My Life Lies In The Past

Guest blizzard18

CHAPTER WARNING: (Medium level of) violence present in this chapter. (Although I rated this fic as 'T/A', this chapter may possibly be more suited for an 'A' audience, just to be on the safe side.)

CHAPTER 32: THREATS

Leah, Roman and Irene had arrived at the Holden House. Roman stayed in the Living room with Jack, Hugo and Xavier whilst the ladies headed to the bedroom. Upon entering, they saw Rachel and Martha sitting on the edge of the bed. Rachel was distraught and visibly upset, whilst Martha comforted her.

Irene and Leah sat down with them,

“Oh love, I’m so sorry.” Irene said. Rachel held onto her hand.

“I just want him to be here, with me” Rachel sobbed.

“Of course you do, love. On the way here, we came across four police cars patrolling the area.” Irene replied. “They will find Tony, and he’ll be back in no time.”

“But what if they don’t find him?” Rachel began to panic.

“Rach, don’t think like that!” Leah spoke. Rachel was now in hysterics and stared straight at her friend.

“BUT I CAN’T HELP THINKING ABOUT IT!” Rachel replied. “What if they don’t find him? Kent will take him far away and I’ll never see him again! How am I meant to cope without him? How will I raise his child without him!” Rachel stopped as emotion came over her. Leah leaned forward, outstretching her arms and giving Rachel a hug.

Meanwhile in the living room, Hugo and Xavier were still seated on the couch. Jack and Roman sat at the Dining Table.

“How’s Luc taking the news?” Roman asked.

“Terribly” Jack replied. “He lashed out his anger at Hugo and stormed out. I suppose he went home to calm down.” Jack took out his wallet and opened it. On the inside cover, there was a photo of him and Lucas with Tony. Roman watched as Jack began to cry.

“Oh Dad! Where are you?” Jack sobbed. Roman placed a hand on his shoulder and stared at the photo. Roman couldn’t help but shed a tear himself. Like everyone else, he was afraid at the possibility that his good friend may never be found.

+++++

“ARE YOU GOING TO BE A GOOD BOY? OR DO I NEED TO STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT AGAIN? Kent yelled furiously at his son. Tony was still dazed after the punch, which left him with a bleeding nose, dripping slowly and staining his white shirt.

Noticing the old petrol can on the ground, Kent picked it up. Sensing that the can was still full of fuel, he opened the lid and began to spill it at the front of the room.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” Tony yelled. Kent placed the can back down and pulled out a box of matches from his pocket.

You see this? You see what I’m holding?” Kent said. “I will make one thing very clear to you, son. You are going to shut up, and listen to every word I say! I raised you up correctly. Your mother didn’t. She turned against me in everything I did for you, but now she’s DEAD. You may think she’s alive, but she’s not. She’s DEAD, you understand? And if you DARE turn against me again, I will set this place on fire, and you’ll be with your mother in no time!”

Tony gashed his teeth in anger as he stared at his father right in the eyes.

+++++

11:15PM

Richard was on patrol. After he left Jack and the others at the Holden house, he decided to do his own search for Tony. It was just by chance that the road he selected was the one leading towards the warehouse.

Richard pulled up his car after he noticed another car parked not too far away. Looking ahead, he noticed that the car matched the description given at the station. It was a green BMW.

“Bingo!” Richard said to himself. Turning off the headlights in order to keep himself hidden, Richard took out his mobile and phoned Charlie.

“Charlie Buckton Speaking”

“Charlie, it’s Richard.” Richard spoke. “Listen, I think I know where Kent and Tony are. I just saw a green BMW parked not too far from where I am. It might be them!”

“Where are you?” Charlie asked.

“I’m on Mills Road, about 100 metres from the old warehouse on the outskirts of Yabbie Creek. They could be inside.

“Is there anyone with you?”

“No, just me” Richard replied.

“OK listen very carefully. DO NOT go anywhere, or attempt to go in the warehouse. Kent may be armed. Wait until the other officers and I get there. I’m going to radio them. Do you understand? It’s an order!”

+++++

Back at the Holden house, Irene, Leah and Martha took Rachel out into the Living room. Rachel sat down on the armchair opposite Hugo and Xavier.

“I’ll go get you a glass of water” Leah said, heading to the kitchen.

Roman and Jack were still at the Dining table, comforting each other when suddenly the phone rang. Taking out his mobile, Jack saw Charlie’s name light up on the screen.

“Charlie, any news?...........................what? where?.......................I’m coming…………………NO LISTEN, HE’S MY DAD, AND I WILL BE THERE. I WANT TO SEE HIM…………..I DON’T CARE, I’M GOING, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, I……………………hello?” Jack hung up the phone in frustration.

“What’s up? Did they find him? Martha asked. Jack blew a sigh of relief.

“I think we’ve found Dad” Jack replied. Everyone, especially Rachel and Hugo were overjoyed after hearing the news.

“Well what are we waiting for? Let’s bring back Tony!” Rachel exclaimed.

“Charlie ordered us not to” Jack replied. “She said it’s due to family connections. She doesn’t want anyone of us involved.” Rachel got up in anger.

“Who cares what Charlie says, we should be out there, bringing your father back!” Rachel yelled.

“Well you know what, you’re right!” Jack replied. “I’m bringing Dad back!”

“I’m coming” Rachel shouted. Irene and Leah stopped her.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, love.” Irene said. “Let’s just leave the police to do their job.”

“NO!” Rachel yelled. “Tony’s out there and we have to get him back. I don’t care what Charlie says, I’m going.”

“Me too” Roman and Hugo replied.

“I can’t take all of you” Jack said.

Irene sighed. “OK then, what about if you all come in my car and we’ll follow Jack. Will you be happy with that?”

“OK. All of you go with Irene. I’ll go with Jack” Roman said.

“I’ll go with Jack too” Martha answered. All of them rushed out and began to drive off. Jack led the way, followed closely be Irene’s car.

+++++

11:27PM

Twelve minutes had passed since Richard phoned Charlie. Richard had continued to keep watch outside the warehouse. Suddenly, Richard saw a bright light coming from the side. The bright light had grown bigger into a flame – the warehouse was slowly catching fire.

Richard grabbed his mobile and rang the fire brigade. At that moment, Charlie and a few other officers pulled up behind.

+++++

”I’m sorry, son, but you left me with no choice!” Kent scowled at his father. Tony watched in horror as the flames ignite from the petrol, spreading quickly around the sides of the shed.

“YOU CHOSE TO TURN AGAINST ME, JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER.” Kent yelled “NOW IT’S TOO LATE. GOODBYE SON!”

“NO……….NO!!!!!” Tony yelled. Kent ran to the back door of the warehouse and fled. Tony was now desperate more than ever to free himself.

“HELP……..HELP!!!!!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Fire!)

Will Tony make it out of the burning warehouse alive?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments :) Here is the next chapter :wink:

CHAPTER WARNING: (Small amount of) Violence present in this chapter.

