I mean, you’ve had a full-on couple of days, especially after what’s happened with Jeremy.” Gina stood up from her seat.

“There’s so much to tell, but can we talk about it later?”

“Sure” Tony replied. “I’m sorry, you must be worn out after everything.”

“That’s why I’m about to grab myself a Coffee” Gina chuckled. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

Heading towards the Vending Machine, Gina bumped into Dr. Winston.

“Hello Jim”

“Gina!” Jim exclaimed. “How are you?”

“Well, I’ve had an exhausted past few days, but I’m glad to be back. How about you?”

“I’m flat out” Jim replied. “We had a big flow of patients when there was a bus crash at Yabbie Creek, plus we had to remove a Brain Tumour from a patient. He’ll live.”

“Well, you kept yourself busy” Gina chuckled.

After a few moments of silence, Jim began to speak.

“Actually, Gina. I’m glad to have bumped into you. There’s something I want to ask you.”

“Oh” Gina replied. “What is that?”

“I was wondering...............I was wondering if we can go out for a meal or something at the Diner sometime. You interested?”

“er..........are you asking me out on a date?” Gina asked. Jim was starting to get nervous.

“er............no, I’m not...........except.............except”

“Except?”

“OK I am” Jim confessed. “Gina, since we saw each other at the Blind Date Dance, the truth is, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. You were, in my opinion, the best female I met during the dances.”

“Oh, stop it Jim” Gina laughed.

“So, what do you say?” Jim continued. “Can we go out sometime?”

Gina was silent, unsure what to say to the nervous Doctor.

“Er......Jim, I” Jim interrupted her.

“Let me guess, you’re in a relationship with someone else.”

“Actually.............yeah” Gina softly replied. “Sorry Jim. I’m back with my ex-husband, Jeremy.” Jim sat down on a chair nearby.

“You’re not mad, are you?” Gina asked.

“No, no, I’m fine” Jim replied. “I just feel stupid. I’m sorry, I’m embarrassed. Can we pretend this whole thing never happened?” Gina sat down on the chair next to Jim.

“Jim, don’t feel embarrassed. I will admit, the Blind Date Dance was fun. We enjoyed ourselves, we had a great night. But things have changed since I was in Alice Springs, and now I’m giving my ex-husband a second chance. But listen, Jim. I’m sure you’ll find someone who will love you and give you what you want in a relationship. I guarantee to you that the perfect woman is out there, waiting for you.” Jim slowly turned around to face Gina.

“Do you mean that?”

“I do” Gina smiled. “Just take some time, look in the right direction and before you know it, she will be there, waiting for you.”

+++++

Alf, Jack and Rachel were in Martha’s hospital room.

“We’ll just be outside.” Alf smiled, kissing his granddaughter on the forehead.

“Thanks, Grandad” Martha smiled.

“Just let us know if you need anything, babe” Jack said.

“Don’t worry, I will.” Giving his wife a kiss, Jack, followed by Alf headed out of the room into the corridor.

Seeing the door close, Rachel began to speak.

“So, how’re you feeling now?”

“Much better” Martha replied. “Just a bit of rest should do the trick.” Rachel sighed.

“Martha, come on. You know it’s not just resting.”

“Rachel, I can’t tell Jack” Martha said. “What’s he gonna think when he finds out I’m pregnant? He’s been stressed out with everything that’s happened in the space of a month and the last thing he needs to know is this.” Rachel was now desperately trying to persuade Martha to see some sense.

“Martha, just count yourself lucky that the Baby’s OK. How do you think Jack’s gonna feel if he found out about the pregnancy, but discovered that something’s wrong with his child?”

Meanwhile...

“Damn it” Jack exclaimed.

“What’s wrong?” Alf asked.

“I think I left my wallet back in Martha’s room. I’ll just go and get it.”

“What’s so scary about telling Jack?” Rachel asked. “Are you worried that Jack will be too stressed that he won’t have time for his child?”

“It’s not that, it’s just.....”

“Come on, Martha. Don’t think like that. Jack will be a great father I’m sure, but if you don’t tell him soon enough, he’s gonna be asking questions, and if he doesn’t find out until later, he’ll be upset, wondering why he didn’t know earlier. Martha, please listen to me. You need to tell Jack.”

“What am I meant to say, exactly” Martha asked, annoyed. “Hey Jack, I know you’ve been stressed with catching your Grandfather and solving the robbery at the Surf Club and, oh, by the way, to add more to your stress, I’m pregnant.”

“WHAT?” a voice called out. Martha and Rachel quickly turned around to see Jack standing at the doorway. He heard the entire discussion.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Returning Home)

How will Jack react after having discovered Martha’s pregnancy?

Martin gives Lucas and Ruby a job.

Warren and Colleen argue over the Jukebox.

Who is waiting outside Irene’s doorstep?

This chapter should get you all excited, obviously - you'll all know why once you've read it! :rolleyes:

CHAPTER 75: RETURNING HOME

“You’re...........you’re pregnant” Jack said, shocked. Martha was struggling to find words to say to her husband.

“Jack, please let me explain” Martha pleaded.

“I’ll give you two some space” Rachel said. Heading towards the door, Rachel stepped out into the corridor.

Jack took a seat on the chair next to the bed.

“Jack?” Martha called out. Jack was still in a daze.

“Jack, you're scaring me. Please say something.”

“Sorry babe, I’m just trying to process everything” Jack whispered. “so........you’re pregnant”

“Yes.......yes I am.”

“Wow............I mean......” Jack placed his hands over his face.

“Jack” Martha was now close to tears. “I’m sorry for not telling you. I.......I......I was scared about how you’ll react. Please don’t be mad at me, I mean......” Jack interrupted her.

“Mad?” Jack asked. “How can I be mad? I’m going to be a Dad.” Martha watched as a huge smile appeared on Jack’s face.

“I’m going to be a Dad!” Jack smiled. “Wow.......I mean..........just.......there are no words to describe it.”

“Thank you for not being mad at me” Martha said, jumping up from her bed and giving her husband a big hug.

“I’m gonna be a Dad!” Jack quickly went out of the room and ran along the corridor.

“I’M GOING TO BE A DAD!” Jack yelled.

+++++

5:30PM

“Hello Sir” Lucas and Ruby greeted Martin in his hospital room.

“Hey guys, thanks for coming” Martin replied.

“We got the phone call. What can we do for you?”

“First of all, I’d like to introduce you to Ms. Karen Brighton” Martin announced. The Lady, who was sitting on the chair next to Martin stood up and shook hands with the teens.

“Pleased to meet you” Karen smiled.

“Ms. Brighton will be replacing me temporarily as the principal for one school term.” Martin said. “I’ve asked you two to come because I’m hoping that you both can give Ms. Brighton a tour around the school sometime tomorrow, during the day.”

“er.........we don’t mean any disrespect, sir” Ruby replied. “May I ask why you selected Luc and I?”

“You two are my top students out of the whole school” Martin chuckled. “I’m hoping that Ms. Brighton will have a good first impression of our school, so that’s why I’ve asked you two to take her around, if you can.”

“Mr. Bartlett has told me all about you two” Karen spoke out.

“Really?” Lucas smiled.

“Yes. He’s told me about the many contributions that you’ve done for the school. Same with you, Ruby. So, I personally asked Martin that I wanted to meet you two and hopefully you can show me what a great school Summer Bay High really is.”

“Alright then” Ruby smiled. “We’d love to show you around.”

“Thank you. You two have been a great help” Martin replied.

“Martin’s given me the key to the building, so I was hoping that you two can meet me outside the Surf Club around 9:00AM and we’ll make our way to the school together. Is that OK?”

“Sounds good to me” Ruby replied.

“OK then, I’ll see you both there.” Karen smiled.

As Lucas and Ruby headed towards the door, Martin spoke out after remembering something else that he wanted to say.

“By the way, Lucas, Give your brother my congratulations.”

“Congratulations?” Lucas asked, confused. “Why should I do that?”

“Why?” Martin said. “Haven’t you heard?”

“Heard what?” Lucas asked. “I went home after I saw you before. I just got back here.”

“Your Brother is gonna be a Daddy” Martin smiled. “He practically ran all over the hospital screaming the good news.”

“Oh My God!” Lucas smiled.

“Go and see him” Martin ordered.

“Yes. Yes I will.” Lucas, followed by Ruby ran out of the room to find Jack.

+++++

At the corridor...

“I’m going to be a Grandad!” Tony exclaimed with happiness.

“And you’re also gonna be a Dad for the third time, remember?” Andrew reminded him.

“Wow.......this is like the best news I’ve heard in a long time.” Tony smiled. “Hang on, I’ll be back in a minute.” Tony quickly made his way along the corridor.

“Wait, where are you going?” Andrew asked.

“Just out. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Outside the hospital, Tony took out his mobile from his pocket and made a number of phone calls to his friends. He then called the Diner.

“Hey Leah, it’s Tony. Listen, can you put together a table for twelve people and reserve it for us? I’ll pay when we get there.........we’ll be there around Seven. Sorry that it’s short notice, but we have some great news...........we’ll tell you all once - hang on, how did you know Martha's pregnant?.........well, how did Colleen know - Oh, wait, Colleen would know about anything anyway..................OK then, I will.......Yeah, Martha will be fine to come to Dinner tonight.......OK then, thanks Leah. Bye.”

As Tony placed his phone back in his pocket, he noticed Colleen rushing towards him.

“Martha’s pregnant! Martha’s pregnant!” Colleen squealed with happiness. "I just heard the good news!"

"And you told the whole world, no doubt" Tony said to himself.

"Martha's pregnant!" Colleen screamed again.

“Now, Now, Colleen. Don’t get yourself a heart attack” Tony laughed. “I've already had one and I'm telling you, it's not good. Come, I’ll take you inside.”

+++++

7:00PM

At the Diner, Leah, Irene, Warren and Colleen were busily preparing meals in the kitchen. Among the locals who came for Dinner were Alf, Andrew, Rachel, Tony, Jack, Martha, Lucas, Nicole, Ruby, Charlie, Richard and Watson.

“When’s Xavier gonna be here?” Ruby asked Luc.

“Dad said that they’re not coming. They’re too tired to come. They’ve had a long day.”

“Oh, of course, they just came back from Alice Springs, right?”

“Actually, they just came back from Broken Hill” Lucas corrected her.

“Broken Hill?” Ruby asked. “What were they doing there?”

“It’s a long story” Lucas sighed. “Perhaps you should ask Xavier when you see him.”

In the Kitchen...

“Colleen, perhaps you should turn off the Jukebox now” Warren suggested. “It’s been on all day.”

“Excuse me, but I believe today’s still Wednesday” Colleen argued. “That means it’s my turn to play MY music on MY Jukebox!”

“But Colleen, Jack and Martha have already had a big day today” Warren replied. “Can’t they just enjoy Dinner tonight without any of that background garbage playing in the..........”

“GARBAGE?” Colleen squealed. “You call my music garbage?”

“Well........I mean.........it’s a bit too old fashioned for the world nowadays” Warren explained. “Come on, Colleen. Give it a break.”

“NO!” Colleen protested. “You all said that Wednesday is my day for my music, and I’m keeping it on!” Warren rolled his eyes.

“Irene, can you please do something?”

“Well” Irene replied. “To be fair, it’s still Wednesday today, so, in other words, Colleen is entitled to her music on the Jukebox.”

“Ha! Told you so!” Colleen laughed.

“Fine, whatever” Warren said in frustration. “Now go and take these Apple Pies to Rachel.” Taking the Dessert, Colleen stuck her tongue out at Warren, before leaving the Kitchen.

“Goodness!” Irene said.

“Yeah, I know” Warren replied. “Colleen’s gonna get on my nerves”

“No, I mean, why would Rachel order Apple Pies, especially since we haven’t even served the main course yet!”