CHAPTER 33: FIRE!

11:35PM

Jack, Martha and Roman, followed by Irene, Hugo, Xavier, Leah and Rachel arrived outside the warehouse. All were in shock as they saw the flames.

“NO!!!!! OH MY GOD….TONY!!” Rachel screamed. Pulling herself hastily out of the car, Rachel was stopped by Leah.

“NO RACHEL” Leah screamed. “IT’S TOO DANGEROUS!”

Meanwhile, Jack and Roman got out of the police car and rushed towards Charlie and Richard.

“JACK!” Charlie exclaimed. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” Jack interrupted her.

“WHERE IS HE? WHERE’S DAD?” Jack shouted.

“We can’t do anything, it’s too dangerous. The fire brigade are on their way” Charlie replied. They all saw the fire escalate to the roof of the warehouse. Clouds of black smoke billowed above.

Jack then noticed a dark figure standing a fair distance away, almost hiding from behind a tree. Looking closely, Jack suddenly realised that it was Kent.

“YOU!” Jack muttered to himself in anger. He ran towards him. Roman, Charlie and Richard also saw Kent and ran behind Jack.

+++++

Tony was now struggling continuously to free himself. Sweat poured heavily on his face from the intensity of the heat. The fire had now spread almost everywhere and the smoke began to pile up inside, making it harder to breathe.

After all the struggling, Tony noticed that the knot on the rope suddenly gave way. Managing to free his left arm, Tony pulled out the knot that tied his right arm, then untied the rope wrapped around his legs. Tony got up and scrambled around to find the way out.

“HELP!!..............HELP ME!!” Tony yelled whilst struggling to find the exit. The smoke inside was now stronger than ever. Feeling weak and unable to breathe, Tony passed out on the ground.

+++++

“LET ME GO! I HAVE TO FIND HIM!” Rachel screamed. Xavier, Martha and Leah desperately held on to her while Irene and Hugo watched in horror as the warehouse was burning.

“Please Tony, please don’t be in there!” Irene muttered to herself, her arms wrapped around Hugo, who was in tears.

The sound of sirens deafened the area. Two firefighter trucks arrived at the scene

“PLEASE HURRY!” Irene yelled.

+++++

Catching up to Kent, Jack pinned him down to the ground while Charlie, Richard and Roman caught up behind. Roman helped Jack pin him down whilst Richard grabbed Kent’s arms and Charlie handcuffed his hands. Roman looked up in horror as he saw Jack pull out his gun and pointed it right to Kent’s head.

“NO JACK! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Roman yelled.

“WHERE IS HE?” Jack yelled. Kent just laughed. Jack grabbed onto his grandfather’s shirt collar.

“YOU BETTER TELL ME WHERE MY DAD IS, OR I WILL SHOOT, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!” Jack screamed. “WHERE IS HE!”

Kent chuckled. “It’s too late. He chose to disobey me. He’ll never make it out alive!” Jack watched in horror at the burning warehouse. Leaving Kent with the others, he got up and ran towards the doors.

“JACK, NO! IT’S TOO DANGEROUS. COME BACK!” Charlie yelled. Jack ignored them as he kept on running.

Inside, amidst the intensity of the flames and smoke, Jack was desperately searching for his father.

“DAD!” Jack yelled. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a tissue and covered up his mouth as the smoke began to burn up in his throat. Jack then saw something up ahead.

“DAD!” Jack yelled as he saw Tony unconscious on the floor. Jack grabbed onto his father and struggled to lift him. Finally managing somehow to carry him on his back, Jack quickly raced out of the warehouse. As they went out, there was a massive crash behind them – the roof had collapsed inside.

Seeing Jack carrying his father, Roman ran over towards him. Both he and Jack grabbed onto Tony and laid him in a grassed area not far from the road.

“DAD, PLEASE WAKE UP!” Jack yelled. He shook his father, but didn’t respond.

“DAD, PLEASE. DON’T LEAVE ME!”

Rachel, followed by Martha, Irene, Hugo, Xavier and Leah rushed over to Tony’s side. Rachel crouched down in tears and began to shake Tony.

“COME ON, TONY. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE ME!” Rachel shouted. Grabbing his hand, Rachel squeezed it gently.

“WAKE UP. PLEASE WAKE UP!”

Tony slowly began to regain consciousness and opened his eyes.

“DAD, CAN YOU HEAR ME?” Jack said.

“THANK GOD YOU’RE AWAKE!” Roman spoke. Tony slowly turned his head to see Rachel.

“Rach”

“Tony!” Rachel smiled. “Thank God you’re alright!”

“What……….happened” Tony asked, gasping for air in between.

“Don’t worry, it’s gonna be alright. It’s over now, you’re safe with us.” Rachel replied. “I love you.”

Tony gave a weak smile. “I love you too.” Suddenly his eyes began to close. Rachel felt the grip of his hand loosen from hers.

“Tony?” Rachel called out.

“DAD?……OH MY GOD, DAD!” Jack shouted, shaking his father. “CAN YOU HEAR ME?” Tony was once again unresponsive.

“NO TONY, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE ME, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” Rachel shook her fiancé. “WAKE UP RIGHT NOW! COME ON, STAY WITH ME!” Tony did not move. Rachel was now panicking.

“WAKE UP, PLEASE WAKE UP!!” Rachel yelled.

“WE NEED AN AMBULANCE!” Jack yelled. Everyone watched in horror as they tried desperately to revive him.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Hoping and Praying)

Julie delivers bad news.

Despite Xavier’s comments, Hugo is consumed by guilt.

CHAPTER 34: HOPING AND PRAYING

12:00AM

Rachel, Leah, Martha, Roman, Hugo and Xavier gathered around in the corridor outside Tony’s hospital room. Jack walked in towards them.

“I just called Alf and Colleen, they’re on their way.” Jack replied. “Also, Irene’s gone to pick up Luc and Ruby heard about this and she’ll be coming also.”

“What about Gina? She has to know about this.” Rachel spoke out.

“She knows, and she said she will be on the next flight back from Alice Springs.” Jack replied. Nurse Julie came out of Tony’s room. Everyone stood up.

“What’s going on?” Jack asked.

“I’m afraid there’s some bad news.” Julie grimly replied.

“What news?” Jack demanded. Julie sighed as she saw the tears beginning to form in his eyes.

“Your Dad’s inhaled a lot of smoke, which caused him to pass out.” Julie replied. “At the moment, we have him hooked up to a life support machine and we have done some tests to examine any damage in his respiratory system.”

“So what did the tests say?” Hugo asked.

“The tests revealed that he has damage in the upper airway, which is causing extreme difficulty in breathing.”

“But he’s gonna be alright? He has to be, right?” Roman asked.

Julie sighed. “I’m afraid the damage has left Tony unable to breathe properly on his own. And, given all the stress and the recent heart attack, his body is completely exhausted to go on.”

“So what are you saying?” Jack cried.

“Unfortunately, there is a possibility that Tony won’t survive the night. I’m very sorry.”

Hearing the news, Jack crouched down on the ground and buried his head in his hands in grief. Rachel was in hysterics whilst Leah and Martha did all they can to calm her down. Xavier and Roman held onto Hugo as he collapsed on the ground.

“NO!! THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!!” Hugo cried. “THIS IS ALL MY FAULT!!”

+++++

An hour had passed.

1:00AM

Everyone remained in the corridor, all in silence. Alf and Colleen held a silent vigil to themselves, praying for the slight chance that Tony will survive. Holding on to her tummy, Rachel was sobbing on Leah’s shoulders, Leah herself was in shock and disbelief. Jack, Martha and Lucas were comforting each other, each of them distraught.

Irene and Roman kept watch at the window. They saw Tony, lying on the bed. His nose and mouth were fixed with an oxygen mask. Tubes were placed all around him and were connected to the Life Support Machine. A monitor screen glowed next to him, keeping track of his heart rhythm and beeping at every heartbeat. Nurse Julie was inside, standing at the opposite end, keeping observation and writing notes on the clipboard.

“Look at him, so peaceful.” Roman sighed.

“I know, love” Irene replied.

“I just wish I could take all the pain away from him. I feel so useless.” Roman began to cry.

Irene hugged him. Roman began to feel reality sink right into him.

“I’m sorry Irene, its just…………He’s my friend. He can’t die!”

“I know” Irene sighed. “He’s not only your friend, but a friend to all of us, to Summer Bay.”

Hugo, Xavier and Ruby sat a fair distance away from everyone else. Hugo watched Lucas sobbing. He could see the pain that he was experiencing.

“I just can’t believe this is happening. It’s all my fault.” Hugo cried. Xavier did his best to console his big brother.

“Please stop blaming yourself. It’s not your fault.” Xavier replied. Hugo turned swiftly at his brother.

“LOOK AT HIM! He still hates me for what happened. He and Jack have already gone through enough when Aunt Kate died. If Uncle Tony dies, it will be history repeating itself for them, it’s just that this time, the incident was caused by me. How am I going to live with myself, knowing I was the cause for all this?” Hugo got up and began to walk away.

“Where are you going?” Xavier asked.

“I need to be alone.”

+++++

Everyone looked up as they saw Julie exit the room.

“I’m sorry, there’s been no change, and I don’t know if there will be” Julie said. “In case something goes wrong, perhaps now is the time to say your goodbyes.”

“Oh my God!” Rachel sobbed. “He can’t die……….he……….he just cant!”

“I’ll leave you guys to it. I’m so sorry, I can’t really say anything else” Julie said as she walked away.

At that moment, Charlie arrived. Jack came up towards her.

“How’s Tony doing?” She asked.

Jack was still in tears. “Dad’s not OK. It’s terrible. Julie just gave us some bad news.”

“What news, what did Julie say?” Charlie was now worried.

“She said that Dad may not make it overnight.” Jack cried. Charlie was in shock.

“Oh my God!” Charlie gasped. “I just can’t believe it. It’s just…………I’m…………I’m so sorry Jack.”

Jack took a moment to calm himself. “Where’s Kent?”

“Richard and Watson have transported him to a high security jail just outside the city. He’s already been charged with the assault and attempted murder of your grandmother, and now with kidnapping and attempted murder of your father.”

“Soon, the charge will be upgraded from attempted murder to JUST murder.” Jack replied.

“Don’t think like that.” Charlie said.

“I can’t help but think that, you know? Kent was the reason this all happened! He’s the reason that Dad’s lying in there, and if Dad doesn’t make it overnight, then God help me, I will not be responsible for my actions!”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Goodbye)

Everyone gathers around to say goodbye to Tony. Is he really gone forever?

Hugo leaves a letter for Brendan.

A ghost from the past appears. Who can it be?

CHAPTER NOTE: Dream sequence present in this chapter are highlighted in GREEN.

CHAPTER 35: GOODBYE

At the opposite end of the hospital, Hugo sat down in Brendan’s room. He watched silently as his brother was asleep.

Writing a letter on a piece of paper, Hugo folded it and placed it on the table next to him. He stood up and looked at his brother once more. Tears flowed down his cheeks.

“Bye Brendan. I’ll miss you.” Hugo said. He then walked out of the room, silently closing the door behind him.

+++++

One by one, they entered Tony’s room to say their final goodbyes. First were Alf and Colleen.

“It saddens me to see you like this. You’ve been like a son to me, ever since you and Jack and Lucas first came here” Alf spoke to Tony, who was extremely weak and unable to move.

“I just wish that it wasn’t you in here. It’s just so heartbreaking” Colleen said, her voice trembling. Alf placed his hand on Tony’s shoulder, whilst Colleen held his hand.

“At least now, you’ll be able to find rest and happiness again with Kate and Beth.” Alf sighed. “Say hello to Flynn for me.”

Next to enter the room was Charlie. Charlie was visibly upset as she held onto Tony’s hand.

“It’s just unbelievable, It’s........” Charlie paused. “It’s my fault. I should have known that Kent was out there again. I should have been the one responsible to protect you. You shouldn’t be here. Don’t worry Tony, I’ll make sure your father will face justice to the full extent of the law. That’s a promise.”

Xavier followed after Charlie.

“Please, Uncle Tony, wake up! There’s still a chance to come out of this alive. We need you, everyone needs you, but especially Hugo. He blames himself for what happened to you. Please don’t die Uncle Tony, please.”

Martha, Leah, Roman and Irene were next. Roman knelt down beside the bed whilst the others stood behind him.

“You are a good friend to me, and it tears me up inside hearing that you may not live to continue to be my friend” Roman was now crying. “I’m so sorry you had to suffer like this, it’s just unbelievable, it’s unfair, it’s just.........” Roman was unable to continue as emotion had overcome him.

“I’m sorry, I can’t” Roman cried as he rushed out of the room. Irene followed him in an attempt to comfort him.

Martha sat down beside Tony and grabbed his hand.

“Tony, I am so grateful and blessed to have met a man as wonderful as you, who has put others first before himself and raised up a son who is charming and a beautiful husband to me. I will miss you so much if you leave us.” Leah was on the other side, gently stroking his hair.

“Rachel is lucky to have you. In fact, Summer Bay is lucky to have you” Leah commented. “You have brought an identity to our town, one that no one else will ever have. You brought happiness to those who needed it and you put the needs of others ahead of your own. It is something that all of us will never forget. Please, please come back to us. We don’t know what to do without you.”

Jack and Lucas held onto each other as they went in. Both boys were distraught and in tears. Lucas saw the many tubes connected between Tony’s face and the machine.

“Why, Dad, Why?” Lucas sobbed. “How am I going to live without you? Please, fight to live. Please come back to us.”