“It’s called Pregnancy” Leah chuckled. “There’s always something that women will crave on during that stage in life.”

“Really?” Irene said. “I didn’t really have a craving for anything when I had Damien.”

“Well, when I was pregnant with VJ, I had a craving for Greek Salad.”

“Of course you would, love” Irene smiled. “You are Greek, after all!”

Back at the Table..

“Can I get everyone to raise their glasses” Alf spoke out. Everyone at the table took their glass and raised it up.

“To Jack and Martha. May they have a long and happy life with the little one on the way.”

“To Jack and Martha!” Everyone cheered in unison.

+++++

9:30PM

“Are you OK with packing everything up by yourself?” Irene asked Warren. Colleen and Leah had already left with the others.

“I’ll manage, Irene. Don’t worry” Warren called out from the Kitchen.

“OK then. Goodnight”

“Goodnight.”

Ten minutes later...

Irene pulled up her car at the driveway at the front of her house. Getting out of her car, she fiddled with her key ring and took out her key to the house.

As she headed to the front door to unlock it, she jumped suddenly when she heard the sound of a smashed flowerpot from the back veranda.

“WHO’S THERE?” Irene called out, slowly and cautiously making her way to the back. Turning the corner, Irene was shocked to see who was sitting on the table.

“Oh My God!” Irene exclaimed. “Aden? Belle? Is that really you?

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Amsterdam)

Irene is overjoyed for Aden and Belle’s return to Summer Bay.

With the due date only a few months away, Rachel and Tony go on a shopping spree.

Richard's life is turned upside down when he receives shock news from DOCS.

NOTE 1: (For non-AUS readers), 'DOCS' stands for Department of Community Services.

NOTE 2: Personally, Aden and Belle are/were NOT my favourites on the actual show, but since I decided to eventually add them to this fic, I will try my best to include them in some interesting storylines - I've already planned a couple of them.

Next Chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 76: AMSTERDAM

“It’s so good to see you both again!” Irene exclaimed, giving Belle a hug, followed by Aden.

“I’m glad to be back” Belle smiled. “Sorry that I smashed your flowerpot, Aden and I were waiting back here to surprise you and I must have bumped into it.” Irene looked over at the damage.

“Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s just one of Colleen’s old plants that she gave me. It’s nearly dead anyway.”

“Well, that’s a relief then” Aden chuckled.

“Anyway, let’s not stay out here. Come on in” Irene opened the back door.

Inside, Irene filled up the kettle and turned it on. Aden and Belle wheeled their luggage into the Living room and made their way to the table.

“So Belle” Irene spoke. “Tell me, how was Amsterdam?”

“It was great” Belle replied. “That six month Photography course was great.”

“We had a great time in Amsterdam” Aden added. “There was so much to see. Netherlands is such a great country to visit.”

“Come on, stop lying Aden!” Belle teased her boyfriend.

“What’s wrong?” Irene asked. “You don’t like the Netherlands?”

“I loved it” Belle replied. “But on the way here, we stayed for a couple of days in Brussels and Aden pretty much ate all the chocolate from every chocolate store we came across. Then, he told me he prefers Belgium!”

“OK, you win” Aden laughed. “But I still loved both countries. But in the end, it’s great to be back home in Summer Bay.”

Irene approached the table with three cups of tea.

“Here you are. Nice and hot”

“Thanks Irene” Belle replied. “So where’s Annie and Geoff?”

“Annie’s having a sleepover with her school friends tonight down near the city, and Geoff’s staying at the caravan park for a while to help out with some projects with Miles.”

“I see” Belle understood.

“Also, Ruby’s staying with us now”

“Ruby?” Belle asked. “Wow, Irene. This house is becoming a hotel. Wasn’t she staying with her sister at Roman’s place?”

“Roman’s left” Irene sighed.

“What?” Aden asked. “Why?”

“He went back to the SAS. It’s a long story” Irene replied. “Charlie’s staying with Leah and Ruby’s staying here.”

“Lots of things have changed since we left” Belle wondered.

“Anyway, Ruby stayed in your room while you were away, but she’s just gone to the city to meet Annie and the girls. She’ll be back early though because she and Luc are showing the new principal around the school. So, you two have got your rooms back for tonight. We can all work out sleeping arrangements when everyone’s here in the morning.”

“Sounds good” Aden replied. “Anyway, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to hit the sack. I’m so tired” Aden gave out a yawn, before taking his luggage and making his way down the hall. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight” Irene and Belle replied.

“So where have you been?” Belle asked.

“I just came back from the Diner” Irene replied. “We had a small dinner party for Jack and Martha. She’s having a baby!” Belle covered her mouth with her hand in shock.

“Really? That’s great news.”

“You and Aden should’ve met us there” Irene said.

“Yeah, we should’ve. I might go and say Hi to them in the morning.”

+++++

The sun rose, marking a new day. At the Holden House, Gina, Rachel and Tony were having breakfast at the Dining table. Rachel was reading the newspaper.

“Hey Tony, look at this” Rachel pointed out. Tony looked over at the newspaper.

“I can’t read it. Hang on.” Tony took out his reading glasses and put them on.

“Why does the writing have to be so small?”

“Who cares about the writing, the fact is, there’s gonna be a big baby equipment sale on today in Yabbie Creek. We have to go there. TODAY!” Tony took off his glasses and stared confused at his fiancé.

“Rach, the other month, you and Martha bought a ‘truckload’ of baby clothes from Yabbie Creek.”

“Yeah, but this is an advertisement for another baby store” Rachel explained. Tony rolled his eyes.

“It’s called women’s lifestyle” Gina laughed. “Shopping is what we do!”

“Well, I should know about that, shouldn’t I?” Tony chuckled. “Kate was like that as well, and please, please, don’t get me started with Beth. She was a real shopping freak!”

“OK we won’t” Gina smiled.

“Please, Tony. Can we go to the store?” Rachel begged. “I’m not working until tonight so we can spend the whole day there. Please..........pretty please................with sugar on top?” Tony sighed.

“You know I love you when you say ‘pretty please with sugar on top’ don’t you?”

“I know” Rachel laughed.

“Alright then” Tony finally gave in to his fiance’s demand. “We’ll go there.”

“Excellent” Rachel squealed, giving Tony a kiss. “Then, we can go to the dessert shop and buy a massive apple pie!” Tony buried his head with his hands.

“What did I get myself into?”

+++++

At the station, Charlie and Richard were finishing off some paperwork at the front desk. Jack, followed by Ruby entered.

10:30AM

“Thanks for the lift, Jack” Ruby thanked the constable.

“No worries” Jack replied.

“Hey Rubes” Charlie smiled. “How did you go with the tour?”

“Oh My God!” Ruby squealed. “Ms Brighton is like the best principal ever!” Richard looked up at the excited teenager.

“Hang on.......she hasn’t even started her job as the principal, has she?”

“Yeah, I know” Ruby replied. “But she is SO cool! We were trying to keep her away from seeing the graffiti lockers, but she still noticed them and she said she didn’t care about it, saying it’s just a natural work of art for teenagers.”

“Be it art, as she may call it. It’s still vandalism” Richard chuckled.

“But you guys haven’t heard the best part” Ruby smiled, struggling to keep her excitement in her.

“What else?” Charlie asked.

“After we left the school, Ms. Brighton shouted Luc and I for a free meal at McDonalds in Yabbie Creek as a thank-you for the tour! I mean........is this like the best day or what?”

“You and your McDonalds!” Richard replied. “Your sister told me all about your love for all those unhealthy fast food chains.”

“Well, I don’t eat it all the time” Ruby corrected the constable. “So it’s still fine. Anyway Ms. Brighton is so awesome! I mean, Mr. Bartlett would never do that. He just keeps giving us more and more homework!”

“Come on” Jack spoke out from his desk. “Don’t be mean about Martin. He’s just come out of an operation.”

“Yeah, I know. But still.”

“So what else are you up to today?” Charlie asked.

“Don’t know” Ruby replied. “I’m hoping to catch up with Xavier.”

“If you want something to do, perhaps go to Irene’s” Charlie suggested. “Aden and Belle are back in the Bay.”

“Oh My God! No way!” Ruby screamed. “Belle’s back?”

“Colleen told me when I stopped by at the Diner this morning.”

“I so have to go and see her. She and Aden promised Annie and I a big box of Belgian Chocolates!”

“Do you want me to take you back?” Jack offered.

“It’s fine, thanks. I’ll make my way over there now.”

“No, no. It’s fine” Jack replied. “I just got a report about a dispute down at the Beach, so I might as well drop you off at Irene's on my way over there.”

“I’ll come with you” Watson called out from the other end of the room.

“OK, thanks. Let’s go Rubes."

+++++

11:00AM

“Rach, let’s go home” Tony complained. He and Rachel were at the store in Yabbie Creek. Rachel was busy looking around while Tony followed behind her, carrying three shopping bags on each hand.

“Come on, Tony. We’ve only been here for an hour. There’s still plenty more to look at.” Rachel replied. “Oh, look” Rachel pointed at the sign. “25% off all Baby toys. This way, Tony.”

“Oh Well, here we go again” Tony whispered to himself, pacing along quickly to catch up to his fiancé.

+++++

12:00PM

At Irene’s house, Aden, Belle and Ruby were seated at the Lounge, looking at a slide show of photographs on a laptop computer that Aden and Belle took while in Amsterdam.

“Are you serious? You took that picture? That’s awesome.” Ruby exclaimed

“That’s exactly what I said to Belle” Aden replied. “Don’t worry, they’ll ring you up and I guarantee they’ll give you a scholarship.”

“I don’t know about that” Belle chuckled.

“Are you kidding me? These photo assignments are great!” Ruby commented. “Aden’s right, you’re definitely someone who deserves that scholarship.”

“But then I’ll have to go back to Amsterdam” Belle joked.

“You can still come back here on holidays” Ruby laughed.

Everyone turned around to see Annie and Jai at the front door.

“Hey Rubes. Jai’s just helping me with some bags and..........Oh my God! BELLE?”

“The one and only” Belle smiled.

“OH MY GOD!” Annie screamed, running over to Belle and giving her a big hug.

“How loud can girls scream? I mean, seriously?” Jai said, covering his ears.

“These girls can together break glass” Aden replied with a laugh.

“Oh my God......you had your hair done?” Belle asked.

“Yeah” Annie squealed. “The girls did it for me at the sleepover. You like it?”

“Oh my God! I love it.......like, yeah!” Belle replied. “Come, there’s so much we have to catch up on” Belle grabbed Annie’s hand and pulled her up the stairs towards the bedroom.

“Hey......wait for me” Ruby yelled, running up the stairs behind them.

Aden and Jai were left by themselves in the Living room.

“Belgian Chocolate?” Aden offered, handing over the box to the teenager.

“Thanks” Jai replied, opening the box. “This is a box for 25 pieces. Why is there only one left?”

“Sorry” Aden apologized. “I love Belgian Chocolates. The other 24 pieces are in here” Aden patted his stomach.

+++++

Back at the station...

2:30PM

“Richard, what are you looking at?” Jack and Charlie asked as they passed by Richard’s computer screen.

“It’s the News website” Richard replied. “It gives you all the latest of what’s happening around Sydney.”

“Oh. Right. I haven’t seen that website before” Jack noted.

“That’s because Martha tells me that you spend your entire time spying on people’s neighbourhoods on ‘Google Maps.’ Am I right?”

“OK, OK. Martha has a point” Jack replied. “But it’s an awesome program. You can see everything around you. You can see the world!”

“Or, in your case, people’s homes” Richard laughed. Turning back to the screen, Richard looked at a picture on the website.

“Whoa, take a look at this” Richard pointed out. “How nasty is that.” Charlie and Jack looked at the screen. It was a picture of a car that was badly smashed in an accident. Richard looked at the caption below.