Jack knelt next to his father. “You were strong for us in times of trouble, now you have to be strong for yourself.” Jack cried. “Please Dad, don’t leave us. We need you, we love you.” Jack and Lucas leaned forward and gave Tony a hug.

Last to enter was Rachel. Rachel sat on the chair next to the bed. She reached out her left hand and stroked his hair, while holding firmly onto his hand with her right.

“Why? Why did this happen to you?” Rachel cried. “It breaks my heart that we may never be a family, the family that we always dreamt of. I was so overjoyed when you asked me to marry you, that I never thought that...........that I may lose you so soon. Please wake up. I want to marry you, I want our child to know you, I want us to grow old together. I love you, and I always will, no matter what......”

Rachel was interrupted when a long beep from the Monitor was heard – the screen showed a flat green line. Rachel, Jack and Lucas stood back as Julie and two other doctors rushed in with the defibrillator. From the corridor, everyone rushed over to the window, watching and praying.

Jack, Lucas and Rachel all held onto each other as they watched Julie charge up the machine.

“Clear” Julie said, pressing the electrodes onto Tony’s chest, triggering the electric shock.

“No pulse”

“Charge up to 200.....................Clear” Julie triggered the machine again.

“Still No pulse” the doctor replied.

“NO, this can’t be happening!” Rachel cried.

“Please Dad, stay with us!” Lucas sobbed.

“Charge up to 300.....................Clear”

+++++

Tony was in limbo – a place between life and death. Around him was nothing but darkness.

He felt something like he never felt before. He felt peace and calm surround him. Turning around, he noticed a strange light glowing in the distance.

Tony began to walk towards it, but suddenly he was blocked by a woman who appeared right before him. Standing still in shock, Tony recognised the woman. It was a familiar face, someone he had known. Someone, who was once a big part in his life,

“Beth? Is that really you?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Past or Present)

Tony has to make a decision: Return to Rachel or stay with Beth.

Thanks again (as always) for the comments :) Here is the next chapter. :wink:

CHAPTER NOTE: Dream sequence present in this chapter are highlighted in GREEN

CHAPTER 36: PAST OR PRESENT

“Beth! I can’t believe it’s you.” Tony smiled. Ever since Beth was killed in that car accident a few years ago, Tony had been in a downward spiral. He missed Beth. She meant everything in the world to him. She was his soul mate, the love of his life. She was the one who gave him another chance at happiness, since the death of his first wife, Kate.

“Tony, it’s been a long time.” Beth replied.

“I’ve missed you so much!” Tony said. “You don’t know what it was like to lose you.”

“I missed you too!” Beth replied. Tony had a sad expression on his face.

“What’s wrong?” Beth asked.

“Why did you leave me?” Tony asked. Beth looked down.

“I didn’t want to leave you. It’s just……..it was the wrong place at the wrong time. You have to believe me Tony, I never set out intentionally to hurt you.”

Tony paused. “I know you didn’t. If it wasn’t for that truck driver, you would still be alive.” A tear began to slide down his cheek.

“Don’t blame the truck driver; it was just an unfortunate accident.” Beth replied.

Tony wiped away the tear from his cheek. Looking around, he began to ask questions.

“So why am I here?” Tony was confused. “I’m alive, but you………….you died, Beth. Why can I see you?

“You’re not alive, but you’re not dead either.” Beth replied.

“What are you talking about?” Tony questioned. Beth pointed down at the floor.

“Look down.”

Tony looked down and gasped at what he saw. He saw himself, lying down at the hospital bed. The doctors watched as Nurse Julie operated the defibrillator, trying to revive him.

“So I’m……”

“Hanging in the balance between life and death” Beth finished his sentence.

“So, what happens now?” Tony asked.

“It’s all up to you” Beth replied.

“You mean, I have to choose whether to stay with you, or return down there.”

Beth nodded.

“Well that’s easy to decide then. I’m staying with you.” Tony smiled. Beth stopped him straight away.

“What? What’s the matter?”

“You’re not thinking properly.” Beth replied.

“What? Of course I’m thinking properly, I want to go with you. I want to be with you.” Tony hastily replied.

“But what about Rachel?” Beth asked. Tony stopped suddenly at the thought of Rachel. How can he have easily forgotten about her?

“Rachel………My God, How can I forget?” Tony sat down on the ground. “I suppose it was just the excitement of seeing you that made me forget about everything else.”

Beth sat next to him.

“Tony, you don’t have to hide anything. I know already.” Beth said. Tony looked confused

“Know what?”

“I know about you and Rachel. I know that she’s carrying your child.” Beth replied.

“That’s true.”

He turned to face Beth.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Anything” Beth replied.

“Do you hate me?”

Beth was shocked at what he just asked. “No Tony, don’t ever ask me that! Of course I don’t hate you. How could you say such a thing?” Tony began to cry.

“Look at me! I’ve moved on with Rachel and I’ll be father to her child in a matter of months. I was disloyal to you and your memory. I moved on too quickly.” Beth began to console him.

“Tony it’s OK, I’m not angry that you moved on. I’m just glad that you are happy. You found happiness in Rachel and I’m proud of you. You deserve to be happy.”

“But still, you were once a big part of my life. You helped me find happiness again, since Kate.” Tony explained.

Beth Paused. “Tony I need you to understand something. If you choose to come with me, you’ll find nothing more than peace and rest. But there will be consequences.”

“What consequences?” Tony asked.

“All your loved ones will feel the pain of losing you. Please Tony, think carefully before you make a decision.” Beth replied. “How will Gina cope without her baby brother? What about Jack and Lucas? They’ve already suffered when Kate died; think of the pain they will feel again without you. What about Rachel, and the baby. How will you child feel, growing up without a father?” Tony began to sob uncontrollably. Beth sighed.

“I know this is a hard decision for you to make, but think of what will happen. Rachel and the baby need you now, more than ever. Are you going to turn your back on them?

Tony took some time to let Beth’s words sink into him. Turning to her, he began to speak.

“I’ve made a decision.”

“What have you decided?” Beth asked.

“I’m going back.” Tony replied. “You were right. Everyone in Summer Bay needs me, especially Rachel. I can’t turn my back on them.”

“I thought so. I knew that, deep down; you would make the right choice.” Beth smiled. Standing up, she looked at Tony one more time.

“I’m happy for you that you're with Rachel, but I want you to remember that although you'll spend the rest of your life with her, I will still always love you.” Beth said. Tears flowed rapidly down Tony’s cheeks at the thought that this will be the last time they see each other.

“I know. I love you too.” Tony replied. Beth watched as Tony slowly stood up and headed in the opposite direction…..

+++++

Julie and the other doctors were desperately trying to revive Tony.

“Clear.” Julie pressed the defibrillator again onto Tony’s chest. Suddenly the machine began to beep again.

“We have a pulse.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Missing)

Gina discovers the note in Brendan’s room, while Xavier discovers Hugo has packed up and left the Holden House. Has guilt forced him out of Summer Bay?

CHAPTER 37: MISSING

4:00AM

Everyone was asleep at the hospital corridor, exhausted after the drama that unfolded at the warehouse, as well as seeing their close friend cheating death. Jack and Charlie were the only ones that managed to remain awake, taking turns ordering coffee from the vending machine.

Leah was the only one who left early. She arranged with Colleen, Irene and Roman that she will be the one to open up the Diner in the morning while the others take the morning off.

Rachel lay down on an empty bed in an empty patient's room not too far away. She struggled to get some rest, but she knew that it wouldn’t be good for her or the baby if she didn’t.

Tony was now in the operating theatre. A specialist doctor had arrived and, along with Nurse Julie and a few other doctors, began to investigate the damage in his lungs and airway.

Back in the corridor, Xavier and Ruby were woken up when Gina suddenly ran inside.

“Xavier, what’s going on, where’s Tony?”

“He’s in theatre. They’re operating on his lungs and his airway” Xavier replied. Jack came over towards them.

“Aunt Gina, thank God you’re here” Jack said, giving her a hug.

“I got the first flight out of Alice Springs” Gina replied. “I just can’t believe this is all happening.”

Jack began to cry. “We almost lost Dad tonight, Aunt Gina. I was so scared, I had never been this scared in my whole life.”

“I just never realised that Dad could do such a thing.” Gina commented. “Where is he now?”

“Kent’s been taken to a high security prison not too far from the city.” Jack replied. “That’s where he will stay for now.”

“As long as he never comes back here or goes anywhere near your father, I’ll be happy” Gina said.

Gina looked around the corridor and noticed that Hugo was not there.

“Where’s Hugo?”

“Not sure” Jack replied. “He was so upset by all of this, I suppose he went back home.”

“I better go and check on him, and I better take Xavier home as well.” Gina noted. “Now, you call me, the minute your Dad’s out of theatre and I will come straight back, OK?”

“I will” Jack replied. Charlie, overhearing the conversation came towards them.

“Gina, if you want, I can take Xavier home. Ruby and I are about to head off too.” Charlie suggested.

“Actually that would be good thanks” Gina replied. “This would also give me time to get a quick check-up on Brendan. Thank you Charlie.”

“No worries” Charlie responded. “Let’s go Rubes.”

+++++

A few minutes later at the opposite end of the hospital, Gina was with Brendan, who was still asleep.

“Hi sweetheart, I missed you” Gina smiled at her son and gave him a kiss in the forehead, carefully not to wake him up. Gina looked over at the table and noticed a letter folded up on the bedside table. Grabbing the note, Gina unfolded the letter and began to read it.

Dear Brendan,

I am so proud of you.

I hope you get well soon and that you and Xavier won’t give mum a hard time. Sadly I can’t stay with you, as I have to leave town. I can never forgive myself for what happened to Uncle Tony and I think it’s best for everyone, especially your cousin Lucas, that I leave the Bay. Maybe, someday in the future, I will see you, Mum and Xavier, and we can all be a family again.

Please don’t hate me for doing this. I already hate myself.

I’ll miss you.

Hugo.

“Oh no, Hugo!” Gina gasped in shock.

+++++

4:30AM

“Thanks for everything” Xavier said as he climbed out and closed the back door of Charlie’s patrol car.

“No worries.” Charlie replied.

“Bye Rubes.”

“Whatever” Ruby replied.

Xavier unlocked the door into the annexe of the Holden House and went in.

“Hugo? Are you there?” Xavier called out. Hearing no answer, he went into his brother’s bedroom.

Turning on the light, Xavier was shocked when he saw all his clothes gone from the wardrobe and his bags were missing.

“Oh my God!” Xavier whispered. The mobile phone suddenly rang.

“Hello?...................Mum, Hi……………….Listen, something’s wrong. I think Hugo’s gone. He’s taken all his stuff, he’s not here…………………..what? a letter?............................OK, I’m going to see if I can find him. It might not be too late………………….I’ll be careful…….OK. Bye.”

Xavier opened the cabinet and took out his torch. Leaving the house, Xavier switched the torch on and began looking for his big brother.

+++++

Meanwhile at the Beach, Hugo was in tears, curled up by himself, alone in the dark.

He opened his backpack and took out a bottle of Alcohol. Unscrewing the cap, Hugo drank it and then tossed the bottle away. He then took out a small book from his bag and opened it. Inside, it was a photo album. Hugo flicked through the pages, reminiscing about the wonderful family he had – his mum and his two younger brothers. He stopped suddenly when he saw a picture of his Uncle Tony.

“I’m so sorry, Uncle Tony” Hugo cried. “Please forgive me.”

Hugo was interrupted when he suddenly heard his name being yelled out.

“Hugo?” Xavier called out. Xavier flashed the torch ahead of him and caught his brother curled up on the sand. Xavier ran towards him.

“Xavier?” Hugo spoke. Xavier knelt beside him and pulled him into a tight hug.

“Hugo, thank God I found you.”

+++++

5:00AM

Gina was heading back home when her mobile phone rang. Turning on her earpiece, she answered the call.

“Hello?.................Jack, what’s going on………………..Oh thank God the surgery was a complete success. What’s the result?................Oh my God, I’m so happy to hear that. I’m on my way. I’ll let Xavier know……………….OK. Bye.”

Gina turned around onto the main street along the beach but stopped suddenly when she saw Hugo’s car parked on the side. Gina parked behind it and got out of her car.

“HUGO?” Gina called out. Seeing that Hugo wasn’t inside his car, Gina headed towards the beach.

“HUGO, ARE YOU THERE?”

“MUM, OVER HERE” Xavier yelled out, hearing his mother yell. Gina saw Xavier flashing his torch and rushed over.

“OH MY GOD, HUGO, THANK GOD YOU’RE ALRIGHT!”

“IT’S ALL MY FAULT, MUM” Hugo cried. “UNCLE TONY’S DEAD AND IT’S ALL MY FAULT!” Gina and Xavier were shocked after hearing this.

“Hugo, your Uncle’s not dead. He was taken to surgery.”

“What?” Hugo was stunned.

“Jack just called me a minute ago and said that the surgery was a complete success. Tony managed to beat all the odds and the surgeon said that he may even make a full recovery.

“Oh my God, I’m so happy to hear that.” Hugo smiled. Xavier gave him a hug.

“There’s no need to feel guilty. Come on, let’s go and see him.” Gina smiled.

Xavier and Gina helped Hugo stand up, but Hugo began to wobble.

“I’ve had a bit to drink” Hugo confessed.

“Hmm. You better come with me then” Gina said. “Xavier, why don’t you take Hugo’s bags to the back of my car. As for you Hugo, you can leave your car here and come back for it in the morning when you’ve sobered up. Just make sure it’s locked.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Dinner In The City)

Ray asks Leah out on a date.