“It says here that the accident has claimed the life of the driver, but it doesn’t give out any names.”

“But I mean, who would survive that?” Charlie asked. “That is just shocking.”

+++++

At the Holden House...

3:00PM

“Hey guys” Gina called out. Brendan, Hugo and Xavier, who were watching TV on the couch turned around and saw Rachel enter the front door. Tony followed behind her, struggling with the many bags that he carried.

“Here, Uncle Tony. Let me help you with that” Hugo offered.

“Thanks, mate” Tony replied. “But this isn’t all. There’s more in the car.”

“Come, Brendan.” Xavier stood up. “Let’s get the bags from the car.” Xavier and Brendan made their way out of the House.

“So, how was your day, Rach?” Gina asked.

“It was great” Rachel replied. “I had a nice look around. There was plenty of interesting baby stuff. Then we went to the Dessert shop and got my Apple Pie.”

“Sounds great. What about you, Tony?” Gina asked, trying to hide her laughter.

“I lost about $500.00 in the first two hours. It’s a new record for me!”

“Come on, Tony” Rachel teased. “You enjoyed today, didn’t you?”

“Sure, anything you say” Tony smiled, giving Rachel a kiss. “Anyway, I’ll leave you two ladies alone with you girl talk and I’ll go next door to take a well earned break and relax with a cup of tea with Uncle Andrew. Bye.” Tony quickly made his way out of the house.

+++++

Evening came upon the residents of Summer Bay and Yabbie Creek.

8:00PM

“Nice quiet evening tonight” Richard smiled, sitting back on his chair and placing his feet up on the desk. "That's the way it should stay. No more phone calls with incidents or disputes, and no phone calls with nasty surprises."

Suddenly, the phone on Charlie’s desk rang.

“Doesn’t look like it’s gonna be a quiet night” Charlie replied. Picking up the phone, she answered the call.

“Charlie Buckton...........................one moment, I’ll transfer the call.”

“Richard, there’s someone on the phone for you.”

“You know what’s funny?” Richard asked.

“What?”

“You always get the calls that are intended for me, and I get the ones intended for you.” Richard chuckled. He picked up his phone from his desk.

“Richard Dean speaking.........................DOCS?.........................Who? Jill?..........................What’s all this about?...............................WHAT?”

Charlie saw Richard suddenly looking pale and shaking.

“You OK, Richard?” Charlie asked. Richard slowly put the phone down and turned to Charlie, covering his mouth with his hands.

“That........that was the Department of Community Services” Richard replied, staggering to speak.

“What did they want?” Charlie asked.

“Remember that article from the website about the car crash?” Richard asked. Charlie nodded.

“It was Jill, my ex-fiance who left me standing at the altar." Richard continued. "She was the driver who was killed. But.......but.........but that’s not all.”

“What?” Charlie asked, concerned. “Richard, you’re scaring me.”

“DOCS rang me up because they're asking me to take care of her eight year old son, Billy.”

“Billy? Why has DOCS asked you to take care of her son?” Charlie asked, confused.

“Because...................Billy.................” Richard took a deep breath. “Billy is my son.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Daddy)

Richard meets Billy for the first time.

Belle receives some news from the Photography School in Amsterdam. Will she be accepted in the scholarship program?

Leah finally finds out the truth about Ray.

CHAPTER 77: DADDY!

“You........you have a.....a........son?” Charlie asked. The Senior Constable was still stunned after hearing what her boyfriend had just admitted only seconds ago.

“Yes” Richard nodded. “Billy is my son. He is my child with Jill.”

Charlie stood up and paced slowly around the office.

“Charlie?” Richard asked. Charlie kept walking around.

“Charlie?” Richard asked again. “Please say something. What’s on your mind?”

“Wow, Richard. I mean............you......you have a son, and you never mentioned a thing.”

Richard sighed. “I know. I’m sorry, Charlie”

“I mean......how long have you kept the fact that you have a son a secret?”

“Too long” Richard silently responded. “Charlie, let me explain.”

Taking a seat back in her chair, Charlie turned around to face the constable.

“Please do explain, Richard.”

“This was about nine and a half years ago” Richard started the story. “I was only 21 at the time and I was engaged to Jill. We were both madly in love with each other. We did what everyone our age did: partying, drinking, having a good time. Anyway, I can still remember the one time when Jill and I went clubbing with Warren and his mates to celebrate his 25th birthday in the city. Everyone was drunk, including Jill and Myself. Anyway, despite that we were both drunk, we still managed to get back to our home by ourselves. Jill was also a strong Christian, so although we lived together, we agreed not to share a bed together until we were married.”

“But you were both drunk” Charlie noted.

“We were” Richard replied. “Despite our Christian beliefs, one thing led to another and we ended up in bed together that one night. We woke up the next morning, feeling embarrassed at ourselves that we threw our beliefs out the door because of alcohol.”

“Well, alcohol can do so much” Charlie let out a small chuckle. Richard stared at her, unimpressed.

“Sorry Richard. So what happened next?”

“The next morning, Jill packed her bags and moved back in to her parent’s house. We agreed that to avoid the same thing from happening again, we would both live separately until after we were married........well, after we were supposed to be married. About a month later, the wedding day arrived and I arrived at the Church, waiting for Jill to arrive. But instead, about half-an-hour after the time when the ceremony should’ve started, my sister Frances rang me up, saying that Jill did a runner.”

“Wow............I’m......I’m sorry, Richard. It must have been devastating.”

“About five months later, I received a letter from Jill. She explained that she did a runner at our wedding because she took a pregnancy test about a week before and it confirmed that she was pregnant. Then I suddenly remembered about that one drunken night we were together – that must’ve been the night that resulted in Jill falling pregnant to Billy.”

“Richard...........why didn’t you tell me about this?” Charlie asked. “Why did you keep it a secret?” Richard took a deep breath, then continued.

“Jill also wrote on the letter that she’s not coming back. She said that she wanted to raise the child on her own. She would not file for Child support, or anything from me. She pretty much shut me out of my own child’s life.”

“I don’t understand” Charlie asked. “Why would she do that?”

“Like I said before Charlie, we were both young and we did stupid things” Richard replied. “I guess she was just scared. I tried to contact her, but failed. After receiving that letter, that was the last I ever heard from her. I never heard anything about how she was coping, or how my son was.”

“Oh, Richard” Charlie whispered. “I still don’t know why you didn’t want to tell anyone. There are people who can help you through this. Why didn’t you say a word?”

“I just wanted to move on” Richard said, trying to hide the tears which was slowly forming in his eyes. “I mean, I never heard from both of them. I didn’t want to have to wait forever for them to come back to me. I had to stop thinking about them and go on with my life.”

Seeing that Richard could no longer hold his tears back, Charlie stood up and approached her boyfriend with a hug.

“I know it hurts, Richard. I’m sorry” Charlie whispered. Wiping the tears away from his face, Richard took some time to calm himself down.

“So DOCS called you, asking you to take care of your son” Charlie spoke.

“I’m guessing that despite that Jill didn’t want me in her, or Billy’s life, she still had the decency to acknowledge me as Billy’s biological father in the Hospital records” Richard thought. “DOCS must have found about me through that. I mean, how else would they know I’m his father?

“So what are you gonna do?” Charlie asked. Richard buried his head in his hands.

“I really don’t know, Charlie.”

“Richard, you have to take care of Billy” Charlie said. “You’re his Dad, and now that Jill’s gone, he’ll need you more than ever.”

“But Billy doesn’t know me. I never knew Billy.” Richard replied. “How can I take care of him?”

“Richard, this is your chance, and perhaps your only chance to have the son you never knew into your life” Charlie explained. “There is no one else out there who will take care of that little boy, other than you. He needs to know his real father.” Richard took some time to think.

“You’re right”

“What?” Charlie asked.

“You’re right, Charlie” Richard replied. “I need to take care of him. He’s my son, and I can’t turn my back on him, just because Jill took him away from me.”

“I’m happy for you, you've made the right decision” Charlie smiled.

“Hang on” Richard interrupted. “What........what about us? I mean, does that change everything?”

“I may be shocked, and all” Charlie spoke. “But nothing’s changed. I still love you and I will support you, 100%, no matter what happens.”

“Thank you” Richard whispered, giving the Senior Constable a hug.

“So what’s going to happen?” Charlie asked.

“I’ll have to make a phone call to DOCS and let them know” Richard replied. Picking up the phone, he dialled some numbers.

+++++

A new morning came for the residents of Summer Bay. At the Diner, Leah was unstacking the chairs, whilst Colleen was preparing the counter. Hugo entered inside with a newspaper in his hand.

7:00AM

“Here, let me help you with that” Hugo offered. Placing down the newspaper on the counter, he began taking down the chairs.

“Well well well” Leah chuckled. “Hugo Austin! Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes” Hugo chuckled at her comment. “How’ve you been?”

“Well..........I’ve had a complex couple of days, but other than that, I’m fine” Hugo smiled.

“And a complex couple of days it must’ve been. I overheard Tony and Rachel talking about what happened in Broken Hill the other night at the Dinner party. Are you OK?”

“To be honest, Leah, I’m still reeling over what really happened” Hugo sighed. “One minute, you’re told that your father’s dead, the next minute, you find out that he’s not dead, but instead helping the Police bring down a gang of criminals. It’s not something you’d expect to hear in your life, is it?”

“Not at all” Leah replied. “Anyway, just keep in mind that I’m here for you, and your brothers and Gina too, and you can always come to me if you need someone to talk to.” Hugo stared suspiciously at Leah.

“What?” Leah asked, trying to hide her laughter after noticing Hugo’s suspicious look.

I’m here for you?” Hugo said, quoting Leah’s words. “Wow, you’re making it sound like you want me."

“What?” Leah asked, shocked. “Of course not, I’m just saying that..........”

“Looks like someone has a crush on somebody” Colleen giggled from the counter, looking on at the pair.

“COLLEEN!”

“Well, well, well” Hugo smiled. “It’s true then, you DO have a crush on me.”

“No I don’t” Leah protested.

“Yes, you do!” Hugo teased her.

“No, I don’t!”

“Yes, you do!” Hugo repeated. “I know you do. After that one night we spent together, you just couldn’t resist me and my Austin charm, couldn’t you?” Leah stared at him, confused.

“Yeah, that’s right” Hugo teased. “They say only the Holden’s have the charm with the ladies, but I beg to differ! You can deny it all you want, but I know you couldn’t stop thinking about our night together.”

“Stop it!” Leah replied, trying not to laugh. Hugo raised his hands up in defence.

“Alright, I’ll stop. I’ll just pick up the cake from the fridge that Mum ordered and I’ll be on my way, but I guarantee to you, it’s not the end of us. You’ll admit it one day. I know it!” Picking up the cake from Colleen, Hugo skipped his way joyfully out of the Diner.

“What a showman!” Leah burst out laughing. “Seriously, he doesn’t know what he’s saying.”

“Oh Please, Leah!” Colleen argued. “We all know you fancy Hugo Austin.”

“I DO NOT!”

“It’s hard to say you don’t have a crush on him, when all you do is talk about him” Colleen giggled.

“OK, OK” Leah replied. “Maybe I have a little..........let’s call it an innocent........yet friendly interest in him, but mark my words, Colleen – just because the two of us spent the night together, which by the way, only Charlie and now you know about and would gladly appreciate you not telling the whole world, doesn’t mean that he’s interested in me, OK? Hugo’s just being silly, like he always is.”

“Well, I’ll keep my mouth shut” Colleen replied. “But I know that one day, you’ll fall madly in love with him and will admit the truth to him eventually!”

“Whatever you say, Colleen” Leah rolled her eyes.

Colleen noticed Hugo’s newspaper on the counter.