Lucas is angered at Hugo’s presence in the Hospital.

CHAPTER 38: DINNER IN THE CITY:

5:30AM

At the hospital, Rachel, Martha, Jack and Lucas were the only ones left in the corridor. Alf, Colleen, Irene and Roman had already left to catch up on some truly needed rest back at their homes. Gina, Hugo and Xavier arrived and approached Jack and Martha, who were standing near the door to Tony’s room.

“How is he now?” Gina asked.

“Dad’s still unconscious from the operation” Jack replied. “But at least Julie said that Dad should be able to recover now.”

“I’m glad to hear the good news.” Gina smiled.

“You know, Julie looked guilty earlier. She spent the whole night apologising to Jack and Lucas about thinking that Tony wasn’t going to make it through the night.” Martha said.

“Don’t worry, it’s OK.” Xavier replied. “I guess she was just as worried as we all were. It was a terrible night.”

“It wasn’t her fault” Jack reassured his wife.

Jack looked at Hugo and saw Hugo was crying.

“Hugo, are you OK?” Hugo was crying tears of joy.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that........I’m so happy that Uncle Tony’s alive!” Jack hugged him.

“It’s OK, Hugo. Remember, none of this was your fault.”

At that moment, Lucas, who was still asleep, began to wake up. He became angry at the sight of seeing Hugo from a distance with Jack and the others.

+++++

An hour and a half later, the sun rose up again over the Bay.

7:00AM

Leah opened up the Diner and began to unstack the chairs from the table, when Ray walked in.

“Here, let me help you with the chairs.” Ray said, moving to a nearby table and taking out the chairs.

“Hey Ray, thanks for helping” Leah responded with a smile.

“Where’s Irene and the others?”

“They’re not coming in until late.” Leah replied. “They’re all exhausted.”

Ray nodded. “I suppose they are. I just found out from a friend about the whole Tony Holden situation. It’s just dreadful.”

“Yeah, well luckily they managed to revive him”

“He’s one lucky man. After all he’s been through with the robbery at his gym.....speaking of which, is there any more news about that?” Ray asked.

“Not much” Leah replied. “Charlie and Jack still have no clue about who was responsible.”

“I see.” Ray thought.

Ray began to look all shaky and nervous, which caught Leah’s attention.

“Ray, are you alright?” a concerned Leah asked. Ray reached into his pocket and pulled out two vouchers, and gave one to Leah.

“What’s this?”

“Leah, I have to confess something to you.” Ray replied.

“er......OK, what is it?” Leah asked.

“Since the past few days, I have been coming here every day.”

Leah chuckled. “Yeah I know, you’re our best customer.”

“It’s not because of the food, but it’s because of you. I couldn’t stop seeing you.” Leah looked worried.

“Ray.......er.......what are you saying?”

“Well, I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me tonight?”

“Dinner?” Leah questioned. “Are you asking me on a date?”

“No, no. Just dinner...............actually, yes. A dinner date.” Ray replied nervously.

“Wow..............and what’s this?” Leah asked, holding up the voucher.

“That’s a voucher for the new Buffet in the city. There’s also going to be an orchestra ensemble there tonight. That’s why I wanted to take you with me to dinner tonight.”

Leah smiled. “Wow, Ray...............OK then. Yes it is. I would love to go with you to Dinner tonight.”

Ray smiled. “Great. I guess i’ll pick you up at your place at six.”

“Six it is.” Leah smiled.

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Back To Earth)

Annie, Jai, Ruby and Xavier notice Roman with a blonde stranger. Who is she?

Gina and Jack clash over Brenda’s death.

Tony begins to wake up, but what does he say to Rachel that leaves her in shock?

CHAPTER 39: BACK TO EARTH

8:30AM

At the hospital, Gina and Martha were seated along the corridor. Rachel, who was already awake, was inside the room, sitting on her fiancé’s bedside.

Jack came back inside. He had arrived after dropping off Xavier and Hugo to Hugo’s car that he left near the beach. Seeing Rachel with his Dad through the window, Jack came up towards the girls.

Martha stood up.

“Hey guys, I’m just about to grab myself a coffee. Anyone want one?”

“None for me thanks” Gina replied.

“What about you, babe?”

“OK, I’ll have one, thanks” Jack replied. Martha went off along the corridor.

Seeing that Martha has gone, Jack began to speak to his aunt.

“Actually, I’m glad that I’ve got you alone now. I need to talk to you about something.” Jack said.

“Sure, anything.” Gina replied. Both Jack and Gina sat down.

“While I was driving the boys back, I overheard Hugo muttering to Xavier that grandma Brenda died. Is that true?”

Gina was confused as to what to tell Jack, but knowing that Jack will know the truth eventually, she decided to tell him.

“Yes, it’s true.” Gina sighed. “When I got to Alice Springs, I went to the hotel to book a room for the night, and then I went straight away to the hospital to see your grandmother. Once I got there, the nurse told me that they may have to do an operation on her. They said that there were more internal injuries that they didn’t detect earlier, since Dad attacked her. When the bleeding didn’t recover, they said that the surgery needed to be done immediately. But.....” Gina began to shed tears and her voice began to tremble.

“......there were complications during the surgery. An hour later, the nurse told me that they lost her heartbeat during the operation, and that there was nothing they can do to save her.”

“Oh my God” Jack sighed. “So Kent is responsible for grandma’s death.”

“An hour after Mum was pronounced dead, I rang up Hugo and told him the bad news.” Gina spoke.

“You should have also told us.” Jack said.

“I know, I’m sorry Jack.”

“So what about Dad, we have to tell him.” Gina suddenly grabbed onto Jack’s arm.

“NO. Your Dad cannot know about your grandma’s death. Not yet anyway.”

“Why not? Dad’s gonna find out the truth eventually. He has a right to know.” Jack argued.

“I know, but not now” Gina replied. “Promise me that you won’t tell anyone else, especially your Dad about this.”

“But Aunt Gina, Dad’s......” Jack was abruptly interrupted by his aunt.

“PROMISE ME!” Gina firmly ordered. At that moment, Martha arrived back with the coffee.

“What’s going on?” Martha asked, worried.

“Nothing, Nothing to worry about.” Gina replied. “Actually I have to go and see Brendan, so I’ll leave you two alone.”

As Gina got up, she look sternly at Jack once more, before walking off.

“Something wrong?” Martha asked.

“Don’t worry babe, there’s nothing to worry about” Jack replied.

+++++

2:00PM

Xavier was walking along the Beach when he bumped into Ruby, Annie and Jai.

“Hey guys” Xavier greeted the trio. Ruby looked at him in disgust.

“Oh look, it’s Xavier. Are you here to ruin my life, amongst other things?” Ruby sarcastically asked. Annie and Jai looked puzzled.

“What’s going on?” Annie asked.

“Am I missing something here?” Jai said.