“Looks like Hugo forgot his paper.............whoa, take a look at this!” Leah took the newspaper and scanned through the front page.”

“What on earth?” Leah wondered. She saw a picture of Ray on the front cover, beside the article. “Ray Henderson: Summer Bay’s crime victim. Police have discovered that local Real Estate Agent Ray Henderson, who was arrested after staging a robbery at the local Surf Club and the Summer Bay Super Bods was one, among many victims caught up in a large gang of thieves, based in Broken Hill.” Leah continued reading the article down to the end of the page.

“Oh my God!” Leah gasped, placing the newspaper back on the counter.

+++++

At Irene’s house, Annie and Ruby were setting up the table, while Irene was cooking breakfast on the stove.

“So what have you girls got planned for today?” Irene asked.

“We’re going to meet up with Jai and Xavier” Ruby explained. “Then we’re going to Tony and Rachel’s house to help Rachel set up the baby stuff.”

“Yeah, I heard about their little shopping spree the other day” Irene chuckled. “Poor Tony, I wonder how much money he lost this time.”

“Anyway, that’s what we’re doing. I think Tony and Aden will be going for a Surf.”

“Sounds like a busy day” Irene commented.

“It’s a busy day indeed!” Belle called out, emerging from the hallway to join the others at the table. And yes, I told Rachel on the phone the other night to tell Tony to take Aden out while we help with the baby stuff. Aden keeps clinging to me, like a Jack Russell!”

“Well, it’s because he loves you” Irene laughed.

“Yeah, I know” Belle smiled. “But he wouldn’t be interested in all our girly and baby talk, so I’m glad to hear that Tony’s gonna take him surfing, and besides, Aden could do with some practice, he’s shocking!” Ruby and Annie couldn’t help but giggle.

“Oh by the way” Irene said. “I just remembered. This just came in this morning. It’s for you” Irene handed Belle an envelope.

“Who’s it from?” Belle wondered. Opening the letter, Belle noticed the logo on the top right-hand corner of the paper.

“It’s from the Photography school in Amsterdam” Belle noted.

“What does it say?” Annie asked.

Dear Belle,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for participating in our Photography program, and we hope that the past six months with us has been enjoyable and successful. It is, however with great regret, our responsibility to inform you that you have not been selected for a position in our Scholarship program. We hope that this decision, despite you may feel disappointed, has not discouraged you from pursuing a career in Photography, should you wish to continue in that field.

We wish you all the best in your future, and on behalf of the Photography Institute, we once again thank you for your participation in our course.

Regards;

Samuel Van Rijn

Course Coordinator.

Irene, Ruby and Annie noticed Belle looking shocked and stunned.

“Belle?” Annie called out. “What’s wrong?”

“The scholarship position” Belle replied. “They....................they didn’t accept me. I’m not in.”

+++++

9:00AM

“Are you ready for this?” Warren asked Richard. The brothers, along with Charlie were at the waiting room at the DOCS centre in the City. Charlie, turned to the nervous constable who sat beside her and straightened up his tie and fixed his collar.

“I’m.........I’m nervous” Richard replied. Grabbing a tissue from his pocket, he wiped the sweat that was pouring down from his forehead. “I just can’t believe that I’m gonna meet my son, for the first time, today! I mean, after all these years.”

“Don’t worry, mate. We’re here for you” Warren placed his arm around his baby brother.

“Thanks” Richard replied.

“So what did DOCS say?” Charlie asked.

“They said that they’ve explained everything to Billy, and that he knows that I’m his real father” Richard replied. “They said that he can’t wait to meet me.”

“Well, it won’t be long now” Warren smiled. “He’ll be coming through that door any second now.”

“I know. Anyway, where’s Frances? Doesn’t she want to meet her nephew?”

“She called me, saying that she’s stuck at the airport in Brisbane” Warren explained. “Don’t worry, she’ll be here. She said she’s looking forward to meeting him.”

“I hope so.”

Richard, Charlie and Watson looked up to see the door open. The social worker, along with eight year old Billy entered the room. Richard gasped in shock, covering his mouth with his hands.

“My God!” Richard whispered.

“Here he is!” The social worker spoke. “Richard, this is your son, Billy. Billy, that’s your father, Richard.” Richard stood up from his seat. Tears flew rapidly down his face.

“Daddy!” Billy shouted with joy, running up to the constable.

“Billy!” Richard cried. “Oh my God, you’re here with me!” Richard crouched down on the ground, giving his son a big warm fatherly hug.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Struggling Thoughts)

After reading the article, Leah is torn between her past romance with Ray and her crush on Hugo.

Charlie watches on as Richard and Billy form a strong father-son bond.

Belle and the teens help Rachel set up the Baby Equipment.

After discovering Tony’s ordeal with Kent, Aden lends his support.

Finally finished typing this Chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 78: STRUGGLING THOUGHTS

9:15AM

Fifteen minutes had passed since Richard saw his own son Billy for the first time. Whilst Richard, Billy and the Social Worker sat on a table to sort out some paperwork, Charlie and Warren sat at the back of the room.

“Look at them” Warren whispered to Charlie, smiling. He noticed Billy leaning onto his father who sat next to him. He was clinging to his father’s arm.

“It’s like they knew each other forever” Charlie responded.

“Well, it’s thanks to you that Richard and Billy are together now.”

“Me?” Charlie asked. “Come on, Warren. I had nothing to do with it.”

“Of course you did” Warren replied. “Richard told me that you were the one who convinced him to take care of Billy. It’s good to see that little boy is with his father now.”

“What do you mean?” Charlie asked.

“I mean............I’m glad that he’s not with Jill anymore. Don’t get me wrong Charlie, I’m sad for her family that she died in that car accident, but I still disliked her because she ran out on their wedding day with no explanation, and when she eventually told the truth, she kept Billy away from my brother and refused to let him into Billy’s life. Now that Billy’s here, I’m sure Richard will be ten times better as a parent than what Jill ever was, and I’ve got you to thank you for it.”

“Er...............thanks Warren” Charlie replied.

“No need to thank me” Warren replied. “I should be thanking you. I was wrong about you at first, but now, after what you’ve done for my brother, it shows that you care for him and that you love him. I’m happy for you two that you are together, and I’m sure that you’ll be a great role model for Billy when he gets older.”

“Role model?” Charlie asked, confused.

“Yeah” Warren replied. “Now that you’re with Richard and that Jill is dead, Billy is also gonna need a female to look up to – sort of like a motherly-like figure, someone better than Jill, you know what I mean?” Charlie stood still, after hearing what Warren had just said.

“Charlie?” Warren called out. “Are you OK?”

“No, no. I’m fine, thanks. Just had a daydream moment, that’s all. Sorry.”

+++++

At the Holden House, Aden, Belle, Annie and Ruby were seated at the lounge, having a discussion with Xavier.

9:30AM

“Oh my God......are you alright?” Ruby asked.

“I’ll be fine” Xavier replied.

“I mean, you were locked up in that van for hours. How can the Police be so........ignorant?”

“I didn’t enjoy the ride” Xavier explained. “But in the end, it was the fact that we were all safe and that Dad is alive and well. That’s all that counts.”

“Well, I’m glad that everything’s back to normal for you” Annie smiled.

Xavier looked over at the Kitchen and saw steam spurting out of the Kettle.

“The water’s boiled, girls. I’ll get your Hot Chocolate’s ready” Xavier stood up from his seat.

“er.....I’ll help you” Aden replied, following behind Xavier.

As the girls remained chatting on the couch, Aden approached Xavier.

“Hey mate, can I ask you something” Aden asked quietly.

“Sure” Xavier replied.

“Is there something that’s bothering Tony at the moment? I mean, when we arrived, he didn’t look like his normal self, compared to when we saw him before we left for Amsterdam.”

“Uncle Tony’s had a lot to deal with over the past month” Xavier answered. “He’s just trying to move on.”

“Oh” Aden said. “What’s wrong.” Xavier sighed, not knowing what to say.

“Xavier?” Aden said. Xavier took a deep breath.

“Uncle Tony’s had a run-in with his father, my grandad” Xavier spoke. “One night, Grandad kidnapped him and tried to kill him by trapping him inside an old warehouse and setting it on fire.”

“WHAT?” Aden exclaimed. “I don’t understand. Why?”

“We only found out that Uncle Tony had an abusive past with Grandad, and from what we know, it was a terrible, terrible one. Uncle Tony has been shook up about it ever since. He keeps saying that he’s alright, but I know something’s not right. I hope that Grandad never comes near him again. I really worry about Tony sometimes.”

“Wow.....er.........I can’t believe it.” Aden said. “Do you think I should talk to him?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea” Xavier replied. “He might be angry, now that I’ve told you.”

At that moment, Tony appeared at the door, wearing only a pair of board shorts and carrying a surfboard in his other hand.

“Hey guys” Tony greeted everyone. “Aden, you ready?”

“I’m ready when you are” Aden smiled.

“Great. Jack said you can use his surfboard, so we’ll just go and pick it up and we’ll be off to the Beach.”

“OK, I’m ready” Aden replied, heading towards Belle and giving her a kiss. “Have fun.”

“Yeah, fun” Belle replied sarcastically. Aden sighed, seeing his girlfriend disappointed.

“I know that the news about the Scholarship is disappointing, but there are still other opportunities and other options that you can take.”

“You would think” Belle rolled her eyes.

“Of course there are” Aden reassured his girlfriend. “But now, all I want you to do is have fun with helping Rachel with the Baby stuff and keep you mind off that Scholarship program. Don’t worry about it.”

“OK I won’t” Belle smiled. “But it’s only because I love you, so I’ll take your advice.”

“Well I’m your boyfriend, so you’ll have to take my advice, Aden chuckled, giving her another kiss. “OK, bye.”

“Bye.”

As Tony and Aden left the house, Rachel came out of the bedroom, having changed her clothes after taking a quick shower.

“Sorry to keep you waiting guys.”

“That’s OK” Annie replied. “No rush.” Rachel looked over at the Kitchen, seeing Xavier preparing the Hot Chocolates.”

“Oh, I see you guys are making Hot Chocolates.”

“They’re for the girls” Xavier replied.

“That’s OK” Rachel smiled. “You guys finish your drinks and then we’ll get started. I might as well dry my hair while I’m at it” Rachel headed back to the bedroom.

+++++

At the Diner, Colleen was busy taking care of the counter whilst Irene and Leah were preparing meals in the Kitchen. Irene saw that Leah was not in such a cheerful mood.

“Something bothering you, love?” Irene asked.

“er......no, not really. Why?”

“Come on” Irene said. “You can be a good liar to people like Colleen, but certainly not to me. I can tell something’s bothering you. What’s up?” Leah sighed.

“OK, I’ll tell you” Leah replied. “I read this article on the paper about Ray.”

“Ray Henderson, the Real estate agent who robbed the Surf Club?”

“Yeah” Leah replied. “It turns out that the robbery was not his idea.”

“What do you mean? If it wasn’t his idea, then whose was it?”

“Some guy named Craig Dawson” Leah replied. “He blackmailed a lot of people around the country, including Ray to rob wealthy businesses so that he could gain financial wealth.”

“Whoa.....er............that’s massive, isn’t it?”

“I know” Leah replied. “But I just can’t help but think.......”

“Think what?” Irene asked.

“Ray only stole because he had no choice” Leah explained. “He didn’t want to, but he was pressured by this Dawson guy.”

“OK.......what are you saying?”

“I can’t help but wonder.........the dates that we went out together. I mean.....does Ray really love me after all?”

“Love, it’s hard to say” Irene replied. “I mean, he hurt you when he lied about himself. He didn’t tell you the truth. He may not have meant to hurt you, but in the end, he still did the robbery so now, he has to live with the consequences for his actions.”

“I understand what you’re saying, Irene” Leah replied. “But it’s still......it’s still just all complicated. There is a part of me that wants me to forget Ray after what he did to Alf and Tony, especially Tony after all the hell he went through this past month, but after reading the article, there’s also a part of me that wants to give him a second chance. I mean, despite what he did, he didn’t do it intentionally. He didn’t have any other option.” Irene was shocked after hearing what Leah had said.

“Are you kidding me? Of course he had a choice. He could’ve told the Police about Craig Dawson.”

“But it’s not that simple, Irene” Leah replied. “Dawson probably would’ve killed him if he exposed all his dirty work. I.......I just don’t know what to do, honestly. Then, there's Hugo too."

"Oh yeah, how's that going?" Irene asked. "Colleen told me that you have a crush on him." Leah was annoyed after hearing that.

"OK, first of all I'm gonna kill Colleen, and second of all, it's not a crush. It's just an innocent......little........general interest. That's all."

"Well, do you love him?"

"Yes....I mean no....I mean.......oh, stop confusing me Irene!" Leah said. "Sure, Hugo's a nice guy and Ray was sweet to me up to the point when he was arrested, but still, I don't know what I'm gonna do."

"Well" Irene replied. "Take some time to think about it later. In the meantime, this plate goes to table fifteen."

"Yeah OK" Leah said, taking the plate from Irene and making her way out of the Kitchen.

+++++

At the Bachelor Pad, Gina was preparing the cake that Hugo collected from the Diner earlier in the morning. Hugo sat on the lounge, helping Brendan with his colouring books.

10:00AM

Martha entered, after having made a quick visit to Alf at the Surf Club.

“Hey” Martha called out. Brendan came up towards her with a piece of paper.

“Wow Brendan, what’s this?”

“Brendan drew a picture of you and Jack” Brendan giggled.

“Aww, that’s lovely Brendan, thank you” Martha smiled, taking the drawing. “I have an idea. Why don’t you draw another picture, and I’ll put this one up on the fridge.”

“OK” Brendan smiled as he headed back to the table with Hugo.

Entering the Kitchen, Martha saw Gina preparing the cake.

“Wow, that looks good.”

“Hey, I haven’t finished yet” Gina chuckled. “I only ordered the basic layers of the cake. I still have to decorate it and everything. By the way, thanks for letting me use your Kitchen. I can just imagine baby toys and things flooded all over the living room next door.” Martha giggled at her comment.

“You’re welcome. So Irene’s put you on cake duty?”

“Yes she has” Gina replied. “She told me about Belle’s birthday coming up soon and that she wants to make it a surprise, but she’s also wanting some help from everyone, so I agreed to organise the Birthday cake. I just hope I don’t mess it up!”

“You won’t” Martha replied. “Belle’s surprise party isn’t until another couple of days or so, so you’ve got plenty of time. Oh, that reminds me, Irene’s asked Grandad to prepare the Surf Club for the party, and he's looking for someone to help set it up with him.”

“Oh” Gina replied. “Does he have anyone in mind, because you should get someone lazy, like Hugo to help him?”

“Hey, I am NOT lazy!” Hugo called out from the living room.

“Actually” Martha replied. “I was thinking of asking Andrew.”

“Uncle Andrew?” Gina asked.

“Yeah. I mean, they’re both around the same age and it would be good for Andrew to have some male company and some friends in the Bay.”

“Actually, that’s not a bad idea at all” Gina replied. She then stared at her son. “You’re just lucky this time, Hugo!”

“OK, OK” Hugo whispered, rolling his eyes.

At that moment, Martha’s mobile beeped, indicating a new message. Taking out her mobile, Martha read the text.

Hey Babe, wish me luck. Watson’s driving me crazy as usual. I’ll need a miracle to survive today with her! Love you. Jack xx

“Oh, Jack!” Martha giggled. “He’s complaining again, as always”

“What’s he not happy about now?” Hugo asked.

“Jack’s just jealous because Charlie appointed Watson as the boss of the station for the day, while she’s out with Richard and Warren in the city. Sounds like Watson’s giving him a hard time!”

+++++

At the Beach, Tony and Aden sat down on the sand, drying themselves up with their towels after having had a surf along the waves.

“So what did you think?” Aden asked Tony.

“Not bad, not bad” Tony replied. “Although I think Belle’s right – you need more practice!”

“Belle’s always right!” Aden laughed.

After having dried himself off, Aden turned around to face Tony.

“So Tony, it’s been a long time since Belle and I left for Amsterdam. How’ve you been going?”

“er......fine. Why?”

“Nothing, just wondering. What’ve you and Rach been up to while we were gone?” Aden asked. He wanted to get Tony to talk about his problems and not hide it from everyone else.

“We’ve been the same” Tony replied. “You know, getting ready for the baby and stuff.”

“Oh” Aden replied. “Which, by the way, Belle and I heard the good news from Irene over the phone. Congratulations!”

“Thanks” Tony smiled.

“So, anything else that’s been going on?” Aden asked.

“Nope, not really” Tony replied. Aden saw that Tony looked somewhat agitated.

“Really? Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.” Tony replied. “Aden paused for a second, trying to think what to say next.

“Come on Tony, I know something’s up.”

“What do you mean?” Tony asked.

“You seem a bit distracted and confused about something. I can tell.”

“No, trust me. Nothing is distracting me, or confusing me” Tony responded.

Aden took a deep breath.

“OK Tony, I’ll admit it. I know it. I know why you haven’t been yourself lately.”

“Sorry?” Tony asked.

“Please don’t get angry with me” Aden said. “I heard about your run-in with your father and that he tried to kill you by trapping you inside a warehouse and setting it on fire.”

“I......I don’t know what you’re talking about” Tony lied, trying to avoid the subject.

“Come on Tony, you can’t fool me” Aden replied. Tony looked down on the ground and took a deep breath.

“So you heard about it?”

“I have” Aden replied. Aden saw a small tear fall down Tony’s cheek. Sensing that Aden was staring at him, Tony quickly turned to the opposite direction, trying to hide his face.

“Listen” Aden continued, placing his hand on Tony’s shoulder. “If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always come to me.” Wiping the tear away, Tony turned around to face Aden.

“Thanks........thanks mate.”

After a moment of silence, Aden spoke again.

“So........is this the part where we’re meant to hug?” Aden joked. Tony chuckled at his comment.

“OK, come here” Tony replied, giving Aden a hug. Picking up their surfboards, Tony and Aden stood up and began to make their way back to the house.

“So how do you think Xavier and the girls are doing back at your place?”

“They should be fine” Tony smiled. “They’re smart, they’ll be finished in no time!”

+++++

Meanwhile at the Holden House...

“How on earth does this connect together?” Ruby asked, annoyed. She, along with Belle, Annie and Xavier were trying to set up the safety gate for the door leading to the Kitchen.

“Try turning it around” Xavier suggested.

“I’ve tried that, but it doesn’t fit!” Ruby replied.

“Well, what does it say in the instructions?” Annie asked.

“I don’t know” Ruby said, rolling her eyes. “Perhaps if any of you can read Hebrew, we’ll be able to read the instructions! Goodness me, just because this gate was made in Israel, doesn’t mean it has to be just in Hebrew – if they’re exporting it here to Australia, they need English instructions!"

“Maybe I can help” Gina called out, entering the Front door. Picking up the paper from the floor, Gina read the instructions, then looked at all the parts that were scattered on the floor.

“OK. Annie, why don’t you take that metal pole, Belle, take that L-shaped thing over there and connect one end to the Pole that Annie’s holding, and connect the other end to the one that Ruby has in her hand. Following Gina’s instructions, Annie, Belle and Ruby placed the items together and were surprised to see that the parts fitted in nicely and the Gate was now ready to operate.

“Oh my God! We did it!” Ruby exclaimed.

“Mum, what on Earth?” Xavier asked, confused. “Since when can you read Hebrew writing?”

“I can’t” Gina laughed. “I opened it up and the Instructions were translated in English. Didn’t you see it?”

“What?” Ruby exclaimed, grabbing the instructions. Opening up the folded paper, she saw the English writing. “Wow, I'm an idiot! So there were English instructions after all!”

Gina went up to Rachel, who was tidying up in the Kitchen.

“Hey Rach. Martha’s run out of sugar, so I’ll just grab one of our packets, if you don’t mind.”

“Of course not. Go for it” Rachel replied. “How’s the cake going?”

“Still a bit to go, but hopefully we’ll get there” Gina whispered. “Wish me luck.”

“Good luck” Rachel smiled.

+++++

After having spent the morning at the DOCS centre in the city, Charlie and Richard, along with Billy arrived home at Richard’s apartment. Richard hung up his mobile phone after having a conversation with his Brother.

“Warren said that Frances should be at Sydney Airport in a matter of minutes. He’s already there, waiting for her at the terminal.”

“I see” Charlie replied. Richard went up to Billy who was sitting on the couch. He noticed that he was a bit upset.

“Hey buddy, what’s wrong?” Richard asked.

“I miss Mummy” Billy replied. Richard took a moment to think of a response.

“I know you do, mate. But don’t worry. Mummy will always love you, no matter what. But now, you’ve got me, Daddy to look after you. Everyone told me that you always wanted to meet me, and now, here I am!”

“Why weren’t you with Mummy?” Billy asked. Richard sighed.

“It’s a long story, mate. I know I haven’t been with you when you were growing up, but I’m here now, and I promise you, we’ll spend every time we’ve got together. I love you, mate.”

“I love you too, Daddy.” Billy smiled.

“Buddies?”

“Buddies!” Billy replied, giving his father a big hug.

Charlie watched on from a distance. A million thoughts rushed through her head. She remembered her earlier discussion with Warren.

“I was wrong about you at first, but now, after what you’ve done for my brother, it shows that you care for him and that you love him. I’m happy for you two that you are together, and I’m sure that you’ll be a great role model for Billy when he gets older.”

“Role model?” Charlie asked, confused.

“Yeah” Warren replied. “Now that you’re with Richard and that Jill is dead, Billy is also gonna need a female to look up to – sort of like a motherly-like figure, someone better than Jill, you know what I mean?”

Charlie was confused. After Richard confessed to her about having a son from his first ex-fiance, Charlie accepted it, for the sake of Billy having someone to care for him. But now she was beginning to wonder – now that Billy’s entered her boyfriend’s life, will her relationship with Richard ever be the same again? Or will it change forever?

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Relationship Fears)

Charlie confides with Leah about her fears for her relationship with Richard, now that Billy has entered his life.

Alf gives Andrew a job at the Surf Club, whilst Tony is given a surprise upon his return to the Gym.

CHAPTER 79: RELATIONSHIP FEARS

At the Bachelor Pad, Martha, Hugo and Brendan gathered around at the kitchen, watching Gina work on the Birthday cake that Irene requested for Belle’s surprise birthday.

“Oh my God, it looks bad, doesn’t it?” Gina said, staring at her unfinished cake.

“Come on, Mum. It’s fine” Hugo reassured his mother.

“How can you say it’s bad?” Martha asked. “You haven’t even finished yet.”

“Yeah” Gina replied. “But I think I put too much icing on that side. I think I might have to change the design.”

“Well, I’ll leave that to your expertise” Hugo smiled. “Come on Brendan, let’s finish your colouring book.”

Andrew and Lucas arrived at the front door.

“Hey guys, how was your walk?” Martha asked.

“It was great” Andrew replied. “Lucas gave me a long tour around the Bay. Now I think I’ve seen it all!”

“Perhaps sometime, we’ll show you around our neighbouring town, Yabbie Creek.” Lucas suggested.

“I’d like that, thanks.”

As Lucas joined the boys on the couch, Andrew went up to the girls in the Kitchen.

“Whoa, that cake looks a bit funny, doesn’t it?”