“I take it that Rubes is still angry about the pranks we pulled at the Diner” Xavier replied.

“Well DUH, I’m still angry” Ruby argued. “Why did you do that to me?”

“I’m sorry, I guess I wanted that job as seriously as you did.”

“HEY! I WAS THE ONE LOOKING FOR THE JOB. I NEEDED THE JOB!” Ruby argued.

“If you hate me so much because of the job, why did you bother coming to see me at the hospital last night?” Xavier asked.

“I didn’t go there to see you. I went there to offer some support to Rachel.”

“Sure you did.” Xavier scoffed. “You kept giving me a stare every time I was near you, so I don’t believe you when you say that.......” Xavier was interrupted.

“Hey guys, look.” Jai pointed out at a distance. They all turned around and saw Roman talking with a blonde stranger.

“That’s Roman” Annie replied. “Why isn’t he at work?”

“More importantly, who is that blonde he’s talking to?” a curious Ruby asked.

+++++

“Tony, please wake up” Rachel was in tears as she held onto the hand of her fiancé, who was still unconscious, lying on the bed.

“Please wake up. I need you. I want to be with you. I love you.”

Suddenly, Tony began to slowly open his eyes and squeezed her hand gently. Rachel was startled. Looking straight into Tony’s half-open eyes, she cried tears of joy at the sight of him waking up.

“Tony, I’m so glad you’re awake” Rachel smiled.

“Beth” Tony silently whispered. “Thank God for being here with me.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Weapons)

Leah is worried when Ray becomes secretive.

Jack, Charlie and Richard protect Tony from yet another hurdle in the Kent Holden case.

CHAPTER 40: WEAPONS

“Tony, it’s Rachel, not Beth.” Rachel looked confused.

“Rachel!” Tony suddenly realised his mistake. Rachel got up off her seat and began to head towards the door.

“Wait. Where are you going?” Tony asked.

“I’m sorry Tony, I’m just………confused, shocked, I’m sorry. I’ll get Julie to check on you.”

Jack and Martha saw Rachel exit the room.

“Rach, is Dad OK?”

“Yes he is. He’s awake” Rachel replied.

“Oh that’s great news. Can I see him?” Jack asked. Rachel was still in a daze.

“Rachel?” Jack spoke again. “Can I see Dad?”

“er…..yes. Yes you can” Rachel replied. Jack walked in, closing the door behind him.

“Rachel, are you OK?” Martha asked. She was worried for her friend.

“Yeah, I’m OK, thanks. It’s just……”

“Just what? Martha questioned. “What’s going on?”

“When Tony woke up, he called me Beth” Rachel replied. “Why would he call me Beth?”

+++++

“Dad!” Jack exclaimed with happiness as he hugged his father.

“Jack. Glad to see you.” Tony replied. “Where’s Luc?”

“He’s at home” Jack replied. Tony tried to sit up on the bed, but moaned in pain. Jack held on to him.

“Dad, just take it easy. You’ve just come from a major operation. In fact, you shouldn’t talk at all, just try to relax and breathe” Jack fixed the oxygen mask over his father’s mouth.

At that moment, Charlie walked in quietly.

“Hey” Charlie whispered. Tony stretched out his hand and Charlie held on to it.

“Thank you, Charlie” Tony said, giving her a weak smile.

“Dad, shh……just relax, remember?” Jack reminded him.

“I’m just glad you’re alive, Tony.” Charlie smiled. “Actually, Jack, I need to speak to you. It’s urgent.” Jack nodded. At that moment, Nurse Julie walked in.

“I’ll just be outside. Julie will take care of you.” Jack whispered. He and Charlie walked out into the corridor.

“So Charlie, what’s up?” Jack asked.

“I just got a call from Senior Constable Jason Nelson at North Valley Police Station” Charlie replied. “They’ve arrested a guy named Doug Greenfield for drug dealing and theft.”

“Doug?..........er…….OK, and why is this important for me to know?” Jack asked.

“Because Doug confessed to Jason that the gun he stole from their station was sold to your father.”

“What?....you mean, the gun that Dad had when he was at Kent’s house?”

Charlie nodded.

“Are you saying that Dad had secretly made a deal with Doug to steal the gun and then sell it to him, so that he could plot revenge on Kent?”

“That’s what it looks like” Charlie replied. “You seem a bit surprised. Do you know who Doug is?”

“I have no idea” Jack replied. “I’m just trying to figure out how Dad knew this guy in the first place. Anyway, so what happens now?”

“Jason wants to press charges against your Dad for illegal possession of a firearm.”

“WHAT?” Jack was in shock.

“Jack calm down. Listen, I’ve known Jason for a few years, and I can tell you, the two of us never agree on anything. He can be a bit hard-headed at times.”

“But Charlie, it wasn’t entirely Dad’s fault!” Jack was in tears. “Seeing Kent, he must have been just in shock and confusion, that Dad didn’t know what he was doing. Please, Charlie, you have to stop Jason from handing down those charges. We almost lost Dad last night. Hasn’t he been through enough?”

“Listen, Jack. This is a SERIOUS case. Technically, Tony should be charged with obtaining a gun illegally, as well as planning, what could have turned out to be a murder if we didn’t arrive in time. But after what I’ve seen him go through physically, emotionally and mentally, it wouldn’t be, in my opinion, the best thing to continue with the charges. Jail isn’t the right place for Tony right now. He needs help.

“But how are we going to convince Jason? Jack asked.

“Well, after the call, I quickly spoke to Richard, and both of us are going down to North Valley Police station tomorrow morning and we will be speaking to him.”

“Please convince him to drop the charges, please!” Jack begged.

“I will do my best.”

+++++

9:00PM

Ray and Leah had just arrived back from Dinner at the city. They decided to stop by at Ray’s Real Estate agency, in which it was empty – just the two of them, alone. Leah and Ray sat down at the main foyer.

“Ray, I just wanna say thanks again for tonight. It was lovely.” Leah smiled.

“Anything for you” Ray smiled. “Hey, why don’t we open a bottle of Champagne?”

“Since when do you keep Champagne at the office?”

“Well, we always have a few bottles in store.” Ray replied. “We usually give them away as a gift to our clients when they purchase a house from us. Wait here. I’ll go to the kitchen and get one for us.”

“OK” Leah smiled as Ray headed off.

Leah stood up and walked around. She had never been inside Ray’s real estate agency before. She saw the vibrant colours of Red and Yellow walls, covered with various art and posters advertising homes for sale. Turning to her left, she saw a door which was partially open. Wondering what was inside, Leah slowly headed towards the room and slowly poked her head through. At that moment, Ray walked back.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Ray yelled. Running up to the door, he pulled Leah aside and closed the door.

“Ray, I…….” Leah was interrupted.

“THAT’S PRIVATE” Ray replied.

“Ray, I’m sorry. I didn’t know”

“WHAT WERE YOU DOING, LOOKING THROUGH THERE?” Ray demanded.