“OK, that’s it” Gina exclaimed. “I’m starting all over again. I knew it!”

“Wait Wait Wait” Andrew interrupted. “I didn’t mean it like that. I meant, perhaps you can add just a bit more icing on that side, and maybe add a few more decorations on that side and it’ll look better.”

“You think?” Gina asked.

“Yeah, positive” Andrew smiled.

“Let’s just hope that Irene and Belle approve of my cake” Gina commented.

“Actually, speaking about the party” Martha added. “I just remembered something. Andrew, you remember my grandfather, Alf Stewart, right?”

“er......I think I do” Andrew replied. “He was the bloke who made the announcements at the Dinner the other night. I didn’t really get the chance to meet him properly, though” Martha nodded.

“Yes. Well anyway, I was wondering if you would like to help him at the Surf Club with some things for Belle’s party. He could do with an extra hand.”

“er........sure. What does he need help with?”

“Well” Martha replied. “Irene’s booked the Surf Club for Belle’s party to take place in the evening, so Grandad will close down the building during the day. I’ll be helping Warren and the ladies at the Diner bring the food over. All you and Grandad need to do is clean up and rearrange the tables and maybe put up some lights and decorations.”

“OK, that sounds fine to me” Andrew smiled.

Tony and Aden appeared at the doorstep. Placing the surfboards against the wall, they entered inside.

“Hey” Martha smiled. “How was the Surf?”

“Good” Tony replied. “But Aden needs more practice.”

“Hey! I warned you, I wasn’t good” Aden joked.

“Well, you weren’t that bad” Tony smiled. “But you just need to work a little bit more on the manoeuvres.”

“Point taken” Aden laughed.

“Anyway, you guys hungry?” Martha asked.

“Actually, we’ve already eaten. We decided to stop by at the Diner on the way” Aden replied. “Anyway Martha, tell Jack I said Hi and thank him for letting me use his board. I’m going to see what Belle’s up to next door.”

“And I’m going to see if my living room still exists” Tony joked.

As Aden and Tony headed back out the door, they bumped into Xavier, who was coming towards them.

“Hey guys, how was surfing?”

“It was great, some nice waves” Tony replied. “How was everyone with the Baby stuff?”

“All done, finally” Xavier responded, giving out a sigh of relief. “A few problems came up, but we got there.”

“Well I better go and check it out” Tony said.

“I’ll be there in a minute” Aden replied.

“OK.” Tony made his way back home.

Seeing that Tony was out of sight, Aden began a conversation with Xavier.

“Hey Xavier, I spoke with Tony and you were right about him being bothered with something.”

“WHAT?” Xavier exclaimed. “I told you not to mention a thing........what did he say?” Aden raised his hands up in defence.”

“Don’t worry, he wasn’t angry” Aden replied. “But I think he’s in some sort of denial about things.”

“What do you mean?” Xavier asked.

“I mean” Aden continued. “Tony thought I was crazy when I told him I knew about the abuse, saying that he doesn’t know what I’m talking about. But I saw his face, and I can tell that he knew that I was telling the truth.”

“Well, it hasn’t been an easy month for Uncle Tony” Xavier replied. “But all he wants to do is forget about it and move on.”

“I know” Aden replied. “But I just want to warn you about something.”

“Like what?”

“I may not know the whole story, but from what I can see, I think your Uncle’s not entirely over the whole incident.”

“But....that can’t be right” Xavier said. “I.....I thought that after he went to Alice Springs and saw his childhood home that it would help him accept what had happened and move on.”

“From what you told me earlier, and from what I’ve seen” Aden replied. “I don’t think Tony’s moved on completely, despite trying to hide it and deny it, like he tried to do with me. I’m just warning you that I think that your Uncle’s just bottling things up. If he doesn’t talk to someone soon, he’s gonna go on some downward spiral, and I’d hate to think at what it could be. Again, Xavier, it’s just my thoughts, but I would suggest that you don’t ignore it.”

“er.......well, thanks Aden” Xavier responded. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

+++++

2:00PM

Charlie unlocked the door to Leah’s house. Placing her bag on the chair on the lounge, Charlie heard some noises coming from the Kitchen.

“Hello?” Charlie called out. Charlie saw Leah poke her head through the doorway.

“Oh, Hey Charlie” Leah called out. Charlie headed towards the Kitchen.

“You’re home early” Charlie noted.

“I just finished my morning shift at the Diner. Ruby’s taking my evening shift, so I’ve got the rest of the day off.”

“Lucky you” Charlie smiled.

“Hey! It’s not only me” Leah chuckled. “You have today off, and speaking of which, how did Richard’s meeting at DOCS go?”

“It went well” Charlie replied. “Richard was well, and he saw his own son for the first time. Billy looked well also. It was exciting, it was great, and everything went well.” Leah looked at the Senior Constable, confused.

“OK Charlie. You said the word ‘well’ too many times”

“Did I?” Charlie asked.

“Yes” Leah replied. “And it can mean only one thing.”

“What?”

“It means that something’s bothering you. What’s up?”

“er.....nothing, Nothing’s bothering me at all” Charlie responded.

“Come on, Charlie” Leah said. “Something’s wrong” is pretty much written all over you. Let me guess – is it about you and Richard?”

“YES!......I mean no, I mean...........” Leah interrupted her.

“Ohhhhh...you said yes! You said yes! So it IS about you and Richard?”

“OK, OK, you win!” Charlie exclaimed. She and Leah took a seat on the table.

“So, what’s wrong with you and Richard?”

“I don’t know” Charlie replied. “It’s just..........I just don’t know about how the relationship’s gonna work out, now that he’s got Billy.”

“What do you mean?” Leah asked.

“Warren said to me that Billy will need some sort of motherly figure in his life........I mean, that can only lead to one thing.”

“What?”

“Richard’s probably gonna want me to be Billy’s new mother” Charlie replied. “But I mean, I’m not ready for it.”

“Well, you were ready to be in a relationship with him” Leah noted.

“I know, but I just wanted the relationship to work slowly” Charlie explained. “I didn’t expect the entire “family package” to turn up at our doorstep! I mean, Richard and I have only been together for around a week or so. The next minute, he’s probably gonna want to propose to me – as far as I know, he and Billy could be at the Jewellers shop right now, buying me an engagement ring!”

“Come on, Charlie” Leah chuckled. “Richard’s not gonna do something big like that right now.”

“I don’t know, Leah. I’m just utterly......utterly confused. The only reason I encouraged Richard to take care of Billy is because he is his biological father, and he deserves to see his own son, who was continuously hidden away from him. But now.........I’m just worried that our relationship is gonna take a blow because of Billy.”

“Have you spoken to Richard about it?” Leah asked.

“Not yet” Charlie replied. “I didn’t want to talk to him about it today because today’s all about him and Billy, and I don’t want to mess it up. Anyway, his sister Frances will be in town, so Richard’s invited me to dinner in Yabbie Creek with them tonight.”

“Well, OK” Leah replied. “V.J. will be with my parents and Rach’s invited me for dinner tonight, so no one will be here. Just go out and enjoy yourself. But promise me you’ll talk to Richard soon about this.”

“Yeah......you’re right” Charlie smiled.

+++++

5:00PM

“Whoa!” Tony exclaimed. It was the first time that he entered the Gym since the robbery.

“We cleaned it up and got it all in working order, just for you, Dad” Lucas smiled.

“Oh Luc, you didn’t have to do this for me” Tony said. “It’s still your school holidays, and you spent your free time doing this?”

“It’s fine, I wanted to do this” Lucas replied. “After everything you’ve been through Dad, you deserve something good in return, and therefore I restored the Gym for you.”

“Thanks mate” Tony smiled, giving his youngest son a hug.

Meanwhile at the bar...

“Strewth” Alf exclaimed. “So you’re the hero who took care of Tony all those years ago.”

“Well, I wouldn’t call myself a hero” Andrew chuckled. “I just did what I had to do.”

“Are you flamin’ kidding me? Of course you’re a hero” Alf replied. “Gina told me all about you. It’s a great thing that you did for Tony. You gave him a chance for a happy life and he’s got you to thank you for it.”

“I think he’s already thanked me too much” Andrew replied.

“Andrew’s gonna be your new helper, Grandad” Martha announced.

“Sorry?”

“You said that you want some extra hands with setting up here for Belle’s party and Andrew’s agreed to help you with it.”

“Oh” Alf smiled. “Then welcome aboard!”

“Hang on Grandad” Martha interrupted. “That’s not all. Did you know that Andrew also holds a qualification for working in a bar.”

“Really?” Alf replied. “But I thought Gina said that you were running a Children’s centre.”

“Correction, Alf. I was running a Childrens centre” Andrew said. “But I also used to do some shifts from time to time in the background at the local bar in Adelaide, before that one got shut down as well. But nevertheless, I still have the qualifications.”

“Well, well, well” Alf wondered. “I think I might have something more than just a ‘helping hand’ for you available here, if you’re interested. How would you like to work, here at the Surf Club?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Getting Ready)

Tony’s cheerful mood prompts Xavier to dismiss Aden’s warning.

Warren unleashes his fury at Colleen’s obsession with the Jukebox.

Alf and Andrew hastily prepare the Surf Club for Belle’s 20th Birthday.

Next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER 80: GETTING READY

As evening came across Summer Bay, Tony, Martha and Hugo were preparing dinner at the kitchen in the Bachelor Pad whilst Brendan and Xavier were setting up the table.

7:00PM

“Wow, that’s looks great!” Rachel said, looking inside the fridge and admiring the cake that Gina had spent the day preparing.

“You think?” Gina replied. “I hate it.”

“Come on Gina, don’t say that” Rachel spoke. “It’s fine, and it actually looks like a normal birthday cake. Irene and Belle will love it.”

“Let’s hope so” Gina chuckled, closing the fridge door.

As everything was set up, Tony, Rachel, Martha, Lucas, Gina, Hugo, Brendan and Xavier took their seats around the table. Jack entered the front door, exhausted.

“Hey babe, just in time” Martha called out. “We were just gonna start dinner now.”

“Finally!” Jack blew a sigh of relief as he headed towards the table. “I’ve had a hell of a day. Having Watson as the boss for the day is worse than having Charlie as the boss for one week! Gosh, she is so bossy.”

“Got in trouble, mate?” Tony laughed.

“Well, Watson kept blasting me for not finishing the paperwork, but I keep telling her it’s done. Then, she took my coffee away from me because she claimed that one of the other officers took a sip out of hers by mistake.”

“Rough day then?” Martha giggled.

“Yeah” Jack sighed. “But now, I want to just focus on more important things like the lovely food in front of us!”

“Yeah, come on guys, let’s start” Hugo said. Jack looked around and noticed that two people were missing.

“Hey, where’s Andrew and Luc?”

“We left Andrew at the Surf Club to have a nice chat with Grandad” Martha replied. “And Luc’s gone to Nicole’s for pizza.”

“Wow, Luc’s really into her, isn’t he?” Rachel commented.

“Sure is” Tony replied. “I just hope they’re not gonna do anything.................silly.”

“DAD!” Jack exclaimed. “Seriously, you worry too much. I can still remember you keeping a close eye on me when I went out with my first girlfriend.”

“Well, you know...........there has to be certain limits and all”

“Dad, I was 18!” Jack replied. “Don’t worry, Luc will be fine on his own.”

Xavier watched Tony laughing and joking with the others at the table. He then remembered what Aden told him earlier in the day:

“I just want to warn you about something.”

“Like what?”

“I may not know the whole story, but from what I can see, I think your Uncle’s not entirely over the whole incident.”

“But....that can’t be right” Xavier said. “I.....I thought that after he went to Alice Springs and saw his childhood home that it would help him accept what had happened and move on.”