“I’m sorry, I was just curious” Leah replied.

“EXCUSE ME?”

“I’ve never been inside your real estate agency. I just wanted to explore and see what your place looks like. I’m sorry.” Leah was close to tears. Ray took a moment to calm down.

“Leah, don’t be sorry. I should be the one who’s sorry” Ray spoke. “I shouldn’t have yelled at you. It’s just……”

“Just what?” Leah asked.

“I’m a bit secretive of the things in my office, and I don’t usually let anyone in there. I know, it sounds stupid, but……..” Leah interrupted.

“No, Ray, it’s not stupid at all. I shouldn’t have peeked in. I should have known that the office is yours and whatever’s in there is none of my business.”

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s just forget it ever happened.” Ray smiled. “So, shall we open the bottle?”

+++++

11:30PM

At the hospital, Rachel and Martha had already gone home. Jack was about to head off too, but first he stopped by in Tony’s room. Jack saw that his father was asleep. Sitting on the chair next to the bed, Jack whispered quietly into his ear.

“Don’t worry, Dad. It’s all over now. Everything will be OK again. We’re gonna make sure Jason doesn’t put you in Jail.”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Commitent)

Will Tony face criminal charges? Meanwhile, Rachel questions his commitment to their relationship.

After a storm passes through Alice Springs, Charlie finally finds out about Brenda’s death.

Lucas refuses to accept Hugo’s apology.

CHAPTER NOTE: Flashbacks present in this chapter are highlighted in BLUE

CHAPTER 41: COMMITMENT

Another beautiful sunrise glowed over Summer Bay. In the Diner, Lucas had just ordered a breakfast meal for himself.

8:00AM

“Here you go love.” Irene said, handing him a container.

“Thanks Irene” Lucas smiled. As he headed towards the door, Hugo entered.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” Lucas scowled at his cousin.

“I came here to get breakfast for Xavier and myself” Hugo replied. “But actually, I’m glad I ran into you. I just want to say……..”

“Sorry?” Lucas interrupted.

“Yes” Hugo replied. “Lucas, I’m sorry for……….” Hugo was interrupted again.

“Don’t bother” Lucas sternly replied. “Dad didn’t deserve all this. He could have died.”

“But Uncle Tony’s alive. He’ll be on the mend. Surely that’s all that matters now.”

“Dad wouldn’t have gone through this if it wasn’t for you, so I’m sorry, but I can’t forgive you, and I don’t think I ever will!” Lucas stormed out of the Diner, leaving Hugo shocked.

At that moment, Xavier walked in.

“Xavier, what are you doing here?” Hugo asked. “I told you I would bring the food back home.”

“Yeah, I know” Xavier replied. “But first I need to speak to Irene about something.”

+++++

11:30AM

Jack arrived at the station to hear the verdict from Charlie and Richard, who had just arrived back from meeting Constable Jason Nelson at North Valley Police Station.

“What’s going on? What did he say? Please give me some good news.” Jack begged. He noticed Richard looking serious.

“Richard, I know that look, and I don’t like it.”

“Well” Richard spoke. “It was very hard to convince him. Very, very hard. But……….we did it. He eventually decided to drop the charges. On two conditions…….”

“What conditions” Jack asked.

“One condition is that your Dad never ever does something stupid like dealing with guns ever again, no matter what state of mind he’s in”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure of that” Jack replied. “What’s the other condition?”

“You have to buy him a beer!” Richard joked. They all laughed. “I’m just kidding, mate.”

“Thanks mate, I owe you one” Jack replied.

“You should thank Charlie. After all, she did most of the convincing.”

“It was nothing” Charlie replied.

“Thank you so much!” Jack smiled, hugging her. Richard looked jealous.

“Hey, what about my hug? I helped.”

“Don’t worry mate, I haven’t forgotten you” Jack replied, giving him a hug. “So tell me, how did you guys do it?”

“We pulled a trick up our sleeves” Richard replied.

“Yeah” Charlie added. “We made a deal with him. We told him that we’ll keep the media away from his station if he drops the charges. If the media found out that his station is poorly secured, which led to Doug stealing the gun, there will be a lot of very angry North Valley residents. After years of having a somewhat troubled reputation in the suburb, Jason doesn’t want to add anymore damage to his career.”

“Good thinking!” Jack smiled. “Anyway, did you figure out how Dad knew Doug?”

“Oh my God! How on earth can I forget to ask Jason that?” Charlie yelled. “I’m being too forgetful nowadays, and I’m supposed to be the Senior Constable.”

“Don’t worry about it” Jack chuckled. “And I suppose it doesn’t matter if we never find out how Dad knew about Doug because the most important part is that it’s all over. Dad will be able to move on.

“Yeah, you’re right Jack” Charlie smiled. Hearing her desk phone ring, she raced into her office and picked up the phone.

“Charlie Buckton speaking…………………..what?.........................when was this?...............has it been confirmed?............Why didn’t you tell us earlier?..............I see. Thanks for calling. Bye.”

Jack walked in the office at that moment.

“Something wrong?” Jack asked.

“That was the hospital in Alice Springs” Charlie replied. “I’m sorry, Jack, but you grandmother Brenda has died. It was actually a couple of days ago, but there was a massive storm there and they only now managed to reach us.”

“I know” Jack sighed. “I found out from Hugo and Aunt Gina yesterday.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I’m sorry, It’s just so hard to deal with everything that’s happened.” Jack replied.

“It’s OK, it’s not your fault. I suppose you’re going to break the news to your father. Does he know?”

“Not yet. I suppose I’ll have to tell Dad.” Jack replied. He suddenly had a flashback

Your Dad cannot know about your grandma’s death. Not yet anyway.

“Promise me that you won’t tell anyone else, especially your Dad about this.”

“PROMISE ME!”

“Something wrong, Jack?” Charlie asked.

“Nothing, nothing” Jack replied. “I’ll tell Dad.”

“I have to call the Sergeant and let them now that Kent’s attempted murder charges to your grandmother can now be upgraded to murder.” Charlie informed him.

+++++

At the hospital, Rachel went into Tony’s room.

1:00PM

“Rachel, glad to see you” Tony smiled.

“Same” Rachel bluntly replied. “What did Julie say?”

“She said that I should be able to talk just a little bit now.” The lungs are slowly now in the healing process.

“Good, because you’re gonna need to start talking. I want some answers.” Tony looked confused.

“Sorry? Rach, I don’t know what you’re talking about?”

“Why did you call me Beth?” Rachel asked. “Tell me the truth, Tony. Do you still love me?”

+++++

NEXT CHAPTER (Title: Teen Friendships)

Xavier gives Ruby a letter from Irene.

Tony tells Rachel about Beth in his dream.

Brendan plays a trick on his visitors.

Gina continues to pressure Jack not to tell Tony about Brenda’s death.

Archived