“From what you told me earlier, and from what I’ve seen” Aden replied. “I don’t think Tony’s moved on completely, despite trying to hide it and deny it, like he tried to do with me. I’m just warning you that I think that your Uncle’s just bottling things up. If he doesn’t talk to someone soon, he’s gonna go on some downward spiral, and I’d hate to think at what it could be.”

Xavier looked up again at his uncle and saw him smiling and laughing at a joke that Jack just said. He was confused at what Aden warned him about earlier.

“What on earth are you talking about, Aden?” Xavier thought to himself. “Uncle Tony’s happy and smiling, he’s moved on. He’s not bottling things up, at all. Now that Grandad’s in jail, Uncle Tony won’t have to worry about anything anymore.............no, I’m sure it’s nothing. I’m sure Uncle Tony’s not bottling things up. Thanks for the warning Aden, but my Uncle’s gonna be fine.”

+++++

Two days have passed for the residents of Summer Bay and Yabbie Creek.

Outside the Surf Club, Alf posted a sign near the door, which read the following:

THE SURF CLUB IS CLOSED TODAY, DUE TO A PRIVATE FUNCTION. THE GYM WILL ALSO BE UNAVAILABLE FOR MEMBERS TODAY. THE NEAREST BAR AND GYM IS OPEN AT YABBIE CREEK. WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE.

+++++

At the Diner, Leah and Warren were preparing the menu for Belle’s birthday party. Irene was at the other end of the kitchen, busy cooking for the few customers who came for the breakfast menu. At the counter, Colleen was having a chat with one of the customers - a male, aged in his early 20s.

“Back in my day, this kind of music was heard all over town” Colleen said, whilst her forties music was playing in her jukebox. The man appeared to be disinterested in Colleen’s rambling.

“You know, Frankie Laine, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw.......they were my favourites. I used to play one song from each of them on my little old turntable, just before...........”

“Yeah, whatever” the man replied. “Can I have my takeaway now?”

“OK, OK, keep your hat on!” Colleen replied, handing him the bag. The man hastily walked out of the Diner.

Colleen entered the kitchen.

“I really don’t understand these people nowadays. They really don’t have any appreciation for ‘real’ music.”

“Oh my God!” Warren whispered to Leah. “Colleen and her music. Why is she even playing it on the Jukebox? It’s not even Wednesday!”

“Yeah, I know” Leah sighed. “But it’s the only way to get Colleen to actually work, especially since we’ve got a lot to do today for the party.”

“I doubt she’s even working” Warren rolled his eyes. “She spends more time chatting to the customers about her ridiculous out-of-date music. It’s seriously driving me up the wall!” Warren took his plate and left the kitchen.

+++++

9:00AM

At the Surf Club, Alf and Andrew were having a conversation whilst tidying up and preparing the interior for the party.

“I don’t understand” Alf said. “How did the Children’s centre get shut down?”

“The company had massive debts” Andrew replied. “We were trying our best to keep it running, but it got harder and harder to manage. I had to slowly lay-off the staff one by one in an attempt to save money to pay off the loans we took to keep the place running, but eventually, it wasn’t successful.”

“Strewth, that’s not good!”

“I know” Andrew sighed. “All the parents and kids were disappointed, but there was nothing we could do. Anyway, I was gonna retire soon, so, if there was any good that came out of all this, it’s the fact that I was able to help out the kids for a good 25 years or so.”

“But you lost your home in the process” Alf noted.

“I didn’t exactly lose it” Andrew replied. “I had no choice. I had to pay off the debt. I couldn’t take out any more loans. The house was the only thing left. But in the end, it all worked out well and not only can I take a well earned break, I’m also with Tony and Gina, the only family I’ve got left.”

“At least that’s something” Alf said.

“I suppose.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it. You’re a good man for taking care of Tony, as well as all those kids in the Children’s centre. I’m glad that someone with that great nature like you has come here to stay with us in Summer Bay. If only more people were like you, this town would be even better.”

“Thanks” Andrew smiled.

+++++

Later that morning...

“OK, I’m here” Martha called out as she entered the kitchen in the Diner. “What needs to be done?”

“We need to make three big bowls of salad, as well as get some small snacks, like biscuits and dips” Irene replied.

“OK, I’ll get started on those.”

“Thanks, love” Irene smiled. “By the way, how did Gina go with the cake?”

“All good, despite that she hates her own creation” Martha replied. “I keep telling her not to worry about it. It looks fine. I’m sure Belle would love it.”

“I can’t wait to see it.” Irene replied.

“Trust me, it looks good, despite what Gina says. Anyway, so Belle still doesn’t have a clue about all this?”

“Not at all” Irene replied. “She and Aden are spending the day in the city, so the surprise is still on. Anyway, we need to make this a great party. She needs a bit of cheering up.”

“Why, what’s wrong?” Martha asked.

“Belle got a letter from the Photography program in Amsterdam” Irene explained. “She didn’t get in the Scholarship program.”

“Oh, that must be disappointing.”

“I know, love, but I’m sure that there’s some alternative path. Aden’s doing a bit of research himself for some great Photography programs in the city. Photography’s always been Belle’s passion.”

After having taken a break, Warren entered the Diner to see that there were no customers. He then stared at Colleen’s Jukebox, playing a collection of forties music.

“That damned Jukebox!” Warren said to himself. Rushing over, he pulled the plug from the wall. Colleen came out of the kitchen after hearing the sound was shut off.

“Hey, I was listening to that! That’s MY music!”

“Yeah, well YOUR music drove all our customers out” Warren replied.

“That’s not what Irene and Leah say” Colleen argued. “They said that my Jukebox brought more people here.”

“THEY CAME HERE WHEN NONE OF THAT FORTIES RUBBISH WAS PLAYING!” Warren yelled.

“STOP CALLING MY MUSIC RUBBISH!” Colleen screamed. “Just because your taste of music is the trash nowadays, compared to my lovely music playing in the Jukebox, doesn’t mean.......”

“I DON’T CARE!” Warren screamed. “I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOU STUPID MUSIC IN YOUR STUPID JUKEBOX, OK? IF YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST PLAY IT WHENEVER YOU WANT, SO THAT YOU CAN SCARE THE CUSTOMERS AND SLACK OFF WORK, THEN YOU ARE SURELY MISTAKEN. I WANT YOUR JUKEBOX KEPT OFF FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” Colleen, who was upset at Warren’s yelling, rushed out of the Diner.

Warren made his way into the kitchen.

“Warren, did you really have to be so hard on Colleen?” Leah asked.

“Well, someone had to say something” Warren replied. “Look out there, all the customers are gone! I promised you all when I joined you that I would do all I can to make this the best Diner in the area. But it’s people like Colleen who bring things in, like her stupid Jukebox to ruin our chance of success.”

“Come on, love” Irene replied. “I know it’s not the best idea, but at least Colleen did what she thought was good to bring more customers here.”

“Well, it turned out that it drove more people away” Warren replied. “Anyway, are you all OK on your own with the food for tonight?”

“Wait, you’re not coming tonight?” Martha asked.

“I can’t unfortunately” Warren replied. “Richard’s dropping off Billy at my apartment tonight. I promised him that I’ll babysit Billy while he and Charlie will be at your party.”

“I see” Irene replied. “Well, have fun.”

“I will. Bye”

+++++

Back at the Surf Club...

“Where does this table go?” Andrew asked. He and Alf grabbed each end of the table.

“I think we’ll put this one in the middle of the room” Alf replied. “Irene wants the centre space for all the food, and the bar is where all the drinks will go.”

“OK, fair enough” Andrew said.

After moving the tables around, Andrew took a seat on a chair nearby.

“Well, this all looks good. Anything else we need to do?”

“Let’s see” Alf said, taking out a piece of paper from his pocket. “These are Irene’s instructions. OK, we’ve done that.......and that. The rest of the things we need to do is set up the lounge area, put up the lights, set up the posters, blow up the balloons, mop the floor, vacuum the carpet and set up all the side tables.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“I wish I was, mate” Alf chuckled. “It’s Irene orders. She is organising the party after all.”

“Oh well” Andrew sighed. “I suppose I might get started with the lights.”

“The ladder and the lights are in the cupboard” Alf said. “Oh, and you might want this as well.” Alf handed a piece of paper with some diagrams drawn on it.

“So Irene’s also drawn a picture of what and where to put the lights” Andrew exclaimed. “OK, this isn’t gonna be so easy after all!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Birthday Surprise)

Belle’s 20th Birthday celebrations end in tragedy when someone is shot. Who is it, and why?

CHAPTER 81: BIRTHDAY SURPRISE

5:30PM

“OK Billy, be good for Uncle Warren” Richard said. “Daddy will pick you up later tonight.”

“OK” Billy replied.

“Buddies?” Richard smiled.

“Buddies!” Billy replied, giving his Dad a big hug.

Richard turned to his brother.

“Thanks for looking after him tonight.

“No worries” Warren replied. “Just as long as you and Charlie have a good time tonight.”

“We will” Richard said. “I’ll be back here around 9:30 to pick up Billy.”

“No rush, just have fun” Warren responded. “Billy will probably be sound asleep by then.”

“Alright then. Anyway, I have to go and pick up Charlie, so I’ll see you later.”

“OK then. Bye.”

Meanwhile at Leah’s house, Leah and Charlie were having a discussion.

“Don’t tell me that you haven’t spoken to Richard yet?”

“No.....I haven’t” Charlie sighed. “I know that I should, but I mean, the Dinner we had the other night in the city was about Billy being with Richard, as well as meeting his aunt Frances for the first time. I didn’t want to ruin their Dinner by bringing up my problems.”

“Well, I suppose that’s fair enough” Leah replied. “Are you gonna speak to him tonight.”

“I don’t know, Charlie replied. “It’s Belle’s party, we’re supposed to be having fun.”

“But you have to tell him sometime soon” Leah said. “If you think the relationship’s going too fast because of Billy, you need to tell him.”

“Yeah.......I know you’re right Leah. Anyway, I better get changed. Richard will be here soon to pick me up.”

“OK, well I better head to the Surf Club and help set up the Food. I’ll see you there.”

“OK” Charlie smiled.

+++++

6:00PM

At the Surf Club, Tony, Rachel, Gina, Hugo, Xavier and Brendan had already arrived for the party. Tony and Rachel took a seat at the lounge, whilst Hugo, Xavier and Brendan sat at a nearby table, playing cards. Colleen, Leah and Martha were setting up the food that they had brought from the Diner.

Irene was having a look around at the decorations and the setup of the Club in which Alf and Andrew spent the whole day working on.

“You guys did a great job” Irene smiled. “The balloons were blown up to the right size and the lights were set up exactly the way I wanted it.”

“Because there wasn’t any other way to set it up” Andrew whispered to Alf.

“So when does Belle get here?” Alf asked

“Aden just called me and they just got on the train out of the city” Irene replied. “They’ll be here in about an hour, and I’m guessing that everyone else will be here before then.”

“I see” Alf understood.

Irene then made her way over to the Bar where Gina had placed the cake.

“So this must be the cake?”

“Yes, it is” Gina sighed. She was nervous at what Irene would say once she opened the box.

“OK, let’s have a look” Irene said.

“Please say you like it, please say you like it” Gina said to herself. Irene opened the box.

“Wow.......er..Gina” Irene exclaimed. “This.......this...........is shocking!”

“Oh my God, it’s bad, isn’t it?”

“Not at all” Irene smiled. “I’m shocked, because this is perhaps the best decorated cake I’ve ever seen!”

“What, really?” Gina said in disbelief.

“Yes, love. This is fantastic, and I know Belle will love this!”

“Well that’s a relief” Gina chuckled. “But it’s not over yet. No one’s tasted it yet.”

“To be honest, love. If a cake looks as fantastic as this, it’s gotta taste good.” Irene smiled.

“Wow.....er..........thanks. That just made my day” Gina laughed. “As long as the birthday girl likes my cake, then I’ll be happy.”

“Did I just hear the word ‘cake?” a man whispered from behind. Gina turned around and saw that the man was no other than her ex-husband, Jeremy.

At the Lounge area nearby, Tony looked up and noticed him.

“Well, will you look at that! Jeremy Austin’s finally here!” Tony whispered to Rachel. Getting up from his seat, Tony was stopped when Rachel grabbed onto his arm.

“Tony, what are you doing?”

“I’m going to have a nice little chat with our good friend, Mr. Austin.” Rachel looked on cautiously as Tony headed towards them.

“Jeremy!” Gina exclaimed, giving him a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“I heard about this party, it’s the talk of the town!” Jeremy replied. “I guessed that I’d find you here, and I was right!”

“No, I meant, what are you doing in Summer Bay?” Gina asked. “Is the work with the police done?”

“It’s finished” Jeremy smiled. “My work with the cops is done. Nate’s charged Dawson with theft, fraud and a lot of things. Now we can finally move on and start fresh with us and the boys, like I promised.”

“Jeremy Austin!” Tony exclaimed.

“Well, if it isn’t Tony Holden!” Jeremy chuckled. “I haven’t seen you in ages!”

“What, so I was invisible while you were at my Mum’s funeral, was I?” Tony asked, clearly unimpressed with the man.

“I.......I didn’t mean that. I meant it’s been a long time since my family lived with your family, back in Broken Hill.” Sensing the growing awkwardness between her brother and ex-husband, Gina decided to interrupt the topic.

“I’ll just find the boys and let them know you’re here” Gina said. “They’ll be happy to see you.”

“Tell the boys that their father will be with them in a minute” Tony replied. “First, I just want to have a nice, friendly one-on-one chat with Jeremy.”

“er.......sure.”

“Come this way.” Taking out the keys from his pocket, Tony opened the door to the Gym and entered inside, with Jeremy following behind him.

Placing the keys back in his pocket, Tony turned around to face Jeremy.

“Close the door” Tony ordered. Jeremy turned around to close the door behind him. Tony then suddenly grabbed hold of Jeremy’s shirt and pushed him violently against the wall.

“TONY!” Jeremy exclaimed. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

“Scared, Jeremy?” Tony growled, staring furiously at his former brother-in-law.

“Very much so” Jeremy quivered, seeing the evil look on Tony’s face. Tony then suddenly burst out laughing.

“Don’t worry, mate. I wasn’t gonna give you a beating or anything.” Tony slowly released Jeremy from his grip.

“Well” Jeremy chuckled. “You......you certainly gave me a fright.” Tony suddenly wiped the smile off his face.

“OK, let’s cut to the chase and set a ground rule. I love Gina with all my heart, and I would do anything to make my big sister happy. If getting back to you makes her happy, then so be it. But be warned, Jeremy – if you ever pull a stunt to hurt her again, no matter what circumstance it may be, I will be here, ready to come down on you in ways that are much worse than a ton of bricks. You understand?”

“Tony, I never meant..........”

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” Tony growled, staring directly at him.

“er......yes. Yes I do.”

“Good, I’m glad that’s settled” Tony smiled.

+++++

6:59PM

Everyone else had arrived at the Surf Club. Irene, who was having a conversation with Rachel was interrupted when her mobile phone rang.

“Hello?..............Aden, where are you?..............OK.”

“OK EVERYONE, THEY’LL BE HERE IN ONE MINUTE. TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!” Irene called out. Everyone took their positions as Alf turned off the lights.

Xavier squatted down on the ground next to Brendan.

“Bandicoot, do you remember what I said earlier?” Xavier asked. Brendan nodded.

“Brendan has to be quiet. It’s a surprise” Brendan whispered.

“That’s right” Xavier smiled. “They’ll be here any minute.”

A few moments later, Aden and Belle arrived at the doorstep.

“Come on Aden, tell me. Why are we here?”

“You’ll soon find out” Aden replied.

“But why can’t you.......hang on, why are the lights off?” Belle wondered. Suddenly, the lights went on.

“SURPRISE!” Everyone screamed. Belle let out a small scream.

“Oh my God........what on earth?”

“Happy Birthday, Belle!” Irene smiled, giving her a big hug.

“Wow.........you went through all this trouble for me?” Belle asked, stunned as she looked around at the heavily decorated interior.

“Well, we wanted to surprise you.”

“And you did indeed. Thank you Irene!” Belle smiled, giving her another hug.

+++++

7:30PM

As the party continued, Lucas and Nicole sat on the lounge.

“So........is everything OK between us?” Lucas asked.

“Of course it is” Nicole smiled. Looking up, they noticed Annie, Jai and Ruby heading towards them.

“Hey guys” Ruby smiled. “What you been up to?”

“Not much” Lucas replied. “Anyway, shouldn’t you be off bugging your boyfriend, instead of me for a change?”

“Well, I can’t” Ruby replied, pointing at Xavier. Xavier, along with his brothers were seated at a nearby table with Gina and Jeremy.

“And” Ruby continued. “Because I don’t want to interrupt Xavier’s family’s catch-up time with his father, I’m going to annoy you two instead. So, what else have you two been up to?”

“er.....excuse me?” Lucas asked, confused.

“Come on, we heard about your pizza and movie marathon from the other night. We want to know all about it.”

“What’s there to say?” Lucas said. “Nic and I had Pizza, we watched a movie. That’s it.”

“THAT’S IT?” Ruby exclaimed. She then turned over to face Nicole. “NICOLE FRANKLIN! PLEASE TELL ME THAT THERE WAS MORE TO THAT NIGHT THAN PIZZA AND A MOVIE?”

“What do you mean?” Nicole asked.

“I mean, you two had Pizza, and you were watching a movie – and you were both alone, repeat, ALONE. I mean, that’s the perfect setting for “The Moment!”

“What the hell is “The Moment?” Lucas asked.

“Tell them, Annie.”

“The Moment” is the time when you two are supposed to share a meaningful first kiss.” Annie explained.

“Eww, gross!” Lucas replied.

“Come on, it’s not that bad” Jai chuckled. “I can still remember when Annie and I had our first “moment”, and......”

“OK, we don’t need details, Jai!” Lucas interrupted.

“Aww, poor Luc” Ruby teased. “Don’t worry, Jai. Luc’s just jealous because he’s still a shy little boy with no experience of romance!”

“Come on Ruby, don’t tease Luc” Nicole said. “Don’t worry, Luc. We’ll have our own “moment” sooner or later.”

“er........OK I’m gonna need a drink!” Lucas said, heading towards the bar.

+++++

At a nearby table, Aden and Belle were having a chat with Irene, Leah, Colleen and Rachel.

“You guys climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge?” Rachel exclaimed.

“We did” Belle replied. “Poor Aden had to work his butt off to pay for the tickets, though.”

“I didn’t tell Belle this at first” Aden explained. “But I took on extra shifts at the Chocolate Shop in Yabbie Creek without her knowing, and I saved just enough money to buy us the tickets for the climb. I then got the tickets and hid it under the bed, before we left for Amsterdam. I knew that we would be back here in time for Belle’s birthday, so I wanted to take her out to the Bridge today.”

“Aww, that’s so Romantic!” Leah giggled.

“Yeah, you’re lucky that Ruby didn’t find your hidden tickets” Irene said. “Hiding it under the bed for six months doesn’t sound like a good hiding spot to me!”

“Oh well, at least no one noticed my surprise in the end” Aden laughed. Rachel noticed Leah looking away.

“Something wrong, Leah?”

“Oh, it’s just Hugo keeps staring at me” Leah chuckled.

“Maybe it’s because you look absolutely stunning tonight” Belle smiled.

“Or perhaps it’s because Leah has a crush on him” Colleen squealed.

“COLLEEN!” Leah exclaimed.

“Ooh, what’s this I hear, Leah?” Rachel teased. “Is there something going on between you and Hugo?”

“It’s nothing” Leah replied.

“Doesn’t look like nothing to me” Colleen giggled.

“Oh my God, Colleen!” Leah whispered, burying her head in her hands in embarrassment.”

+++++

Jack, Charlie and Richard stood around the Pool Table, playing a game. Jack had his turn, but failed to sink a ball.

“It’s like the ball is rigged or something!” Jack rolled his eyes.

“Hey, stop complaining!” Richard replied. “You think I’m enjoying the fact that Charlie is beating the pair of us?”

”Haha” Charlie giggled. “Beaten by a girl!”

“Anyway, I’m just gonna grab another Beer. Anyone want another one?”

“Not for me, thanks” Richard replied.

“Same here” Charlie said.

As Jack left the Pool table area, Charlie spoke to Richard. Remembering what Leah said to her about telling Richard about her feelings, Charlie decided that she needed to tell him now, rather than later.

"Hey Richard, let's sit down and take a break. I want to discuss something with you." At that moment, Richard's mobile phone rang.

"Sorry Charlie, can I take this call first?"

"Sure" Charlie replied. Taking the phone out of his pocket, Richard answered the call.

“Hello?.............Hang on, I can't hear you. It’s a bit loud in here. One moment.”

“Charlie, I’ll just be outside.”

“OK, don’t be long” Charlie replied, looking over at the Bar. “It looks like Irene’s gonna serve the cake soon.”

“If I’m not back in time, save me a slice.” Richard smiled. He headed out of the Surf Club.

+++++

“Can I have everyone’s attention, please” Alf called out. “Thank you. I would like to pass this on to Irene Roberts, who has something to say.” Irene stood behind the counter next to Alf and faced the audience.

“Firstly, I’d like to say thank you all for coming, and also, thanks to Alf Stewart and Andrew Holden for preparing the Surf Club, as well as Leah, Colleen and Martha, along with Warren who couldn’t be here tonight, who helped me with the food, and also, many thanks to Gina Austin, who went through all the trouble to prepare the beautiful birthday cake which we're about to serve."

"See, It's not so bad after all" Martha whispered to Gina."

"I would like to ask all of you to raise your glasses.” Irene said. Everyone took their glasses and raised it up.

“To Belle Taylor” Irene continued. “May you have a wonderful 20th birthday, and one to remember for the rest of your life.”

“To Belle Taylor!” Everyone cheered.

“Speech” Aden yelled out. His comment causing widespread laughter around the room.

“Yeah Belle, come on. Speech” Ruby yelled.

“OK, OK” Belle laughed. “OK, er........I.......I want to start by thanking you all for being here. It’s a surprise you’ve all given me. It’s wonderful to be back after six months in Amsterdam, and I’m glad to be spending my 20th with.......”

BANG!

Everyone jumped up in shock.

“What was that?” Rachel said.

“Sounded like a gunshot” Jai commented. “It came from outside.” Everyone then suddenly heard a car screeching away loudly.

“That sounded like a car” Irene noted.

“Everyone stay here” Charlie ordered. “We’ll check it out.” She and Jack got up and made their way outside.

“Oh My God! We’re under attack!” Colleen squealed.

“Steady on, woman” Alf rolled his eyes.

Outside the Surf Club, Jack and Charlie looked around.

“Can you see anyone?” Jack asked. Charlie shook her head.

“Nope, no one. I’m sure it was a gunshot. Be careful, Jack.” Walking around the corner, they stopped dead in their tracks when they saw a man lying unconscious, face down on the ground with a bullet wound on his back.

“Oh my God!” Charlie gasped. Jack and Charlie raced over to the man and rolled him around. Jack and Charlie suddenly gasped in shock when they saw the man’s face.

“OH MY GOD............RICHARD!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER: (Title: Left For Dead)

Julie and Dr. Winston work desperately to save Richard’s life.

Warren and Billy are placed in great danger. Can Jack and Watson save them and catch the suspect?

Archived